Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 281 guests

Post #483521  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:24 pm 

Lets start again......

Kroenke OUT

Post #483522  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Stop searching France and Spain for talented playmakers .....do a scouting trip through the Cameroons , Senegal , the Ivory Coast and buy a couple of 6' 2" slabs of concrete so we can't get outmuscled by the Watford's ,Wolves , Brighton's and Sheffield Utd's of this world .

Then you’ll get people moaning about a lack of creativity.

I accept it was a disappointing result but I think it’s too soon to jump on the ‘sack the manager’ bandwagon, at least so early. I saw someone calling for Ljunberg to take over. Bloody hell, based on what? Liking him as a former player? A fondness of him for that reason is fair enough. But what else is there to support him taking over at a club the size of Arsenal so soon in his managerial career? For all we know, Ljungberg might have some coaching responsibility for our poorer performances.

Try thinking Patrick Vieira , Ya Ya Toure ..... Bernard ...... someone who can't be shoved off the ball anchors midfield , short passes bringing others into play .

Agree on Ljungberg his rave that got him the yellow showed me he can't see the forest for the trees either .

Maybe Wiltord or better still Mertesacker would be a better fit :laughing7:

Post #483523  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:42 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:

Kroenke OUT

:53big-emoticons:

If we really, really want to change Arsenal for the better it starts and stops with Kroenke out. But unfortunately that wont' happen. He has no incentive sell, right now.

Post #483524  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:02 pm 

Niall wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Well that was a real birthday treat for me. :36angers:

Happy birthday

Ditto ..... what present .... ?

Hold on let me guess I'm good at these .... hmmm ..... ahhh of course ... the wife got the 'Pancho Gozales' restrung . Nailed it

Post #483525  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:14 pm 

Niall wrote:

The shot from Ceballos was absolutely dire. Put your foot through it.
Dean was right on the Saka call though, he initiated the contact.

I agree Niall ... just the mention Mike Dean has people looking for fault .

Saka knew the defender was coming and couldn't wait to fall over .
We were beaten , we contributed to our own downfall so suck it up and stop looking for a shirt pull or flaky penalty to try and get something from the game .

I 've noticed the play acting creeping into other codes .

Aussie Rugby league players trying to milk penalties toppling over in the play the ball .

An Irish lock slightest of touchs falls over extravagantly , arms outstretched appealing for a penalty kick v the All Blacks the other day .

Bloody nancy ...wouldn't have happened in Willie John's day .

Post #483526  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 am 

dec wrote:
The sooner Emery goes the better. He has an amazing ability to make all of our opponents look good.

I am beginning to join this side of the argument. The team is bereft of attacking ideas.

Post #483527  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 am 

john1 wrote:
This team is far better than this manager.

Agree 100%

Post #483528  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:39 am 

kiwipete wrote:
God that was painful Wenger Mark 2 ..... the timidity in our play .

The really depressing thing is we don't seem to learn anything from these repeated soft cock performances .... 68 % possession to what effect

So brainwashed are we with this f**&&^ playing out from the back that 1-0 down two minutes into injury time and we are still exchanging multi passes around near our penalty area . :8angers:

Stop searching France and Spain for talented playmakers .....do a scouting trip through the Cameroons , Senegal , the Ivory Coast and buy a couple of 6' 2" slabs of concrete so we can't get outmuscled by the Watford's ,Wolves , Brighton's and Sheffield Utd's of this world .

Sums it up very well
Agree about getting stronger & bigger players in midfield

Post #483529  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:53 am 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
From the replays I'm seeing at half time that pull on Sokratis is 100% a penalty.
We need our luck to change.

It is exactly what was punished at the last World Cup with video evidence and everybody roundly applauded it as they were fed up with the pulling and wrestling at corners. Why have we gone backwards?

Well the english FA decided they would use the technology in a different way than just about the rest of the world. So I suppose it maybe a backward thought process.

Post #483530  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:53 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No chance. Absolutely no chance.

