Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: danny and 36 guests

Post #321801  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:54 pm 

See omoh, easy peasy draw. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #321802  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:01 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
But no win!

Post #321803  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:19 am 

Yellowquadrant wrote:
Grrrrr - time to skulk back to my cave and resume my never ending torment.

This is not good - replying to my own post. But shows the extent of my never ending fury. Anyway.....

Was at OT for that game and, from where I was sitting, was furious with Sol re the penalty.

On the horrible way home on the train, was with mate who was able to get Sky on his phone and we immediately (at about Stockport - what a dreadful dump) realised that Rooney had cheated.
Carriage full of Gooners and Cockney Reds. How it stayed relatively calm is still a mystery especially as we did our bit to share the footage with just about everyone around us.
Right, will post again in about ten years when I'm next allowed to watch it.[/quote]

I was at that game as well YG. I left seething but I never realised the full extent of the stitch up until I viewed a re-run some days later. I drove back with violent intent. Still have it. Bastrds.

Post #321804  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:40 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
But no win!

But no loss. :53big-emoticons:

Even during our imperious years, we were happy with coming away with a draw at OT. I doubt Liverpool or City would go there ahead of time and their fans be unhappy with a draw there.

Anyway, we performed above your expectations sir. Be happy!

Post #321805  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:57 am 

Emery is fast becoming a "disliked" man. More and more are questioning his true abilities. His tactics is bemusing. His conservative approach is sad. Very sad for someone who gave me lots of hope when he started last season. What is happening?

Post #321806  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 am 

Aubameyang was 3.3 metres onside last night! Last season that would have been disallowed. I can’t recall such a big margin of mistake on an offside for a long time, especially one where the linesman was perfectly positioned and the ball was played only a short distance and he only had the two players in his eye line that he needed to judge the offside. It was so bad

Post #321807  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:35 am 

So we’re 4th after 7 having played 3 of our toughest games of the season. I’d say we’re 4th due to the struggles of Man U, Chelsea and spurs. Anyway, looking at our next 9 fixtures in the league there is a massive opportunity to go on a run. The 5 home games are all must win. Then the 4 away are sheff Utd, Leicester, Norwich, West Ham. None of those are easy and with our away form we could easily be winless in all 4 but we should be looking at a minimum of 2 wins and 2 draws from those 4.
If we come out of the next 9 with at least 7 wins we should put some distance between us and the rest

Post #321808  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:36 am 

Don't think we were that bad last night, Old Trafford is a difficult ground and it turned out to be a pretty scrappy affair. Thought we looked more solid than we have for most of the season, but the creativity was lacking. Ceballos has been very hit and miss so far, but we need to get him involved soon with Özil seemingly in the doghouse.

Saka really is some talent, rose to the challenge and showed a lot of fight on top of his very obvious skill. We have a real player there.

Post #321809  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Aubameyang was 3.3 metres onside last night! Last season that would have been disallowed. I can’t recall such a big margin of mistake on an offside for a long time, especially one where the linesman was perfectly positioned and the ball was played only a short distance and he only had the two players in his eye line that he needed to judge the offside. It was so bad

The still images are perhaps a little unfair on the lino because Maguire is moving up quickly while Aubameyang is running towards the goal, but no way he should miss this. At least give the benefit of the doubt and let VAR sort it out, which is something we've seen implemented in pretty much every game so far.

Post #321810  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:47 am 

Rich wrote:

I think it was an example of the Lino abdicating his responsibility to VAR

Just a ludicrous decision.

Post #321811  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:17 am 

I think it is now clear that Emery is not the manager we hoped he would be. If we were proactive we'd be lining up his successor with a view to replacing him asap, even if that is mid-season.

Post #321812  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:19 am 

Willock should be starting. His energy and box to box abilities are desperately needed.

Post #321813  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:29 am 

I think Xhaka has to be left out now. His tackling is perhaps the clumsiest I've ever seen in a professional footballer.

Time to give others a go, but Emery seems to be obsessed with him.

Post #321814  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:30 am 

We cannot go on relying on Aubameyang to get us out of trouble. The lad deserves to be in a far better team.

Post #321815  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:40 am 

socrates wrote:
I think Xhaka has to be left out now. His tackling is perhaps the clumsiest I've ever seen in a professional footballer.

To be fair, I thought him and Guendozi had a good fighting performance last night, whereas Torreira was a complete passenger. Torreira just isn't suited to that forward role, he has good energy but no idea where to be or how to run.

I've mentioned it before, but that deep midfield position is for me our biggest concern after central defense. Guendozi, Willock and Ceballos shouldn't be playing there, because it limits what they're actually good at.

Both Xhaka and Torreira are pretty good in that role, but both have very obvious shortcomings too; Xhaka doesn't have the ability to manouver in tight spaces, and Torreira isn't good enough on the ball. For now I'd give Torreira a run there, but I don't have much hope we would improve much unless we make a signing.

