Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner and 82 guests

Post #367001  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Your guess would be as good as that of the any of the rest of us.

My guess is that none of those 5 will feature for Arsenal in the coming season. The outside bet there I suppose would be Nelson but he hasn’t yet nailed down his several chances in his career so far.

I think Pépé will quite possibly feature for the reason Top Gun implies, nobody else touching him with a barge pole. It’s quite sad with Pépé in my view. He has the basic attributes to be a fine player. Skill, dibbling ability and pace to name but three. It’s just never happened for him at Arsenal. Perhaps we were the wrong place at the wrong time for him?

Rich knows far more about this kind of stuff than me, but are there restrictions in squad size and if so what are they relevant to home grown quotas and stuff like that? Also what makes a player home grown as it clearly has nothing to do with nationality? Please nobody bother answering that question by the way.

I’m just using it to emphasise it may well be best to wait until 1st September when the window has expired and see what the squad is. Who else has joined and who has left? It’s only then when we’ll be able to assess the quality and strength of the squad without mindless nonsense about it being the best transfer window ever on the strength of showing interest in players who didn’t arrive.

I think the only way we move Pépé on is a loan. The only other chance we might have is Christophe Gaultier might be/now is the nee PSG manager, he had Pépé at Lille when he had that great season. Perhaps he might be tempted.
One thing I’ve seen with Pépé (and this might be a very harsh judgement) but he seems to lack a bit of emotion and personality when he plays. It’s almost like win or lose, beat a man or get tackled he feels the same. I’ve not seen any raw emotion when he scores for example.

I also think he hasn’t been used properly with us. Arteta uses his right winger as a touchline winger who receives the ball wide and drives infield. Pépé has always been more effective receiving the ball much further infield and much higher up the pitch where his close skills and dribbling allow him to get in to shooting situations within a few seconds of receiving the ball.

Post #367002  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:20 am 

The problem with Pépé isn’t how he is being played it’s simply that he’s brainless in his own half.

When he’s running at his full back he’s great, shooting and crossing around the box very good too. He’s perfectly capable of scoring 15 plus goals in a season. That part of the game is fine.

Problem is when he takes receipt of the ball in his own half he can’t keep it simple and lay it off. He can’t track effectively leaving his full back exposed..

What does it mean. It means he’s very effective in games like europa league, league cup, fa cup where it’s not a battle but in the premier league when it’s a slog he’s a liability and too much of a risk unless it’s time to throw caution to the wind. He’s probably suited to the french or Italian leagues rather than premiership or la liga.

Post #367003  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 am 

I'm quietly excited about Nketiah next year. In the last 3 months of the season Nketiah really surprised me with his all round game, it came on so much from being a penalty box poacher. He looked stronger, fitter, faster and showed good touches holding the ball up. Even though he didn't score I thought his performance against West Ham away was his best performance for us.

It wouldn't surprise me to see games where we use Nketiah as the CF with Jesus on the right and either resting Saka or using Saka on the left.

With Nketiah and Jesus up top I still think we're a player short, a in the box target man, but I think Nketiah and Jesus need to be aiming for 30+ league goals between them next year. If we can get similar goal returns from Saka/Emile Smith Rowe/Martinelli/Ødegaard you could be looking at 60+ goals from that quintet alone

Post #367004  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
The problem with Pépé isn’t how he is being played it’s simply that he’s brainless in his own half.

When he’s running at his full back he’s great, shooting and crossing around the box very good too. He’s perfectly capable of scoring 15 plus goals in a season. That part of the game is fine.

Problem is when he takes receipt of the ball in his own half he can’t keep it simple and lay it off. He can’t track effectively leaving his full back exposed..

What does it mean. It means he’s very effective in games like europa league, league cup, fa cup where it’s not a battle but in the premier league when it’s a slog he’s a liability and too much of a risk unless it’s time to throw caution to the wind. He’s probably suited to the french or Italian leagues rather than premiership or la liga.

I think there's a player in there, his dribbling skills are as good as anyone in the squad and he can score goals. The trouble is that successive managers have failed to get consistency, awareness and good decision-making from him. Elite players tend to have the elite footballing brain to go with their natural ability, I am not sure Pépé has.