He has a Spanish director of football and an accountant managing him. There’s no football guru who can see the mess unfolding.

Unless the fans properly turn on him (they won’t) he will be here till the end of the season and if he gets top 4 he will stay longer

Sanlehi was Director of Football at Barcelona. He's no fool and he's watched enough good football to recognise when it's going wrong. The club gave Emery huge backing in the transfer market this summer. They won't wait for us to be out of the top 4 race.

I agree. The fans are not going to wait like they did with Wenger. A few more crap, half assed results and the support will turn quickly. I'd be surprised if there is anyone still thinking that Emery is what Arsenal needs. Including the team.

Post #483531  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:37 am 

grantyboy wrote:
dec wrote:
Sanlehi was Director of Football at Barcelona. He's no fool and he's watched enough good football to recognise when it's going wrong. The club gave Emery huge backing in the transfer market this summer. They won't wait for us to be out of the top 4 race.

I agree. The fans are not going to wait like they did with Wenger. A few more crap, half assed results and the support will turn quickly. I'd be surprised if there is anyone still thinking that Emery is what Arsenal needs. Including the team.

As the game came towards a conclusion, the TV focused on Emery. He had that look of someone who knew that no matter how you looked at the game we had played poorly. I suspect he knows that the pressure is now building and very quickly.

Post #483532  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:35 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Well that was a real birthday treat for me. :36angers:

Speaking of birthdays, Arsene is 70 today ... :occasion15:

Post #483533  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:12 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

As the game came towards a conclusion, the TV focused on Emery. He had that look of someone who knew that no matter how you looked at the game we had played poorly. I suspect he knows that the pressure is now building and very quickly.

:laughing7: Don't come the body language expert on here Townsville Boy ... that is the Emery ...he always looks out from under his brow , like he is ready to burst into tears

... and I'd say this morning we all had the same look .

Post #483534  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:24 am 

warrior wrote:

Speaking of birthdays, Arsene is 70 today ... :occasion15:

God Almighty ... :1cry: some of these administrators lack tact ....... on top of such a piss poor performance

... Warrior springs up to remind us it's the bithday of the bloke who laid the foundations for these gay boy performances .

....... it's like Cambodians being asked to remember it's Pol Pot's birthday

Post #483535  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:25 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
It is exactly what was punished at the last World Cup with video evidence and everybody roundly applauded it as they were fed up with the pulling and wrestling at corners. Why have we gone backwards?

Well the english FA decided they would use the technology in a different way than just about the rest of the world. So I suppose it maybe a backward thought process.

We’ve been told var would clear up clear and obvious errors. One look at the video can see a very clear and very obvious shirt pull. People have put stills on the net comparing it to Luiz’s shirt pull on salah. It is identical.
The var refs are totally protecting their guy on the pitch and it is corrupt and making a farce of the game. There is no doubt in my mind that the var refs have been told they shouldn’t be over turning subjective calls which is why not a single penalty has been given by var.
Var has made refs worse, now they don’t make a decision with the excuse they have var to check and all var does is back up their non decision

Post #483536  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:28 am 

The squad is good. The manager is not getting anywhere near enough from it
Leno, Bellerin, Tierney, Holding, Luiz, torriera, Guendouzi, Özil, Pépé, Lacazette, Aubameyang
Martinez, amn, Chambers, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Xhaka, Willock, Ceballos, saka, Nelson, martinelli
That second 11 is virtually good enough to finish top 6. No excuse to not be 3rd with this squad

Post #483537  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:46 am 

When Klopp and pep cane in they imparted their style of play on the team immediately. There were some disastrous performances and results as the players got to know the system and those players not fit for the system or who didn’t have the quality were moved on. Gradually they were replaced by better players recruited to suit the system and results got better.
I don’t think anyone knows either what Emery’s style is or what style the team is doing. I can’t work our what our tactics are at all!

