Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, mcquilkie and 302 guests

Post #383241  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:45 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
That awful Stevie Wonder song must be near the top?

Still. Stevie wrote some cracking tunes.

Post #383242  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:46 pm 

Disregarding charts, best song of the 80s for me is Where is my mind? by the Pixies.

Post #383243  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 pm 

Two Tribes by FGTH number 4. They released numerous different 12" versions of this to help keep sales up. Never done before or since afaik..

Post #383244  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:49 pm 

Teasers... gone on a break before the top 3.

Post #383245  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Disregarding charts, best song of the 80s for me is Where is my mind? by the Pixies.

So many...

Post #383246  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:50 pm 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
That awful Stevie Wonder song must be near the top?

Definitely. Can't think of one from the 80s though.

Post #383247  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:53 pm 

John wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
A Londoner - born in Eltham.

Ok, you can have him. Probably explains why I never met him.

Couldn't resist.
:14laughter:

Attachments:
d0abc126b33c020cfb2cd53afa6bef28--s-makeup-the-boy.jpg
d0abc126b33c020cfb2cd53afa6bef28--s-makeup-the-boy.jpg [ 22.39 KB | Viewed 2697 times ]

Post #383248  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:

Definitely. Can't think of one from the 80s though.

And there it is at number 3. Awful, completely *%^@** awful.
Stevie Wonder is blind, right Inspector Hoy?

Post #383249  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:58 pm 

Must be excluding Xmas hits. Frankie number 2 with Relax. Who remembers this on Top of the Pops before the BBC realised it was about shagging.

Post #383250  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:02 pm 

Ah that's bollox, Band Aid number 1. Ok but then where is Last Xmas?

Post #383251  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:08 pm 

John wrote:

Looked it up, it was included on the Everything She Wants single according to Wikipedia.

Post #383252  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:19 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
John wrote:

Looked it up, it was included on the Everything She Wants single according to Wikipedia.

Ah, the old double A side. Fair play , that makes sense.

Post #383253  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:46 pm 

John wrote:
Number 5, Don't You Want Me by The Human League. 2 of the co founders of the human league left and formed Heaven 17 along with Glen Gregory. Their debut album Penthouse and Pavement is an absolute classic.

It was either on this forum or possibly from the Brit bar I used to go to in LA that it was said that they came from Sheffield, a very blue collar, tough city and how these bands took on a persona (androgynous look, etc, ) that was different.

Big fan of '80s music.

Post #383254  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm 

Boro about to sign Britt Asambalonga from Forest for £14m at the same time as we are about to agree a deal to sell Scszesny to Juventus for £10m.
What is our player sales team doing?

Post #383255  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The general point I raised with dec yesterday still applies though. Why does American ask all these questions if he has genuinely blocked many of the posters who could give him an answer, perhaps even most of the ones who are likely to?

I think he's only posting to the nice posters, like Hodd, Goonie and gooner 7. He really wants to avoid the terrible trolls who should take a long hard look at themselves like you, Bernard, Dec, Hazuki, Exiled, the fearsome Kiwi, Abu and of course yours truly.

He pretends to block me but I know he reads my posts.

Hodd is his favourite, he absolutely hearts him. I quite enjoy the brown-nosing posts to him.

Post #383256  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 pm 

Rich wrote:
Boro about to sign Britt Asambalonga from Forest for £14m at the same time as we are about to agree a deal to sell Scszesny to Juventus for £10m.

It is the market. If nobody else wants to offer more then we have little leverage.

Post #383257  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
The Sydney games were a joy to watch .... brilliant festive atmosphere , the whole crowd just happy to see our team on show ...no moaning gits like Claude , Robbie , and the knob with the headscarf and nose ring .

Arsene enters , the fans clamouring for his autograph , I thought to myself " I'm glad this old w***ker is still in charge

The fans would probably clamour for the signature of Arsenal's manager whoever it was.

