Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, john1, mcquilkie and 256 guests

Post #421081  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:13 pm 

Rich wrote:
http://www.football365.com/news/arsenals-bellerin-it-didnt-feel-like-we-were-ready

How many more times can we keep saying we weren't ready for the game before we do something about it? We had 11 or 12 days to prepare for the game, wenger even blamed our slow start on the fact we had too long without a game.

I'd like to ask wenger how long he does want between games to ensure he can make the team start sharply, any idiot could have told you liverpool would start like a house on fire and try to score early. Wenger says we lose our sharpness when we play wed then sat, he says we lose our sharpness when we don't play for 2 weeks. He just needs to admit he is unable to motivate this team any more.

Also wenger seems to be brainwashing the players with the same excuses. Bellerin saying 'it doesn't matter about the other team' and basically saying if we play how we want to, how we know we can then we have nothing else to worry about. It is arrogant and down right stupid. It is this kind of blind faith that has led to wengers downfall

I also find the quote "We got one goal back and had a chance to make it 2-2 but sometimes it’s too late.” because after it went 2-1 we didn't have a single shot on target for the rest of the game.

Wenger is nothing but loads of invented excuses nowadays. Sad to see him stoop so low. His credibilty as a coach went much earlier, but now he is putting his credibility as a person on the line as well. He should just pack it in. Salvage whatever is left for people to admire, of him.

Post #421082  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:33 pm 

socrates wrote:
Morning all,

If its true that Allegri wants the job then I think we have to make that decision. I'm not saying its a guarantee that things will improve but he looks the best of a fairly limited bunch of suitable candidates, given his track record and his age.

What is clear is that we cannot go on the way we are without something changing, be it the manager, backroom staff or owners. Or maybe we can because Kroenke appears to have no real ambition for the club in any sporting sense.

I thought Wenger looked haunted yesterday and it saddens me to see but it looks like he's lost the dressing room and the ability to motivate. He's also making increasingly bizarre decisions, with dropping Alexis being the latest and worst in a long line.

Sadly I have to agree. Despite being able to come out punching in the odd press conference, Wenger certainly looks like more of a dead man walking than at any time before, and the 'unbelievable belief' cited by Merse all those years ago is nowhere to be seen.

Post #421083  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Wikipedia jumping the gun again. This is their page on Allegri, and read the first sentence as it currently stands. I'm sure it'll be changed soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massimiliano_Allegri

These are the lines I like in his biog....
"Allegri has been praised for his tactical intelligence"
"Allegri has also been lauded for his versatility, which he demonstrated by adopting and switching between several different formations during his first season with Juventus"
"Juventus defend low with a 5–4–1, they press with a 4–4–2 and they attack with a 4–2–3–1."

All sounds great to me! :emoticon_mClapp:

Notice the first sentence has been changed now.

Post #421084  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:35 pm 

socrates wrote:
Sabir wrote:
Xhaka has a sweet left foot and maybe with the right partner he'll become the player we had hoped we were buying. However, with hindsight I think we should have looked elsewhere. I cannot believe we spunked £70m on Mustafi and Xhaka. Both good players but value for money? No way.

Hi Sab,

I've been fairly vocal in expressing my disappointment with both Xhaka and Mustafi. I hope its just first season syndrome but Xhaka looks too one paced for the frenetic pace of the PL and Mustafi looks too short and slow. Xhaka is technically excellent with a lovely weight of pass and Mustafi is aggressive and vocal so I'm not saying they don't have positive attributes but at the moment their limitations do not justify the outlay on them.

Not yet. Though both have shown enough for me that in the right set-up they can be very effective, and as such I'm reserving judgement for another year, particularly if that involves a new manager.

Post #421085  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:50 pm 

lomekian wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Sab,

I've been fairly vocal in expressing my disappointment with both Xhaka and Mustafi. I hope its just first season syndrome but Xhaka looks too one paced for the frenetic pace of the PL and Mustafi looks too short and slow. Xhaka is technically excellent with a lovely weight of pass and Mustafi is aggressive and vocal so I'm not saying they don't have positive attributes but at the moment their limitations do not justify the outlay on them.

Not yet. Though both have shown enough for me that in the right set-up they can be very effective, and as such I'm reserving judgement for another year, particularly if that involves a new manager.

