Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 285 guests

Post #452521  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:31 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
I can't work out if he is really that stupid or doing a Mee.

Definitely the former. Imagine getting yourself into such a muddle that you end up wanting Spurs to win.

I wonder if he has an orange face?

Post #452522  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:37 pm 

More likely brown seeing as where it has been...............

Post #452523  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:58 pm 

Zed wrote:
This is for Spurs Saturday.

:53big-emoticons:

Post #452524  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:42 pm 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I think you're pretty safe on that score

:icon_mrgreen: How's the leg Pete - put any maggots on to clean the wound?

:laughing7: :laughing7: might not be too far off the money there Johnny Boy http://www.livescience.com/203-maggots- ... icine.html .
...but really good thanks for asking ... took the moon boot off and have tentatively walking on it with a degree of caution . No pain at all . Will put the moon boot back on and they can take it off next Monday :icon_mrgreen: .

How's things with you ... also Tauranga Girl . Did you say you'd retired ..?

Post #452525  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:55 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38661302

My first thought is what could this turkey possibly hope to achieve / prevent .

Sit high in the stands with some 10 x 50 scanning the incoming crowds looking for dudes with wiring and dynamite , photographing any suspicious traffic , sifting through the Red Cafe looking for nutters .

As soon as the security person meets Mourinho he will realise that he has identified a certifiable nutjob who is obsessed with a manager of a London club. He will have to keep his eyes on Mourinho the whole time in case he goes postal. Job done.

True .... perusing the Red Cafe should give him another five hundred " likely to cause mayhem" candidates .

:laughing7: and in the quest to fill the shed up with junk ; I've just this second paid $47 for a pair of aluminium heads for a '36 Ford V8.

Off out into the Boondocks this afternoon to pick up the 1934 Ford V8 engine .

Need some minus .020" big end bearings for the same ..... got any stashed on that back shelf in your garage ?

Post #452526  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:03 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich, interesting take on formations. Could it be possible however, that some clubs these days can buy top quality at very position that the formation to a large extent doesn't matter? If Barcelona changed formation, would it matter? They'd still steamroll over most clubs. The formation may become important when they meet another top side.

Formation may become more important the less talent you have. Not that it isn't but a 4-4-2 or 3-4-3, 4-2-1-2-1 would all work just as easily against Hull?

Maybe its more complicated than that.

I suppose it has been highlighted this year considering the drastic change in fortune Chelsea have changing formation. Ivanovic out and Moses and alonso in were the few changes in personnel.
I'd agree against the dross you could put out a far better team in any formation and they'd likely win, but I'm just interested in the first team to really work it out. Chelsea lost to Spurs but Spurs just matched them up in formation and had the better players on the day - it wasn't a formation led tactical masterclass. I want to see a 4-2-3-1 beat the 3-4-3.....the stage is yours mr Wenger

Post #452527  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:06 pm 

dec wrote:
john1 wrote:

Think you're spot on there Bernard.

I don't think it'll last for long either - hopefully.

There was one season in the late 90s/early 00s when nearly every team went with three CBs. The exceptions were Arsenal and Utd and they remained at the top. These things come and go, although the three man central midfield has almost completely replaced the midfield two. A pity in my view.

You're right that the days of the two Man midfield seem numbered, nowadays central mids seem to be labelled as a holding, box to box or attacking central mid....I remember vieira being all 3.

Post #452528  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:42 pm 

For Chelsea, tactics for sure are better but one can't dismiss the mental/psychological aspect of their squad. They have belief. They started out slowly but they are playing with much more confidence. Tottenham as well since last season for that matter.

For Chelsea how much of it is Conte's formation and how much is their belief? I think formation and tactics are vitally important. I think its more important against direct rivals.

One thing for sure, we've been sorted out. People may bring up the invincibles but they were played like jazz musicians. Meaning they improvised, wingers would end up on the other wingers side of the pitch, Henry would play provider as much as he was scorer.

Post #452529  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:55 pm 

Interesting stats on clubs that have gotten the most points from a losing position

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footba ... galleries#

Post #452530  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:44 am 

:20hospitals:

Attachments:
putin.jpg
putin.jpg [ 24.15 KB | Viewed 2234 times ]

Post #452531  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:51 am 

Predicted Table after this weekend.

