Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 289 guests

Post #504121  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:22 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We haven’t been involved in a genuine title chase for a decade and a half.

Do you think things are going well

No, things haven't been great. I'm certainly looking forward to finishing in the bottom four of the ESL every year for the next couple of decades as a bit of a pick-me-up.

Whilst competing at the top of the premiership due to the increased revenue ?

Post #504122  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 am 

bubblechris wrote:
But have any of you seen this, comments please:
https://www.sportbible.com/football/new ... n-20210419

If it came to that I don't think it is too arrogant to suggest that the viewing figures, TV money and sponsorship money would drop like a stone.
All the other companies who use football as a vehicle to run or supplement their own business would pull out pretty quickly if those 12 teams we're involved. The global reach of fans of those 12 teams must be huge compared to even the next 50 most supported teams

Post #504123  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:27 am 

Let’s be honest if we were in the champions league anyway we would be getting hammered and embarrassed the moment we come up against anyone good (or not in some cases) what’s the difference ?

Post #504124  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Let’s be honest if we were in the champions league anyway we would be getting hammered and embarrassed the moment we come up against anyone good (or not in some cases) what’s the difference ?

The difference is we would have got into the Champions League by merit unlike the proposed scenario where we would be guaranteed to be in the $UP£R L£AGU£ every year regardless of how crap we were.
I'm not even that excited by the prospect of Champions League qualification anyway as we generally are pretty rubbish.

Interesting to read DHD's comments. Even with the corruption surrounding football's governing bodies surely the new proposals are even worse, as it shafts every other team in Europe who aren't involved in the super league?

Post #504125  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:10 pm 

I am opposed to the so-called European Super League for one reason only.

If it fails, then I think Kroenke will eff off out of it.

#kroenkeout

Post #504126  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:20 pm 

john1 wrote:
I am opposed to the so-called European Super League for one reason only.

If it fails, then I think Kroenke will eff off out of it.

#kroenkeout

I believe he’s never sold a share in any of his sporting ventures (please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that’s true)

In addition to this he’s made about 1 billion dollars off Arsenal and the increase in value of the club and therefore his own shareholding. This will continue to increase

Do you really think he’s walking away anytime soon ?

Post #504127  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

It's hard to put into words the stupidity of this post.

Post #504128  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:30 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
As I understand it Premier League Rule L9 forbids clubs from entering competitions that don't have approval. Expect money to take care of that but I don't think too many other clubs will be that happy.

By the way for those who think SK will plow all that money into the club, think again. Other than the LA Rams he is happy to just turn up season after season in other sports.

I think the whole thing is done and dusted. It is just what brown envelopes, stacked with cash, the EPL need to allow us to stay.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/super-leag ... tie2tubmhz

The Premier League should follow suit.Sure they'll appeal but that takes time and losses will mount up.

Post #504129  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:31 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It's hard to put into words the stupidity of this post.

What as opposed to suggesting we stop campaigning against racism because it won’t stop there being racists !

:14laughter: :14laughter:

Post #504130  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm 

Ah. Doing it to save football. That’s alright then.

http://www.skysports.com/share/12280860

Post #504131  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:11 pm 

Bored wrote:
dec wrote:
I hear what you are saying but the sporting integrity of the competition was already compromised. 4 teams from England get to qualify for the CL whereas loads of league winners from other countries are placed much further back. Then the group stages are seeded. The new proposal takes it a step further, obviously. FFP turned out to be a fraud.

Also, cheating is absolutely endemic in football. If you step back and look at it objectively you have the participants cheating in every game and managers lying in interviews. The game lost its sporting integrity a long time ago.

BTW, I still don't like this proposal.

I agree football's integrity has been slipping away for ages now, but this could potentially destroy the whole fabric of English football. I think this is bigger than football and it requires govenment intervention.

I disagree completely as I have already pointed out what I think should happen. Imo things could greatly improve given the impetus of the SL. If the Government wants to do something positive change the law, don't ask me how, so our league clubs are run the way they are in Germany where I would remind you that they can watch a Bundesliga game for £12 or thereabouts, unless it has shot up since.

