Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Decaf, Gunfire, Lincoln gooner and 57 guests

Post #320481  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:21 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
It's obscene .. and until someone makes a stand it will carry on escalating .... you open this Pandora's box ; next pay talks Ramsay wants 180 , Iwobi 120 , Bellerin 200

Who gives a monkeys the whole greedy bunch of tossers end up playing in Spain and Italy .... don't get me wrong I loved the fact we've been blessed with Bergkamp , Pires , Henry , Vieira etc but I also was quite happy when we only had Ball , Kennedy , Radford , George , McLintock and Armstrong .

I've little doubt when he joined Ball was one of the best paid players in English football, maybe even the highest. The upper scale for players' wages has moved upwards since then, and recently at an even faster pace. It's what was going to happen when clubs' income increased so dramatically with the new TV deal and so on. Personally I'd rather see Arsenal use its income to challenge for trophies, and if that means spending huge sums on the best players' wages in order to both attract them here in the first place and then subsequently keep them, so be it.

If you'll be happy for Arsenal to lose its best players through not keeping up with modern pay scales for top players, I'll remind you of that when you next moan about Jenkinson. Because as a lifelong fan, if anyone in the squad will go with comparatively low wages for the honour of being an Arsenal player, it's probably going to be him. How does a team of Jenkinsons tickle your fancy?

I'll be extremely happy if we play the attractive football we play not the tippy tippy. Not so concerned with trophies which are a bonus. Would love to be known as the Harlem Globetroters of football.

Post #320482  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:47 am 

Bernard wrote:
I've little doubt when he joined Ball was one of the best paid players in English football, maybe even the highest.
Because as a lifelong fan, if anyone in the squad will go with comparatively low wages for the honour of being an Arsenal player, it's probably going to be him. How does a team of Jenkinsons tickle your fancy?

Hmmm regarding Ball the average working wage back then was about 30 quid a week and Alan would maybe have got 200 pounds ... seven times as much and he was one of the best .

Average yearly wage in England today for most nurses , welders , mechanics , office staff seems around 25 grand per year

Walcott gets SIX TIMES THAT IN A WEEK ......That's my point .
No matter important the player I don't think the club should be held to ransom ..sets a dangerous precedent .

Mrs Kiwi said to me when Charlie George left " I suppose you'll be supporting Derby now " . Get real woman

I'm for the club ....... not Arsene , Stan , Alexis , Mesut , Thierry , Dennis

If we had "a team of Jenkinsons "... sobeit .... there are plenty of little folk around quite happily supporting Leyton Orient , Maidstone , Milton Keyes , Swindon and I bet they have more than their fair share of Jenkinsons.

I only moan about lack of effort / style of play ...... not results .

Post #320483  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:57 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: ahhh the warped mind of your Joe Average Queenslander ..... sun baked brain cells . Get out in the shed and set the points in the Jag ... that's if you can do it without taking out the dashboard and the heater .

HSV GTS 6.2l

Youngest son has got my old HQ .... making a fair job of painting and panelbeating .

Looks cool but when he eventually finishes it pulls up at the lights and someone says a la American Graffiti
..."what you got in there boy " and you reply 202 ...doesn't really cut it .

Keep thinking I should buy him a 350 Chev crate motor .

Post #320484  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:53 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I only moan about lack of effort / style of play ...... not results .

Well I've never noticed a lack of effort from Jenkinson. Quality maybe, but effort - a big firm no as I think he's beyond criticism in that respect.

Post #320485  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:37 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Their asking for 300 grand each ? I mean I know their good at football but bloody hell

I'm actually now at the point where I no longer give a toss about football. I've been wavering for a while but have now reached the point of no return.

The wages are already astronomical and players are just holding clubs to ransom and taking the proverbial piss.

I feel sorry for the Arsenal heirarchy in having to navigate the current landscape. You know that the moment you give Özil or Alexis 300k then those in the next tier of players will be asking for 200k. Where does it end.

It's just a load of bollocks really.

Totally agree. Makes me laugh when I read that we should "pay them
What they want" as it "shows ambition". No it just shows the game is shafted and pretty uncouth.

I now go to football for a laugh, no more. I didn't even know we were playing stoke until Thursday, such is my interest now. Having said that, I'm enjoying it much more now I feel sightly removed from it all.

Football is great again for me now due to this.

Post #320486  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:38 am 

thofman wrote:
It's been too long, how about an all Wenger selection:

First team:
Mart Poo-m
Andrex Santos
Calum Chamberpot
Soil Campbell
Bogroll Sagna
Giovanni Von Brownarse
Junichi Enemato
Santi Khaziorla
Kaba Diarrhea
Nwankwo Canu
Nicolas Analka

Squad members:
John Lookic, Rob Holdingit, Leek Dixon, Ashley Hole, Fartin Keown, Nacho Moonreal, Mathieu Bedouchey, Pisscal Cygan, Igor Stepinit, Looren, Freddie Dungberg, John Fartson, Fabian Cabalooroll, Ainsley Maitland-Piles, Franny Jeffarse, Lookas Po-dolski, Yaya Sanogo

team plays at the Emorrhoids Stadium
Kaba Diarrhea, Fartin Keown and Fanny Jeffarse get my vote. Presumably Krappa as sponsors?

