Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: dec, Decaf, gooner7, Rich and 54 guests

Post #324161  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:46 pm 

DHD wrote:
There are a few things about our near neighbours' current situation that don’t make immediate sense.
- Poch had 3.5 years left on a very expensive contract, as had his lieutenants. That is a positive shit-load of compensation – seriously un-sperzy!
- Mourinho runs on money – shit-loads of it for him and even more for his transfer habit – again, seriously un-sperz!
- Why wait until the second week of the interlull? If it were done, t’were best done last Monday.
- Poch has made it known that few if any of the club purchases in the close season were with his agreement. They weren’t cheap either. How does that happen?
- Mourinho is coming in as Chief Coach rather than a Manager so presumably, transfers will be outside of his remit as well. That sounds like a recipe for discontent from day one.
- Where the hell is Sessegnon? What about that lad they bought from Leeds – Clarke? - who was immediately loaned straight back but hasn’t since had a single game for them. Very odd.
- My sperz mates suggest that both Aldeweireld and Vertonghen have suddenly got old and injury prone together, hence the lack of interest in the transfer market – but they’re only 30 and 32?
- Why is nobody interested in Eriksen? By any standards, he’s a very decent player but even at a knock-down price, not a sniff. Why?

Not that I give the arse of a rat about any of the above, but odd things are happening at the lane that time forgot - the ground where I have seen us lift two (count them) league winning trophies!

What’s that you say DHD?

You’ve seen us lift two (count them) league winning trophies at the Lane that time forgot? Two? The same number as the TOTAL number of league titles that they have won? Ever?

Post #324162  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:44 pm 

Thinking of when I got my first shirt.

Thought I looked like Jon Sammels in it. No idea why.

https://youtu.be/RMnrxFQebAg

Post #324163  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:47 pm 

DHD wrote:
There are a few things about our near neighbours' current situation that don’t make immediate sense.
- Poch had 3.5 years left on a very expensive contract, as had his lieutenants. That is a positive shit-load of compensation – seriously un-sperzy!
- Mourinho runs on money – shit-loads of it for him and even more for his transfer habit – again, seriously un-sperz!
- Why wait until the second week of the interlull? If it were done, t’were best done last Monday.
- Poch has made it known that few if any of the club purchases in the close season were with his agreement. They weren’t cheap either. How does that happen?
- Mourinho is coming in as Chief Coach rather than a Manager so presumably, transfers will be outside of his remit as well. That sounds like a recipe for discontent from day one.
- Where the hell is Sessegnon? What about that lad they bought from Leeds – Clarke? - who was immediately loaned straight back but hasn’t since had a single game for them. Very odd.
- My sperz mates suggest that both Aldeweireld and Vertonghen have suddenly got old and injury prone together, hence the lack of interest in the transfer market – but they’re only 30 and 32?
- Why is nobody interested in Eriksen? By any standards, he’s a very decent player but even at a knock-down price, not a sniff. Why?

Not that I give the arse of a rat about any of the above, but odd things are happening at the lane that time forgot - the ground where I have seen us lift two (count them) league winning trophies!

With regards to the money they have to pay out, I'd also add Mourinho doesn't come cheap. I wonder if they approached Wenger just to take the piss? Sperz moving into a new stadium, etc, and its traditional wisdom money is tight the first few years.
I'd take a chance on Vertonghen if he came cheap. I'd rather us spend big on CBs but if we won't, then he's not too bad.
To be fair to Mourinho, he has managed a team with a budget successfully (Porto) but its been so long, I'm not sure he can recreate the magic.

Post #324164  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:57 pm 

john1 wrote:

What’s that you say DHD?

You’ve seen us lift two (count them) league winning trophies at the Lane that time forgot? Two? The same number as the TOTAL number of league titles that they have won? Ever?

To be absolutely fair to our imbecile neighbours, they have a pretty impressive array of other major silverware. See below if you don't believe. They have been (joint) winners of The Ipswich Hospital Charity Cup - oh yes. One can only guess at the opposition in the Costa Del Sol Tournament - but a trophy is a trophy and must NOT be sniffed at.

