Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie, Rich and 60 guests

Post #367121  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Spot on again Einstein
I think I have mentioned it before here, but with an Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of 160, Albert Einstein actually had a lower IQ than Ian Brady, the boyfriend of fellow Moors Murderer Myra Hindley. Ian Brady’s IQ was 170. Saw that on a documentary about IQs.
Pity Brady didn't put his high IQ to some useful purpose like Albert.

This is far from a subject that interests me but I do recall reading something once about a theory of multiple intelligences - i.e. going beyond the usual logical-mathematical measure to encompass various other intelligences e.g. linguistic, inter-personal, spatial. Freddie and Denis presumably scored higher than average on the latter?

Post #367122  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Thanks. Must admit I prefer big phones since I saw clinical research that small phones are likely to damage one’s eyesight long term.
Yes, that and some other habits. Rees Mogg wears glasses...

Post #367123  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:11 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think I have mentioned it before here, but with an Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of 160, Albert Einstein actually had a lower IQ than Ian Brady, the boyfriend of fellow Moors Murderer Myra Hindley. Ian Brady’s IQ was 170. Saw that on a documentary about IQs.
Pity Brady didn't put his high IQ to some useful purpose like Albert.
This is far from a subject that interests me but I do recall reading something once about a theory of multiple intelligences - i.e. going beyond the usual logical-mathematical measure to encompass various other intelligences e.g. linguistic, inter-personal, spatial. Freddie and Denis presumably scored higher than average on the latter?

Yes, Freddie Flintoff would score highly on linguistic, inter-personal and spatial intelligences.

Post #367124  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:48 pm 

RIP Sonny Corleone. James Caan dead at 82.

Attachments:

Post #367125  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:56 pm 

Why are we so awful at selling players??!
Liverpool just raked in another 17 million for Neco Williams.
I know some of it is attributed to the high wages we have given players for last few years but we need to be better at extracting fees.

If Martinez prefers Utd or we won’t go that high then get Tielemans in and Grimaldo at left back. He is
Going very cheap when a few windows ago he was being talked about in the 30m to 40m bracket.
And on top of that show a bit of faith in Lokonga too or get a cheap defensive minded central midfielder on top of Tielemans.
Surely there’s a few knocking around Europe

Post #367126  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
I saved myself a fortune by buying my iPhone outright a few years ago and using a BT monthly SIM. The SIM deal is an absolute bargain especially since I use BT for broadband, and the 6S Plus is still going strong.

Monthly contracts are an absolute ripoff.

Thanks again. Wonder if buying the iPhone 14 Pro Max outright (for the size of it) and using a monthly SIM deal might be the best option?

That will cost you the guts of a grand to buy the phone. Go into a shop or two to see what is on offer. Look on line and see what suits you best. The release of the 14 doesn't make the 13 out of date either.

If you are a bit of a technophobe you would probably be best sticking with what you know I.e Apple. I prefer android myself but that is down to personal preference.

Of course if Tottenham were to announce a sponsorship deal with Apple, I'm not sure what you would do.

Post #367127  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Thanks. Must admit I prefer big phones since I saw clinical research that small phones are likely to damage one’s eyesight long term.

Post #367128  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:26 pm 

dec wrote:
Of course if Tottenham were to announce a sponsorship deal with Apple, I'm not sure what you would do.

Apple Music sponsored Bayern a few years back.

Post #367129  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:58 pm 

Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

Post #367130  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:12 pm 

Justice system in this country is a sick joke.
Mother of that poor child Baby P released from prison.
What a *%^@*** horrific disgrace that is.
Shameful.
People on that parole board are imbeciles.
She should rot in hell.

Post #367131  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:13 pm 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

Sorry to hear that DHD.
Wishing you a quick recovery.

Post #367132  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:13 pm 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

Sorry to hear that DHD. Wishing you well.

Post #367133  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:16 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Thanks again. Wonder if buying the iPhone 14 Pro Max outright (for the size of it) and using a monthly SIM deal might be the best option?

That will cost you the guts of a grand to buy the phone. Go into a shop or two to see what is on offer. Look on line and see what suits you best. The release of the 14 doesn't make the 13 out of date either.

If you are a bit of a technophobe you would probably be best sticking with what you know I.e Apple. I prefer android myself but that is down to personal preference.

Thanks dec. The cost I saw for the iPhone 14 Pro Max was £925 while O2 were quoting me £959 (I thought it was £949 before just looking it up) for the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Is that expensive then? I have paid way more than that on a bottle of wine so I was hoping it was quite reasonable.