Post #320487  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:42 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Okay so when you mentioned 'grinding with the kid'..........
Is that a variation on that other New Zealand pastime, sheep-shagging?

Post #320488  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:57 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Their asking for 300 grand each ? I mean I know their good at football but bloody hell

I'm actually now at the point where I no longer give a toss about football. I've been wavering for a while but have now reached the point of no return.

The wages are already astronomical and players are just holding clubs to ransom and taking the proverbial piss.

I feel sorry for the Arsenal heirarchy in having to navigate the current landscape. You know that the moment you give Özil or Alexis 300k then those in the next tier of players will be asking for 200k. Where does it end.

It's just a load of bollocks really.
I agree pretty much with that. Whatever we offer in salaries, fact is there are several clubs who will always go further, so we may as well set our policy and stick with it. It is not as if we are paying peanuts - how much money does a footballer need to live? Thankfully we are not Chelsea, City, United etc. and I don't want us to be. As good as they are, Özil and Sanchez haven't won us a big trophy yet, so if they want to go, farewell with a smile, and find some fresh guys who are happy to play for us. One thing for sure, Arsenal will still exist long after Özil and Sanchez have gone.

Post #320489  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:12 am 

Darren wrote:
I now go to football for a laugh, no more. I didn't even know we were playing stoke until Thursday, such is my interest now. Having said that, I'm enjoying it much more now I feel sightly removed from it all. Football is great again for me now due to this.
Yes, I get that with my Dartford guys. How rarely is the top level of football uplifting these days? We sit second in the table and top of our ECL group but all the talk is about how it should be so much better. In an age of austerity hugely overpaid men and their hangers-on wanting more. As Mick and the boys use to say, no satisfaction. By way of contrast I went to see Richard Ashcroft last night and was blown away by his inspirational show - thousands of people leaving with a smile on their faces. Music is power, top level football for the powerful. I just hope our club can at least help keep a sense of proportion while others spoil it.

Post #320490  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:41 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
HSV GTS 6.2l

Youngest son has got my old HQ .... making a fair job of painting and panelbeating .

Looks cool but when he eventually finishes it pulls up at the lights and someone says a la American Graffiti
..."what you got in there boy " and you reply 202 ...doesn't really cut it .

Keep thinking I should buy him a 350 Chev crate motor .

327 is also a nice number. When I was younger I had the HQ SS with a 253 V8 and I dropped a 308 into it. Had a great rumble to it. The power in the HSV - it is 2008 build 317 motor- is amazing and mind blowing. Just to show you never really change I was at the lights the other day and someone snuck up my inside and I thought 6 cyc maybe with a little work. He looks at me waiting the lights to turn green and probably thinks sad old b******.

He guns it on green and I just couldn't help myself and really gave it some gas. My wife goes 'what are you doing' as she gets thrown back in he seat and the only reply I could come up with is 'you think I am going to get beaten by some *%^@ box like that'. Left him trailing in the distance. Up to the next lights old mate just decides to change into my lane behind me. Would love to know what he said to his mates.

I will mature one day.

Post #320491  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:46 am 

Media saying that Ramsey is going to play today with Coqulin, and Özil hope their wrong, got to be Xhaka.

Post #320492  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:22 pm 

Draytonkid wrote:
Media saying that Ramsey is going to play today with Coqulin, and Özil hope their wrong, got to be Xhaka.

Surely he has to play Pedro as opposed to Walcott or Ox?

Post #320493  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:50 pm 

Draytonkid wrote:

Xhaka has been playing very well but shouldn't we be able to beat Stoke with pretty much whomever, including Ramsey and Coq?

Post #320494  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:11 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
thofman wrote:
It's been too long, how about an all Wenger selection:

First team:
Mart Poo-m
Andrex Santos
Calum Chamberpot
Soil Campbell
Bogroll Sagna
Giovanni Von Brownarse
Junichi Enemato
Santi Khaziorla
Kaba Diarrhea
Nwankwo Canu
Nicolas Analka

Squad members:
John Lookic, Rob Holdingit, Leek Dixon, Ashley Hole, Fartin Keown, Nacho Moonreal, Mathieu Bedouchey, Pisscal Cygan, Igor Stepinit, Looren, Freddie Dungberg, John Fartson, Fabian Cabalooroll, Ainsley Maitland-Piles, Franny Jeffarse, Lookas Po-dolski, Yaya Sanogo

team plays at the Emorrhoids Stadium
Kaba Diarrhea, Fartin Keown and Fanny Jeffarse get my vote. Presumably Krappa as sponsors?

No place for Alan Ballcock?

Post #320495  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:53 pm 

and to think I was thinking that Everton was going to be our next hardest game.

They're losing 3-1 to Watford, 1-0 down 3-1 up Watford..............

Post #320496  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:55 pm 

I'm also thinking 3-0 to us. I hate thinking we're going to win as we always seem not to. Praying I'm wrong again.