Post #483538  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:49 am 

There really is a player in there with Pépé. Some of the touches, feints, dribbles are there, you can see the natural talent and how dangerous he can be. That final part needs to click. Final ball, finishing and confidence. The one he missed has effectively cost us the game but he was our best attacking player yesterday.

Post #483539  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:56 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

We’ve been told var would clear up clear and obvious errors. One look at the video can see a very clear and very obvious shirt pull. People have put stills on the net comparing it to Luiz’s shirt pull on salah. It is identical.
The var refs are totally protecting their guy on the pitch and it is corrupt and making a farce of the game. There is no doubt in my mind that the var refs have been told they shouldn’t be over turning subjective calls which is why not a single penalty has been given by var.
Var has made refs worse, now they don’t make a decision with the excuse they have var to check and all var does is back up their non decision

You may recall last year I warned that VAR would create issues.

Post #483540  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:58 am 

The biggest question out of the debacle is - Could Emery guarantee that Özil would have been worse than the players on the pitch.

Post #483541  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:14 am 

Rich wrote:
When Klopp and pep cane in they imparted their style of play on the team immediately. There were some disastrous performances and results as the players got to know the system and those players not fit for the system or who didn’t have the quality were moved on. Gradually they were replaced by better players recruited to suit the system and results got better.
I don’t think anyone knows either what Emery’s style is or what style the team is doing. I can’t work our what our tactics are at all!

The playing out from the back thing doesn’t work. It just doesn’t, Your better off just getting Leno to put his foot through it.

The midfield is always selected without the right ingredients and you can see it’s a side with little confidence in how it’s set up.

I can’t see this getting any better even with the introduction of the full backs

Post #483542  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:24 am 

I see Evra was a pundit last night and basically just churned out the same crap he was saying 10 years ago, calling arsenal “his babies”. I find it amazing how we more than any club seem to be a target of such disrespect in the game. I see plenty of teams and players get called poor, or words to that effect but the way some players and ex players talk about us goes way beyond anything I hear about other teams.

After so many of our defeats I hear opponents brag about how they knew where our weaknesses were etc, I don’t hear this when other top teams lose.

It’s not being precious, often what they are saying is true but I’m surprised that professionals lower themselves to that sort of taunt.

When have you seen a team beat Man U and say “we knew we’d work harder than them, we knew they have poor communication and if they go behind their heads drop”? It doesn’t happen but we are such an easy target. It annoys me because we’ve let ourselves become this easy target

Post #483543  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

You may recall last year I warned that VAR would create issues.

And yet it was near faultless at the World Cup. Penalties were given and as fans you just looked and thought ‘well, yeah that’s a foul’ and the blame was put on idiotic defenders not on officials

Post #483544  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:29 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

The playing out from the back thing doesn’t work. It just doesn’t, Your better off just getting Leno to put his foot through it.

The midfield is always selected without the right ingredients and you can see it’s a side with little confidence in how it’s set up.

I can’t see this getting any better even with the introduction of the full backs

I detest the playing out from the back. Nearly every time either gk launched a long kick downfield his team picked up second balls on or around the half way line.
The opposite happens when we play out from the back

Post #483545  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:33 am 

He’s going to play Holding, Tierney, Bellerin and Torreira on Thursday then drop them all for the weekend isn’t he.

Idiot

Still stewing about last night

Post #483546  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:57 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
The biggest question out of the debacle is - Could Emery guarantee that Özil would have been worse than the players on the pitch.

Özil away at Sheffield bloody United? You’ve got to be joking. That would be playing with ten men even if eleven are on the pitch. For me that’s as guaranteed as any non-factual opinion can be. In my view there’s a much bigger chance that reintroducing Mustafi to the back four would improve our defending.

Post #483547  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:25 am 

Emery has really messed up the No.10 position. Can't get Özil motivated or doing whatever it is Emery wants him to do, plays Torreira there!, plays the box to box Willock there taking away his best strength of arriving late in the box, plays Ceballos there taking away his best strength of recycling possession from deep. The team is massively missing that creative link from midfield to strikers. Aubamayang, the leagues hottest striker had absolutely nothing to work with yesterday.