Now...
Chelsea 52
Tottenham 45
Liverpool 45
Arsenal 44
City 42
Man Utd 40

Chelsea vs Hull Chelsea win
City vs Tottenaham draw
Liverpool vs Swansea Liverpool win
Arsenal vs Burnely Arsenal win
Stoke vs Man Utd draw (possible win)

After...
Chelsea 55
Liverpool 48
Arsenal 47
Tottenham 46
City 43
Man Utd 41 (43)

Post #452532  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 am 

Actually that would be Andrew Johnson in the 1860s and Nixon in the modern era but I get the point.

Attachments:

Post #452533  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:44 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Putin takes over without firing a shot :20hospitals:

if you believe that you are even more stupid than I thought .

http://independentpoliticalreport.com/2 ... -russians/

Post #452534  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:05 am 

kiwipete wrote:
http://independentpoliticalreport.com/2016/12/john-mcafee-i-can-guarantee-you-it-was-not-the-russians/

I like the name of that site. You don’t even have to question whether they have an agenda, it says right in the title that they’re independent!

Post #452535  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:04 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

:icon_mrgreen: How's the leg Pete - put any maggots on to clean the wound?

:laughing7: :laughing7: might not be too far off the money there Johnny Boy http://www.livescience.com/203-maggots- ... icine.html .
...but really good thanks for asking ... took the moon boot off and have tentatively walking on it with a degree of caution . No pain at all . Will put the moon boot back on and they can take it off next Monday :icon_mrgreen: .

Retiring in 2 years, if all goes to plan. Counting the days, then of course I hope time stands more or less still!
Tauranga girl doing well thanks - worries me a bit when she tells me she's the senior medic in her hospital overnight on quite a few occasions (not because I don't think she's capable, she certainly is that; just worries me the level of responsibility she has at such a young age.) Mind you she gets good 'in charge' rates, and she tells me there is good phone support when she needs it from the senior consultants.
She was telling us how busy the hospital was over Xmas - dealing with the drunks an obvious one I guess, but this one surprised me (although in hindsight it shouldn't have); a growing issue they now have to deal with, especially at Christmas, is what they call granny dumping. Folks bringing aged relatives into hospital on some medical pretext just to get rid of them for a few days. Sad.

Post #452536  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:45 pm 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Retiring in 2 years, if all goes to plan. Counting the days, then of course I hope time stands more or less still!
Tauranga girl doing well thanks - worries me a bit when she tells me she's the senior medic in her hospital overnight on quite a few occasions (not because I don't think she's capable, she certainly is that; just worries me the level of responsibility she has at such a young age.) Mind you she gets good 'in charge' rates, and she tells me there is good phone support when she needs it from the senior consultants.
She was telling us how busy the hospital was over Xmas - dealing with the drunks an obvious one I guess, but this one surprised me (although in hindsight it shouldn't have); a growing issue they now have to deal with, especially at Christmas, is what they call granny dumping. Folks bringing aged relatives into hospital on some medical pretext just to get rid of them for a few days. Sad.

Hi John. I heard a consultant mention "granny dumping" on the radio here yesterday. He said that it is becoming a problem. In lots of cases the elderly parent is admitted to hospital and when the hospital looks to discharge them, they find that the son or daughter has gone off on holiday. Horrible really.

Post #452537  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:49 pm 

Not AG's biggest fan but I'm finding some of the abuse of him on here is getting both tiresome and most definitely breaking Steve's rules on swearing which we all break but whose spirit I kind of understand. One individual in particular is simply being aggressive and deploying direct foul-mouthed insults and personal attacks (not in a creative or funny way either) and I think they should knock it off.

Post #452538  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:55 pm 

Tired last night after a tough day at work .....so watched a Pay Per View new movie on the box entitled Arsenal....great title huh? Cast had Nick Cage John Cusack and Adrian Grenier (Vincent Chase from Entourage)...thought that looks OK.

Avoid it at all costs...

Post #452539  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:34 pm 

Daz wrote:
Not AG's biggest fan but I'm finding some of the abuse of him on here is getting both tiresome and most definitely breaking Steve's rules on swearing which we all break but whose spirit I kind of understand. One individual in particular is simply being aggressive and deploying direct foul-mouthed insults and personal attacks (not in a creative or funny way either) and I think they should knock it off.

oooooh get errrr is she the new mod?

