Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 279 guests

Post #489041  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 pm 

Amazingly this terrible Man U team could get top 4.

If they can pull together 1 good performance and beat Chelsea, they then have Cardiff and Huddersfield in their last two. Win all 3 and they’ll almost certainly nick 4th!

Post #489042  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 pm 

Other than for financial reasons there’s really not much point in us being in the Champions League next season.

Post #489043  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:36 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Other than for financial reasons there’s really not much point in us being in the Champions League next season.

I agree

Post #489044  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:38 pm 

Why are we so awful at winning fouls and at the same time so dumb and easy to lure a cheap foul out of?

Post #489045  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:38 pm 

Time to throw the league, blood more youngsters and focus squarely on the Europa. Better from Guendouzi today, Nketiah has been bright. Lacazatte has worked really hard, and actually our centre-halves weren't too bad today. Xhaka was poor but his set pieces were excellent. No-one else gets any credit at all.

Post #489046  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:39 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
5-4 to The Arsenal. You heard it here first. Call your bookies.

Over 2 legs if we had a cup tie with them. :42laughter:

Post #489047  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:43 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Time to throw the league, blood more youngsters and focus squarely on the Europa. Better from Guendouzi today, Nketiah has been bright. Lacazatte has worked really hard, and actually our centre-halves weren't too bad today. Xhaka was poor but his set pieces were excellent. No-one else gets any credit at all.

You are assuming Europa is the easier competition. :42laughter:

Post #489048  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm 

4th is pretty much dead, but not because we’re reliant on others. More because we can’t win away- not even close.
Well probably get just 3 more point this season.
Need Man U to draw with Chelsea which puts Man U a point behind and Chelsea 2 points in front. Our game in hand would be Leicester away!

Post #489049  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:46 pm 

Despite Emery’s progress were miles away from where we need to be

New left back
New centre back
Better competition for Bellerin at right back
New midfielder (Ramsey)
2 new wide players

Massive summer ahead

Post #489050  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:51 pm 

All of the other sides left in the Europa cup are about 5th or so in their respective leagues. It's not going to be easy. I was surprised the Napoli tied went that easy. Even if we do win it, and if we win it collapsing in the league the rest of the way, it won't feel right. Maybe lifting a European trophy will change that feeling but right now, I feel we don't deserve it. That said, it would break my heart if we lost to Chelsea in the final, assuming both clubs go through.

Post #489051  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

New left back
New centre back
New midfielder (Ramsey)
2 new wide players

Massive summer ahead

Whole new defence really. Van Dijk turned Liverpool from awful to great. We need a signing like him who will organise on the pitch because no one else at the club on or off the field seems able to organise it

Post #489052  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Not in the slightest. But it is still within our hands to determine. Obviously if results go our way this weekend and we beat Leicester and rivals lose, then priorities shift again.

Post #489053  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 pm 

lomekian wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Not in the slightest. But it is still within our hands to determine. Obviously if results go our way this weekend and we beat Leicester and rivals lose, then priorities shift again.

Plus we would only have to play 1 ‘away’ game

Post #489054  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:55 pm 

If city win their last 3, and therefore win the title by a point having won their last 14 straight it will be phenomenal.

Teams have gone on long title winning runs but not under this sort of pressure.

The same goes for Liverpool if city drop points.

Post #489055  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

New left back
New centre back
New midfielder (Ramsey)
2 new wide players

Massive summer ahead

Whole new defence really. Van Dijk turned Liverpool from awful to great. We need a signing like him who will organise on the pitch because no one else at the club on or off the field seems able to organise it

In addition to who we actually need to sign who we sell is equally as important.

I’d flog Xhaka, Mustafi and mhikitaryan in a heartbeat. They would all provide funds to reinvest

Post #489056  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:11 pm 

The blueprint for any future signing should be pace and power.

I think every single one of our players was weaker and slower than their opposite number today. Similar v palace.

Without pace and power we are reliant on perfect technique, passing, one touch, and brilliant off the ball movement. How many teams can do that and not need any pace or power!?

Let’s go back to a team of quick giants.

Post #489057  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:15 pm 

Rich wrote:

I think every single one of our players was weaker and slower than their opposite number today. Similar v palace.

Without pace and power we are reliant on perfect technique, passing, one touch, and brilliant off the ball movement. How many teams can do that and not need any pace or power!?

Few teams have mastered the Barca tippy tappy model, and even they had a genius and two of the best midfielders of all time in their side.

City are giving it a good go though.

Post #489058  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:16 pm 

The other issue in this squad is who gets the goals when times are tough in games.
Where are our players who help us counter and dribble the ball 50 yards, beat a man and curl it in the corner. I get those players are very special but every team in the top 6 and teams below have someone like that. We don’t.
Pace and power in desperate need

Post #489059  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:18 pm 

Rich wrote:

We definitely need to play with more pace and urgency, we are so slow and predictable.