The thing is I probably use my current iPhone for less than 1% of what it’s capable of. Sending and receiving texts and WhatsApp messages, making and taking phone calls, emails, taking a few photos and the internet. I’m on the internet quite a lot, I’d have thought. But perhaps I’m not as O2 are offering me all these monthly GB allowances of 100+.

However, they told me what my current usage was and it was nothing remotely approaching that. I think they said 1 GB a month. Maybe I misunderstood them? But if my internet usage is as low as that, you’d have to be doing scientific calculations of the type Ian Brady was clever enough to do all day long to get near an allowance of 100+ GB. As well as going to bed, interacting with family and friends, plus eating I’m not on the internet all day every day.

My youngest daughter is urging me to get the iPhone 14 Pro Max as when she sees people using older phones, she thinks of them as rather ‘scummy’. My youngest daughter is a bit like that. She’s happy to go in the car with me as I have one of the sporty BMWs (she has a Mercedes herself). But she’s less keen on getting a lift from my wife (so her mother) as she only has a Mazda.

Post #367134  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:21 pm 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

Only just saw that DHD. Sorry to hear it but I have little doubt you’ll be as right as rain in no time at all.

Post #367135  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I've just upgraded to the iPhone SE - I lied it because the handset isn't the really big one that doesn't fit in your pocket, and it still retains the little round 'home' button at the bottom.
I'm with ee, never really had too much of a problem with them, coverage is always good.
I got the handset for free and joined on a 24 month contract at about £28 per month, which includes a 30% discount on their friends and family deal as a family friend works for them

Thanks. Must admit I prefer big phones since I saw clinical research that small phones are likely to damage one’s eyesight long term.[/quote]
There’s a joke in there somewhere about refs, Arsenal and one-eyed-ness!

Post #367136  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:28 pm 

Seems like Leno might be close to a move to Fulham. Apparently personal terms are agreed on a deal until 2025 with the option of another year. Arsenal want £10-11m

Post #367137  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:53 pm 

Zed wrote:

Terrific actor. Not just for the godfather

if you haven’t seen it watch Thief . Great leading man

Not Redford or Newman good but up there

Post #367138  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Stuck a cheeky 25 quid on Douglas Luiz joining us by Wednesday at 4 to 1

Cough cough erm cough

Post #367139  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:43 pm 

DHD wrote:
Attachment:
Bus.png
long time gooner wrote:
It’s hard to imagine any current poll being made up of anything other than “35% Brexitters and 65% Remoaners” as it dawns on more and more people that Brexit is not the wonderful future that was promised.

That's because the electorate was lied to - loudly, consistently and shamelessly.

It is only now that people are beginning to realize.

Nah, the sad truth is many people suspected the damage it would do but still were attracted to it because they thought it ended immigration. Did people really think they were going to get 20 percent off nike trainers or all these amazing trade deals. We deserve the future we voted for and by god we are getting it back in spades

Post #367140  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:

Terrific actor. Not just for the godfather

if you haven’t seen it watch Thief . Great leading man

Not Redford or Newman good but up there

No he's no Redford or Newman. I did see Thief though.

Post #367141  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:51 pm 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

One day at a time DHD. You'll be fine soon.

Post #367142  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:52 pm 

Darren wrote:
As a massive remainer, I've come to the conclusion that Brexit needs to unravel itself. People don't want to be yelled at, a mistake I've made myself. They just have to see that the version of the Brexit that seems to be here is one that is unsustainable. The only way Brexit can succeed is to adopt a Norway type agreement. The fishing industry, who voted for Brexit, have been trashed, the farming industry -who again, were hugely pro-brexit, has been trashed. People need to live the disaster of this before the majority realises it was an error. At least in the way the ideologues have tried to sell it.

It may take many, many years to reverse, but it will eventually, certainly to a large extent - and it doesn't necessarily mean rejoining to acheive that. People need to see it for themselves though. Whilst the EU is very far from perfect, but we're better being closer to them than by being antagonistic and breaking laws and legally binding agreements. It won't end well.

The grand kids will have to fix what their grandparents bestowed upon them. It’s as simple as that. They need a clean sweep and to disappear an entire generation associated with the poison it is.

It’s all brexit, Boris leaving, problems in northern Ireland, economy tanking, cost of living, public transport everything. It’s all connected to that decision. The next leader will have to fight the problems caused by brexit whilst not being able to admit it’s because of brexit before ultimately failing because of brexit and resigning because of brexit. And then, and then, and then. It can’t be fixed and starmers comments about it last week highlight the depth of the problem. It’s made politicians impotent

By all means feel bad about yelling but don’t suggest it’s not unfair or inappropriate to do so.

