Fixtures Sunday May 12th - Manchester United - Old Trafford - 4:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot, warrior and 51 guests

Post #307241  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 pm 

What a horrible team. It’s like watching England play a Pulis Stoke team. No intent to play football whatsoever. No intent to entertain.

Post #307242  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:02 pm 

Panama utter filth.

Sooner they go home the better.

Post #307243  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 pm 

6-0 England. Will they get to double digits before the end of the match? Panama deserves to be embarrassed, some of their players are downright dirty in their play.

Post #307244  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:38 pm 

But look at the celebrations when they score 6-1. That's the best part of the World Cup.

And they have a player named Fidel Escobar.

Post #307245  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:37 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
But look at the celebrations when they score 6-1. That's the best part of the World Cup.

Fans were great they deserved a less unpleasant team.

England's defence looks wobbly at times - Maguire especially.

Post #307246  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:48 pm 

I reckon we should lose next game to Belgium in which case next round is a doodle but the following round we will definitely avoid Brazil or Germany.

What odds are bookies offering on us losing to Belgium?

Post #307247  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I didn't like Belgium's yellow kit yesterday. Personal taste, but I don't like yellow full stop. So yellow football kits just don't do it for me. I agree with gooner7 that Mexico won't risk letting Sweden win because it could see them go out on goal difference if Germany slaughter Korea.

Having said that, I don't think he was right about Thomas Muller. He's hardly Peter Storey, Chopper Harris, Tommy Smith, Graham Roberts and countless othes reinvented, is he? Blimey, he's not even Mathieu Flamini.

His skill levels were Flaminiesque yesterday. I was amazed that Low didn't take him off. I also thought that second half was crying out for Özil. It was lots of effort and huff & puff from Germany when some craft and incision was needed.

As for yellow kits, I like them. Brazil's iconic shirt and many of our own away kits have been tremendous. Don't like Belgium's though. Best kit of this tournament has been Peru's with that wonderful red sash.

Muller played badly but what I mentioned Flamini for was gooner7's comment in post 496291, page 12408 that "Mueller is a very dirty player. I am surprised he needs to resort to unnecessary fouling." He's not what I call a dirty player.

It's a matter of taste. I don't like yellow. That includes Brazil's shirts, Belgium's shirts Arsenal's away shirts, yellow cars, ripe bananas, whatever.

Post #307248  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
His skill levels were Flaminiesque yesterday. I was amazed that Low didn't take him off. I also thought that second half was crying out for Özil. It was lots of effort and huff & puff from Germany when some craft and incision was needed.

As for yellow kits, I like them. Brazil's iconic shirt and many of our own away kits have been tremendous. Don't like Belgium's though. Best kit of this tournament has been Peru's with that wonderful red sash.

Muller played badly but what I mentioned Flamini for was gooner7's comment in post 496291, page 12408 that "Mueller is a very dirty player. I am surprised he needs to resort to unnecessary fouling." He's not what I call a dirty player.

It's a matter of taste. I don't like yellow. That includes Brazil's shirts, Belgium's shirts Arsenal's away shirts, yellow cars, ripe bananas, whatever.

Yes. I knew what you meant with regard to the Flamini reference. He's not dirty.

As for the colour yellow, I'll leave that to your therapist :icon_biggrin1:

Post #307249  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:11 pm 

Japan vs Senegal was one of the best matches so far. Felt badly for the Senegalese team which I thought were the better side.

Post #307250  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:08 am 

Hazuki wrote:

They stopped their dirty play in the 2nd half. Good for them. It was a wonderful celebration from team and fans, was very happy for them.

Post #307251  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

I think it was because of frustration that Mueller fouled. But didn't you see the few times he unnecessarily tripped the opposing player after the ball was gone? Overall he is not a dirty player, but he was doing a few rough house manoeuvers during the game. Perhaps the cameras deliberately panned to him during those times.

Post #307252  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:25 am 

I enjoyed the Japan/Senegal match. Both very positive teams, who play to win. I thought Japan was the better team, and surprisingly so. They were not overawed by the physical presence of the Senegal players. Gosh, it looked at giants against midgets out there. Yet, the Japanese players bravely ran at their opposition. Their nifty movement got them into good positions many times. I hope Poland sends out more of their reserve players in their last game. They are already out, and should let their fringe players enjoy their day at the World Cup. And at the same time, make it a tad bit easier for Japan.

Post #307253  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:40 am 

Bbc winning the coverage battle so far but watching Wright’s banter Roy Keane and others on ITV has been hysterical.

Post #307254  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:11 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Sorry for the Swedes..