Post #483548  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:25 am 

If we had played exciting attacking football last night, created lots of chances but just been unlucky, there would be room for optimism. However, this is not the case and has not been for most of Emery's tenure.

We play slow, boring, sideways football without the occasional Wengerball moments that we at least saw from Wenger sides even in the midst of his decline. We used to be the team to watch for the neutrals, now we are not even the team to watch for Arsenal fans. I have not enjoyed watching an Arsenal game for a long, long time, except perhaps for the Europa league and Carling Cup when the kids have been involved.

If there are top managers out there who are available then go get one of them. Come the end of the season who knows what big clubs might be looking for a manager and we might miss out.

Frankly (and I never thought I'd say this) I'd take Mourinho at this juncture.

Emery is out of his depth.

Post #483549  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:26 am 

grantyboy wrote:
dec wrote:

I agree. The fans are not going to wait like they did with Wenger. A few more crap, half assed results and the support will turn quickly. .

I hope your right but It’s not really about the support turning quickly. In the end it was the empty ground that sacked Wenger as it was terrible PR. Even after all the crap results and protests they were digging in.

I can’t see our support vocally calling for Emery’s head this season at all but even if they did I’m doubt kroenke would act.

Mark my words we will be talking about this after Christmas

Post #483550  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:41 am 

socrates wrote:
If we had played exciting attacking football last night, created lots of chances but just been unlucky, there would be room for optimism. However, this is not the case and has not been for most of Emery's tenure.

We play slow, boring, sideways football without the occasional Wengerball moments that we at least saw from Wenger sides even in the midst of his decline. We used to be the team to watch for the neutrals, now we are not even the team to watch for Arsenal fans. I have not enjoyed watching an Arsenal game for a long, long time, except perhaps for the Europa league and Carling Cup when the kids have been involved.

If there are top managers out there who are available then go get one of them. Come the end of the season who knows what big clubs might be looking for a manager and we might miss out.

Frankly (and I never thought I'd say this) I'd take Mourinho at this juncture.

Emery is out of his depth.

And Sheff utd really didn't do anything that good to beat us. They didn't really attack us, they pressed us high as most teams do and we coughed up possession in our own half, they defended deep and relatively well but I don't recall every thinking 'oh that is good defending' because we didn't do anything.
I watched the desperation at a last minute corner of ours, bodies were throwing themselves at the header knowing this was the last chance, ok we didn't win the header but where is that desire from every set piece 1st or last minute?
The Europa games it is as though the team suddenly play with more freedom and license to attack.

Emery seems so caught up on planning for the opposition when in fact in at least 50% of prem games he should look at the teams and say, ok what is the opposition weakness? their weakness is that in every single position on this pitch we have a better player than them - right that's enough of analysing them - lets attack them with our better players.

Post #483551  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:31 am 

Leno

Bellerin holding Chambers Tierney

Torreira Ceballos and willock

Lacazette, Pépé, aubameyang

That’s our best side

I genuinely think Emery doesn’t know his players strengths. Willock isn’t a no 10 he’s a box to box player ala Michael Thomas/Paul Davis keep everything neat and tidy.

People will say holding and chambers are a risk but I don’t trust the other 2.

Yes we will lose games but win more and we need an injection of creativity

Post #483552  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:38 am 

Anyone who wouldn’t put Guendouzi in their best side doesn’t know what they’re talking about in my view. First midfielder on the team sheet for me. He is better than any of Torreira, Ceballos and Willock.

Post #483553  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
Anyone who wouldn’t put Guendouzi in their best side doesn’t know what they’re talking about in my view. First name on the team sheet for me.

I think you can only play 1 of Torreira, Guendouzi and Xhaka without midfield being too static and I think Torreira is the best player of the 3.

Guendouzi is a good player but not polished and didn’t play a forward pass through the lines all game yesterday.

