Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, mcquilkie and 254 guests

Post #368001  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Martin Keown says only three Arsenal players would get in a combined team with Tottenham. Sanchez, Koscielny and Monreal.

At the moment, that's about right. If Özil got back to his best, he would be in too. We have more strength in depth but they have the better first eleven.

I thought Özil had a fine game against Manchester United, as did Xhaka. So maybe Özil might get back to his best, ideally in the cup final?

Post #368002  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
At the moment, that's about right. If Özil got back to his best, he would be in too. We have more strength in depth but they have the better first eleven.

I thought Özil had a fine game against Manchester United, as did Xhaka. So maybe Özil might get back to his best, ideally in the cup final?

I thought Özil played well against United, particularly in the second half when he held onto the ball well and barely missed a pass. He is still some way from his best though. It's hard to know what to take from Sunday's game because United were awful and just sat deep putting no pressure on our midfield. The next couple of games might give us a better indication of where we are at.

Post #368003  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 am 

Wenger on a Director of Football. We should not decide the structure of an organisation. I await Hoy's (Sir Chips) enlightened views to set us on the straight and narrow. IMO he is trying to keep the status quo and in doing so if the the club insist on structural changes it will give him some justification as to why he will not sign a contract. He believes he is bigger than the club. It is now May - what happened to March April.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ ... 95269.html

Post #368004  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 am 

This is interesting.

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/05/wenger ... ce=twitter

Gazidis has an angle now if he wishes to use it. Appoint a DOF and arsene is gone.

Post #368005  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:25 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
It is now May - what happened to March-April.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ ... 95269.html

I think there's a very simple explanation as to why he hasn't announced as he suggested. I think he thought the results would pick up and it would be an easier atmosphere to announce that he's staying. Obviously results have still been very up and down so the environment is not right.

Post #368006  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 am 

Read that Mourinho is planning buy Aguero. Hmmm....possible game changer there.

Post #368007  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:29 am 

Been looking at videos of classic players. Denis Law is pretty good. :icon_mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGsqQvJ_xo

Post #368008  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:18 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Why would City sell him to their main rivals...unless Maureen is prepared to spunk over £100m I think that rumour is nonsense.

Post #368009  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:33 pm 

Much as I think OMOH is venturing into territory that is best left to others, his stance is (in a roundabout way) strengthened by Wenger categorically stating what we all knew, and certainly reflects the rumour mill...

It seems that the manager renewing or not is a lot more down to an internal power battle between him and Gazidis, with the latter wanting to update the club's modus operandi to an appropriate post-Wenger model, where the club's long term vision is more important to the preferences of an individual manager, and quite understandably (from his own perspective) Wenger is totally unwilling to give up any power in order to embrace a system that contradicts his entire managerial experience to date.

As such, unless Wenger had pulled out the kind of season to make his position utterly impregnable, it seems that results are not the primary consideration.

Which renders any current argument about losing games as good for the club's long term future as fatuous as it sounds in principle.

But then, I tend to think that anyone wanting the team it lose is missing the point. If you want the team not to win to be rid of the manager, surely that desire to be rid of him should be softened when the team performs well? Anyway, in this case, it's increasingly apparent that results (unless title winning or absolutely disastrous, neither of which is likely with our squad at present) are not the primary deciding factor at this point.

Which, in a way, is no bad thing

Post #368010  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:02 pm 

lomekian wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Why would City sell him to their main rivals...unless Maureen is prepared to spunk over £100m I think that rumour is nonsense.

Maybe the silly season has started early. Who knows...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... o-arsenal/

Post #368011  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:21 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Much as I think OMOH is venturing into territory that is best left to others, his stance is (in a roundabout way) strengthened by Wenger categorically stating what we all knew, and certainly reflects the rumour mill...

It seems that the manager renewing or not is a lot more down to an internal power battle between him and Gazidis, with the latter wanting to update the club's modus operandi to an appropriate post-Wenger model, where the club's long term vision is more important to the preferences of an individual manager, and quite understandably (from his own perspective) Wenger is totally unwilling to give up any power in order to embrace a system that contradicts his entire managerial experience to date.

As such, unless Wenger had pulled out the kind of season to make his position utterly impregnable, it seems that results are not the primary consideration.

Which renders any current argument about losing games as good for the club's long term future as fatuous as it sounds in principle.