Post #489060  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm 

Rich wrote:
The other issue in this squad is who gets the goals when times are tough in games.
Where are our players who help us counter and dribble the ball 50 yards, beat a man and curl it in the corner. I get those players are very special but every team in the top 6 and teams below have someone like that. We don’t.
Pace and power in desperate need

Yep. We have no players who can conjure a worldclass individual goal out of nothing in the way a Hazard or Salah can.

Post #489061  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:23 pm 

I think tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Tonight was cowardly and we don't deserve top four.

Post #489062  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:29 pm 

Wolves record v the top 6
W5 D4 L3
I’d take that v the other 5 and 7th

What has been our excuse all these years.

It used to be money. Now there are just well drilled, well run and well managed teams who prove year in and year out that whilst money helps you can certainly build a competitive team on a budget

Post #489063  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:32 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Few teams have mastered the Barca tippy tappy model, and even they had a genius and two of the best midfielders of all time in their side.

City are giving it a good go though.

Yep, and city are absolutely packed with pace
Walker, Mendy, Laporte, Sterling, Sane, aguero
Master dribblers
Sterling, Sane, Mahrez, Silva, b.silva, De Bruyne
And power
All 4 CB, Fernandinho, Walker, Mendy

Bernardo Silva has been quite brilliant this season, he’s been as good as De Bruyne was last and has replaced him perfectly.

Post #489064  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:42 pm 

More of the same bs we saw under Wenger.

It's not the manager.

#KroenkeOUT

Post #489065  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Plus we would only have to play 1 ‘away’ game

We suck right now We suck like a Tijuana hooker. Trust me, I know.
We look like we couldn't beat eggs right now.

Post #489066  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:18 pm 

Emery and some of the new signings have given us moments of great optimism this season, some of the big homes games have been absolutely spot on. So much so that it’s gwmes like the last two weeks that it makes you realise what an absolute state this whole club was in when wenger left. Huge amounts of work to do, 5 year rebuilding project really.

Just wish emery had look at palace at home and wolves away and thought we should cement victory in the easier game rather than try to scrape wins in both. With hindsight he rested players for the wrong game

Post #489067  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:20 pm 

We’ve played 25 league away games since sanchez left and only won 6

Post #489068  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:00 pm 

Considered getting up early to watch this one. Glad I didn't. No point getting to CL because we'd have no chance of competing anyway and all it is doing is filling that hairpiece tosser's bank account.

Sell half this so called team in the summer. Particularly the Wenger children.

Emery then has one go to buy the players he wants and if Arsenal aren't greatly improved by Christmas then get rid of him.

Post #489069  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 pm 

We scored and had their keeper make 1 other save in 90 minutes. We conceded 3 for the second game running. Kos was involved in both and he was supposed to be part of our solution. We have an aging defence, a number of old forwards, two creative midfielders who are over or near 30 (Özil & Mkhitaryan) and a pile of players who were Wenger indoctrinated, many purchased for plain silly money. A keeper who is prone to moments of real poor play. If Ospina, Almunia had done this then he would have been criticised widely. I am yet to be convinced by Leno and indeed many have apparently forgotten some very ordinary goals conceded earlier in the season. Given Czech is about as mobile as me you can say we need a really good keeper for next season to be or challenge for number one.

May take sometime to turn the club around. I am not convinced Emery can do it. I feel as the season has progressed he has been indoctrinated to be more like Wenger himself. Our play is heading back to tippy tippy, players are never held responsible.

After the Everton game Man Utd chose to make the players and manager apologise. They got some reaction from their players in the City game but were beaten with at least having played well.

I await our reaction.

Post #489070  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:35 pm 

Rich wrote:

He was that disruptive player who wanted players to press the opposition & who wanted to win sometimes selfishly. Someone who you knew might just spark us with a piece of magic. Glad he moved on.

Post #489071  Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:52 pm 

Really shocking how easily we capitulated when the season and CL football is on the line. Shocking. The way we played against the top 6 in recent months gave me a false sense of optimism.

We still have the same issues as before. Lack of testicular fortitude. I have to assume with the amount of research Emery has done to get the job he knows this as well as seeing it first hand.

Post #489072  Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:43 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

He was that disruptive player who wanted players to press the opposition & who wanted to win sometimes selfishly. Someone who you knew might just spark us with a piece of magic. Glad he moved on.

To be fair, Alex Iwobi has contributed 3 or 4 times as many goals and assists this season & for not much more than a 10th of the wages, despite being one of the worst players in recent years for lacking end product.

Given that Alexis is costing Utd 500k a week for this total lack of impact, I'd say we got rid of him at the right time. The Alexis of 3 years ago would be a godsend however and would have us comfortably in third position.

Post #489073  Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:14 am 

Oh well, another disappointing game.

Post #489074  Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:44 am 

lomekian wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

To be fair, Alex Iwobi has contributed 3 or 4 times as many goals and assists this season & for not much more than a 10th of the wages, despite being one of the worst players in recent years for lacking end product.

Given that Alexis is costing Utd 500k a week for this total lack of impact, I'd say we got rid of him at the right time. The Alexis of 3 years ago would be a godsend however and would have us comfortably in third position.

I am not saying that we could have afforded him. In fact Mourinho who wanted to piss off Man City by buying Sanchez made a big error. I hope Alexi stays with them until the very last day of his contract just to really annoy all the Man U supporters.