It needs some sort of intervention and some shuffling of accounts and monies but the end result would be football as a sport not a business run for the youth of tomorrow by the youth of today. :22encouragement:

Post #504132  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:15 pm 

I am after 60 years of supporting and going to matches, home, away and in Europe a "Legacy Fan"

The issue here

Season Ticket holder. 26 home games for £1300
You might get more game which you subsequently pay for.
You might get less games and be refunded.

With the ESL which will be two groups of ten teams you will have nine home matches, plus 19 PL matches if still allowed to play in PL. That's 28 matches. (I'm not even including the FA Cup). An "A" match at the Emirates is £97 a ticket. You will still have the "A" matches in the PL v the other five English ESL teams and then another nine home "A" matches v the rest of your group. However, should you progress to final you then have another two matches. A season ticket will costs a lot more. Then the away matches. PPV. What's the going rate today. £15-20, maybe more.

Where's the Jeopardy?

This is not good for football and quite frankly I am ashamed of our owners, not Arsenal football club.

Will be interesting to hear the players views on this.

Post #504133  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:48 pm 

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/european-soccer-embraced-big-money-040017565.html

Persevere with this if you have the time. It's a Bloomberg piece with a slightly wider perspective that some of our nationals.

With just a 77m euro debt, we're one of the better-off clubs. Spurs owe 685 billion euro! This makes the point that the top 20 clubs have suffered a 2 billion euro hit due to the pandemic and clearly see the Super League as an instant fix. Having said that, something like this has been bubbling away for some time by the sound of it.

Post #504134  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:58 pm 

Bored wrote:
I agree football's integrity has been slipping away for ages now, but this could potentially destroy the whole fabric of English football. I think this is bigger than football and it requires govenment intervention.
If I have read it right the ESL is not looking to destroy any national league - the 12 members have made it clear they want to retain their memberships of said leagues, but also have the right to do their own thing too. There is a lot of hyperbole at the moment - not least from UEFA, whose control over the money in the game is being challenged in a way they can't handle. Resorting to threats is not going to help them. Also, lets be honest, the current English football gravy train doesn't call at too many stops outside the top leagues. If the toilets at Dartford are made of gold I must have missed them...

Post #504135  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:02 pm 

DHD wrote:
The way I see it, this isn’t about wresting the ownership and control of the game from the leagues, the clubs or the fans. It’s about American-dominated sports businesses going after UEFA and FIFA who effectively stole the game a couple of generations ago. The campaign against Blatter and FIFA was largely orchestrated by the American Government who saw a bloated and institutionally corrupt organisation that was nonetheless awash with money. You can bet your life that the Glazers, Kroenkes and Henrys were all whispering in the appropriate ears. UEFA are in the crosshairs currently.

Despite some shuffling of the personnel, FIFA continue to grow even fatter off world football and UEFA currently take billions out of the European game. This grates on a lot of people but particularly on these super-rich American Owners since they see all that surplus dosh as being generated by their players and their clubs.
So true. Memories must be short if people now see UEFA and FIFA as the great egalitarians and saviours of the game.

Post #504136  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:09 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bored wrote:

If I have read it right the ESL is not looking to destroy any national league - the 12 members have made it clear they want to retain their memberships of said leagues, but also have the right to do their own thing too. There is a lot of hyperbole at the moment - not least from UEFA, whose control over the money in the game is being challenged in a way they can't handle. Resorting to threats is not going to help them. Also, lets be honest, the current English football gravy train doesn't call at too many stops outside the top leagues. If the toilets at Dartford are made of gold I must have missed them...

Tend to agree Old Man. It's a bit rich to hear UEFA talk about a "shameless money grab" and "wanting to sell the TV rights on their own platform" when that's what UEFA have been doing for years since they inveigled themselves into their position of control.

Post #504137  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:16 pm 

Northbank Memories wrote:
I am after 60 years of supporting and going to matches, home, away and in Europe a "Legacy Fan"

The issue here

Season Ticket holder. 26 home games for £1300
You might get more game which you subsequently pay for.
You might get less games and be refunded.

