Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 277 guests

Post #503801  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:23 pm 

And just as Rich has said. https://www.skysports.com/share/11996065

Post #503802  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:49 pm 

Zed wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I'd love for Arsenal to be 'guten' free. :1laughter:

Maybe you mean 'gluten free'.

play on words Zed. Guten-german (Guten nacht). Its a veiled reference to our resident incarnation of Tony Adams, Mustafi.

Post #503803  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 pm 

I found this Covid 19 related information fascinating.

Post #503804  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:34 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
Maybe you mean 'gluten free'.

play on words Zed. Guten-german (Guten nacht). Its a veiled reference to our resident incarnation of Tony Adams, Mustafi.

What’s it like to be an obsessive?

Post #503805  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:24 pm 

Zed wrote:
The 20/21 away shirt....

I presume that's just a joke.

Post #503806  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Zed wrote:
The 20/21 away shirt....

The home kit doesn't look much better... hope these leaks are not true. Surely Adidas can do better.

Goonie I can't imagine this away one being considered. Yet wouldn't be surprised either.

Post #503807  Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 pm 

Zed wrote:
Zed wrote:
The 20/21 away shirt....
Goonie I can't imagine this away one being considered. Yet wouldn't be surprised either.

It almost looks like it has blood stains on it. As though the wearer has slashed someone with a knife and the victim’s blood has sprayed on him or her.

Post #503808  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:25 am 

While I'm happy to hear that league play will resume, I'm not as excited as I thought I would. I haven't missed football as much as I thought. Maybe if it was a different reason the matches were suspended.

I am curious to see the form of clubs. Will Liverpool be almost all conquering? I'm very interested to see how Arteta's strategy is going and if any progress has been made with the squad playing as he wants them to.

Post #503809  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:32 am 

I remember this painfully. We went from having a great defensive midfield (Gilberto, Flamini, Diarra) that could challenge from honors to be bare in the matter of a few months. One of the worst mismanagement of the side we have had in my time as a supporter.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... SM_xTNXhog

Post #503810  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:18 am 

Really hoping we get Willian. Would hate to see him go to the scum. Just a guess on my part but I think he would probably prefer us but may not because of money. Mourinho may be a factor as well.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/transfer-n ... 08104.html

Post #503811  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:12 am 

Would anyone take Coutinho for £8m for a season long loan?

These sorts of expensive loans with no option to buy appear on the face of it a bit of a waste of money, especially when you factor in picking up the players wages. But, if you are short on money but need a short term boost they can be useful.

Post #503812  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:23 am 

Do we really need that position filled. He'll be better than anyone we've got (I don't want to hear from Özil fans about this) but we are sorted there. If it were possible, I'd pay that and more for a season long loan of van Dijk for 10 million.

I don't feel we can start any kind of resurgence without a solid back 5.

Post #503813  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:06 am 

Zed wrote:
The 20/21 away shirt....

Makes you wonder how much longer airlines will be able to pay multi-millions in sponsorship money into football when their fleets are effectively grounded for the foreseeable future with little prospect of recovery in the next 3 years. I know Emirates are backed by their government, but there has to be a limit.

Post #503814  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am 

Rich wrote:

These sorts of expensive loans with no option to buy appear on the face of it a bit of a waste of money, especially when you factor in picking up the players wages. But, if you are short on money but need a short term boost they can be useful.

I wouldn’t. Since leaving Liverpool where he was outstanding, he’s gone dramatically downhill. Turned out to be a disastrous waste of money for Barcelona.His form this season on loan at Bayern has been a major disappointment. Bayern did have an option to buy him on a permanent deal but they’ve understandably already announced they’re not taking it up.

Heard him described as a busted flush at Bayern. We’re probably already stuck with Özil for next season if nobody else will match his wages at Arsenal. I don’t see the point of lumbering ourselves with an Özil Mark II in addition to the original. There’s probably as much chance of Özil returning to his best as there is of Coutinho producing his Liverpool form with us.

Post #503815  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:45 am 

Arse v Sheff Utd Cup QF is to be played over the weekend 27/28 June.

Sorry but I really can't see the point.