I agree with that. Xhaka makes perfect sense as the deep playmaker but we are very unbalanced and seem to only have one style of play - short passing. As for Mustafi, he is probably adjusting to being totally exposed as all Arsenal centre backs frequently are.

Post #421086  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:53 pm 

Rich wrote:
I often think if a new manager came in next season which players would be booted out the door - there are plenty of candidates. But then I think what could a new manager do with some of these players. Far too often it seems to me that our players have tonnes of talent but don't do the things that come for free or can be taught on the training pitch.
I immediately think of Ramsey and Ox. I don't think either has ever been properly taught how to play their position, wenger hasn't really even found their best position in the team yet. Is there any reason Ramsey can't be regularly putting in the performances Lallana has this season?

I think a new manager could do better with 2/3 of this squad overnight just be drilling them in collective pressing, defensive positioning and patterns of play in the middle third.

Post #421087  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sabir wrote:
For a team that has been abject in the middle of the park, it's a travesty that Jack is out on loan. I know some people want to see the back of him but in my opinion, he definitely deserves at least one more season.

If he wasn't out on loan I'm certain he'd be starting for us at the moment.

No energy or distribution in the centre of the park currently

Each time I have seen Bournemouth this season, Arter has been their standout midfielder. Jack has lots of talent but I think the injuries have taken their toll. Sadly, I don't think he will ever be top level.

Post #421088  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:58 pm 

lomekian wrote:
socrates wrote:
Morning all,

If its true that Allegri wants the job then I think we have to make that decision. I'm not saying its a guarantee that things will improve but he looks the best of a fairly limited bunch of suitable candidates, given his track record and his age.

What is clear is that we cannot go on the way we are without something changing, be it the manager, backroom staff or owners. Or maybe we can because Kroenke appears to have no real ambition for the club in any sporting sense.

I thought Wenger looked haunted yesterday and it saddens me to see but it looks like he's lost the dressing room and the ability to motivate. He's also making increasingly bizarre decisions, with dropping Alexis being the latest and worst in a long line.

Sadly I have to agree. Despite being able to come out punching in the odd press conference, Wenger certainly looks like more of a dead man walking than at any time before, and the 'unbelievable belief' cited by Merse all those years ago is nowhere to be seen.

I respect the fact that you and others have felt sympathy for him far longer than I have. Maybe when he finally goes I'll feel some, but unfortunately the arrogance he is has shown over several years in trying to cling on in desperation to some meaning in his life and former glories, and the way he is damaging Arsenal -even though I'm sure he doesn't think he is- means I can't feel sad for him. The debate over his legacy can start once he's gone , but Wenger has seriously undermined his achievements by sticking around for the last 3 years at least and I would go back further.

Whilst you and others on this forum have given Wenger the benefit of the doubt until a lot more recently, based on various issues including the money available until 2013 (Without raking all over that again ), a lot of his character traits - and there negative impact - have been obvious to many of us for years and this was why we got to this point circa 2010 11. Never again should a big football club allow one employee such power. As always the Ferguson comparison in longevity werevcompletely different as he was a consistent winner, and besides in some ways he was always quite humble about his role as an employee within Manchester United even though he is a managerial legend.

Post #421089  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:04 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Each time I have seen Bournemouth this season, Arter has been their standout midfielder. Jack has lots of talent but I think the injuries have taken their toll. Sadly, I don't think he will ever be top level.

Watched an interview with Liam Brady the other day and he was saying the same.

Post #421090  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
Northbank Memories wrote:

I would like (it won't happen) for a new manager to come in next season and buy no one. Just go with the same squad all season and see if he can improve them.

I said the same thing recently. In the real world, and if we got a new manager, I would be hoping he will be bringing in new exciting signings, addressing key weaknesses. But one thing I do agree with Wenger on is that new signings do not guarantee the resolution to problems, so many of our problems can be fixed on the training pitch and with a beter attitude.

There was an interview with Conte recently where he described tactics as being the thing that helped the less talented player, because that player then knows where he should be at all times, where his team mates will be, what his job is etc - all this means he can put his whole concentration in to his touch, his passing - possibly areas he is weaker at. It alleviates the pressure on that player because the thinking has been done for him.