Post #321816  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:46 am 

socrates wrote:

His tackling is one thing but his lack of mobility is something else.

I have no idea what Emery is doing with the midfield. At times yesterday Torreira was assuming positions of a second striker. It’s iust clueless

Post #321817  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I have no idea what Emery is doing with the midfield. At times yesterday Torreira was assuming positions of a second striker. It’s iust clueless

I think the idea is to win the ball higher up the pitch rather than in front of the back four, to put more pressure on the opponent. I like it in theory, but based on what we've seen so far it's not working out. We do too much individual pressing, rather than doing it with the whole team like Liverpool and City and it's causing problems because a single player pressing is easy to get past and just leaves us a man short when we defend.

Post #321818  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 am 

socrates wrote:
Willock should be starting. His energy and box to box abilities are desperately needed.

No he shouldn't. Doesn't look strong enough. Xhaka is here to stay in the midfield.

Post #321819  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:57 am 

bromley gooner wrote:

I'd say we have very good chance of top 4, and we'll contend in the Europa again. It's still only September.

I think we will on what I have seen.

Post #321820  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:10 am 

Gunfire wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I'd say we have very good chance of top 4, and we'll contend in the Europa again. It's still only September.

I think we will on what I have seen.

A big difference between us and at least United and Chelsea is that we have a lot more untapped potential, even if we haven’t looked impressive so far. Pépé and Ceballos have a lot more in their locker than they’ve shown so far, and players like Saka, Willock and possibly Nelson are just scratching the surface of their potential. I don’t see the same situation at all at United, and while Chelsea are expecting their young players to lead them we can integrate ours in a more natural way where they don’t have to be the difference makers every week.

Post #321821  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:11 am 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

No he shouldn't. Doesn't look strong enough. Xhaka is here to stay in the midfield.

You seriously want Xhaka to stay in the team?

I think Willock is stronger than he looks, based on the tackles he seems to win. He adds box to box capabilities and a goal threat that none of our other midfielders do.

Post #321822  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:35 am 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

Any midfield that doesnt contain at least 1 of Özil, ceballos or Willock is a midfield that simply won’t work. I’d possibly play even 2 of them.

Post #321823  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:37 am 

One thing that irked me last night, was that Rashford only got a yellow for that challenge against Sokratis. It had all the markers of a sending off; he came in late, with speed, got none of the ball and had his studs up. Very bad challenge.

Post #321824  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:48 am 

Imagine if Aubameyang got a long term injury. We would be so screwed

Post #321825  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:51 am 

Hazuki wrote:
One thing that irked me last night, was that Rashford only got a yellow for that challenge against Sokratis. It had all the markers of a sending off; he came in late, with speed, got none of the ball and had his studs up. Very bad challenge.

Also lindegard should have been booked in the first half and he would have got a second yellow.

Post #321826  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:14 am 

First letter is pretty hard to argue with and as mad as it seems I wouldn’t turn down Rogers right now

https://www.football365.com/news/fourth ... -emery-out

Post #321827  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
First letter is pretty hard to argue with and as mad as it seems I wouldn’t turn down Rogers right now

https://www.football365.com/news/fourth ... -emery-out

I actually quite fancied Rogers before we got Emery. I know he's not the big name foreigner that fans seem to crave and so most dismissed him as a viable candidate. He's not especially charismatic, but he has experience of the PL and his teams play expansive high tempo football. He also seems a non-nonsense type.
My only reservation would be whether he could attract the players but then again Raul and Edu & co seem to deal with transfers anway.

It is really academic though, as that ship has sailed.

Post #321828  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Indeed.

If I was Aubameyang I'd be looking to move somewhere that deserves his talents for the last few years of his career.

Am I right in saying he is yet to extend his contract?

Post #321829  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:12 am 

Hodd,

I notice you are on-line.

I am wondering why Martinelli does not feature in the U23 games. If he isn't getting regular game time in the PL wouldn't it seem sensible to help him continue to acclimatise to english football and maintain his match sharpness in the the u23s?

Post #321830  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Indeed.

If I was Aubameyang I'd be looking to move somewhere that deserves his talents for the last few years of his career.

Rumour was they agreed the contracts with Aubameyang and Lacazette but they are unsigned

Lacazette was rumoured to be insisting on an exit clause if a champions league club comes in for him.

Post #321831  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:05 am 

Rich wrote:
Let’s see what Pépé is like when he has Bellerin behind him

:laughing7: Now I don't want to be accused of being ultra negative like my offspring Granty Boy ..... but this is what sh**&^ts me about modern football

Pépé our new 70 million pound signing , who has to get his wages loaded on a small truck with a forklift and he puts a goal attempt into Row W .... thirty feet and climbing ...... above the goal

I thought FFS ***%%%% where did you learn to play the game ?

