Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 279 guests

Post #451761  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:41 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Or not. Most of these guys are second generation, according to this. And as the article suggests, it is a matter of the 'islamification of radicalism' [I make that nihilism/fascism rather than 'radicalism'] and not the 'radicalisation of islam'.

Put differently, these lovelies might just as easily have turned out as skinheads or some other form of punk, or just as less ostentatious suicides...

http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/1.791954

:laughing7: nihilistic fascism ...no wonder you never stepped outside your air conditioned cabin at that Kalahari mine site .

Think about it in ordinary terms without the airy fairy language ...you lose a few Muslim relatives in Afghanistan , Iraq , Syria , Libya , Chad wherever ...you don't think you'd have an axe to grind ..... :icon_question: :icon_question:

Clearly, Kiwi. But lack of assimilation is also an obvious factor.

Post #451762  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:45 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: nihilistic fascism ...no wonder you never stepped outside your air conditioned cabin at that Kalahari mine site .

Think about it in ordinary terms without the airy fairy language ...you lose a few Muslim relatives in Afghanistan , Iraq , Syria , Libya , Chad wherever ...you don't think you'd have an axe to grind ..... :icon_question: :icon_question:

And I didn't say 'nihilistic fascism'. I said 'nihilism/fascism', meaning one or the other or both. This is not 'airy fairy language'. Most people with a rudimentary education are familiar with these words.

Post #451763  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:27 pm 

http://www.arsenalstation.com/2017/06/0 ... year-deal/

According to a report in the Express, Arsenal are finally set to announce the signing of Sead Kolasinac with the defender expected to join on a long-term deal worth £7.5m-per-season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOiQTHH0WNE

Post #451764  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:29 pm 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... responsive

Arsene Wenger has been spotted in Nice with chief executive Ivan Gazidis as speculation mounts that Arsenal could be poised to make a move for Monaco star Kylian Mbappe .

Post #451765  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:33 pm 

Really? Even Fox News is blushing. :icon_eek1:
It’s time for Arsenal to ban The Sun from all club functions
http://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2017/6 ... e-headline

It’s painfully obvious to anyone who knows about their long history as well as recent, scandalous events that The Sun should have long been discredited and banned by Arsenal. But today, though, they crossed a line that shouldn’t ever see them back for another function at Arsenal.

It doesn’t matter a single iota what piece of clothing the terrorists were wearing on Saturday night. That was not, is not, and never will be the story. Families and friends are grieving over lost loved ones. A city and country is struggling to come to terms with another attack and what it all means for the future of their land. Yet this tabloid felt it worthy enough to not only lead their front page with such a headline above, but have chosen to include this completely-irrelevant piece of factoid in other multiple online headlines and lead paragraphs today. An act only the depraved and socially-unaccepted would do.

Post #451766  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

It’s painfully obvious to anyone who knows about their long history as well as recent, scandalous events that The Sun should have long been discredited and banned by Arsenal. But today, though, they crossed a line that shouldn’t ever see them back for another function at Arsenal.

It doesn’t matter a single iota what piece of clothing the terrorists were wearing on Saturday night. That was not, is not, and never will be the story. Families and friends are grieving over lost loved ones. A city and country is struggling to come to terms with another attack and what it all means for the future of their land. Yet this tabloid felt it worthy enough to not only lead their front page with such a headline above, but have chosen to include this completely-irrelevant piece of factoid in other multiple online headlines and lead paragraphs today. An act only the depraved and socially-unaccepted would do.

kiss my chuddies

Post #451767  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:25 pm 

:laughing7:

Post #451768  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
"Genuine", by whose definition? He will always have a ready excuse that the challenge was "genuine".

To be fair it was me that used the word 'genuine'. The Metro used the word 'serious'. To quote them, "Arsene Wenger has promised the Arsenal hierarchy he will leave the club next summer if fails to lead a serious title challenge in the coming season."

Having said that, your point is still valid. Practically anything can possibly be called a serious challenge, beyond a sort of Sunderland and others season.

Cannot believe anything out of his mouth nowadays.

Post #451769  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:46 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsene-wenger-kylian-mbappe-arsenal-10564134?service=responsive

Arsene Wenger has been spotted in Nice with chief executive Ivan Gazidis as speculation mounts that Arsenal could be poised to make a move for Monaco star Kylian Mbappe .

100-1 the target is not Mbappe

Post #451770  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:49 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
http://www.arsenalstation.com/2017/06/05/arsenal-set-to-announce-first-signing-player-agrees-7-5m-a-year-deal/

According to a report in the Express, Arsenal are finally set to announce the signing of Sead Kolasinac with the defender expected to join on a long-term deal worth £7.5m-per-season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOiQTHH0WNE

Hope this is true. A good signing if we do pull it off.

Post #451771  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:10 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Trump's tweet was just as moronic and tasteless. And he mentioned the arsenal (or at least his approval of hoarding large quantities of weapons) too.

Post #451772  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:53 pm 

Not my favourite player but Jesus, Cheick Tiote dies following heart attack aged 30. Way too young.