Post #483554  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:00 am 

Bernard wrote:
Anyone who wouldn’t put Guendouzi in their best side doesn’t know what they’re talking about in my view. First midfielder on the team sheet for me. He is better than any of Torreira, Ceballos and Willock.

Agree Bernard, great prospect, already in French team and best midfielder at the club.

Post #483555  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:17 am 

socrates wrote:
We used to be the team to watch for the neutrals, now we are not even the team to watch for Arsenal fans.

Sadly true.

Post #483556  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Özil away at Sheffield bloody United? You’ve got to be joking. That would be playing with ten men even if eleven are on the pitch. For me that’s as guaranteed as any non-factual opinion can be. In my view there’s a much bigger chance that reintroducing Mustafi to the back four would improve our defending.

But we basically didn't create at all. .one Özil ball like at Watford might have earned us a point. At times I thought we were a couple of players short. They never got into the game and then the execution was appalling. Emery can't have it both ways - I've got better and more committed players than Özil and then they fail to deliver. We will never know if Özil could have had a couple of real class moments but the failure to put him on when we were creating nothing means Emery is putting himself under extra scrutiny.

Post #483557  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Then you’ll get people moaning about a lack of creativity.

I accept it was a disappointing result but I think it’s too soon to jump on the ‘sack the manager’ bandwagon, at least so early. I saw someone calling for Ljunberg to take over. Bloody hell, based on what? Liking him as a former player? A fondness of him for that reason is fair enough. But what else is there to support him taking over at a club the size of Arsenal so soon in his managerial career? For all we know, Ljungberg might have some coaching responsibility for our poorer performances.

Has he coached a middle of the road Spanish club to multi-Europa League wins? As far as I’m aware Ljungberg hasn’t managed or been the head coach at a substantially sized club anywhere. Yet there are calls for him to take over. It’s crazy.

For those of you who want Emery gone, I think you should hope we fail to qualify for next season’s Champions League. Because if we do I’d bet my wine collection that he’ll still be in post next season. I see it as that simple.

I get what you're saying Bernard but I think the club should be brave and accept that Emery is not the right fit for Arsenal. As Darren said there is something about him that just doesn't feel right. Freddie may not be the solution long term but in terms of a short term fix it may not be the worst idea. These players are better than what Emery is getting out of them. Well most of them are, sadly he insists on continually picking some of the worst ones, despite evidence to the contrary. Last night was dire.

Post #483558  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:19 am 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Agree Bernard, great prospect, already in French team and best midfielder at the club.

There’s two Guendouzi’s though, the bit between his teeth makes stuff happen version and the version we got last night, tendency to be slightly ponderous and goes over under pressure looking for a free. He’s classy but far from the finished article and not the first name on the team sheet imo.

Post #483559  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:30 am 

Ash wrote:
Niall wrote:

There’s two Guendouzi’s though, the bit between his teeth makes stuff happen version and the version we got last night, tendency to be slightly ponderous and goes over under pressure looking for a free. He’s classy but far from the finished article and not the first name on the team sheet imo.

I thought Guendouzi was our second best player last night, after Pépé. Had everyone played to his level we’d have won.

Post #483560  Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Anyone who wouldn’t put Guendouzi in their best side doesn’t know what they’re talking about in my view. First name on the team sheet for me.

I think you can only play 1 of Torreira, Guendouzi and Xhaka without midfield being too static and I think Torreira is the best player of the 3.

Guendouzi is a good player but not polished and didn’t play a forward pass through the lines all game yesterday.

You’re way more likely to get a forward pass through the lines from Guendouzi than you are from Torreira. I like Torreira and he would normally get in my starting eleven, but someone who passes through the lines is not what he is.

I also think it’s ridiculous to blame Guendouzi if the midfield is too static. He’s the midfielder with the most energy and he gets round the pitch better than anyone else.

[ 551322 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12086, 12087, 12088, 12089, 12090, 12091, 12092 ... 13784  Next