Southern League Champions: 1899/1900
Western League Champions: 1903/1904
London League Premier Division Champions: 1902/1903
Football League South 'C' Division Champions: 1939/1940
Football League South Champions: 1943/1944, 1944/1945
Southern District Charity Cup Winners: 1901/1902, 1904/1905 (joint), 1906/1907
Dewar Shield Winners: 1901/1902, 1933/1934
London Challenge Cup Winners: 1910/1911, 1928/1929
Anglo-Italian League Cup-Winners Cup Winners: 1971/1972
Norwich Charity Cup Winners: 1919/1920
Norwich Hospital Charity Cup Winners: 1946/1947, 1949/1950 (joint)
Ipswich Hospital Charity Cup Winners: 1951/1952 (joint)
Costa Del Sol Tournament Winners: 1965, 1966
Nolia Cup (Sweden) Winners: 1977
Japan Cup Winners: 1979
Sun International Challenge Trophy (Swaziland) Winners: 1983
Peace Cup (Korea) Winners: 2005
Vodacom Challenge (South Africa) Winners: 2007
Feyenoord Jubileum Tournament (Holland) Winners: 2008
Barclays Asia Trophy (China) Winners: 2009

Post #324165  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:23 pm 

Maureen at Spurs - don't mind admitting it's got me a little worried. Please God it doesn't go well, because if it does we're in for a lot of pain.

Post #324166  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 pm 

Thank you Levy - in one go you have reminded us all of the lack of class at Tottenham, but more importantly have ensured that turd Mourinho will not be deposited in our part of North London.

As for Poch, yes it would be very droll to have him at Arsenal, but let the head rule the heart so that we can find an experienced manager who has won some big trophies.

Post #324167  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Maureen at Spurs - don't mind admitting it's got me a little worried. Please God it doesn't go well, because if it does we're in for a lot of pain.
He'll very likely win them a trophy ,and then it will end in tears, as it often does with him.
As Martial wrote, a skunk must be itself.

Post #324168  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
He'll very likely win them a trophy ,and then it will end in tears, as it often does with him.
As Martial wrote, a skunk must be itself.

I have to say that I was just relieved that he would not be coming to us.

Post #324169  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:37 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Thank you Levy - in one go you have reminded us all of the lack of class at Tottenham, but more importantly have ensured that turd Mourinho will not be deposited in our part of North London.

As for Poch, yes it would be very droll to have him at Arsenal, but let the head rule the heart so that we can find an experienced manager who has won some big trophies.

What "experienced manager who has won some big trophies" would come to a club that has such limited ambition?.

I'd take Eddie Howe right now because if people think we're getting the likes of Allegri, Nagelsmann or Ten Haag then I think they are in lala land.

Anyway, Kroenke OUT.

What else is there to add?.

Boring, boring Arsenal.

Post #324170  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 pm 

The Arsenal is only attractive to a manager who has ambitions of adding a top 6 club to his CV. Agree that Allegri and company wouldn't come to us unless their money is running low and need a stop gap job.

Post #324171  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:05 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The Arsenal is only attractive to a manager who has ambitions of adding a top 6 club to his CV.

Ya know, maybe I could do it then ?

I would love to add a top 6 club to my CV and I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to run an English football team.

Surely I'd be a shoe-in for the job, or perhaps I'm over qualified ?

Post #324172  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:58 am 

Get em out. A microcosm of Brexit thinking

https://twitter.com/g_gosden/status/119 ... 98720?s=21

Post #324173  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:45 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

I agree completely on Mourinho.

However, I think Poch would be ideal for Arsenal. The fact that he hasn't actually won anything with Spurs really doesn't matter. He knows the PL and he knows how to get a team to play effective and attractive football. He'd be very hungry to prove the lad from the lane wrong. He's also not an a****** which still means something!

Post #324174  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:39 am 

Finally, will get to see Arsenal play again. Will Emery change it into a more exciting play? Please make some changes because it is getting so boring with the slow-mo and toothless attacking plays. You have had 2 weeks to reflect, review the opposition, review the strengths of your players, and finally, to suss out any stupidity of your tactical thinking (hint: playing out of our own area).

Post #324175  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:42 am 

I think Mourinho will be successful for Spurs, from now till end of season. He is just that type of manager who is able to make things happen. He will become the disruptive manager again if Spurs does not give him his toys for the following season.

Post #324176  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:53 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

What "experienced manager who has won some big trophies" would come to a club that has such limited ambition?.

