Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: danny, dec, warrior and 77 guests

Post #292601  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:44 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
It seems like Alexis has been sworn to secrecy over his intentions. That usually happens when a player is being allowed to leave but the selling club wishes to get replacements in first before an announcement is made. Plus, any club we are negotiating with will drive the price up even more if they know we have an extra £50m in the kitty from the Alexis sale and are desperate to make signings.

This is most likely so when you think about it, the club would probably factor this in too, that if Sanchez is going we have basically just replaced him with an inferior player, so in order to improve the team we simply have to improve other areas, basically what I'm saying is it is nigh on impossible to replace him with a player as good so we have to replace him with 2 (or 3) players that are closer to his level than the existing one's at the club.

This begs the question who's place is under threat from our first choice line up from last season?, I am not especially keen on Mahrez for the reasons others have already said, plus isn't he a bit too similar to Özil?, unless of course he is Özil's replacement!. Assuming we stick to 3 at the back there are limited places for 'attacking' players, this is why I think Ox might go as Ramsey/Xhaka was first choice in CM and Ox doesn't want to play as a utility man.

Back to Mahrez - if we do sign him where does this leave Walcott? - he's got to go surely. Wenger has always preached about 'evolution' rather than 'revolution' but I can't help thinking this summer we need the latter, there are just too many issues that need resolving for a little bit of tinkering to be enough.

Out - Walcott £20M, Giroud £20M, Ox £25M
Debuchy £0, Jenkinson £0 , Elneny £5M , Ospina £5M

£75M

In - Lacazette £50M..

So we are already +£25M if we get rid of this lot, big ask but it needs doing, the time for tinkering is over!.

P.S I would keep Wilshere purely as he's homegrown and has a passion for the club, he would have to accept back up status though, Szczesny I would keep as well but this doesn't look likely which I find odd.

I think it's too soon to write off Elneny, who has some useful qualities and deserves at least another season. I think his value is a lot higher than £5 million as well. The rest I'd have no problem with - ship em out.

Post #292602  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:48 pm 

I also think, very sadly, that Wilshere should be surplus to requirements. Any decent fee offered we should take. I think it looks like he will never reach his potential. Being a through the ranks player and one who looked the real deal, I sincerely hope I'm wrong on that.

Post #292603  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:52 pm 

socrates wrote:
Lacazette should be a good signing because he's pacy with good movement and a very good finisher. I don't think he's at the elite level of strikers but given our current circumstances he's probably close to being as good as we could have realistically expected to get.

I'm a bit like Wilts-Gooner on this though, if he's in addition to Alexis then he's potentially a great signing, if he's instead of Alexis then I'm not sure where it leaves us. We might have actually gone slightly backwards.

I really like Mahrez and hope we sign him but I'm not sure how both him and Özil would work in the same team. Both very lightweight defensively.

Agree that Özil and Mahrez shouldn't be in the same 11 together. Too powder puff. Not sure I really see the logic in signing Mahrez tbh.

Post #292604  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:09 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
I really like Mahrez and hope we sign him but I'm not sure how both him and Özil would work in the same team. Both very lightweight defensively.

Agree that Özil and Mahrez shouldn't be in the same 11 together. Too powder puff. Not sure I really see the logic in signing Mahrez tbh.

That's what concerns me too. I've long argued that the best teams have balance. If Özil goes I can see the logic of signing Mahrez far more than I can if he stays. A midfield with both Özil and Mahrez seems a bit, to use socrate's word 'lightweight' or to use bromley's term 'powder puff', especially for the game in England. Two highly talented but very inconsistent players who when they turn up are brilliant, but regularly (some would argue more often that not) go missing. Is that what's needed for success in the Premier League? I have genuine doubts.

Post #292605  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:13 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

That's what concerns me too. I've long argued that the best teams have balance. If Özil goes I can see the logic of signing Mahrez far more than I can if he stays. A midfield with both Özil and Mahrez seems a bit, to use socrate's word 'lightweight' or to use bromley's term 'powder puff', especially for the game in England. Two highly talented but very inconsistent players who when they turn up are brilliant, but regularly (some would argue more often that not) go missing. Is that what's needed for success in the Premier League? I have genuine doubts.

Hi Bernard,

I like Mahrez.

Wenger likes out-to-in wingers, or rather wingers who play on the wrong side to their natural kicking foot so that they can cut inside. Mahrez is great at this.

