Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 264 guests

Post #499841  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:32 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
good question, I was going to ask the same thing

The game hinged around his awful performance .

Not really. Nothing that he did had an obvious impact on the scoreline.

1-1 was about right based on what football was played.

Post #499842  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
I hate games like that. The ref doesn’t stop us winning, But the sheer inconsistency is staggering.
AMN booked for first foul. Pépé booked for goodness knows what. Lacazette booked for a totting up process on his 3rd foul yet Ayew escaped a booking all game despite 7 fouls! No yellow for Zaha for a blatant dive in the box. The ref was so heavily influenced by the home crowd today.

It is so frustrating to see what little we have to do to get a yellow card and can yet be kicked from pillar to post, usually away from home, with nothing.

The Aubameyang red is annoying, I’ll happily accept it as a red if every other dangerous tackle is also a red, we’ve seen Pépé scissor tackled from behind on more than 1 occasion this season.

Var really doesn’t like us when we play palace. I think there have been 4 reviews in our two games against them with every review going palaces way

Now that I do agree with.

Post #499843  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:36 pm 

Urgh, how lucky and *%^@ were Palace?? Torreria off, deflected goal, Aubameyang Red on VAR, how many fouls did Ayew make in the end?

Good news is I guess the team didn’t capitulate and could have won it on that Pépé chance but that was a horrible *%^@ game, but you have to win those too, there are a few scrappy teams like that and we need to get to the stage where we can impose a bit more, if the laws of chance don’t turn on us all the flaming time..

So Aubameyang out for 3 games, Torreira maybe out for a few as well, we need to start catching some breaks.

Post #499844  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:38 pm 

Also another example of a player unable to win the ball and just pushes his marker in to the blokes team mate. You see it with players pushing defenders in to GK as they shield the ball back or pushing a player over advertising hoardings when it’s been shielded out. They are all yellow cards.
The lack of know-how and understanding of players and the game (not the rules) is awful from our current group of refs.

Post #499845  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:41 pm 

Apart from the ‘5 yards onside’ Aubameyang goal at old Trafford have we had a single VAR decision go our way this year? I know VAR is correcting more wrong decisions than we would have without it but it just seems like we’re not getting the rub of the green with it at all.

Post #499846  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:52 pm 

Pépé plays like he's trying to prove his fee than doing what is best for the squad to win.

Post #499847  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:53 pm 

Losing Aubameyang at Chelsea will be a tough pill to swallow. Start Martinelli.

Post #499848  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:55 pm 

Let's appeal the red card and see if we get a reduction some how.

Post #499849  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:04 pm 

I wonder what those Palace fans who made and put up those anti VAR posters are now thinking?

Post #499850  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:18 pm 

So so frustrating.
We really needed to capitalise on our dominant start because we weren't going to be able to keep up that dominance for the whole 90 and with Zaha in the team they were always going to have a few moments.
Really needed a 2nd when we were winning.
Felt we let them off the hook and allowed the c***** to turn it into a scrap.
Needed the 3 points to stay in touch with teams above us who have easy games today.
Really hope torreira is not badly injured as we need him.
Aubameyang was silly but so many times that's just a yellow.
Pépé shot. Why not go in!!!!!
Arrrggghhhhhh

Post #499851  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
The game hinged around his awful performance .

I can't believe you've taken part in team sports if that's what you think LTG.

Post #499852  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:38 pm 

With ten men there wasn't much chance we'd get more from the game than a draw and even risk losing it. Just gotta write this off, learn from it and move on and progress.

Post #499853  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:49 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Yeah if you’re getting hammered and then complain about 1 little thing that’s a bit embarrassing, but the tone of how a referee officiates has a huge impact when it’s closer than that, which is why before every international test in rugby and domestically also tbf, you have the same debate and the same attempt to influence the referee to call things in a way that suits you.

Maybe because in rugby there seems to be more of a lean towards the obvious differences between the styles of referees and the stronger view of the umpires rule is law. Which is why they try to change the umpire not the decision. Maybe.

Post #499854  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:04 pm 

Ash wrote:
Maybe because in rugby there seems to be more of a lean towards the obvious differences between the styles of referees and the stronger view of the umpires rule is law. Which is why they try to change the umpire not the decision. Maybe.

I watch a lot of rugby union and whilst the ref can still be frustrating they are far more consistent than football refs. You may not like the way they are continually punishing a collapsing scrum for one team but they explain why it is being punished and it’s up to the other team to stop doing it. In football you have refs who give a yellow then let the next guy off.....book a player for tallying up 3 fouls but ignore the guy on 7 fouls. It is totally arbitrary and they are pretty much all to a man completely oblivious to any kind of gamesmanship and small advantages footballers try to eek out in every single game. Ball goes out for a defensive throw right by the corner flag yet every single time that defender is allowed to take the throw 10 yards further up the pitch. Same with free kicks, just always trying to gain a tiny advantage it’s almost like a ‘haha I got that one last you ref’ even if there is really zero advantage in the context of the game.

