Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 60 guests

Post #305841  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:41 pm 

Wenger couldn't have asked for a better final home game. Really good performance against an admittedly poor Burnley side.

For me this game served as an appetizer for next season. Really looking forward to see what these players can do under a new manager and with a couple of additions. There's a lot of talent in this squad.

Post #305842  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:50 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Wenger couldn't have asked for a better final home game. Really good performance against an admittedly poor Burnley side.

For me this game served as an appetizer for next season. Really looking forward to see what these players can do under a new manager and with a couple of additions. There's a lot of talent in this squad.

Last three games sum it all up.

Lose to United

Fail to win massive game and go out of Europe

Thrash lower team at home with some lovely football in utterly inconsequential game.

Vintage Wenger.

Post #305843  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:54 pm 

Wenger has contributed massively to the club and needed to be honoured but I find the Merci Arsene T shirts and mini zeppelins etc a bit strange ; more akin to someone leaving on their own terms when in effect he's been sacked .

Good goals , fitting send off .

Post #305844  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:57 pm 

Fighting back the tears, good luck and merci Arsene.

Post #305845  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:03 pm 

Niall wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7: off to the hardware store for a few gallons of paint ...?

Post #305846  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:14 pm 

lomekian wrote:
To raise a serious question on the subject, why are you pro-Brexit?

First because of the disrespect shown to GB when they refused to give Cameron anything despite the fact that GB has been the second biggest contributor to the EU family since I think we joined.

Second because of the way they treated Greece and Cyprus. They took over the management of the Greek economy when they had a deficit of 120 billion euros and five years later it stood at 500 million euros. They allowed the haircut of Cypriot deposits to rectify a financial situation when they bore a lot of responsibility because the European Central Bank refused to censor the Cypriot Central Bank Director who they and only they could censor.

Third the obscene wages and expenses paid to the MPs and unelected EU Ministers etc etc.

Fourth the way they have refused to help Italy and Greece with the influx of refugees in their countries in particular while giving the Turks billions for allowing the refugees to cross Turkey to get to the greek mainland.

Fifth they have done nothing to help the less fortunate amongst us and the low paid whilst allowing the rich to get richer at their expense.

I could go on and on but what's the point. The fact is that a lot of people that voted remain know absolutely nothing about the machinations of the likes of Juncker Tusk Merkel and others and who think that by leaving the EU seem to think we are deserting Europe, nothing could be further from the truth.

Rule Britannia.................

Post #305847  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:17 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Daz wrote:
Which is partly why I could never vote for any *%^@** who thought Iran, Cuba, Russia or Venezuela offered a desirable alternative naming no names.

Indeed. You look at what the poor bastards living in those countries have to go through, and it makes one very grateful for our own position of merely economic slavery in exchange for mostly freedom.

I'd say things wont be quite so rosy in say ten or fifteen years time .

Letting in a heap of Muslim immigrants when the RAF and the British army have been instrumental in killing their relatives and creating chaos in Iraq, Libya , Syria, Yemen doesn't seem the wisest thing to do .
I can't see anything but trouble on the horizon .

Post #305848  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:17 pm 

Aubameyang has finally shown what he can do with his speed. We have been waiting for another TH14 type player. We can now hope the new manager utilise his talent to its fullest.

Post #305849  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:38 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Niall wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7: off to the hardware store for a few gallons of paint ...?

I'm an emotional old sod Kiwi underneath the manly exterior. :icon_smile11:

Without being melodramatic, Arsene Wenger has been in my life longer than my own father was. I've admired him for a long time and spent countless hours invested in his teams albeit from the mighty armchair. (I might have to replace that now)

Whilst I agree the time is right and I'm looking forward to a new chapter, I can't pretend the passing of this era isn't emotional on a human level.

Post #305850  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:42 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
lomekian wrote:
To raise a serious question on the subject, why are you pro-Brexit?

First because of the disrespect shown to GB when they refused to give Cameron anything despite the fact that GB has been the second biggest contributor to the EU family since I think we joined.

