Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Decaf, Rich and 288 guests

Post #418121  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:00 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Since you're playing the blame game Hoy who do you blame for 3 (count 'em) successive 5-1 defeats to the same opposition?
Hi Bromley - two quotes I like about blame. “The search for a scapegoat is the easiest of all hunting expeditions.” (Dwight Eisenhower) and "Blame is for God and small children." (Dustin Hoffman).

Evening Hoy. Deep and meaningful as your quotes may be, we're talking about football here. And the repeated inability of the coach to organise the team effectively.
Wenger out!

Post #418122  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Hi Bromley - two quotes I like about blame. “The search for a scapegoat is the easiest of all hunting expeditions.” (Dwight Eisenhower) and "Blame is for God and small children." (Dustin Hoffman).

Evening Hoy. Deep and meaningful as your quotes may be, we're talking about football here. And the repeated inability of the coach to organise the team effectively.
Wenger out!
C'mon you Toffees?

Post #418123  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Wenger out!
C'mon you Toffees?

Pardon?

Post #418124  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:26 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Diving to be punished next season. All incidents involving penalties, second yellow bookings and sending offs to be viewed by a board of three every Monday.

Sam thinks its bollocks and I agree with him. It has to be dealt with on the day at the time and not after the match has been finished alternatively they have to find a punishment that benefits the team that was cheated.

Indeed. It's another b%*&s%*^ exercise. Bring in video replays and forget the notion that contact is a foul. It is typical of the way football is governed. Diving will be punishable with a two match ban but loads of other deliberate fouls won't be subject to any sanctions.

Post #418125  Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:29 pm 

RIP Chris Cornell. Member of the band Soundgarden. Apparently suicide by hanging. Only 52.

Post #418126  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:16 am 

I think this artticle quoting Tony Adams has truth and some jealousy evenly interspersed. However his view that Arsene cannot coach may have some truth to it.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 32411.html

Post #418127  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:36 am 

I see Aaron Mooy may be available. He is a Man City player that has been part of Huddersfield success this year while on loan. Would make a great back up player who would be trying to force himself into the side. He is also a tryer. We could get rid of some of the deadwood. To change a culture in any business takes a number of years. The cruiser mentality of a number of our players is a cause of concern and we need to start the transition. Many of the Wenger favoured fall within this category .

Post #418128  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:24 am 

Apparently Adams rips arsene in his new book.

Attachments:

Post #418129  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:35 am 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I see Aaron Mooy may be available. He is a Man City player that has been part of Huddersfield success this year while on loan. Would make a great back up player who would be trying to force himself into the side. He is also a tryer. We could get rid of some of the deadwood. To change a culture in any business takes a number of years. The cruiser mentality of a number of our players is a cause of concern and we need to start the transition. Many of the Wenger favoured fall within this category .

Think some if not all of these will be surplus:
Ospina, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Campbell... Probably Mertesacker, Cazorla, Walcott and Giroud too...

I expect that if Wenger stays the list will a lot shorter.

Post #418130  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:53 am 

Rich wrote:
Northbank Memories wrote:
Arsenal's & Liverpool's finish to the season has come down to the first game of the season. Wenger messed that up royally.

Had AFC even drawn with LFC on opening day LFC would be on 71 & we'd be on 73. However, we weren't ready says a man in football for 40 years

Good point this. It was totally pathetic that we weren't ready for the season. Wenger was basically gambling he could win the title with only 37 games. I was fuming at the time when we - once again - gave up on our first game of the season for such a basic lack of preparation.

Wenger is just so full of excuses, and frankly, most of it is BS!

Post #418131  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:17 am 

Goonie wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I think this artticle quoting Tony Adams has truth and some jealousy evenly interspersed. However his view that Arsene cannot coach may have some truth to it.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 32411.html

Adams was a fantastic player. But the "paperbag" comment probably applies more to him...

To date, there's been little to suggest that Adams is a particularly good coach. But is that enough to devalue his own impressions of Wenger in that role? After all, he played under him for a number of years, and during Wenger's more successful years at Highbury as well (which some may feel is still keeping Arsene in his job all this time later).

To be honest I don't think you necessarily have to be a fine coach yourself to make reasonable observations on another coach's abilities. Otherwise, how many fans cold pass valid comments about their team's coach? Practically zero. But many of those fans watch their team, either at the ground or on telly. I think that gives them a right to make a judgement about the coach. So having actually played under him as well, I most certainly think the views of Tony Adams on Wenger as a coach shouldn't automatically be dismissed out of hand, simply because so far he hasn't had a successful career as a coach himself.