He's also a bit of a magician with the ball and a great dribbler who can take players out of the game, which appeals to me. He won the PL player of the year trophy two seasons ago so he's top quality when he's on his game.

I could see him and Özil at home against lesser opposition but I'm not sure you could risk both in a big game. It'd be like playing with 9 men defensively.

Post #292606  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:32 pm 

socrates wrote:
Mahrez....... can take players out of the game, which appeals to me.

If that's what turns your key I'll see if this turkey can make the afternoon flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdfJvKvoC0

Post #292607  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:12 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

The Ox - I suspect other managers may get more out of him. I think he will listen to people who want to improve him and he wants to get better.

I've thought that ..... spend two weeks with Robert Pires or Denis Bergkamp .... but really the burning desire to improve should come from within .

Success comes too easily for some " Selected for England , fabulous wages " why spend three hours kicking a ball against a wall like Supermac did to perfect his skills ... better climb in your new Porsche and rev off home and play X Box or whatever .

I watched Jimmy Greenhoff playing for Stoke in 1973 twisting Arsenal's back four every which way and I don't think either Walcott or Oxo cube come close to his skill levels .

Post #292608  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:27 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Hi Aussie Gooners, I'm just about to finish my vacation week in beautiful Cairns. Lovely city, so much fun stuff to do. :6encouragement:

Glad you enjoyed it and hope you return to Oz to enjoy other areas. Not a bad location to spend winter.

Post #292609  Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:55 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Hi Aussie Gooners, I'm just about to finish my vacation week in beautiful Cairns. Lovely city, so much fun stuff to do. :6encouragement:

Glad you enjoyed it and hope you return to Oz to enjoy other areas. Not a bad location to spend winter.

Lots to see and do. We'll be back. Highlight was convincing my wife to do the skydive.

Post #292610  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:02 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Lots to see and do. We'll be back. Highlight was convincing my wife to do the skydive.

Glad you enjoyed the sun. If you'd skydived down here you'd probably have turned into a giant hailstone. :laughing7:

Post #292611  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:31 am 

Can't believe preseason already in 10 days!!

Post #292612  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:56 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,

I like Mahrez.

Wenger likes out-to-in wingers, or rather wingers who play on the wrong side to their natural kicking foot so that they can cut inside. Mahrez is great at this.

He's also a bit of a magician with the ball and a great dribbler who can take players out of the game, which appeals to me. He won the PL player of the year trophy two seasons ago so he's top quality when he's on his game.

I could see him and Özil at home against lesser opposition but I'm not sure you could risk both in a big game. It'd be like playing with 9 men defensively.

Morning socrates. I'm surprised you like Mahrez when you never took to Özil. To me they're very similar types of player and largely bring both the same benefits and negatives to their teams. Very talented when going forward but adding next to nothing to the defensive side of the game. I'd say in that respect Mahrez might even be a bit worse than Özil. Both can look disinterested and disappear from games, and after seeing so much of them I'd also rate Mahrez as a little worse in that way too. It adds up to them both being inconsistent. Mahrez will of course be cheaper to buy than Özil, but I'd be surprised if that was a significant factor in making you like Mahrez while never appearing to take to Özil.

Post #292613  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
I'm surprised you like Mahrez when you never took to Özil.

Give it time.

Post #292614  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Bernard,

I like Mahrez.

Morning socrates. I'm surprised you like Mahrez when you never took to Özil. To me they're very similar types of player and largely bring both the same benefits and negatives to their teams. Very talented when going forward but adding next to nothing to the defensive side of the game. I'd say in that respect Mahrez might even be a bit worse than Özil. Both can look disinterested and disappear from games, and after seeing so much of them I'd also rate Mahrez as a little worse in that way too. It adds up to them both being inconsistent. Mahrez will of course be cheaper to buy than Özil, but I'd be surprised if that was a significant factor in making you like Mahrez while never appearing to take to Özil.

Hi Bernard,

Mahrez is an old fashioned dribber with a magical left foot who likes to take on his man with little drops of the shoulder, step-overs, changes of pace etc. He likes a shot at goal coming inside from the right wing onto his left foot.

Sometimes I think we get so bogged down with our passing game, especially when teams drop deep and defend with two banks of four, that we need someone who can go past his man and take him out the game, opening up space for others.

