Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 67 guests

Post #412361  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:59 pm 

Normally I'd expect to see starts for Kolasinac, Cédric, AMN, Partey, Willock, Elneny, Nketiah, Nelson in the midweek game vs Vienna, but Arteta has played some stronger teams than many would. This is on paper the toughest of our Europa League group gaes so it wouldn't surprise me to see us be quite strong

Post #412362  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:15 pm 

tomc wrote:
Rich wrote:
I thought the same. I saw criticism of Pépé not driving at defenders and beating them with pace and skill but as you said he's usually got 8 defenders in front of him and 40 yards to goal when he receives it. Should he be doing more? probably but attackers sometimes need to be given the right platform to flourish. Moving the ball forward quicker would be a start.

Moving Pépé over to the left would also be better as well methinks. All this left footed winger coming in from the right just isn't working for him. A Robben or Waddle he ain't (yet). Get him over to the left and get him running at defenders and getting crosses in to PEA from that flank

What about the cross he did at Wembley last season from the right flank that Aubameyang headed in ?

Or the one againest West Ham away last year from the right flank that got flicked in.

Or the one againest Newcastle at home last year that Aubameyang headed in,

Or,or,or

Does anyone here actually watch Arsenal games ?

Post #412363  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:
Moving Pépé over to the left would also be better as well methinks. All this left footed winger coming in from the right just isn't working for him. A Robben or Waddle he ain't (yet). Get him over to the left and get him running at defenders and getting crosses in to PEA from that flank

What about the cross he did at Wembley last season from the right flank that Aubameyang headed in ?

Or the one againest West Ham away last year from the right flank that got flicked in.

Or,or,or

Keep your wig on pal. I'm just suggsting that it might be an idea to move him across to the left flank where he could prove to be more effective. We all want to see the fella produce more than he is currently doing, notwithstanding the examples you have very kindly provided above.

And yeah I do watch Arsenal matches. Been doing so since 1969.

Post #412364  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:40 pm 

I’m struggling with Sky’s info. Not clear to me.

I see that the Leicester game is on Sky Box Office (something that I’d normally associate with such as boxing).

As a Sky Sports Subscriber it looks like I have to sign up to the Box Office and then stump up the cash if I want to watch the game. What isn’t at all clear (to me at any rate) is whether I can then watch the game on my TV as I would any other game. Or am I forced into watching it on an iPad app?

Post #412365  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just rewatching the game. In the 41st minute Aguero (who I like as a player) got in a small dispute with the lineswoman about a throw. But what i found very disturbing was that Aguero then touched her around the upper arm or neck. It was not in a threatening manner but I am afraid that is a real no no in my view. Would he have done it to a male and if so it is still wrong. He should face disciplinary proceedings for this. What has also surprised me is the lack of reaction in the UK media.

I don't think Man City are anywhere near the side of 2 years ago but they controlled the game which is a problem. They looked like they were in 2nd gear and if they had to could have lifted. Trying for a result after their last 2 games.

I'm with you and thought the Aguero arm across the shoulder was just creepy. The lineswoman visibly shirked away from it as well which made it look worse.

Agree with you both. Uncomfortable viewing.

Post #412366  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:42 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I’m struggling with Sky’s info. Not clear to me.

I see that the Leicester game is on Sky Box Office (something that I’d normally associate with such as boxing).

As a Sky Sports Subscriber it looks like I have to sign up to the Box Office and then stump up the cash if I want to watch the game. What isn’t at all clear (to me at any rate) is whether I can then watch the game on my TV as I would any other game. Or am I forced into watching it on an iPad app?
I'd read a good book instead!

Post #412367  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:36 pm 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:
Soc, why are you comparing Pépé to Hazard and peak Giggs? Did you honestly think he would be that good? Taking that approach I would be disappointed in Tierney for not reaching the standards of Ashley Cole or Stuart Pearce.

Hi Dec,

So what were you expecting for £70m, a player who is not even one of the first names on the teamsheet?

Clearly I am not saying he should be as good as those two but I think it was nor unreasonable, given his skillset, to have expected a player in that mould.

Hi Soc,

I think we know at this stage that the transfer fee was inflated...a Raul special. I have been underwhelmed to date but there's no doubt he had a difficult first season, something he admitted himself. It didn't help that Emery's tactics and selections were all over the place and bizarrely when it looked like he was coming into form Dick dropped him. He certainly wasn't a disaster though and has the tools to become a very good player.

As to Giggs or Hazard, I never expected him to be that good or even close really. Hazard is a top 5/6 in the world player.

Post #412368  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:40 am 

Rich wrote:
We may be criticising our creativity and attacking but we've also got the 2nd best defensive record in the league having already travelled to the 2 teams who would likely end up scoring the most goals this season. Still a really tough run of 6 games to come in the league:
Leicester (h)
Man U (a)
Villa (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Spurs (a)

12 points from those 6 games should be the minimum target if we have top 4 aims.

