Fixtures Sunday May 12th - Manchester United - Old Trafford - 4:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 47 guests

Post #321641  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:01 am 

gooner7 wrote:
So Emery is being smart, and doesn't want to be the person who takes the armband away from him.

If that was the case he could've just, you know...not given him the armband?

All these mental gymnastics we see just because fans can't bring themselves to accept that Emery simply rates Xhaka. And maybe, just maybe, Xhaka's critics are underestimating him a little because they get frustrated as soon as he misplaces a pass.

Post #321642  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
So Emery is being smart, and doesn't want to be the person who takes the armband away from him.

If that was the case he could've just, you know...not given him the armband?

All these mental gymnastics we see just because fans can't bring themselves to accept that Emery simply rates Xhaka. And maybe, just maybe, Xhaka's critics are underestimating him a little because they get frustrated as soon as he misplaces a pass.

You are right, I am negatively biased about Xhaka. Just as much as you are positively biased about him. :42laughter:

Freedom of speech & opinion ... nothing to lose sleep over. As he is now made Captain, I only look forward to him standing tall and making us proud. Prefer to see a much better Xhaka too. I did compliment him for his captain's role in the Frankfurt game. He just needs to bring more of such performances. Stop making that one silly error that leads to a morale-sapping goal. Going to support our named Captain from hereon (until .......................) :42laughter:

Post #321643  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:18 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Every week from now on we will vote a player off the team. A hat trick will get you immunity.

Ha ha, are you a big fan of the Survivor series?

Actually I hate the series but the way reality tv works I am surprised we didn’t sell the rights for the election of the captain. I could see Emery standing there turning over pieces of cardboard with the players nomination to a live tv audience.

Another commercial opportunity missed.

Post #321644  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 am 

One positive of Xhaka as a captain is that usually the next season they have left the club.

Post #321645  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:15 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
omoh, really?! Defeat?! Completely agree with you about us leaking goals. That's known and no one expects us to keep a clean sheet there, but given our recent form and theirs (which includes their own leaky defense), I can't see how you can be confident of defeat. Are you channeling your inner Mee (RIP)?
Yes I could be! More telling is the fact that we have only won 6 league games at Old Trafford in 40 years, the last time in September 2006! I really hope I am wrong but expect not to be.

Post #321646  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:24 am 

But a draw is not a bridge too far either. This is currently a poor performing Man Utd side. A draw is well within our present form.

Post #321647  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:23 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
omoh, really?! Defeat?! Completely agree with you about us leaking goals. That's known and no one expects us to keep a clean sheet there, but given our recent form and theirs (which includes their own leaky defense), I can't see how you can be confident of defeat. Are you channeling your inner Mee (RIP)?
Yes I could be! More telling is the fact that we have only won 6 league games at Old Trafford in 40 years, the last time in September 2006! I really hope I am wrong but expect not to be.

That's a fair point, there are no guaranteed wins at Old Trafford. That being said, this is the worst squad they've had since I started following Arsenal in the mid-90s, so it's been a long time since we had a better chance even if we haven't impressed much so far. We have a much better team on paper, and that's not a statement we could've made often in the last 30 years.

Post #321648  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:25 pm 

So Santi is bossing it in la Liga. Couldn't get him from a training table without injuring himself coming off it and having a great season in Spain. I'm happy for him but talk about our luck.

Post #321649  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:49 pm 

Effen lucky Liverpool. Thought the Blades would hang on. Oh well. I recall a loss for us there when they were managed by Warnock. I think 1-0. And Warnock was musing about the night, "...there was a nip in the air..." and some other words making the night out to be so special (well beating The Arsenal should be special).

On a sidenote, I recall a conversation in the pub I watched football in LA years ago with a fan from Yorkshire, specifically near Sheffield who said that some of the '80s bands who were kinda adrogynous came from Sheffield like ABC, Heaven 17, Human League, Thomson Twins, etc despite it being known as a very working class, union, city was because the way some of the teens rebelled was to be complete opposite of the tough, working class, iron factory reputation of the area. I found it hilarious at the time.

Post #321650  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:23 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Effen lucky Liverpool. Thought the Blades would hang on. Oh well. I recall a loss for us there when they were managed by Warnock. I think 1-0. And Warnock was musing about the night, "...there was a nip in the air..." and some other words making the night out to be so special (well beating The Arsenal should be special).

On a sidenote, I recall a conversation in the pub I watched football in LA years ago with a fan from Yorkshire, specifically near Sheffield who said that some of the '80s bands who were kinda adrogynous came from Sheffield like ABC, Heaven 17, Human League, Thomson Twins, etc despite it being known as a very working class, union, city was because the way some of the teens rebelled was to be complete opposite of the tough, working class, iron factory reputation of the area. I found it hilarious at the time.