With the ESL which will be two groups of ten teams you will have nine home matches, plus 19 PL matches if still allowed to play in PL. That's 28 matches. (I'm not even including the FA Cup). An "A" match at the Emirates is £97 a ticket. You will still have the "A" matches in the PL v the other five English ESL teams and then another nine home "A" matches v the rest of your group. However, should you progress to final you then have another two matches. A season ticket will costs a lot more. Then the away matches. PPV. What's the going rate today. £15-20, maybe more.

Where's the Jeopardy?

This is not good for football and quite frankly I am ashamed of our owners, not Arsenal football club.

Will be interesting to hear the players views on this.

Hi H, welcome back.

The counter to what you’ve said here (which is interesting) is that you are watching better quality football and the club are being given more money to invest in the team. I’e let’s keep playing crap teams category b teams then.

I don’t think ticket pricing is the real issue here the club will need to find a realistic compromise for its fans on that. Real issue for me is the fact global and European football would be controlled essentially by a cartel with a massively American influence.

Post #504138  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm 

Ignoring the gross nature of the play for ESL that’s being made what’s the actual reality?

It’s just a new midweek European competition replacing the champions league that may mean you would need to ditch the league cup and possibly the fa cup right ?

Correct me if I’m wrong but that doesn’t seem such a drastic change to me?

Post #504139  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:47 pm 

The glamour of a top class European tie will be completely lost. Fixtures we've had in our history against Benfica, PSG, Parma, Real Madrid, Juventus, Barcelona, Bayern, Fiorentina, Athletico Madrid - these were special because our domestic achievements earned us the right to play at this level but also because they were rare events which generated excitement. When we drew Barca or Bayern or Olympiakos years in a row, it's just not the same. It's not them again, and I'm not just saying that as we lost most of those!!

People will get bored of it extremely quickly and there's no real rivalry between the sides that is a fundamental part of domestic football.

Bin it.

Post #504140  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:47 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bored wrote:

Hi OMOH,

Totally agree, there is an incredible amount of hypocrisy going on here.

The govt would act to prevent 6 teams legitimately participating in their own midweek superleague instead of the CL whilst allowing foreign owners with questionable human rights and business practices to own our clubs.

Sky, BT and Uefa are not up in arms because they fear for the integrity of the game, they fear that their own gravy train might be about to hit the buffers that's all they fear.

Post #504141  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ignoring the gross nature of the play for ESL that’s being made what’s the actual reality? It’s just a new midweek European competition replacing the champions league that may mean you would need to ditch the league cup and possibly the fa cup right? Correct me if I’m wrong but that doesn’t seem such a drastic change to me?
UEFA could continue with their Champions League or something similar - their choice. It could be an opportunity to go back to the founding principles of the European Cup - only champions competing - which football fans used to enjoy and would bring back that competitions USP. UEFA's idea though is very different - a 36 team Champions League runnng alongside a Europa Cup of interminable length. That is yawn inducing, and validates the ESL founders' view that UEFA is happy to oversee many very ordinary fixtures just so long as the money rolls in.

It would be dreadful to do away with the FA Cup - it is a great English institution and wonderfully egalitarian competition which pre-dates the leagues. It must be protected. In all the noise about the dangers to English football it is worth remembering that the FA Cup was being watered down by the English clubs long before the ESL was thought of. Unbelievably it was weakened when the biggest club in the country refused to take part, and the FA did nothing about it.

Post #504142  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:57 pm 

socrates wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Hi OMOH,

The govt would act to prevent 6 teams legitimately participating in their own midweek superleague instead of the CL whilst allowing foreign owners with questionable human rights and business practices to own our clubs.

Sky, BT and Uefa are not up in arms because they fear for the integrity of the game, they fear that their own gravy train might be about to hit the buffers that's all they fear.

The Sky hypocrisy question was addressed on the MNF last night.

Who here believes that the subscription model has improved football?

I thought they had some very strong arguments in favour of Sky's overall contribution (stadiums, lack of hooliganism; quality of the Premier League and Champions League, families going to the games).

The Champions League and Premier League have been fantastic over the years.

The problems started when they allowed in the venture capitalists. No one said a word and this is the end result.

