Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, bubblechris, Lincoln gooner, warrior and 62 guests

Post #363361  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 pm 

Not much on tv so I tuned into Motherwell Rangers. While I generally think Scottish football is rubbish - this is a good game & real end to end with a few rough tackles thrown in. 2-3 at halftime.

Post #363362  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:32 pm 

I agree that Emery should have attended to the defense first. It was glaring that it was the part of the squad that was in most need of attention and repair. He did make defensive minded signings. I think he didn't realize how deep the issue was and for the remainder we are stuck with the defense we have till the next transfer window.

Post #363363  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:59 pm 

Since the beginning of 2017, Özil has been ‘sick’ seven times.

I bet if he worked for Walmart, such persistent absenteeism would justify investigation - or the sack!

Post #363364  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:44 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
I don't know if you watched the game live, Haz, but in the first half everytime West Ham broke they were in behind us down the flanks and really ought to have scored more goals.

I did watch it live, and I just don't think that's a fair representation of what happened. For their best chances (Arnautovic hitting the side-netting and Snodgrass being played through for a one-on-one) and for the goal we had enough people on the right side of the ball to deal with the situation. We just failed to close them down properly. That was more about communication than anything for me. Also has to be said, I think Čech should've done better for the goal.

Its odd that no one has mentioned that last point. Čech did look very slow.

But I got the same impression as Soc. They seemed to be able to play through us quite easily and I did think this was down to the full backs being out of position and lack of cover from midfield. The centrebacks were ok.

Post #363365  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:58 pm 

These 2, Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang, should be setting the pace for the team. But both are not playing anywhere near their best form. What is happening? Is Emery's tactics not suited to them?

Post #363366  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 pm 

I can't connect with Özil. Can't warm to the guy. Obviously nothing to do with his talent or ability but I just feel very removed from him. Which I never did with players in the past. Give me a peak Santi over him anyday.

Post #363367  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:27 pm 

Özil has always had a rep for being a bit "sensitive". There is no doubting his talent but he's a player that a manager must know how to 'man manage'.

The last time we saw the sensitivity was the German national team row regarding his Turkish roots. Granted, I think he was unfairly treated to some extent and a scapegoat or sorts for the bad showing of the national team but he did protest a bit much.

We missed him in the West Ham game. There were a few occasions I thought his passing was missed. However, if it comes down to him and Emery, it's Emery obviously. Not that there its an either/or. The manager wins.

I don't know when his contract ends but if he pushes for a transfer and Ramsey goes as well in January its a big hit.

Post #363368  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:35 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I agree that Emery should have attended to the defense first. It was glaring that it was the part of the squad that was in most need of attention and repair. He did make defensive minded signings. I think he didn't realize how deep the issue was and for the remainder we are stuck with the defense we have till the next transfer window.
Yes, he has brought in a youngish international keeper, two experienced international defenders and a youthful and impressive Uruguayan international defensive midfielder. At the moment it is not the quality of his signings, more the system of play that is pretty scary.

Post #363369  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:44 pm 

Darren wrote:
I can't connect with Özil. Can't warm to the guy. Obviously nothing to do with his talent or ability but I just feel very removed from him. Which I never did with players in the past. Give me a peak Santi over him anyday.
I know what you mean Darren. We used to call Dennis 'The Iceman', both for his cool play and a slight aloofness of character, but he was one of the crowd compared to Özil, who can seem very detached. Some allowance should be given to all the fuss attached to his German intternational situation? There are few artists in the game today, so I love what Özil can do, and I always want Arsenal to have a player with his supreme passing skills. At his best he is worth the ticket money alone, as was Santi. And, of course, Freddie...

Post #363370  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:42 pm 

socrates wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Well said Bernard. Excellent points clearly made.

Wenger has certainly left us a legacy and even though it's early days I am beginning to wonder if Emery is going to be able to pull us out of this mess.