Post #367143  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:58 pm 

Not sure you can blame everything on brexit. Most economies in the world are tanking because of a global pandemic followed by Russia invading Ukraine sending fuel prices soaring and causing widespread inflationary pressures.

Brexit may end up being a complete disaster but let’s not pretend everything is rosy in everyone else’s garden.

Post #367144  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:18 pm 

socrates wrote:
Not sure you can blame everything on brexit. Most economies in the world are tanking because of a global pandemic followed by Russia invading Ukraine sending fuel prices soaring and causing widespread inflationary pressures.

Brexit may end up being a complete disaster but let’s not pretend everything is rosy in everyone else’s garden.

That’s true. Inflation rampant everywhere and most places sliding into a big downturn, higher interest rates and shortages.

Post #367145  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:50 pm 

socrates wrote:

only Russia hobbled by western sanctions is performing worse among the G20 leading economies than Britain. Why do you think this is? Because we’ve literally applied sanctions to ourselves without a war.

You literally have to flatten entire cities of innocent people to get worse. The world has its issues, ours is self flagellation and it’s time to admit it

Post #367146  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:27 am 

I cannot comment on the UK but over in Oz a few chickens are coming home to roost. There are 2 whole generations who have had very good times. Low unemployment, historically low interest rates and things served up on a plate to them. They want to blame the baby boomers for actually wanting pensions and assistance as they get older. Many are very self centred and me, me, me. They have never been given proper assessments of themselves by parents or schools. Everyone gets a medal for participation.

When you tell them stories of housing interest rates of 17% they treat you as if you are lying. Now interest rates moving up, shortages of everything from food to semi conductors, big inflation and a need to tighten their belts they are already starting to melt down and want more govt assistance. They need to focus on some of the positives like we live in a democracy, we are well paid, and we have a lot of freedoms. The weather can be good bad or catastrophic but you need to roll with the punches.

My parents had the threat of a Japanese invasion. Resilience is not a foreign word.

Post #367147  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:21 am 

Best sim on the market is Lebara. Monthly contract 3gb data and only

£6

Post #367148  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:23 am 

Ffs remoaners check out how good the EU is atcthe moment before squealing.

Their economy is tanking worse than ours. They are completely disunited.

They are led by morons and cannot agree on anything

Post #367149  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:32 am 

Man U have made a €50m bid for Martinez. He seems like a very good player but for us it seems like he’d be 4th choice CB, 2nd choice LB and maybe 3rd choice defensive mid. €50m is an awful lot to spend on someone like that. I’d expect Man U to get him now and we move to other targets. Maybe back in for Zinchenko who would easily cost half the price, maybe Grimaldo who is available for €7m!

If we go in to the season with just 4 CB but get one of the two above for left back cover I’d like us to get another RB as Tomiyasu could also be needed to cover at RB

Post #367150  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:22 am 

While I couldn't claim to understand the vagaries of why Boris Johnson resigned, within the Democratic party, its now growing from whispering to audible murmurs for Biden to step down.

Similar thing happened with President Johnson before 1968 as the Vietnam war dragged on. Stories, examples, of Biden needing cues to simply turn around at public meetings are now being told weekly. He's seen not only as being victim to the aging process (memory lapses, etc) but also inaction and no strategy when he's cogent.

Democrats will lose control of the Congress in November. Even the most optimistic of polls for the Dems show that. The quesiton is a matter of how badly. Biden will not be able to get anything done in his last 2 years. Not that he has an agenda. There are candidates being suggested to the press to replace him. A toe in the water so to speak to see if the public shows any liking.

Conversely, Trump is not as popular within the Republican party as he was. Its still his party. But he does not command anything close to the same power he did just a few years ago. Florida's Desantis, who I wrote on here many months ago is a smarter version of Trump leads in some internal polls. As one of the laws in the book 48 Laws of Power suggests, "Never outshine the master", Desantis won't publicly challenge Trump who has dropped not too subtle hints that he should remain on the sidelines in the '24 elections.

Desantis has made some outright fascists state laws as governor of Florida but one shouldn't be surprised a Republican does. Likewise, the far left wing of the Democratic party also make suggestions that are way out of the norm for most Americans. Biden is not anything close to a progressive so its local progressives (such as in San Francisco and other areas) and companies, with the vocal support of progressive politicians at all levels carrying it out. Companies were quick to offer its employees time off and money if they want to get abortions outside of 'red states' for example.

