Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, bubblechris, Lincoln gooner, warrior and 62 guests

Post #338641  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:41 am 

Furball wrote:
We have two excellent CBs and Gabriel is at best our 1st or 2nd choice backup. He is more than good enough in that role and the least of our worries.

Perhaps but personally I'm not convinced about him, each to there own opinion though, regardless of this he should not be 2nd choice in the RB position.

We do have a lot of other worries though which we can agree on (sadly!).

Post #338642  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:53 am 

Man Utd had a string of results off mediocre competition. We will likely manage to eke out a top 4 place. Tottenham will likely end up above us for the first time since Wenger has been manager. Hard to tell, the table is so tight but they do seem the most consistent among clubs around them and lower than them in the table.

Remains to be seen. The loss pretty much ended my interest in this season. Maybe a cup run or a CL win over BM may ignite something but I may not be religiously watching matches the rest of the season as I've done before.

When are we going to hear the final word about Wenger's contract?

Post #338643  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:26 am 

thofman wrote:
Wonder will Sanchez do a Van Persie to one of the big PL clubs in the summer or go to the continent instead? Doubt he'll go to China, a player like him in his prime will surely want to be chasing the big trophies.

My guess is, he will be off to the continent

Post #338644  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:38 am 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

I agree with that Bernard, he is the nearest thing to a leader we have but he isn't quite good enough in footballing terms to get us where we supposedly want to be ie. challenging for major trophies.

I am not totally convinced by Mustafi, he's aggressive and decent on the ball and tries to organise things at the back but I thought his defending for the goal last night was woeful. The bloke just walked past him as if he wasn't there.

That goal was frighteningly poor from us. Ramsey jogging back with no intention of winning the ball, while Coq and Mustafi forgot that tackling is part of the game. Abysmal from all three.

Ramsey is poor in defensive plays. With him in the team, I believe opposing managers play the "hoof the ball" strategy, and Ramsey will be many steps behind. It does not help that he saunters back to defend, or remain static in place. Le Coq was surprisingly apprehensive in his tackling against Watford. The 2nd goal resulted from a throw in, which Ramsey couldn't get to because he stupidly took his eyes off the incoming ball. It did not help that he didn't bust his gut to stop the opposing player either. That is the casualness in his style of play which infuriates. Even the commentator mentioned his casualness. I bet Alexis feels likewise (but not Wenger :20hospitals: )

Post #338645  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:09 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Man Utd had a string of results off mediocre competition. We will likely manage to eke out a top 4 place. Tottenham will likely end up above us for the first time since Wenger has been manager. Hard to tell, the table is so tight but they do seem the most consistent among clubs around them and lower than them in the table.

Remains to be seen. The loss pretty much ended my interest in this season. Maybe a cup run or a CL win over BM may ignite something but I may not be religiously watching matches the rest of the season as I've done before.

When are we going to hear the final word about Wenger's contract?

Did you not notice that Spurs drew with Sunderland the day we lost to Watford. Please please take a year off from the forum for the sake of our sanity.

Post #338646  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:11 am 

grantyboy wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Man City are looking good, very very good.

Obviously that's a wind up intended for someone who has you blocked.

Not at all. They were frighteningly good up front and Aguero was sitting on the bench watching them.

With Kompany back they are a different team. Please don't tell the idiot or he'll be telling us next that they will finish second.

Post #338647  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:30 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Did you not notice that Spurs drew with Sunderland the day we lost to Watford. Please please take a year off from the forum for the sake of our sanity.

There’s an argument to be made that Tottenham have been more consistent in producing quality performances this season, even though they haven’t got more points than us. Nothing remotely controversial about that view even if you don’t agree with it. Daz was right, your obsession with AG just comes across as nasty at this point. And boring.

Post #338648  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:51 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:
Did anyone see Rodwell's foul on dembele last night. Similar to the one Xhaka got a red for v Swansea. I know xhaka's red has been post justified by ex refs but we all know it will be the only instance of that ever happening.

Looking at the two goals last night there was a slice of luck in both as well as our poor defending. 4 defenders back and Čech's save falls in the only place where deeney can reach it and score

That second goal had nothing to do with luck. It was appalling defending. We made Capoue look like Maradona. Christ above!

I acknowledged the rank bad defending, but when the shot comes of Čech’s heel (as much as he could be expected in a 1 on 1) there are 4 arsenal defenders in the box and deeney, the rebound off Čech bisects all the arsenal defenders and falls perfectly at the feet of deeney. We deserve absolutely no luck considering the way we defended the goal but for a random rebound to fall in the only place where the striker can score has an element of luck. I’m sure we’ve had similar goals scored for us this season; I’m not saying everything is rosy and it is all down to bad luck I’m just pointing out that both Watford goals had a slice of luck.

