Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 78 guests

Post #298201  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:21 am 

Any kind of win this weekend including a ball bounced of someone's butt or a wrong referee decision that goes our way. Lord knows we have had plenty of bad decisions, time for us to get some of those repaid.

Post #298202  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 am 

:emoticon_mClapp: :glasses13:
old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...If the reason is someone's post is boring, unimaginative, asinine from a football point of view, so what? Was this forum set up for people we agreed with and liked their prose? If is some old beef about something football or non football such as politics, religion or what have you, do we move on or carry on a grudge that escalates into some of the posts that led to block certain folks. It could be you next. Think about that...
You are right AG. As a less frequent user of this forum these days it is noticeable to me how frequently your posts are met with some sort of negative comment, usually flippant but occasionally more personally vindictive. That it doesn't seem to bother you that much is very amusing. The sound of water running off a duck's back is a good one.

ZZZZ

Post #298203  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:32 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I went to youtube in search of clips from the '60s Manchester derbies to get an idea about them. I ended up looking at a clip of recent derbies (over the last 10 years or so) and I was very surprised how hotly contested and dangerous they were! I am reminded of just how nasty Roy Keane was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHlIuOSYB8
That foul from Keano deserved three red cards. Genuinely dirty barstud.

Post #298204  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:53 pm 

One of the main reasons I am automatically logged in. :icon_mrgreen1:

In football news. Hang on Hammers, hang on!!!

Post #298205  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:25 pm 

woooooohhooooooooooooooo we're back on track, Chelsea lose at West Ham. Moyesy miracle.

Post #298206  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:47 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Can admins be blocked? hahaha....interesting question from a technical viewpoint actually. :icon_mrgreen1: :icon_mrgreen1:

Nope - "Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."

Post #298207  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:03 pm 

N5er wrote:
hey all... hows tricks?

Nice to see you're alive and well N5er. :icon_smile11:

Post #298208  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:09 pm 

AG....Have you read other football books aside from Fever Pitch?
Just morbid curiosity.

Post #298209  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:31 pm 

Yes, several hooligan biographies, because of morbid curiosity. Far Corner by Harry Pearson about football in the northeast. Hmmm...these were many moons ago. A few more I can't remember. Tons of documentaries.

Post #298210  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:51 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Yes, several hooligan biographies, because of morbid curiosity. Far Corner by Harry Pearson about football in the northeast.
Far Corner is one of the best and funniest football books. His 'Tall man In A Low Land', about Belgium is a cracker too.

Post #298211  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:03 pm 

Warrior, what happened to all the pre-January 2008 posts (original forum - I believe)? There were great posts on there back in the late nineties - (from Steve especially - Slagging the newly acquired TH14!). Just curious as there were some characters on the forum back then that have disapeared into the ether...I actually met my wife in 1997 (thanks to Steves forum) after a New years eve meeting/session at a bar in San Diego with original forum member Clock End Cowboy! - Happy holidays all !

Post #298212  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:11 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Yes, several hooligan biographies, because of morbid curiosity. Far Corner by Harry Pearson about football in the northeast.
Far Corner is one of the best and funniest football books. His 'Tall man In A Low Land', about Belgium is a cracker too.

Far Corner immediately came to my mind because I enjoyed it very much. I'll have to give the other book a read. Thanks for the recommendation.
I have a tonne of biographies I want to read. Arsenal and non Arsenal related. I will have a lot of free time after the holidays. I will catch up on my reading. Possibly next season, I plan to take a month going to different matches in England. Arsenal and non Arsenal. Brentford for sure as far as non Arsenal sides goes. I want to see a lot of the different grounds around the country.
Due to the 6 degrees of separation that Facebook as become I discovered I have distant relatives in England (London, Coventry, one or two other spots).

Post #298213  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:41 pm 

Roastbeef wrote:
Warrior, what happened to all the pre-January 2008 posts (original forum - I believe)? There were great posts on there back in the late nineties - (from Steve especially - Slagging the newly acquired TH14!). Just curious as there were some characters on the forum back then that have disapeared into the ether...I actually met my wife in 1997 (thanks to Steves forum) after a New years eve meeting/session at a bar in San Diego with original forum member Clock End Cowboy! - Happy holidays all !

I am pretty sure that Steve would have banned a certain poster by now. He dished out the equivalent of a red card in ways that make some of the current referees look like they know what they are doing.