I'd take Eddie Howe right now because if people think we're getting the likes of Allegri, Nagelsmann or Ten Haag then I think they are in lala land.

Anyway, Kroenke OUT.

What else is there to add?.

Boring, boring Arsenal.
You might just be surprised how attractive a club Arsenal are to football people. Fans tend to accentuate the negative, but I would never assume football managers would be in line with that thinking. When Emery leaves there will be quite a long queue of experienced men willing to take over. In many respects it will be easier to come in after Dick than it was for Dick having to fill Arsene's shoes.

Post #324177  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:03 am 

Decaf wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I agree completely on Mourinho.

However, I think Poch would be ideal for Arsenal. The fact that he hasn't actually won anything with Spurs really doesn't matter. He knows the PL and he knows how to get a team to play effective and attractive football. He'd be very hungry to prove the lad from the lane wrong. He's also not an a****** which still means something!
Yes, from what we know of him I do like Poch as a man, and judging by the comments made by some of his former players, he clearly has their respect. However, Spurs to Arsenal would be a massive challenge for him. The fans would put him on an even shorter rope than Dick, so he would have to deliver the goods quickly, or planes would be flying.

Ancelotti for me, and a few of his Napoli guys.

Post #324178  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

:laughing7: while the BBC , CNN , NSBC , CBS , Huffington Post clearly are ...?

BBC isn’t bad and CNN is quite good

Fox is a cartoon for thick people. Watch the loudest voice with Russell Crowe and you’ll see the difference

There is a difference between having a strong perspective (Rachel Maddow for example) and doing what the Republicans and Fox are doing which is ignoring anything that doesn't fit their narrative or calling it fake news.

Yesterday was a case in point. During the hearing Devin Nunes was shouting that CNN was fake news and had put up a headline that was misrepresenting what was happening. If you look at what CNN is saying you find this is not the case at all. There is a diversity of views about how damning Sondland's testimony was.

The fake news narrative and the lazy denigration of NYT, WsPo, CNN, al-Jazeera, etc. is completely irresponsible.

Post #324179  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:53 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

Heard some interesting gossip this morning about the process that lead to Mourinho getting the job. Apparently he contacted Levy around three weeks ago, and pretty much followed up daily, pitching a new philosophy on how the game should be played. He also had to make assurances that he would not revert to type with regard to his more negative brand of football.

Seems he wasn’t first choice as they went after Rogers, but seems he refused to take their calls. Howe and Ancelotti were also on the list but it was felt Howe would need 2 or 3 seasons to make things happen. Ancelotti was beaten to the punch by Mourinho, Levy is desperate for a trophy, any trophy, and the Portugeezer seemed the sure thing.

Post #324180  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:15 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Heard some interesting gossip this morning about the process that lead to Mourinho getting the job. Apparently he contacted Levy around three weeks ago, and pretty much followed up daily, pitching a new philosophy on how the game should be played. He also had to make assurances that he would not revert to type with regard to his more negative brand of football.

Seems he wasn’t first choice as they went after Rogers, but seems he refused to take their calls. Howe and Ancelotti were also on the list but it was felt Howe would need 2 or 3 seasons to make things happen. Ancelotti was beaten to the punch by Mourinho, Levy is desperate for a trophy, any trophy, and the Portugeezer seemed the sure thing.
Yes, with Mourinho in charge you have to fancy Spurs in the cups. He is very good at focusing his team on ties. Get the right draw and you can go a long way in the ECL. Seems like we often got Barca or Bayern - avoid them and you can go all the way.

Post #324181  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:23 pm 

A leopard does not change its spots. If Jose fails to land a trophy the fingers will be pointed at Levy.

Post #324182  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:30 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
You might just be surprised how attractive a club Arsenal are to football people. Fans tend to accentuate the negative, but I would never assume football managers would be in line with that thinking. When Emery leaves there will be quite a long queue of experienced men willing to take over. In many respects it will be easier to come in after Dick than it was for Dick having to fill Arsene's shoes.

So you think we'll get the likes of Allegri, Ten Haag or Nagelsmann?, even they haven't really won 'big' trophies, we will be in the Europa again next season and given we blew a load of future transfer money this summer I can't see the appeal when it is clear the owner wont budge (in any respect), I expect us to be outspent by the majority of top 10 clubs in the league over the next few transfer windows.

