Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, grantyboy, john1 and 280 guests

Post #460481  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
Put Luiz in Xhaka's place and put Holding with Sockratis. It was that CB pairing that we had on that long unbeaten run. If not Holding then Mustafi. Manure might well be missing almost their entire strike force.

Gunfire, you’ve brought this up before.We had a 22 game unbeaten run. Mustafi played 16 of them, Holding played 15 of them and Sokratis played 13 of them. Mustafi actually played the most games of those three of the unbeaten run. Although it was only one more than Holding, Mustafi contributed as much, arguably more, than the other two.

I’m not saying I want Mustafi picked. But you can’t legitimately use that unbeaten run to say Holding and Sokratis was the basic centre back pairing for it, as it wasn’t.

Sorry you are correct. I meant that the pair looked ok together and less clanger prone than Sok and Luiz.

Post #460482  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:28 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Final thing I’d say is it feels uplifting and pure to watch young players trying to do their best rather than over paid squaddies like we had in the past.

Agree with that. The best crop of young players we've had for a long time.

The squad looks exciting. Which is why performances like Watford second half and Villa first half, where we couldn't defend or present a consistent threat going forward, are so frustrating. Sort out CM and CH & mix up the tactics and we could be in business.

Post #460483  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:45 pm 

Torreira for Xhaka, Holding for Luiz and the 2 full backs returning.

I think that could Change so much

Post #460484  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Suddenly we've got a spine and plenty of width ... and quite a lot for the bench too.

Post #460485  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:47 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Suddenly we've got a spine and plenty of width ... and quite a lot for the bench too.

Seems staggering that we can simply offload so many players and actually look healthier.

Looking back I think when Willock came on in the Europa final it might have been a bit of a lightbulb moment where we realised we need to try a different tact

Post #460486  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:52 pm 

I'm watching the league cup now. So far...

Forest doing absolutely nothing. No attack, cone like defensive positioning and Arsenal kicking it around.

Torreira excellent tactical awareness. Özil is a *%^@*** joke. Chambers I think would be good as a CB or DM. Tierney lots of energy and desire. But there is absolutely no real opposition. No 50/50 balls, no pressure.

As glad as I'd be as anyone to celebrate the awesomeness of a young team I have to look at the opposition and what they're not doing.

Post #460487  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:59 pm 

Martinelli looks GOOD!! He's only 18, right? Lots of time for him. So far, he is playing beyond his years. Amazing given that he's in a new country, assuming a new language as well. If what we have seen so far is any indication, we have a great crop of young players that could develop into great players.

Any word on how bad the Smith Rowe injury is?

I'm a wee bit disappointed in Özil. He seems he has given up on us (or we on him, depending on which view you take) and is going through the motions till his future is decided. He was always emotionally fragile. That was the early word on him and it remains. (I still say we'd have been much better served taking Fabregas back :7laughter: )

Post #460488  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:06 pm 

Start to 2nd half and apparently Tony Woodcock is a legendary striker of both Arsenal and Forest. Funnily I dont recall my dad being full of praise for his abilities. Maybe mistaken as I was.probably 8 but there you go.

Post #460489  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:21 pm 

60 minutes and I've seen nothing that is super encouraging. Forest are simply rubbish and making Arsenal look competent. Shape is still very poor and on transition look disorganised.

Even Torriera is now bombinh forward leaving a gaping hole in midfield, wide open for a counter. He never used to do that when he arrived from Italy.

Post #460490  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:54 pm 

At 4-0 there are oles ringing round the ground and I've still seen *%^@ all that proves any kind of progress. Arsenal were allowed to dominate by a.poor team with even worse tactics (for this match anyway)

And why the hell is Martinelli being given so many plaudits? 2 goals against shite opposition but didn't see not hear from him for the rest of the entire match.

Equally Mustafi was still crap and against better opposition would have been punished for falling over and multiple stupid cross field balls.

I read all the comments from this forum and thought wow and then watched the match and thought wtf.

Post #460491  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:38 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
At 4-0 there are oles ringing round the ground and I've still seen *%^@ all that proves any kind of progress. Arsenal were allowed to dominate by a.poor team with even worse tactics (for this match anyway)

And why the hell is Martinelli being given so many plaudits? 2 goals against shite opposition but didn't see not hear from him for the rest of the entire match.

Equally Mustafi was still crap and against better opposition would have been punished for falling over and multiple stupid cross field balls.

