Fixtures Sunday May 12th - Manchester United - Old Trafford - 4:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz, Googlebot and 25 guests

Post #381081  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:51 am 

Arsenal doctor Gary O’Driscoll moving to Manchester United. Expected to remain in current role for transition period before completing switch later this summer.

Post #381082  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
Re: Balogun v Nketiah

I think lots of Arsenal fans like Balogun because we think he has a higher ceiling than Nketiah and we feel we’ve seen the limit of Nketiah.

I’ll try to be objective about it and put other arguments over.

Does anyone here rate Lois Openda above Nketiah? He’s a guy who also scored 21 goals in the French league last year like Balogun. And both were outscored by Lacazette.
Balogun also scored a lot of penalties, you still have to score them but they do inflate the stats a bit. He’s also completely untested in the league.

It’s an incredibly difficult decision for Arsenal to make. They made a commitment to Nketiah and Balogun has probably come on more than they imagined he would.

Balogun’s team Reims were a bottom 6 team, the job he did there would be very different to Arsenal. Obviously putting the ball in the net is the main job but a bottom 6 team don’t require one touch sharp link up play in and around the box. Most of his goals were from crosses, penalties or running in behind - he won’t get many running in behind chances for us against deep defences we play most weeks

I guess nobody can be exact about Balogun's value to Arsenal until he plays regularly for the team. Every opinion made is valid.
Case in point, there were doubts about Ramsdale transfer. Teams he was with were usually relegated, etc, etc. And we know how it played out.
My gut feel is we are making a mistake in not giving him a chance at Arsenal.

Post #381083  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:01 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I think the issue is more that they rate him but a move is a more attractive proposition for him. He has 2 players ahead of him and I think the club and its coaches are more invested in Nketiah for some reason.

It seems an easier proposition to sell Balogun than Nketiah. His stock is high right now and they will recoup more money for him.

It’s hard because a ruthless decision is required on Eddie but the club don’t seem ready to make it yet.

For me, Balogun over Nketiah any day.
I guess Arteta's tactics does not need a Balogun type player, more than a Nketiah type.

I don’t think it’s tactics it’s just that the coaches and fans have blinkers on when it comes to Eddie. I think it’s because he came through the academy. He’s provided some great moments but if we decided to sell I think he would only command interest from clubs like Palace and Brentford which is telling.

We will sell balogun, keep Nketiah then realise we need a new striker next summer mark my words

Post #381084  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:06 pm 

Sounds like arteta has booted Steve round. Wonder if we might see a certain mr cazorla back at Arsenal

Post #381085  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:00 pm 

Since Arteta took over as Arsenal manager he has spent exactly the same on transfers as every Spurs manager collectively in that same time period. This is before Rice and Timber.

But worth reminding any Spurs friends you have when they throw out how much Arteta has spent.....and look at the difference in quality of the squads!

Post #381086  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:09 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Re: Balogun v Nketiah

I think lots of Arsenal fans like Balogun because we think he has a higher ceiling than Nketiah and we feel we’ve seen the limit of Nketiah.

I’ll try to be objective about it and put other arguments over.

Does anyone here rate Lois Openda above Nketiah? He’s a guy who also scored 21 goals in the French league last year like Balogun. And both were outscored by Lacazette.
Balogun also scored a lot of penalties, you still have to score them but they do inflate the stats a bit. He’s also completely untested in the league.

It’s an incredibly difficult decision for Arsenal to make. They made a commitment to Nketiah and Balogun has probably come on more than they imagined he would.

Balogun’s team Reims were a bottom 6 team, the job he did there would be very different to Arsenal. Obviously putting the ball in the net is the main job but a bottom 6 team don’t require one touch sharp link up play in and around the box. Most of his goals were from crosses, penalties or running in behind - he won’t get many running in behind chances for us against deep defences we play most weeks

I guess nobody can be exact about Balogun's value to Arsenal until he plays regularly for the team. Every opinion made is valid.
Case in point, there were doubts about Ramsdale transfer. Teams he was with were usually relegated, etc, etc. And we know how it played out.
My gut feel is we are making a mistake in not giving him a chance at Arsenal.

I agree that I'd like to see Balogun given a chance, but realistically when do we see him being given a chance apart from if someone gets injured? Every point matters if we want to win the title, so is Arteta going to throw Balogun in to start a prem game ahead of Jesus? I think as fans it is easy to say give the kid a chance but as a manager you live and die by every result.

