Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests

Post #324041  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:50 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Whether Emery has lost the dressing room or not Darren, I don’t think it’s what current players should be doing.

I agree something they shouldn't be doing but thought processes dont come into it .........that's the way of the world these days Bernard

Modern youngsters clutching their cell phones ... it's like a form of life support

Clicking furiously Twitter , Twatter , Facebook , Instagram , Linkedin whatever

You have to be seen to be sending or receiving text messages 24/ 7 to be part of the " in crowd ".

You’re right. The younger population are obsessed with their phones. I realised it first when one of my daughters went away with her boyfriend on their first holiday. They’d been away together for a week, maybe a fortnight, so when she got home my wife (her mother) and me expected her to enthusiastically tell us what type of time she had, what sorts of things she did (excluding the sex obviously), whether she enjoyed herself, how things were with Arsenal (she’s a committed fan) and so on.

But no, she ignored us. She was permanently on her bloody mobile. We asked her what she was doing and she said texting her boyfriend, who she’d just been in constant contact with for over a sodding week on holiday. Sums things up.

Post #324042  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I agree something they shouldn't be doing but thought processes dont come into it .........that's the way of the world these days Bernard

Modern youngsters clutching their cell phones ... it's like a form of life support

You have to be seen to be sending or receiving text messages 24/ 7 to be part of the " in crowd ".

You’re right. The younger population are obsessed with their phones. I realised it first when one of my daughters went away with her boyfriend on their first holiday. They’d been away together for a week, maybe a fortnight, so when she got home my wife (her mother) and me expected her to enthusiastically tell us what type of time she had, what sorts of things she did (excluding the sex obviously), whether she enjoyed herself, how things were with Arsenal (she’s a committed fan) and so on.

But no, she ignored us. She was permanently on her bloody mobile. We asked her what she was doing and she said texting her boyfriend, who she’d just been in constant contact with for over a sodding week on holiday. Sums things up.

I agree wholeheartedly and long for the days before iPhones when we all had Nokia’s that were substantially thicker.

A mate of mine took his daughter who is 17 and her mate to Mexico for 2 weeks and said their phone usage was just preposterous. Sat around a Pool in a 5 star Mexican resorts with the scenery all around them and they are glued to their phones constantly.

Even at the dinner table they were snap chatting to mates back in the uk talking nonsense until he finally caved and told them to cut it out.

It’s not texting anymore or even Facebook which most kids hate because their parents are on it, now it’s snapchat and Instagram they use en masse and if you have a daughter who is quite pretty or takes after her mother then it must be a nightmare because she’s bound to be posting all manner of pictures on Instagram of herself ala Kim Kardashian et all and getting all sorts of wrong attention.

I work in the technology sector and even I think social media should be regulated further and further age restrictions put in place. It’s a sewer

Post #324043  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:24 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Whether Emery has lost the dressing room or not Darren, I don’t think it’s what current players should be doing.

I heard Noel Gallagher on the radio nailing this when he said something like .... social culture used to be what music you listened to, your culture, dress sense and beliefs however these days all social culture is is what device you have be it an iPhone or Samsung, that’s all period.

Sorry I know this makes me sound like a grumpy old git but couldn’t help but agree. It will be all better though when we are out of the EU

Post #324044  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:29 pm 

*Man shakes fist at cloud.

Post #324045  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:38 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You can’t have Bouldy he did little for England

True but I'm struggling to think of an alternative.
If he'd been granted more caps he wouldn't have let England down.

PS belated apology for questioning your honesty regarding Xhaka. I was in the wrong there.

Brom, Tommy Caton?

Post #324046  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
True but I'm struggling to think of an alternative.
If he'd been granted more caps he wouldn't have let England down.

PS belated apology for questioning your honesty regarding Xhaka. I was in the wrong there.

Brom, Tommy Caton?

Didn't think of him Andy - not sure I remember him being capped though - might be wrong. He just preceded Adams and Keown at Arsenal didn't he? Remember him partnering O'Leary.

Post #324047  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Brom, Tommy Caton?

Didn't think of him Andy - not sure I remember him being capped though - might be wrong. He just preceded Adams and Keown at Arsenal didn't he? Remember him partnering O'Leary.

Actually thinking about it....not sure he was capped while with us....probably got all his caps with Man City

Post #324048  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:12 pm 

Ignore me...according to Wiki he didn't play for senior team. Blame it on my advancing years.

Post #324049  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:44 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Ignore me...according to Wiki he didn't play for senior team. Blame it on my advancing years.

Tommy Caton died a few years ago. One of these days I must go through the players I’ve seen play for us who are no longer with us.