I think Mahrez actually suffered a bit at Leicester because they rarely dominated possession, home or away, infact they often had around 30% of the possession and played largely a counter-attacking game. It was good when Mahrez got the ball but that wasn't always that often in matches so his influence was limited. He's have much more of the ball in an Arsenal side.

Özil is a precision passer with fantastic vision and weight of pass but not really a dribbler.

So basically, I see them both as having magical left foots but being quite different in terms of their playing styles. Both are very lightweight defensively though.

Post #292615  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:39 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,

Mahrez is an old fashioned dribber with a magical left foot who likes to take on his man with little drops of the shoulder, step-overs, changes of pace etc. He likes a shot at goal coming inside from the right wing onto his left foot.

Sometimes I think we get so bogged down with our passing game, especially when teams drop deep and defend with two banks of four, that we need someone who can go past his man and take him out the game, opening up space for others.

I think Mahrez actually suffered a bit at Leicester because they rarely dominated possession, home or away, infact they often had around 30% of the possession and played largely a counter-attacking game. It was good when Mahrez got the ball but that wasn't always that often in matches so his influence was limited. He's have much more of the ball in an Arsenal side.

Özil is a precision passer with fantastic vision and weight of pass but not really a dribbler.

So basically, I see them both as having magical left foots but being quite different in terms of their playing styles. Both are very lightweight defensively though.

Hi Soc

I largely agree with that. Özil is a playmaker. Mahrez is a winger with real ability to beat a player and happily, he has a good shot on him too. He is one of the few players in the league who can kill a defender one on one without using blinding pace.
Unlike the rest of the forum, or so it seems, I am not too worried about the defensive qualities of either, although Özil's half-arsed tackles are annoying. We never cared too much about Pires' defending. A solid central midfield and well organised defence should be more than sufficient to take care of the defensive side of the game and let the attacking players do the damage at the other end.

Post #292616  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:59 am 

dec wrote:
Unlike the rest of the forum, or so it seems, I am not too worried about the defensive qualities of either, although Özil's half-arsed tackles are annoying. We never cared too much about Pires' defending.

Exactly. Plus, the notion that Sanchez contributes anything defensively is a complete myth. If anything he's a defensive liability because of his habit of holding on to the ball for too long in our own half. Hazard, De Bruyne, Coutinho, Eriksen, they're all pretty much useless defensively. It's not what they're there for.

Post #292617  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:10 am 

Could either of them take over Carzorla's role?

Now that could be magic?

Post #292618  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:05 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hi Bernard,

Afternoon socrates. Mahrez is certainly much more of a dribbler than Özil. I certainly wouldn't call him a Peter Marinello style dribbler though, if you're talking of him being an "old fashioned" dribbler.

Post #292619  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:46 pm 

Chilean newspaper La Tercera are claiming Sanchez will 'honor his contract'. Assuming that would mean him leaving for free next year. Not sure how reliable La Tercera are, but I would be ok with that outcome if he's set on leaving.

Post #292620  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:04 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Chilean newspaper La Tercera are claiming Sanchez will 'honor his contract'. Assuming that would mean him leaving for free next year. Not sure how reliable La Tercera are, but I would be ok with that outcome if he's set on leaving.

Bayern have said that he is too expensive for them. If Arsenal are insisting that they won't sell to another PL club, there may be nowhere else for him to go. If true, it is quite a change from the RVP days.

Post #292621  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:38 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

From Arsenal's point of view I don't think that's a good option. If he goes into the last year, winding down his contract, I think we'd have an unsettled and distracted player on our hands. That could destabilise the whole squad. I would prefer ideally he signs a new deal, but if he's not willing to do that we should sell. Reluctantly.

Post #292622  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40496970

Haven't seen this posted. It looks like we got our man.

Post #292623  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:14 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the sun. If you'd skydived down here you'd probably have turned into a giant hailstone. :laughing7:

:14laughter:

Post #292624  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:51 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

From Arsenal's point of view I don't think that's a good option. If he goes into the last year, winding down his contract, I think we'd have an unsettled and distracted player on our hands. That could destabilise the whole squad. I would prefer ideally he signs a new deal, but if he's not willing to do that we should sell. Reluctantly.

