Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 82 guests

Post #335561  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:40 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
We’re playing Manchester City; van Dijk plays for Liverpool.

Well, no-one's perfect. A couple of weeks ago, I remember a forumite posting that Willock is a 'fox in the box', which was even more baffling. Hang on, that was AG as well.

I wasn’t sure about bubblechris. But I’m pretty sure you are already blocked.

Post #335562  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:38 pm 

Seems we got even an better deal with Gabriel that was known prior. Our payments are spread over a few years. Edu is doing a bang up job. I wonder if he grew into the role or he was hired because he had shown some skill for the job?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/14/edus-done-it-again-sensational-some-arsenal-fans-buzzing-after-transfer-details-emerge/

Post #335563  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:49 pm 

I don't believe this reason for a second. It's a very convenient reason but I suspect its the reason Anelka, and similar other players weren't welcomed back. If you push to leave when you are needed, you can't come back. This time, I didn't want him back. (Anelka I did). A lot of cheek van Persie has to ask for a return.
You helped our hated rivals win a title after you spent your years here injured and we stood by you. F off.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/14/arsenal-news-arsene-wenger-robin-van-persie-man-utd-13419650/?ito=newsnow-feed

‘My relationship with Alex Ferguson and Manchester United had improved by then, but every transfer is a polite game of poker where you attempt to give not anything away. ‘Van Persie had a fantastic first six months at Old Trafford: he put the team on track for the Premiership title and made it even more difficult for us. But after three years of the four that he signed for, he was injured and Ferguson (sic) sold him to the Turkish club Fenerbahce. ‘He called me because he wanted to come back, but it was impossible: he was at the end of his career and we were investing in young players.’

Post #335564  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:59 pm 

Ainsley starting and Saka on the bench for England tonight.

Post #335565  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

AMN subbed off after 30 mins - sacrificed because Harry Maguire got himself sent off, buffoon!

Post #335566  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

AMN subbed off after 30 mins - sacrificed because Harry Maguire got himself sent off, buffoon!

Maguire must be the worst 80 million quid ever spent.

Post #335567  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Most expensive defender in the world. Mad. English + Leicester player = absurd transfer fee.

Man U have spent some crazy money on ordinary players in recent years.

Post #335568  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:43 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

I said so at the time, but I wouldn't have signed him for 25m. Leicester was the absolute peak of what he was capable of, but he gets all these extra points for being English and thus being perceived as having "the right mentality" or something dumb like that. Just a terribly mediocre defender, and it didn't weaken Leicester one bit to lose him.

Post #335569  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 am 

The England team were the more attacking side and after the sending off in one of the first few Danish attacks they give up a penalty.
England didn't seem to have anyone who could score after the final pass. Weak shots, etc.

Post #335570  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Well, no-one's perfect. A couple of weeks ago, I remember a forumite posting that Willock is a 'fox in the box', which was even more baffling. Hang on, that was AG as well.

I wasn’t sure about bubblechris. But I’m pretty sure you are already blocked.

Yes, I think I am blocked, Bernard, but I'm not 100 per cent sure. It'd be helpful if AG provided us with the complete list of his blockees.

Post #335571  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:17 am 

I didn’t watch a single second of the England vs Denmark match. How did AMN play before he was taken off?

Look, I rate AMN and am glad he stayed, but if he’s now a full England international it just shows how much easier it is to win England caps these days. George Armstrong and Peter Simpson didn’t win a single cap between them. And now AMN has, I find it amazing.

Rob Holding is now 25 and as far as I’m aware, still hasn’t won a cap. Considering England’s alleged problems in central defence, if I’m right and he hasn’t does that raise the question ‘how bad must Holding be not to have won an England cap’?

Post #335572  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
I didn’t watch a single second of the England vs Denmark match. How did AMN play before he was taken off?

Look, I rate AMN and am glad he stayed, but if he’s now a full England international it just shows how much easier it is to win England caps these days. George Armstrong and Peter Simpson didn’t win a single cap between them. And now AMN has, I find it amazing.

Rob Holding is now 25 and as far as I’m aware, still hasn’t won a cap. Considering England’s alleged problems in central defence, if I’m right and he hasn’t does that raise the question ‘how bad must Holding be not to have won an England cap’?