I think I could see a situation where Balogun is sold and next summer we're moving on Nketiah and signing a new striker to compete with jesus

Post #381087  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:34 pm 

Saliba new contract officially announced by Arsenal, he'll wear the number 2 next year

Arsenal Premier League

Win percentage
With Saliba 78%
Without Saliba 46%

Goals conceded per game
With Saliba 0.9
Without Saliba 1.6

Shots conceded per game
With Saliba 8.3
Without Saliba 10.7

Post #381088  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/uk-premier-league/2023/07/exclusive-arsenal-florian-balogun-chelsea-transfer-steve-kay

This one is still a head scratcher for me. Why doesn't Arteta rate him?
Will he light up the EPL and Arteta eat humble pie?

I think the issue is more that they rate him but a move is a more attractive proposition for him. He has 2 players ahead of him and I think the club and its coaches are more invested in Nketiah for some reason.

It seems an easier proposition to sell Balogun than Nketiah. His stock is high right now and they will recoup more money for him.

It’s hard because a ruthless decision is required on Eddie but the club don’t seem ready to make it yet.

One of Eddie or Balogum should be loaned to a premier league side.

Post #381089  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:07 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

One of Eddie or balogun should be loaned to a premier league side.

This makes sense but Balogun has refused to go on loan and is saying play me or sell me. We won’t loan Nketiah and I doubt he would agree to it.

It basically requires us to behave ruthlessly a bit like chelsea and boot the guy we think isn’t the better player or prospect

Post #381090  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
One of Eddie or balogun should be loaned to a premier league side.

This makes sense but Balogun has refused to go on loan and is saying play me or sell me. We won’t loan Nketiah and I doubt he would agree to it.

It basically requires us to behave ruthlessly a bit like chelsea and boot the guy we think isn’t the better player or prospect

I agree. If Eddie is prepared to play second fiddle, I guess he is the one to keep. We have other attackers who can play in the middle, most obvioiusly Trossard and Martinelli. The latter especially. great on the break and at drifting across the front line when we are trying to break teams down.

Post #381091  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saliba new contract officially announced by Arsenal, he'll wear the number 2 next year

Arsenal Premier League

Win percentage
With Saliba 78%
Without Saliba 46%

Goals conceded per game
With Saliba 0.9
Without Saliba 1.6

Shots conceded per game
With Saliba 8.3
Without Saliba 10.7

And if my memory is functioning, he got injured in a poxy Europa cup tie against moderate opposition, which we should have put to bed in the first leg, but turned into a proverbial 15 rounder which we managed to lose.

It really hurts to think about what could have been!

Post #381092  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:15 pm 

Season ticket holders fyi I’ve noticed ticket exchange is now active on my account

Has anyone’s digital pass updated to show the first fixture yet though ? Mine hasn’t

Post #381093  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Arsenal Premier League

Win percentage
With Saliba 78%
Without Saliba 46%

Goals conceded per game
With Saliba 0.9
Without Saliba 1.6

Shots conceded per game
With Saliba 8.3
Without Saliba 10.7

And if my memory is functioning, he got injured in a poxy Europa cup tie against moderate opposition, which we should have put to bed in the first leg, but turned into a proverbial 15 rounder which we managed to lose.

It really hurts to think about what could have been!

Thats a pretty solid summary of what occured.

Post #381094  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:11 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
The defence is going to be interesting .. … looks to be the following

White } Tomiyasu
Saliba } Timber
Gabriel} Kiwior
Zinny} Tierney

Which means surely Holding has been lined up for a move away. Seems we are very strong in defence now. However We are also being linked to Jeremie Frimpong and cancelo though which means that KT will be off.

My only concern would be defending high balls. We did look iffy a couple of times last season.

I have a feeling he’d be an option in a back 3 rather than a central pairing. Or Arteta will use him as an RB/LB in midfield.

Post #381095  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I guess Arteta's tactics does not need a Balogun type player, more than a Nketiah type.

I don’t think it’s tactics it’s just that the coaches and fans have blinkers on when it comes to Eddie. I think it’s because he came through the academy. He’s provided some great moments but if we decided to sell I think he would only command interest from clubs like Palace and Brentford which is telling.

We will sell balogun, keep Nketiah then realise we need a new striker next summer mark my words

I share your opinion

Post #381096  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:22 am 

Rich wrote:

Arsenal Premier League

Win percentage
With Saliba 78%
Without Saliba 46%

Goals conceded per game
With Saliba 0.9
Without Saliba 1.6

Shots conceded per game
With Saliba 8.3
Without Saliba 10.7

Best news for me :53big-emoticons:

Post #381097  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:28 am 

Happy to hear he's excited. I am very excited. I think he and Kai will make a huge difference in the attack.