Post #338649  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:52 am 

Hazuki wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

There’s an argument to be made that Tottenham have been more consistent in producing quality performances this season, even though they haven’t got more points than us. Nothing remotely controversial about that view even if you don’t agree with it. Daz was right, your obsession with AG just comes across as nasty at this point. And boring.

Similar to last year where Spurs were the better team, we've been relying on late goals and dodgy performances for a few weeks and it was going to catch up with us sooner or later. Without doubt Spurs have produced greater consistency and a greater number of really good performances than us this season

Post #338650  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Similar to last year where Spurs were the better team, we've been relying on late goals and dodgy performances for a few weeks and it was going to catch up with us sooner or later. Without doubt Spurs have produced greater consistency and a greater number of really good performances than us this season

Same applies to all the top teams, Chelsea aside, anybody can finish anywhere.

That's the point I keep making.

Post #338651  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:08 am 

Met somebody from Leicester yesterday about something far removed from football, but with the difference between last season and this for them, the discussion eventually got round to football. He thinks it's a massive shame Vardy didn't join Arsenal last summer, not just because he's gone so far backwards that it would have been good for Leicester to get rid of him for a decent transfer fee, but because it would have been good for the player and Arsenal - not that the latter was important to the Leicester fan. He thinks Vardy needed a new challenge, and a move to Arsenal would have given him that. Therefore, his form would have been much better, which would obviously good for both Vardy the player and Arsenal the club, as well as Leicester City also benefiting from the move in getting rid of him for a good fee. He's certain Vardy must now regret his decision to turn down the move.

Post #338652  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am 

richie wrote:
Sutton United v Arsenal Monday 20th live on BBC1

Pain in the arse time for a football match but it could be worse. Could be Blyth Spartans or St Ives.

Sweating on tickets. Full house on away credits for PL fixtures in the last 3 years but only 2 away credits for CL and none for League Cup.

Fingers crossed.

Post #338653  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:01 am 

Attachment:

My radio alarm went off this morning at 6:45 playing ‘I Got You Babe’. I immediately thought ‘Groundhog Day’.

And so it is. Punxsutawney Phil does his thing later today.

Been Groundhog Day for a while around here but at least today, it’s official.

edit

..and this is where the little chap lives - see above:

Post #338654  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:54 am 

Those groundhogs look dangerous. When I went camping as a kid for a couple weeks out in the woods of Pennsylvania, used to see them and think 'No effing way I'd pick up one of those things to figure out if spring is coming'. The ones they pick up must be tame to a certain extent or slightly sedated.

Post #338655  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:29 pm 

Hard to argue with the old bung heap.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 56301.html

Post #338656  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:41 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:
For all the criticism he gets, Mertesacker is the nearest thing Arsenal currently have to a leader on the pitch. That doesn't mean he's comparable to McLintock or Adams; he's not even close. But out of the current squad, I think he is the nearest we have to a leader on the pitch and everything I've heard about his influence off the pitch backs it up. When Mertesacker does move on I'd say Mustafi, out of the players already here, is arguably the best bet for the armband. Koscielny is an outstanding defender, but that doesn't make him a captain.

I agree with that Bernard, he is the nearest thing to a leader we have but he isn't quite good enough in footballing terms to get us where we supposedly want to be ie. challenging for major trophies.

I am not totally convinced by Mustafi, he's aggressive and decent on the ball and tries to organise things at the back but I thought his defending for the goal last night was woeful. The bloke just walked past him as if he wasn't there.

Afternoon socrates. Although I think he's better than you do, I realise you're not totally convinced by Mustafi. But as you say, he is aggressive and at least tries to organise things at the back. He also tries to drive the team forward when we're in desperate need of a late goal. It's those qualities that makes me believe, out of the players currently in the squad, that after Mertesacker he's the nearest thing we have to a leader on the pitch. For me that makes him worthy of serious consideration when a new club captain, post-Mertesacker, is selected.

Post #338657  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:20 pm 

thofman wrote:

Thing is thofman, the world and his wife keep telling us what an intelligent man Wenger is. Well if he is that clever presumably he must realise that spouting post Watford match garbage like "players weren't mentally ready" totally contradicts his repeated statements about the "mental strength" of his squad, and it is also an indictment on his competence as manager. If the players aren't properly prepared when they cross the white line, whose fault is that?