Kudos to the Blades, they were attacking Pool without fear. Their movement was as swift as Pool. And they did not resort to rough tactics to get the ball.

Post #321651  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:32 am 

Seems like Sanchez had a debut for the ages at Inter, 2 goals, one ruled against him and then sent off.

Post #321652  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:00 am 

Everyone should read this from Per Mertesacker:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... nited.html

I can't say I'm shocked or even surprised but its a disgrace that one of the biggest professional football clubs in europe should be run in this way.

Players earning *%^@*** fortunes with absolutely zero accountability.

No criticism in the aftermath of an embarassing defeat just in case you hurt the poor little luvvies feelings.

Let's not talk about the thrashing or point any fingers because the poor little things might get upset.

Let's not allow them to read any newspaper reviews because those nasty press boys might say something hurtful.

It's a *%^@*** joke. No wonder we fell apart everytime we faced the slightest bit of adversity, we basically bred players with no backbone whatsoever.

Post #321653  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:10 am 

socrates wrote:

I can't say I'm shocked or even surprised but its a disgrace that one of the biggest professional football clubs in europe should be run in this way.

No criticism in the aftermath of an embarassing defeat just in case you heart the poor little luvvies feelings.

Let's not talk about the thrashing or point any fingers because the poor little things might get upset.

Let's not allow them to read any newspaper reviews because those nasty press boys might say something hurtful.

It's a *%^@*** joke. No wonder we fell apart everytime we faced the slightest bit of adversity, we basically bred players with no backbone whatsoever.

Surely one of the lowest moments I can recall as an Arsenal fan. Wenger should have resigned the morning after and any self respecting board of directors would have fired him.

A ridiculous line up and problems so evident and visible. A left back who played and was sold the very next day. So many average players. Cue a massive trolley dash. It was just incredible to think that it wasn’t the final straw and the malaise was allowed to continue.

Ferguson even offering pity for us in his post match interview.

Post #321654  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

No criticism in the aftermath of an embarassing defeat just in case you heart the poor little luvvies feelings.

Surely one of the lowest moments I can recall as an Arsenal fan. Wenger should have resigned the morning after and any self respecting board of directors would have fired him.

A ridiculous line up and problems so evident and visible. A left back who played and was sold the very next day. So many average players. Cue a massive trolley dash. It was just incredible to think that it wasn’t the final straw and the malaise was allowed to continue.

Bringing back our "luv" for that man :42laughter:

Post #321655  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:11 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

9 decent years then totally lost the plot practically walking around naked with his winkle hanging out.

For nostalgic reasons I just looked at the forum the day of that match and there was some funny comments.

Exiled having a go at everyone at half time for being so negative and other posters convincing themselves we were only losing because every united goal was a worldie rather than there being an underlying problem :laughing7:

Post #321656  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

9 decent years then totally lost the plot practically walking around naked with his winkle hanging out.

For nostalgic reasons I just looked at the forum the day of that match and there was some funny comments.

Exiled having a go at everyone at half time for being so negative and other posters convincing themselves we were only losing because every united goal was a worldie rather than there being an underlying problem :laughing7:

Not building on success, but selling top players, was the start of our decline. He over estimated the abilities of the youth coming through. And went out for bargain hunts which mostly turned out poor. Then he became stubborn about it. Stubbornness turned to arrogance when almost everyone was telling him his bets are all wrong.

Oh well, still can't forget him for spoiling so many of my Arsenal supporting years.

Post #321657  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not building on success, but selling top players, was the start of our decline. He over estimated the abilities of the youth coming through. And went out for bargain hunts which mostly turned out poor. Then he became stubborn about it. Stubbornness turned to arrogance when almost everyone was telling him his bets are all wrong.

Oh well, still can't forget him for spoiling so many of my Arsenal supporting years.

It really is a mixed bag of memories when it comes to Wenger. Some of the greatest moments, seasons and players in the history of the club, and some of the most deeply frustrating, embarrassing and unforgivable times as well.

Post #321658  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:05 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

It really is a mixed bag of memories when it comes to Wenger. Some of the greatest moments, seasons and players in the history of the club, and some of the most deeply frustrating, embarrassing and unforgivable times as well.

It really is.

That’s the tragedy of it. The wretched last 10 years over shadowed an incredible managerial performance for the first 10.

So many happy memories, a European cup final. Us! Titles, cups, away trips, Amazing players.

