Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie and 281 guests

Post #482441  Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
So what’s the likely team tomorrow ?

Guessing randomly

Martinez

Chambers Mustafi holding “err what left back ? Reserve?? “

Torreira, Willock, Özil

Martinelli, Nelson, e john jules

.. would be a very inexperienced front 3

Is Medley in or can he be added to the squad? He came on as a sub at left back one game last season and did fine, despite being a centre back. If so, it could be Martinez, Chambers, Mustafi, Holding, Medley, Smith Rowe (to give him another chance), Torreira, Willock, Özil, Nelson, Martinelli.

Although they played minutes in an under-23 game, my guess is it’s still a little too early for Bellerin or Tierney to start. Playing the last two games could mean Saka won’t start. If he does, I reckon he’d take Smith Rowe’s place.

I think medley trained with the squad today.

I think your line up may be close but not sure if martinelli or Nelson could play a centre forward role. I’d be surprised if Saka started but he trained so might be on the bench. Tierney has only played 63 minutes of football I’d be shocked if we saw him or Bellerin

Post #482442  Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:34 pm 

Ash wrote:
Another thing I don’t understand quite why a player like Kante in the “Makalele” position has so suddenly gone out of fashion...
We have never properly replaced Gilberto, who was a fine defensive midfielder for Arsenal and Brazil. A great athlete too.

Post #482443  Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:02 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Ash wrote:
Another thing I don’t understand quite why a player like Kante in the “Makalele” position has so suddenly gone out of fashion...
We have never properly replaced Gilberto, who was a fine defensive midfielder for Arsenal and Brazil. A great athlete too.

I think Paddy ruined us for that position for some years to come. There’s a thing I often hear spoken of in relation to the defensive midfield role which is Torreira’s height. Is the thinking that if the opposition get a cross into our area, only the DM will be deep enough to have made it back to help out aerially? I can’t recall thinking that of Xhaka many times. And why is the aerial threat weighted so highly? Is it because Emery is coaching in England??

Post #482444  Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:48 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Quote:
There’s something else going on which is preventing us from getting the best out of our team.

Try "Xhaka"

Post #482445  Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:52 pm 

Rich wrote:
With Tierney, Bellerin, Holding and mavropanos all playing minutes for the U23’s it leaves Lacazette as our only injured first team player. Would be great to have a season where all our key players stay fit. I think we missed Bellerin and holding a lot after Xmas last year

With everyone healthy, central defense is really the only glaring weakness. We are either decent but not great or good/great at every other position in terms of starters and subs.

Post #482446  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:33 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Try "Xhaka"

No. Luiz is a plant from Chelsea. He is trying to get them CL football next year. There can be no other explanation as to how he allowed that ball to drift into the area on the weekend for Villas first. I have never seen that even in kids footy. Someone always tries to play the ball.

Post #482447  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:35 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
With Tierney, Bellerin, Holding and mavropanos all playing minutes for the U23’s it leaves Lacazette as our only injured first team player. Would be great to have a season where all our key players stay fit. I think we missed Bellerin and holding a lot after Xmas last year

With everyone healthy, central defense is really the only glaring weakness. We are either decent but not great or good/great at every other position in terms of starters and subs.

I think the easy way other teams make easy ground thru our midfield is a real problem as well. Do the players understand what the game plan is?

Post #482448  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:10 am 

We could start Tierney and Bellerin. Seems a little rushed

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/holding ... d28uwy5z65

Post #482449  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:34 am 

Arsenal agreed to play our league cup tie with Forrest tonight, only 48 hours after our match with villa, as a gesture of goodwill to Forrest to help them with their preparations for a Friday night game v Stoke.

I would like to think the conversation was
“Can we play on Tuesday, we’ve got a match on Friday?”
“That’s quite tough for us as we played Sunday.....who are you playing on Friday?”
“Stoke”
“Done”

More likely is that arsenal knew they would rotate pretty much the entire 11 so saw no issue with helping them out.

Post #482450  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:42 am 

Read some people say Aubameyang’s free kick should have not been allowed as Chambers was closer than 1 metre to the villa wall. A new rule bought in this season which stops attacking players disrupting the wall.
It is a bit inconclusive when you watch the free kick because it’s difficult to say what is the villa wall as there are defenders near the wall but not really part of it.

