Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests

Post #321201  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:24 pm 

Why did we switch from the suicidal goal kick routines?

Was it because of a different keeper, or would that have happened anyway?

Post #321202  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:20 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Why isn't he playing Martinelli? He looked good preseason and this game was made for him.

Thought the same thing myself, and keeping Aubameyang on for 90 minutes when he’s our most important player atm seems a little risky. I guessed balance wise we don’t have another striker with any minutes.

Post #321203  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Emery seems to think clearer in the Europa; but then the level is that much lower. I kept thinking gosh the Bundesliga must be weaker than I thought, they were so wide open and had a terrible night in front of goal. They somehow lost to that line up 3-0 at home. I think we have a reputation in europe we clearly don’t have domestically.

Post #321204  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Leno has turned himself into an exceptional keeper in my view and I think should stay as the first choice, at least for now. But Martinez looked bloody good and I’m so pleased Ospina has gone, meaning Martinez will be the cup keeper now Čech has retired.

Martinez, Zaka and Willock all enhanced their reputations. However, Smith Rowe didn’t take his chance tonight. I’ve expressed my doubts about him before. Sadly every time I watch him, I see nothing to make me change my mind. Well done to Mustafi as well. He had a good game.

I agree on all points. Apart from your misspelling of Saka. Took me a while to realise who you where talking about; my brain kept reading Zaha. I think Leno is great and certainly not a problem at all. Martinez played really well but they rarely really got hold of the shots on target.

Also sadly I have to agree about your assessment of Smith-Rowe. He looked weak on the ball and lost it a lot in our half trying to play out of trouble. I’d say he’s still got some time but he clearly needs it and needs to use it well, he looked better last year.

Post #321205  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:38 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Leno has turned himself into an exceptional keeper in my view and I think should stay as the first choice, at least for now. But Martinez looked bloody good and I’m so pleased Ospina has gone, meaning Martinez will be the cup keeper now Čech has retired.

Martinez, Zaka and Willock all enhanced their reputations. However, Smith Rowe didn’t take his chance tonight. I’ve expressed my doubts about him before. Sadly every time I watch him, I see nothing to make me change my mind. Well done to Mustafi as well. He had a good game.

I agree on all points. Apart from your misspelling of Saka. Took me a while to realise who you where talking about; my brain kept reading Zaha. I think Leno is great and certainly not a problem at all. Martinez played really well but they rarely really got hold of the shots on target.

Also sadly I have to agree about your assessment of Smith-Rowe. He looked weak on the ball and lost it a lot in our half trying to play out of trouble. I’d say he’s still got some time but he clearly needs it and needs to use it well, he looked better last year.

The same could be said of Saka. Lost a lot of challenges. Made up for it in perception and decision making and of course the goal.

Post #321206  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:02 am 

Emery out! :42laughter:

Post #321207  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:59 am 

long time gooner wrote:

:laughing7:

Im praying it's the latter and the outcome provides all the encouragement necessary to continue mixing it up.

Post #321208  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 am 

long time gooner wrote:

It was interesting to see where the ball ended up from the longer kicks. I noticed on plenty of occasions the big kick was headed back by their defence and we picked up the second ball somewhere near the half way line. Surely emery can see the risk/reward of this vs what we did against Watford.
We don’t need to play it long every time, but the we’re not taking the advantages that a short goal kick offers, short goal kicks need to be taken quickly not letting the opposition spend 30 seconds getting perfectly set up in their pressing formation. That’s too easy for the opponents to know exactly what they have to do.

Post #321209  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:15 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Ash wrote:

The same could be said of Saka. Lost a lot of challenges. Made up for it in perception and decision making and of course the goal.

Perhaps but that’s a lot of upside and I thought otherwise he was mostly neat and tidy. For the assist for Nelson he received the ball on the turn played the pass that was on and Nelson did really well. Emile I thought generally struggled. I like Smith-Rowe and thought he looked good when he got those few goals for us, where Bernard was a bit more circumspect, but now I can’t really disagree on that performance. It’s his first competitive game after a long time out so you could absolutely give him that.