The 98 Newcastle cup final was one of the most happiest days I think in my life (bar birth of kids) our support was incredible that day and we had a brilliant day meeting up at Terry Neil’s place before heading off. I think I may have even ending up getting laid that night to top it all off. Chuck in a Fat guy in a red suit and it would have been Christmas.

I was reading his comments this week about managing United and felt the need to vomit. The thing about Wenger is despite some of the greatest achievements he still viewed the club that it was somehow his creation. Ferguson somehow seemed to respect the history of United however with Wenger I get the feeling he looks at Arsenal as a vehicle he created and resents what happened. He will divide opinion and the real sadness was just that he went on too long.

Post #321659  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

The thing about Wenger is despite some of the greatest achievements he still viewed the club that it was somehow his creation. Ferguson somehow seemed to respect the history of United however with Wenger I get the feeling he looks at Arsenal as a vehicle he created and resents what happened. He will divide opinion and the real sadness was just that he went on too long.

I agree. Wenger had an arrogance which said 'don't even question me, I know it all' which left a bad taste as the second half of his reign crawled excruciatingly from disappointment to disappointment. I was one of those lucky enough to experience the fantastic years of George's two titles, and his fantastic group of young guns. Arsene's great sides weren't the only great sides in our history!! I can no longer look back with the kind of respect and fondness I should have for Wenger. If only he'd moved on years earlier.

Post #321660  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:00 pm 

Actual video of Xhaka being voted by the team as Captain and King in the North (London)

Post #321661  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:03 pm 

socrates wrote:

No criticism in the aftermath of an embarassing defeat just in case you hurt the poor little luvvies feelings.

:53big-emoticons:

Post #321662  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:04 pm 

The same man coached the Invincibles, so what changed? We had a big loss to Man Utd at Old Trafford under the great side as well. The difference is those players were made of sterner stuff.

Post #321663  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:12 pm 

Must be financially related but who would take on his wages in a loan deal?
The few clubs that would possibly interested that I can think of are PSG, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, who else? Given his wages?
https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/a ... 73343.html

Post #321664  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:34 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Wow. The 'glass half empty' brigade is out in force tonight!

I prefer to remember Wenger and the most successful and most exciting manager we have had in the last 80 years. In my time (i.e. since the mid-late 1970s), we've been pretty mediocre except for his and Graham's spells, and his spell was more sustained and consistent. Graham produced one superlative season (91) which was easily topped by Wenger topped (04) and arguably matched (02, which was a far greater achievement than the 94 CWC, given that Liverpool and United were excellent that season). Wenger kept us at a high level for more than a decade. Both went very badly stale, but Graham left us in much worse shape than Wenger ... we were awful in the mid-90s.

Post #321665  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:30 pm 

Decaf wrote:

I prefer to remember Wenger and the most successful and most exciting manager we have had in the last 80 years. In my time (i.e. since the mid-late 1970s), we've been pretty mediocre except for his and Graham's spells, and his spell was more sustained and consistent. Graham produced one superlative season (91) which was easily topped by Wenger topped (04) and arguably matched (02, which was a far greater achievement than the 94 CWC, given that Liverpool and United were excellent that season). Wenger kept us at a high level for more than a decade. Both went very badly stale, but Graham left us in much worse shape than Wenger ... we were awful in the mid-90s.
I am glad you posted that twice! Some beds will be wet.

Post #321666  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:39 pm 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Please stop with this nonsense that Graham left us with a much worse side than Wenger left us with. I know which defence and goalkeeper I preferred to be left with. Yep not much talent in the Graham midfield but want to look at how most of the midfielders Wenger left us with we’re not good enough and we have moved most of them on. And as for resilience, I think Grsham’s Side are well ahead. Plus have a look at wages we were welded to. Do a comparison as to what was normal at the time.

Wenger left us with players who are not resilient and can’t be moved because of simply silly wages. How long do you think Walcott would have lasted under Graham or would Wilshire & That polish keeper have smoked after George told them not to. But if discipline in the club would not go astray.

Post #321667  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:19 am 

Seems Liverpool may have fielded an ineligible player in their Carabao Cup win over M K Dons. Pedro Chrivella.

Post #321668  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:57 am 

It is not Graham vs Wenger. That is not the comparison. The highs of Wenger definitely surpassed those of the Graham era. It is the final decade of Wenger which is the "bed-wetter" :42laughter:

Post #321669  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:11 am 

gooner7 wrote:
It is not Graham vs Wenger. That is not the comparison. The highs of Wenger definitely surpassed those of the Graham era. It is the final decade of Wenger which is the "bed-wetter" :42laughter:

No comparison between Graham and Wenger.
The former brought us back to domestic greatness. The latter to international promenance.