Post #451773  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:52 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Not my favourite player but Jesus, Cheick Tiote dies following heart attack aged 30. Way too young.

Very sad. He got Newcastle's equaliser in that famous 4-4 draw at St James' Park, when they fought back after Arsenal had taken a 0-4 lead.

Post #451774  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Very sad. He got Newcastle's equaliser in that famous 4-4 draw at St James' Park, when they fought back after Arsenal had taken a 0-4 lead.

Right up there with the likes of Luton at Wembley and Nayim from the half way line as my bitterest AFC memories

Post #451775  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:48 pm 

Interesting to see Liverpool going all out for Van Dijk from Southampton, willing to break the world record fee for a defender. City and Chelsea involved as well.

Post #451776  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm 

After weeks of seeing Arsenal players linked with cheap moves away from the club I saw Gibbs linked with a £15m move to Newcastle today. That's more like it. Wenger may think the transfer market is crazy but why not take advantage of it when selling players.

Post #451777  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:59 pm 

Bayern rumoured to be willing to sell Douglas Costa and Renato Sanches. I'd love us to go all out for Sanches. Only 19. If we can't go all out for ready made world stars then lets go big for the next set of stars. Certainly a gamble but one that is likely to retain a break even sell on value even if it doesn't quite work out.

Post #451778  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:01 pm 

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/06/monrea ... ce=twitter

Like this news. Monreal like many players had a bit of a dip in form but was back to his best at the end of the season. He's been incredibly consistent for us over the years. Loved his goal at Wembley, love how he didn't really know how to celebrate as it was so rare and such a big goal.

Post #451779  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:02 pm 

Really feel bad for Joel Campbell. He was better off not signing for us. He could have had a thriving career elsewhere. There are a number of EPL sides for sure he would have done well in and certainly pretty much any Championship side as well as medium sized continental clubs.

http://talksport.com/football/arsenal-f ... tcast-joel

Post #451780  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:05 pm 

Sad news about Tiote...the equalizer against was one of the worst feelings I've had as a fan, embarrassing at the time and totally disgusted with that side. Great strike though.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... James-Park

Post #451781  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:06 pm 

http://www.givemesport.com/1070526-arse ... -III-1sted

Everyone loves a good away and third kit leak photo don't they. Not sure what to make of them other than they'll probably be popular with the kids

Post #451782  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:49 pm 

I'm guessing the Mbappe bid may indicate that our star player is probably off (and I'm not talking about Jenkinson)

Post #451783  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
http://www.givemesport.com/1070526-arsenals-leaked-away-and-third-kits-for-next-season-are-completely-different?autoplay=on&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Organic-Social&utm_campaign=Tribute-Pages-laika-III-1sted

Everyone loves a good away and third kit leak photo don't they. Not sure what to make of them other than they'll probably be popular with the kids

I can't recall.Has any of these 'leaked' kits ever been accurate?

Post #451784  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Decaf wrote:

And I didn't say 'nihilistic fascism'. I said 'nihilism/fascism', meaning one or the other or both. This is not 'airy fairy language'. Most people with a rudimentary education are familiar with these words.

:laughing7: :laughing7: gosh you really know how to sink the boot in ; suitably chastised

.... but they'd believe in Allah so they couldn't be a nihilists ..? and fascist usually involves nationalism and a dictator doesn't it .

Pretty impressive though ; to bandy those words around .

Post #451785  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:41 pm 

Mrs Kiwi [ listening to Sky News ] just told me one of those terrorists they shot couple of days back was an Arsenal fan .
..and so it seems

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 73536.html

Post #451786  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
After weeks of seeing Arsenal players linked with cheap moves away from the club I saw Gibbs linked with a £15m move to Newcastle today. That's more like it. Wenger may think the transfer market is crazy but why not take advantage of it when selling players.

We need a few more out. Everyone focuses on the ins but clearing the squad of nearly men or serial failures is important too. Walcott for starters. Would command a decent fee I'd think. Never came close to what we hoped and any half decent spurt of form usually ended with injury.

Post #451787  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:08 am 

Andy Green wrote:

RIP Tiote

Post #451788  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:36 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:
Forget Ronaldo (although he is a lamentable ponce). I typically quite like the giant flamboyant lollipop that is Madrid but when Sergio Ramos got Cuadrado sent off when they were leading 3-1 and with not long to go anyway I just turned the TV off and carried out a grantyboy style one man boycott of the whole shebang. What an absolute *%^@ that player is.
I was putting the finishing touches to Keith Floyd's delightful Spanish dessert, Leche Frita, (which I highly recommend), so missed that incident. Saw the replay which showed Ramos and the officials in a very bad light. That the game has come to such a pass is obviously all down to the awful Arsene Wenger. No doubt Granty and all the other Kangaroos will agree.

I blame the refs, particularly the 4th official near the dugouts.

Post #451789  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:51 am 

Bizarre stories about us preparing to submit an increased offer of £122m for Mbappe.