Is, as you describe him, "the knob with the headscarf and nose ring" Bully? If so, I agree. I've been near him at a couple of away games and he's an absolute tit. Arsenal's two most famous non-celebrity fans (Piers Morgan is probably the most famous of the lot), Bully and Maria, are in my view both utter pains in the posterior.

re the manager ... yes too a certain extent , but if there had been a managerial change ; picture an Aussie kid boasting in the schoolyard " I went to the football on Saturday .... and I got Owen Coyle / Eddie Howe / Sam Allardyce's whoevers autograph ...... jaws drop ...WHO .... as opposed to Arsene Wengers .

Yes Bully .... that's bloke Bernard ... even Robbie the tubby plank is an annoying d*ck who hasn't got a clue how to interview someone . Instead of asking a simple "what did you think " and let the interviewee come up with some original moan ; his every question involves a full blown summary of the match ..... :icon_scratch: why bother asking .... you've answered the question yourself , you meathead .

Post #383258  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:04 pm 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
True Dec ..... but as I'm sure the Bermondsey Talent Scout would agree ...... accuracy not power was the key here .
s lethal and a thing of beauty .
Federer played a masterful game mixing things up , slices getting that big 6'6" body bending low .
Wasn't quite as one sided as Hoad v Cooper , Laver v Mulligan or Newcombe v Bungert but it was pretty plain sailing

... and so ends this in depth Guardian tennis review ...well done Roger well deserved .

Listen to Sue Barker over there........when did you become the forum's resident tennis expert?. :laughing7:

Although, I will say you clearly know more about tennis than you do football. :toothy9:

Modesty forbids me from saying I rate myself as pretty damn savvy in the tennis world .

When did I become an expert . :icon_scratch: ... Hmmm ... I'd say the day I outfoxed Harvey Smith [ a better player than me ] in the semi finals of the Tauranga Boys College senior tennis champs in 1961 .

I just drop shotted and lobbed that pr*ck to extinction .

Pleased with the Sue Barker [ and you can f**ck off Warrior ] jibe I thought she was quite hot
...... you could have given me the ultimate insult Virginal Wade ... I can't stand that woman . As a co commentator .. her nasally drone .

Without googling I'll have a shot at the opponents of the blokes that haven't dropped a set that Bernard mentioned

Don Budge v Elsworth Vines , Tony Trabert v Kurt Neilson , Chuck Mc Kinley got a feeling it was Emerson or could have been that proverbial bridesmade Stolle .

Borg who the f*** did he play 1976 ...... hmmm Tanner ..? Connors ?

At least I've a couple of clues on some things ..... you know f***all about anything :laughing7: but don't take it to heart I still like you .

Post #383259  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:23 pm 

John wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Every odd game .... so they play one game then have a sit down , a drink , a towel off , someone holds an umbrella over them , they call for somebody to get them another drink ..... then they play TWO whole games at one end without a break .
.... when in the "good old days" ... they changed ends collected two balls and served ....... no breaks , except at the end of a set ...no seats , no drinks cabinet , maybe two wooden racquets apiece , Newcombe making eyes at women linespersons , Hoad bantering with Seixas , Ayala at the other end .

I remember watching Wimbledon as a kid and I'd be salivating over the cans of coke they could take. A lot of players used to take a can and take a few swigs from it as they walked off. I used to wonder why they didn't take them all.

Indeed Johnny Boy ....... Plus magnanimously chucking a few balls and towels belonging to the Wimbledon tennis club into the crowd .

Balls having played only seven games on grass are still practically new and a re laundered towel keep a note of used it ; could fetch a decent sum .

With the post Brexit hard times approaching ; no source of revenue , how ever meagre should not be overlooked .

Post #383260  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:47 pm 

Daz wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
I think he's only posting to the nice posters, like Hodd, Goonie and gooner 7. He really wants to avoid the terrible trolls who should take a long hard look at themselves like you, Bernard, Dec, Hazuki, Exiled, the fearsome Kiwi, Abu and of course yours truly.

Hodd is his favourite, he absolutely hearts him. I quite enjoy the brown-nosing posts to him.

