Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Post #348361  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:40 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The Coq/Elneny middle is more akin to the Vieira/Petit type..

Looked the most dynamic central midfield combo we have had for a while.

Post #348362  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:00 pm 

Is Anthony Koura the Sanogo v2?

Post #348363  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:10 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Is Anthony Koura the Sanogo v2?

According to one report, he is "is on the radar of several Premier League clubs", so looks like 'no' is the answer. Sanogo was on nothing but a postman's bike prior to Wenger's swoop.

Post #348364  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:20 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

If only we could cut that crap out we might be a force ... at least one sufficient to overcome spurs and Leicester.

The Proteas on the other hand seem more hopeless. They are constant proof that it is always possible to lose a game of cricket.

Bit of the feelgood evaporated in the second half we couldn't hold on to the ball for more than three seconds , maybe to be expected given our Spanish exertions .
Still think we need a big sucker in the middle of the park to swat away annoying bar flies .

Bit bewildered why we spurn so many opportunities to power into the box instead of the constant wide balls .

Giroud's goal should have stood Jaquelka tripped over someone and was holding Olivier to start with .

Yeah thought of you last night , your bowlers were quite wayward .. Have Steyn and Morkel retired ....?

Steyn was playing ... and got clobbered. Not his format and I fear he is past it. Not Morkels format.

I've warmed to the format. It is the 50 over game that tends to dullness.

Post #348365  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:44 pm 

Leicester keeps doing it. They may concede late but so far, are doing great. Won't begrudge them. We MUST finish ahead of Tottenham though. Glad Chelsea is losing. I guess a draw in the Manchester derby is the best outcome. Hate Man Utd though and although a City win hurts us, I revel in Man Utds demise.

Post #348366  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:18 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:
Clattenburg with the full set now. Perfectly ok goal chalked off. Giroud and jagielka tangle ars corner, jagielka runs and trips over another arsenal player, giroud heads in to the net and clattenburg gives the foul. It was nothing of the sort.

I suppose we just need an unfair red or yellow now

Jesus talk about whinging!

What do you suggest? We all send him our gratitude for being a cheating tow rag? How many of our games has he reffed, how many points has he cost us?

Post #348367  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:34 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Bit of the feelgood evaporated in the second half we couldn't hold on to the ball for more than three seconds , maybe to be expected given our Spanish exertions .
Still think we need a big sucker in the middle of the park to swat away annoying bar flies .

Bit bewildered why we spurn so many opportunities to power into the box instead of the constant wide balls .

Giroud's goal should have stood Jaquelka tripped over someone and was holding Olivier to start with .

Yeah thought of you last night , your bowlers were quite wayward .. Have Steyn and Morkel retired ....?

Steyn was playing ... and got clobbered. Not his format and I fear he is past it. Not Morkels format.

Agree. T20 is good fun and great for kids too. Chris Gayle is great to watch in the shorter form. I'd be happy just to have T20 for a laugh and Test for proper cricket now.

Post #348368  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:43 pm 

Darren wrote:
Niall wrote:
Bowie, yawn....

You bought a creative zen. To listen to Coldplay.

He was no Paddy Reilly. :icon_smile11:
I'm just wondering when Bowie is going to nominated for sainthood to be honest.

Post #348369  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:17 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Oh okay ..... can't say I paid a lot of attention was drifting in and out of consciousness .

Buggered my back and have savage case of sciatica , so been sleeping on the couch watching all sport from 8pm till 4am .

Over the hill I can understand but puzzled by the "not their format " .... surely if you can bowl well in a conventional Test why not in limited overs :icon_scratch: ...... takes them several overs to find their line ..?

Post #348370  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:25 pm 

John wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Well Clattenberg is consistently hopeless

It was bizarre. I can't remember a game where a ref gave

Hardly surprising ; given the state you get yourself in every Saturday night .... remembering your name I would have said was a step too far .

Post #348371  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:54 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
well & truly back to Kiwis favourite - tippy tappy

:laughing7: had a couple of bewildering " Okay we are near their penalty area let's pass it back over halfway " Gaz
... but in general that was pretty good .

Iwobi ... brilliant anticipation with a fair turn off pace . Will lift his confidence , I can see your mate Walcott handing in a transfer request .

Just let me know the clubs that are interested and I am happy to personally drive Theo around to meet prospective new employers.

Post #348372  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:44 am 

thofman wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: Let's not get ahead of ourselves here , he threw in at least three really wayward passes when we were in very promising positions , but I like his willingness to have a go , if he pushes Walcott into asking for a transfer I'll be happy .
Gees 4 am .. :brushteeth:

Walcott ask for a transfer? You really think Theo will voluntarily make a career choice that reduces his salary to a fraction of what he's currently paid?

Yes I do ... an extended period on the bench / not even make the squad his vanity would push him to request a transfer .