I read all the comments from this forum and thought wow and then watched the match and thought wtf.

Apologies if I went and enjoyed myself mate. Should've had you sat next to me for a bit of perspective.

Post #460492  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:11 pm 

Enjoyed it eh Granty !

Didn’t see positives in a team largely of teens and early twenties demolishing a championship side.

There was progress there and despite being a liability Mustafi was good and martinelli led the line well

Kelly Brook gave me an average blowjob last night boo hooo , sob poor me

Post #460493  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Put Luiz in Xhaka's place and put Holding with Sockratis. It was that CB pairing that we had on that long unbeaten run. If not Holding then Mustafi. Manure might well be missing almost their entire strike force.

They have said Martial will be back.

I’m really not a fan of the idea of playing Luiz in midfield why wouldn’t we just play Torreira and Guendouzi? That said I honestly don’t believe he could do worse than Xhaka.

I think we are stuck waiting for Xhaka to drop a major clanger in a key game before he is dropped.

Like conceding a daft peno in the NLD?

Post #460494  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Same coach. Might be enough to get top 4 because Man U are dire, Chelsea hampered by a transfer ban and Tottenham regressing.

It's super to have these kids but we still need a proper style of play

Post #460495  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Start to 2nd half and apparently Tony Woodcock is a legendary striker of both Arsenal and Forest. Funnily I dont recall my dad being full of praise for his abilities. Maybe mistaken as I was.probably 8 but there you go.

Tony Woodcock was bloody good. Nowhere near my best ever Arsenal team but the front two automatically has to be Henry and Bergkamp (who is on the bench is a lot more debatable yet I’d go for van Persie). But I remember Woodcock as a really fine player.

Post #460496  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:33 pm 

grantyboy wrote:

Unbelievably harsh summary granty. You ok mate?

Post #460497  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:12 pm 

Lamps loses this and their PL form doesnt improve I will give him till Xmas.

Didnt Grimsby Town do in the Mancs back in the 90s once in the FA Cup?

Chelsea have gone from a likeable, sometimes in fashion London club to a money bought, rent club bereft on ethics and morals. Good riddance.

Post #460498  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:52 pm 

Lamps 7-1. MU going to penaltis..

Post #460499  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:23 pm 

At 2-1, I thought Chelsea may be in trouble but they rolled on. Man Utd though? Having to go to PKs to win? Both clubs will struggle this season...hopefully...probably.

Hoping we catch Man Utd slipping Monday. I would 'looove it, just looove it' if we beat them at OT big. But for now, I'll take a draw.

Post #460500  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 pm 

Liverpool away in the next round of the cup. Might as well play the kids

Post #460501  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 pm 

grantyboy wrote:

You have to put it in context. Was it a performance comparable to what we've seen Aubameyang do this season? Obviously not. But for a kid who turned 18 a couple of months ago, making his first start for the club, out of position, I find it baffling how anyone can say it wasn't a good performance.

Even more baffling how a defender can be called crap when our opponents barely had a decent chance (I can't remember a single one).

Nottingham were bad, but part of that was us making them bad by outworking them in every situation.

Post #460502  Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:54 pm 

If you would have told me, we'd be in 4th place after 6 games with Liverpool and Tottenham being in that first 6 matches and we'd be only 2 points behind City and and 3 points ahead of Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd, I'd advise you to stop taking xanax along with your New Zealand wine.

We are off to a decent start. Really only one match I'd say we were 'bad' (Watford) in considering where we are as a squad. The rest of the scores aren't a shock or surprising given where we are.

Post #460503  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:53 am 

Onwards to OT ...... give the armband to Aubameyang. Bring on the same drive and energy from that second half against Villa. Emery, please don't be conservative. Don't lose the initiative your lads have built for you.

Post #460504  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:55 am 

Chambers should not play CH whilst Mustafi is around. As long as Mustafi has a good partner he is at least a 7 out of 10 possibly even an 8.

Post #460505  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:51 am 

Liverpool away.... Oh well
Nice while it lasted.
Realistically with city and Liverpool as they are I don't see us winning the league Cup for a while.
That defence has got to be 'torn up' for the utd game.
Chambers has to come in for AMN on current form. Holding in for Sokratis and Tierney in at left back.
Then after utd get bellerin back in.
I missed and loved the composure Holding brings to that defence. Fed up seeing Luiz and Sokratis getting game after game and Chambers getting left on the bench despite starting the season well. Emery has to stop playing his favourites and do what's best for the team. I'll be pissed if there isn't a change in defence for the utd game.
Getting beat up there all the time is no fun.

