Fixtures Sunday May 12th - Manchester United - Old Trafford - 4:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], kiwipete and 46 guests

Post #386121  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:50 am 

The EU Court of Justice has ruled that FIFA and UEFA don't control football as they thought, so restrictions to prohibit the Super League are unlawful.

Should be interesting.

Post #386122  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:55 pm 

fixture changes

Our final league game of the month sees Newcastle United make the long trip down to Emirates Stadium, and while this fixture remains on Saturday, February 24, it now has an 8pm kick-off and will be broadcast on TNT Sports.

utter wankers. That’s absurd think about the newcastle fans trip

Post #386123  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
fixture changes

Our final league game of the month sees Newcastle United make the long trip down to Emirates Stadium, and while this fixture remains on Saturday, February 24, it now has an 8pm kick-off and will be broadcast on TNT Sports.

What makes you think anyone gives a f*&^ about the Newcastle fans or their rotten team. About time it happened to our opposition and not to us.

Why dont the teams get together and refuse to play these late games while they're at it they can vote PGMOL out and replace the refs with AI. :7laughter:

Post #386124  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:27 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
fixture changes

What makes you think anyone gives a f*&^ about the Newcastle fans or their rotten team. About time it happened to our opposition and not to us.

:

well to be honest I was thinking about myself mostly as saturday night is typically date night and the truth is it will happen to us too.

Post #386125  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

:

well to be honest I was thinking about myself mostly as saturday night is typically date night and the truth is it will happen to us too.

To be fair, I very much doubt there is lengthy queue outside your front door on a Saturday night so I wouldn’t worry too much :15laughter:

Post #386126  Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:38 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

To be fair, I very much doubt there is lengthy queue outside your front door on a Saturday night so I wouldn’t worry too much :15laughter:

definitely not as i’ve been married for 19 years.

Post #386127  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:49 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
fixture changes

Why dont the teams get together and refuse to play these late games while they're at it they can vote PGMOL out and replace the refs with AI. :7laughter:

I do agree on these absurd kick off times not considering fans' journeys home, but in nearly every case the late kick offs are for TV coverage so the clubs are massively benefitting from the TV revenue money. TV companies offer up huge sums of money to the clubs to be allowed to shift the fixtures how they want. The match going fan is the one who misses out but money talks. Clubs voting with their feet is somewhat biting the hand that feeds

Post #386128  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:51 am 

Arsenal
“Our position in relation to the European Super League has not changed. We will continue to play in UEFA competitions and continue to work with fellow European clubs and the European Club Association (ECA)”.

Lots of clubs came out yesterday with this statement a few hours after the super league intention was announced. Then last night I saw lots of criticism of Arsenal and Liverpool online for not having released a statement within this 12 hour timeframe. The club now has and everyone can stop the pearl clutching over it

Post #386129  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:42 am 

I don't think we'll get a striker in January unless there is a too good to turn down bid for Nketiah. Priority will rightly go to the defence.

We're down to 5 fit defenders and will be for a while with Tomiyasu at the Asian Cup. Even Partey who has been used at RB is injured and off to AFCON. I don't think we have the flexibility in defence that we do in other positions.

At striker we know that Jesus, Nketiah play there, but I'd also say Trossard as a false 9 is effective and Havertz can also play there. It isn't ideal if Jesus is injured or needs a break but it is a lot better cover than we have in defence if Saliba gets injured for example.

Post #386130  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:00 pm 

PSV manager after they lost to us 4-0, the only game they've lost all season. SPV have won 15 out of 15 in the dutch league.

Of all the on pitch things Arteta has changed at Arsenal I think the attitude off the ball has been the best. That desire to work hard and defend for each other. I look back to those late Wenger days and whilst we were still wonderful on the ball and technically superb the number of counter attacking goals which were like a hot knife through butter was staggering, the lack of positional awareness, or even the lack of numbers defending was wretched. If you're brave enough go and watch the pair of Bayern 5-1 games and imagine the current team doing anything like that defensively

Attachments:

Post #386131  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:27 pm 

Arsenal will appoint Zafar Iqbal as new first-team doctor. He’s the current Head of Sports Medicine at Crystal Palace. Previously worked for Liverpool and Tottenham. He replaces Gary O’Driscoll

Post #386132  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:51 pm 

Sheff Utd take the lead away at Villa 0-1, in to injury time now. Who saw this result coming.
Not be fair sheff Utd did a good job of the low block and all our defence and as the game wore on they got more brave as Villa tired and ran out of ideas.

Post #386133  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:01 pm 

finishes 1-1 still good........

Post #386134  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:03 pm 

Finished 1-1. Slip up from Villa, they were brilliant against a very depleted City, we battered them but somehow contrived to not score. In the end they’re an Emery side, once teams work out that offside trap they’ll be yo-yoyo-ing 4-3’s before long. No real standout quality player wise either imo.

Post #386135  Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:44 pm 

Happy Christmas to all. Keep well and love one another.

Post #386136  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:44 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

Compliments of the season to you and yours.

Post #386137  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:05 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

Happy Holidays (I lived in LA for many years, we keep it PC...lol) omoh. You are one of the true gems of the forum.