I’m sure it’s another rule change that footballers will look to exploit as the season goes on!

Post #482451  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:56 am 

https://twitter.com/theposhofficial/sta ... 10883?s=20

The small things matter.

Post #482452  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:18 am 

Ash wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I think Paddy ruined us for that position for some years to come. There’s a thing I often hear spoken of in relation to the defensive midfield role which is Torreira’s height. Is the thinking that if the opposition get a cross into our area, only the DM will be deep enough to have made it back to help out aerially? I can’t recall thinking that of Xhaka many times. And why is the aerial threat weighted so highly? Is it because Emery is coaching in England??
Yes, Paddy was so good that whoever came after him had to be inferior - he was simply one of the greatest midfielders ever to play the game. The hairs on the back of my neck still rise when thinking of how complete a player he was. And we had his best years too. On the aerial power both he and Gilberto were superb defensive allies to Sol and Kolo at set pieces. We have missed that from our midfielders for the last decade or so. I always thought Giroud helped out with his fair share of headed clearances.

Post #482453  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:50 am 

I don’t think we should forget Petit. In my view the greatest defensive midfielder I’ve seen in an Arsenal shirt, as I consider Vieira more than a just a defensive midfielder. I remember Exiled used to say that Petit arguably contributed even more than Vieira for a couple of seasons, and I could understand that viewpoint.

Post #482454  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:44 pm 

Pépé has created more big chances than everyone bar 4 players in the league and he started the first two games on the bench. He regularly leads games for dribbles, chances – give him a bit more time to settle and get some goals and confidence and I think he’ll turn out just fine for us.

Post #482455  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:17 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Ash wrote:

Yes, Paddy was so good that whoever came after him had to be inferior - he was simply one of the greatest midfielders ever to play the game. The hairs on the back of my neck still rise when thinking of how complete a player he was. And we had his best years too. On the aerial power both he and Gilberto were superb defensive allies to Sol and Kolo at set pieces. We have missed that from our midfielders for the last decade or so. I always thought Giroud helped out with his fair share of headed clearances.

Keane didn't ruin Man Utd for that position, SAF was smart enough to know that Keane was a one off, just like Vieira was for us. At one time we had Gilberto, Diarra, Fabregas, Flamini (the good version), Diaby, at the same time, with Hleb, Rosicky, van Persie, and others in attack.

Also, we didn't have the money after Paddy left to buy big for that position.

Post #482456  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
Pépé has created more big chances than everyone bar 4 players in the league and he started the first two games on the bench. He regularly leads games for dribbles, chances – give him a bit more time to settle and get some goals and confidence and I think he’ll turn out just fine for us.

His upside is huge. The main problem I think we will have with him in the future is keeping him.

Post #482457  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:
Another thing I don’t understand quite why a player like Kante in the “Makalele” position has so suddenly gone out of fashion. I think Torreria is fine to play there. Why can’t he just cover and give it to someone else?? Is there something in football trends I’m missing? Sarri played Kante high and Jorginho deeper, and Emery played Torreria high that one time, but I think that was disastrous. I don’t understand. Kante won two leagues in a row playing in a defensive midfield position. It feels like ideology over the evidence of eyes. Is it Liverpool’s high press?? It’s like playing a Makalele type player is so 2016 or something so you could never do it.

I don’t get this either

Why not play Torreira with a mandate to sit in front back four breaking up attacks With Ceballos and Guendouzi ahead of him in a midfield pivot coordinating when to go forward and stay back. At the start of last season Torreira seemed to be operating like this for the first 10 games or so and looked like he could walk into Barcelona’s first team he was so good. What’s changed

My thoughts too. Torreira was excellent when he played that role and I recall last season as well when all of a sudden he was being asked to get forward in support of the attack. Around the same time fmthe results started to stutter and fail. Is still a mystery why he isn't playing in the DM role which is also where he played for Uruguay in the World Cup.

Post #482458  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:16 pm 

If you feel the need to lobby for the prize and tell people you deserve it, its a pretty good indication you don't deserve it.

Post #482459  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:18 pm 

So the Supreme Court has ruled our own government has behaved unlawfully and parliament is due to resume. Think about that.

Under any normal circumstance the PM would resign but our bar has been driven so low anything is now acceptable.

