Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 55 guests

Post #365161  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Whoever gets fourth place will have deserved it in my view. If it’s Tottenham they will have deserved it. If it’s Arsenal we will have deserved it

Tottenham won’t deserve it. As far as I’m concerned, the first thing they can do for me is chuck all their medals and all their caps and all their pots and all their pans into the biggest f*cking dustbin they can find. Because they've not done anything fairly. Theyve done it all by cheating

Medals?

Post #365162  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:55 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I went for a drive after the red card. I am a fan of Holding and he has performed in big games but Ben is better by a mile. Maybe there is a reason he didn't play, I haven't checked. Holding is a decent 3rd CB. With the exceptions of the top 3 or 3 clubs, he's better than pretty much any other back up CB out there.

I don't expect us to get 4th. I will be (air quotes) 'happy' if we do, but sperz beating us makes it feel undeserving. In or present incarnation I don't expect us to do well in the CL. I also don't expect this squad to get a CL position next season. If we buy certain players for certain positions....maybe. But I'm not expecting. I am expecting Europa football next season.

If we get 4th it may be a one off. Newcastle will spend like Liverpool and Man City in the summer now that they have money. Chelsea and City did the same when they got uber wealthy owners. Newcastl will be a top 4 side within the next 3-4 years I think. The way they have been playing since they got a sugar daddy, they could be one of the challengers for top 4 and definitely a challenger for a Europa League spot.

With all the issues this season, I feel Arteta has deserved his new contract. He brought the side farther ahead than what was expected this season. We'll be no worse than 5th probably so that is a big accomplishment, especially taking the first month of the season into consideration.

I will only watch games to the point we are going to win. Its not how I or anyone else usually watch games but for the remainder of this season, its what I will do. I will go back to watching the whole game, win, lose or draw next season. For now, I'm burned out on this squad. I may not even watch one of the two games. Yeah, its that bad.

So, not really a supporter then.

If that's the standard, then there are maybe half a dozen 'real' supporters then. :toothy9:

Over the years, a litany of SG forumites have said they stopped watching us and take what you guys refer to as a 'flounce'. Babu said he changed to Chelsea and I never heard that said to him but okay...lol (maybe he got a pass because it was assume he was off his meds)

So, just to make sure, not bothered over the next two games BUT a couple decades of watching and watching all games next season isn't a fan? Got it chief. :53big-emoticons:

Luckily for me, my personal standards of being a fan are my own.

Post #365163  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:02 pm 

Bored wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't expect us to get 4th. I will be (air quotes) 'happy' if we do, but sperz beating us makes it feel undeserving.

I will only watch games to the point we are going to win. Its not how I or anyone else usually watch games but for the remainder of this season, its what I will do. I will go back to watching the whole game, win, lose or draw next season. For now, I'm burned out on this squad. I may not even watch one of the two games. Yeah, its that bad.

I can't agree with you about it feeling undeserved if we get 4th just because we lost away at Sperz. You know we beat them 3-1 at home and they had 11 players. Does that result not count? Or the fact that our results over the season have put us 2 wins away, despite having a rookie manager, a threadbare squad and the youngest team in the league?

When you say burned out do you mean you've lost interest or you are finding it too stressful? Personally I've found some of the recent games horribly stressful (Man U and the last 20 mins against Leeds). Sperz I didnt find stressful because it was over as a contest pretty quickly once Holding got himself sent off. I stopped watching at that point because it was just an exercise in futile misery, but I admittedly kept tabs on the score by occasionally checking the BBC website!

Fair question and fair enough Bored. I get too emotionally tied to Arsenal at times and these past few weeks starting with the 3 straight losses where we seemed to have given sperz, Man Utd or even West Ham a chance back, took its emotional toll on me...as a fan. Not straight jacket, Im Napolean, mental institutioin strain but a long arduous season and it caught up to me.