Chambers and Jenkinson also have England caps. It's a funny old world.

Post #335573  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Chambers and Jenkinson also have England caps. It's a funny old world.

Good point. I’d forgotten them.

Post #335574  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:33 am 

Bernard wrote:

Much tougher back then. Fewer games and no substitutes.

Now caps get given out for just a tiny bit of contribution.

Post #335575  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:13 pm 

Interesting that after Maguire's latest terrible display to gauge the general reaction in the media vs someone like Luiz when he has a bad game. After getting through the basics of Maguire didn't play well, was clumsy etc there has been general sympathy from the media calls for him to be given a break, taken out of the limelight, there's still a top player in there, feel sorry for him. I get that some of that is down to the incident in Greece - but that is his own fault he was caught up in that. Yet someone like Luiz (and there are plenty other non Arsenal player - Pogba for example) tend to get it with both barrels whenever they play badly or make a mistake, there is no mitigation or feeling sorry for them - but good old english slabhead CB Maguire is treated differently.
The media will have their heroes and villians and no matter what happens the narrative is already written. How many articles or even comment was made about Luiz at the back end of last season, having fantastic games in the cup run and being a true leader and mentor for so many young Arsenal players? Most tended to focus on that 1st game back v City and that his contract was extended by another year. I'd wager Maguire has been directly at fault for more goals than Luiz since he signed for Man U.......and he cost £79m more!

Post #335576  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:42 pm 

The future appears to be a Saliba/Gabriel partnership. Until both are fully ready, Luiz is needed. If I could only keep one defender of the ones we currently have on the books it would be Luiz for a myriad of reasons.

Arsenal fans are tough on him and others. I certainly have been very tough on one of our defenders in particular. :icon_mrgreen:

Luiz was always a stop gap till we could get the defense Arteta wants.

Post #335577  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:58 am 

Hi Kiwipete, have not heard from you for a while now. Hope everything is well with you.

Post #335578  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 am 

To borrow one of your Brit terms. Arteta must be 'taking the piss' lol
The 17 foreign players rule thing I was not aware of so it makes sense to some extent but clearly Özil is good enough to be one of the 17. Sokratis is off it which is reasonable. I wouldn't be shocked to see him off in January (or is that window still in effect?) if we get a chance to off load him. At this point, I'm resigned to have Mustafi for a while. I was also surprised of reports that Saliba wasn't as developed as a defender as we have previously thought.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-22854605

Arsenal have 19 foreign players - two more than selection guidelines will allow.

With time running out on his deal and little chance of playing, it would appear Özil's career at the Emirates is over.

But Arteta has thrown the 32-year-old a lifeline, telling him to keep working hard in case an opening appears.

Post #335579  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:23 am 

Looking at our probable starting XI, its pretty good and this is without Tierney. I'd take a draw right now. On a side note, Everton and Villa have not had a loss yet. I live on the edge until they both have one. :icon_mrgreen:

Manchester City possible starting lineup:
Ederson; Walker, Dias, Laporte, Mendy; Foden, Rodri, Gundogan; Bernardo, Mahrez, Sterling

Arsenal possible starting lineup:
Leno; Bellerin, Luiz, Gabriel, Tierney; Ceballos, Thomas, Saka; Willian, Lacazette, Aubameyang

Post #335580  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:24 am 

Odds on TG returning and telling us he was on lockdown and abiding by the governments demand's 2 - 1

Odds on him saying he's been to the moon to watch our next signing 99-1

Fake news :8angers:

Post #335581  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:33 am 

I'm not sure what our best 11 or best formation is at the moment. Arteta's 3 at the back seems to be by necessity rather than choice. He's already spoken that the signing of Partey allows us to play alternative formations.
Leno, Gabriel, Bellerin, Tierney, Partey, Aubameyang would be the only certainties for best 11 whatever the formation in my opinion.

Post #335582  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:54 am 

With everyone healthy and available, and Pépé being is so expensive, its possible he "has to" start....lol.

I think eventually Martinelli will force himself into being a starter.

Post #335583  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
With everyone healthy and available, and Pépé being is so expensive, its possible he "has to" start....lol.

He has started all four league games on the bench so far, so it doesn't seem like his price tag is forcing Arteta to do anything.