A leaning back Hail Mary .....f***&^ awful technique

I know all the modern young spunk bubbles will say " Give him time he's just bedding in blah blah blah " but on that showing I'd say he got less technique than Eddie Kelly .... Alan Sunderland and Charlie George would run rings around the useless Plank .

I stood on the North Bank for many a year and I don't remember anyone outside the ground getting hammered by a wayward football .

Pépé would take out the hamburger franchise at the entrance of Arsenal underground .

Post #321832  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Indeed.

Rumour was they agreed the contracts with Aubameyang and Lacazette but they are unsigned

Lacazette was rumoured to be insisting on an exit clause if a champions league club comes in for him.

I wouldn’t blame him for that.

Post #321833  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:58 am 

Call me ungrateful but a draw at OT was not enough to get me excited about this team. Guendouzi and Saka were pretty good. But this Utd team were here for the taking and we looked scared. Again no real domination and we didn't create much at all. Even if Willock came on in the 2nd half for Cellebos who I would have started. Our captain really annoys me and the slow box to box from most of our squad is terrible. I applaud Emery for giving youth a chance in this squad. But he is scared. In effect we have won 1 away game this season and continue to think a draw is our aim.

Maybe when we get a chance to see how good Tierney and Holding are in the team we will see some improvement. Personally i would be starting to talk to other managers just in case.

Post #321834  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:59 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I stood on the North Bank for many a year and I don't remember anyone outside the ground getting hammered by a wayward football . Pépé would take out the hamburger franchise at the entrance of Arsenal underground .
Love that! Good afternoon Kiwi - from one old guy to another old guy, I offer an old guy in an unusual setting. https://youtu.be/7pTFykWIUnM

Post #321835  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:05 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:
Let’s see what Pépé is like when he has Bellerin behind him

:laughing7: Now I don't want to be accused of being ultra negative like my offspring Granty Boy ..... but this is what sh**&^ts me about modern football

Pépé our new 70 million pound signing , who has to get his wages loaded on a small truck with a forklift and he puts a goal attempt into Row W .... thirty feet and climbing ...... above the goal

I thought FFS ***%%%% where did you learn to play the game ?

A leaning back Hail Mary .....f***&^ awful technique

I know all the modern young spunk bubbles will say " Give him time he's just bedding in blah blah blah " but on that showing I'd say he got less technique than Eddie Kelly .... Alan Sunderland and Charlie George would run rings around the useless Plank .

I stood on the North Bank for many a year and I don't remember anyone outside the ground getting hammered by a wayward football .

Pépé would take out the hamburger franchise at the entrance of Arsenal underground .

:laughing7:

Apparently when Pépé is playing those sitting in Row Z are advised that they do so at their own risk and are issued with crash helmets and other protective gear.

Although it would seem even those in Row Z were pretty safe last night.

Post #321836  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:13 pm 

Customs clearance zones eh

Kin hell. No negatives

Post #321837  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:18 pm 

On Pépé I think he’s not performing to the standard we want but he seems to need more direct coaching. He seems isolated and needs to do more running off the ball.

I also don’t think we help him by passing the ball straight at his chest rather than ahead of him.

I’d consider playing him Thursday. He needs to build confidence and dropping him won’t help him even if he is wiping out burgers stands

Post #321838  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Kin hell. No negatives

I'm disgusted mate, but I can't see the EU buying it. Hopefully the opposition get their act together and vote him out. Put Jeremy in and extend again. Then hopefully Labour's offer to the people will come through at a general election but I'm giving up hope in the English populace throwing that lot out.

Post #321839  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:28 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Kin hell. No negatives

I'm disgusted mate, but I can't see the EU buying it. Hopefully the opposition get their act together and vote him out. Put Jeremy in and extend again. Then hopefully Labour's offer to the people will come through at a general election but I'm giving up hope in the English populace throwing that lot out.

It’s appalling

What I don’t get is why they dont discuss the issue with the Irish PM Leo, brainstorm possible solutions then present a jointly agreed plan to the EU to comply with.

It’s just throwing crap at a wall hoping something would stick.

No chance of voting him out he’d win any election right now and many voters in England still believe he’s acting in their interests despite giving that American bint 100k for a shag basically. I’m not saying that girl was a pig but I was speaking to her brother Perky once and he told me that she’s had more balls bounced on her head than Kenny Dalglish.

Whole things a mess

Post #321840  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:29 pm 

Arsenal have committed 68 fouls this season and have 21 yellows. Liverpool have committed 61 and have 6.

Now I realise a lot of ours are the stupid Xhaka style pull back once the man is beaten but a yellow card every 3 fouls in nonsense. Too often we seem to get a yellow for the first foul while the opponents need 3-4 for a player before a yellow. Last night was a prime example. We don't even get the benefit at home

[ 390298 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8043, 8044, 8045, 8046, 8047, 8048, 8049 ... 9758  Next