I stopped watching after the red card. :20hospitals:

But I'll be fine, just a rant. I have been on this forum...what? a couple decades? Every kit bought, paid subscription to an American site solely for our EPL games, well over 30,000 posts on here, I'm a lifer. Can't stop watching us....rant/brief flounce aside. :58big-emoticons:

Post #365164  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:11 pm 

Question for the 2 or 3 people (including admins) I haven't blocked. :14laughter:
Okay, bad joke.

We are currently sitting 3rd with the most titles (13). First question, when Fergie passed us, did you notice it or everyone was fully aware when he got Man Utd its 14th title in 2001 I think. I don't recall if a fuss was made about it in the press. Did you feel anything about it at the time?

Everton sits behind us with 9 titles. Not much of a chance of them ever catching us. City and Chelsea are on with 7 and 6 respectively. City being the biggest threat.

Have you thought about them catching us? I have. It worries me. Yes, if it does it won't happen for a while and it also precludes us not winning titles till then. But I worry about having the most FA cups and also titles.

Post #365165  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Whoever gets fourth place will have deserved it in my view. If it’s Tottenham they will have deserved it. If it’s Arsenal we will have deserved it

Tottenham won’t deserve it. As far as I’m concerned, the first thing they can do for me is chuck all their medals and all their caps and all their pots and all their pans into the biggest f*cking dustbin they can find. Because they've not done anything fairly. Theyve done it all by cheating

How have they cheated?

Post #365166  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:04 pm 

I am going to be very, very interested in seeing the season documentary. I hope the season ends well (top 4) so there is a 'happy ending'. But my main curiosity is the behind the scenes look at our ups and downs and hopefully some answers to questions like Saliba, Aubameyang, Xhaka, and several others. I am 'almost' as excited to see it as I am the new Obi Wan Kenobi movie (I'm a hard care Start Wars fan...sue me :1laughter: )

Post #365167  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:53 pm 

So Cup Final day. Used to be the biggest game in world football - far and away the biggest game in English football. Started with the build up through the week then “Who’ll Win The Cup” on Friday evening. Panels and pundits, the arrival of the teams, communal singing and presentations. I used to absolutely love it.

Not quite the same these days, is it?

Post #365168  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don't think they'll need a very big bin. A wastepaper basket should do it.

But they will deserve it if they get 4th, sadly.

Post #365169  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

How have they cheated?

I’ve given up on explaining the footballing aspect of the sport to you. Happy to chat about other stuff though

Post #365170  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:06 pm 

DHD wrote:
So Cup Final day. Used to be the biggest game in world football - far and away the biggest game in English football. Started with the build up through the week then “Who’ll Win The Cup” on Friday evening. Panels and pundits, the arrival of the teams, communal singing and presentations. I used to absolutely love it.

The kick-off time is terrible. They really should go back to 3pm.

Post #365171  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:11 pm 

It’s all very well saying the cup final is special which it is. I love the cup myself but if your team isn’t involved these days it’s less interesting as a viewer.

Call me nostalgic but viewing the final without Des Lynam, Hansen and jimmy hill talking for 3 hours before kick off plus the imperious John motson makes it harder viewing. We all used to watch it religiously from 12 till kick off because they were good copy. now honestly not sure

Post #365172  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
How have they cheated?

I’ve given up on explaining the footballing aspect of the sport to you. Happy to chat about other stuff though

Or perhaps you’ve realised you said something stupid.

Post #365173  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Nah

Post #365174  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:26 pm 

Pépé replacement or one for the future?

https://dailycannon.com/2022/05/arsenal-marquinhos-agree-terms/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEtA5I5IopQ&t=77s

Post #365175  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Nah

I’ll leave it to you to explain how they cheated then.

Post #365176  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:38 pm 

DHD wrote:

I used to watch the whole game, even when Arsenal we weren’t in the final (if we were I went). The first FA Cup final not involving Arsenal that I didn’t bother watching was the Manchester City vs Stoke final in 2011. Since then the only ones I’ve watched in full are those when Arsenal reached the final. So I agree, it’s not the same these days.

I hardly ever watch full games not involving Arsenal now, although I probably will watch the Rangers vs Frankfurt Europa League final next Wednesday.