Post #503816  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:19 pm 

Just sell up Kroenke.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... s-18329288

Post #503817  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:30 pm 

Zed wrote:
The 20/21 away shirt....

I've heard football is war but.....

Post #503818  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:34 pm 

Zed wrote:

I'd 'loove it...just loove it' if we got rid of him but who would buy us? I'm not saying there wouldn't be people who have the means to buy us and would but, okay, if he is willing to sell, who? And it better be someone who is is an effen fan of the sport and doesn't think a wing back is the chicken special at the Wing Shop in LA.

Post #503819  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:40 pm 

DHD wrote:
Arse v Sheff Utd Cup QF is to be played over the weekend 27/28 June.

Sorry but I really can't see the point.

I like the FA cup because of how many times we have won it. In my whole time as a supporter we have never won the league cup. When was the last time we won that thing?

Post #503820  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:58 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I like the FA cup because of how many times we have won it. In my whole time as a supporter we have never won the league cup. When was the last time we won that thing?

1993. Beat Sheffield Wednesday in the final.

Post #503821  Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I wouldn’t. Since leaving Liverpool where he was outstanding, he’s gone dramatically downhill. Turned out to be a disastrous waste of money for Barcelona.His form this season on loan at Bayern has been a major disappointment. Bayern did have an option to buy him on a permanent deal but they’ve understandably already announced they’re not taking it up.

Heard him described as a busted flush at Bayern. We’re probably already stuck with Özil for next season if nobody else will match his wages at Arsenal. I don’t see the point of lumbering ourselves with an Özil Mark II in addition to the original. There’s probably as much chance of Özil returning to his best as there is of Coutinho producing his Liverpool form with us.

I agree with you, Bernard. A disastrous transfer for Barcelona. They over-rated him to an absurd degree. He's a player who scores spectacular goals but is hugely inconsistent. And Özil at his best is much better than Coutinho was at Liverpool.....not that we will ever see it again

Post #503822  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Bittersweet for Steve Morrow. He didn’t deserve that.

Post #503823  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:39 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

As you’ll know, we also beat Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup final that season. Andy Linighan’s moment of fame, albeit without the injury that Morrow incurred.

Post #503824  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:38 am 

An American history professor told us that the reason why Europeans/Americans were able to pacify the land east of the Mississippi easier than the west of the Mississippi was based on two things. 1. Superior weapons and 2. the horse. (a tertiary advantage was disease like small pox).

The tribes east of the river didn't have many horses. The Spanish, Cortez and others who invaded present day Mexico came on horseback in the 1500s and horses escaped and bred and migrated into western America. The wild ones were known as mustangs. The Indians at the time were on foot. They mastered horses, Comanches being the best at it. The early English and Dutch settlers in America met tribes who had no horses. Its difficult in that 100 year span to horses to make past that great Mississippi river. There were no land bridges.

This book is fascinating and its a great read. Lots of John Wayne movies involved the Comanche and other tribes. They were not easy to pacify. They were warriors in every sense of the word.

Found the author discussing it on a podcast randomly.

Post #503825  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:36 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

:42laughter:

Post #503826  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:43 am 

It's complicated. This happened in Ferguson, Missouri and Baltimore as well as the 'Occupy Wallstreet' movement post recession in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cOgPt3kRUQ&t=1s

Attachments:

Post #503827  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:56 pm 

Father of Aston Villa manager Dean Smith dies after contracting coronavirus

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/28/foot ... index.html

Post #503828  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:51 pm 

I have long resisted blocking anybody as it kind of renders the whole thing pointless. But finally I've had enough and blocked you know who as he/she has been seriously spoiling my enjoyment of the forum. That video on not being ignored was just too weird for me.

Post #503829  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:43 pm 

dec wrote:
Zed wrote:
The 20/21 away shirt....

I presume that's just a joke.

Adidas seems to like that ripple affect.

Post #503830  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:00 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
I have long resisted blocking anybody as it kind of renders the whole thing pointless. But finally I've had enough and blocked you know who as he/she has been seriously spoiling my enjoyment of the forum. That video on not being ignored was just too weird for me.

I haven’t watched the video but, and if not watching it has sent my thoughts off in completely the wrong direction I apologise, the desire to not be ignored does strike me as likely to be very important to him.