Post #321210  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:44 am 

Rich wrote:
Martinez was excellent in goal. Good saves and such assured handling, I was very impressed.

As was I. Was he being in goals responsible for more variety in kick outs or was Emery?

Post #321211  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:45 am 

Ash wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Perhaps but that’s a lot of upside and I thought otherwise he was mostly neat and tidy. For the assist for Nelson he received the ball on the turn played the pass that was on and Nelson did really well. Emile I thought generally struggled. I like Smith-Rowe and thought he looked good when he got those few goals for us, where Bernard was a bit more circumspect, but now I can’t really disagree on that performance. It’s his first competitive game after a long time out so you could absolutely give him that.

Also, is wide right Smith-Rowe's best position. From when I've seen him he's been more central or coming in on to his right foot from a wide left starting position. Emery said after the game about his long injury last year and he will need more time. Too early to write him off, the german teams are certainly keen on him.
There is very little chance that all of AMN, Nelson, Willock, Nkeitiah, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe properly 'make it' with Arsenal - but giving them this exposure will improve them and improve and improve their fee

Post #321212  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:09 am 

Bernard wrote:

Morning Bern,

I'm not sure he quite at the exceptional level just yet, he's an exceptional shot stopper with great reflexes but his one achilles heel is his inability to deal well with crosses and corners. Still a bit too much of a flapper in those situations.

Post #321213  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:48 am 

Came across this in Western Fjords of Iceland last week.

Attachment:

Post #321214  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:51 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Morning Bern,

I'm not sure he quite at the exceptional level just yet, he's an exceptional shot stopper with great reflexes but his one achilles heel is his inability to deal well with crosses and corners. Still a bit too much of a flapper in those situations.

I think any problems Leno has with crosses is often exaggerated. Think of Ospina. Leno is a mix between Pat Jennings and Manuel Neuer at their respective peaks on crosses compared to him. Great shot stopper, fine distribution and more than adequate when the ball is in the air in the box is how I see Leno. Yep, I’m happy to call him exceptional.

Post #321215  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:55 am 

What impressed me most about Saka last night, was that I actually thought he struggled a bit in the first half. He was involved a lot, but nothing he tried seemed to come off right, and he looked a bit nervous. That made his second half contribution even more impressive in my book. It's easy for a young player to start hiding when things aren't going well, but he just kept at it and in the end he was the one who made the difference. Extremely impressive considering he turned 18 just two weeks ago.

Post #321216  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
What impressed me most about Saka last night, was that I actually thought he struggled a bit in the first half. He was involved a lot, but nothing he tried seemed to come off right, and he looked a bit nervous. That made his second half contribution even more impressive in my book. It's easy for a young player to start hiding when things aren't going well, but he just kept at it and in the end he was the one who made the difference. Extremely impressive considering he turned 18 just two weeks ago.

I think that is a good summary.

Post #321217  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:33 am 

Martinez was solid between the sticks. He made the saves you expect of a good keeper. No mistakes, kept it tight. He raised his own stock with that performance.

Post #321218  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 am 

socrates wrote:
Cracking win in a hostile astmosphere.

Load of chances at both ends, could have been any score.

Martinez, Willock and Saka the stand-outs for me.

Soc, has one of the most discerning, critical eye (and its NOT meant as criticism) regarding The Arsenal so when he is that impressed, it says something.

Post #321219  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:44 am 

I don't know if we are a different side in Europe. There is compelling evidence to suggest that since we went all the way to the final, showed some character up to the final (we won't talk about the collapse against Chelsea) while at the same not playing well in the league. Perhaps we would have won had it been a non PL side in the final, even of the same quality.