The pound surged after the court ruling. That’s telling. Anyone who thinks any of this will help everyday people is delusional

I just don’t recognise this as the same country I grew up in.

Post #482460  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:58 pm 

Arsenal: Martinez, Chambers, Mustafi, Holding, Tierney, Torreira, Willock, Özil, Nelson, Smith Rowe, Martinelli

Subs: Macey, Bellerin, Bola, Burton, Ceballos, Saka, Balogun

First look at Tierney, and Torriera starting this nonsense game. Don’t quite know what to think of it.

Post #482461  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:03 pm 

Ash wrote:
Arsenal: Martinez, Chambers, Mustafi, Holding, Tierney, Torreira, Willock, Özil, Nelson, Smith Rowe, Martinelli

Subs: Macey, Bellerin, Bola, Burton, Ceballos, Saka, Balogun

First look at Tierney, and Torriera starting this nonsense game. Don’t quite know what to think of it.

It’s a fun line up but it just seems hysterical that Özil and Mustafi can only be trusted for the league cup whilst costing half a million a week.

Post #482462  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:27 pm 

Rich wrote:
Games coming thick and fast now with Forrest in the league cup on tuesday. We need and would expect wholesale changes, but there are enough first team experienced players that it doesn't have to a be a youth/scratch side.
Martinez, Chambers, Holding, Mustafi, Tierney?,Willock, Torreira, Özil, Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Martinelli
In a 4-2-3-1 formation

Do I win a prize for predicting the exact line up?

Post #482463  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:53 pm 

no dice so far

Post #482464  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:15 pm 

There's radio commentary on talksport 2 for those in the UK, which is what I've been reduced to.

Post #482465  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:32 pm 

1 - Nil Arsenal.

Martinelli. Only 18 :9adore-boo:

Post #482466  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:33 pm 

Bromley, Ash, Soc - Sent you all a PM

Post #482467  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:41 pm 

Several years ago I met a British recruiter who was surprised I was a football fan. Arsenal is part of my email address and he said guess my club. Arsenal's kit came from borrowing ours: Forest.

True?

Post #482468  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:42 pm 

I can PM too if needed

Post #482469  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:43 pm 

warrior wrote:

Called to the headmaster's office for one across the knuckles. :42laughter:

Post #482470  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:46 pm 

Feel badly for Smith Rowe.

Post #482471  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:47 pm 

Excellent finish for the goal from Martinelli :53big-emoticons:

Saka on for the worryingly injury-prone Smith-Rowe

Post #482472  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:48 pm 

Sounds like Chambers is playing well at RB. Should he keep the spot ahead of AMN at Man U? Defensively better but likely to be up against James who is lightening quick

Post #482473  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:51 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Clash of heads with a Notts defender, didn't look good.

Post #482474  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:56 pm 

That 45 minutes of football just about restored my faith in humanity again. Great intensity from the start and it looks like we're playing 11 v 9. Completely dominant. I know Nottingham are in the Championship but with a cobbled together eleven we've been very impressive.

Not a bad performance from anyone, with Martinelli the standout player. Tierney looked every bit as promised, and even Özil looks up for it.

Only negative is that Smith-Rowe was stretchered off with a head injury, possible concussion. Real shame, ge nearly scored in the situation where he was injured.

Post #482475  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:57 pm 

Arsenalia wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Yeah they aren’t dirty but they all seem to be absolute units and happy to be physical. Bit much for some of the youngsters in the challenge, injury prone is a little harsh when you’ve just had your nose smashed.

Post #482476  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:01 pm 

Ash wrote:
Arsenalia wrote:

Yeah they aren’t dirty but they all seem to be absolute units and happy to be physical. Bit much for some of the youngsters in the challenge, injury prone is a little harsh when you’ve just had your nose smashed.

Fair point Ash.

Post #482477  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:12 pm 

warrior wrote:

We need a WhatsApp group :42laughter:

Post #482478  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:22 pm 

Lots of possession but we're not doing anything with it...........

Post #482479  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:24 pm 

Nelson playing well would love him to get a goal tonight

Post #482480  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:28 pm 

Willock should have buried that. Lovely work from Saka.

[ 551322 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12059, 12060, 12061, 12062, 12063, 12064, 12065 ... 13784  Next