Post #503831  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

It almost looks like it has blood stains on it. As though the wearer has slashed someone with a knife and the victim’s blood has sprayed on him or her.

It’s been a while, Bernard, so tell us about someone who was hanged for a similar crime?

Post #503832  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I haven’t watched the video but, and if not watching it has sent my thoughts off in completely the wrong direction I apologise, the desire to not be ignored does strike me as likely to be very important to him.

He’s only here to stoke (or should it be stroke) his own ego. But he’s useful for at least being an example of an American (we kind of interact with) that goes a long way to illustrate what a messed up country it is in so many ways.

Post #503833  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:12 pm 

It’s a big no no on Coutinho for me too.

Post #503834  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:16 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

I hadn’t thought of AG as possibly being female; all the women I’ve known bar one have been pretty self-aware; which is one thing AG can’t be accused of.

Post #503835  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:22 pm 

:angel8:
john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It’s been a while, Bernard, so tell us about someone who was hanged for a similar crime?

Hi john1. Suppose the most famous knife killer is Jack the Ripper, even though ironically nobody knows who it was despite the countless theories, many of which were so flimsy they were presumably developed to get books published or television documentaries aired. But in recent years Joanne Dennehy killed her victims through knifing them, as well as viciously stabbing another two men multiple times before leaving them for dead. Somehow these last two survived.

Joanne is a very interesting lady. One of only three females in the UK to be given a whole life tariff with her prison sentence (the others being Myra Hindley and Rosemary West). But while Myra and Rose were sort of equal with male partners Ian Brady and Fred West (some consider Fred started off as the main player but Rose took over), Joanne was very much the dominant force in her crimes even though she used a very big chap called Gary Stretch (over seven feet tall) to help her dispose of the bodies and drive her around.

Joanne is serving her sentence at Bronzefield Prison. Mainly in solitary confinement as it’s recognised if she was allowed personal contact with anyone she would use the opportunity to kill them. The authorities can’t take that risk as she loves killing people. When she and Rose West met in the same prison, Joanne threatened her and they had to move Rose for her own safety. She also developed an escape plan that involved cutting off the fingers of prison guards so she could open doors operated by touch screen fingerprints.

Another interesting thing about Dennehy is that she came from a middle class family in Hertfordshire, was well educated although she went off the rails in her teens with drug and alcohol abuse, and she was never the victim of any sexual or any other kind of abuse. So Joanne doesn’t meet the profile of many serial killers. Yet she was violent to her main (she had countless bits on the side) boyfriend who was the father of her two children. She also loved violent pornography and her boyfriend eventually left her with the children as she was so dangerous.

Post #503836  Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:27 pm 

Yesterday marked 1 yr ago of the EL Final in Baku. Some on here went to it. 4-1 loss aside, was it worth it?

Post #503837  Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:04 am 

Zed wrote:
Yesterday marked 1 yr ago of the EL Final in Baku. Some on here went to it. 4-1 loss aside, was it worth it?

No it wasn’t worth it. Not by a long way. The whole trip cost £1,143 and some pence that I wouldn’t have spent had I not gone. Total waste of money. It would have been worth it had we gone. But we didn’t just lose, we were humiliated in the second half.

Some people seemed upset by the way Koscielny left, with the shirts incident. After his performance in that final, I’m delighted he went. He was a fine player alongside Mertesacker and together they produced a good partnership. But that final showed Koscielny’s time was up. He made Giroud look like Ronaldo at his peak.

Post #503838  Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:28 am 

The further monetizing of football. Large parts of this we already know but there is some interesting new insights and possibilities of how football is going to be marketed and viewed.

Post #503839  Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:30 am 

I'd be willing to pay the price of subscription to Netflix for all the football I wanted to see.

Post #503840  Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

No it wasn’t worth it. Not by a long way. The whole trip cost £1,143 and some pence that I wouldn’t have spent had I not gone. Total waste of money. It would have been worth it had we gone. But we didn’t just lose, we were humiliated in the second half.

I meant it would had been worth it had we won, not gone. I did go, unfortunately. Bloody spell checker.

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12593, 12594, 12595, 12596, 12597, 12598, 12599 ... 14084  Next