But my point, which may not have been obvious, was that he bought to the team some attributes that were not obvious at the time or were called by many disruptive. Those are the qualities that we are totally lacking and need to get a player of that quality, with a will to win, into the club.

What would you say if this offer was made to Man U regarding Alexis. We take him on loan for a year and pay him 50K per week (they have to pick up the rest). They may tell us to get nicked but if you don't ask you will never know. It would be a gamble but may very well cover the Wellbeck departure if they went for it. I want to see some strategic thinking about transfers. Some to get us over a hump and not have to panic long term buy.

Similar idea as I had the other day to get Fabergas back for a while. We have some youngsters who may or may not make it but having around some class to try and get them there could not hurt.

Of course the will to win cannot make up for the lack of defensive nous in our team, which IMO should be our main objective in the summer transfer. Since Mislinat left can anyone tell me who is doing this at the club.

Post #489075  Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:58 am 

Story about the only players to acknowledge the away support were Sokratis, Leno, Özil and Lacazette. And they want us to all get together as a club. Yeah right. The fact some of our young players did not acknowledge the fans is more than a little disappointing. Good on Leno for facing up. That is the attitude I want to see in a player.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/25/unai-eme ... t-9315323/

I don't think Emery addressed this appropriately when asked.

Post #489076  Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:15 am 

You look at the last 6 goals we’ve conceded:
Set piece no marking free header
Long ball, don’t win the header, gift a free run to the attacker
Set piece no marking free header
Direct set piece
Set piece no marking free header awful gk
No challenge run clean through the defence awful gk

Every single one with aN individual mistake. How many free headers do Liverpool, spurs, city give away in their box? They may lose a header but they are marking and challenging. Our boys don’t want to get engaged in that physical battle

Post #489077  Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:20 am 

Saw this stat on Twitter
Arsenal’s record in the away league table

10/11 1st
11/12 3rd
12/13 2nd
13/14 2nd
14/15 3rd
15/16 3rd
16/17 6th
17/18 10th
18/19 10th (2 games to play)

This is a new problem.

To be a threat away from home you need to be able to counter attack at pace. How often to we bemoan teams who come to the emirates and sit deep with 10 men? Well away from home they don’t do that but we have no pace to expose the weaker defenders who are left with less protection.
In the last 2-3 years we lost a huge amount of pace and width from the team. Until we get both back we’ll never be better than 6th

Post #489078  Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:50 am 

Just look at the players and search your heart.

If you need to go away from home and desperately get a win players like Xhaka, Iwobi and Mhikitaryan aren’t your men. Let’s be honest now no mucking about. There’s just too much mediocrity there and Özil and the 2 strikers can only get you out of trouble so many times. There’s just not enough match winners in that team.

There’s not enough talent in the squad of the right quality to do well (Bellerin,sokratis,Torreira, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Guendozi, only) in the champions league anyway. Like somebody said it would only be preferential for financial reasons.

It’s like a flat circle with arsenal and we are almost back at where we were a month into the season where we realised we were reliant on a handful of players.

Post #489079  Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:56 am 

Rich wrote:
Saw this stat on Twitter
Arsenal’s record in the away league table

10/11 1st
11/12 3rd
12/13 2nd
13/14 2nd
14/15 3rd
15/16 3rd
16/17 6th
17/18 10th
18/19 10th (2 games to play)

This is a new problem.

To be a threat away from home you need to be able to counter attack at pace. How often to we bemoan teams who come to the emirates and sit deep with 10 men? Well away from home they don’t do that but we have no pace to expose the weaker defenders who are left with less protection.
In the last 2-3 years we lost a huge amount of pace and width from the team. Until we get both back we’ll never be better than 6th

Wide players are critical for any team that aspires to be successful. Every title winning side has them in abundance. Look how many city have, foden sterling, bernardo etc

It was a massive mistake going into the season without one and in my opinion we need 2 to get to rotate.

Post #489080  Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just look at the players and search your heart.

If you need to go away from home and desperately get a win players like Xhaka, Iwobi and Mhikitaryan aren’t your men. Let’s be honest now no mucking about. There’s just too much mediocrity there and Özil and the 2 strikers can only get you out of trouble so many times. There’s just not enough match winners in that team.

There’s not enough talent in the squad of the right quality to do well (Bellerin,sokratis,Torreira, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Guendozi, only) in the champions league anyway. Like somebody said it would only be preferential for financial reasons.

It’s like a flat circle with arsenal and we are almost back at where we were a month into the season where we realised we were reliant on a handful of players.

I agree with that, TG. I would probably add AMN to the bunch, I think he has potential although probably not as a RB.

However, this club does not have the balls to undertake the kind of mass clear-out needed. Too much mediocrity on too high wages makes it incredibly difficult to offload them but it can be done if you have the right people doing it.

If we don't get CL and have a very limited budget it will be difficult to attract the calibre of player we require as well.

It's a bit of a mess really.

[ 563337 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12224, 12225, 12226, 12227, 12228, 12229, 12230 ... 14084  Next