Post #460506  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:56 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Chambers should not play CH whilst Mustafi is around. As long as Mustafi has a good partner he is at least a 7 out of 10 possibly even an 8.

I agree. Chambers was terrible in central defence at Fulham, although he did well enough in midfield to win the player of the season award for a dreadful team. But central defence? No thanks.

Post #460507  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I agree. Chambers was terrible in central defence at Fulham, although he did well enough in midfield to win the player of the season award for a dreadful team. But central defence? No thanks.

I wouldn’t be so dismissive. That Fulham team had an absence of talent when they pushed him into midfield and he performed well againest Newcastle. One game does not a player make but I wouldn’t be averse to see him getting another chance. 24 years old is still young for a centre back.

Post #460508  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:21 am 

Oi TG I won't respond to posts about Brexit because it is such a subjective issue. However I believe that Boris gave you and your remoaner cohorts an answer last night in the Commons.

UP YOURS SUNSHINE

:42laughter: :26surprise: :12hello-bye:

Post #460509  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:31 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Oi TG I won't respond to posts about Brexit because it is such a subjective issue. However I believe that Boris gave you and your remoaner cohorts an answer last night in the Commons.

UP YOURS SUNSHINE

Did you find that an impressive political performance eh ? :laughing7:

Please say yes :laughing7:

Do you still still believe nonsense like the EU trying to make whiskey a hazardous liquid and ban 3 pin plugs :laughing7:

Please post some more stuff like that you had the whole forum in stiches last time

Post #460510  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:11 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Unbelievably harsh summary granty. You ok mate?

Not really. Frustration at work + being pissed
about Arsenal might have made me over elabourate.

Whether genuine or no, thanks for asking.

Post #460511  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:09 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

You have to put it in context. Was it a performance comparable to what we've seen Aubameyang do this season? Obviously not. But for a kid who turned 18 a couple of months ago, making his first start for the club, out of position, I find it baffling how anyone can say it wasn't a good performance.

Even more baffling how a defender can be called crap when our opponents barely had a decent chance (I can't remember a single one).

Nottingham were bad, but part of that was us making them bad by outworking them in every situation.

Agreed, it is too easy to label our wins as the opponents being bad and our defeats as Arsenal being rubbish. There are bits in between

Post #460512  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:37 pm 

How I travel. :icon_mrgreen: Taking a little side vacay in The Philippines.

Attachments:

Post #460513  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:39 pm 

What Sean Bean thinks of Tottenham and Chelsea....

Post #460514  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:44 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

UP YOURS SUNSHINE

“Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition.”

Post #460515  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:53 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If you would have told me, we'd be in 4th place after 6 games with Liverpool and Tottenham being in that first 6 matches and we'd be only 2 points behind City and and 3 points ahead of Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd, I'd advise you to stop taking xanax along with your New Zealand wine.

Elinor is still holding her tongue.

Post #460516  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:06 pm 

https://www.givemesport.com/1508197-ars ... -dream-job

Arsene Wenger says being Manchester United manager would be a 'dream' job

Post #460517  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
https://www.givemesport.com/1508197-arsene-wenger-says-being-manchester-united-manager-would-be-a-dream-job

Arsene Wenger says being Manchester United manager would be a 'dream' job

He can just f#%^ right off. The same problems he identifies with Utd are the ones he left us with. Marvellous how he kept telling us all how he was always wanted by all these great clubs but when he is available they are not even linked with him.

Post #460518  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:38 pm 

Just my guess, I can see Aubameyang and Luiz being on the short list.

https://talksport.com/football/607031/a ... ain-emery/

DEMOCRATIC Arsenal players have VOTED for their preferred club captain after being asked to do so by Unai Emery

Post #460519  Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:55 pm 

Yeah, yeah, its only 6 games in but no one will be surprised if Liverpool wins the title. Heck, I'm scared of them going unbeaten in the league.

They are 'back on their perch' compared to Man Utd.

Post #460520  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:09 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Just my guess, I can see Aubameyang and Luiz being on the short list.

https://talksport.com/football/607031/a ... ain-emery/

DEMOCRATIC Arsenal players have VOTED for their preferred club captain after being asked to do so by Unai Emery

Aubameyang will be the Captain

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11510, 11511, 11512, 11513, 11514, 11515, 11516 ... 13232  Next