Wenger's positives vastly outweighed his negatives. Never lower than 6th at his worst. Phenominal. And still won cups.

Fans...anazing.

Post #321670  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:07 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

No comparison between Graham and Wenger.
The former brought us back to domestic greatness. The latter to international promenance.

Wenger's positives vastly outweighed his negatives. Never lower than 6th at his worst. Phenominal. And still won cups.

Fans...anazing.

Well during the Graham years you were supporting the Chattanooga Choochoos or some such team in the American version of Egg Chasing, so you're not best placed to comment.
For us Arsenal fans seeing a team with the home grown players like Adams, Rocky, Davis etc win at Anfield 89 and dominate the league in 91 was pretty special. Right up there with Wenger's best years for me.

Post #321671  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:20 am 

DHD wrote:
Seems Liverpool may have fielded an ineligible player in their Carabao Cup win over M K Dons. Pedro Chrivella.

That could be interesting. Could we get a bye, or it’d be more fair for whoever Liverpool beat to go through to play us.

Post #321672  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:24 am 

I could definitely see Man Utd moving for Poch

https://www.foxsports.ph/football/premi ... placement/

Post #321673  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:20 am 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:

That could be interesting. Could we get a bye, or it’d be more fair for whoever Liverpool beat to go through to play us.

I'm actually looking forward to facing them. No doubt their first eleven is miles ahead of us at the moment, but the team we fielded against Nottingham versus the team Liverpool started against M K Dons is another thing. Could be an interesting game, and a very big boosts for our youngsters if we would win. The game is right between two league fixtures for both teams, so I wouldn't expect many first choice players to be involved.

Post #321674  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 am 

United are currently a pale shadow of some of their former sides and their form is poor. However given our own form I have no expectations of a win tonight.

Old Trafford is always a tough place to win, as OMOH pointed out, and I expect Emery will come up with some stupid negative tactic that won't work.

Our back four is far too porous although if Tierney plays we might see it slightly less open down the left side.

I think it would need a Villa-like performance from Guendouzi and a finishing masterclass from Aubameyang to get us a win and I think it is a very tough ask to expect Guendouzi to produce another herculean display, especially at OT.

Post #321675  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:27 am 

socrates wrote:
United are currently a pale shadow of some of their former sides and their form is poor. However given our own form I have no expectations of a win tonight.

There’s almost too much going against Manchester United at the moment. Poor transfer summer, squad filled with holes, a manager who hasn’t shown anything to suggest he belongs at this level, they’re potentially missing their only three attacking players of real quality…wish I could feel more confident going into this game. With the same attitude and belief we saw against Tottenham, and perhaps without the defensive cock-ups, we should win this.

Post #321676  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:30 am 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I agree with some sentiment here but can’t agree that George left us in worse shape than Arsene.

George left, seaman, winterburn, Adams, Bould, Keown, Merse, Wright, Dixon, Parlour

Arsene left, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Bellerin and tons of inadequate players on huge contracts that can’t be moved.

This is the reason whilst having some doubts now about Emery I can’t give him too hard a time. It’s a complete rebuild required and even that’s not complete yet.

Post #321677  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:04 am 

socrates wrote:

Old Trafford is always a tough place to win, as OMOH pointed out, and I expect Emery will come up with some stupid negative tactic that won't work.

Our back four is far too porous although if Tierney plays we might see it slightly less open down the left side.

I think it would need a Villa-like performance from Guendouzi and a finishing masterclass from Aubameyang to get us a win and I think it is a very tough ask to expect Guendouzi to produce another herculean display, especially at OT.

If we don't get something out of this game, the board should come out and tell the press they have every confidence in Emery as manager. They can then start the recruitment process the following day.

Post #321678  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:18 am 

Arsenal squad on the new fifa is *%^@

Our left backs have no decent rating and Xhaka is literally a snail

Post #321679  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:21 am 

Not looking forward to the game but you’ll never get a better moment to play United.

I hope we don’t line up too conservatively and we drop our captain

Post #321680  Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 am 

socrates wrote:

Is there any club in the league who expect to win at OT? Would Liverpool or City fans expect a win if they were playing there this week?

I'm kinda surprised people are talking win at OT. I think a good result for us is a draw. With some luck maybe a win. A loss wouldn't surprise me (nor should it anyone) given our defense and the players they have who can score.

They will be up for us. We are one of 3 clubs they always get up for. I predicted a scoring draw, 1 or 2 each and still see that as the most likely result unless either club is playing worse than usual or out of their skin.

[ 390583 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8039, 8040, 8041, 8042, 8043, 8044, 8045 ... 9765  Next