But then, I tend to think that anyone wanting the team it lose is missing the point. If you want the team not to win to be rid of the manager, surely that desire to be rid of him should be softened when the team performs well? Anyway, in this case, it's increasingly apparent that results (unless title winning or absolutely disastrous, neither of which is likely with our squad at present) are not the primary deciding factor at this point.

Which, in a way, is no bad thing

I think you're possibly underestimating the importance of Champions League qualification to Kroenke. Look at it this way. There is pretty good evidence that there is a boardroom split over Wenger, with some directors (including Gazidis) wanting him out and others more willing to see him continue (crucially at this point including Stan). If that is the case, and I believe it is as I've been told by a source I consider reliable which directors are on each side of that particular fence, I would suggest that changing Stan Kroenke's mind is vitally important because it is he that owns two-thirds of the shares and it is therefore him who to all intents and purposes owns, or at least controls, the club.

If Arsenal somehow get into the top four, I would expect Stan to simply tell those directors on the Wenger out side of the fence to politely sod off. Not get rid of them as I'm hearing his son Josh, who is also a director, doesn't share his father's enthusiasm for Wenger. But with Stan being so concerned with the money making side of Arsenal, it is perfectly feasible that missing out on the £30-40m (whatever it is now) will greatly trouble him. So much so, not getting into next year's Champions League could easily persuade Stan that the directors wanting Wenger out may have an extremely valid point after all. Therefore, for those who see Wenger's departure as beneficial for the long-term future of the club and with missing out on Champions League qualification making that far more likely because of Stan's fondness for money, I can see the sense in them wanting Arsenal to drop enough points to ensure missing out on a top four place. I certainly wouldn't call it 'fatuous'. Perhaps I'm being unfair but calling it that makes you sound almost as snooty and sneering as hoy, and I think that takes some doing as I sometimes get the impression that hoy must have a Nobel Prize in sneering and snootiness.

Post #368012  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I was celebrating Arsenal's goals yesterday. I was especially thrilled and delighted to see Welbeck score against them again. I've always liked him scoring against them because he used to play for them, comes from the area, and supported them as a kid. So if I'm an Arsenal-to-lose fan (as you called me), why did I want Arsenal to win?

However, my general point is that I think true fans should care about the future of the club. Many feel that future is best served by Wenger leaving this summer, as I do. If those who feel Wenger going is best for Arsenal AND feel losing some games might directly contribute to that, I don't think you have any right to snootily sneer at those fans who want Arsenal to lose some games for what they see as the greater good. The future health of the club is surely more important than losing a few games this season, after all. You may disagree that Wenger leaving would benefit Arsenal. But many feel it would. Regarding those who believe losing makes that more likely, then I can't moan about them wanting Arsenal to lose, if they do for that reason.
Sounds like you're conflicted? Perhaps the best solution for you is to want Arsenal to win and also want Arsene to go? Pretty simple really. Not sure why folks have complicated things by wanting Arsenal to lose. To describe somebody who wants us to win as 'snooty' is very strange.

Post #368013  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:38 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
You haven't noticed anybody posting on the forum hoping Arsenal will lose? I have, and as promised, I will drone on, and on, and on, and on about it for a good while yet. I think the debate about Arsene staying or not is something completely different than wanting your team to lose.

'Oh Danny Boy, the net, the net was bursting...'

Thanks for the reminder Hoy. The other day you accused me of being one of the fans who wanted Arsenal to lose. I pointed out I had no memory of making such a claim and asked for an apology - I await the apology.

A bit like Wenger you make sweeping statements that are plain silly. Perhaps while you are on you can also point out why Wenger told the fans earlier in the year he would make a decision by March or April. That is now a blatant untruth.

Why would people want to renew season tickets if they don't know who will be the manager.
I must have missed that, so apologies to you. On season tickets people surely renew them because they support the club rather than individual players or managers? If our bloke was 'killing' Arsenal, as is variously alleged, or was fighting relegation, or was some sort of criminal, I could see why he might be an issue. But that isn't the case. Perspective seems to have been lost somewhat.

Post #368014  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:39 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Went to Chelsea boro tonight as part of a working commitment

Fabregas had a great game and spent the 90 spraying passes all over the place with his instep.

Couldn't help but think we were mad not to re sign him. He's twice the player Özil is in the premiership

We didn't re sign him because of a certain manager, who is still around believing he knows
But a certain manager did sign him.

Post #368015  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:41 pm 

It might help, Hoy, if you ever read and considered what people say before reaching for the default weapons of condescension and whimsy?

It's been explained a thousand times.

