Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: dec and 78 guests

Post #314001  Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:19 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
We got taken. We bought a 35 million pound bust. No one to blame but ourselves. Who ever scouted him should be looked at closely, if not sacked.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/05/unai-eme ... r-8448310/

https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/06/lee-dixo ... y-7367205/

Puts into perspective Guendouzi at £7m then.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/05/matteo-g ... n-8444192/

Post #314002  Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:20 pm 

Right back is a major problem area for us, we simply have no cover for Bellerin.

The fact that we are paying 120k a week combined for both reserve right backs who aren’t good enough to play sums up the situation. I’m really not sure you can blame Emery for this. He’s one of 2 decent defenders we have in our whole squad

As soon as Hector got injured I knew we had a problem and I think it’s affecting us more than any other issue.

Post #314003  Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bellerin, Lacazette,Holding and Xhaka have all been noticeably better this season let’s be honest.

The defence was fine until the injuries hit. It’s a bit hard to press when you have a 33 year old left back, 33 year old centre back and 35 year old right back. You think that doesn’t make a difference ? Well it does

The defence wasn't fine before the injuries, its been shite all season. I've lost count of the gilt-edged chances we've gifted the opposition, even during the unbeaten run. We were/are playing a high line and teams were/are able to get in behind us at will. The difference in that period was that opponents weren't taking the chances whilst we had an extremely high chance conversion rate. It was only a matter of time before some of those chances began to be taken by teams and our chance conversion rate dipped a little.

Post #314004  Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 pm 

If we are looking to raise some money a la Liverpool and Countinho then perhaps Guendouzi might just provide the answer. It can't be too long before the big boys start sniffing around.

Post #314005  Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Bellerin, Lacazette,Holding and Xhaka have all been noticeably better this season let’s be honest.

The defence was fine until the injuries hit. It’s a bit hard to press when you have a 33 year old left back, 33 year old centre back and 35 year old right back. You think that doesn’t make a difference ? Well it does

The defence wasn't fine before the injuries, its been shite all season. I've lost count of the gilt-edged chances we've gifted the opposition, even during the unbeaten run. The difference in that period was that opponents weren't taking the chances whilst we had an extremely high chance conversion rate. It was only a matter of time before some of those chances began to be taken by teams and our chance conversion rate dipped a little.

Sorry I’ll rephrase the defence was “adequate” considering the personnel we have not fine.

You and I both know any manager losing his right back would struggle. City deliberately targeted that flank on Sunday. Holding and Sokratis are also missed and it also doesn’t help the full backs that we don’t have any pacy natural wingers which mean opposing full backs and wingers can pile forward without being worried they could get caught out.

Let’s be honest the whole thing is a major piss hard boner that we can’t shake off but I’m not convinced any success can be driven by ANY manager with the combination of injuries and lack of personnel we have in defence

Post #314006  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

You have to include Mustafi as a player that improved too, until his injury. He's been poor since, but was part of the defence that you describe as fine until the injuries hit.

People are being too negative about Emery in my view. A number of existing players improved under him, I forgot to mention Iwobi who started well also despite falling away, and his new players have mostly done well (Guendouzi and Torreira way better than 'well'). Lichsteiner has been the exception, but was free, 34 and a one year fill in. What did people expect? He won't be an Arsenal player next season.

My main criticism of Emery has been deciding to play five at the back when four worked better. Yet he was left an unbalanced squad with various ordinary players with little money. Do people expect miracles? Özil was put on a huge contract before Emery arrived. Maybe he could have used him better, but he clearly doesn't fancy him. I think Emery has done more good than bad. He raised team spirit.

But the main problems were there before he arrived. If Kroenke isn't going to fund big money transfers, improviing things to the extent we want isn't going to happen overnight. People should be realistic. Sorting out Wenger's mess without big money isn't just a big job, it's a long job.

Post #314007  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:54 am 

Goonie wrote:
tomc wrote:
Sack Emery and replace him with who? The guy's a decent manger with a good track record. And if he has tinkered with the defence and formations lately it's cos he's running out of defenders. I'd guess his first choice back line would be Bellerin, Sok, Holding/Kos, Monreal. How often this season were all of those players available to him at the same time. Not forgetting the £90m wasted on Mustafi, Xhaka and Perez by Merci Arsene. I'm sure Emery could do a better job with half that budget.

If it's same old same old come end of next season, why would you still want to stick with Emery?