This is actually the biggest problem with Wenger. Between 97-06 he managed to inherit, shape and buy players who formed 2 or 3 squads packed with tactical intelligence and individual intelligence and strength of character. You hear the 98 squad, 02 squad and 04 squad talk about themselves and each other and not only are they all really strong characters with a certain conviction, but they are all very very smart players. And Wenger's style is perfect for well trained, experienced and intelligent players as it places an onus on trust, personal responsibility and freedom to develop solutions. But when your players aren't as good or intelligent or tactically aware it falls down because there is no systemic comfort blanket.

Post #421091  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:21 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Wilshere is very talented, but in the modern game I wonder if he has the pace and power to really make his mark at a top premiership club - also the lack of goals and assists is a concern. Guardiola is a big fan - what would the price be that we say ok you can go to City? £25m?

Post #421092  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Not a fan of aftv but this geezer nails a few topics on their head

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... bks04RZ6Yw

Yeah, very true. Helps when they talk to someone who a) makes any sense and b) doesn't want to be a youtube celeb. Can't argue with too much he's said there at all.

Post #421093  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:32 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
lomekian wrote:

I respect the fact that you and others have felt sympathy for him far longer than I have. Maybe when he finally goes I'll feel some, but unfortunately the arrogance he is has shown over several years in trying to cling on in desperation to some meaning in his life and former glories, and the way he is damaging Arsenal -even though I'm sure he doesn't think he is- means I can't feel sad for him. The debate over his legacy can start once he's gone , but Wenger has seriously undermined his achievements by sticking around for the last 3 years at least and I would go back further.

Whilst you and others on this forum have given Wenger the benefit of the doubt until a lot more recently, based on various issues including the money available until 2013 (Without raking all over that again ), a lot of his character traits - and there negative impact - have been obvious to many of us for years and this was why we got to this point circa 2010 11. Never again should a big football club allow one employee such power. As always the Ferguson comparison in longevity werevcompletely different as he was a consistent winner, and besides in some ways he was always quite humble about his role as an employee within Manchester United even though he is a managerial legend.

I think the thing is, even I have been aware of his failings for a 8 years or so, but felt the strengths outweighed the weaknesses given our position. I still maintain that he did a really good job for the club until maybe 2011 and then was still in the credit column at the end of each year up until 2015. Last year was a let down and this year, with the money spent in the summer has to be seen as a real disappointment, as he finally bought players in the needed positions and spent money like the manager of a big club for the first time since 2001, and the team is no better than last year, despite Sanchez having a wonderful season as an unexpected striker.

I could live with his stubbornness and tactical weaknesses when he was still picking up either top quality or potential top quality players in the 10m bracket or less, because he was showing a strength that his direct rivals were not. But when you spend £90m on players net in a summer and get a similar level of collective performance as before, then the relative strength if identifying gems doesn't hold as much weight.

Also frankly, tactically and at times selection wise, this year he seems more out of touch than ever, to be honest. At least his chaotic systems before seemed specifically designed to suit a certain style or philosphy or were built around our best players. This year, since maybe November, its been almost impossible to even identify what the manager is trying to do.

Post #421094  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:34 pm 

Lom but there were also players during the successful era that needed a lot of help and were not naturally brilliant in their positions. He made good players great, changed players' positions successfully and even turned unknowns into brilliant players. Toure's conversion to centre back was a masterstroke and Lauren at rb was also a brilliant move. This would have needed a lot of coaching. Cashley even, developed a lot under Wenger, I think he was an offensive player to begin with but improved incredibly as a defender.

Post #421095  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
dec wrote:

Wilshere is very talented, but in the modern game I wonder if he has the pace and power to really make his mark at a top premiership club - also the lack of goals and assists is a concern. Guardiola is a big fan - what would the price be that we say ok you can go to City? £25m?

I think he has lost that split second. The quick change of direction or quick pass is gone. He has the brain and the guts to play as a DM but is far too fragile. Then again, I'd probably have him in the squad ahead of Coquelin.

Post #421096  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:44 pm 

Sabir wrote:
Lom but there were also players during the successful era that needed a lot of help and were not naturally brilliant in their positions. He made good players great, changed players' positions successfully and even turned unknowns into brilliant players. Toure's conversion to centre back was a masterstroke and Lauren at rb was also a brilliant move. This would have needed a lot of coaching. Cashley even, developed a lot under Wenger, I think he was an offensive player to begin with but improved incredibly as a defender.