Post #320497  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:15 pm 

Arsenal XI vs Stoke City: Čech; Gabriel, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal; Coquelin, Xhaka; Özil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott; Sanchez

Post #320498  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:17 pm 

I'm quite happy with Arsenal going slightly under the radar in the premiership at the moment. Chelsea are making headlines with their 8 straight wins and the 3-4-3 formation. City, pep and their poor defence are making headlines, Jose is moaning so much and making headlines every week. Also the all out attack of Klopp is taking attention away from us.

Post #320499  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:17 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Xhaka has been playing very well but shouldn't we be able to beat Stoke with pretty much whomever, including Ramsey and Coq?

Don't jinx it !

Post #320500  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:19 pm 

Draxler looks like he's definitely on the move in January. His price won't be sky high unless there is a bidding war and a number of teams involved. We certainly have room for him in our squad with Sanchez playing predominantly up front now. If we go serious for him I can see other richer clubs coming in just to stop us getting him

Post #320501  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:33 pm 

Warrior, probably too late, I probably already jinxed it.

As for Draxler, physically I like him a lot. If he comes I'm not sure if Welbeck will stick around. I'd like him to. Having a rotation of Draxler, Giroud, Sanchez/Perez/Walcott would be nice. We are long overdue for a quality striker and although Draxler is a winger, he could be massive IF he makes the transition like Henry did (not expecting him to be Henry obviously).

In the CL, I'd like to avoid Sevilla, they are having one of their better seasons in la Liga, tucked just behind the usual suspects of Barca and RM. They are hot right now. Either of the Portuguese sides would do nicely.

Post #320502  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:50 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
As for Draxler, physically I like him a lot.

If we signed him you could stick a picture of him on the ceiling above your bed.

Post #320503  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:26 pm 

Still no goals. :20hospitals:

AG !

Post #320504  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:26 pm 

Argh another sodding injury. Mustafi off with a hamstring - going to miss him until the new year.
Stoke wasting time over every restart already.

Lee Mason is the ref today so don't expect anything resembling competence from him

Post #320505  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:26 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

No place for Alan Ballcock?

Think he predated the Wenger era. But recent transfer activity has seen the addition of Daniel Ospendapenny and Silvain Wilturd. Huh... my coat? I'll take it now, thanks.

Post #320506  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:28 pm 

Careless to give it away like that

Post #320507  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:28 pm 

Bloody lee Mason. Terrible again. Penalty for stoke, it's just a coming together between Xhaka and Allen. Pathetic

Why are we so easy to give penalty decisions against?

Post #320508  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:29 pm 

Lee Mason strikes again. Xhaka's arms up, but he's won the ball cleanly.

Post #320509  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:33 pm 

Lee Mason 1 Arsenal 0

Post #320510  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:34 pm 

Mason won't get a grip on the time wasting either, it is over 30 seconds on every goal kick

Post #320511  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:40 pm 

lomekian wrote:

Doesn't really matter if you win the ball cleanly with your feet if you deck the opponent with your elbow at the same time. To me that's a penalty and Xhaka is lucky to stay on the pitch, because that looked deliberate.

Post #320512  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:42 pm 

Theo!!!

Lovely goal

Post #320513  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:42 pm 

Theo !!!!!!!

What Perez can do, I can too :icon_mrgreen:

Post #320514  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:43 pm 

Bellerin and Theo back together. And a goal from the combination. Brilliant ball by Alexis. Theo's 100th club goal in his 250th game

Post #320515  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:43 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Doesn't really matter if you win the ball cleanly with your feet if you deck the opponent with your elbow at the same time. To me that's a penalty and Xhaka is lucky to stay on the pitch, because that looked deliberate.

It didn't look like a deliberate elbow to the face for me it looked like one of those where the ball goes past you and you turn and spread yourself wide to stop the guy getting past you, you know the contact is coming from the guy behind so you make sure he can't.

Post #320516  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:44 pm 

Walcott! We've looked dangerous since the penalty. So important to get that goal before half time.

Post #320517  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

It didn't look like a deliberate elbow to the face for me it looked like one of those where the ball goes past you and you turn and spread yourself wide to stop the guy getting past you, you know the contact is coming from the guy behind so you make sure he can't.

If you know the contact is coming, don't spread your arms high and wide like Wenger on the sideline. Penalty for me, I'm afraid. Other end and the shrieks for a penalty here would be vehement and justified.

Post #320518  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:59 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Really? Players put their arms up to form a barrier to protect the ball all the time...there was no significant movement towards the opponent, and the impetus of contact came from Joe Allen (not remotely saying its a dive I hasten to add). At the point of contact Xhaka has clean control of the ball, his body between the opponent and the ball, was not looking at his opponent, and there is no swing of the arm.

Perhaps by some version of the law it is penalty, due to carelessness endangering an opponent, but I've never seen one given in those circumstances in 30+ years. If you think its a red card, you're mad.

Post #320519  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Just saw it again and it doesn't look like he went anywhere near his face.............................

Post #320520  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:03 pm 

Arsenal has to come out fighting for the win. Please don't go slow

[ 428901 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8010, 8011, 8012, 8013, 8014, 8015, 8016 ... 10723  Next