Post #338658  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:27 pm 

tomc wrote:
thofman wrote:

Thing is thofman, the world and his wife keep telling us what an intelligent man Wenger is. Well if he is that clever presumably he must realise that spouting post Watford match garbage like "players weren't mentally ready" totally contradicts his repeated statements about the "mental strength" of his squad, and it is also an indictment on his competence as manager. If the players aren't properly prepared when they cross the white line, whose fault is that?

He's full of it.

Post #338659  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:38 pm 

thofman wrote:
tomc wrote:

He's full of it.

Indeed. Well fingers crossed he'll be out the door come the summer.

Post #338660  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:49 pm 

tomc wrote:
thofman wrote:
He's full of it.

According to trusted sources, Wenger's been offered a new contract. If he ends up signing it, I'll see it as pure selfishness. He has very little in his life outside football and he needs his job to fill his life - hence my selfishness theory.

Post #338661  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:16 pm 

Wenger speaks to his players through his press statements. He can't very well say they lack it. He could but it would do more harm than good.

As for the match. I'm actually looking forward to it. Its one of those matches we all expect a loss and its these types of games that Arsenal sometimes win. Against the run of form and we give false hope (i.e. City win last season). I told a Tottenham coworker I think we would win 1-2 and he looked at me like I had a crack pipe...haha...(assuming trolls will quote that last statement :toothy9: )

I think we will make top 4. Its just the Arsenal thing to do.

Post #338662  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Wenger speaks to his players through his press statements. He can't very well say they lack it. He could but it would do more harm than good.

As for the match. I'm actually looking forward to it. Its one of those matches we all expect a loss and its these types of games that Arsenal sometimes win. Against the run of form and we give false hope (i.e. City win last season). I told a Tottenham coworker I think we would win 1-2 and he looked at me like I had a crack pipe...haha...(assuming trolls will quote that last statement :toothy9: )

I think we will make top 4. Its just the Arsenal thing to do.

Arsenal did the double on the eventual champions last year. Isn't there a trophy for that in Wenger's universe? If they pull it off again, he'll never leave.

Post #338663  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:52 pm 

That's the Catch 22 of being an Arsenal fan who wants Wenger to leave with whats left of his dignity. We win matches like the upcoming one, it gives him cover to stay and you don't want to admit but deep down almost want a bad result if it means he goes.

Post #338664  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:57 pm 

If Wenger can beat Chelsea and Liverpool and go unbeaten till the end of the season, not only would I give him another season, I'd make him Club President for life.

How anyone could think it would be better for us to lose any game let alone against Chelsea, is beyond me.

Post #338665  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:16 pm 

thofman wrote:

Your right You can't

Interesting that he says

" Arsene talks about them being unlucky or that some of them are tired and the players believe it too easily"

Which was exactly the point I and others were making about the run up to the Bournemouth game, which others dismissed too easily

I think a manager of redknapp's experience - whether we like him or not- knows a bit about how the managers message affects the players

Post #338666  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Met somebody from Leicester yesterday about something far removed from football, but with the difference between last season and this for them, the discussion eventually got round to football. He thinks it's a massive shame Vardy didn't join Arsenal last summer, not just because he's gone so far backwards that it would have been good for Leicester to get rid of him for a decent transfer fee, but because it would have been good for the player and Arsenal - not that the latter was important to the Leicester fan. He thinks Vardy needed a new challenge, and a move to Arsenal would have given him that. Therefore, his form would have been much better, which would obviously good for both Vardy the player and Arsenal the club, as well as Leicester City also benefiting from the move in getting rid of him for a good fee. He's certain Vardy must now regret his decision to turn down the move.

I think last season may well have been a freak for Vardy and he has now returned to his usual level.

Post #338667  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:27 pm 

tomc wrote:
thofman wrote:

As it happens, I think the first half against Watford is on the players.They were dire. They also knew full well that they had an opportunity to gain points on rivals so should have been in the correct frame of mind even if Wenger said absolutely nothing to them before the game.

Post #338668  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:31 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
If Wenger can beat Chelsea and Liverpool and go unbeaten till the end of the season, not only would I give him another season, I'd make him Club President for life.

How anyone could think it would be better for us to lose any game let alone against Chelsea, is beyond me.