True (though Toure was actually a centre half in the ivory coast before coming to Arsenal but lacked positional discipline), but Cole and Lauren were both incredibly motivated and strong characters AND were converted within very strong teams surrounded by top players with great tactical knowledge. Of course Wenger improved them, as he did a lot of players, but they were all pretty remarkable individuals. The invincibles book by Amy Lawrence gives a wonderful insight into the personalities of that group, and it seems a massive contrast to much of the current lot. Also, many of them had experienced real journeys, often involving hardship, rejection or personal issues that led them to that point. Mentally tough guys, even Bobby Pires in his own way.

The current lot? Not enough mentally tough and tactically intelligent players to keep the rest going and aid their development. Its why I've no problem with Mertesacker having his contract renewed. He's a very smart guy, universally respected by the others and talks about life and the game very well. But not many of them come across as particularly strong mentally or serious about their work when interviewed.

From what I've seen of them I'd say, Mertesacker, Sanchez, Welbeck, Čech, Kos are good guys to build a squad around personality wise. I suspect that when a new man comes in, 5-10 of our current squad will be gone in 2 years, as not all will be able to adjust to a different managerial approach.

Post #421097  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:44 pm 

Sabir wrote:

This is true. Kos was far from the finished article when we signed him too. RVP went from a sort of half-striker to one of the best out and out centre-forwards in Europe. The short-passing game, absence of physical misfielders and a tactic of fullbacks playing too far forward has left us hugely vulnerable against good sides for years.

Post #421098  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:59 pm 

We had some absolute beasts at that time. For me, Sol was immense. Once the 98 team was disbanded, we needed a rock solid player that would be our foundation to build on. We already had Vieira, Henry and Bergkamp. But if we didn't get Sol, that back four we had in our title wins in 02 and 04 just doesn't work no matter how self motivated and determined they were. That is why imo, he is England's best centre back in the last 20 years and alongside Adams as Arsenal's two greatest centre backs. That team had such a great spine that others were able to flourish. Players like Edu, Wiltord, Freddy etc were all excellent but not world class. Yet blossomed because of the three/four world class players that we did have. We also played a more direct, aggressive less tippy tippy game not mention that the rest of the league was also significantly weaker.

Post #421099  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:05 pm 

Sabir wrote:
We had some absolute beasts at that time. For me, Sol was immense. Once the 98 team was disbanded, we needed a rock solid player that would be our foundation to build on. We already had Vieira, Henry and Bergkamp. But if we didn't get Sol, that back four we had in our title wins in 02 and 04 just doesn't work no matter how self motivated and determined they were. That is why imo, he is England's best centre back in the last 20 years and alongside Adams as Arsenal's two greatest centre backs. That team had such a great spine that others were able to flourish. Players like Edu, Wiltord, Freddy etc were all excellent but not world class. Yet blossomed because of the three/four world class players that we did have. We also played a more direct, aggressive less tippy tippy game not mention that the rest of the league was also significantly weaker.

Hi Sab,

Any defence in europe would have improved with Sol in their backline. He was a man mountain.......big, powerful, quick, athletic and intimidating. Few opposition players fancied a 50-50 with Sol.

Look at yesterday, Kos (who is our best CB of the last few years) was losing headers to players who aren't even good in the air.

Post #421100  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:10 pm 

Hi Soc. Kos remains our best defender but he still has a casual nature about him sometimes and is not dominant in the air. Which is why I desperately wanted his new partner to be a beast in the air.

Sol was head and shoulders above Koscielny. You could do a similar thing throughout the whole side with then and now players. Not forgetting that the opposition is also much stronger nowadays.

Post #421101  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:13 pm 

Sabir wrote:
We had some absolute beasts at that time. For me, Sol was immense. Once the 98 team was disbanded, we needed a rock solid player that would be our foundation to build on. We already had Vieira, Henry and Bergkamp. But if we didn't get Sol, that back four we had in our title wins in 02 and 04 just doesn't work no matter how self motivated and determined they were. That is why imo, he is England's best centre back in the last 20 years and alongside Adams as Arsenal's two greatest centre backs.

I agree about Campbell. When Wenger's gone (hopefully only another three months) and people start discussing his very best signings, for me Sol is in the top three with Henry and Vieira. I suppose pedants might argue Vieira can't officially be counted as a Wenger signing because he signed for the club before Wenger's first day of employment as Arsenal manager. But I do as we all know Vieira was only signed because Wenger asked Dein to get him.