Second because of the way they treated Greece and Cyprus. They took over the management of the Greek economy when they had a deficit of 120 billion euros and five years later it stood at 500 million euros. They allowed the haircut of Cypriot deposits to rectify a financial situation when they bore a lot of responsibility because the European Central Bank refused to censor the Cypriot Central Bank Director who they and only they could censor.

Third the obscene wages and expenses paid to the MPs and unelected EU Ministers etc etc.

Fourth the way they have refused to help Italy and Greece with the influx of refugees in their countries in particular while giving the Turks billions for allowing the refugees to cross Turkey to get to the greek mainland.

Fifth they have done nothing to help the less fortunate amongst us and the low paid whilst allowing the rich to get richer at their expense.

I could go on and on but what's the point. The fact is that a lot of people that voted remain know absolutely nothing about the machinations of the likes of Juncker Tusk Merkel and others and who think that by leaving the EU seem to think we are deserting Europe, nothing could be further from the truth.

Just out of interest, would you accept the north of Ireland staying in the customs union in order to achieve a Brexit outside the customs union for England, Scotland and Wales?

Post #305851  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:45 pm 

lomekian wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

That's Antony Taylor for you and they number him as one of their best...................

Anyone who thinks Antony Taylor is one of our best refs is an idiot! He's not as bad as some but he's totally inconsistent, within games as well as between them. One of those guys obsessed with game management and protecting the product regardless what's going on. Michael Oliver may make the odd cock-up but he's a far far better ref than Taylor.

Not one English ref is going to the world cup. That says it all about standards though I think Oliver is good myself.

Post #305852  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:53 pm 

lomekian wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Ok 1) Cameron retained the power to opt in and opt out of all kinds of EU-laws (that most other members had no choice about) that he decided to piss up against the wall to try to settle an internal party dispute. If we ever return to the EU, we'll never have as much power again.
2) Agree the Greek and particularly Cypriot situation was handled really badly, but on the flip side the Greek government was handing out public funding left right and centre and accumulating debt in a way that even Jezza would be worried about, despite bleeding money and building up debt, despite multiple warnings. As ever, neither side has told this story truthfully.
3) Should I point you to UK MP's, the Lords, and the companies operate in PPP like manners over here, were those creaming off the most are not only unelected, but actively acting for personal profit.
4) They should certainly be doing more to help Greece & Italy, but Germany has taken on vast numbers. Sadly, a number of EU member states are still spectacularly racist.
5) Are you sure you aren't talking about the UK government? A lot of the laws that protect employees, consumers, and human rights for the poor are directly the result of EU legislation. This is the argument I have least truck with as a vote for Brexit is a vote to give more power to those who have been shafting the less well off the most. Taking power back is one thing, but doing so in order to give it to those who have relentless fecked us at every opportunity, are trying to privatise the NHS, have done nothing to alleviate the housing crisis, have slashed benefits for the most vulnerable but nothing to look at tax evasion (unlike the EU) etc etc is, to my mind, stupidity personified.

Rule Brittania? (i presume you are being sarcastic), but rule what exactly?

That could only be a wind-up.

If Brexit is hard and a disaster, I anticipate the break up of the union within 20-30 years with the prospect of returning to the EU a further carrot for Scottish and Irish Nationalists (backed by Dublin). 45% of Scots are already in favour of independence and much in favour of staying in the EU. In the north, only a matter of time before there is a border poll with demographics pointing to a nationalist majority by 2022 which will only grow wider by 2040.

Post #305853  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:46 pm 

lomekian wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Ok 1) Cameron retained the power to opt in and opt out of all kinds of EU-laws (that most other members had no choice about) that he decided to piss up against the wall to try to settle an internal party dispute. If we ever return to the EU, we'll never have as much power again.
2) Agree the Greek and particularly Cypriot situation was handled really badly, but on the flip side the Greek government was handing out public funding left right and centre and accumulating debt in a way that even Jezza would be worried about, despite bleeding money and building up debt, despite multiple warnings. As ever, neither side has told this story truthfully.
3) Should I point you to UK MP's, the Lords, and the companies operate in PPP like manners over here, were those creaming off the most are not only unelected, but actively acting for personal profit.
4) They should certainly be doing more to help Greece & Italy, but Germany has taken on vast numbers. Sadly, a number of EU member states are still spectacularly racist.
5) Are you sure you aren't talking about the UK government? A lot of the laws that protect employees, consumers, and human rights for the poor are directly the result of EU legislation. This is the argument I have least truck with as a vote for Brexit is a vote to give more power to those who have been shafting the less well off the most. Taking power back is one thing, but doing so in order to give it to those who have relentless fecked us at every opportunity, are trying to privatise the NHS, have done nothing to alleviate the housing crisis, have slashed benefits for the most vulnerable but nothing to look at tax evasion (unlike the EU) etc etc is, to my mind, stupidity personified.