Despite some very heated, possibly over the line arguments, debates, from members on here over the years, you were always a polite person, spoke with reason, patience and you avoided (successfully by the way) any bullying and such antics.

Personally enjoyed (and wish you'd do far more) comments on Arsenal from before most of us were fans. Blessings to you and your family.

Post #386138  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:13 am 

Rich wrote:
Sheff Utd take the lead away at Villa 0-1, in to injury time now. Who saw this result coming.
Not be fair sheff Utd did a good job of the low block and all our defence and as the game wore on they got more brave as Villa tired and ran out of ideas.

Obviously completely unexpected. However, it must be said, Villa didn't play the same style and tempo against the Blades. I think they were over-confident and saw a win as a given to some extent.

Really nervous about today.

Post #386139  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:18 am 

He probably won't do it because Havertz scored, but I'd definitely go with Jorginho this evening. We're a tiny bit wobbly defensively on both flanks, given that White hasn't been quite at his best, and Zinny getting exposed against Salah and co doesn't bear thinking about.

I think we can hurt Liverpool but we need to be pragmatic and prepared to dig in. The last thing we need is a high octane end to end battle with the Anfield crowd wound up.

Post #386140  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:55 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Compliments of the season to you and yours.

Having the Arsenal game on the Saturday evening before Christmas, when one inevitably has some social obligation, is a bit of a low blow and puts a damper on the Christmas spirit.

Nevertheless, I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas that doesn't clash too much with the football!

Post #386141  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:33 am 

Rice leads the entire prem on attacking half interceptions and attacking third interceptions. Interceptions so much more important than tackles, interceptions mean you gain possession - tackles don’t.
It’s a big reason why we’ve had so much control in games, Rice can almost single handedly keep the opposition away from our goal.

Already has to be in the running for PFA player of the year

Post #386142  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 am 

Ash wrote:
Finished 1-1. Slip up from Villa, they were brilliant against a very depleted City, we battered them but somehow contrived to not score. In the end they’re an Emery side, once teams work out that offside trap they’ll be yo-yoyo-ing 4-3’s before long. No real standout quality player wise either imo.

I agree there is a period of adjustment to new high quality managers, spurs are enjoying this period as well and to some degree last season we benefited from this as well. But when you do well your opponents prepare for you much more than concentrate on their own game so it becomes increasingly more difficult.

Watkins has had a superb season, but his success is a lot to do with his movement and runs, running the channels and dragging CB where they don’t want to be when he has space. Sheff Utd made him operate in no space at all - worth remembering when we’re looking at a new striker. For us a striker has to be able to operate in tight spaces as they won’t get acres to run in to.

I think you’re right about Villa’s lack of real stand out quality player but they don’t necessarily have a weak link and I think they have plenty of players who could easily slot in to the top 3 sides in the league and not look out of place. Martinez (through gritted teeth) is quality, Pau Torres looks classy, Douglas Luiz, Diaby, Watkins could all do jobs for better sides.

Post #386143  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:41 am 

Decaf wrote:
He probably won't do it because Havertz scored, but I'd definitely go with Jorginho this evening. We're a tiny bit wobbly defensively on both flanks, given that White hasn't been quite at his best, and Zinny getting exposed against Salah and co doesn't bear thinking about.

I think we can hurt Liverpool but we need to be pragmatic and prepared to dig in. The last thing we need is a high octane end to end battle with the Anfield crowd wound up.

I think Jorginho is still injured. White has apparently been carrying a knock.
Hopefully Liverpool are equally fearful of Tsimikas up against Salah and Klopp’s favourite Martinelli up against Trent. Our left side will be a fascinating game of poker. Both full backs get forward and in to midfield to get on the ball. Salah rarely tracks back so how to the teams balance defending against the space they might have when they attack.

Post #386144  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:44 am 

I think today particularly early on when Liverpool will want to come out high press and high tempo we’re going to need to use the longer ball more often. Then it is all about winning those second balls and duels.

Start losing too many of them and the crowd get up. Even basic dawdling on a ball in defence that just gets blocked out for our throw will fire up a home crowd even though it does absolutely nothing in the actual game.

We must be sharp from the first whistle, take our time where needed, take as much of the early sting out of it as possible and be brave on the ball and move it quickly…..and fight like dogs!

Post #386145  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:45 am 

Rich wrote:
Ash wrote:

I agree there is a period of adjustment to new high quality managers, spurs are enjoying this period as well and to some degree last season we benefited from this as well. But when you do well your opponents prepare for you much more than concentrate on their own game so it becomes increasingly more difficult.

Watkins has had a superb season, but his success is a lot to do with his movement and runs, running the channels and dragging CB where they don’t want to be when he has space. Sheff Utd made him operate in no space at all - worth remembering when we’re looking at a new striker. For us a striker has to be able to operate in tight spaces as they won’t get acres to run in to.

I think you’re right about Villa’s lack of real stand out quality player but they don’t necessarily have a weak link and I think they have plenty of players who could easily slot in to the top 3 sides in the league and not look out of place. Martinez (through gritted teeth) is quality, Pau Torres looks classy, Douglas Luiz, Diaby, Watkins could all do jobs for better sides.