Post #504143  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:00 pm 

DHD wrote:
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/european-soccer-embraced-big-money-040017565.html

Persevere with this if you have the time. It's a Bloomberg piece with a slightly wider perspective that some of our nationals.

With just a 77m euro debt, we're one of the better-off clubs. Spurs owe 685 billion euro! This makes the point that the top 20 clubs have suffered a 2 billion euro hit due to the pandemic and clearly see the Super League as an instant fix. Having said that, something like this has been bubbling away for some time by the sound of it.

685 billion? Is that figure right?

Post #504144  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:01 pm 

I mean FFS, I know Newcastle fans here (not many obviously) absolutely gutted when the Saudi's weren't allowed in.

Post #504145  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:02 pm 

socrates wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Hi OMOH,

Tell me when you have 14 PL clubs and many others, people in the game and supporters up in arms about 6 teams starting their own ESL. How can they play in the PL? The animosity for each match will be off the chart. The current system allows teams hope, the ESL one doesn't.

This should NEVER get off the ground.

Post #504146  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:04 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Ignoring the gross nature of the play for ESL that’s being made what’s the actual reality? It’s just a new midweek European competition replacing the champions league that may mean you would need to ditch the league cup and possibly the fa cup right? Correct me if I’m wrong but that doesn’t seem such a drastic change to me?
UEFA could continue with their Champions League or something similar - their choice. It could be an opportunity to go back to the founding principles of the European Cup - only champions competing - which football fans used to enjoy and would bring back that competitions USP. UEFA's idea though is very different - a 36 team Champions League runnng alongside a Europa Cup of interminable length. That is yawn inducing, and validates the ESL founders' view that UEFA is happy to oversee many very ordinary fixtures just so long as the money rolls in.

It would be dreadful to do away with the FA Cup - it is a great English institution and wonderfully egalitarian competition which pre-dates the leagues. It must be protected. In all the noise about the dangers to English football it is worth remembering that the FA Cup was being watered down by the English clubs long before the ESL was thought of. Unbelievably it was weakened when the biggest club in the country refused to take part, and the FA did nothing about it.

Can't see the FA Cup being attractive at all if the ESL comes in to the top 6.

Post #504147  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:06 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

Must include the stadium.

Post #504148  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:08 pm 

socrates wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Hi OMOH,

100 percent spot on

Sky are aware they have already agreed the rights will be sold to DAZN on this. Don’t expect their vitriol over this to ease up.

Post #504149  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:16 pm 

socrates wrote:

Hi OMOH,

Tell me when you have 14 PL clubs and many others, people in the game and supporters up in arms about 6 teams starting their own ESL. How can they play in the PL? The animosity for each match will be off the chart. The current system allows teams hope, the ESL one doesn't.

Hi H,

Hope you are keeping well.

I think the animosity is already there now, the damage has been done. A relationship between the big 6 and the rest, which was often fragile anyway, has been well and truly broken.

I don't see how there is any way back barring govt intervention which in itself would cause all sorts of legal issues. What law is there to prevent clubs forming a breakaway league? Isn't that exactly what Sky and the PL did in 92 or whenever it was.

Post #504150  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:
No takers on this one ?

Could be Thomas Henry Jobson.

A reply from her:

Thank you so much for your information on my dad Tom Jobson
It was so nice to hear all about him. Some things I did know but not as much as all of you
found out. The only thing that was wrong was his name. His full name is
Thomas Henry Albert Jobson. It wasn’t Anthony .
I guess my dad must have been a good footballer to be in such good teams as Arsenal, Ipswich and Leyton I do remember going to Woodford fc to watch a game there I think he was a manager there or coach I forget but I remember him saying that he built the stand there.

When they opened the stand they had invited a lot of stars there I took a video of the stars playing Tommy Steele was there and I think Jeremy Irons were there I can’t think of anyone else off hand , but anyway thank you so much
Margaret Jobson Worlock

Post #504151  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 pm 

warrior wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Could be Thomas Henry Jobson.