I tend to agree with bromley. £50m is, even in today's world of football, a lot to give up for a single season of having a possibly unsettled player (even if he is great) on our books. Look, if he stays and we win the league, then Sanchez leaves on a Bosman, I'll be more than comfortable with that. In fact I'll be delighted as anyone who could afford it would presumably spend £50m on a player for one year who would guarantee them the title in that season.

But even with Sanchez, if we sign Lacazette and Mahrez as well as Kolasinac, will that be enough to make up the difference with the other big clubs no doubt strengthening too? If Sanchez does stay, we'll have to wait and see. But I think anything less than winning the league will make the decision to give up the £50m a mistake, especially as we could have bought other players with it on the basis of talent Wenger has identified, which I still believe is the part of the job that he's best at.

Post #292625  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:07 pm 

SSNews reporting completion of medical for Alex Lacazette.

Looks like we have our man..........................

Post #292626  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:57 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Bad news. He's got piles and Arsenal are walking away from the deal. Arsene Wenger quoted: ' Well, er, Lacazette has a touch of the Farmer Giles, so we will not be signing him. I feel very sorry for him as he had set his jam tart on joining us, but it is not to be. We could not have him playing a little with the handbrake on.' Lacazette's agent, Emma Royd, was unavailable for comment,

Post #292627  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:52 pm 

I agree with Haz that Sanchez's defensive work is overrated. Disagree that we should keep him if he has decided that he wants to play elsewhere. Having a player like that would have a negative influence on team morale and £50m is still a big amount to chuck away, especially when he could just end up at City next season anyway - and for free.

Will be interesting to see if we revert to two cb's next season. With all the attacking talent we're seemingly after, I can't see us sticking with three cb's and leaving a big money signing on the bench.

Post #292628  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:02 pm 

I think we should stick with 3 cb's. I 've always said we should try it and am really pleased with how solid we look since we changed to it.

Problem now is are our two backs competent with the new set up. Monreal yes suits his play but Bellerin I think needs to work at it. Cazorla needs replacing then it's up to the forwards to play their parts, four of them assuming we have two midfielders. Two playing up front two floating. 5212 defending 3412 attacking.

Post #292629  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:14 pm 

I know what you mean. We've been shaky defensively for a long time so it was great to see some stability at the back when we tweaked the defence. It also released Xhaka and he played some lovely football in the last two months. However I just don't think Wenger will stick with it longterm. We just have too many attacking players and sounds like we still want more.

Post #292630  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:25 pm 

Don't think it would be that big a problem if Sanchez was to stay on for the final year of his contract. He seems like someone who mostly wants to play football all the time, don't think it's his style to not give it all he's got. Plus, he'll be 29 when the season ends. If he has a poor season it will probably have a big impact on what offers he'll recieve.

The rest of the players knows what it's about. It's professional football, everyone is out there to maximise their careers. As long as we keep strengthening I genuinely don't think it will bother them too much if Sanchez was to leave. Not selling him to City would be a statement that we're their rivals and won't be doing them favours. You can never control what players do when their contracts are up anyway.

Post #292631  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:19 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Don't think it would be that big a problem if Sanchez was to stay on for the final year of his contract. He seems like someone who mostly wants to play football all the time, don't think it's his style to not give it all he's got. Plus, he'll be 29 when the season ends. If he has a poor season it will probably have a big impact on what offers he'll recieve.

The rest of the players knows what it's about. It's professional football, everyone is out there to maximise their careers. As long as we keep strengthening I genuinely don't think it will bother them too much if Sanchez was to leave. Not selling him to City would be a statement that we're their rivals and won't be doing them favours. You can never control what players do when their contracts are up anyway.

It just seems to me that taking £50m now from City, or him going there for nothing in a year, seems a big price to pay for making a statement to City. I'm struggling to think of anything other than winning the league that would end up making it worthwhile.

Post #292632  Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

It just seems to me that taking £50m now from City, or him going there for nothing in a year, seems a big price to pay for making a statement to City. I'm struggling to think of anything other than winning the league that would end up making it worthwhile.

Only works (for the fans) if you assume we will spend the said £50M.. our track record would say not so I say keep him, more likely is we have just spent it on Lacazette.