The entire midfield will be far more capable of scoring without losing its ability to defend base on last season.

Attachments:

Post #381098  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:18 am 

This is precisely why I think selling Partey is a stupid idea

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/07/0 ... er-united/

Post #381099  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:37 am 

Britain is *%^@** as long as these arseholes are running it

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnso ... r-12916924

Post #381100  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:51 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I share the opinion that everyone has said here that Balogun probably has the higher ceiling. I think that would be most fans position and I wouldn’t be surprised if the club think that too.

But they’re invested in Jesus being the starting striker, there isn’t a place up for grabs with significant minutes really.

I can absolutely see that happening, but I’m not sure Balogun is making much else an option, and fair enough from his point of view. Arsenal is an amazing club if you can get the minutes you want, but like KT it must be so difficult if you’re effectively frozen out.

Eddie will probably get 6/7 games worth of minutes over the season. Balogun wanting to leave makes sense. Going to Chelsea however is not exactly guaranteed minutes, but they might be the only buyers.

Post #381101  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:04 am 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I share the opinion that everyone has said here that Balogun probably has the higher ceiling. I think that would be most fans position and I wouldn’t be surprised if the club think that too.

But they’re invested in Jesus being the starting striker, there isn’t a place up for grabs with significant minutes really.

I can absolutely see that happening, but I’m not sure Balogun is making much else an option, and fair enough from his point of view. Arsenal is an amazing club if you can get the minutes you want, but like KT it must be so difficult if you’re effectively frozen out.

Eddie will probably get 6/7 games worth of minutes over the season. Balogun wanting to leave makes sense. Going to Chelsea however is not exactly guaranteed minutes, but they might be the only buyers.

If we hope to compete in 4 competitions any back up striker will get plenty of minutes and I kind of think that’s the issue.

I think Ray makes a point here, you need firepower and goal scorers off the bench we just don’t have that and next season we will be reliant on our wide players and Ødegaard again to bring the goal threat.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/05/arsenal- ... -19070505/

Post #381102  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:39 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

If we hope to compete in 4 competitions any back up striker will get plenty of minutes and I kind of think that’s the issue.

I think Ray makes a point here, you need firepower and goal scorers off the bench we just don’t have that and next season we will be reliant on our wide players and Ødegaard again to bring the goal threat.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/05/arsenal- ... -19070505/

Yeah I probably should have said 6/7 games Worth of minutes guaranteed. But that’s all it is. I can see someone who wants to play as much as possibly at this point in their careers backing themselves and going somewhere else to make that 30+ games worth of minutes guaranteed.

Post #381103  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:24 am 

Are goals that big problem for us? Our 88 in league last season was a massive improvement on the season before (61). Looking back over the last decade of The Premiership our total of 88 has only been bettered by City (six times) and Liverpool twice. Getting to City's pretty regular 90+ level is a leap but not impossible.

Post #381104  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:51 am 

Just saw something interesting on twatter

Elliot Richardson suggesting he has a hunch Arsenal and city are going to do a player swap this summer.

Then leads to a load of speculation what players would be involved with the common suggestion being for some reason we would swap KT for Laporte.

Other potential suggestions would be cancelo for them and balogun and partey for us.

I’m not sure why we would want Laporte at all to be honest and cancelo would make sense

Post #381105  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:11 pm 

Andy Green world tour started last night ….flew to Bogota for the in laws 60th wedding anniversary bash
Out of here tomorrow night … red eye to Heathrow and then a few days in Chewton Glen with some mates
I’ve never been and I’m looking forward to it From there to Sussex to hang out with my sister for a few days and see my eldest and the Grandkids
Sunday 16th off to Dubrovnik for a week ….again never been and again looking forward to it
Hope we’ve signed Rice by the time I get back…. and Timber…

Post #381106  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:19 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Andy Green world tour started last night ….flew to Bogota for the in laws 60th wedding anniversary bash
Out of here tomorrow night … red eye to Heathrow and then a few days in Chewton Glen with some mates
I’ve never been and I’m looking forward to it From there to Sussex to hang out with my sister for a few days and see my eldest and the Grandkids
Sunday 16th off to Dubrovnik for a week ….again never been and again looking forward to it

Chewton glen? Now you’re talking :58big-emoticons: not close to TopG mansions but I know that neck of the woods well. Enjoy that will be a blast Andy

Post #381107  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:00 pm 

Emile Smith Rowe plays for U21s in UEFA Int Cup Final.

Ko 5pm UK time on Channel 4 and UEFA.tv

Starting now .