It might be a confidence thing, or it might be that the PL is just a step too far. It is for some players, it's mentally and physically draining and the pressure to perform week-in week-out is so high.

It feels like Arteta has given up with him. I'd like to have seen him a couple of times up front, just to see if greater feedom and lesser defensive responsibility might be the key to getting the best out of him offensively. If he stays, maybe start him up front in a couple of friendlies or in a Europa League game just to see how he might shape up. I am certain Arteta has tried that in training, though, so maybe that doesn't work either.

Post #367005  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:43 am 

Jesus joins. Club ignored the warts thing

https://www.arsenal.com/news/gabriel-je ... ta-reunion

Post #367006  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:47 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think there's a player in there, his dribbling skills are as good as anyone in the squad and he can score goals. The trouble is that successive managers have failed to get consistency, awareness and good decision-making from him. Elite players tend to have the elite footballing brain to go with their natural ability, I am not sure Pépé has.

It might be a confidence thing, or it might be that the PL is just a step too far. It is for some players, it's mentally and physically draining and the pressure to perform week-in week-out is so high.

It feels like Arteta has given up with him. I'd like to have seen him a couple of times up front, just to see if greater feedom and lesser defensive responsibility might be the key to getting the best out of him offensively. If he stays, maybe start him up front in a couple of friendlies or in a Europa League game just to see how he might shape up. I am certain Arteta has tried that in training, though, so maybe that doesn't work either.

I think there’s a player in there but he lacks the right footballing intelligence and mentality.

Contrast Pépé to the behaviour of Raphinha at the emirates when Luke ayling got himself sent off. Raphinha almost got himself sent off arguing with the ref for 10 minutes about the red, Pépé would never have done that. Just not sure he’s got the right mentality to fight for everything.

He’s perfectly fine for europa league group games where he will look a superstar then on the weekend struggle

Post #367007  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:59 am 

Given the level of competition for players in this current transfer market I think we have done remarkably well to get Gabriel Jesus. Whether he is the answer I don't know but he's a top level player with PL experience and youth on his side.

In a perfect world I am sure we'd have liked a tall, powerful target man as well but they are few and far between and market forces and our lack of CL football are making those kind of signings extremely difficult.

Gabriel must have been sold a good project, though. I don't think he will be happy if at the end of the window we haven't brought in at least another two top level players if not more.

Post #367008  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:02 am 

It is finally announced, Gabriel Jesus is officially on board.
And we have 3 Brazilian Gabriels in our team now.

Post #367009  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:24 am 

Rich wrote:
I think the only way we move Pépé on is a loan.

That will presumably mean paying a very large proportion of his wages. We were still paying 90% of Özil’s £350k per week salary, so £315k a week, when he went on loan to Fenerbahce.

That raises questions on whether it might be best to keep Pépé, even if only for the cups and as a Premier League sub?

Post #367010  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:50 am 

I’m genuinely excited about the signing of Jesus.

I think people could be shocked at how good he ends up being for Arsenal. His ability to run and drive at defenders with the ball at his feet could really help us. He has the Brazilian ability to freestyle dribble with the ball at his feet and if you watched us last year we were quite pedestrian at times at our focal point of attack

Also he’s probably going to be a must for your fantasy league side as his transfer fee will be low and he’ll end up taking all our penalties too!

Post #367011  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:07 am 

Fabrizio Romano says three clubs tried to hijack Gabriel Jesus deal until Sunday, June 26

Post #367012  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:16 am 

Rich wrote:
Fabrizio Romano says three clubs tried to hijack Gabriel Jesus deal until Sunday, June 26

That doesn’t surprise me. There are very few players of genuine quality up for sale. So when it is clear that a move is a possibility then the vultures circle.

We can always be outbid so we need to offer the player something that makes him want to come to us. The circumstances aligned nicely with Jesus. They were never going to for Raphina.