Post #421102  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:18 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

I think the thing is, even I have been aware of his failings for a 8 years or so, but felt the strengths outweighed the weaknesses given our position. I still maintain that he did a really good job for the club until maybe 2011 and then was still in the credit column at the end of each year up until 2015. Last year was a let down and this year, with the money spent in the summer has to be seen as a real disappointment, as he finally bought players in the needed positions and spent money like the manager of a big club for the first time since 2001, and the team is no better than last year, despite Sanchez having a wonderful season as an unexpected striker.

I could live with his stubbornness and tactical weaknesses when he was still picking up either top quality or potential top quality players in the 10m bracket or less, because he was showing a strength that his direct rivals were not. But when you spend £90m on players net in a summer and get a similar level of collective performance as before, then the relative strength if identifying gems doesn't hold as much weight.

Also frankly, tactically and at times selection wise, this year he seems more out of touch than ever, to be honest. At least his chaotic systems before seemed specifically designed to suit a certain style or philosphy or were built around our best players. This year, since maybe November, its been almost impossible to even identify what the manager is trying to do.

I reached the "credit in the bank " moment in may 2009 after the Man U & chavs home thrashings in a week, by the 2011 collape after the Birmingham final he'd run out for me , coincidentally that was a contract renewal year too

Post #421103  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:20 pm 

I had heard the hype about Sol from my Spud mates but it was only when I saw him in the flesh keep Wrighty in his back pocket a couple of times and once quite easily beat Owen (don't ask why I was at Shite Hart Lane) in a straight race that I realised how quick and powerful he was. He was linked with all the massive clubs so to get him when the likes of Adams, Keown and Uncle Bouldy were reaching the end was beyond sensational. I agree with the top three AW signings but impossible to put in order.

Post #421104  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:31 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Sabir wrote:
We had some absolute beasts at that time. For me, Sol was immense. Once the 98 team was disbanded, we needed a rock solid player that would be our foundation to build on. We already had Vieira, Henry and Bergkamp. But if we didn't get Sol, that back four we had in our title wins in 02 and 04 just doesn't work no matter how self motivated and determined they were. That is why imo, he is England's best centre back in the last 20 years and alongside Adams as Arsenal's two greatest centre backs.

I agree about Campbell. When Wenger's gone (hopefully only another three months) and people start discussing his very best signings, for me Sol is in the top three with Henry and Vieira. I suppose pedants might argue Vieira can't officially be counted as a Wenger signing because he signed for the club before Wenger's first day of employment as Arsenal manager. But I do as we all know Vieira was only signed because Wenger asked Dein to get him.

I really would have to put bobby in the top 3 , with the obvious 2 although Campbell is close

Post #421105  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:41 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
I really would have to put bobby in the top 3 , with the obvious 2 although Campbell is close

For me Pires is fourth.

Post #421106  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

For me Pires is fourth.

Plus I had a man crush on him :1laughter:

That sways it

Post #421107  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:05 pm 

Surely anelka has to be in the top 3 Wenger signings ? Spent 500k on him and sold him after winning the double for 23 million, then spent half that on a new training ground and the other half we bought Henry with.

Post #421108  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

As I said yesterday clearly not tactical

Another rumour is Özil was due to be dropped after his Bayern performance and pulled a sickie

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... are_btn_tw

Post #421109  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:17 pm 

It was an incredible bit of business TG. Fantastic player for us too. Just not as important as Henry, Vieira or Sol.
Loved Bob who would be 4th for me. And Overmars was a personal fave too!
Damn has Wenger gone already? Reminiscing about all these wonderful ex players :-)

Post #421110  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:32 pm 

Sabir wrote:
It was an incredible bit of business TG. Fantastic player for us too. Just not as important as Henry, Vieira or Sol.
Damn has Wenger gone already? Reminiscing about all these wonderful ex players :-)

Yeah I think if you were judging it on the player themselves those 3

My ten

1) Vieira (Wenger was mad to sell him btw)
2) Henry
3) Sol
4 ) Bobby
5) Anelka
6) Petit
7) overmars
8) Sylvinho (dodgy passport aside he was a great player and a real snip)
9) Lauren
10) Van Persie

Hard to include Sanchez or Özil because they were big money

Post #421111  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:37 pm 

Sanchez if off, we have to do two things, make sure he doesn't get sold to an English team (even if it's for less money) and secondly get a proper fee for him. I've heard talk of £25m which is an absolute joke. The problem as with our stars in the past is that once again we will not be in a position of strength. We should be asking for £40m minimum.