When push comes to shove - in the game itself - we're behind them , but to be honest a win will be a 'hollow' one at best as we're not going to catch Chelsea ( not least of all because we're likely to bottle it against someone we underestimate somewhere) , and it's likely to get the akb's hailing their lord and master for 3 months irrespective. So if defeat in both these games increases the chances of him going at the seasons end then I can see the advantage most definitely

If that makes me disloyal tough! , we're in unchartered territory with the life cycle of most managers and have been for years , and having supported the club for the number of years I have, I've earned the right

Post #338669  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

According to trusted sources, Wenger's been offered a new contract. If he ends up signing it, I'll see it as pure selfishness. He has very little in his life outside football and he needs his job to fill his life - hence my selfishness theory.

Well Bernard we have to hope that Kevin w's source is right when he says that the story of the new contract is Just that a story

Time will tell, I agree with what you say though

Post #338670  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:47 pm 

dec wrote:
tomc wrote:

As it happens, I think the first half against Watford is on the players.They were dire. They also knew full well that they had an opportunity to gain points on rivals so should have been in the correct frame of mind even if Wenger said absolutely nothing to them before the game.

Wasn't it the way the team was set up that screwed us? They were passing back to the halfway line throughout the game, there was no putting pressure on Watford at all. If Ramsey had to play it should never have been as a DM. I can't remember a single game where he was playing DM that he or the team played well. Maitland Niles could have done the job, Perez could have played and he could have risked Theo from the start There was plenty of cover if he had another setback and this was a must win game. Even Sanchez playing up front would have been better than imo another non performance game on the wing. Yes he played his socks off but we needed him in the box not back in defence.

The rest is now history but I hope AW takes risks and we play our last games like we did against Saints.

Post #338671  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:48 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

When push comes to shove - in the game itself - we're behind them , but to be honest a win will be a 'hollow' one at best as we're not going to catch Chelsea ( not least of all because we're likely to bottle it against someone we underestimate somewhere) , and it's likely to get the akb's hailing their lord and master for 3 months irrespective. So if defeat in both these games increases the chances of him going at the seasons end then I can see the advantage most definitely

If that makes me disloyal tough! , we're in unchartered territory with the life cycle of most managers and have been for years , and having supported the club for the number of years I have, I've earned the right

I can't see a defeat away to Chelsea being a decisive factor in Wenger's future. Anyone who thinks a win for us changes anything is wildly optimistic too. Unless things totally fall apart, Wenger will be offered a new deal. It's up to him as to whether he wants to continue.

I hope they beat Chelsea and go on a fantastic run. I don't believe for a second that we will though. We are too flawed. The central midfield is dysfunctional. There is no leader or organiser in the middle of the park. Xhaka might be the one if he wasnt such a clown. There is nobody else in there though and even if we beat Chelsea, that lack of leadership will continue to hurt us.

Post #338672  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:52 pm 

dec wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

I can't see a defeat away to Chelsea being a decisive factor in Wenger's future. Anyone who thinks a win for us changes anything is wildly optimistic too. Unless things totally fall apart, Wenger will be offered a new deal. It's up to him as to whether he wants to continue.

I hope they beat Chelsea and go on a fantastic run. I don't believe for a second that we will though. We are too flawed. The central midfield is dysfunctional. There is no leader or organiser in the middle of the park. Xhaka might be the one if he wasnt such a clown. There is nobody else in there though and even if we beat Chelsea, that lack of leadership will continue to hurt us.

As I said , if he does leave this is exactly how it will be spun , that the contract offer was on the table

Post #338673  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:54 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
dec wrote:

Wasn't it the way the team was set up that screwed us? They were passing back to the halfway line throughout the game, there was no putting pressure on Watford at all. If Ramsey had to play it should never have been as a DM. I can't remember a single game where he was playing DM that he or the team played well. Maitland Niles could have done the job, Perez could have played and he could have risked Theo from the start There was plenty of cover if he had another setback and this was a must win game. Even Sanchez playing up front would have been better than imo another non performance game on the wing. Yes he played his socks off but we needed him in the box not back in defence.

The rest is now history but I hope AW takes risks and we play our last games like we did against Saints.

I don't think team set-up was a factor at all. There was no tactical issue. That starting line-up was more than capable of beating Watford. There's nothing new in Coq playing ahead of Ramsey. Coq has been employed high up the pitch all season to press the opposition in their own half. His distribution is weak also, so Wenger prefers to put a more creative player closer to the centre backs. As it happens he was right where a DM should be for Watford's second goal but defended like an Özil.

Post #338674  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:57 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
dec wrote:

As I said , if he does leave this is exactly how it will be spun , that the contract offer was on the table

Is it spin? I think it is very likely that he will be offered a new contract unless things go totally pear-shaped.