Back to the UK, as an outsider, but still tangentially connected to UK politics as a football fan, it will be interesting to see where your government ends up. The still lingering on the after effects of Brexit and if the nation will remain so or slowly (or not so slowly...or quietly) walk its way back to Europe remains to be seen. Only a guess but it may be certain industries, most affected that push for changes. That would depend on how strong their voice within the government and public is.

With an ear to what the domestic and global markets are doing, the voices saying there will be a massive economic crash are growing. And its said to happen within the not too distant future. A year? Or at best 2 or 3 year hence. It will be global and it will be massive. If it does happen, there are various theories of what will happen politically within our respective countries as a result.

No idea how it will change things within the UK but I would be surprised if America doesn't see a huge rise in mass shootings, and both the right and left fringe growing.

Post #367151  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:14 am 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

I tested positive yesterday as well. So far its been no worse than a cold. Hope yours is mellow

Post #367152  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:53 am 

Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot dead

Post #367153  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:10 am 

Bored wrote:
DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

I tested positive yesterday as well. So far its been no worse than a cold. Hope yours is mellow

It’s all a bit weird, Bored. I have a slight sniffle and an occasional cough. I sincerely hope it stays that way for the both of us.

One of my guys in the office is really quite crook but for me so far, it’s a piece of piss.

Post #367154  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:19 am 

DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

As did I 45 mins ago.

Post #367155  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:22 am 

Gunfire wrote:
DHD wrote:
Tested positive today.

Fucketyfuck.

As did I 45 mins ago.

Best of luck GF

Post #367156  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:25 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I cannot comment on the UK but over in Oz a few chickens are coming home to roost. There are 2 whole generations who have had very good times. Low unemployment, historically low interest rates and things served up on a plate to them. They want to blame the baby boomers for actually wanting pensions and assistance as they get older. Many are very self centred and me, me, me. They have never been given proper assessments of themselves by parents or schools. Everyone gets a medal for participation.

When you tell them stories of housing interest rates of 17% they treat you as if you are lying. Now interest rates moving up, shortages of everything from food to semi conductors, big inflation and a need to tighten their belts they are already starting to melt down and want more govt assistance. They need to focus on some of the positives like we live in a democracy, we are well paid, and we have a lot of freedoms. The weather can be good bad or catastrophic but you need to roll with the punches.

My parents had the threat of a Japanese invasion. Resilience is not a foreign word.

Cost of housing seems to be the problem. Sadly if the current crop of politicians don't solve the problem less savoury people will move in with their solutions. The acute housing shortage in Italy led to the creation of Casa Pound and avowedly fascist organisation who bought houses but only for white Christian Italians as in their eyes these were the only true Italians. We have fascist parties doing well at the polls in Italy, Spain, Poland etc. I don't want to see them here but politicians need to get the finger out ............and fast.

Post #367157  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:27 am 

DHD wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

As did I 45 mins ago.

Best of luck GF

Thanks. I work as self employed and meet lots of people so the missus has to take over. She is pissed off that I get read Arsenal related stuff for the whole day..........................and I have a good excuse. :58big-emoticons:

Post #367158  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:34 am 

Gunfire wrote:
DHD wrote:

Best of luck GF

Thanks. I work as self employed and meet lots of people so the missus has to take over. She is pissed off that I get read Arsenal related stuff for the whole day..........................and I have a good excuse. :58big-emoticons:

I’m sitting here in the garden with some nice food and a bottle of beer.

Having worried bout this moment for more than 2 years, I feel a bit of a fraud.

Post #367159  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
[...he world has its issues, ours is self flagellation and it’s time to admit it
What fascinates me is the weakness of those who wish to rejoin Europe. Why don't they form their equivalent of UKIP, and fight a General Election on the issue? Love or loath him, that is what Farage did. Nobody made it easy for UKIP but they persisted in their campaigns and achieved a referendum. If it is so blindingly obvious that Brexit is a mistake why is no major British political party or a new party taking it up?

Post #367160  Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:00 pm 

DHD wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I’m sitting here in the garden with some nice food and a bottle of beer.

Having worried bout this moment for more than 2 years, I feel a bit of a fraud.

You shouldn't. The vaccine is doing its job.

A friend of mine has gone down with Covid twice in less than 4 weeks. The current bout he has is a lot worse than the first one, which is interesting. I think we just all need to be mindful over the summer. I travel on the tube a couple of times a week and it's noticeable how very few people are wearing masks now. It was always going to happen like this as people return to normality, but to think it's going way any time soon is naive .

[ 390288 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9176, 9177, 9178, 9179, 9180, 9181, 9182 ... 9758  Next