Leicester win
Man Utd away shock win
Villa home win
Leeds away win
Wolves home win
Spurs away draw

Post #412369  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:19 am 

Rich wrote:
We may be criticising our creativity and attacking but we've also got the 2nd best defensive record in the league having already travelled to the 2 teams who would likely end up scoring the most goals this season. Still a really tough run of 6 games to come in the league:
Leicester (h)
Man U (a)
Villa (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Spurs (a)

12 points from those 6 games should be the minimum target if we have top 4 aims.

I also read somewhere that he has history of doing the same. He did it to Dele Alli amongst others. Mason said it and thinks the guy should be banned before he breaks someone's legs.

Post #412370  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:44 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Rich wrote:
Leicester (h)
Man U (a)
Villa (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Spurs (a)

I also read somewhere that he has history of doing the same. He did it to Dele Alli amongst others. Mason said it and thinks the guy should be banned before he breaks someone's legs.

What does non sequitur mean?

Post #412371  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:27 am 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

If this is a non sequitur post challenge - I will have a go - Martinez must be waiting for the upcoming game. They have only played 4 games but 2 of them will give us a direct comparison by the time we play them - Liverpool and Leicester.

Post #412372  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

If this is a non sequitur post challenge - I will have a go - Martinez must be waiting for the upcoming game. They have only played 4 games but 2 of them will give us a direct comparison by the time we play them - Liverpool and Leicester.

Only if it’s raining.

Post #412373  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:50 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Only if it’s raining.

It was a lovely backheel. He was awful for the first hour, though.

Post #412374  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:53 am 

Saw a piece that noted that if Saliba had cost £3m instead of £25m then not many Arsenal fans would be getting frustrated that a 19 year old isn't quite ready for the first team. Saliba is younger than Medley and Ballard who are both on loan.
The shame seems to be that Saliba hasn't gone out on loan if that is what the management think he needs. Also a shame that he's not in the Europa League squad - perhaps because they thought he'd be going on loan - because games against Dundalk and Molde at least would appear to be good games to get him experience.

Post #412375  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:15 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Only if it’s raining.

It's pastry week tonight. Lottie will have to improve on last week.

Post #412376  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:56 am 

Arsenal, 30 years ago today anyone? No Googling.

Post #412377  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:02 pm 

tomc wrote:

So 20th October 1990? I’m struggling with this one. Wasn’t the date of our only league defeat that season, was it? Hence Chelsea away?

Post #412378  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

So 20th October 1990? I’m struggling with this one. Wasn’t the date of our only league defeat that season, was it? Hence Chelsea away?

Nope, although we were away on the day.

Post #412379  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:16 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Brawl at Old Trafford?

Post #412380  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
tomc wrote:

Brawl at Old Trafford?

Give that man a Mars Bar :58big-emoticons:

Post #412381  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:27 pm 

tomc wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Red ones are the best.

Post #412382  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
FA still hiding behind the "incident was seen by officials at the time so no further punishment will be handed out" with respect to the Pickford tackle on Van Dijk.
Is football the only sport that does this, nearly every other major sport I know has a proper disciplinary panel that acts in serious cases irrespective of what happened on the pitch.

The FA don't want to undermine the referee by acting over them, but the ref missed it and VAR missed it, by not acting it puts the ref and VAR firmly back in the spotlight. Everyone can see it is a clear red, there must be a 3 game ban.

If the FA and referee's association expect us to swallow it then they need to come out and explain why Pickford's tackle didn't meet the threshold for a red card for serious foul play.

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

So come on Mike Riley or The FA, explain what part Pickford didn't meet?

Absolutely. The only thing 'undermining the referee' (and match officials more generally) is this failure to take responsibility. It gives the impression that the whole lot are closing ranks like an unaccountable mafia. Setting match officials up as the 'enemy' undermines them in my view.

Apparent the VAR official is now claiming he/she 'forgot' the rules with the Pickford tackle.

I can only imagines that this is the case with the Mané offside. If there is a frame where some part of Mané's body, feet or head is over the line (and not his elbow or sleeve!) they really need to show it. Otherwise their credibility is rapidly approaching zero.

Post #412383  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:33 pm 

I read that Van Dijk had only missed 35 minutes of premier league football since he signed for Liverpool and then went off injured at the weekend. Liverpool are now down to their only 2 senior CB's and hoping Fabinho can fill in as well. Testing times for them. I predict we may see less of Robertson and Trent flying so far forward with the loss of Van Dijk.

Post #412384  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

Or,or,or

No, you are the only one who actually watches, in the deepest sense of taking in every detail and gaining infallible wisdom via the eyes :53big-emoticons:

Post #412385  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I agree that Pépé receiving flat passes isn't helping. I also don't expect him to beat 8 defenders. My point is for all of his supposed pace amd trickery, I've rarely seen him beat one defender.

What about his goal againest Sheffield? A one two with Bellerin and he has 2 defenders in stitches. 100% down to him that one.