:laughing7: :laughing7: I know ... fawningly obsequious ..... a tongue longer than a chameleon ; although it must be quite pleasureable having that slopping around your nether regions

... but then again who in their right mind wouldn't ...?

ahhhhh yes ....rest assured there's a fair few little insights Bould , Mertsacker , Kos ..... Kroenke even don't know about that Arsene shares with Hodd .

Sort of a Martin Bormann type figure , quietly pulling strings in the background ... can't say anything right now but all will be revealed in a best seller somewhere down the track .

Post #383261  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

When did I become an expert . :icon_scratch: ... Hmmm ... I'd say the day I outfoxed Harvey Smith [ a better player than me ] in the semi finals of the Tauranga Boys College senior tennis champs in 1961 .

To be fair it's not easy to get to a drop shot on a horse...

Attachments:
harv.jpg
harv.jpg [ 26.52 KB | Viewed 2504 times ]

Post #383262  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Without googling I'll have a shot at the opponents of the blokes that haven't dropped a set that Bernard mentioned

Don Budge v Elsworth Vines , Tony Trabert v Kurt Neilson , Chuck Mc Kinley got a feeling it was Emerson or could have been that proverbial bridesmade Stolle .

Borg who the f*** did he play 1976 ...... hmmm Tanner ..? Connors ?

I just did google the finals. 1938 Budge beat Henry Austin; 1955 Trabert beat Kurt Nielson; 1963 McKinley beat Fred Stolle; 1976 Borg beat Ilie Nastase.

I'm quite impressed. Way out with the 1938 final but you got the 1955 final absolutely correct, and for the 1963 final you narrowed it down to two and one of them was the loser. Surprised you forgot Nastase in 1976 though.

Post #383263  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:31 am 

Rich wrote:

For 8mil we should just make him see out his contract with us

Post #383264  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:08 am 

Take the trash out, FFS!

Post #383265  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Daz wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7: I know ... fawningly obsequious ..... a tongue longer than a chameleon ; although it must be quite pleasureable having that slopping around your nether regions

I remember when Hodd worked at Brentford, they became American's second favourite club. So, albeit for different reasons, there's one definite crossover between American and Daz. :icon_mrgreen1:

Didn't Hodd say many years ago that he was on Tottenham's books as a young player? Apologies to him if he didn't, but I thought he did. Wonder if American missed that? Otherwise he'd presumably have a fondness for Tottenham as well.

Post #383266  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:01 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Modesty forbids me from saying I rate myself as pretty damn savvy in the tennis world .

Was he on a horse?

Post #383267  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Why would we do that?

Post #383268  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:06 am 

Exiled wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

To be fair it's not easy to get to a drop shot on a horse...

Indeed, but lobbing him is pretty impressive......

Post #383269  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:34 am 

Jack Wilshere's story just shows how brutal professional sport can be.

A few seasons ago he was england's brightest young talent, a player who excelled every time he pulled on an england jersey and one to build a team around. One you would have expected to eventually join the ranks of the 100 cap players. Now it's not even a certainty that he'll ever play for england again.

I saw him last season for Bournemouth and admittedly he was in a mediocre team but he seems to have lost a yard of pace. He was never the quickest but he always had that great first touch and a little shimmy that got him away from players. At Bournemouth he was too often caught in possession. Still capable of sublime moments but not able to influence a game for long periods.

I hope that in time he can recapture that little extra he once had but injuries appear to have taken their toll.

Post #383270  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:16 am 

What's the story with Wilshere? Still on loan? Coming back? About to be sold?

Post #383271  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:32 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
What's the story with Wilshere? Still on loan? Coming back? About to be sold?

Why would he still be on loan in mid-July?

Post #383272  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:12 am 

If PSG's interest in Sanchez is real then surely that is the best case scenario. We should accept any bids in the £50-£60m range and look to bring someone in that wants to be here. There could be a potential swap deal there as they have a few players that we have long had an interest in. I would hate for the club to lose all that cash and then see him move for nothing next year to either of the Mancs or even worse Chavski. Can't understand fans that say we must not sell to a rival in the Premiership when that would be a very real possibility next year anyway.

