Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, danny, Lincoln gooner, warrior and 47 guests

Post #342801  Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:06 pm 

Apparently that was Bate's first game in 9 weeks.....

Post #342802  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:26 am 

Switch on my tele, watched a bit, then decided to sleep instead. Why do we continue to be so laboured in our ways? Is Wenger our secret coach? Poor Emery adopted sh@t and don't know how to deal with it anymore.

Post #342803  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:05 am 

Reminds me of those good ol' days under Wenger :1laughter:

Has Emery lost the dressing room?

Post #342804  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:17 am 

Fans singing "we've got our Arsenal back" in homage to the worst performances of the past decade.

Post #342805  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:16 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Can't see how he could have made a worse start to his Arsenal career. He imo realised he couldn't do anything with the squad and
saw they weren't interested in investing.

Imo he's playing their game. Get the team closer to the half way mark and they'll start sweating and reconsider financing the next chapter.

Even AW's worst prodigee could have done better. Problem is h doesn't realise how gutted we are.............

Your talking *%^@ as usual

He’s done better than Wenger in the league and clearly it’s better than last year. He might be playing a certain card but apart from involving 2 players who are leaving the club anyway clearly you can’t criticise.

You talk non stop nonsense

I remember the last time you said that. One Alexi Sanchez was the greatest as far as you were concerned. You will eat your words punk.

Did mummy get you long trousers yet?

Post #342806  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:32 am 

Yet more eveidence that this squad needs totally ripping apart and starting again. I think there is only 8 or so of this squad is keep. It just reeks of mediocrity in every position.

Post #342807  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:04 am 

Last night was embarassing and humiliating.

The worst thing was it wasn't due to lack of effort it was just an overall lack of quality, individually and collectively. How many teams have we seen park the bus against us in recent seasons and we just don't have the nous to overcome this tactic.

Add to that the fact that we can concede against anyone at any time and it's a recipe for disaster.

Iwobi was our most attacking threat but his end product is appalling. That about sums us up. Imagine Eden Hazard in some of the situations Iwobi gets into, he'd be scoring hat-tricks and laying on multiple assists every week.

Post #342808  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:07 am 

Basically with that line up you are asking Iwobi, Lacazette and mhikitaryan to win the match by themselves. All the other players are forming a defensive base and aren’t good around opposing penalty boxes. There’s just not enough firepower there.

Post #342809  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:07 am 

Rich wrote:
Yet more eveidence that this squad needs totally ripping apart and starting again. I think there is only 8 or so of this squad is keep. It just reeks of mediocrity in every position.

I think the manager is average too. The whole thing just feels wrong. We put 10 past this mob last season with a team featuring Walcott, Willock, Maitland Niles, Reiss Nelson. He’s getting things wrong. We all believed he would get more from this group of players. The style of football we’re playing is dull. Someone on Twitter jokingly calls him a USB Rioch. I think he's right.

The whole club is a mess. Mislintat, Özil, Ramsey, Kroenke. It's bollocks.

Post #342810  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:27 am 

Listening to arsecast and he’s nailing it. Says the only thing we have from an attacking perspective is Iwobi playing in Kolasinac on the overlap. That’s it, nothing else. He’s right

This team and squad is worse than the one we had few years ago. Walcott and the Ox would be playing every single minute of every game at the moment

Post #342811  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Listening to arsecast and he’s nailing it.

Agree. I listened first thing and found it hard to disagree with anything.

Post #342812  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:37 am 

Darren wrote:
Rich wrote:

The whole club is a mess. Mislintat, Özil, Ramsey, Kroenke. It's bollocks.

Ever since the club lost Danny Fiszman, Dein and the old board it’s never been the same. Even if they weren’t perfect and we used to moan about them they seemed to know what arsenal were all about.

The new lot, Kroenke, Mislintat, Gazidis some *%^@*** big time Spanish Barca exec Sanelhi and now their talking about some foreign director at Roma. Do any of these *%^@ understand arsenal and what’s required ?

I doubt it. Does anyone reckon even now with his health conditions Dein would do a worse job as director than Sanelhi or anyone else.

Surely Dein would have been pragmatic enough to negotiate to buy Suarez from Liverpool when the morons at the club offered 50 million and one pound exactly to meet his buyout clause. What f&*%wit came up with that idea.

The club is a mess top to bottom and everyone mentioned is making a killing off arsenal fans whilst serving up utter dross on the pitch.