I don't know if we are a different side. It could be the PL is such a tough league, the competition in the Europa Cup pales to some extent in comparison. The only two PL sides in the competition met each other in the final. Also, the top 4 clubs in the CL made it far enough where they no longer could drop to the Europa cup. In fact, all the PL sides made it into the quarter finals.

So, it could be the league is the toughest in the world. And the Europa is a much easier competition in comparison. The Frankfurt win is huge though, as they were semi finalists last season and could have faced us in the final.

Post #321220  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:59 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I think that is a good summary.

I agree.

Post #321221  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:06 pm 

Now that we have offloaded some of the expensive deadwood it’s great to see so many young players getting games. Do you reckon Mhikitaryan would have scored 1 and got 2 assists last night ?

That was an incredible cameo by Saka. Wonder if he will start seeing more game time.

I’m starting to have my doubts about emery but yesterday’s team selection was bold.

For the first time in years we have decent players coming through and isn’t it brilliant to watch Willock, Saka and Nelson get games rather than El nenny and that united cast off

Post #321222  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:36 pm 

Saka on Ljungberg: "He helps so much. Sometimes when I don’t understand what the coach [Emery] is trying to communicate with me, I have a better communication with Freddie. He speaks better English"

Post #321223  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Saka on Ljungberg: "He helps so much. Sometimes when I don’t understand what the coach [Emery] is trying to communicate with me, I have a better communication with Freddie. He speaks better English"

But how does Freddie know what Unai is saying so that he can pass it on? Or does Freddie speak Spanish?

Or - heresy - is Freddie providing his own direction?

Post #321224  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:29 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
Cracking win in a hostile astmosphere.

Load of chances at both ends, could have been any score.

Martinez, Willock and Saka the stand-outs for me.

Soc, has one of the most discerning, critical eye (and its NOT meant as criticism) regarding The Arsenal so when he is that impressed, it says something.

Or, in other words, I'm a miserable git who is always moaning :laughing7:

Post #321225  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:33 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't know if we are a different side in Europe. There is compelling evidence to suggest that since we went all the way to the final, showed some character up to the final (we won't talk about the collapse against Chelsea) while at the same not playing well in the league. Perhaps we would have won had it been a non PL side in the final, even of the same quality.

I don't know if we are a different side. It could be the PL is such a tough league, the competition in the Europa Cup pales to some extent in comparison. The only two PL sides in the competition met each other in the final. Also, the top 4 clubs in the CL made it far enough where they no longer could drop to the Europa cup. In fact, all the PL sides made it into the quarter finals.

So, it could be the league is the toughest in the world. And the Europa is a much easier competition in comparison. The Frankfurt win is huge though, as they were semi finalists last season and could have faced us in the final.

The Europa League is generally much easier until you get to the knock-out phases. The odd game away from home can be tricky but the early rounds ought to be the place where the kids can gain valuable experience.

Post #321226  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Now that we have offloaded some of the expensive deadwood it’s great to see so many young players getting games. Do you reckon Mhikitaryan would have scored 1 and got 2 assists last night ?

That was an incredible cameo by Saka. Wonder if he will start seeing more game time.

I’m starting to have my doubts about emery but yesterday’s team selection was bold.

For the first time in years we have decent players coming through and isn’t it brilliant to watch Willock, Saka and Nelson get games rather than El nenny and that united cast off

It's great isn't it, although I'm surprised Emery played so many kids in this particular game.

Post #321227  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But how does Freddie know what Unai is saying so that he can pass it on? Or does Freddie speak Spanish?

Or - heresy - is Freddie providing his own direction?

Apparently the club employs 3 ex secret service lip readers as part of the coaching staff who listen to Emery’s instructions then using a rare technique of understanding speech by visually interpreting the movements of the lips, face and tongue when normal sound is not available translate it to the players and staff so they know what they are doing.

Post #321228  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:14 pm 

Spurs have released a book about their champions league run called ‘one step from glory’

Post #321229  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:19 pm 

socrates wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Or, in other words, I'm a miserable git who is always moaning :laughing7:

Haha...actually, quite the opposite. One of the few people's posts I actually look for. Always need a sober minded view of things.