Maybe but he deserves until the end of next season surely. It’s only really the summer when transfers are properly conducted and this summer he will have seen his players for a full season and what they are about. He really hasnt been able to influence a window since he joined that he could make recommendations as those signings were probably identified by Mislintat without his influence.

If Özil goes I think we need a minimum of 5 players in before we can realistically challenge the top 4

New right back to offer competition to Bellerin
New dominant centre half
New left back ( although I think the club will stick with what we have)
New central attacking midfielder (to replace Özil and Ramsey)
New left winger

With additional players needed that would probably need to wait

New right sided attacker
New back up centre forward to replace Welbeck.....

We are just missing way too much to realistically get mad because we are not breaching the top 4

Post #314008  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:00 am 

The only hope I have is that if we could somehow sell Özil and Mustafi for 20 million each and maybe say Elneny for 10 we might be able to cobble together a budget of 100 million to bring in some of the players we so desperately need. Signing all 5 would be a stretch but you possibly could get 3 or 4

Post #314009  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 am 

socrates wrote:
If we are looking to raise some money a la Liverpool and Countinho then perhaps Guendouzi might just provide the answer. It can't be too long before the big boys start sniffing around.

Someone was suggesting yesterday that all the press about our 40 million budget might have deliberately leaked by the club to prepare fans understanding that the club will sell one of the strikers in the summer to generate funds to improve the whole team.

Not sure I believe this as it would be an act of unparalleled stupidity

Post #314010  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:53 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The defence wasn't fine before the injuries, its been shite all season. I've lost count of the gilt-edged chances we've gifted the opposition, even during the unbeaten run. We were/are playing a high line and teams were/are able to get in behind us at will. The difference in that period was that opponents weren't taking the chances whilst we had an extremely high chance conversion rate. It was only a matter of time before some of those chances began to be taken by teams and our chance conversion rate dipped a little.

Hi Soc.

I think that's partly true but also a little unfair as injuries have not allowed us to play a settled back line for any length of time. Understandings take a while to develop and flourish and the signs were quite positive with Sokratis and Holding. Bellerin has clearly improved too. However, I feel Mustafi is the real weak link in the CB dept. He may be less bad for some games, but he is not the top class defender I hoped he was. I would play Holding over him any day of the week when fit and for me Kos & Sokratis are better suited to us too. We should definitely offload in the summer.

Post #314011  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:01 am 

First summer signing?

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4708

Post #314012  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:26 am 

If you haven't listened to yesterdays bonus Arseblog Arsecast with David Ornstein, you really should. Gives an insight into what went on in January, the Mislintat situation, our finances etc. Well worth listening to.

Post #314013  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:32 pm 

Darren wrote:
If you haven't listened to yesterdays bonus Arseblog Arsecast with David Ornstein, you really should. Gives an insight into what went on in January, the Mislintat situation, our finances etc. Well worth listening to.

Yep - listened this morning, it's very good. Ornstein reckons our summer budget is closer to £100m rather than £40m

Post #314014  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The only hope I have is that if we could somehow sell Özil and Mustafi for 20 million each and maybe say Elneny for 10 we might be able to cobble together a budget of 100 million to bring in some of the players we so desperately need. Signing all 5 would be a stretch but you possibly could get 3 or 4

Chambers should probably go depending on the amount we can get - £20m? He's getting decent reviews at Fulham in a holding mid position, I'm just not convinced he's good enough for us. He would be useful right now to be able to cover RB and CB mind!

Post #314015  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:35 pm 

We didn't add Mavropanos to our Europa squad so we only have Sokratis, Kos, Mustafi as CBs for the rest of the Europa league campaign.

Post #314016  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:52 pm 

Rich wrote:
We didn't add Mavropanos to our Europa squad so we only have Sokratis, Kos, Mustafi as CBs for the rest of the Europa league campaign.

I read that Rich and was bemused as to why he was not included given the lack of quality and injuries we have in that area. There was talk a few weeks ago about how highly he was regarded but clearly not high enough to merit a place in the Europa squad, a competition which we need to have a right go at.

Another one of a number of baffling decisions from those in charge at the club.

Post #314017  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
Chambers should probably go depending on the amount we can get - £20m? He's getting decent reviews at Fulham in a holding mid position, I'm just not convinced he's good enough for us. He would be useful right now to be able to cover RB and CB mind!