Post #383273  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 am 

Sabir wrote:
If PSG's interest in Sanchez is real then surely that is the best case scenario. We should accept any bids in the £50-£60m range and look to bring someone in that wants to be here. There could be a potential swap deal there as they have a few players that we have long had an interest in. I would hate for the club to lose all that cash and then see him move for nothing next year to either of the Mancs or even worse Chavski. Can't understand fans that say we must not sell to a rival in the Premiership when that would be a very real possibility next year anyway.

I completely agree with this Sabir, although I wouldn't bother looking for a swap deal because they must be far harder to get over the line. In a normal transfer there's three main parties to it. The selling club, the buying club, and the player. The two clubs have to agree a transfer fee and the buying club has to agree a deal including salaries, bonuses and so on with the player and his agent. A swap deal is surely much more complicated as the two clubs not only have to agree on a value for the other player, which if not exactly the same as in this case Sanchez will involve a fee being agreed to cover the difference. Also, in this example, the player moving from PSG will have to agree a wage plus add-ons with Arsenal as well as Sanchez doing the same with PSG. If such an agreement can't be reached that will presumably block the move of Sanchez to PSG. My own vote for what it's worth (precisely nothing) would be for selling him to PSG and not bother with a swap.

If that for whatever reason can't be done, I'd still take the money from City and give Wenger another £50 or £60 million to recruit other players rather than run the very real risk of seeing Sanchez go to City without getting a single penny as a transfer fee next summer. People talk about the principle of not selling to a domestic rival. Well, losing £50m to £60m and running the big risk of handing him on a plate to City (or Chelsea or United) for nothing next year makes it a very expensive matter of principle. That's a lot of money to give up even in the modern game. I'd rather see Wenger have the responsibility to use it to make up for the loss of Sanchez now.

Post #383274  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:04 am 

dec wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Why would we do that?

I think he is better than Martinez. Should Ospina go we look pretty slim in the position. Čech is starting to slow.

Post #383275  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:25 pm 

Sabir wrote:

Agreed. Any reasonable bid outside the country.

Post #383276  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:42 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Sabir wrote:

Agreed. Any reasonable bid outside the country.

If the reports that PSG have met Neymar's buy out clause are also true, they may not want Sanchez. So do you also agree with Sabir's last sentence if PSG's interest isn't real though?

Post #383277  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:25 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
ahhhhh yes ....rest assured there's a fair few little insights Bould , Mertsacker , Kos ..... Kroenke even don't know about that Arsene shares with Hodd .

Sort of a Martin Bormann type figure , quietly pulling strings in the background ... can't say anything right now but all will be revealed in a best seller somewhere down the track .

:14laughter:

Post #383278  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:31 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Didn't Hodd say many years ago that he was on Tottenham's books as a young player? Apologies to him if he didn't, but I thought he did. Wonder if American missed that? Otherwise he'd presumably have a fondness for Tottenham as well.

I was for a very short time yes....everyone has skeletons, so please don't hold it against me :icon_mrgreen:

Post #383279  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:38 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I was for a very short time yes....everyone has skeletons, so please don't hold it against me :icon_mrgreen:

Think it's completely understandable for young players to take on a chance if offered with a local rival to the club they support. When were you there, who was the manager (Bill Nicholson maybe :laughing7:), and what did you think of their youth setup at the time?

Post #383280  Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The general point I raised with dec yesterday still applies though. Why does American ask all these questions if he has genuinely blocked many of the posters who could give him an answer, perhaps even most of the ones who are likely to?

"the fearsome Kiwi' .... shucks Brom ... I think Bubblechris has more of an axe to grind with the Yank Plank .... I actually have him blocked so it's not until you your good self , Bernard , Dec and others respond to one of his posts that I actually see any of his input .

I've no problem with the bloke , he generates conversation ........ but his "us Philly guys are renowned for telling it how it is " and then doing exactly the opposite

...... hints at someone who is a couple of kangaroo short in the top paddock .

[ 481528 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9579, 9580, 9581, 9582, 9583, 9584, 9585 ... 12039  Next