Post #367013  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:30 am 

socrates wrote:
In a perfect world I am sure we'd have liked a tall, powerful target man as well but they are few and far between and market forces and our lack of CL football are making those kind of signings extremely difficult.

The prices are just insane too. We were linked with Darwin Nunez in January, and he looks like a really exciting player, but Liverpool paid £65m for him, with add-ons potentially going up to £85m. Osimhen is quoted at £80-90m. Both of them are really talented, but they've never played in the PL and there's no telling how they would acclimatize. Huge risk with those kind of signings, but there's obviously a potentially huge reward as well if they pan out.

In that comparison, Gabriel Jesus loks like a steal. He's only a year or two older, but already has 5½ seasons at the top level of the Premier League under his belt. Much more of a safe bet, and for nearly half the price as well. While he doesn't bring the physical presence of Osimhen and Nunez, he's also a lot more versatile, being able to play across the entire front three.

Really not sure there was a better striker deal to be made for us this summer, well done to Edu and Arteta for getting it done.

Post #367014  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:44 am 

Always interesting how a lot of players still reference following Arsenal because of Thierry Henry. Unfortunately we're soon going to lose that pull as young players coming through wouldn't have even been born when Henry was in his pomp at Arsenal

Post #367015  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:46 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Really not sure there was a better striker deal to be made for us this summer, well done to Edu and Arteta for getting it done.

100%, it is a great deal. I had a Spurs mate genuinely tell me he preferred Richarlison to Jesus (including the £15m extra). Bonkers

Post #367016  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:50 am 

Leeds doing some interesting business. Lost Phillips and will almost certainly lose Raphina, but

de ketelaere
Tyler Adams
Luís Sinisterra

already signed Roca and the two lads from Salzburg and Gyabi the youngster from City.

The top 3 names are on the football hipster list of interesting players. And the signings in general at least on the face of it look part of a well thought out strategy rather than the 'obvious' signings

Post #367017  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:50 am 

Another point about that tall, more physical central striker, is that Jesus versatility means we don't block that from happening by signing him. Next summer we could very well go for a player like that, because of how comfortable Jesus is playing on the wing. That versatility just gives us so many options in terms of building our attack.

Post #367018  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:05 am 

Latest

Arsenal have submitted an offer for 27-year-old Lazio ace Sergej Milinkovic-Savic thought to be worth around €55 million (£47 million). Lazio want £60million to sell.

Post #367019  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Latest

Arsenal have submitted an offer for 27-year-old Lazio ace Sergej Milinkovic-Savic thought to be worth around €55 million (£47 million). Lazio want £60million to sell.

Saw that one. Not sure about the source, but that is a seriously talented player. 12 goals and 13 assists as a central midfielder this past season.

Post #367020  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:47 am 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Latest

Saw that one. Not sure about the source, but that is a seriously talented player. 12 goals and 13 assists as a central midfielder this past season.

That’s an amazing contribution

Where does he play ? Holding midfield or is he an Ødegaard. Just wondering where we would fit him in.

Post #367021  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
That’s an amazing contribution

Where does he play ? Holding midfield or is he an Ødegaard. Just wondering where we would fit him in.

I think he's one of those CM/AM hybrids, but the few times I've seen him he has looked as a no 8. Seems to have played mostly CM at Lazio. He's 6ft3 so definitely has some size to him as well.

Post #367022  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:32 pm 

Eriksen close to a 3 year deal at Man U on a free transfer. Obviously he's a good player, not entirely sure it is an area of the pitch Man U need to prioritise, and in reality if Man U were humble enough to accept they require a total re-build (as we finally did 18 months ago) they probably wouldn't be signing 30 year olds.

On the Ronaldo situation I think Man U are in a bind either way. If they let him go that is a big ego-blow that he wants out due to lack of ambition and it loses them their only reliable goalscorer. If they do keep him he will probably still score goals but I completely agree with those that say he unbalances the side too much especially without the ball.

Post #367023  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:08 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm hoping we have enough respect for Paddy's legacy to NOT sing...

'Vieira ooooooh, Vieira oooooooh, he comes from Portugal and plays for Arsenal'

It’s a certainty that it will be sung.