Actually we got what I wanted, a tactician to make the right decisions so I shouldn't complain but I did expect him to sort out the defence and it looks unlikely he will.

It's quite odd, everyone expected that with Emery's alleged attention to detail and tactical nous he would focus on the defence and actually get us more organised, disciplined and positionally aware. In short, make us much harder to play against. At the moment it appears the opposite has happened, our fullbacks appear even more gung-ho than under Wenger leaving huge gaps in behind them and our centrebacks are asked to play a highline which they are ill-equipped for. It's a recipe for disaster and West Ham could have scored five in the first half alone.

Bellerin was basically playing as a right winger and whilst his cutbacks and final balls appear to be improving he is leaving enormous gaps defensively which opponents are readily exploiting on the counter. Monreal is not a lot better in terms of positioning either.

The points Alan Shearer has made are correct, with the lack of protection down the sides and in front of them it's almost an impossible task for Mustafi and Sokratis (not that I rate either of them particularly).

If we a player like Kante, with his speed around the pitch and ability to read the game and plug gaps, it might be less of an issue. Torreira may the player to provide that protection but its too early to judge.

We do look a mess.

The biggest plus is Emery's willingness to make early substitutions.

I think Emery is on a hiding to nothing. People judging him after 3 games. He’s got no chance

He has probably 4 performers under 30 who are able to retain an element of consistency in their game in Bellerin, Aubameyang, Mickey Tarragon and Lacazette. Outside of those 4 the rest turn up 40% of the time I reckon with many over 30 or approaching it.

Post #363371  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:54 pm 

Chelsea and Liverpool both play a 4-3-3, (or version of) as we do. Look at the make up of their 3 in midfield.
Jorginho, kante, kovacic
Keita, winjaldum, Milner

No classic number 10 with only attacking attributes. 3 tireless players who can generally do most things but all 3 with defensive knowledge and responsibility.
I don’t think we have our midfield 3 balanced yet, and I’m not sure who in our midfield would be able to fit in to either of Chelsea’s or Liverpool’s midfields.

Emery seems to have a style of high energy, high stamina and pace. Generally our squad is pretty low on all 3 of these attributes. Did wenger just build a glorified 5-a-side team?

Post #363372  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:56 pm 

Saw this on twitter:
George graham inherited a group of young talented players who would die for the club
Wenger inherited the best back 5 in modern football history (plus wright and bergkamp!)
What has Emery inherited?

Post #363373  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:04 pm 

Santi starts for Villareal.
Good luck fella.

Post #363374  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:16 pm 

Darren wrote:

Well you're lucky if it's only the one Darren .

1972 I liked everybody in an Arsenal shirt , they were all demi gods .... even bit players like Nelson and Kelly .

Now ... I don't think there is a player in this squad I like ..... except for some of the kids .
Overpaid , underperforming , tweeting tattooed d*ckstops ....... except for the woolly haired tryer ; I'd be quite happy to see the rest of them going through their paces in the Falkland Islands league .

Post #363375  Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:37 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Well you're lucky if it's only the one Darren . 1972 I liked everybody in an Arsenal shirt , they were all demi gods .... even bit players like Nelson and Kelly . Now ... I don't think there is a player in this squad I like ..... except for some of the kids .
Overpaid , underperforming , tweeting tattooed d*ckstops ....... except for the woolly haired tryer ; I'd be quite happy to see the rest of them going through their paces in the Falkland Islands league .
Let this cheer you up Kiwi.

Last edited by warrior on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube link

Post #363376  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

It's quite odd, everyone expected that with Emery's alleged attention to detail and tactical nous he would focus on the defence and actually get us more organised, disciplined and positionally aware. In short, make us much harder to play against. At the moment it appears the opposite has happened, our fullbacks appear even more gung-ho than under Wenger leaving huge gaps in behind them and our centrebacks are asked to play a highline which they are ill-equipped for. It's a recipe for disaster and West Ham could have scored five in the first half alone.