I'm not. If you defend that deep, especially when the opposition a man down, you are asking for it. Craven stuff.

Post #307255  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 am 

gooner7 wrote:
6-0 England. Will they get to double digits before the end of the match? Panama deserves to be embarrassed, some of their players are downright dirty in their play.

I reckon they could have and I wish they had. Panama were a disgrace.

Lingard looked great after his knock on the head. Kane has ice in his veins and the luck of the devil.

Post #307256  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Never seen a Swedish team cause this much trouble for Germany. Could've scored three goals and I think it was a penalty on Berg as well. Germany look completely disoriented.

There were two good penalty claims early on which the ref ridiculously ignored.

Bloody Germans. Back to their old MO of stinking the place out and yet somehow still coming through. More Zermürbungskrieg than Blitzkrieg.

Post #307257  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:38 am 

gooner7, you said yourself, Muller is not a dirty player. I did that post because you said he was. Niggly, yes. But no way dirty.

Post #307258  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:29 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Never seen a Swedish team cause this much trouble for Germany. Could've scored three goals and I think it was a penalty on Berg as well. Germany look completely disoriented.

There were two good penalty claims early on which the ref ridiculously ignored.

Bloody Germans. Back to their old MO of stinking the place out and yet somehow still coming through. More Zermürbungskrieg than Blitzkrieg.

30 seconds from going out. Gutted. Ah well our boys will just have to a number on the Germans, should our paths cross. It's long overdue.

Post #307259  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bbc winning the coverage battle so far but watching Wright’s banter Roy Keane and others on ITV has been hysterical.

Not to mention Wrighty's shirts. They're a bit urgent.

Post #307260  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7, you said yourself, Muller is not a dirty player. I did that post because you said he was. Niggly, yes. But no way dirty.

Ok, I concede. He's niggly.

Post #307261  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:33 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Ok, I concede. He's niggly.

Niggly’s just a variant of dirty

Post #307262  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:09 pm 

dec wrote:
...Best kit of this tournament has been Peru's with that wonderful red sash.
Yes it is a top kit, as is the traditional blue and black of Uruguay.
On Germany, this may not be their usual strong squad but they are great fighters and a team. Gutted as I was for Sweden it would have been a travesty if Germany had not won that match. For me Germany remain the side to beat.

Post #307263  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm 

Ash wrote:
Niggly’s just a variant of dirty

Suppose you see fairly bright as a variant of genius.

Post #307264  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 pm 

Another cracking game and Spain snatching a draw by the look of things against a really spirited Morocco side.
And Iran score a late equalizer against Portugal looks like Spain might win the group .
What a world cup I'm absolutely loving it so far.
Group winners play Russia and second play Uruguay - a far tougher opponent I'd say.

Post #307265  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:02 pm 

Huge RESPECT to both Iran and Morroco :53big-emoticons:

Post #307266  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 pm 

The Iranians were making unnecessary threats all game

Post #307267  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 pm 

The VAR wouldn’t be an issue if the refs had bollocks to maintain a correct decision, as soon as it goes to VAR it’s getting given once it’s been slowed down.

Post #307268  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The VAR wouldn’t be an issue if the refs had bollocks to maintain a correct decision, as soon as it goes to VAR it’s getting given once it’s been slowed down.

It's a shambles. Blatant red card for Ronaldo not given. Maybe the ref was told not to send him off. The Iran peno was daft and then you had the Serbian forward being rugby tackled by two Swiss defenders the other night and the ref doesn't go to VAR and gives a free out.

Post #307269  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It's a shambles. Blatant red card for Ronaldo not given. Maybe the ref was told not to send him off.

I didn’t think it was. Agreed it was yellow. The Iran player was acting up and exaggerating some niggles.

I think the main problem now is certain teams are literally playing to a slow motion VAR decision so are play acting. The Iran penalty was ludicrous just absolutely insane.

Post #307270  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:05 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
It's a shambles. Blatant red card for Ronaldo not given. Maybe the ref was told not to send him off.

I didn’t think it was. Agreed it was yellow. The Iran player was acting up and exaggerating some niggles..

I don't think Ronaldo's one was worthy of a red either. If a red for that was applied as the decision consistently, eleven a side games would finish as five a side matches. For me a yellow was right.

Mark Lawrenson was the BBC's co-commentator for the game. He didn't think Portugal's penalty should have been given because Ronaldo wasn't in full control of the ball. Does that matter, even if he wasn't? I'd have thought a penalty should be awarded for fouls in the area regardless of whether the attacking player has full cmtrol of the ball.