With regard to Lom's point earlier I don't think it is quite so simple. For many years we appear to be locked in a cycle. Part of that cycle involves CL qualification and occasional FA cup success. It is a legitimate position in principle and not fatuous at all to accept sacrificing those to break the cycle which can only happen if Wenger leaves (I don't say this is necessarily correct just that it is legitimate to hold this view and be a passionate supporter of the club in general). Most struggle with this in practice and are naturally going to go wild in the stadium and love beating Man U. They certainly don't need some sanctimonious old nag wagging his finger and telling them they're not real fans especially when they invest considerably more in their support than he obviously does.

Post #368016  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:47 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Much as I think OMOH is venturing into territory that is best left to others...
I am a bit confused by that Lom. What subject of debate is a no-go area for anybody on this forum? Do I need a pass to get in? Sorry if I am missing the point, but I am!

Post #368017  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:50 pm 

Daz wrote:
It might help, Hoy, if you ever read and considered what people say before reaching for the default weapons of condescension and whimsy?

With regard to Loms point earlier I don't think it is quite so simple. For many years we appear to be locked in a cycle. Part of that cycle involves CL qualification and occasional FA cup success. It is a legitimate position in principle and not fatuous at all to accept sacrificing those to break the cycle. Most struggle with this in practice naturally and don't need some old nag wagging his finger and telling them they're not real fans especially when they invest considerably more in their support than he obviously does.
That was a short break!

Post #368018  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:55 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

With regard to Loms point earlier I don't think it is quite so simple. For many years we appear to be locked in a cycle. Part of that cycle involves CL qualification and occasional FA cup success. It is a legitimate position in principle and not fatuous at all to accept sacrificing those to break the cycle. Most struggle with this in practice naturally and don't need some old nag wagging his finger and telling them they're not real fans especially when they invest considerably more in their support than he obviously does.
That was a short break!

Yeah I took expert opinion and changed my mind.

Post #368019  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:56 pm 

Delighted Wenger didn't sign Fabregas again. He can spray around as many passes as he likes - once in a while - he's still a snidey little *%^@.

Post #368020  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:59 pm 

Although if you're just gonna do the whole "I never want Arsenal to lose and I am going to go on about it in a slightly affected contrarian way while not listening to what anybody says to me on the subject" we won't get very far and I might well still decide the season is over so your luck may well still be in on that score...

Post #368021  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:00 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
That was a short break!

Nah, you just like a ruck with a dose of personal smearing so you can get a reaction. Better than doing the garden I suppose.

Post #368022  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:05 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

Nah, you just like a ruck with a dose of personal smearing so you can get a reaction.

While you meanwhile - gentle old nosetweaker that you are - just stroll amiably on here after every game to dish out your own peculiar variety of whimsical insults wrapped in half-truths because you're bored of doing your garden?

Post #368023  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:07 pm 

Daz wrote:
Although if you're just gonna do the whole "I never want Arsenal to lose and I am going to go on about it in a slightly affected contrarian way while not listening to what anybody says to me on the subject" we won't get very far and I might well still decide the season is over so your luck may well still be in on that score...
As an accurate reader of the forum you will have noticed that my voice (plums 'n all) is a minority one when it comes to that old devil called Arsene. As the magnificent democrat you are, I would expect you to cherish diversity of opinion and my right to say what the *%^@ I like about any subject that is debated, especially the inanity of wanting our team to lose.

Post #368024  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:08 pm 

I mean let's be honest I'm not the one hectoring all and sundry about how they're not matching your high standards of loyalty while lying about what they've actually said?

Post #368025  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:09 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:
As an accurate reader of the forum you will have noticed that my voice (plums 'n all) is a minority one when it comes to that old devil called Arsene. As the magnificent democrat you are, I would expect you to cherish diversity of opinion and my right to say what the *%^@ I like about any subject that is debated, especially the inanity of wanting our team to lose.

I certainly am. I think it is an entirely legitimate opinion which I have said on many occasions. You are quite wrong in your assessment of my motives - I just happen to believe you are being dishonest and meretricious in your attacks on others who hold a different one to yours.

Post #368026  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 pm 

Because people don't "want our team to lose". Those are the words you have put into their mouths. It has been explained to you over and over again. The most extreme view is probably mine - that if I thought losing to Chelsea in the cup final WOULD get rid of Wenger I would take it. In theory. But I would almost certainly change it were I at Wembley because seeing your team lose is hard and painful. But you prefer - for whatever reason - to cling to the strawman you have constructed and just keep sneering which is a side of you that actually I quite rarely see.