Post #418132  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:46 am 

Tony Adams wrote:
Arsene Wenger couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag

The perfect description of Arsene Wenger.

Post #418133  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Adams was a fantastic player. But the "paperbag" comment probably applies more to him...

To date, there's been little to suggest that Adams is a particularly good coach. But is that enough to devalue his own impressions of Wenger in that role? After all, he played under him for a number of years, and during Wenger's more successful years at Highbury as well (which some may feel is still keeping Arsene in his job all this time later).

To be honest I don't think you necessarily have to be a fine coach yourself to make reasonable observations on another coach's abilities. Otherwise, how many fans cold pass valid comments about their team's coach? Practically zero. But many of those fans watch their team, either at the ground or on telly. I think that gives them a right to make a judgement about the coach. So having actually played under him as well, I most certainly think the views of Tony Adams on Wenger as a coach shouldn't automatically be dismissed out of hand, simply because so far he hasn't had a successful career as a coach himself.

I think you are correct. If Adams did not think he was a very good coach I think that view does have some credibility as he could compare AW with GG. I think part of the problem we currently face is that some of Wengers prodigies just do not understand what they should be doing. I do not think there are currently clever players in the team of the calibre of Pires, Petit, Ljundberg or Cole. I am not talking about ability I am talking about understanding what to do in various situations in a game. That is where a good coach comes into it.

Post #418134  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:05 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think you are correct. If Adams did not think he was a very good coach I think that view does have some credibility as he could compare AW with GG. I think part of the problem we currently face is that some of Wengers prodigies just do not understand what they should be doing. I do not think there are currently clever players in the team of the calibre of Pires, Petit, Ljundberg or Cole. I am not talking about ability I am talking about understanding what to do in various situations in a game. That is where a good coach comes into it.

I genuinely believe that there are managers who, if they had Arsenal's squad of players exactly as it is with no new players coming in or existing players going out, would have mounted very serious title challenges this season and perhaps in the case of Conte and Pochettino even won it. Moreover I think there are others who would have got this current squad into next season's Champions League with little or no problem, which unless Liverpool make an absolute balls up of a game at home to an already relegated team, Wenger won't do.

I fully accept there's no way of proving it. But I do think Wenger isn't getting the best out of his players for a number of reasons, and that's why I'm making the claim.

Post #418135  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:52 am 

I recall being told on here that Adams seriously considered joining Man Utd, when I was so disappointed over RvP going there. Turns out Adams never seriously considered them. hmm.

Post #418136  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I recall being told on here that Adams seriously considered joining Man Utd, when I was so disappointed over RvP going there. Turns out Adams never seriously considered them. hmm.

Even if he had it would be easy for him to deny it now, though. hmmm.

Post #418137  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:58 am 

Goonie wrote:
Adams doesn't rate Wenger as a coach, fair enough. But that hyperbolic comment is just ridiculous... especially considering his own poor records. And if it's between Adams and Wenger, I think my original post saying the "paperbag" comment is more applicable to Adams is quite right, don't you agree?

Maybe you're overreacting to the paper bag comment? It's a phrase that's often used. Just because Adams' record in coaching is far less impressive than Wenger's I remain to be convinced that should preclude him from using it about Arsene. I bet it's commonly used by staff about managers in many types of private and public organisations in different areas of work and of various sizes. It's just an everyday comment that will be used by staff who themselves wouldn't be good managers. Adams will have seen Wenger as a manager, and at a time when Arsene would surely be considered a better manager than he is now. If it's still his opinion, either from playing under Wenger himself or speaking to players who have more recently, I've no problem with Adams saying it. Just as I wouldn't if a player who played under him in Adam's limited experience as a manger said it about him, even if that player has never managed a football team.

Maybe someone who works on the tills at a supermarket chain's most profitable store might say it about the branch manager because of the way staff are treated? Doesn't mean the criticism might not be valid even if the person on the tills wouldn't be a good store manager him or herself.

Post #418138  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 am 

Adams is a better coach than Wenger. Send Wenger to Portsmouth and Wycombe and see what's happens.

This is why Wenger has been so "loyal". If he goes anywhere else he's getting found out in his 2nd week

Post #418139  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:46 am 

Few things in life are certain but if Tony Adams took Wenger's job I think we would be heading for the relegation zone quicker than his arm used to go up for offside.

Given that, Bernard, I disagree with your view that his own abysmal coaching record should not preclude him commenting on Wenger. And if I were the latter, that particular full toss would not so much be out of the ground but on another continent by now.

Post #418140  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Adams is a better coach than Wenger. Send Wenger to Portsmouth and Wycombe and see what's happens.