I've got relatives who support Fulham. Apparently he was a disaster in central defence. They've been terrible at the back this season and they say it was down to Chambers as much as anyone. If anybody thinks Mustafi is bad, count yourself lucky we haven't had Chambers instead. Having said that, he's been better in midfield.

Post #314018  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:00 pm 

Rich wrote:

Is Medley in it?

Post #314019  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You have to include Mustafi as a player that improved too, until his injury. He's been poor since, but was part of the defence that you describe as fine until the injuries hit.

People are being too negative about Emery in my view. A number of existing players improved under him, I forgot to mention Iwobi who started well also despite falling away, and his new players have mostly done well (Guendouzi and Torreira way better than 'well'). Lichsteiner has been the exception, but was free, 34 and a one year fill in. What did people expect? He won't be an Arsenal player next season.

My main criticism of Emery has been deciding to play five at the back when four worked better. Yet he was left an unbalanced squad with various ordinary players with little money. Do people expect miracles? Özil was put on a huge contract before Emery arrived. Maybe he could have used him better, but he clearly doesn't fancy him. I think Emery has done more good than bad. He raised team spirit.

But the main problems were there before he arrived. If Kroenke isn't going to fund big money transfers, improviing things to the extent we want isn't going to happen overnight. People should be realistic. Sorting out Wenger's mess without big money isn't just a big job, it's a long job.

It isn't unrealistic to expect an improvement. That, after all, was the whole point of getting rid of Wenger. I thought our defending would improve. It hasn't. There was more grit about the team for a while but that seems to have disappeared. We have consistently put in totally ineffective first half performances. Why is that? I really hope things improve and Emery deserves another summer transfer window to change things. I'm not particularly confident that he will get things right. He seems to be a very conservative coach and hasn't managed to forge a cohesive attacking unit despite having some excellent creative players.

Post #314020  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It isn't unrealistic to expect an improvement. That, after all, was the whole point of getting rid of Wenger. I thought our defending would improve. It hasn't. There was more grit about the team for a while but that seems to have disappeared. We have consistently put in totally ineffective first half performances. Why is that? I really hope things improve and Emery deserves another summer transfer window to change things. I'm not particularly confident that he will get things right. He seems to be a very conservative coach and hasn't managed to forge a cohesive attacking unit despite having some excellent creative players.

We’ve only got 7 players good enough in our entire squad when all fit and at the moment 3 of them are injured. Emery isn’t beyond criticism and has got some things wrong without question but to fail to see that he’s screwed right now is just so harsh.

On the creative front Ramsey wasn’t his issue and hasn’t provided many impressive games this year likely because he’s leaving and Özil aside I see few excellent creative players you seem to.

Were 5 points better off to where we were last year at this time with many difficult games played. No matter what anybody says we are improved this year

Post #314021  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm 

Cardiff city have gone public with the information that Nantes are asking them for payment for Sala which they are obviously entitled to.

Just when you thought football couldn’t get any lower

Post #314022  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Cardiff city have gone public with the information that Nantes are asking them for payment for Sala which they are obviously entitled to.

Love it when you or anyone posts their disdain but doesn't state what side they are coming down on?

Imo Nantes have a right to demand the money as soon as he put pen to paper and the club's agreed he became a Cardiff player. They should have insured him and made sure his transport was safe.

It is a shame they are arguing over such an issue but the matter has to be settled one way or another.

Post #314023  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:29 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Love it when you or anyone posts their disdain but doesn't state what side they are coming down on?

Imo Nantes have a right to demand the money as soon as he put pen to paper and the club's agreed he became a Cardiff player. They should have insured him and made sure his transport was safe.

It is a shame they are arguing over such an issue but the matter has to be settled one way or another.

No I agree totally. Cardiff leaked the information to bbc wales. Totally inappropriate

Nantes are 15th in lique 1, of course they want payment he wasnt their player anymore.

Post #314024  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:54 pm 

Rich wrote:
Darren wrote:

Yep - listened this morning, it's very good. Ornstein reckons our summer budget is closer to £100m rather than £40m

He said including wages.

He's the clubs mouthpiece so the £100M is just spin - it's £45M + wages which is NOT £100M to spend on players in transfer fees!.

No doubt when things turn sour people will turn on Emery or Sanllehi, not the real problem which is and has always been Silent Stan.

And so the 'Wenger out' cycle continues as Arsenal slide further towards mediocrity. Our fans are too gullible.