Bellerin was basically playing as a right winger and whilst his cutbacks and final balls appear to be improving he is leaving enormous gaps defensively which opponents are readily exploiting on the counter. Monreal is not a lot better in terms of positioning either.

The points Alan Shearer has made are correct, with the lack of protection down the sides and in front of them it's almost an impossible task for Mustafi and Sokratis (not that I rate either of them particularly).

If we a player like Kante, with his speed around the pitch and ability to read the game and plug gaps, it might be less of an issue. Torreira may the player to provide that protection but its too early to judge.

We do look a mess.

The biggest plus is Emery's willingness to make early substitutions.

I think Emery is on a hiding to nothing. People judging him after 3 games. He’s got no chance

He has probably 4 performers under 30 who are able to retain an element of consistency in their game in Bellerin, Aubameyang, Mickey Tarragon and Lacazette. Outside of those 4 the rest turn up 40% of the time I reckon with many over 30 or approaching it.

Monreal and Ramsey do give their all. Monreal has been playing well for us since last season. Ramsey is a hit & miss player. Unfortunately, he is missing more these days.

Bellerin seems to be improving. I had slated him for regressing but credit where it is due, he was one of the better players in the West Ham game.

I am very surprised by the lack of incisiveness in Aubameyang

Mkhitaryan is as lazy as Özil

Post #363377  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 am 

Stephy Mavididi departs

Arsenal have sold 20-year old British forward Stephy Mavididi to Juventus for a £2.7m initial fee.
He becomes player number 13 to leave the club this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£60.3m so far.

Post #363378  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:47 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Well you're lucky if it's only the one Darren . 1972 I liked everybody in an Arsenal shirt , they were all demi gods .... even bit players like Nelson and Kelly . Now ... I don't think there is a player in this squad I like ..... except for some of the kids .
Let this cheer you up Kiwi. https://youtu.be/kxO_1ETos0c

:laughing7: Thanks Old Man ... probably his best ; was never too enamoured with "Donna " .

Difference is when that came out I was pimpley young halfwit looking wide eyed at the world ; now I've metaphorphed into a crusty moaning cynical old septuagenerian .

Have this in exchange ..........
....... think I'll have a big rum ; that cures most ills .

Last edited by warrior on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fixed YouTube link

Post #363379  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:33 am 

kiwipete wrote:
tweeting tattooed d*ckstops .......

Yes, I also hate it when people from a different generation doesn't behave like my generation.

Post #363380  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:12 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Have this in exchange ..........
....... think I'll have a big rum ; that cures most ills .
Like that. Try this. https://youtu.be/FKFmn2474gI

Post #363381  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:13 pm 

The two clubs I hate the most are playing tonight and its hard to decide who I want to win. A draw is what gooners will want but I even that they will get a point each.
Man Utd are at a precipice. Since winning the title in '92 until the '03 season they hadn't gone more than a season without winning the title. Then in the '04 ( :icon_mrgreen: ) to the '06 season no titles. First time ever for them. They resumed not going more than a season without winning title through the '13 season. They haven't won a title since then and the way its looking no one will be shocked if they don't win it this season. It will be their driest spell since '92. I'm not shedding any tears about it, just find it interesting.

Mourinho is on the hot seat and if he doesn't win a title or a trophy he could be out. I've heard a story or two that he may no longer be able to secure a job at a top club. I don't believe that. Plenty of clubs would love to have his services. If they ever needed a manager I'm sure PSG, Juve, even Barcelona or Bayern would include him on a short list.

So, this season, with 4 or 5 clubs who can probably win the title and although I would hate to see City win it again, obviously Tottenham as well, as long as Man Utd doesn't win it, I'll be okay. I want to see them suffer for all those years of direct rivalry we had with them.

Post #363382  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:41 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I've heard a story or two that he may no longer be able to secure a job at a top club..

ok I probably shouldn't ask but here goes. Where did you hear this story?