More's the pity I'd have my doubts Arsene [ being slightly wet in the sprucing up the squad department ] would accept it .

I think a move would be a win all round , we'd get 15/20 mill , we'd free up a spot for a decent striker and I think Walcott himself would improve if another team played to his strengths .

Out of his comfort zone he'd feel compelled to produce something .

Liverpool I reckon would be his best destination , of course Arsene would be terrified of improving a rival

Post #348373  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:30 am 

Gunfire wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
The Coq/Elneny middle is more akin to the Vieira/Petit type..

Looked the most dynamic central midfield combo we have had for a while.

That's true ; but putting them in the same category as Petit and Vieira [ probably the best Premier League midfield duo ever ] is a quantum leap of faith .

Post #348374  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:42 am 

Pleased for El nenny and iWobi, they have been superb and deserve their places in the team but what does it say about certain members of our team who have been with us a while.

In particular where does this leave Ramsey, ox and Walcott because I wouldn't pick any of them ahead of the new boys at the moment. Walcott in particular in now 3rd choice striker and 3rd or 4th choice on the right flank. He's going to get very little game time before the euros

Post #348375  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:39 am 

kiwipete wrote:
That's true ; but putting them in the same category as Petit and Vieira [ probably the best Premier League midfield duo ever ] is a quantum leap of faith .

I thought that myself pete. American qualified his comparison by saying they do a similar job to Petit and Vieira albeit not as well. Was this was the second game they've started together? First time in the league and at Barcelona, or have I forgotten a cup game (Watford)? Blimey, to me it seems a bit quick of the mark to say something like that so soon. Strikes me as a bit like saying after two starts when he played in what's often called the number 10 role that David Bentley did a similar function to Dennis Bergkamp, just not as well. I suppose not as well is an imprecise term that could mean something along the lines of 'just short' at one end or 'way short' at the the other. For me, at this moment in time they have to be seen as a million miles short of Petit and Vieira who, as you imply, are certainly Arsenal's best central midfield pairing ever and I'd agree are probably the best Premiership pairing ever.

Post #348376  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:28 am 

I don't think anyone would say Elneny and welbeck are world class or even have the potential to be world class BUT, they are doing the types of things we've all wanted from a central mid and striker, and the team looks much better for it. Obviously it's early days but yesterday's performance was a mile away from the dross that has been served up so far this season.

Post #348377  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:22 am 

Rich wrote:
I don't think anyone would say Elneny and welbeck are world class or even have the potential to be world class BUT, they are doing the types of things we've all wanted from a central mid and striker, and the team looks much better for it. Obviously it's early days but yesterday's performance was a mile away from the dross that has been served up so far this season.

I think Welbeck's all round game is very strong. I noticed lomekian said yesterday he has his limitations. That's true for any player. Messi can't tackle like Adams, Bobby Moore didn't have the pace of Henry, and I'm sure such examples could be made for any world great you can think of. But Welbeck has a good level of technical ability in terms of ball control and passing, he's more than decent in the air as we've seen with his goals against Leicester and Manchester United, he's a big strong bloke with physical presence which I like in players, he's very quick and has an extraordinary work rate.

I suspect people will routinely claim his main limitation is an ordinary goal scoring record. But I might have mentioned before that when he first joined Arsenal I read a report that broke his goal scoring at Manchester United (overall a disappointing one in four or thereabouts, if I remember correctly) down into when he played centrally and when he played wide for them. Wide, his goal scoring record at United was very poor indeed but when he played centrally it wasn't bad at all. I honestly suspect exactly the same thing applies to his goal scoring record at Arsenal.

Welbeck's probably not yet as fit as normal in terms of stamina after such a long injury lay off, which he seemed to imply himself in his post match interview shown on MOTD last night. But when he is I think, from the current options, he should be Arsenal's first choice striker unless we buy someone absolutely unbelievable this summer, which I doubt we will.

Post #348378  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:01 am 

I still got a strange feeling we will win the rest of the matches and possibly still not end up with the title. Too little, too late. Or squeak it out and everyone non Arsenal upset we beat Leicester to the title.

Post #348379  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:05 am 

Rich wrote:

Teamwork and every man doing his job and fighting for his teammate is the most important thing. Leicester, West Ham and Tottenham show that you don't need world class players, just world class effort.
Chelsea, City and Man Utd have infinitely better players. The Romford Pele wasn't close to being world class but I recall in the 2003 season he filled in anywhere we needed and at times carried us. Wiltord and Freddie were good but not world class but did their job.

Post #348380  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:17 pm 

Well that was about the best league performance over 90 minutes this season for me. The whole team were on it from the off. Lovely football for the first goal and also for the second goal with a quick counter.