Post #307271  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:11 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Another cracking game and Spain snatching a draw by the look of things against a really spirited Morocco side.
And Iran score a late equalizer against Portugal looks like Spain might win the group .
Group winners play Russia and second play Uruguay - a far tougher opponent I'd say.

Portugal now get Uruguay. Shame as I'd have been interested to see Torreira against Spain's midfield.

Post #307272  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 am 

It was a deliberate elbow to the face. That is classed as violent conduct and a red card. There is no yellow card sanction for deliberately elbowing an opponent. The yellow shown by the ref was a cop out. As Liam Brady said on Rte, Fifa don't want a star playeri missing 3 games of the world cup.

Post #307273  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:00 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I didn’t think it was. Agreed it was yellow. The Iran player was acting up and exaggerating some niggles..

I don't think Ronaldo's one was worthy of a red either. If a red for that was applied as the decision consistently, eleven a side games would finish as five a side matches. For me a yellow was right.

Mark Lawrenson was the BBC's co-commentator for the game. He didn't think Portugal's penalty should have been given because Ronaldo wasn't in full control of the ball. Does that matter, even if he wasn't? I'd have thought a penalty should be awarded for fouls in the area regardless of whether the attacking player has full cmtrol of the ball.

For me I agreed with Lawrenson. He wasnt in control of the ball fully but there was also something else about it that made it look a pre orchestrated attempt to run into the box and fall over. You have to be convinced and I wasn’t. When you slow everything down to examine the slightest touch it practically makes a far more likely chance of getting a decision and there will be a record amounts of penalties in this world cup

If you think the VAR madness is bad now imagine what it will be like when we reach the knockout stages. Some of the cheating in the World Cup has been shocking

Post #307274  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Portugal now get Uruguay. Shame as I'd have been interested to see Torreira against Spain's midfield.

I'm picking Uruguay to beat Portugal.

Post #307275  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 am 

dec wrote:
It was a deliberate elbow to the face. That is classed as violent conduct and a red card. There is no yellow card sanction for deliberately elbowing an opponent. The yellow shown by the ref was a cop out. As Liam Brady said on Rte, Fifa don't want a star playeri missing 3 games of the world cup.

I’m not sure there was much actual contact. Not like the guy walked away with a broken nose.

Post #307276  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

For me I agreed with Lawrenson. He wasnt in control of the ball fully but there was also something else about it that made it look a pre orchestrated attempt to run into the box and fall over. You have to be convinced and I wasn’t. When you slow everything down to examine the slightest touch it practically makes a far more likely chance of getting a decision and there will be a record amounts of penalties in this world cup

If you think the VAR madness is bad now imagine what it will be like when we reach the knockout stages. Some of the cheating in the World Cup has been shocking

There were two interesting ones in the Morocco game.

For the first Morocco goal, Ramos got his studs into the attacker's foot. This was only visible on the slow motion replay. Had the attacker gone down it would have been a red card without doubt. But he stayed on his feet and scored.

For Spain's equaliser, the assistant ref ruled it offside. On var it looked exactly in line so the goal stood. However, a) if it looks exactly in line how can the var officials be sure it wasn't a milimetre offside? How fine is the resolution? b) should they be interfering with such close ones?

Post #307277  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:55 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'm picking Uruguay to beat Portugal.

I'm hoping Uruguay beats Protugal

Post #307278  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:26 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

I’m not sure there was much actual contact. Not like the guy walked away with a broken nose.

If it had been the other way round would the Iranian have been sent off?

Neymar not getting a yellow for that dive also makes it a bit of a mockery. How can that not be a yellow card?

Post #307279  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'm just not sure whether it even matters if he wasn't fully in control of the ball. Penalties can, and sometimes are, given when defenders hold forwards when a corner is on its way into the box. The ball can be feet or even yards from them, so nobody will have it under control. The issue is surely whether Ronaldo was actually fouled in the box, which may be debatable, not whether he was fully in control of the ball. But it was the control issue that Lawrenson seemed to focus on.

EDIT: Oh dear. Non-yellow again.

Post #307280  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'm just not sure whether it even matters if he wasn't fully in control of the ball. Penalties can, and sometimes are, given when defenders hold forwards when a corner is on its way into the box. The ball can be feet or even yards from them, so nobody will have it under control. The issue is surely whether Ronaldo was actually fouled in the box, which may be debatable, not whether he was fully in control of the ball. But it was the control issue that Lawrenson seemed to focus on.

EDIT: Oh dear. Non-yellow again.

But you said you don't like yellow? :1laughter:

But I agree with your point about fouls. The control issue is silly.

[ 390583 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7679, 7680, 7681, 7682, 7683, 7684, 7685 ... 9765  Next