A reply from her:

It was so nice to hear all about him. Some things I did know but not as much as all of you
Thomas Henry Albert Jobson. It wasn't Anthony .
I guess my dad must have been a good footballer to be in such good teams as Arsenal, Ipswich and Leyton I do remember going to Woodford fc to watch a game there I think he was a manager there or coach I forget but I remember him saying that he built the stand there.

When they opened the stand they had invited a lot of stars there I took a video of the stars playing Tommy Steele was there and I think Jeremy Irons were there I can’t think of anyone else off hand , but anyway thank you so much
Margaret Jobson Worlock

Nice one Rog.

Post #504152  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

Good to see you're paying attention LTG - should be 685 million euro debt. Sorry.

It's the only league I'm happy for them to top.

Post #504153  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:20 pm 

socrates wrote:

Hi H,

Hope you are keeping well.

I think the animosity is already there now, the damage has been done. A relationship between the big 6 and the rest, which was often fragile anyway, has been well and truly broken.

I don't see how there is any way back barring govt intervention which in itself would cause all sorts of legal issues. What law is there to prevent clubs forming a breakaway league? Isn't that exactly what Sky and the PL did in 92 or whenever it was.

This is a completely different kettle of fish from the Sky/PL deal back in the day.

Post #504154  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:32 pm 

Niall wrote:
warrior wrote:

A reply from her:

Thomas Henry Albert Jobson. It wasn't Anthony .

Margaret Jobson Worlock

Nice one Rog.

Seconded. Football really was the people's game back then. Things don't always change for the better.

Post #504155  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm 

Niall wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Must include the stadium.

I reckon that you could get quite a few stadia for 685 billion. :12hello-bye:

Post #504156  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:40 pm 

socrates wrote:

Hi OMOH,

Maybe this ESL development has rocked football for one overriding reason - it blatantly confirms, with no pretence, that there is an elite league within the Premiership, not just in terms of affording the best players and winning trophies but also more importantly in attracting paying viewers. We all know this is the reality, and as sweet as it was when Leicester broke the cartel, we also knew that was a rare thing. All the other clubs know this too, and while they may be put out right now, when the inevitable compromise is made they will quite readily resume 'friendly' relations with the six. The gravy train will continue to run - the first class carriages will just be bigger. It is extremely hard to warm to any of the owners of the six, but you can't say they are trying to dupe anybody. They know they have the power and are being straightforward in using it.

If, and it is very unlikely, the six are thrown out of the Premiership, then the other clubs will have a beter chance of winning the competition, albeit with less money in their pockets.

Post #504157  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:48 pm 

socrates wrote:
...I don't see how there is any way back barring govt intervention which in itself would cause all sorts of legal issues. What law is there to prevent clubs forming a breakaway league? Isn't that exactly what Sky and the PL did in 92 or whenever it was.
Yes it was, and shame on this government, and its supine Opposition, for threatening to legislate in the matter. This past year has been astonishing for the way in which a Conservative government has nationalised a good deal of life, but at least there was an important reason for doing so. How in all honesty can it be right to extend their power into the running of football clubs?

Post #504158  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:53 pm 

Niall wrote:
Can't see the FA Cup being attractive at all if the ESL comes in to the top 6.
I don't know. It still has that something about it. Well certainly for me. A look at the faces of the winners of this years final may also show that the players still value it.

Post #504159  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:59 pm 

Imagine if we were kicked out of the Europa League as punishment...

Post #504160  Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:
And more....sorry to be such a bore, but....

JPMorgan has confirmed they underwrite the project.

Each founding member would be provided at the start with ~$400 million, which is more than four times what the winner of the Champions League took home in 2020.

By forming their own competition, they believe they can better leverage their brands without smaller, less attractive clubs diluting their value.

For Arsenal financially it’s a no brainer! Covers the loan, gives a budget towards the rebuild and neglect Kroenkes ownership has brought the club plus it removes the aggro of having to qualify anymore which we are too crap to achieve anyway.

Makes complete sense! Bring it on.

Of course. Sheik Mansour needs $400M like I need a new bunny tail. None of these 12 owners needs $400M start up.

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12601, 12602, 12603, 12604, 12605, 12606, 12607 ... 13710  Next