Would somebody be kind enough to pick up Bubblechris smoking corpse after this post. We cant have it ruining the whole place.

Post #305854  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:08 pm 

Niall wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Anyone who thinks Antony Taylor is one of our best refs is an idiot! He's not as bad as some but he's totally inconsistent, within games as well as between them. One of those guys obsessed with game management and protecting the product regardless what's going on. Michael Oliver may make the odd cock-up but he's a far far better ref than Taylor.

Not one English ref is going to the world cup. That says it all about standards though I think Oliver is good myself.

Nothing to do with standards , clattenberg was on the fifa list but he jacked it in go to India , all countries have one ref each , we don’t have another one after him , hence no ref.

The various refs who work in the media now ( Poll, Halsey etc) have mentioned this more than once but the written media have their agenda and it makes a better story so they ignore it,

Post #305855  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:37 pm 

Niall wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Just out of interest, would you accept the north of Ireland staying in the customs union in order to achieve a Brexit outside the customs union for England, Scotland and Wales?

Absolutely not. The Governments proposals of cameras and other checks work in other places and could work here.

Anyway it's for the EU to sort out it is their problem.

Post #305856  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 pm 

Niall wrote:
lomekian wrote:

If Brexit is hard and a disaster, I anticipate the break up of the union within 20-30 years with the prospect of returning to the EU a further carrot for Scottish and Irish Nationalists (backed by Dublin). 45% of Scots are already in favour of independence and much in favour of staying in the EU. In the north, only a matter of time before there is a border poll with demographics pointing to a nationalist majority by 2022 which will only grow wider by 2040.

The EU will break up before the Union does. The outbreaks of fascism are becoming par for the course and need to be eradicated. The only way to do this is to reform the EU.

Somebody tell TG that Europe needs us more than we need them. Apart from the loss of our contributions who will Germany sell their cars to ad the French their wine to?

Post #305857  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:49 pm 

Niall wrote:

Whilst I agree the time is right and I'm looking forward to a new chapter, I can't pretend the passing of this era isn't emotional on a human level.

:laughing7: How true Niall ... Melanie once PM'd me , said you were off your food for a week after James the little Red Engine crashed into a field on his first outing .

On Arsene I'm more pragmatic ... I laud what he has done in the past but don't have the admiration now as his Professor mantle has well and truly slipped , I wish him all the best but don't feel a lot of emotion either way .

I don't even feel a sense of excitement about the new bloke to be honest , strangely my sporting interests have changed radically .

70s 80s 90s I was passionate about rugby union , English soccer , tennis ...... now it is NZ one day/ T20 cricket , Aussie rugby league and V8 supercars

Post #305858  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:50 pm 

lomekian wrote:

Do you know what the EU MP's get. Around 140 thousand euros a year and they get paid for a first class flight when they attend whether they flew with Ryanair or Easyjet however many times they attend.

I agree all expenses should be reviewed in light of the current economical situation not just EU expenses as it is you and me paying their absurd claims and they should and must be carefully examined regularly.

Rule Britannia, yes it was said in jest but we could return to the good old days when we do deals with the Commonwealth Nations and the US.

Post #305859  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:00 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Do you know what the EU MP's get. Around 140 thousand euros a year and they get paid for a first class flight when they attend whether they flew with Ryanair or Easyjet however many times they attend.

I agree all expenses should be reviewed in light of the current economical situation not just EU expenses as it is you and me paying their absurd claims and they should and must be carefully examined regularly.