Yes I know but that is as I mentioned "rare". He also puffed up like peacock after that goal and thought his job for the day was done because he disappeared completely and stopped defending for the remainder. As noted in an earlier post, his workrate was an improvement against Man City so it looks like Arteta is giving him the judge he needs.

Post #412386  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

Or,or,or

Have you watched any this year, apart from the Sheffield match?

Post #412387  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:45 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Or,or,or

Have you watched any this year, apart from the Sheffield match?

Yeah plenty, he’s barely played

Post #412388  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Or,or,or

No, you are the only one who actually watches, in the deepest sense of taking in every detail and gaining infallible wisdom via the eyes :53big-emoticons:

Thanks mate

Post #412389  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:32 pm 

tomc wrote:
Rich wrote:
Brawl at Old Trafford?

Give that man a Mars Bar :58big-emoticons:

Just make sure Arsene isn't looking....

Post #412390  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:13 pm 

I see that Liverpool, Man U and some other un-named Premier league clubs are in discussions with FIFA about creating a European super league. It makes me angry that 100+ years of football culture and history can just be eradicated because some greedy multi billionaire club owners want to make even more money and by trashing the game in the process. I'm all for progress but change isnt necessarily the same thing.

Post #412391  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:11 pm 

What makes the Champion's league exciting is seeing big clubs who typically don't see each other as much, square off. Barcelona vs Juventus, or Bayern Munich vs. Liverpool doesn't happen often, but when it does all eyes are on it. Normalize it where they are playing twice a year, annually (and you know they will have their own version of a league cup), and it will get boring. Decades old if not over a century old rivalries go by the way side. .

I can assure the American owners will be all for it. Changing cities is nothing to us. Very few clubs are left where there is enough nostalgia that it would get push back if they left. But too many change cities too often. The present LA Rams were originally in Cleveland, left for LA, then moved to St. Louis and moved back to LA, all within 75 years. Even the storied Los Angeles Lakers were originally from Minneapolis. (Minnesota is known as the land of a thousand lakes).

I was attracted to the English leagues over the other leagues for a variety of reasons. But over the course of 20 odd years, the league and the game as changed where its almost unrecognizable. The skill level has gone up alot but at the expense of a variety of things that made the league great.

Post #412392  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:25 pm 

Seems that as expected and trailed, Özil and Sokratis have indeed been omitted from our Premier League squad submitted today.

Post #412393  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:35 pm 

Premier League facing backlash over $19 pay-per-view charge

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/20/foot ... index.html

Post #412394  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:18 pm 

Bored wrote:
I see that Liverpool, Man U and some other un-named Premier league clubs are in discussions with FIFA about creating a European super league. It makes me angry that 100+ years of football culture and history can just be eradicated because some greedy multi billionaire club owners want to make even more money and by trashing the game in the process. I'm all for progress but change isnt necessarily the same thing.

Good call

Also if Arsenal are involved that’s 3 American owners trying to drive it. It’s our national sport, there needs to be intervention.

Post #412395  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:18 pm 

PSG should get a PK purely for how ugly the Man Utd kit is.

Post #412396  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:00 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
tomc wrote:

Red ones are the best.

Fine and sunny but the fish aren't biting. Wrong bait?

Post #412397  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 pm 

Liverpool having a whinge about Pickford.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... n-pickford
Apparently people like Jimmy Case, Souness etc were okay. I missed their article about the elbow to Tierney's face in the game against us. No sympathy for them at all. Scummy club and scummy supporters.

Post #412398  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bored wrote:

Good call

Also if Arsenal are involved that’s 3 American owners trying to drive it. It’s our national sport, there needs to be intervention.

There was a guest on Arseblog or Daily Cannon (the only 2 I listen to beside Tuesday Club) who talked about the remodel they put forward was the first steps towards the European super league. It may have been Philippe Auclair but I am not sure. It might appeal to younger people but I have limited interest in such a proposal and if anyone thinks I would pay to watch my team in such a league - think again. I barely bother watching any CL or Europa League games and more likely to watch 3 minutes highlights.

Post #412399  Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:05 am 

Goonie wrote:
DHD wrote:
Seems that as expected and trailed, Özil and Sokratis have indeed been omitted from our Premier League squad submitted today.

Can they play in U23 matches?

:7laughter:

Post #412400  Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:29 am 

Man U have 36 penalties since Ole took over. In that same time we've been given 9.

I get that Man U have fast players who dribble in to the box more but when I watch their games and our games there is never a debatable penalty that isn't given for them, they get everything. We never get a debatable one and have plenty of really good shouts not even looked at by VAR.

Just this season Saka was clearly bundled over in the box v Leicester in the cup, Milner must have handballed it about 3 times in the league cup match v Liverpool and a City player nearly took Gabriel's head off in the last game

Someone has done the stats of touches in the box per penalty given, which gives a fairer reflection as those teams who get in the box more will get more penalties.

Man U lead with 68 touches in the box per penalty. Arsenal are last with 849 touches in the box per penalty

[ 466820 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10307, 10308, 10309, 10310, 10311, 10312, 10313 ... 11671  Next