Post #499855  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:07 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

He could have booked Ayew in the first half. He could have given us less yellows. So how does that affect the scoreline then?

Post #499856  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:20 pm 

I hope the football gods will bless Tottenham for 2 hours. Then go back to damning them.

Post #499857  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

He could have booked Ayew in the first half. He could have given us less yellows. So how does that affect the scoreline then?

Agree LTG. Nitpicking over referees decisions is pointless. I didn't notice any major errors, though I thought Ayew deserved a yellow and AMN didn't.

Post #499858  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:24 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Potentially by affecting the game itself, the mindset of players, but these are all ifs and buts now.

Anyway, I’m sorry for this but...

come on Tottenham!

Whenever I want them to win they lose anyway, even my treachery backfires. They just bring me no joy.

Post #499859  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:45 pm 

Two main wishes for the rest of the season (among a few), Liverpool lose and we beat Tottenham and get a 'two fer' with Mourinho in charge.

Post #499860  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:01 pm 

Liverpool should have been 1 up with a free header but other than that Tottenham looking good. Give mourinho time to prepare for one match and he's tough to beat.

Post #499861  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:08 pm 

Mother, father, cocker spaniel. C'mon scum.

Post #499862  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:22 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Agree LTG. Nitpicking over referees decisions is pointless. I didn't notice any major errors, though I thought Ayew deserved a yellow and AMN didn't.

I agree that the odd yellow or foul or not don’t affect the score, but a constant stream of yellows for one team whilst letting the other team off mean that the team getting the yellows have to be half a yard slower to every press or every tackle.
Someone like Ayew was obviously pressing and harassing the defence, he made 7 fouls and must have stopped us building as we wanted from the back, of he goes in the book every arsenal defender has an extra second on the ball (for example). It is tiny details but they do influence the way a game can develop especially for a team who is intent on getting in your face

Post #499863  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:24 pm 

The AG good luck charm can only do so much.
:42laughter:

Post #499864  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:37 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Don’t know if it’s still the case, but I thought bans could previously be increased by frivolous appeals. Appealing against Aubameyang’s sending off would be totally frivolous so if that rule is still in place, appealing would be far more likely to get him an extra game ban than a game less. It was a sending off all day long.

Post #499865  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Don’t know if it’s still the case, but I thought bans could previously be increased by frivolous appeals. Appealing against Aubameyang’s sending off would be totally frivolous so if that rule is still in place, appealing would be far more likely to get him an extra game ban than a game less. It was a sending off all day long.

Hi B,
What was amazing is all the fouls the ref let Ayew get by with.

Post #499866  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:52 pm 

Zed wrote:
Hi B,

Hi, can’t say I noticed them at the game. We’re any really naughty or was it just the sheer number of them?

Post #499867  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Well spurs appealed Son kicking his studs in to the chest of Rudiger and didn’t get an extra game fan for frivolous appeal. That was as clear as you want for violent conduct

Post #499868  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
Hi B,

Hi, can’t say I noticed them at the game. We’re any really naughty or was it just the sheer number of them?

The frustrating thing was he made a point of booking Lacazette for tallying up of fouls, none of which were yellows on their own, so he showed he was aware of accumulated fouls by players needing a yellow.

I think Opta tweeted Ayew is the first player to commit 7 fouls in a game and not be booked

Post #499869  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Well spurs appealed Son kicking his studs in to the chest of Rudiger and didn’t get an extra game fan for frivolous appeal. That was as clear as you want for violent conduct

No way was Son’s appeal as frivolous as Aubameyang’s would be. Sorry, not even remotely comparable.

Post #499870  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:20 pm 

Aubameyang misses sheff Utd at home, Chelsea away and Bournemouth away in the cup. He’d have likely been rested for the cup game.

Martinelli and Nelson can fill in on the left. Noticed when Martinelli came on today he went on the right and Pépé to the left.

When you see who has scored our away goals this season it’s clear what we’ll miss against chelsea.

Arteta has made us a lot more difficult to score against, we’re giving up fewer goals, fewer chances and fewer shots. Now we need to get going in the other direction. Having zero goal threat from any of our midfield is not great

Post #499871  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

No way was Son’s appeal as frivolous as Aubameyang’s would be. Sorry, not even remotely comparable.

Aubameyang’s tackle is much more likely to injure a player than Son’s kick out but in terms of the rules of the game I think Son’s is a more obvious red because there is very little leeway in kicking out at an opponent off the ball. Aubameyang type tackles are let off red cards far more often that Son’s kick to the chest in my view

Post #499872  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 pm 

Rich wrote:
Aubameyang’s tackle is much more likely to injure a player than Son’s kick out but in terms of the rules of the game I think Son’s is a more obvious red because there is very little leeway in kicking out at an opponent off the ball. Aubameyang type tackles are let off red cards far more often that Son’s kick to the chest in my view

Then sorry but I’m afraid I think your views on this particular issue are barmy. Son was rightfully sent off. But perhaps the appeal was based on a claim that Son’s kick had something to do with the way he fell. Laughable in itself, but in my opinion less frivolous than saying Aubameyang shouldn’t have been sent off. I think it’s far more likely that some players might get away with a Son type kick than an Aubameyang type foul.