Post #363383  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:24 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I've heard a story or two that he may no longer be able to secure a job at a top club..

Only the recent opinion of Jamie Carragher apprently.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indepe ... 50247.html

Post #363384  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:41 pm 

Just saw Jose's meltdown at his press conference on the TV. Left asking for respect. 3 premierships for him 2 for the rest. Asking the media if they want style of play or a win. I suggest in future we have a poll from the media 2 days before all their matches and they give instructions how to play. I don't often appreciate a Spurs win but this time I will make an exception.

I love the 3rd year of his contracts. I hope the whole club comes apart. Should take a few headlines away from our club which is a bonus.

Post #363385  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:01 pm 

The result firmly puts Mourinho on being on the hot seat and of the managers of the top 5 or 6 clubs, his position is the most vulnerable. Lukaku's glaring miss changed the game for them. I'm enjoying it. Hating Man Utd is a 2fer. Would love to see them go a while without a title and hopefully no cups either. Liverpool and Tottenham seem to be the 2 clubs who look likely to challenge City. I can't see City not winning the title. Just too much depth and its what I saw happening if City ever got a top manager like Pep.

Years ago, City had the money but not the status to bring in the very best, now they have essentially bought credibility as an option to the very top clubs. My guess is they will focus on getting a European cup to complete their football CV.

Post #363386  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:15 am 

I don't envision any one beating City to the title. For a few reasons. The two clubs that can compete with City financially to a large extent is Chelsea and Manchester United. Both clubs are having less than stellar teams right now. Neither seem in any condition to challenge for top honors in earnest. The two clubs who look like they can challenge City are Liverpool and Tottenham and neither can come close to City's financial deep pockets. Both sides will have to have the planets align perfectly to unseat City. Anything happens to Kane, Tottenham are out. Anything happens to Salah, Liverpool is out. City can lose Aguero and still win. They are deep, their bench could be in the top 7 or 8 on its own with proper managing. I just don't see them losing the title. Liverpool and Tottenham may make it interesting till end of the fall or in January but will eventually falter.

As for us, top 4 won't happen unless Emery can gel this squad and shore up the defense over the next month or two and that is iffy.

Post #363387  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:56 am 

Gunfire wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I dread to think what the answer to this is

He was told by Mickey Donovan from the Cock in the flange pub in Boston

Post #363388  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:15 pm 

Reiss Nelson joining Hoffenheim. Bad news.

Post #363389  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:38 pm 

Niall wrote:

Hadn't heard anything about this. Is it a loan or permanent transfer?

Post #363390  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Niall wrote:

Permanent transfer.

Post #363391  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:45 pm 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Permanent transfer.

Really disappointing to lose a young player with serious promise. Gutted tbh. Less than a year on his contract so nothing can be done. What is it with Arsenal and contracts?

Post #363392  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:25 pm 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Permanent transfer.

Mixed reports on this. The Mirror is saying a long term contract with Arsenal and a loan to Hoffenheim

Post #363393  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:59 pm 

Would be very disappointed if Nelson let permanently, but at the same time I can't say it would be a bad move for him. This is another area where money has ruined football, it's very hard to give young talents a chance because the financial stakes are so high. The exceptional talents like Fabregas, Rooney and Sterling will always make it but for the tier below it's difficult at top clubs. Not even sure the club hasn't managed him right, 5 starts and 11 appearances last season as a 17/18 year old is certainly not bad.

Post #363394  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:18 pm 

Original source now reporting it's a loan as well. Might be good news then.

Post #363395  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:37 pm 

dec wrote:
Niall wrote:
Permanent transfer.

Mixed reports on this. The Mirror is saying a long term contract with Arsenal and a loan to Hoffenheim

Most of what I’ve read says Loan deal after he signs a new contract with us.
We have to fight to keep our young prospects. Ideally for the first team but we must also protect their value.
Our squad is going to need quite a turnover of players in the next few years, not just for quality reasons, we’ve got a lot of players over, or close to 30.