Post #342813  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
My top ten arsenal midfielders of all time. (Doesn’t include players that could be considered wingers e.g merse or overmars)

In order

1) Patrick Vieira (the king)
2) Liam Brady
3) Cesc Fabregas (will anger some but it’s my list)
4) Emmanuel Petitt
5) David Rocastle
6) Steve Williams (why did George sell him, he seemed a very George player)
7) Paul Davis (criminally under rated I thought)
8) Mickey Thomas (I’m so tempted to put him higher but he could be such a lazy git sometimes but that was the conundrum about him as a player )
9) The invisible wall
10) Kevin Richardson (that was another odd transfer, wins a title and puff he’s gone to Spain,)

There will be plenty on honourable mentions potentially for Alan Ball (a favourite of my dads ) and others but this was aimed at players in my arsenal supporting era

Your list has a lot of merit. The first two are the same for me, but Petit comes third. He and Vieira is the best central midfield I've ever seen at Arsenal.

Are you counting Pires as a winger but Rocastle, who played mostly out wide, as a central player? I saw Alan Ball so he walks into my top ten. As does Stewart Robson who you don't mention at all. I agree with you putting Williams and Davis quite high.

I'm also going to get Charlie George in as a midfielder. After all, Radford and Kennedy were the front two he played behind in the first double season. The only reason I've excluded Alan Hudson is he didn't play enough games.

My own top ten: 1) Vieira 2) Brady 3) Petit 4) Ball 5) Rocastle 6) Fabregas 7) Williams 8) Robson 9) Davis 10) George

Post #342814  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
My top ten arsenal midfielders of all time. (Doesn’t include players that could be considered wingers e.g merse or overmars)

In order

2) Liam Brady
4) Emmanuel Petitt
5) David Rocastle
7) Paul Davis (criminally under rated I thought)
8) Mickey Thomas (I’m so tempted to put him higher but he could be such a lazy git sometimes but that was the conundrum about him as a player )
9) The invisible wall
10) Kevin Richardson (that was another odd transfer, wins a title and puff he’s gone to Spain,)

There will be plenty on honourable mentions potentially for Alan Ball (a favourite of my dads ) and others but this was aimed at players in my arsenal supporting era

Your list has a lot of merit. The first two are the same for me, but Petit comes third. He and Vieira is the best central midfield I've ever seen at Arsenal.

Are you counting Pires as a winger but Rocastle, who played mostly out wide, as a central player? I saw Alan Ball so he walks into my top ten. As does Stewart Robson who you don't mention at all. I agree with you putting Williams and Davis quite high.

I'm also going to get Charlie George in as a midfielder. After all, Radford and Kennedy were the front two he played behind in the first double season. The only reason I've excluded Alan Hudson is he didn't play enough games.

My own top ten: 1) Vieira 2) Brady 3) Petit 4) Ball 5) Rocastle 6) Fabregas 7) Williams 8) Robson 9) Davis 10) George

Great top ten ! Ball was supposed to be a cracking player.

i consider rocky a midfielder primarily a midfielder rather than winger and whilst he did often play on the right he also played in the centre and I saw him more of a workhorse midfield than a winger hence his inclusion. Actually and for that reason the notable omission from both our tens in ominous, what about the Romford pele! 3 titles 4 fa cups and a league cup! How did we miss him, I’m not sure who I would remove from my ten to include him.

Post #342815  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 pm 

This from Amy Lawrence in this morning’s Grauniad:

“It speaks volumes for the scale of change since Arsenal visited the Borisov Arena in last season’s Europa League that out of the 18-man squad who came during Arsène Wenger’s final campaign only four travelled this time. Most of last season’s headline players here - Olivier Giroud, Theo Walcott and Jack Wilshere - feel part of a different era.
The really complicated bit is that last year’s crop, who won 4-2 here, were unmistakably the B team, players who were struggling to get into Arsenal’s Premier League selection. This was Emery’s selection more or less at full strength, barring injuries and illness, and they found the going extremely heavy. Shaping a new Arsenal identity is not a particularly simple task in a squad who still have a transitional feel.”

Post #342816  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Understandable that you rate Petit so highly B - can't say I'd argue - but - he wouldn't be that high on my list because wasn't really with us that long. Looking at your list and their respective appearances:
1) Vieira 279
2) Brady 235
3) Petit 85
4) Ball 177
5) Rocastle 228
6) Fabregas 212
7) Williams 95
8) Robson 150
9) Davis 446
10) George 133

Post #342817  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:08 pm 

Surely picking Rocky ahead of Fàbregas is pure sentimentality. Parlour has to be included

I think Manu was a great midfielder but not as good as Cesc especially in the legend stakes for legging it off to Barca

My adjusted one

2) Liam Brady
4) Emmanuel Petitt
5) David Rocastle
7) Ray Parlour
9) The invisible wall
10) Paul Davis

Post #342818  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:22 pm 

socrates wrote:
Last night was embarassing and humiliating.

The worst thing was it wasn't due to lack of effort it was just an overall lack of quality, individually and collectively. How many teams have we seen park the bus against us in recent seasons and we just don't have the nous to overcome this tactic.

Hi Soc

The frustrating thing about last night is that these chumps weren't even good at parking the bus. We just did nothing. Persevering with 3 centre backs against a team with a feeble attacking threat. It was terrible stuff.