This is why Wenger has been so "loyal". If he goes anywhere else he's getting found out in his 2nd week

Not sure if you really believe half the nonsense you come out with but giving you the benefit of the doubt: what do you think the quiddity of Arsenal is that - unlike every other club where he would have been found out after his second week - allowed him to win three titles, several FA cups and to make top four without fail for so many seasons?

(Asking for a friend).

Post #418141  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:13 am 

Daz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not sure if you really believe half the nonsense you come out with but giving you the benefit of the doubt: what do you think the quiddity of Arsenal is that - unlike every other club where he would have been found out after his second week - allowed him to win three titles, several FA cups and to make top four without fail for so many seasons?

(Asking for a friend).

Hang on a second let me google what quiddity means and I'll come back to you on this.

However He's getting his car windows smashed in his third week in Italy or Spain. Admit it, they have little time for discussions on economics and theory

Post #418142  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 am 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Right. Were you also one of those who wanted Neville to replace Wenger? Don't see many forumites complimenting Neville nowadayz.

No that wasn't me

However right now I think Dianne Abbott would do a better job than arsene and would probably take Nicky Butt as our new manager if Wenger left.

Thanks for your interest in my affairs

Post #418143  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hang on a second let me google what quiddity means

Good word isn't it? To save everybody else the trouble, it means the essential quality of something. Hence, what is it about Arsenal in particular that allowed Wenger to flourish beyond two weeks and do pretty well - relatively speaking - for twenty years where he would have been found out at ANY other club?

Post #418144  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 am 

Daz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Hang on a second let me google what quiddity means

Good word isn't it? To save everybody else the trouble, it means the essential quality of something. Hence, what is it about Arsenal in particular that allowed Wenger to flourish beyond two weeks and do pretty well - relatively speaking - for twenty years where he would have been found out at ANY other club?

Good word ? It's freakin awesome. I'm using that. Did you have think long before writing that down? Basically does it come naturally

PHILOSOPHY
the inherent nature or essence of someone or something.

I thought it was something to do with the pound or finance.

I read that Shakespeare effectively had a vocabulary that extended 5 to 6 times that of a normal person. Truly remarkable, I think being able to write is a gift. My nan still writes fantastic letters to us all, a gift that has been lost on my generation

I think Wenger was lucky as his success was relatively early as 10 Barron years would have earnt him the sack even at Arsenal at that time. There is something positive about the fact the club continued to try and have faith in him but I stand by my original point that if Arsene was manager of Real Madrid and they go down to Athletico, their fans are less inclined than ours to seek solace in light of their defeat that at least the players nutrition is spot on.

Shakespeare would have had some interesting words about the last decade.

Post #418145  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:44 am 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Right. Were you also one of those who wanted Neville to replace Wenger? Don't see many forumites complimenting Neville nowadayz.

I wanted Owen Coyle. Still do.

Post #418146  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:44 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Agreed. To be a successful top-level football manager you need a lot more than what is necessary to be a good critic (deep understandings of the game and coaching techniques).

Post #418147  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:52 am 

Daz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

(Asking for a friend).

Adams admits that Wenger was perfect for Arsenal at the time. So Wenger obviously has or had something that Adams doesn't have (or is yet to demonstrate).

Post #418148  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Daz wrote:

Good word ? It's freakin awesome. I'm using that. Did you have think long before writing that down? Basically does it come naturally

PHILOSOPHY

I read that Shakespeare effectively had a vocabulary that extended 5 to 6 times that of a normal person. Truly remarkable, I think being able to write is a gift. My nan still writes fantastic letters to us all, a gift that has been lost on my generation

I think Wenger was lucky as his success was relatively early as 10 Barron years would have earnt him the sack even at Arsenal at that time. There is something positive about the fact the club continued to try and have faith in him but I stand by my original point that if Arsene was manager of Real Madrid and they go down to Athletico, their fans are less inclined than ours to seek solace in light of their defeat that at least the players nutrition is spot on.

I don't like it. It sounds like Harry Potter lecturing Phil 101 with squeaky chalk.

The word 'essence' suffices.

Post #418149  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:57 am 

Daz, I'm just not sure you have to be good at something yourself to give a valid opinion on someone else's performance. I enjoy cooking but I don't have a Michelin Star. Yet if I go to a top restaurant and consider the meal less good than I think it should be for the prices charged, then I think I'm entitled to say so even if I'm not as talented in the kitchen as the chef there. None of us have played at the level of Carl Jenkinson, or anywhere near it. Surely fans still have a right to give a negative opinion of him as a player.