Post #338675  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:07 pm 

Chuba coming on for his Brighton debut. The boys need him they are three-one down to Huddersfield at the moment and getting well gubbed

Go on chuba do your stuff

Post #338676  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:17 pm 

dec wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

Is it spin? I think it is very likely that he will be offered a new contract unless things go totally pear-shaped.

Who knows? I'm only saying what Kevin whitcher told me after the Norwich home game at the back end of last season ( and he has repeated on the online gooner since) what a "well connected" source told him was going to happen , Kevin is not the sort of guy to go ott, but then again it could change

One thing, the dissent inside the stadium will increase if we're out of everything bar top 4 by April , and I think a lot of fans sat on their hands out of loyalty last season, with the contract ending I'm not sure those in the middle ground will feel the same if he re-signs before the end of the season.

Post #338677  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:37 pm 

Tell you one thing if Huddersfield dont make it up via the play offs a prem club will snap klopp's mate Wagner up, his team is very impressive and it's so nice to watch tactical coaching during a game even if it is against the team I'm rooting for tonight

Post #338678  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:27 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:

Interesting that he says

" Arsene talks about them being unlucky or that some of them are tired and the players believe it too easily"

Which was exactly the point I and others were making about the run up to the Bournemouth game, which others dismissed too easily

I think a manager of redknapp's experience - whether we like him or not- knows a bit about how the managers message affects the players

I've said it a thousand times ... so why not again .

Firstly for all his intelligence he doesn't speak English that well .
He has a gobbledegook way of speaking . adverbs , pronouns whatever in the wrong place so I doubt he can really deliver a blistering harangue .

Secondly everything is so f**&&%^%$# positive in his world .

Sam Allardyce came out and blamed James Collins for a c*ckup which lost West Ham a game , that is never going to happen with Arsene , he may mumble about defensive naivety but that's blanket criticism which does nothing to motivate players .

He's petrified of upsetting his charges not realising that a bazooka up the arse of Ramsay , Walcott . Oxo to name a few would make them improve or hand in a transfer request ... either way that's a win .

Post #338679  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:00 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

Interesting that he says

I've said it a thousand times ... so why not again .

Firstly for all his intelligence he doesn't speak English that well .
He has a gobbledegook way of speaking . adverbs , pronouns whatever in the wrong place so I doubt he can really deliver a blistering harangue .

Secondly everything is so f**&&%^%$# positive in his world .

Sam Allardyce came out and blamed James Collins for a c*ckup which lost West Ham a game , that is never going to happen with Arsene , he may mumble about defensive naivety but that's blanket criticism which does nothing to motivate players .

He's petrified of upsetting his charges not realising that a bazooka up the arse of Ramsay , Walcott . Oxo to name a few would make them improve or hand in a transfer request ... either way that's a win .

You may well say it 5000, but that's not the point I made , I was clearly talking about saying the players are tired they start believing they are

Post #338680  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:51 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
dec wrote:

Who knows? I'm only saying what Kevin whitcher told me after the Norwich home game at the back end of last season ( and he has repeated on the online gooner since) what a "well connected" source told him was going to happen , Kevin is not the sort of guy to go ott, but then again it could change

One thing, the dissent inside the stadium will increase if we're out of everything bar top 4 by April , and I think a lot of fans sat on their hands out of loyalty last season, with the contract ending I'm not sure those in the middle ground will feel the same if he re-signs before the end of the season.

The most worrying thing is not if he accepts the offer but that the offer was made in the first place, it just shows that the board is either lacking ambition and/or knowledge of football for not seing that Wenger's way is no longer moving the club forward, I have to admit I think it is probably both, I can't understand why more fans aren't getting on the board's back rather than Wenger, I think they are missing the point.

This is why I am reaching the end of my tether now, I just don't see how the club has a bright future under these muppets in charge, I already have visions 10 years down the line of a half empty Emirates, 7th place and Spurs lording it over us, it's bad enough playing second fiddle to Chelsea but if that happens it will be a serious dereliction of duty, we had everything in place to be the biggest club in London and are in danger of becoming the 3rd biggest, sick of the excuses about Abramovich now, our board chose not to put any money in and rely on Wenger to run the club single handedly, Ivan Gazidis can f**k right off with his self-sustaining bs propaganda while he gets paid £3m a year to do bugger all.

[ 444685 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8464, 8465, 8466, 8467, 8468, 8469, 8470 ... 11118  Next