Rule Britannia, yes it was said in jest but we could return to the good old days when we do deals with the Commonwealth Nations and the US.

I guess this was a propaganda promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYqzcqDtL3k

Post #305860  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:11 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Niall wrote:

The EU will break up before the Union does. The outbreaks of fascism are becoming par for the course and need to be eradicated. The only way to do this is to reform the EU.

Somebody tell TG that Europe needs us more than we need them. Apart from the loss of our contributions who will Germany sell their cars to ad the French their wine to?

Dream on mate.

Post #305861  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Niall wrote:

Absolutely not. The Governments proposals of cameras and other checks work in other places and could work here.

Anyway it's for the EU to sort out it is their problem.

You're killing me lol

Post #305862  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:33 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Niall wrote:

:laughing7: How true Niall ... Melanie once PM'd me , said you were off your food for a week after James the little Red Engine crashed into a field on his first outing .

On Arsene I'm more pragmatic ... I laud what he has done in the past but don't have the admiration now as his Professor mantle has well and truly slipped , I wish him all the best but don't feel a lot of emotion either way .

I don't even feel a sense of excitement about the new bloke to be honest , strangely my sporting interests have changed radically .

70s 80s 90s I was passionate about rugby union , English soccer , tennis ...... now it is NZ one day/ T20 cricket , Aussie rugby league and V8 supercars

I had just got over James.

Post #305863  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:49 pm 

Was it me or did it look like Kroenke got booed today? He was on screen on tv and I’m sure I heard booing.

Post #305864  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:02 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Niall wrote:

HAHAHAHA

HOHOHO

He hee hee

Rod, Jane & Freddy come and collect your people please

Post #305865  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:09 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Holy *%^@ bro. I wasn't going to comment apart to say it's likely to cost every single person 6 euros to fly into Europe after Brexit never mind the untold hike in other costs so the first class flight for the EU MP might not be the worst of the damage possible.

But as this *%^@ is liquid gold ignore it and continue

Post #305866  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:29 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Sorry to hear the news about Alex Ferguson. Hope he gets well soon.

Aye - he looked in good spirits with Arsene last week too.

Echo that BTW a brain haemorrhage took my dad so good luck Alex

Post #305867  Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:58 pm 

I was thrilled to see Mertesacker's last game for the club (presumably) and so much enjoyed the welcome he got from the fans. The Guardian described it as him bringing the house down. I felt quite emotional about it. Now he's finished playing I will see him as an Arsenal legend.

He was much better than some here gave him credit for, and his calm organisation made Per a very important player. As I've said before, I believe he had a big role in turning Koscielny into the player he became, regardless of whether he might now be finished himself at the very top level.

I routinely consider it a privilege for players to play for Arsenal. Mertesacker is one of a much smaller number who I see the club as privileged to have had him play for it.

Post #305868  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:41 am 

Babu III wrote:
And he's got freaky bug eyes.

He's a wrong un I tell ya!

His "bug" eyes aren't bothering his Ms. Turkey partner, but then she's Turkish. :angel8:

Post #305869  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Well written piece. This bit hits nail on the head

Not winning the title? Don’t worry about it better luck next time. No longer even competing for the title now? Don’t’ worry about it better luck next time, here’s to another wage rise! Struggling to make the top four? Don’t worry about it the bank balance still looks rosy. Out of the top four and well below Spurs? No biggie we all have bad luck some times. 15 Points off the top four and struggling to finish in sixth place above the might of Burnley? No real issue there.

It really has only come to a head because 20,000 fans have started to not turn up to games on a regular basis which in turn opens the whole worlds eyes to the fact that our club has become a total joke. Panic stations everybody. The club has taken an age to make change happen not because they want on-field success but purely because the bottom line has started to take a hit with the lack of Champions League revenue and in stadium match day revenue. It looks bad on TV to the commercial partners and that is why they have let Arsene go.

http://www.onlinegooner.com/article.php ... u1oHdHTWhA

Especially the 2nd paragraph says it really. It's spot on.

Post #305870  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:57 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
My guess is the fans are so happy to be rid of Wenger and start anew they will come out for the new manager initially and may change depending on how he does over time. I don't think fans will be as patient this time around though.