Post #292633  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:14 am 

This guy nails the typical GOP fundamental voter because he used to be one of them. 45 (refuse to use the 'P' word Trump) has the launch codes. Its sobering. Its scares the daylights out of me...and it should everyone else. The country has visibly changed. Way more acts of rage on a one to one human level. More fatal road rage like a man who chased down and killed an 18 year old recent female HS graduate. A girl!! I can't recall if it was Churchill who said something to the effect Americans will do the right thing eventually...after exhausting all the alternatives.
I'm not so sure anymore. The amount of people who have the mindset in the article are too large. Not the majority but not far from half.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/fundame ... er-change/

Post #292634  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:43 am 

If and its looking like a big IF, we keep Sanchez, I doubt we'll see him as a striker any longer. The good thing about Lacazette is he can basically duplicate Giroud's skillset with technical ability and pace. Too many times we break on the counter with Giroud up front and he is too slow for the counter. What happens with Welbeck? He came to us for more playing time and may find himself 3rd in rotation. Will he want to stay under that scenario?

Post #292635  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:13 am 

I'll like to see Alexis staying on for another year. His work rate is always a plus point for me. As a fan who is more keen to see successes on the field, I am not bothered with Arsenal's financial losses if he leaves on a free the following year. Ironically, that had always been the bug bear for most of us, in that, Arsene and Arsenal had always let financial considerations precede winning trophies.

With the additions (hopefully good ones), we might win it next season. Or challenge very strongly till the end. This might change Alexis' mind about leaving after a good season. Well, it is all hopeful thoughts from my end.

Post #292636  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:17 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Bad news. He's got piles and Arsenal are walking away from the deal. Arsene Wenger quoted: ' Well, er, Lacazette has a touch of the Farmer Giles, so we will not be signing him. I feel very sorry for him as he had set his jam tart on joining us, but it is not to be. We could not have him playing a little with the handbrake on.' Lacazette's agent, Emma Royd, was unavailable for comment,

Actually Hoy I think our first move would be to offer 20 mil less before we pulled out.

Post #292637  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:35 am 

Given the choice, would it be better to sell Sanchez and get top or near top dollar (or pound) now or have him for one more season along with our new buys so that we make sure we are top 4 and god forbid challenge the title?
If its the latter. Is he professional enough not to mope around for the season or does his will to win and compete override his not being sold?

Post #292638  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:42 am 

The overrated ginger prince Paul Scholes? Chelsea fans think so. I didn't think he was as good as advertised. I saw very fine player but frankly, not as good as most said he was. It was either believe you lot or my lying eyes. Still, one has to respect even the great (greatest) Vieira saying Scholes was the best midfielder he played against. I saw a player who had an uncanny ability to arrive outside or inside box at the right time and good vision. I never bought the 'he's a bad tackler'adage one bit. He was a nasty player in the tackle and referees coddled him. How can a so called bad tackler How in god's green earth does a known 'bad tackler' admittedly by his own manager get only 4 red cards in his career? Along with 97 yellow cards and such a low number becoming red? His national team career exposed him. For a player who was always mentioned no worse than top 3 or 4 ever in the EPL do so awfully bad in Europe both club and country?

http://www.givemesport.com/1092549-chel ... -III-1sted

Post #292639  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:49 am 

Don't think it will pan out this way...but one can dream.

Attachments:

Post #292640  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:53 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The overrated ginger prince Paul Scholes? Chelsea fans think so. I didn't think he was as good as advertised. I saw very fine player but frankly, not as good as most said he was. It was either believe you lot or my lying eyes. Still, one has to respect even the great (greatest) Vieira saying Scholes was the best midfielder he played against. I saw a player who had an uncanny ability to arrive outside or inside box at the right time and good vision. I never bought the 'he's a bad tackler'adage one bit. He was a nasty player in the tackle and referees coddled him. How can a so called bad tackler How in god's green earth does a known 'bad tackler' admittedly by his own manager get only 4 red cards in his career? Along with 97 yellow cards and such a low number becoming red? His national team career exposed him. For a player who was always mentioned no worse than top 3 or 4 ever in the EPL do so awfully bad in Europe both club and country?

http://www.givemesport.com/1092549-chel ... -III-1sted

He was a fantastic player, AG.

I'd say Scholes was in the top four central midfielders I've seen in the PL era...........Keane, Vieira, Scholes and Gerrard would be my top four (in no particular order).

[ 390282 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7313, 7314, 7315, 7316, 7317, 7318, 7319 ... 9758  Next