Post #342819  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Surely picking Rocky ahead of Fàbregas is pure sentimentality. Parlour has to be included

I think Manu was a great midfielder but not as good as Cesc especially in the legend stakes for legging it off to Barca

My adjusted one

2) Liam Brady
4) Emmanuel Petitt
5) David Rocastle
7) Ray Parlour
9) The invisible wall
10) Paul Davis

Freddie? More of a central midfielder than Rocky..

Post #342820  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:12 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

My adjusted one

2) Liam Brady
4) Emmanuel Petitt
5) David Rocastle
7) Ray Parlour
9) The invisible wall
10) Paul Davis

I always thought of him as a wide attacker .

Post #342821  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:47 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I always thought of him as a wide attacker .

I certainly see Ljungberg as a wider player.

Post #342822  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I think Rocastle had a better all round game than Fabregas. Both were supremely gifted, but Rocastle consistently won the ball too. For me Parlour isn't quite gifted enough to get in my top ten.

Post #342823  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:05 pm 

Willock with two more goals for the U23s tonight. They lead spurs 3-0 at Ht. probably deserves some more first team chances

Post #342824  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think Rocastle had a better all round game than Fabregas. Both were supremely gifted, but Rocastle consistently won the ball too. For me Parlour isn't quite gifted enough to get in my top ten.

Was Stewart robson much better than parlour ? He was before my time.

Post #342825  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

That explains it. Didn't realise Robson pre-dates you. But yes, he was.

Post #342826  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No he was not.

Post #342827  Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:56 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

My adjusted one

2) Liam Brady
4) Emmanuel Petitt
5) David Rocastle
7) Ray Parlour
9) The invisible wall
10) Paul Davis

Santi Cazorla is (almost) everyone's recent favourite... Guendouzi will be the next one.

And with good cause. Cazorla was a lovely player. Better than Williams, Parlour, Stewart Robson, Paul Davis. Ramsey should be in there too.

Post #342828  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:54 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
No he was not.

Come off it. Of course he was!

Post #342829  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:01 am 

OK So Peter Storey and "Stanley" Simpson, the two midfield anchors that brought us our first "Double", don't get a mention...?? - Unbelievable!

Post #342830  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:53 am 

dec wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Santi Cazorla is (almost) everyone's recent favourite... Guendouzi will be the next one.

And with good cause. Cazorla was a lovely player. Better than Williams, Parlour, Stewart Robson, Paul Davis. Ramsey should be in there too.

Which player would you remove for Ramsey then ?cazorla maybe for Davis at best.

Post #342831  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:51 am 

Roastbeef wrote:
OK So Peter Storey and "Stanley" Simpson, the two midfield anchors that brought us our first "Double", don't get a mention...?? - Unbelievable!

Surely Peter Simpson is predominantly remembered as a central defender? McLintock's partner in the first double season.

Post #342832  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

Personally I'd go for Davis instead of Cazorla. Think dec is grossly over-rating both him and Ramsey. It's not all about technical ability. If it was, Hudson and Özil would walk into everyone's top ten.

Post #342833  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:14 am 

Roastbeef wrote:
Yes, though I think of Stan as a great defender a little further back than midfield. He was very adaptable and could play several roles. Another who I rated was Talbot - phenomenal strength and will-to-win. A personal favourite from an earlier time was Jimmy Bloomfield - a class act.

However, the best of the lot was the incomparable Paddy.

Post #342834  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
No he was not.

Oh, no he wasn't!

Post #342835  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:18 am 

Jon Sammels was a very gifted player too - great passer, wonderful shot and a bit harder in the tackle than his critics believed.

Post #342836  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Personally I'd go for Davis instead of Cazorla. Think dec is grossly over-rating both him and Ramsey. It's not all about technical ability. If it was, Hudson and Özil would walk into everyone's top ten.

I know it is not all about technical ability, but that is primarily what differentiates top players from the rest. Cazorla has played over 70 times for Spain, winning 2 Euro championships at a time when they never had a better selection of midfielders. I really liked Paul Davis and think that he was under-rated during his career but Santi was comfortably a better player.

Post #342837  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Oh, no he wasn't!

You must be on a wind up.

Post #342838  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:35 pm 

dec wrote:
but Santi was comfortably a better player.

A bit more skillful perhaps, but sorry not even close to being 'comfortably a better player'. Davis won the ball back as well as being very talented.

Post #342839  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:28 pm 

Kusal Perera 153 not out to beat SA by one wicket at Kingsmead. One for the ages that.

Post #342840  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:43 pm 

With all the debate about our greatest midfielders I notice not even a mention for Xhaka. He'd struggle to make the top 30.

[ 418936 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8568, 8569, 8570, 8571, 8572, 8573, 8574 ... 10474  Next