Post #298214  Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 pm 

A number of footy books. The John King ones, Englad Away, Skinheads, Headhunters, White Trash, Football Factory.
Theatre of Silence by Matthew Bazell, Steaming In by Colin Ward.

Post #298215  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:09 am 

Roastbeef wrote:

Hi

The archived pages are actually there but the sub-domain was broken. I have just repaired it.

It might take a little while for it to begin working again.

I'll repost a link when it comes back up. Should be a few hours.

Post #298216  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:18 am 

Zed wrote:
A number of footy books. The John King ones, Englad Away, Skinheads, Headhunters, White Trash, Football Factory.
Theatre of Silence by Matthew Bazell, Steaming In by Colin Ward.

Great!! Thanks. I'm going to check Amazon. I have a lot of time on my hands in the new year so I want to catch up on reading. I used to love to read. Seen a bunch of documentaries though.

Post #298217  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:06 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

The mistake most sportsmen and their writers make is they start at the beginning , everything in chronological order .....it is so f***% bland ....

" when I played for the Gillingham Under 7's nah nah nah nah nah then I made the Biggin Hill first team blah blah blah .... ZZZZ .

No -one wants to know that sh**ght

You have to grab the reader by the nuts right from the outset ... something like " sticking hot day and we are playing Leicester , five minutes into the game and I crunched Robbie Savage , I hated that blond candy flossed fairy "

Andre Agassi's book is like that ...jumps right into the action ; quarter final in one of the Grand Slams , he's got stitch , gout , gallstones , blisters but grits his teeth advantage , deuce , advantage describes the rallies ....you are living every point . Later on he goes back in time his father was a pr**ck etc .
Mentions how Sampras tipped the waiter $1 .

Post #298218  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...Possibly next season, I plan to take a month going to different matches in England. Arsenal and non Arsenal. Brentford for sure as far as non Arsenal sides goes. I want to see a lot of the different grounds around the country...
If you are in England planning to go to football don't miss out on the non-league scene. Naturally I recommend a visit to Dartford FC, but one trip I did recently was up to Sheffield F.C., recognised as the oldest football club in the world. My son and I were two of the 389 fans who saw 'The Club' edge Newcastle Town 4-3. You'd love the experience.

Post #298219  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:31 am 

kiwipete wrote:
The mistake most sportsmen and their writers make is they start at the beginning , everything in chronological order .....it is so f***% bland .... " when I played for the Gillingham Under 7's nah nah nah nah nah then I made the Biggin Hill first team blah blah blah .... ZZZZ . No -one wants to know that sh**ght...
Hi Kiwi - interested to read that point. I am just concluding a book on The Gunners (not 'Arsene Wenger:The Airplane Years' I might add) and yes, starting the thing was a real challenge. I tried 'Once Upon A Time' but that seemed a little cliched. "*%^@ my old boots, we've lost again" didn't work either, and on reflection, "My old man said follow West Ham, I said '*%^@ off, bollocks, you old *%^@' was a bit too vehement. Anyway, I hope to have found a way forward, and will let you know when the work is available. I'll send you a review copy.

Post #298220  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:39 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
The mistake most sportsmen and their writers make is they start at the beginning , everything in chronological order .....it is so f***% bland .... " when I played for the Gillingham Under 7's nah nah nah nah nah then I made the Biggin Hill first team blah blah blah .... ZZZZ . No -one wants to know that sh**ght...
Hi Kiwi - interested to read that point. I am just concluding a book on The Gunners (not 'Arsene Wenger:The Airplane Years' I might add) and yes, starting the thing was a real challenge. I tried 'Once Upon A Time' but that seemed a little cliched. "*%^@ my old boots, we've lost again" didn't work either, and on reflection, "My old man said follow West Ham, I said '*%^@ off, bollocks, you old *%^@' was a bit too vehement. Anyway, I hope to have found a way forward, and will let you know when the work is available. I'll send you a review copy.

Might I suggest something like 'As the plane flew low over the stadium I reflected that this would never have happened to Chapman. Wenger looked shocked as the booing swelled in the stadium.'

Post #298221  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:47 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Might I suggest something like 'As the plane flew low over the stadium I reflected that this would never have happened to Chapman. Wenger looked shocked as the booing swelled in the stadium.'

How about something like 'Arsenal was always the club for me, a club with history and class, and not the kind of club where supporters would stoop to making snide comments on internet forums or criticise their manager.'

Post #298222  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:23 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

So, you are an anaesthetist by profession?