Oh well, here goes, in alphabetical order: Armstrong, Ball, Caton, Reyes, Roberts, Rocastle, Vaessen. There might be others but if there are I’ve either forgotten them or didn’t know of their passing.

Post #324050  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:08 pm 

Andy Green wrote:

...or one too many cheesesteak and soft pretzel.

Post #324051  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Did Rimmer ever play for England?

One cap versus Italy, while he was an Arsenal player.

And he was subbed at half-time with England losing 2-0.

No room in anyone's England XI for national-team stalwarts Jenkinson, Chambers, Gibbs and Jeffers?

Post #324052  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:31 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Ok boomer

Post #324053  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:26 am 

Darren wrote:
Seems Martinez is liking Emery Out posts on Instagram. As if we needed any further proof he’s lost the dressing room.

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/1194965515757850625?s=21

Arsenal goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez has denied liking an 'Unai Emery out' post as he claimed that his Instagram account was hacked.

https://futaa.com/article/197132/arsena ... y-out-post

Ahh ok - That explains it then. Nothing to see here folks, so you can move on.

Post #324054  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:42 am 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Ok boomer

Vomit.

Post #324055  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:50 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I like Warren but I think she might have that Al Gore factor about her.

Now that does put a new slant on peculiar ...... an Al Gore factor .... Mam Mia

Peculiar is multifaceted, Kiwi.

Post #324056  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
...There were no arsenal players in the 66 squad..
George Eastham, one of our finest midfielders.

Post #324057  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:15 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

16 teams qualified for the final stages of the '66 World Cup, split into 4 groups. There were just 352 players of whom only 8 played for clubs outside their respective countries.

Different times, eh?

Post #324058  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Gabbard, apart from being kind of hot, is a loony.

because she doesn't want to go to war with every other country on the planet or because she is a Russian asset

Hob nobbing with Putin is not a good look.

Post #324059  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:26 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Think I'm right he was in two World Cup squads without getting on the pitch, and that the only other English player to do that was Martin Keown.

Post #324060  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:29 am 

Bernard wrote:

Got to be honest I'm incredibly shocked that a teenager* would prefer to talk to her boyfriend than her parents.

Actually all the comments (not just here) about kids on the internet/whatever are exactly the same as what my Ma used to say to us when we were young about being on the phone to friends I'd seen that day.

* guessing her age here.

Post #324061  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 am 

If Emery spent as much time analysing and preparing for opposition weaknesses as he does their strengths then I wonder if it would make a difference.

Post #324062  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:55 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Got to be honest I'm incredibly shocked that a teenager* would prefer to talk to her boyfriend than her parents.

Actually all the comments (not just here) about kids on the internet/whatever are exactly the same as what my Ma used to say to us when we were young about being on the phone to friends I'd seen that day.

* guessing her age here.

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint."

- Hesiod, 8th century BC

But I must admit to being angered by the number of times people are sitting at a green light oblivious because they're on their phone. Or swerving around the motorway lanes because they're texting. It is obvious and dangerous.

Post #324063  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:49 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

* guessing her age here.

I work with children - oops, sorry, 'young people' - and can confirm to the forum that they are a massive pain in the arse.

Post #324064  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:29 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

* guessing her age here.

I work with children - oops, sorry, 'young people' - and can confirm to the forum that they are a massive pain in the arse.

It doesn't matter your age at all. What escapes most is that as long as you have a mobile smartphone, you're a targeted tracking device 24/7.

Post #324065  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
because she doesn't want to go to war with every other country on the planet or because she is a Russian asset

Always ready to help Gunfire ... if you look around you'll find CNN and the BBC aren't the only news sources in town ..broaden your horizons ....you might help shed the blinkers

Why not " hob nob " with Putin , the Russian economy is trundling along quite nicely and I'd venture Vladmir has more brains cells than Macron , Johnson , Merkel and Trump put together .

Post #324066  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:58 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Glad you corrected yourself there Brom ...... calling them children wouldn't have done at all .

My daughter works at a Poly Tech ; last week after recieving some help from three women ; she sent them an encompassing e mail

Thank You Ladies blah blah.... one of them took exception to the word lady and reported her .

She got a dressing down , told she should have used some neutral gender term .

Post #324067  Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:24 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

* guessing her age here.

The fact that he probably dropped her off five minutes beforehand shouldn't enter into it ....?

I've a lot of sympathy for your mother you've had layabout stencilled across your forehead from birth .

Given you collect everything Arsenal .. you probably have these but I'd post them at my expense .