Post #499873  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Then sorry but I’m afraid I think your views on this particular issue are barmy. Son was rightfully sent off. But perhaps the appeal was based on a claim that Son’s kick had something to do with the way he fell. Laughable in itself, but in my opinion less frivolous than saying Aubameyang shouldn’t have been sent off. I think it’s far more likely that some players might get away with a Son type kick than an Aubameyang type foul.

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree because I’ve seen so many of the Aubameyang type foul not given reds over the years. Son’s kick outs are more rare and often if not spotted in a match are upgraded with video.

Post #499874  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:32 pm 

What is the view on the Robertson challenge doing the rounds on social media? He over runs the ball, lunges in, to pokes the ball away a split second before the spurs player gets there and his follow through is with his studs on the shin of the planted leg of the spurs player.
I’ve seen neutral fans say it’s a red card and I’ve seen others say it’s not even a foul.

Didn’t Torriera get a straight red v spurs for something similar? Winning the ball but a careless and reckless follow through got him the red?

Post #499875  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
What is the view on the Robertson challenge doing the rounds on social media? He over runs the ball, lunges in, to pokes the ball away a split second before the spurs player gets there and his follow through is with his studs on the shin of the planted leg of the spurs player.
I’ve seen neutral fans say it’s a red card and I’ve seen others say it’s not even a foul.

Didn’t Torriera get a straight red v spurs for something similar? Winning the ball but a careless and reckless follow through got him the red?

‘Going over the ball’ type challenges have been specifically mentioned as a type of challenge along with tackling from behind and the ‘scissor tackle’ that referees were specifically trying to clamp down on quite a while ago if I remember correctly. So that fact that you get the ball should be irrelevant, how you make the contact should be seen in isolation. Out of control, in the air, reckless etc.

If he was lunging and out of control, sounds like a red to me if he was studs on the shin of the spurs player

Post #499876  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:43 pm 

If Liverpool go unbeaten in the league, I want them to win the treble so Man Utd feels the pain as well. (assuming of course someone else knocks us out)

Post #499877  Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Quite right Bernard .... Son's was a brush of the abs and Rudhiger made a meal of it .

Aubameyang 's could have been an ankle breaker ...far worse .

Rich has to take that line because it fuels his belief that it doesn't matter which referee ; they all ,

every last one of them .....run on that field with a pre concieved plan to punish Arsenal far more than the opposition .

Post #499878  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:48 am 

And Pool marches on .......... looks like we need to do the business ourselves. Let Arteta build the team right up to the pool match, and beat them.

Post #499879  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:05 am 

Pépé has had 2 very good shots coming off the bar. Perhaps he is trying too hard to get that spectacular goal, or he is too close to the edge of the penalty area when he took those shots. I believe he will score a lot more goals, if he is allowed to run more into the penalty area when we attack from the left (if he is playing right, and vice-versa). That means whoever is his partner full-back needs to be closer to pick up players in case we lose the ball. And then of course, our defensive midfielders needs to be correctly positioned too. I hope Arteta has a similar observation. I feel Pépé can score a lot more goals if he runs more into the penalty area, and try some simpler shots. His sole open-play goal for us, attests to this.

Post #499880  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:04 am 

I am afraid I am not as positive as many on here about the Arteta reign. That is not to say I don't have hope that things will improve significantly.

I watched the game in full so this is what I thought.

1-25 minutes - great domination but with very little real opening up of chances other than the goal. It was reminiscent of the Wenger era. Lots of possession but no result. As an aside I watched highlights of Chelsea and a couple of other games. They get players to the by-line and actually put in worthwhile crosses and hence chances. It was obvious for the whole game that Arteta did not want both fullbacks bombing forward and wanted Torreira and Xhaka to not venture very far forward.

25-45 minutes - we were starting to relinquish control and being put under pressure. There was a lack of triangles and we weren't looking good. Players went missing or just passed sideways often to people in worse positions. It was getting harder to move forward. Emery team all over. We started cruising and believing we had the game. We never got control of the game back.

Torreira subbed off 45 minutes - 70 minutes - no improvement and for some to suggest Guendouzi was the problem - go and look at the previous 20 minutes. We sunk back to our old ways. Real chances - a few. Pépé appears to be a potential match winner but if you do absolutely nothing for 80 minutes of every game - he is a luxury we cannot afford.

After the sending off - we actually improved at times in getting a few breaks forward but we were under pressure.

I have seen nothing in Leeds or this game to suggest we have dramatically improved. 45 minutes and 25 minutes in this game is all we put in.

Arteta said if players did not put in the effort they would have to go. Well over to you, Mikel, because we slip back very quickly.

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12494, 12495, 12496, 12497, 12498, 12499, 12500 ... 14084  Next