Albeit with the correct words. :laughing7:

I forgot to add an emoji at the end of my post but I'd surprised (and a bit disappointed actually) if it wasn't sung.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1782031-20-iconic-arsenal-players-and-the-fan-chants-they-earned

Post #367024  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:31 pm 

Welcome Gabriel Jesus.
At least he had the right shirt in the photo posted 27 June on here. Possibly photo taken after his medical cleared.

Post #367025  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:35 pm 

Attachment:

Gotta love this. Spotted as I passed through Gatwick North Terminal yesterday. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #367026  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:59 pm 

I'm a huge 'chocoholic' (trying to wean myself off the stuff). I'd have bought a few of them just to have around.

Post #367027  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:30 pm 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19089139 ... ing-woman/

Please let it not be one of ours

Post #367028  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:39 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19089139/premier-league-international-footballer-arrested-raping-woman/

Please let it not be one of ours

Seen lots of online speculation. Rumours it is a 29 year old man.

Not sure if it is making more headlines but these allegations seem to be happening a lot more regularly

Post #367029  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:00 pm 

Saw that Rich, loads of rumours that it's Xhaka. Still rumours though, nothing confirmed. Let's hope it's Kane

Post #367030  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:11 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
Saw that Rich, loads of rumours that it's Xhaka. Still rumours though, nothing confirmed. Let's hope it's Kane

Man arrested at 'address in Barnet'. Worrying. If it's one of our players their contract should be terminated if there is any truth in the allegations.

Post #367031  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:37 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:

Man arrested at 'address in Barnet'. Worrying. If it's one of our players their contract should be terminated if there is any truth in the allegations.

That's for a court to determine.

Post #367032  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:43 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:

People saying Xhaka but then some people are saying he's in Turkey at the moment.

Post #367033  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:59 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

That's for a court to determine.

That's why I said 'if there is any truth in the allegations'. But whoever the player is, if it actually gets as far as a trial it's not exactly a good look.

Post #367034  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 pm 

If it’s one of our players it will become pretty evident rapidly. We have friendly in Germany this week and Orlando later this month

Post #367035  Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:33 pm 

Marquinhos has been given the No.27 shirt. Feels like the club will have a good look at him in pre season and decide how best to use him for the season, loan or perhaps keeping him for the first half of the year for europa and cups. When Martinelli joined as an 18 year old he played more than people thought in that first season

Post #367036  Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:48 am 

A bit of an update, and a few more clues.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/new ... e-20220705

Post #367037  Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:19 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Interesting read. A few issues that stood out to me, not that I am doubting them. The arrest was at 3am : was that really necessary. The alleged rape happened at a resort and she left and flew home. From where: in the Uk? Otherwise where is the jurisdiction. She appears to have been holidaying with him?

I will look with interest for follow up.

Post #367038  Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Interesting read. A few issues that stood out to me, not that I am doubting them. The arrest was at 3am : was that really necessary. The alleged rape happened at a resort and she left and flew home. From where: in the Uk? Otherwise where is the jurisdiction. She appears to have been holidaying with him?

I will look with interest for follow up.

In my youth I once got summonsed for an unpaid traffic fine. They banged on the door at 3 in the morning. When I asked why the horrid hour they said it is because it's when people are most likely to be home!

Post #367039  Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:14 am 

long time gooner wrote:

It’s quite peculiar this. It appears it can only be one of our players that mirrors the description.

The allegation is from someone who was staying with the accused so highly likely the players partner. The player being suggested is married. Until Arsenal release some confirmation that the player is with the squad in Germany the rumours will grow and grow fuelled by social media

Post #367040  Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:17 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Interesting read. A few issues that stood out to me, not that I am doubting them. The arrest was at 3am : was that really necessary

If the police are trying to avoid the potential publication of arresting someone famous 3am is a good bet. Especially if it’s a delicate and difficult allegation.Everyone has camera phones these days and people tend not to be around at that time. I imagine you can get someone in and out of a police station at that time without too much issue.

[ 390298 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9173, 9174, 9175, 9176, 9177, 9178, 9179 ... 9758  Next