Hi Rich, no weak links is a great way to describe their squad. But I’m not sure they have many game breakers. Top 4 squad atm for sure. I’m sore about our loss to them and I’ll be marking the return for revenge.

That list of players is the exact one I had as ones I’d be happy to have in our squad. I feel like I could be a bit more appreciative of them, but to their credit I see them as rivals so I’m just invested in them failing.

Very interesting comments about Ollie Watkins, I’ve felt he’s not “top” tier, and I wonder really is he just a small step above Nketiah, but you’re right he’s also not the type of striker we need. Original Ronaldo would do it I think :icon_mrgreen:

Post #386146  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:59 am 

Rich wrote:
I think today particularly early on when Liverpool will want to come out high press and high tempo we’re going to need to use the longer ball more often. Then it is all about winning those second balls and duels.

Start losing too many of them and the crowd get up. Even basic dawdling on a ball in defence that just gets blocked out for our throw will fire up a home crowd even though it does absolutely nothing in the actual game.

We must be sharp from the first whistle, take our time where needed, take as much of the early sting out of it as possible and be brave on the ball and move it quickly…..and fight like dogs!

Had the same thought, managers invariably think different to us fans so I wonder what Arteta has in store? Raya dribbling the ball out no doubt!!

Post #386147  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:09 pm 

I know they’ve got injuries but that Man U line up for the game v West Ham is awful. West Ham have the better team on paper easily I’d say

Post #386148  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:54 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich, no weak links is a great way to describe their squad. But I’m not sure they have many game breakers. Top 4 squad atm for sure. I’m sore about our loss to them and I’ll be marking the return for revenge.

That list of players is the exact one I had as ones I’d be happy to have in our squad. I feel like I could be a bit more appreciative of them, but to their credit I see them as rivals so I’m just invested in them failing.

Very interesting comments about Ollie Watkins, I’ve felt he’s not “top” tier, and I wonder really is he just a small step above Nketiah, but you’re right he’s also not the type of striker we need. Original Ronaldo would do it I think :icon_mrgreen:

It is why I'm always wary of both CB and Striker links when the teams they play in don't necessarily play a dominant front foot style of football. Even going back to the Vardy bid we made, the typical game we have to play didn't really suit his strengths. Maguire looking great at Leicester then ropey at Man U is another, being asked to defend 1v1 with 40 yards of space behind him - exposing his weaknesses, but at Leicester they were hidden.
I can see how a target man striker would benefit us, both in general play for holding it up and certainly from crosses against packed defences. But as a leading striker who is going to snaffle every chance we create the list of strikers able to improve us in that regard is maybe only 15-20 in the world, if you then omit the ones that aren't attainable (Kane, Haaland etc) then you're probably down to under 10 strikers in the world.

Post #386149  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:08 pm 

West Ham lead Man U 1-0. Bowen with the goal, he's some player. I think when Salah decides he leaves Liverpool (possibly to Saudi) I think Liverpool will go for Bowen on their right side.

Not only would Bowen, Pacqueta and Kudus walk in to this Man U side, they'd be their best 3 players!

Post #386150  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:11 pm 

West Ham 2-0 Man U now.

I still maintain Man U are in a false position in the league. They really are a mid table team. They've snatched results in games they didn't deserve to win and didn't dominate, they did it loads of times last season as well

Post #386151  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:21 pm 

These are pointless probably, but they are fun. Hard to argue too much with this, although both fullbacks inverting is perhaps a bit much :laughing7:

Attachments:

Post #386152  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:25 pm 

:42laughter: Utd falling apart
Attachment:

Post #386153  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:52 pm 

There must be var reviews for 2nd yellow cards. They have the same impact on the game as a straight red which var will decide on. Var acts on straight reds, goals and penalties - it needs to add in 2nd yellow cards as the 4 biggest game changing things that happen in games

Post #386154  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:35 pm 

Raya, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko, Rice, Havertz, Ødegaard, Saka, Martinelli, Jesus.
Subs: Ramsdale, Cédric, Kiwior, Jorginho, Elneny, Smith Rowe, Nelson, Trossard, Nketiah.

Post #386155  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:44 pm 

Same 11 for us.
Liverpool have picked Jones and Gakpo over the more erratic (and possibly talented) Gravenbach and Nunes. Klopp has possibly sacrificed a bit of heavy metal football for the better technical control those two give him

Post #386156  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:30 pm 

This ref's a homer. Don't expect too much from him. We just must play them off the park.

Come on you Gooners.............

Post #386157  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:34 pm 

I think VAR will give it offside

Post #386158  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:35 pm 

Aaaaaaaaahhhh!!! *%^@*** have that!!! Ugh checking VAR

Post #386159  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:35 pm 

Gabby !!!!

Post #386160  Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:36 pm 

As I was saying…

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! *%^@*** HAVE THAT!!!!!!

[ 390783 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9651, 9652, 9653, 9654, 9655, 9656, 9657 ... 9770  Next