Post #452540  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:07 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Daz wrote:

oooooh get errrr is she the new mod?

Not at all, I just think you should rein in the unprovoked use of personally directed swearing as it actually isn't that common on this site and I think that's actually a good thing.

Post #452541  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:31 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
http://independentpoliticalreport.com/2016/12/john-mcafee-i-can-guarantee-you-it-was-not-the-russians/

I like the name of that site. You don’t even have to question whether they have an agenda, it says right in the title that they’re independent!

Can the sarcasm :laughing7:
of course the point you are missing young Bjorn Borg ... is that it has to be reported in the way out [ nutcase ] news because the mainstream media ignores it .
It just doesn't fit with their anti Russian stance .

Mc Afee has done fifty years as techno computer whizz what he says makes sense "anyone intelligent enough to hack the Democrats could just as easily cover their tracks ".

So why leave such obvious clues .....using a cyrillic keyboard , the IP address of the Kremlin front office . :laughing7:

You aren't going to sell 100 Abrams tanks to Sweden if you don't keep the Russian bogeyman alive .

Just checked News Now Arsenal ... headline "Ian Wright sees star at gas station who says he is signing for Arsenal " .... whoopee do .....then :icon_sad1:....... it's an article resurrected from before Jesus' crucifixion and referring to Dennis Bergkamp

Post #452542  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:38 pm 

john1 wrote:
, especially at Christmas, is what they call granny dumping. Folks bringing aged relatives into hospital on some medical pretext just to get rid of them for a few days. Sad.

I know only too well ..... Xmas eve , cleared to come home from hospital after the leg chop and my family wanted to leave me there .

Six months would be good

One less mouth to feed and they could clean out my booze cabinet .... b***st*ds :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #452543  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:44 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
of course the point you are missing young Bjorn Borg ... is that it has to be reported in the way out [ nutcase ] news because the mainstream media ignores it .

Mc Afee has done fifty years as techno computer whizz

And the people investigating the hacks are obviously seniors who have to call their children everytime their printer doesn't do what it's supposed to.

Nice bit of circular logic in that first paragraph though. If that's what you need to tell yourself to keep avoiding actual journalism then fair enough I guess.

Post #452544  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:16 am 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Mc Afee has done fifty years as techno computer whizz

And the people investigating the hacks are obviously seniors who have to call their children everytime their printer doesn't do what it's supposed to.

to keep avoiding actual journalism

Well these "people investigating the hacks' , had their systems broken into by a 15 year old ...so yes they probably do seek advice from the kids when the printer doesn't work .

"Actual journalism" ......... :

Oh yeah like you mean the blokes ...... who were blaming Russia for the downing of Malaysian airlines an hour after the event , the ones that were trumpeting 'weapons of mass destruction' prior to leveling Iraq , the ones that announced the collapse of Building Seven half an hour before it happened ...... :laughing7: :laughing7: dear God

Post #452545  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:05 am 

Sol wants back in the game as a coach. I would be doubtful of his coaching ability possibly. I have my reasons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... paign=1490

Post #452546  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:36 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

to keep avoiding actual journalism

Well these "people investigating the hacks' , had their systems broken into by a 15 year old ...so yes they probably do seek advice from the kids when the printer doesn't work .

Oh yeah like you mean the blokes ...... who were blaming Russia for the downing of Malaysian airlines an hour after the event , the ones that were trumpeting 'weapons of mass destruction' prior to leveling Iraq , the ones that announced the collapse of Building Seven half an hour before it happened ...... :laughing7: :laughing7: dear God

You know that bit at the end of Quantum Leap when he jumps into a new body and says 'Oh Boy'...well I kind of feel like that now 'cos I'm going to have to defend MSM. Just a little.

The established press is owned by very rich people who want what is best for very rich people. There is a reason the front pages are Johnny getting an extra tenner on his giro rather than Sir Johnny avoiding a million tenners on his inheritance tax. It's why 12yo Abdul from Afghanistan who arrives in the back of a truck is on the front page but not Abu Dhabi Investments buying a British railway.

But if you go to page 5 there will be a little bit about Sir Johnny, who negotiated the deal with Abu Dhabi Investments, and an almost joke about something he inherited being mentioned in the deal making.