I do think his attitude has become a problem for the team, but it is all born from pure frustration at the lack of ambition. Sanchez is feeling exactly what the fans are feeling so everyone has sympathy with him

Post #421112  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sabir wrote:

My ten

2) Henry
3) Sol
4 ) Bobby
5) Anelka
6) Petit
7) overmars
9) Lauren
10) Van Persie

What about Fabregas. I know we love to hate him and he didn't win anything. But to bring over an unknown 15 year old kid and get him playing in Arsenal's central midfield at 17 and captaining and carrying the team at 21 was something special. If we include Anelka then we should include Fabregas

Post #421113  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:43 pm 

Özil pulling a sickie rumour is also being hinted at in newspaper articles tonight.

If we've reached the stage that our players are pulling sickies to avoid getting dropped then something is fundamentally broken at the club.

Post #421114  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

My ten

2) Henry
3) Sol
4 ) Bobby
5) Anelka
6) Petit
7) overmars
9) Lauren
10) Van Persie

What about Fabregas. I know we love to hate him and he didn't win anything. But to bring over an unknown 15 year old kid and get him playing in Arsenal's central midfield at 17 and captaining and carrying the team at 21 was something special. If we include Anelka then we should include Fabregas

I don't really consider him or Bellerin signings as such. Youth players more so

Post #421115  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:03 pm 

Reading that Alexis walked out of training in midweek after a disagreement with another player and the row continued in the dressing room.

In those circumstances Wenger probably had little option but to leave him on the bench.

Post #421116  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:12 pm 

socrates wrote:
Reading that Alexis walked out of training on Friday after a disagreement with another player and the row continued in the dressing room.

In those circumstances Wenger probably had little option but to leave him on the bench.

Yeah it orginated from the Mirror so thought probably bs but now it's been published on many other websites.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -liverpool

Sounds like Sanchez is doing Wenger's job for him, Wenger is a soft touch.

Post #421117  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm 

socrates wrote:
Reading that Alexis walked out of training in midweek after a disagreement with another player and the row continued in the dressing room.

Agree, there must be internal discipline no matter the player.

Every week there just seems to be a bit more revealed that shows how much of a mess we are in from top to bottom. You have to wonder who will fix it? Who in an authority position at the club do we have who has the passion for winning and the ability to fix us?

I think the fall out this summer will be massive, unless the board get some stability in the club quickly then we can write off next season. I also think the fall out will be bigger than Ferguson leaving Man U. Previously I thought Fergie left a poor squad, which he did, but the powers that be at Man U gave the managers money, they acted decisively (even if they made some wrong decisions) and it would be no surprise to see them right up there next season. It feels like the mess we are in is going to take us years to recover from.

Post #421118  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
Reading that Alexis walked out of training on Friday after a disagreement with another player and the row continued in the dressing room.

Yeah it orginated from the Mirror so thought probably bs but now it's been published on many other websites.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -liverpool

Sounds like Sanchez is doing Wenger's job for him, Wenger is a soft touch.

Sanchez for player manager :laughing7:

Post #421119  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 pm 

socrates wrote:
Morning all,

I thought Wenger looked haunted yesterday and it saddens me to see but it looks like he's lost the dressing room and the ability to motivate.

and greetings to you too .

His interview yesterday ..... "we had a bit more time off and weren't at the races "

Bu ... but ..but Arsene many times you've blamed defeat on a short span between matches tiredness etc etc ...but now this latest setback is because we had too much time off :icon_scratch:

Much is made of Sanchez's exclusion but that really is sad indictment of the club , that ONE player can effect team performance .

He hasn't lost the dressing room , he himself hasn't a clue what is wrong , as shown by his gobbledey gook positive interviews .

The sameness of the team performances , the sameness of the post match interviews , the same idiot tweets from players about lessons learned , surprised by intensity ....it's like being on life support you are still alive but all enjoyment has gone out the window .

Not counting v Southampton reserves ...... when is the last time you could say Arsenal played really well and were a joy to watch ...?

Post #421120  Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:44 pm 

Voila .... it's just hit me .... Arsene's quote "we weren't at the races "

..... he thought we were going to Aintree not Anfield ...... :15laughter:

[ 526023 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10525, 10526, 10527, 10528, 10529, 10530, 10531 ... 13151  Next