Post #381108  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:44 pm 

Andy Green wrote:

I was in Dubrovnik last month and within the old walls it’s beautiful, be prepared for a lot of steps. Well worth doing the wall walk which will take you a few hours, depending on how long your beer stops are, some great views across the old town out to sea. We happened across a great secluded bar that’s off the tourist beat. It’s called the Dodo Beach Bar and in a wonderful little cove, outside the walls on the western edge of the old fort. Well worth it just to avoid the “cruisers” and enjoy a cold beer and watch the waves crashing in. Also worth snagging a table at 360 restaurant for some Michelin nosh overlooking the harbour. Have a great trip.

Post #381109  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:24 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'd be very surprised if the backup striker got only 6/7 games worth of minutes. Apart from rotation and injuries, Jesus shouldn't be playing the full 90 each game. We need fresh legs up front (or different options) in the last 20-30 minutes. Furthermore, each outing is an opportunity for the backup striker to make himself more of a contender to start. Nketiah had a big chance last season.

If Balogun goes to Chelsea is he going to be first choice? Didn't they just buy Nkunku?

Post #381110  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:16 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Ash wrote:

I'd be very surprised if the backup striker got only 6/7 games worth of minutes. Apart from rotation and injuries, Jesus shouldn't be playing the full 90 each game. We need fresh legs up front (or different options) in the last 20-30 minutes. Furthermore, each outing is an opportunity for the backup striker to make himself more of a contender to start. Nketiah had a big chance last season.

If Balogun goes to Chelsea is he going to be first choice? Didn't they just buy Nkunku?

Yes I did correct that to 6-7 games worth of minutes guaranteed. Which I think is accurate. What if Jesus has hardly any injuries and we go out of minor cups early? It will probably be more but guaranteed it’s not much.

Yeah it’s a weird destination which I’m guessing isn’t Balogun’s idea but probably they’re the top bidders/most interested? Nkunku whilst versatile isn’t really a striker like Balogun. Jackson is, who they’ve just bought, so it doesn’t get any clearer.

Post #381111  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:05 pm 

For those planning on their games this season the Arsenal.com website is reporting 4 changes to game times in the first 2 months. To suit TV of course.

Post #381112  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:05 am 

Congratulations England & Emile Smith Rowe for winning the U21 :53big-emoticons:

That last min penalty save was immense :58big-emoticons:

Post #381113  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:53 am 

Alternate retelling of the Emery to Arteta years. But what if Emery had not been fired? Villa will be a dark horse this season. Villa was a respectable 7th last season only a point behind Brighton who are losing their best players. Who knows if they can replace like for like quality but it wouldn't shock anyone if they struggled more this season. Villa is prime for 6th and if Emery does what he did at Sevilla, we may see them punch above their weight. Cup final perhaps as well. The top 5 places seem pretty much a lock: City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle. I have a feeling its going to be Villa or Chelsea for that 6th spot and if any of the top 5 have a season like Liverpool did, we may see them nip them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bryaQLf8uSU&t=343s

Post #381114  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:05 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think a new striker next year is the long term plan anyway

Post #381115  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:46 am 

This would be beyond irritating

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... riker.html

Post #381116  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Boris has nothing to do with the current Goverment.

If you speak to anyone who lives and drives in the ULEZ zones then ask them what they think instead of making stupid statements.

The air quality is currently safe in fact safer thasn in most cities of similar populations. ULEZ will change nothing other than boost the numbers of unemployed sole traders who need motorised transport to do their work. Wait till you cannot find a workman willing to come to your address to quote let alone do a job for you.

You seriously need to think before you post.................

Post #381117  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:43 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Boris has nothing to do with the current Goverment.

If you speak to anyone who lives and drives in the ULEZ zones then ask them what they think instead of making stupid statements.

The air quality is currently safe in fact safer thasn in most cities of similar populations. ULEZ will change nothing other than boost the numbers of unemployed sole traders who need motorised transport to do their work. Wait till you cannot find a workman willing to come to your address to quote let alone do a job for you.

You seriously need to think before you post.................

You have embraced stupidity like its a religion. Amazing

Post #381118  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

If Chelsea want him and we even entertain the idea then the price needs to rise dramatically for them. Might Arsenal use it to get Mudryk....?

Post #381119  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:50 pm 

As I recall, wasn’t the imposition of the wider, revenue-generating ULEZ restriction imposed on the GLA as a condition for the post-Covid bailout of TFL?

Post #381120  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:00 pm 

Congratulations to England - that was a hard-fought Test match that went to the wire.

Back in the game.

[ 390784 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9525, 9526, 9527, 9528, 9529, 9530, 9531 ... 9770  Next