Post #335584  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:09 pm 

If the signing of Partey allows Arteta to feel confident enough to field a back 4, and a back 4 containing Luiz, then it opens up so many options for us. Getting that extra body in midfield is crucial. I said before that a lot of our forwards tend to be players who get on the end of things rather than natural creators. I could see games where we play a back 4 and a midfield trio in a number of different combinations to suit the opposition. With only 2 CM you are pretty restricted in what the balance has to be. Playing 3 opens up the possibility of Willian or Saka as a 10. Or Xhaka sitting and and two of Partey/Ceballos/Saka as roaming 8's.

Looking forward to seeing Partey play, I hope he starts this weekend.

Post #335585  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:26 pm 

I think its wise to not expect Partey to be effective from the start. It's a new league, country, culture, club. He will need time. The pace is much faster, the game is more physical. Because of his physical attributes, he will probably adjust faster than most but he still should be given time.

Post #335586  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
If the signing of Partey allows Arteta to feel confident enough to field a back 4, and a back 4 containing Luiz, then it opens up so many options for us. Getting that extra body in midfield is crucial. I said before that a lot of our forwards tend to be players who get on the end of things rather than natural creators. I could see games where we play a back 4 and a midfield trio in a number of different combinations to suit the opposition. With only 2 CM you are pretty restricted in what the balance has to be. Playing 3 opens up the possibility of Willian or Saka as a 10. Or Xhaka sitting and and two of Partey/Ceballos/Saka as roaming 8's.

Looking forward to seeing Partey play, I hope he starts this weekend.

Options?

https://www.skysports.com/share/12100167

Post #335587  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:21 am 

I would like to see Saliba feature soon

Post #335588  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:26 am 

gooner7 wrote:

I would to, but at the moment he will not be in the European team and he may be excluded from the epl team. Arteta is supposed to be good at managing players like Sterling so I can’t see what the problem will be. He needs to be properly managed and playing regularly (even if only cups) by the end of the year.

Post #335589  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:17 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I would to, but at the moment he will not be in the European team and he may be excluded from the epl team. Arteta is supposed to be good at managing players like Sterling so I can’t see what the problem will be. He needs to be properly managed and playing regularly (even if only cups) by the end of the year.

The most negative possibility is that after watching him in training, Arteta has decided he isn’t as good as was thought when we bought him.

Post #335590  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:39 am 

Unless you're Henry or Sol. :icon_mrgreen:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... r-22855123
Ex-Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger explains why he made an example out of Cesc Fabregas

Post #335591  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:42 am 

:icon_mrgreen:

Attachments:

Post #335592  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:46 am 

Hoping for the best for Everton today, even though I've never liked the club for personal reasons. Always had a soft spot for Liverpool and perhaps would have been my club if things were different. That said, I like the present incarnation of Everton. So far, Ancelotti has done a bang up job. How long this current run will last is anyone's guess but he's definitely helped his own reputation.

Post #335593  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 am 

Is anyone else more than a little worried we are building a reputation of a club to avoid in transfers? (St. Etienne , Atletico)

Post #335594  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:25 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

He will definitely be in the PL squad as he's under 21.

Post #335595  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:32 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So true - especially if Mike says so...

Post #335596  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:43 am 

We have a negative win-loss record against Man Utd. Was there ever a time in anyone's time as a fan we dominated them?

Post #335597  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:00 am 

Before this season, for a few years, I dreaded going to Manchester, for either side. Now, I'm intrigued on what may happened. I'm nervous and dreading the worst (a huge loss) but for the first time in a while, I am..dare I say it..a bit excited about this match.

Post #335598  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:34 am 

De Bruyne is definitely out of the game.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54571524

Post #335599  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:35 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
So true - especially if Mike says so...

When Mike Tyson was asked by a reporter whether he was worried about Evander Holyfield and his fight plan he answered; “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

Wise man, Mike.

Post #335600  Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:38 am 

I was always a nerd, but my older brothers were pretty tough street guys. I asked one of my older brothers about some of his bar fights, which he had a reputation for someone you wanted to avoid, said "It's not how well him or me can hit, its how well either of us can take a hit". Apparently he had a tough chin (and head).

[ 390318 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8387, 8388, 8389, 8390, 8391, 8392, 8393 ... 9758  Next