Post #365177  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:16 pm 

Mané elbows someone in the head worse than Holding and doesn’t get booked. He does it most games

Post #365178  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:02 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
So, not really a supporter then.

If that's the standard, then there are maybe half a dozen 'real' supporters then. :toothy9:

Over the years, a litany of SG forumites have said they stopped watching us and take what you guys refer to as a 'flounce'. Babu said he changed to Chelsea and I never heard that said to him but okay...lol (maybe he got a pass because it was assume he was off his meds)

So, just to make sure, not bothered over the next two games BUT a couple decades of watching and watching all games next season isn't a fan? Got it chief. :53big-emoticons:

Luckily for me, my personal standards of being a fan are my own.

You’re quite right. It’s all down to individual perspective.

I have never understood people who leave a ground if their team is not doing well. Not at all what I’d call support. I have never left a ground early.

Same really for saying in advance that I’ll watch until the team is not doing well. Far removed from my view of support.

The key issue is in the word ‘support’.

But you have a different view. Fair enough. Each to their own.

Post #365179  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Mané elbows someone in the head worse than Holding and doesn’t get booked. He does it most games

You’re quite right. Officiating is inconsistent and capricious. Effing annoying really.

Post #365180  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:09 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You’re quite right. Officiating is inconsistent and capricious. Effing annoying really.

Also Konate did something identical as last man.

Post #365181  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:24 pm 

Penalty shootout. Been coming for ages.

They’re going to have to be more accurate than the endless succession of almost shots.

Post #365182  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:51 pm 

So Liverpool win. Really good game - best I’ve seen for years, not that I’ve watched many. End to end for 120 mins. Some tremendous performances with no real controversies. Diaz was sensational.

Personally I wanted them both to lose but I think I wanted CFC to lose more.

Post #365183  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Also Konate did something identical as last man.

Apparently Tierney was the var ref today

Post #365184  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:01 pm 

Looks like we’re making some early moves in the transfer market.
Turner done for £7m or so
Young Brazilian winger Marquinhos for £3m
Strong rumours of a deal for Aaron Hickey from Bologna for £18m -good strategy to go back and get another full back from that after the success of the last
I can see the Jesus deal going through as well.

Bring back and integrate Saliba and get another top class centre mid and striker and that would be a great summer and would surely only see us get stronger next year

Post #365185  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:37 pm 

3 Fa cup final losses in a row for Chelsea

Post #365186  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:29 pm 

Rich wrote:

You love to see it.

Post #365187  Posted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
Strong rumours of a deal for Aaron Hickey from Bologna for £18m -good strategy to go back and get another full back from that after the success of the last

Bring back and integrate Saliba and get another top class centre mid and striker and that would be a great summer and would surely only see us get stronger next year

I’m intrigued how our business would be different depending if we finish 4th or 5th. I’m sure lots will be said about it, especially if we’re in the Europa, but we’ll just never know. I’d have thought Jesus coming would hinge on Champs league though.

Agree with all of this btw. Happy to have the CBs we’ve got plus Saliba. Do you think the current young players we have are ready for Champions league, and moreover a season including champions league and all the other fixtures? We’ll need a much larger squad than we currently have.

Post #365188  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:53 am 

Rich wrote:

Gee that's too bad.

Anyway ....

Post #365189  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:13 am 

I had quite forgotten that the League Cup final was also Liverpool beating Chelsea and also on penalties.

I guess that it’s the first time since 1993 that there has a doubling up of finalists.

Post #365190  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:49 am 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... 52516693-2

Seems odd to write an entire piece on Arteta complaining about some ref decisions when all the top managers complain all season long. Tuchel complained about the grass on his own pitch, Conte threatened to leave when he lost to Burnley

Post #365191  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:49 am 

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg on Spurs' penalty against Arsenal

“If we're going to give this as a penalty, I could find plenty of other examples when the same ‘foul' has occurred in the box in other games.”

He’s not wrong is he?

Post #365192  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:57 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg on Spurs' penalty against Arsenal

“If we're going to give this as a penalty, I could find plenty of other examples when the same ‘foul' has occurred in the box in other games.”