Post #368027  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:15 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Nah, you just like a ruck with a dose of personal smearing so you can get a reaction.

While you meanwhile - gentle old nosetweaker that you are - just stroll amiably on here after every game to dish out your own peculiar variety of whimsical insults wrapped in half-truths because you're bored of doing your garden?
Garden is sorted. Fish fed. Garage painted. Food cooked. And still there is time to pull the plonkers of the bizarre Arsenal-to-lose 'fans'. Who it seems cannot accept even a small dose of medicine.

Post #368028  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:16 pm 

Daz wrote:
I mean let's be honest I'm not the one hectoring all and sundry about how they're not matching your high standards of loyalty while lying about what they've actually said?
'Liar, liar, pants on fire!'

Post #368029  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:26 pm 

Daz wrote:
Because people don't "want our team to lose". Those are the words you have put into their mouths. It has been explained to you over and over again. The most extreme view is probably mine - that if I thought losing to Chelsea in the cup final WOULD get rid of Wenger I would take it. In theory. But I would almost certainly change it were I at Wembley because seeing your team lose is hard and painful. But you prefer - for whatever reason - to cling to the strawman you have constructed and just keep sneering which is a side of you that actually I quite rarely see.
No, they want Arsenal to lose, as part of the whatever-it-takes to get rid of Arsene Wenger operation, and they have said so repeatedly. That is no invention, and no amount of explanation to the contrary will uninvent it. As for sneering comments, you have seen no other examples of it, for instance when alluding to our manager, Beelzebub Wenger? For every so-called sneer or snoot I commit, you will find ten times the number from other posters. Go flay them, O Great Explainer.

Post #368030  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:27 pm 

:icon_mrgreen:

Post #368031  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:32 pm 

In fairness you set out your stall to be irritating and you have succeeded so well done on that. I am not a massive one for ignoring and blocking so will probably continue to respond from time to time. And you can continue to push your schtick of mild-mannered whimsy which I have never really been fooled by for a moment.

Moving it on from me, I've had plenty of rucks with Bernard over the past and had every reason to correct him on everything from economics to epistemology. I think he would be the first to admit that he's learned from it. But one thing I genuinely wouldn't do is put inverted commas around fan because it's obvious he's a genuine obsessive about the club. He certainly continues to invest much more time than me and far more time than you in following us home and away. He is right that there is a boardroom split, he is right that the usual Wenger successes wills strengthen his supporters at board level and there is nothing inane or fatuous in not wanting that to happen for the long term good of the club. You may agree or disagree - I am certainly closer to him than you given the nature of what has been happening at the club - but it is not inane, fatuous, treacherous or any of the other adjectives you might deploy while deciding to take every common metaphor literally.

So you've got some chutzpah to come around giving it the big 'un about who is in need of their plonker being pulled really.

Post #368032  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:36 pm 

Daz wrote:
In fairness you set out your stall to be irritating and you have succeeded so well done on that. I am not a massive one for ignoring and blocking so will probably continue to respond from time to time. And you can continue to push your schtick of mild-mannered whimsy which I have never really been fooled by for a moment.

Moving it on from me, I've had plenty of rucks with Bernard over the past and had every reason to correct him on everything from economics to epistemology. I think he would be the first to admit that he's learned from it. But one thing I genuinely wouldn't do is put inverted commas around fan because it's obvious he's a genuine obsessive about the club. He certainly continues to invest much more time than me and far more time than you in following us home and away. He is right that there is a boardroom split, he is right that the usual Wenger successes wills strengthen his supporters at board level and there is nothing inane or fatuous in not wanting that to happen for the long term good of the club. You may agree or disagree - I am certainly closer to him than you given the nature of what has been happening at the club - but it is not inane, fatuous, treacherous or any of the other adjectives you might deploy while deciding to take every common metaphor literally.

So you've got some chutzpah to come around giving it the big 'un about who is in need of their plonker being pulled really.
There you go again with those sneaky little inaccuracies - I have not talked of treachery or fatuousness. And you tell me I don't read what is in front of me! Anyway, I have called it inane to want Arsenal to lose, because as a way of changing the management of the team (which is the whatever-it-takes rationale) it certainly makes little sense at this time. We are going to finish in the top six and will have European football next season. There is a chance we may win the FA Cup. That may not please all Arsenal fans, but if that is failure, it is only a relative one. I imagine that in the eyes of those who run the club, they may think it is still worth backing a man who has delivered for them for over twenty years. Lom made the point that the loss of significant ECL broadcasting revenue for next season could change opinion on the board, but Arsene out is not going to change that for 2017/18. It wouldn't be a shock if the board retained him as the man to get the team back in the ECL as he has quite a good track record of doing so.