No demise of AFTV, as they'll have a new manager to latch onto. Business as usual.

Post #305871  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:59 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Is that TG in a white t shirt?

With a tear in his eye no less :1laughter:

A wet T-shirt? :1laughter:

Post #305872  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Wenger has contributed massively to the club and needed to be honoured but I find the Merci Arsene T shirts and mini zeppelins etc a bit strange ; more akin to someone leaving on their own terms when in effect he's been sacked .

Good goals , fitting send off .

No more Francenal.

Post #305873  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:56 am 

Apparently a record equalling home scoring record. Given the state of this season that's hard to believe.

Post #305874  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
I was thrilled to see Mertesacker's last game for the club (presumably) and so much enjoyed the welcome he got from the fans. The Guardian described it as him bringing the house down. I felt quite emotional about it. Now he's finished playing I will see him as an Arsenal legend.

He was much better than some here gave him credit for, and his calm organisation made Per a very important player. As I've said before, I believe he had a big role in turning Koscielny into the player he became, regardless of whether he might now be finished himself at the very top level.

I routinely consider it a privilege for players to play for Arsenal. Mertesacker is one of a much smaller number who I see the club as privileged to have had him play for it.

Leiber Gott .... let's not get to misty eyed here . Nice guy he was ; an Arsenal legend he wasn't .

What about the snail pace , ducking out of the way / turning his back on a goal bound shot , beaten in the air by blokes eight inches shorter .... he was very lucky to ply his trade with Arsenal ; not the reverse .

Post #305875  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:41 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Leiber Gott .... let's not get to misty eyed here . Nice guy he was ; an Arsenal legend he wasn't .

But can anyone really say what constitutes a legend? Question for the forum.

Post #305876  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:30 am 

It's gone under the radar a bit because Mavro has been quite impressive but I think Chambers has been excellent in recent weeks. It looks like he is now compensating for a slight lack of pace with some excellent positioning, reading of the game and aggression.

Is he good enough for the long term? Hard to say at this stage but he has certainly improved markedly in recent weeks.

Obviously, Mavro looks a beast but he is still incredibly raw and I can't help but think we need to reserve judgement for a while yet. We all raved about Chambers and Holding when they first appeared on the scene so not point getting carried away just yet. I like Mavro's aerial presence and his strength but I want to see him tested more in one v one's, especially against real pace and trickery, before making any judgements.

Post #305877  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:18 am 

Really surprised that Henry wasn't there for Arsene's last game at the Emirates. He's gone down in my estimation.

He's a crap pundit, anyway, so its not like Sky would have missed his analysis :laughing7:

Post #305878  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 am 

socrates wrote:
It's gone under the radar a bit because Mavro has been quite impressive but I think Chambers has been excellent in recent weeks. It looks like he is now compensating for a slight lack of pace with some excellent positioning, reading of the game and aggression.

Agreed, he has looked really good. Good enough that I’ve done a 180 about his future and I now think we should hold on to him. He’s one of many players who has looked really poor at times but has shown enough glimpses of talent that I’d like to see what they can do under a new manager. It’s a theme throughout our entire squad, there are not many that I’d get rid of, except for the ones we need to sell to make room for additions.

Really like the look of Mavropanos as well. Early doors, but he looks composed, obviously he has the physical tools, and I loved when he went up for an aerial duel and just took the opponent out. Clear free kick, and in a game of actual importance it would’ve been a bit annoying to concede such an unnecessary foul, but there was something endearing about seeing an Arsenal defender “letting the opponent know he’s there” as the neanderthal pundits would’ve described it.

Post #305879  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:48 am 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

But can anyone really say what constitutes a legend? Question for the forum.

We probably all have our own ideas about what makes someone a legend. Mertesacker isn't one for kiwipete. That's completely fair enough, though I think he grossly exagerrates many of his negatives as a player (apart from the lack of pace). But I certainly see Mertesacker as an Arsenal legend, which is also completely fair enough.

Post #305880  Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:52 am 

[ 390300 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7644, 7645, 7646, 7647, 7648, 7649, 7650 ... 9758  Next