Post #298223  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:25 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

How about something like 'Arsenal was always the club for me, a club with history and class, and not the kind of club where supporters would stoop to making snide comments on internet forums or criticise their manager.'
Three clubs in one sentence? Bit stodgy?

Post #298224  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:29 am 

I have initiated an important change to the domains registrar by transferring it from the old US server to the Australian one here.
There should be no effect on anything but there might be a brief downtime when this changeover occurs.

If the forum won't load for you, then try refreshing it or just wait a little while.
You may need to restart your computer / phone for it to work also.

Again, there should be no impact on the forum at all, but just in case ....

Post #298225  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

You're correct of course. I'm working on a re-write as we speak.

Post #298226  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:41 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

You're correct of course. I'm working on a re-write as we speak.
Make sure you pass it by Kiwi. He'll put you right.

Post #298227  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:45 am 

warrior wrote:
I have initiated an important change to the domains registrar by transferring it from the old US server to the Australian one here. There should be no effect on anything but there might be a brief downtime when this changeover occurs...
What you earning these days? Hopefully they've offered you a new contract. That million a year must seem too little at times.

Post #298228  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:50 am 

Roastbeef wrote:
Warrior, what happened to all the pre-January 2008 posts (original forum - I believe)?

These links are back up now.

You can click " Steve Gleiber " at the upper right of the forum, or this link to get to the old pages.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19

Post #298229  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:41 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
What you earning these days? Hopefully they've offered you a new contract. That million a year must seem too little at times.

No it's all fine - I've been getting paid electronically in Bitcons or whatever they're called - I have thousands of them now.
I'll save them up for a few more years so I can get a mountain bike or something one day if I have enough.

As for the domain, I just wanted to be sure that it gets renewed properly to the new host.

We wouldn't want to keep anything Arsenal related around passed it's 'use by' date now, would we ?

Post #298230  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 pm 

warrior wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

No it's all fine - I've been getting paid electronically in Bitcons or whatever they're called - I have thousands of them now.
I'll save them up for a few more years so I can get a mountain bike or something one day if I have enough.

As for the domain, I just wanted to be sure that it gets renewed properly to the new host.

We wouldn't want to keep anything Arsenal related around passed it's 'use by' date now, would we ?

Mountain bike? You could buythe Rolls Royce of mountain bikes...............

We're off....

Post #298231  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm 

Well - off to a great start - Not. :20hospitals:

Post #298232  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:05 pm 

Monreal is again running into the middle when he should be tracking the right wing man. There was already someone in the middle. It all started with a poor clearance from Per. Must be lacking match practice.

Post #298233  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 pm 

7 mins in and we could easily be 3 down.

Post #298234  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:10 pm 

After last week v Utd you'd have thought our top manager would have taken steps to ensure we didn't have another terrible start. :20hospitals:

Post #298235  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:12 pm 

Did any one notice if any of our defenders got off the bus ?
They seem to be missing.

Post #298236  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:15 pm 

According to comms apart from the Huddersfield game we've only scored 3 goals in the other 6 games played!!!

Unbelievable. Play as if we were at home you twats.

Post #298237  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:18 pm 

Bellerin should have just moved forward with that, why pass into a crowded area??????

Post #298238  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:27 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...If the reason is someone's post is boring, unimaginative, asinine from a football point of view, so what? Was this forum set up for people we agreed with and liked their prose? If is some old beef about something football or non football such as politics, religion or what have you, do we move on or carry on a grudge that escalates into some of the posts that led to block certain folks. It could be you next. Think about that...
You are right AG. As a less frequent user of this forum these days it is noticeable to me how frequently your posts are met with some sort of negative comment, usually flippant but occasionally more personally vindictive. That it doesn't seem to bother you that much is very amusing. The sound of water running off a duck's back is a good one.

As the orchestra tuned up for the Plumstead Philarmonic's "An afternoon with Rimsky-Korsakoff" Old Man of Hoy settled into his seat with a gentle chuckle at his revenge on the football forum that had committed the cardinal error of not seeing the world with his own refined level of zen-like whimsy.

"Encouraging American Gooner," he mused to himself while warming his hands on the hot potato in his overcoat pocket. "That'll learn 'em."

Post #298239  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 pm 

Closer and closer. Even XHaka makes a good tackle.

Post #298240  Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 pm 

Southampton, predictably, are well organised and dangerous on the break. So why did we give them a start? Incredibly frustrating.

[ 390319 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7453, 7454, 7455, 7456, 7457, 7458, 7459 ... 9758  Next