On correcting Bernard, how did that go?

Post #368033  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
There you go again with those sneaky little inaccuracies - I have not talked of treachery or fatuousness. And you tell me I don't read what is in front of me!

There you go again sweating the small stuff. The word fatuous was in fact used by Lom just now and you have certainly questioned the loyalty of several around here and put inverted commas around fans as well as calling them inane or announcing they know little about football (I am happy to forgo your 'knowledge' which tends to consist largely of listing). I was simply making the point that none of these adjectives were appropriate. You meanwhile have committed the far more egregious sin (it's not really a sin don't worry I am speaking figuratively) of simply ignoring people who try and protest that they have not said what you claim. Does you little credit.

But at least you are now trying a substantive argument. And mostly it is rubbish. There is a crisis in our club. This is not a crisis relative to Villa or Dartford as we have said time and time again, it is a crisis relative to where this club has gone, is going, should be going and where we were told it would be going. A manager who has been at the club for twenty years simply will not recognise that his time has come around and endangers the club in doing so. People are losing interest and drifting away. My own kid who wept bitter tears only recently when we lost now shakes his head with indifference. Fans fight in the stadium. Seats are empty. There IS a problem. So I find it sad and worrying the direction in which we are going and I think we urgently need change. Now try once again and marshall the small cognitive function that it takes to get this relatively simple point. I can see a situation where Wenger winning stuff is bad in the long term for the club if it encourages three more years of what we have had over the last several - I don't actually think that is even feasible without really massive problems. I can understand people who would prefer to lose now to hopefully avoid more 10/2 drubbings against Bayern. So can thousands of others. It isn't a very controversial logical position. There are even a range of metaphors and cliches to cover it. Battles and wars etc. But also, surprise surprise, most people who say this in their frustration may not really want it to happen or might go mad in the stadium when Welbeck scores just as I did (at around the same time as you were tucking into your bread pudding).

I know you look askance at the opinions of others while I often find them quite interesting but the media (put on your tin foil hat) of every type from symapthetic bloggers to sympathetic journalists have discussed this and it is a major sporting story. Your preference for sticking your fingers in your ears and affecting a breezy nonchalance about it all while being decidedly snooty about anybody who disagrees with you or discusses it is a bit of a pain in the hole. You say I just do this because I like a ruck with a personal smear but actually it's far more simple. I think you are being quite often wilfully stupid and often very dishonest about this and I don't have the necessary gravitas to just shake my head and let it go yet.

Post #368034  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I think you're possibly underestimating the importance of Champions League qualification to Kroenke. Look at it this way. There is pretty good evidence that there is a boardroom split over Wenger, with some directors (including Gazidis) wanting him out and others more willing to see him continue (crucially at this point including Stan). If that is the case, and I believe it is as I've been told by a source I consider reliable which directors are on each side of that particular fence, I would suggest that changing Stan Kroenke's mind is vitally important because it is he that owns two-thirds of the shares and it is therefore him who to all intents and purposes owns, or at least controls, the club.

If Arsenal somehow get into the top four, I would expect Stan to simply tell those directors on the Wenger out side of the fence to politely sod off. Not get rid of them as I'm hearing his son Josh, who is also a director, doesn't share his father's enthusiasm for Wenger. But with Stan being so concerned with the money making side of Arsenal, it is perfectly feasible that missing out on the £30-40m (whatever it is now) will greatly trouble him. So much so, not getting into next year's Champions League could easily persuade Stan that the directors wanting Wenger out may have an extremely valid point after all. Therefore, for those who see Wenger's departure as beneficial for the long-term future of the club and with missing out on Champions League qualification making that far more likely because of Stan's fondness for money, I can see the sense in them wanting Arsenal to drop enough points to ensure missing out on a top four place. I certainly wouldn't call it 'fatuous'. Perhaps I'm being unfair but calling it that makes you sound almost as snooty and sneering as hoy, and I think that takes some doing as I sometimes get the impression that hoy must have a Nobel Prize in sneering and snootiness.

Perhaps, but if the other directors want to introduce a more 21st century structure and Stan tells them they can't simply in order to keep Wenger happy, whilst being content with undermining those closest to him in official status, then its going to take more than 1 year's absence from the top four for him to show Wenger the door.