So the money is made, the innocent are vilified, and the papers are sold. The almost joke mentions the names as a little worm and when you hear about the deal a few days later you can't remember why you had a good feeling about ADI (not typing that whole thing again and if it's a real firm I only made it up for alliteration ) but it's Ok that you want foreigners hauled off trailers but also have a good feeling about the company that cuts services to the bone whilst funding shareholder's holiday islands.

I agree with you about MSM Pete, but you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Just because it comes under an MSM banner doesn't mean it's not actually true. In the same way as just because it's on Russia Today doesn't mean it's a truth. It's all about actually, now we have the scope and ability, doing the fact checking. The funny thing is Cannon Balls was a visionary - I swear since he left the forum he's got into marionetting politics because he never liked a fact...

Thing is I actually feel sorry for the journalists today. Take John Cross as he's mentioned often on here. I don't know him but I remember when he started writing reserve reports for the Islington Gazette because someone pointed out the matey who was always over there was writing for the local paper and we were chuffed. He did all the work to get from there to a national and rather than having a chance of being the next Brian Glanville like he'd probably dreamed he has to write the bollocks that the back pages of the tabloids need to get the sale. He studied a craft but ended up making hinges.

Yeah I had a point when I started, but I had some Bushmills left as well... *love ya pete*

Post #452547  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:51 am 

Actually since I mentioned John Cross.

Got a load of Daily Mirrors from 1914 and 1915 a few years back. Autumn of 1914 and through early 1915 there was a sporting columnist who collected donations of (or for) footballs to be sent to the front line. There were lots of updates (it got over well 1000) and the obvious thought is *that* game in 1914 because until then I'd never wondered why they had so many footballs as there wasn't one game, there were loads. I loved the 'story' because it answered something I'd never thought to ask. A few weeks later I was at one of Jr's music things they used to provide and somehow the story came up and one of the guys asked how many balls they collected. I had lots of missing issues obviously and the collecting seemed to vanish suddenly so I randomley tweeted Cross to ask him. He PM'd me back about dates and a week or so later he emailed me a saved chain of messages where he's asked the archive people and their full answers. Never got a final figure but they got the last printed figure (from memory something like 2,500) and knowing that made someone very happy.

Post #452548  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:56 am 

Random.

Attachments:

Post #452549  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:59 am 

More random.

Attachments:

Post #452550  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:01 am 

Grapple them.

Attachments:

Post #452551  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:02 am 

Um.

Attachments:

Post #452552  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:16 am 

Must be getting old, looking above the flaking seems easiest.

(I've got a pair of these...and they fit. Don't work as well for me as Charles 'Dead Shot' Keen's worked for Billy. Oh well.)

Attachments:

Post #452553  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:17 am 

You get the government you deserve. No sympathy for the voters who didn't show up at the polls.

Attachments:

Post #452554  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:00 am 

kiwipete wrote:
["Actual journalism" ......... :

Name all the poor examples of journalism you want, what i sure as hell don't mean by 'actual journalism' are the ones who call people who believe Russia were behind the hacks 're%$#^s'. Just because there is bad journalism out there doesn't mean you can believe everything you want that isn't 'establishment'. That is the real ignorance.

Post #452555  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:56 am 

According to Arseblogger, Arsenal have extended Cazorla's contract by 12 months. Not sure what the story is with Carzola though.

Exiled, those adverts are great. Right, I'm off for a bowl of grape-nuts.

Post #452556  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:00 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
You get the government you deserve. No sympathy for the voters who didn't show up at the polls.

Hitler had pretty big turnouts for his rallies and that didn't all end well. I am not sure I would read much into this at all. The silent disenfranchised voters elected him. They are 'silent' and not likely to turn out. They want results not a party. I share peoples concerns of the new president but the old system was so flawed, it is time for a change.

It may not end well but it is time to try comething different. Bit like a Football club I know.

Post #452557  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:19 am 

dec wrote:
According to Arseblogger, Arsenal have extended Cazorla's contract by 12 months. Not sure what the story is with Carzola though.

Exiled, those adverts are great. Right, I'm off for a bowl of grape-nuts.