He’s not wrong is he?

No. One in the Final yesterday - would itself have been soft, but far more of a push than ours. Konate on Ziyech I think?

Post #365193  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:59 am 

Ash wrote:

Agree with all of this btw. Happy to have the CBs we’ve got plus Saliba. Do you think the current young players we have are ready for Champions league, and moreover a season including champions league and all the other fixtures? We’ll need a much larger squad than we currently have.

I thought the same question recently so went to look at the champions league group stage and tried to think where we would fare in each of the groups
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Champions_League
I think we’d be in a fight for 2nd/3rd at the worst. I also think we shouldn’t underestimate the ability of Prem teams (not Man U) to play at a pace and intensity that a lot of European clubs can struggle with. We can play like that.
The question of whether we can cope fighting on two fronts, right now no chance, I think we need at least 6 more players in the squad for that to get to 25 players.
1 x CB
1 x ambidextrous full back
1 x CM
2x striker
And depending on the flexibility of those and if elneny/Nketiah sign a new deal then maybe another wide player or another central player.

We need to look at where we’ve been hurt the most with injuries and bring players in to fill those gaps.

Post #365194  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:17 am 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

I’m intrigued how our business would be different depending if we finish 4th or 5th. I’m sure lots will be said about it, especially if we’re in the Europa, but we’ll just never know. I’d have thought Jesus coming would hinge on Champs league though.

We definitely need a larger squad, agree on that. As for whether our players are ready; my answer is they're good enough, so they'll be ready.

Post #365195  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:23 am 

john1 wrote:
Ash wrote:

We definitely need a larger squad, agree on that. As for whether our players are ready; my answer is they're good enough, so they'll be ready.

I think our first 11 is ready but squad isn’t built for 3 domestic and 1 European competition across a Season like you said. It’s too small and when the injuries hit things will come really adrift.

I think there’s a lot to be taken from the managers comments that he needs 22 players plus 3 keepers.

We are being linked with Hickey the young Scottish left back which is interesting but it’s also been mooted we might swap Pablo Mari for the udinese right back plus some cash. If that happened with saliba returning our defence would be well and truly sorted for good. The transfer business will be interesting on how they approach improving the first team but also beef up the numbers

Post #365196  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:25 am 

Not seen much noise on the decline of Kante. It’s as though no one is allowed to say it because of what a lovely humble bloke he is. Kovacic has been far and away Chelsea’s best centre mid this season, and Kante hasn’t been world class for a couple of seasons now

Post #365197  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:30 am 

Bellerin, guendouzi, nelson, Torreira, Pépé, mavropanos, Mari.

Surely that’s 60 million in incomings transfer fees at least. Should provide a decent budget for restructuring

Post #365198  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:32 am 

Rich wrote:
Not seen much noise on the decline of Kante. It’s as though no one is allowed to say it because of what a lovely humble bloke he is. Kovacic has been far and away Chelsea’s best centre mid this season, and Kante hasn’t been world class for a couple of seasons now

He’s being linked with man united. His game was all action so it must be hard to maintain that as you get into your thirties. Honestly not getting him was wengers biggest mistake in his latter years. Spending 6 million more on xhaka

Post #365199  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:43 am 

Will be cheering for Burnley and West Ham and I think the 'ammers have a pretty good shot of getting a draw. They are a tough nut to cra... er...ah...they are often bit tough to beat at home. :42laughter:

Still hoping Liverpool pips City to the title. Putting distance between them and Man Utd for most titles and a stronger possiblity of a quadruple and reducing the significance of the '99 treble, albeit it, it will always remian an incredible accomplishment. Just not as incredible. :7laughter:

Post #365200  Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:46 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Still hoping Liverpool pips City to the title. Putting distance between them and Man Utd for most titles and a stronger possiblity of a quadruple and reducing the significance of the '99 treble, albeit it, it will always remian an incredible accomplishment. Just not as incredible. :7laughter:

He's got absolutely no idea has he?

[ 390309 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9127, 9128, 9129, 9130, 9131, 9132, 9133 ... 9758  Next