Post #314025  Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

No I agree totally. Cardiff leaked the information to bbc wales. Totally inappropriate

Nantes are 15th in lique 1, of course they want payment he wasnt their player anymore.

Agree with both of you. Nantes have every right to ask for the money and Cardiff should pay it. I will actually find it embarrassing for Cardiff if they try and get out of paying via a legal dispute, unless of course there's some background information we're not aware of.

Of course it is tragic the player died, but Cardiff had already signed him and apparently the transfer fee wasn't linked to him playing a certain number of games. I fail to see any reason why Cardiff shouldn't pay the transfer fee they agreed with Nantes.

Post #314026  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:17 am 

bubblechris wrote:

I think the side called Humanity is relevant here. Just think of the families and friends of the two men in that plane. Money and football - a combination that never ceases to degrade.

Post #314027  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 am 

We’re the only side to not keep an away clean sheet. Won’t get a better chance than v Huddersfield.

Post #314028  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
We’re the only side to not keep an away clean sheet. Won’t get a better chance than v Huddersfield.

No chance :1laughter:

Post #314029  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

No chance :1laughter:

Well Mustafi is doubtful. So there's hope.

Post #314030  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:26 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I think the side called Humanity is relevant here. Just think of the families and friends of the two men in that plane. Money and football - a combination that never ceases to degrade.

Surely in this tragic situation UEFA or FIFA should step in and cover whatever costs have been incurred to the clubs. Both organisations awash with money so they could any arguments about monies owing/owed to bed immediately and saves the families of the victims additional grief.

Post #314031  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:55 pm 

tomc wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Surely in this tragic situation UEFA or FIFA should step in and cover whatever costs have been incurred to the clubs. Both organisations awash with money so they could any arguments about monies owing/owed to bed immediately and saves the families of the victims additional grief.

Cardiff will have insurance anyway. It’s all irrelevant and classless by Cardiff.

Post #314032  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:02 pm 

tomc wrote:

I don't get that at all. Why should they, whether UEFA & FIFA are awash with money or not?

Post #314033  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 pm 

Listening to Emery reminds me of the old sketch where Eric Morecambe says “I am playing all the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order”.

I recognise each of Unai’s words but at the end of each sentence I’m left thinking “what did he just say?”.

His latest interview on Sky Sports is a great example of this.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... y-day-woes

Post #314034  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

I don't get that at all. Why should they, whether UEFA & FIFA are awash with money or not?

Gesture of goodwill? Show that UEFA and FIFA have a heart after years of stories of corruption and lies?

Just my opinion Bernard.

Post #314035  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:04 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Gesture of goodwill? Show that UEFA and FIFA have a heart after years of stories of corruption and lies?

Just my opinion Bernard.

Cardiff city are contractually obliged to pay Nantes 15 million quid. It has nothing to do with fifa or anyone else.

Try telling your mortgage company things were tight over Christmas so you will be missing this months payment and see how far you get.

Post #314036  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

Just my opinion Bernard.

Cardiff city are contractually obliged to pay Nantes 15 million quid. It has nothing to do with fifa or anyone else.

Try telling your mortgage company things were tight over Christmas so you will be missing this months payment and see how far you get.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Post #314037  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

Just my opinion Bernard.

Mind you I might try that line with HSBC and see what the response is.

Post #314038  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Listening to Emery reminds me of the old sketch where Eric Morecambe says “I am playing all the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order”. I recognise each of Unai’s words but at the end of each sentence I’m left thinking “what did he just say?”.
He seems a decent enough bloke, and I suppose should be judged on his football management abilities, but it has to be said he is a communications disaster area. When you think of the loquacity of Bertie Mee and Terry Neill; the dour clarity of Don Howe and George Graham; and the humour of Arsene Wenger, poor old Dick is way behind. I think even Ossie Ardiles was more understandable.

Post #314039  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:46 pm 

tomc wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

The clubs should be able to sort it out themselves, but in a desperate time for both families, a bit of button-lip from them both wouldn't hurt. After all, there will still be a thing called money in a few weeks time - it won't go out of fashion.

Post #314040  Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
tomc wrote:
The clubs should be able to sort it out themselves, but in a desperate time for both families, a bit of button-lip from them both wouldn't hurt. After all, there will still be a thing called money in a few weeks time - it won't go out of fashion.

I'm with you Old Man. It's all about timing and this is just crass from both of them at this moment in time.

[ 390303 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7848, 7849, 7850, 7851, 7852, 7853, 7854 ... 9758  Next