Post #418150  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Daz, I'm just not sure you have to be good at something yourself to give a valid opinion on someone else's performance. I enjoy cooking but I don't have a Michelin Star. Yet if I go to a top restaurant and consider the meal less good than I think it should be for the prices charged, then I think I'm entitled to say so even if I'm not as talented in the kitchen as the chef there. None of us have played at the level of Carl Jenkinson, or anywhere near it. Surely fans still have a right to give a negative opinion of him as a player.

And you can study cooking your whole life and be able to recite Mastering the Art of French Cooking in your sleep, but if you lack that je ne sais quoi or you lack business skill, you still are not going to get that star. On the other hand, if you can talk a good game and manipulate people around you, the sky is the limit.

Post #418151  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 pm 

Tony Adams is *%^@*** mentalist.

Win ratio of 21% in his managerial career. Lower than David Moyes. He was a wonderful player and captain but he is a *%^@*** dreadful coach and an odd bloke. He makes my bum go tight when I see him on TV as I find him toe-curling.

Post #418152  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:17 pm 

Darren wrote:
Tony Adams is *%^@*** mentalist.

Win ratio of 21% in his managerial career. Lower than David Moyes. He was a wonderful player and captain but he is a *%^@*** dreadful coach and an odd bloke. He makes my bum go tight when I see him on TV as I find him toe-curling.

Thanks for coming out of the closet Darren.

Post #418153  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:32 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

PHILOSOPHY

I don't like it. It sounds like Harry Potter lecturing Phil 101 with squeaky chalk.

Not sure it does as they are not synonyms. Where do you stand on haecceity?

Post #418154  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:58 pm 

Daz wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Not sure it does as they are not synonyms. Where do you stand on haecceity?

It sounds a bit ad hoc.

Is the game that you take any old Latin word and add 'icity' to the end (with necessarily trimming or additions to make it sound proper).

Taking the mingo?

Post #418155  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:25 pm 

We haven't lost this many matches (9) since the 2012 season. There could be a miracle at Anfield again for a CL place but truth is we don't deserve it. LFC and City seem to have been more consistent as City has been bad at times given their squad.

Its a travesty we don't know if Wenger is going to stay or go in May. He goes it doesn't give us much time to find a manager and the choices may not be good. My guess? Bould is interim manager if Wenger goes, which may not be a bad thing.

I think a season of Europa league may not be a bad thing with the Thursday matches the exception. We can win that competition or get to the semis at least.

I think we may sneak it in the FA cup final. Not sure till I gauge the mood of the squad not being in the CL next season. They may go into the cup final down or have something to prove. I have to think that mentally they think they are out of it.

Post #418156  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Daz, I'm just not sure you have to be good at something yourself to give a valid opinion on someone else's performance.

Nor do I but your example of an amateur or spectator having a legitimate opinion is a bit different. Adams is currently a professional coach and has a fairly crap record at it. In those circumstances, it would probably be wiser - certainly more diplomatic - not to say that a far more successful coach doesn't know how to do it.

Post #418157  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:15 pm 

When I said Adams had a worse win % than Moyes, I meant Moyes win percentage with sunderland. That's how bad Adams is a coach. He's *%^@.

Post #418158  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:26 pm 

Darren wrote:
When I said Adams had a worse win % than Moyes, I meant Moyes win percentage with sunderland. That's how bad Adams is a coach. He's *%^@.

His standard of coaching is well remembered in High Wycombe.

Sad to say because he was such an idol as a player but you're right - he's been a disaster as a coach. It's rarer for a great player to become a great coach than for a mediocre player to become one and it seems it's often because they don't know how to coach something that came naturally to them.

As for Bernard's food analogy - I kind of agree but I think it's very slightly different to how he's put it. Yes I could eat at a restaurant and decide one night the meal wasn't to my liking and as a diner be quite entitled to say so and even say specifically what I didn't like about the meal - but I'd probably make a right dick of myself if I walked into the kitchen and started telling the experienced chef how he should have cooked the meal in the first place if everytime I'd tried to make that meal I'd ruined it...

Post #418159  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:28 pm 

btw there's a lovely little Spanish Civil War exhibition at Islington Museum at the moment. Well worth popping in if you're near by.

https://friendsofim.com/2017/04/13/bann ... in-london/

Post #418160  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:37 pm 

Darren wrote:

I wouldn't have big Tone as manager, but I have to assume he kept the back 4 organized and so would be a decent defensive line coach wouldn't he? More than decent.

[ 518930 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10451, 10452, 10453, 10454, 10455, 10456, 10457 ... 12974  Next