I'm quite ok with taking the option to extend Cazorla's and Mertesacker's contract by 1 year, it is important to have their experience in the squad. But.....Wenger needs to have less reliance on them as a squad member who could step in and play 30 games in a season. He's relied on players like Diaby and Rosicky in the past when they should have been in the squad as a bonus, the view should be that we will get 10 games out of these guys - anything more is a bonus, but wenger has kept these players in, they miss the whole season with another injury and we have no cover.

Santi stays - great - but sign a Santi replacement this summer

Post #452558  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
I'm quite ok with taking the option to extend Cazorla's and Mertesacker's contract by 1 year, it is important to have their experience in the squad. But.....Wenger needs to have less reliance on them as a squad member who could step in and play 30 games in a season. He's relied on players like Diaby and Rosicky in the past when they should have been in the squad as a bonus, the view should be that we will get 10 games out of these guys - anything more is a bonus, but wenger has kept these players in, they miss the whole season with another injury and we have no cover.

Santi stays - great - but sign a Santi replacement this summer

We have a lot of midfielders. None of them in the current squad is a replacement?

Post #452559  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:07 pm 

Exiled wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

You know that bit at the end of Quantum Leap when he jumps into a new body and says 'Oh Boy'...well I kind of feel like that now 'cos I'm going to have to defend MSM. Just a little.

The established press is owned by very rich people who want what is best for very rich people. There is a reason the front pages are Johnny getting an extra tenner on his giro rather than Sir Johnny avoiding a million tenners on his inheritance tax. It's why 12yo Abdul from Afghanistan who arrives in the back of a truck is on the front page but not Abu Dhabi Investments buying a British railway.

But if you go to page 5 there will be a little bit about Sir Johnny, who negotiated the deal with Abu Dhabi Investments, and an almost joke about something he inherited being mentioned in the deal making.

So the money is made, the innocent are vilified, and the papers are sold. The almost joke mentions the names as a little worm and when you hear about the deal a few days later you can't remember why you had a good feeling about ADI (not typing that whole thing again and if it's a real firm I only made it up for alliteration ) but it's Ok that you want foreigners hauled off trailers but also have a good feeling about the company that cuts services to the bone whilst funding shareholder's holiday islands.

I agree with you about MSM Pete, but you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Just because it comes under an MSM banner doesn't mean it's not actually true. In the same way as just because it's on Russia Today doesn't mean it's a truth. It's all about actually, now we have the scope and ability, doing the fact checking. The funny thing is Cannon Balls was a visionary - I swear since he left the forum he's got into marionetting politics because he never liked a fact...

Thing is I actually feel sorry for the journalists today. Take John Cross as he's mentioned often on here. I don't know him but I remember when he started writing reserve reports for the Islington Gazette because someone pointed out the matey who was always over there was writing for the local paper and we were chuffed. He did all the work to get from there to a national and rather than having a chance of being the next Brian Glanville like he'd probably dreamed he has to write the bollocks that the back pages of the tabloids need to get the sale. He studied a craft but ended up making hinges.

Yeah I had a point when I started, but I had some Bushmills left as well... *love ya pete*

:1laughter: and I love you too Ex ...always have always will ..... aaahh the power of suggestion .... it's bloody 2 am here was just toddling off to bed ... your mention of Bushmills ...I think can't let the poor bloke drink alone so I've just got a triple rum .
Contrary to what you might believe I don't believe everything that's on Russia Today but I do think them and Al Jazeera have more depth and CNN , Fox , and the BBC .

Post #452560  Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:25 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
["Actual journalism" ......... :

Name all the poor examples of journalism you want, what i sure as hell don't mean by 'actual journalism' are the ones who call people who believe Russia were behind the hacks 're%$#^s'. Just because there is bad journalism out there doesn't mean you can believe everything you want that isn't 'establishment'. That is the real ignorance.

No need to get all aeriated ..... calling the people who believe Russia )(*(&%^% ...who said that ...?
I merely pointed out John McAfee said "those clever enough to do the hacking would be clever enough to conceal their identity ".

Mind you I can see why you get so snotty , you could be conscripted any day soon http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... -ww3-putin

:icon_mrgreen1: Good luck with that one .
Hitler didn't fare so well but the Finns put up a good fight .

[ 559786 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11311, 11312, 11313, 11314, 11315, 11316, 11317 ... 13995  Next