Whoever pays that really is pushing the boat out for an 18 year old kid who is not yet the finished article. Obviously, he will still only be 23 in 5 years time so there will be the potential of a hefty resale value.

Post #451790  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:24 am 

socrates wrote:
Bizarre stories about us preparing to submit an increased offer of £122m for Mbappe.

Whoever pays that really is pushing the boat out for an 18 year old kid who is not yet the finished article. Obviously, he will still only be 23 in 5 years time so there will be the potential of a hefty resale value.

Surely your getting into serious Territory with that money. That's neymar type money. There's not many players you couldn't sign

Post #451791  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:46 am 

I thought the Mancs were crazy for paying 36 mil (was it?) for Martial at the time but in hindsight, despite a fairly unproductive season, I'd pay it now. The upside potential under the right system is glaring.

The rumors out of Monaco are nuts. The only way I can see that price (clear of 100 mil) having any kind of truth to it is if it was less than half that and incentives would bring it to that if they were met.

Post #451792  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Surely your getting into serious Territory with that money. That's neymar type money. There's not many players you couldn't sign

Top Gun is right with what he said, either way, but is it 122m pounds or euros socrates? If it's euros, €122m equates to £106m (or a little over). That's still a huge, massive offer but only just exceeds Real Madrid's rumoured offer of £105m that was allegedly turned down, although lomekian suggested their offer was made less enticing because they wanted to pay it over a long period.

Post #451793  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Top Gun is right with what he said, either way, but is it 122m pounds or euros socrates? If it's euros, €122m equates to £106m (or a little over). That's still a huge, massive offer but only just exceeds Real Madrid's rumoured offer of £105m that was allegedly turned down, although lomekian suggested their offer was made less enticing because they wanted to pay it over a long period.

140m euros Bernard.

Post #451794  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:13 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

140m euros Bernard.

Good grief socrates, that's one hell of an offer. To be honest it makes me doubt whether the rumour is true, although what you say about his resale value in a few years (a point I also made a few days ago) is absolutely true.

Post #451795  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:23 am 

Absoloutely ridiculous figures mentioned for Mbappe.
Sure he looks the real deal but he is 18 and not yet the finished article.
What happened to the 20 to 25 million signings that would raise an eyebrow. Now any half decent player is commanding 40 million onwards.
Lacazette 52 million a joke.
We could get 3 to 4 very good players with the money we are rumoured to be bidding for Mbappe.
What happened to proper scouting???
We could have had Van Dyk for 13 million last year. Yet only Southampton had the sense to have a go and now he is going to command 50 million upwards.
Dislike the way these transfers are going now.
No value for money.
Still think clubs can box clever and pick up very good players from 10 to 25 million if they scout properly and get these players before they come to everyones attention.

Post #451796  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:25 am 

laugh all you like but giroud at 15 million was an excellent buy

Post #451797  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:34 am 

I can't see Arsenal paying €140m for a teenager. It is a monstrous fee. He was certainly very impressive in the CL, but his stats in Ligue 1 are nothing special. 16 goals in 40 games. The frequently laughed at Cavani scored 35 goals in 36 games last season.

Post #451798  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:06 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

:laughing7: :laughing7: gosh you really know how to sink the boot in ; suitably chastised

.... but they'd believe in Allah so they couldn't be a nihilists ..? and fascist usually involves nationalism and a dictator doesn't it .

Pretty impressive though ; to bandy those words around .

Suitably chastised? I doubt that. :laughing7:

You are right that my usage of these 'isms' was a bit sloppy. My point is that that basic problem is nihilism and that can go just about anywhere. You take someone who is ignorant and short on natural empathy and make them angry (or allow them to nurse a sense of injustice) and, bingo! You'll get gang bangers, fascists, born-again Christians, Islamists. Is there much difference? I don't know if religion or ideology have much to do with it, except to the extent that both represent anti-rationalism. Christian fundamentalist nuts in the US, for example. They clearly haven't made a study of the gospels and presumably would have just as happily worshipped Hitler or Baal or become a mafioso if that is how things had panned out for them.

Post #451799  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:12 am 

dec wrote:
I can't see Arsenal paying €140m for a teenager. It is a monstrous fee. He was certainly very impressive in the CL, but his stats in Ligue 1 are nothing special. 16 goals in 40 games. The frequently laughed at Cavani scored 35 goals in 36 games last season.

It might be a very good signing in that it sends out a big signal, particularly to the fans and the squad. You don't pay 140 million if you are aiming to come 4th. Also, we are not picking up other clubs' rejects, like Özil and Sanchez. It feels like the Reyes signing ... but taking it to another level entirely.

Post #451800  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:19 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I thought they called it the chef being a plonker and forgetting to put the main ingredient in.

Wenger sounds a little bit like one of those chefs then.........he knows all the ingredients that go in to making a great football side but he keeps leaving half of them out. :icon_mrgreen1:

Indeed. Let's hope that the margarine, spam and donkey meat era is over.

[ 551545 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11292, 11293, 11294, 11295, 11296, 11297, 11298 ... 13789  Next