Team looked focused, got in amongst Everton and stopped them playing and earned the right to play themselves. I'm not with the commentary that suggested Everton we not playing well, they were not allowed to. We did to them what we did to City last season and a lot of teams do to us, which is we countered them and played accordingly to get points.

Iwobi looked very lively and has some skill on the ball. Danny is looking fresh as his season has just started. I thought the team were MOTM today. Elneny and Coquelin worked well.

How a played can get fouled not once, but twice in the area and still not get a penalty I find strange, in fact Clatternberg's whole performance was strange.

Lots of good passing today and some of the quick stuff we are used to. Now they need to keep it up for eight more games and not get out spirits up only to mess it up next game at home to Watford. The fighting spirit was also evident.

As for the banner at the end, so long as they show it after the match I have no issue. They bothered to travel to Liverpool, supported and got behind the team for ninety minutes. They could get behind the team today, I couldn't as I was sitting at home watching on the TV, so well played the 3000 who travelled inc the banner boys. I defend anyone's right to make their point, pro or anti Arsene.

I've seen people say it spoils the result, well only of you let it spoil it for you. I'm a happy Gooner today, because we actually performed for the best part of ninety minutes and got the results needed.

Post #348381  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:55 pm 

Northbank Memories wrote:
How a played can get fouled not once, but twice in the area and still not get a penalty I find strange, in fact Clatternberg's whole performance was strange.

I consider Clattenberg as currently England's best referee. As you say it was a strange performance by him, but in his defence I'll suggest it was also an unusual one. Čech was very poor in the first game against West Ham when he basically handed them their two goals on a plate, and was weak with one of Swansea's goals at the Emirates. But other than that I think he's been exceptional for pretty well the whole season. Hence I see him as a great keeper, and the odd bad game or mistake here and there doesn't change that. In the same way I'm just going to see Clattenberg as having a bad day at the office yesterday, which isn't enough to stop me rating him highly. Fortunately it didn't stop us from getting the three points.

Post #348382  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I consider Clattenberg as currently England's best referee. As you say it was a strange performance by him, but in his defence I'll suggest it was also an unusual one. Čech was very poor in the first game against West Ham when he basically handed them their two goals on a plate, and was weak with one of Swansea's goals at the Emirates. But other than that I think he's been exceptional for pretty well the whole season. Hence I see him as a great keeper, and the odd bad game or mistake here and there doesn't change that. In the same way I'm just going to see Clattenberg as having a bad day at the office yesterday, which isn't enough to stop me rating him highly. Fortunately it didn't stop us from getting the three points.

I'd agree, Clattenburg is defintely one of our best refs. I'd say the young lad Michael Oliver is a very good ref as well. They can have bad days but they show an understanding of the game and in general don't appear to be swayed by crowds, certain players etc. I'd be happy enough to have Clattenburg ref most of our games irrespetive of the two blunders I thought he made yesterday with the non pen and ruling out Giroud's goal

Post #348383  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:18 pm 

Wenger deserves credit for his handling of Welbeck since his return from injury.

Post #348384  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:20 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Oh okay ..... can't say I paid a lot of attention was drifting in and out of consciousness .

Buggered my back and have savage case of sciatica , so been sleeping on the couch watching all sport from 8pm till 4am .

Over the hill I can understand but puzzled by the "not their format " .... surely if you can bowl well in a conventional Test why not in limited overs :icon_scratch: ...... takes them several overs to find their line ..?

I could be wrong for me it makes more sense to play lots of spinners in this game.

Post #348385  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:39 pm 

As for the banner at the end, so long as they show it after the match I have no issue. They bothered to travel to Liverpool, supported and got behind the team for ninety minutes. They could get behind the team today, I couldn't as I was sitting at home watching on the TV, so well played the 3000 who travelled inc the banner boys. I defend anyone's right to make their point, pro or anti Arsene.

I've seen people say it spoils the result, well only of you let it spoil it for you. .

What do you make of the media reaction to the banners H?

There generally seems to be a sneering towards "naive Arsenal fans" especially from Jake Humphries. You have the ex players who played under arsene being unable to criticise him and tend to sit on the fence saying the banners are a disgrace apart from largely merse and petit.

This isn't a knee jerk decision from our fans. It's took us 11 years to reach this level of mistrust and voice our opinion.

Post #348386  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:03 pm 

Rich wrote:
Wenger deserves credit for his handling of Welbeck since his return from injury.

Rich, how dare you compliment Wenger! Warrior, a banning and public flogging is in order!!!

Post #348387  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:18 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Rich, how dare you compliment Wenger! Warrior, a banning and public flogging is in order!!!

Haha. Well I've been one his biggest critics this season, and nothing he does for the rest of the season will convince me he's the right man to take us forward now....but, just because we don't rate a player or manager shouldn't mean that we can't praise them when they do do well.