If you want them PM me an address .... several of the yearbooks the covers are a little tired but otherwise good condition

All Arsenal yearbooks 1973 /74 thru to 1986 /87 minus 82 /83
Programmes..... 81 / 82 Arse v Man U 79/80 v Ipswich 79/80 v Southampton 1989 v West Ham v Stoke 80 /81 v Liverpool 80 /81

Cup Finals v Ipswich [ 2 ] v Man Utd v West Ham v Hull

Post #324068  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:16 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Glad you corrected yourself there Brom ...... calling them children wouldn't have done at all .

My daughter works at a Poly Tech ; last week after recieving some help from three women ; she sent them an encompassing e mail

Thank You Ladies blah blah.... one of them took exception to the word lady and reported her .

It's a load of old bollocks Kiwi, some people are desperate to be offended.

Post #324069  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:49 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Yep once stood back to allow a woman to enter a lift before me -?”don’t patronise me”. I didn’t have a comeback at the time.

Post #324070  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:52 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Why not " hob nob " with Putin , the Russian economy is trundling along quite nicely and I'd venture Vladmir has more brains cells than Macron , Johnson , Merkel and Trump put together .

Because he is a sleazy thuggish dictator. And the Russian economy is in the shitter https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... uble-41872

Post #324071  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:12 am 

Lot of speculation about our our players leaving in January. Torreira and Xhaka to Italy. Aubameyang to Spain etc

Wonder if we will see some movement

Post #324072  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:14 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Always ready to help Gunfire ... if you look around you'll find CNN and the BBC aren't the only news sources in town ..broaden your horizons ....you might help shed the blinkers

He also kills political opponents and journalists who oppose him and blows airliners full of innocent people out of the sky.

What a great guy

Post #324073  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:29 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Lot of speculation about our our players leaving in January. Torreira and Xhaka to Italy. Aubameyang to Spain etc

Wonder if we will see some movement

The only movement I want to see is Kroenke OUT, everything else is just a sh*t sideshow.

:20hospitals:

Post #324074  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:54 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

He also kills political opponents and journalists who oppose him and blows airliners full of innocent people out of the sky.

What a great guy

Yes, Kiwi, he's smart in a bond villain sort of way. But apart from that, which new sources are you looking at?

RT obviously (and who can blame them). I know the republicans are going along with whatever Trump says so perhaps Fox is softening on Putin?

But amongst News outlets that actually report news and do fact checking, which are saying that Putin is a good guy and that the Russian economy is doing fine?

Post #324075  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:38 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Yep once stood back to allow a woman to enter a lift before me -?”don’t patronise me”. I didn’t have a comeback at the time.

Driving and slowed right down to wave a lady / woman / gender neutral person across the road on Thursday. She/ he / it / they in a dangerous situation with trans and traffic on both sides.

Nothing. No thank you, no wave. Idiots and assholes are everywhere, everyday.

Post #324076  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:13 pm 

"Happiness is when you are satisfied with yourself and do not need the confirmation of others," he wrote.

Guess who wrote this?

Post #324077  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:16 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
"Happiness is when you are satisfied with yourself and do not need the confirmation of others," he wrote.

Guess who wrote this?

Prince Andrew ?

Post #324078  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Guess who wrote this?

Prince Andrew ?

The man who decided that staying in the residence of a convicted paedophile was an 'honourable' thing to do :icon_scratch:

Post #324079  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

What a great guy

:1laughter: ... Jesus how painful ..... by all means take the Sun as gospel and keep shooting from the hip Big Guy ... that is your forte .

" Shooting down airliners " .... try Googling the USS Vincennes ... any storm of outrage from you on that one .

Post #324080  Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Yes, Kiwi, he's smart in a bond villain sort of way. But apart from that, which new sources are you looking at?

RT obviously (and who can blame them). I know the republicans are going along with whatever Trump says so perhaps Fox is softening on Putin?

But amongst News outlets that actually report news and do fact checking, which are saying that Putin is a good guy and that the Russian economy is doing fine?

RT , Al Jazeera , Tru News , Fox News , Alexander Mercouris editor of the Duran , Chris Hedges , Ron Paul ,
Douglas Murray , Noam Chomsky , John Pilger

You , Gunfire and Top Gun seem to lap up whatever the mainstream media feeds you .

...... but take heart ; for you there is probably a smidgeon of hope the other two are definetly lost causes .

Top Gun wanted to start a nuclear war with Russia quarter of an hour after MH 17 crashed . :laughing7:

[ 390302 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8099, 8100, 8101, 8102, 8103, 8104, 8105 ... 9758  Next