Post #363396  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44 pm 

Another thought on Özil. I’ve often argued for him based on his stats, stats that show he has more assists and chances created than any other player since he arrived at arsenal. And also his key pass and chances per game are better than all. However, I often find myself using these stats despite what my eyes see on the pitch. It is a strange one - maybe his best work is only really spotted by true football hipsters and conesouers of the game but I don’t ever see him dominate a game and be the go to man despite the stats showing he has just as much of not more goal influences (in a weaker team) than someone like Silva who is lorded every week.

My feeling is that Özil would excel as a 10 in a team of world class players, if Özil is just left to create and knit things together for players who are making great runs, dominating the ball etc. But in it team he can’t have that luxury because we aren’t that good a team so when we’re up against it he doesn’t seem to be able to cut it. In that sense completely different to someone like Ronaldo or Henry who I think could still be brilliant in a team of average players

Post #363397  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:05 pm 

Özil played best when he didn't have extra duties like defending....lol. Yes, all players should defend to some extent including strikers obviously but Özil had the freedom not to at Real Madrid. In the EPL everyone has to defend as a team. The league isn't suited for it otherwise. If you can't do a sliding tackle you get in the passing lanes and cut off avenues to other players.

Özil has become better at defending but trying Emery is having the same problem as Wenger did. How do you fit him into a squad where you have your bases covered offense and defense in the transition between the two?

He may not be suited for us unless we make changes to our set up.

Post #363398  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:38 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Would be very disappointed if Nelson let permanently, but at the same time I can't say it would be a bad move for him. This is another area where money has ruined football, it's very hard to give young talents a chance because the financial stakes are so high. The exceptional talents like Fabregas, Rooney and Sterling will always make it but for the tier below it's difficult at top clubs. Not even sure the club hasn't managed him right, 5 starts and 11 appearances last season as a 17/18 year old is certainly not bad.

Interesting examples though, because fabregas and Sterling both made moves at 16ish for different reasons.. But I take your point. If you look at say Ashley Cole and Bellerin two of our successes in recent times, both had huge slices of luck with long term injury and dodgy passport dealings removing the players in front of them giving them their chance. Maybe they’d have broken through anyway but would they renew contracts if they’d had to wait two more seasons for starts?

I hope it is a season long loan after signing a contract, could be great for him, but selfishly I’m sad I won’t get to watch him in League FA and Europa cups.

Post #363399  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:14 pm 

Ash wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Interesting examples though, because fabregas and Sterling both made moves at 16ish for different reasons.. But I take your point. If you look at say Ashley Cole and Bellerin two of our successes in recent times, both had huge slices of luck with long term injury and dodgy passport dealings removing the players in front of them giving them their chance. Maybe they’d have broken through anyway but would they renew contracts if they’d had to wait two more seasons for starts?

I hope it is a season long loan after signing a contract, could be great for him, but selfishly I’m sad I won’t get to watch him in League FA and Europa cups.

Football is full of hard luck and good luck stories. Because he is the same age as me and from my home town, Roy Keane's story always comes to mind. At 18 he was playing for Cobh Ramblers, who weren't even the best team in Cork. Forest signed him and Cloughie threw him into the team against Liverpool at the start of the season and he never looked back. So he went from a semi-pro outfit at 18 to playing the English champions a few months later and then one of the best midfielders in the world within a few years.

Post #363400  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:14 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
tweeting tattooed d*ckstops .......

Yes, I also hate it when people from a different generation doesn't behave like my generation.

Aah ha the sneaky little Lithuanian giving my chain a little jerk

....but I only have to point to pillars of the community in my era like Stalin , Hitler , Idi Amin , Pol Pot to prove people had more moral standards back then , than these underperforming money hungry low life footballers of today

[ 444685 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9082, 9083, 9084, 9085, 9086, 9087, 9088 ... 11118  Next