Similar to giroud, the guy has his place in our squad and we have played very well with him in the team but for us to really kick on we need a more mobile and clinical striker as our No.1 striker

Post #348388  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:20 pm 

Oooh, Liverpool 2-0 up at half time now they are 3-2 down to Southampton. Klopp is escaping too much criticism at the moment but his results are no better than Rodgers.

Wanyama coming on at half time has completely changed the game

Post #348389  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:04 pm 

Rich wrote:
Oooh, Liverpool 2-0 up at half time now they are 3-2 down to Southampton. Klopp is escaping too much criticism at the moment but his results are no better than Rodgers.

Wanyama coming on at half time has completely changed the game

He's beaten Man Utd so all is forgiven in the red half of Liverpool. The Kop for Klopp.

Post #348390  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:23 pm 

When we play city at the end of this season can they please please have demichelis and not kompany in defence. His attempt to stop rashford then has to go down as one of the worst 1 on 1 pieces of defending I've seen all season

Post #348391  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I've seen people say it spoils the result, well only of you let it spoil it for you. .

There generally seems to be a sneering towards "naive Arsenal fans" especially from Jake Humphries. You have the ex players who played under arsene being unable to criticise him and tend to sit on the fence saying the banners are a disgrace apart from largely merse and petit.

This isn't a knee jerk decision from our fans. It's took us 11 years to reach this level of mistrust and voice our opinion.

I saw this the other day.

Attachment:

Post #348392  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:35 pm 

Rich wrote:
When we play city at the end of this season can they please please have demichelis and not kompany in defence. His attempt to stop rashford then has to go down as one of the worst 1 on 1 pieces of defending I've seen all season

Kompany is injured again. Same type of injury has been plaguing his career. So you may get your wish.

Post #348393  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I saw this the other day.

Attachment:
Telegraph report.jpg

Yes that's pretty much an accurate summary of the current situation.

I can't imagine reaching the stage where i was so furiously against any criticism arsene is getting I'd try and fight one of our own fans carrying banners.... And then the footage being shown on Bt sport so all your friends could see :laughing7:

If ever you needed an example wengers lost it have a look again at first Watford goal the other week...

http://youtu.be/mcq7U_Uzv_A

..... There's 6 of our players in our own box contending with 2 of theirs. How the *%^@ can they score !!! Seriously surely the maths are stacked against them. I think it's the worst piece of defending I've ever seen from an Arsenal team bar none. You can forgive individual errors but this is systematic and wenger simply can't sort out the defence. Somewhere George graham is crying into his brown paper bag. Until arsene leaves we are just going nowhere

Post #348394  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:36 pm 

You'd expect Tottenham to beat Bournemouth at home, but they're pretty damn relentless in winning the games they should regardless of the occasional mishap. Thank heavens Leicester pulled off a great win at Palace yesterday because if they don't win it, I can't see beyond Tottenham as the title winner.

Post #348395  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'd agree, Clattenburg is defintely one of our best refs. I'd say the young lad Michael Oliver is a very good ref as well. They can have bad days but they show an understanding of the game and in general don't appear to be swayed by crowds, certain players etc. I'd be happy enough to have Clattenburg ref most of our games irrespetive of the two blunders I thought he made yesterday with the non pen and ruling out Giroud's goal

I agree that Oliver is very good. I'd put him in second place to Clattenberg as the top referees in the country.

Post #348396  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:55 pm 

Next EPL games give us the opportunity to actually catch Leicester & Spurs. Leicester have Southampton and Liverpool play Spurs. Both could possibly drop points.

Post #348397  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:20 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Next EPL games give us the opportunity to actually catch Leicester & Spurs. Leicester have Southampton and Liverpool play Spurs. Both could possibly drop points.

Tottenham have some tough games in the next few weeks. I expect Liverpool to beat them and we will see how they respond.

It has been a ridiculous season. The Manchester derby was indicative of how poor the big teams have been. Awful stuff.

Post #348398  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:40 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree that Oliver is very good. I'd put him in second place to Clattenberg as the top referees in the country.

Agree on the whole. Clattenberg definitely drops a clanger every now and then, but both seem at least fairly impartial for the most part, and as has been said, both at least seem to have a vague understanding of football, which seems beyond 2 or 3 of the others...

Post #348399  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

We have Watford at home, we are *%^@**

Post #348400  Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:28 am 

Goonie wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: Let's not get ahead of ourselves here , he threw in at least three really wayward passes when we were in very promising positions , but I like his willingness to have a go , if he pushes Walcott into asking for a transfer I'll be happy .
Gees 4 am .. :brushteeth:

I'm already thinking of adapting this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv9CIFm6uUI) for him... :1laughter:

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: call me thick ; but what has a tune for the Singaporean under 5's got to do with Iwobi

[ 466822 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8707, 8708, 8709, 8710, 8711, 8712, 8713 ... 11671  Next