No top manager is going to be interested in our tiresome and dreary project, we just have a negative owner. Anyway I've repeated myself enough here, sabatical time from Arsenal for me, might get semi interested again if Emery goes, then again might not, a bit like Kroenke I am just totally apathetic now, exactly what KSE deserve - an empty stadium next hopefully.

Post #324183  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:00 pm 

Any news on why Rodgers wasn’t interested? Don’t suppose it was him expecting to take over at the other North London club (obviously excluding Barnet)?

I can understand people’s concerns at Mourinho winning a trophy in his first year or two at our near neighbours (for those not up on North London geography, Tottenham is a closer place than Barnet). It’s what Mourinho does in his first couple of years. I can thus promise I’ll be even more pleased when Tottenham lose cup games, especially knock out ties, over the next year or two.

Post #324184  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:40 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
So you think we'll get the likes of Allegri, Ten Haag or Nagelsmann?, even they haven't really won 'big' trophies, we will be in the Europa again next season and given we blew a load of future transfer money this summer I can't see the appeal when it is clear the owner wont budge (in any respect), I expect us to be outspent by the majority of top 10 clubs in the league over the next few transfer windows.

No top manager is going to be interested in our tiresome and dreary project, we just have a negative owner. Anyway I've repeated myself enough here, sabatical time from Arsenal for me, might get semi interested again if Emery goes, then again might not, a bit like Kroenke I am just totally apathetic now, exactly what KSE deserve - an empty stadium next hopefully.

Hi Wilts. Look, I basically think the same of Kroenke as you and unlike some other critics of the KSE ownership regime, I’m far more suspicious of Josh than those who hope things will change radically when Stan pegs it. What’s the evidence? He goes to more games than Stan, I realise that. Sorry but he needs to do a lot more than that to convince me. His comments are very supportive of his father’s ownership regime. Sure, I wouldn’t expect him to say anything else. But I wouldn’t mind a comment or two to cling to at least some hope things could change.

However, I think Arsenal would still be able to get fine managers. Allegri is unemployed, Ten Haag is at Ajax and Nagelsmann is at Leipzig. I reckon all three at this point in their careers would jump at the chance of joining Arsenal, as would Mourinho have done.

Post #324185  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:09 am 

“My objective is going to be his comeback, to help us and convince every supporter of his commitment to us and [that] his performances will be better, and they will be proud of him in the short or long future with us,” Emery said.

Words, words, words ....... too many times, but yet you get the same old Xhaka

Post #324186  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:58 am 

Decaf wrote:
There is a difference between having a strong perspective (Rachel Maddow for example) and doing what the Republicans and Fox are doing which is ignoring anything that doesn't fit their narrative or calling it fake news.

Yesterday was a case in point. During the hearing Devin Nunes was shouting that CNN was fake news and had put up a headline that was misrepresenting what was happening. If you look at what CNN is saying you find this is not the case at all. There is a diversity of views about how damning Sondland's testimony was.

The fake news narrative and the lazy denigration of NYT, WsPo, CNN, al-Jazeera, etc. is completely irresponsible.

sign yourself in voluntarily they'll go easier with the treatment ..... Rachel Maddow " strong perspective " :laughing7: :laughing7: Laura Ingraham has five times the intelligence ...

"lazy denigration " ...... get your facts right ..I like Al Jazeera

Post #324187  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:09 am 

Gunfire wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: :laughing7: without a doubt the most stupid / biased news network on the planet ....

:tool:

:laughing7: Strangely ..... coming from a moron like yourself I find that quite reassuring .

Post #324188  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:34 am 

bromley gooner wrote:

Don't worry Brom ... here's how it will pan out .

Little honeymoon period ; results will pick up a new era will be hailed at Totting .....then a couple of months down the track ; after a loss at Newcastle , Norwich whatever Jose will blame Kane and Ali for not pulling their weight , asking the media how they ever played for England .... and things will turn to custard .

Meanwhile in the happier half of North London we'll still have Unai at the reins f**** things up royally .

Post #324189  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Little honeymoon period ; results will pick up a new era will be hailed at Totting .....then a couple of months down the track ; after a loss at Newcastle , Norwich whatever Jose will blame Kane and Ali for not pulling their weight , asking the media how they ever played for England .... and things will turn to custard .