Post #321230  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs have released a book about their champions league run called ‘one step from glory’

Well let’s hope they are looking back in ten years time talking about the last time they had a chance to win anything at all.

Post #321231  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:26 pm 

Tierney and Bellerin played 62 minutes for the U23 tonight

Post #321232  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:48 am 

Rich wrote:
Tierney and Bellerin played 62 minutes for the U23 tonight

Great news!

Post #321233  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Ooooh, that might put Saka in the bad books of Emery :42laughter: Although it is true about Emery's English communication, it is not discernible.

Post #321234  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:37 am 

Interesting story that broke yesterday, Liverpool were accused of hacking in to man city’s Scouting database back in 2012, in cans out yesterday that Liverpool paid city £1m over the incident but didn’t accept any wrongdoing

Post #321235  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Apparently the club employs 3 ex secret service lip readers as part of the coaching staff who listen to Emery’s instructions then using a rare technique of understanding speech by visually interpreting the movements of the lips, face and tongue when normal sound is not available translate it to the players and staff so they know what they are doing.

In which case I wish that Sky would hack into that for the tv interviews. :laughing7:

Post #321236  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:42 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

In which case I wish that Sky would hack into that for the tv interviews. :laughing7:

He basically needs that thing Stephen Hawking used. Sorted

Post #321237  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

How many of our regular first team have English as their first language? Tierney, AMN (although he won’t be when Bellerin is fit), probably Holding. Chambers is part of the squad, and Willock will play plenty of games (my guess is more than Nelson). I think Saka, despite his excellent second half in Frankfurt, is still quite some way from being a regular first team player, and Smith Rowe is even further away.

Out of that lot, when everyone is 100% fit, I’d say Tierney is the only guaranteed starter for a vital game, although Holding has a very good chance. Is the coach being fluent in English as important as it once was, even if it’s frustrating for fans listening to interviews?

Post #321238  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

How many of our regular first team have English as their first language? Tierney, AMN (although he won’t be when Bellerin is fit), probably Holding. Chambers is part of the squad, and Willock will play plenty of games (my guess is more than Nelson). I think Saka, despite his excellent second half in Frankfurt, is still quite some way from being a regular first team player, and Smith Rowe is even further away.

Out of that lot, when everyone is 100% fit, I’d say Tierney is the only guaranteed starter for a vital game, although Holding has a very good chance. Is the coach being fluent in English as important as it once was, even if it’s frustrating for fans listening to interviews?

Yes it’s absolutely essential

He needs to communicate on a level the fans and media can see he’s a solid decision maker, in control and be assured in his ability to do his job. If he can’t do that then all I’ll say is that football is an unforgiving business.

To be honest if he can’t get to that level I don’t think he will be around long and his placid interviews after games contribute to the overall thinking of many people who aren’t convinced by him

Post #321239  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:53 am 

:20hospitals:
TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He needs to communicate on a level the fans and media can see he’s a solid decision maker, in control and be assured in his ability to do his job. If he can’t do that then all I’ll say is that football is an unforgiving business.

To be honest if he can’t get to that level I don’t think he will be around long and his placid interviews after games contribute to the overall thinking of many people who aren’t convinced by him

Didn’t seem to do Pochettino’s reputation much harm when it took him ages to give an interview in English. I’d say Emery has made a bigger effort to learn the language more quickly than he did.

Post #321240  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:03 am 

Bernard wrote:
:20hospitals:
TOP GUN wrote:

Didn’t seem to do Pochettino’s reputation much harm when it took him ages to give an interview in English. I’d say Emery has made a bigger effort to learn the language more quickly than he did.

Pochettino got some decent results. His English is now excellent and had to deal with a fan base with minimal expectations and intelligence

[ 390308 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8028, 8029, 8030, 8031, 8032, 8033, 8034 ... 9758  Next