I also think its very unlikely we'll make top four seeing as it would require us to win all our remaining fixtures and for others to slip up...

Post #368035  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:23 pm 

also returning briefly to the point Lom made about results improving.

It's a tricky one because I have pondered it. Surely if we get CL qualification and a cup final that is enough to justify the opposite of wanting him out.

In my case no because it is not about trophies per se but the general direction of the club, the type of football we play and the impact of the players we do sign. I no longer trust Wenger on any of these things and like many have found the years of always folding when it matters and failing to challenge the big clubs in any meaningful way to be deeply frustrating. I don't think he can change it and we will go back to more of the same.

He's been here 20 years. It's time to go.

Post #368036  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:32 pm 

Daz wrote:

With regard to Lom's point earlier I don't think it is quite so simple. For many years we appear to be locked in a cycle. Part of that cycle involves CL qualification and occasional FA cup success. It is a legitimate position in principle and not fatuous at all to accept sacrificing those to break the cycle which can only happen if Wenger leaves (I don't say this is necessarily correct just that it is legitimate to hold this view and be a passionate supporter of the club in general). Most struggle with this in practice and are naturally going to go wild in the stadium and love beating Man U. They certainly don't need some sanctimonious old nag wagging his finger and telling them they're not real fans especially when they invest considerably more in their support than he obviously does.

On the later point, I think anyone telling anyone else how to be a 'real' fan (and lets face it, its been all over both sides of this argument, on this forum and elsewhere) needs to reconsider their priorities. As an activity that fundamentally serves no purpose than for one's own interest and pleasure, for anyone to pass dictats is a little insane. I'd never accuse anyone on here (a few long since gone types excepted) of being a bad fan. Mad, paranoid, self-satisfied? Sure. A bad fan? Not with the hours put in.

Re your response to me, you appear to have misunderstood my point. I'm happy if Wenger goes...its time. I just don't think our five remaining games this season are going to be what determines that, and as such, wanting us to lose in order for him to leave is, at this stage, pointless...because we aren't going to finish lower than 6th and its a long shot to finish above 5th (albeit possible) - though I don't believe his job is dependent on top 4 anyway. My broader point was more in reference to the fact that some (not many on here) wanted Wenger to lose games in order to get the sack when we were still very much in the race for the title in this season and in multiple previous ones. But ultimately, if at those times Wenger actually won the games in question, it would be mad to sack him as we'd have had a decent shot at the title.

Post #368037  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
lomekian wrote:
Much as I think OMOH is venturing into territory that is best left to others...
I am a bit confused by that Lom. What subject of debate is a no-go area for anybody on this forum? Do I need a pass to get in? Sorry if I am missing the point, but I am!

I was referring to your determination to set some new record for stubbornness and banging a particular drum. All I need to say is "Freddie or Wiltord" and surely you'll realise you are aspiring towards an achievement that not only is nigh on impossible, but also will make your posts absolutely unbearable for years to come...

Post #368038  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:36 pm 

lomekian wrote:
All I need to say is "Freddie or Wiltord"

Or "referees".

(Sorry couldn't resist it).

I never saw people wanting us to lose during any kind of title challenge although to be honest I'm struggling slightly to remember when we were seriously making one...

Post #368039  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:43 pm 

Daz wrote:
lomekian wrote:
All I need to say is "Freddie or Wiltord"

Or "referees".

(Sorry couldn't resist it).

I never saw people wanting us to lose during any kind of title challenge although to be honest I'm struggling slightly to remember when we were seriously making one...

Given the temptation I've dangled on that front expecting you of all people to resist it would be entirely unrealistic of me! But nothing will match the great to and fro of the 2001-2005 right wing set to. That one still rears its head now, like a futility Zombie.

As for the title challenge issue, you may not have noted it as it wasn't more than a few times on here (twitter/ANR/blogs on the other hand...), but it stood out for me as such a fine example of anti-logic that it found a place in my memory.

A bit like whoever it was the other day who said they lost faith with Wenger after the 2-2 with Birmingham...even though we were still top of the league at the time....and only missed out on the title by four points due to the much more damaging dropped points in 4 of the next 5 fixtures.

Post #368040  Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:48 pm 

In light of Wenger's last comments, this is a well timed story from Matt Law:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... d-premier/

[ 468890 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9198, 9199, 9200, 9201, 9202, 9203, 9204 ... 11723  Next