Meanwhile in the happier half of North London we'll still have Unai at the reins f**** things up royally .

Let's hope you're right about Jose and wrong about Unai, Kiwi. I however remain worried as I think it's likely we'll stumble along going nowhere with Emery, and have a nasty feeling that a rested and reflective Mourinho is going to come back with some of his old vigour.

Post #324190  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:10 am 

I'll be very surprised if we get anything other than the usual dross tomorrow. If we fail to beat Soton, Emery shouldn't leave the ground as Arsenal manager.

Post #324191  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:10 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Let's hope you're right about Jose and wrong about Unai, Kiwi. I however remain worried as I think it's likely we'll stumble along going nowhere with Emery, and have a nasty feeling that a rested and reflective Mourinho is going to come back with some of his old vigour.

I also think he is working with a more talented squad than he had at Utd.

Post #324192  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:38 am 

Darren wrote:
I'll be very surprised if we get anything other than the usual dross tomorrow. If we fail to beat Soton, Emery shouldn't leave the ground as Arsenal manager.

Leno, Bellerin, Tierney, Sokratis, Luiz, Torriera, Guendouzi, Özil, Pépé, Lacazette, Aubamayang

I would still have lots of questions over the balance of the midfield and attack, and think there are upgrades required in central defence and midfield but that is probably the 11 most talented players available. They have to find a way to win against Southampton at home.

ps: play Torriera as a holding midfielder!

Post #324193  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:50 am 

Darren wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I also think he is working with a more talented squad than he had at Utd.

Not sure about that Darren. There are major structural problems with that Totts' squad - not the least being that three of their first choice back four are running down their contracts, as is their major creative talent.

Post #324194  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:21 am 

Included in the new labour manifesto. They are just clueless aren’t they.
Millions of hardworking Britons needs their help and they seem intent on virtue signalling quests for justice that help nobody.

I am gonna vote after all. Likely Green or less likely Lib Dem’s.

Attachments:

Post #324195  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 am 

Oddly, though we're playing like drains and levels of discontent are sky high again, all our recent fixtures have sold out well in advance of the match day, including - amazingly - the Europa Cup games.

Post #324196  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:26 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

sign yourself in voluntarily they'll go easier with the treatment ..... Rachel Maddow " strong perspective " :laughing7: :laughing7: Laura Ingraham has five times the intelligence ...

"lazy denigration " ...... get your facts right ..I like Al Jazeera

I was referring to the general tendency to describe those outlets as fake news. I know you like Al Jazeera.

Getting back to the point: which reasonably reputable outlet manages to put a positive spin on Putin?

Post #324197  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:31 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Millions of hardworking Britons needs their help and they seem intent on virtue signalling quests for justice that help nobody.

But how much harm could such an exercise do? Also, it is not mere virtue signalling. Diplomatic relations with African countries for example are pretty important to British interests this sort of things does go down well.

Post #324198  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:58 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But how much harm could such an exercise do? Also, it is not mere virtue signalling. Diplomatic relations with African countries for example are pretty important to British interests this sort of things does go down well.

How is it helping people really. Time has to move on without dwelling on stuff. Do you think this is a vote winner ? I think it makes them look a little looney.

Half the UK earns less than 28k a year, pretty much nothing. Is this what they want to hear.

I want to see my government run an effective economy, grow jobs and business and protect its citizens. How is stuff like this helping.

It’s just like labour saying they are pushing for unilateral nuclear disarmament. Great idea. Good luck with that guys now off you go and speak to Putin and see how far you get.

All this stuff is about giving themselves a great big lefty boner and nothing else

Post #324199  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:57 am 

kiwipete wrote:
f**** things up royally .
That phrase has a bit more meaning these days! Anyway, play this nice and loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0mQ1ojc9PQ

Post #324200  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am 

DHD wrote:
Oddly, though we're playing like drains and levels of discontent are sky high again, all our recent fixtures have sold out well in advance of the match day, including - amazingly - the Europa Cup games.

DHD I'm going to the Europa match next Thursday. It think the attraction of those fixtures is seeing Martinelli in action.

[ 390295 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8102, 8103, 8104, 8105, 8106, 8107, 8108 ... 9758  Next