Fixtures Saturday May 4th - Bournemouth - Emirates Stadium - 12:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Post #291761  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:49 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
He's moved on since banging in those important goals back in '98.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40189690

:53big-emoticons:

Post #291762  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:02 pm 

Here's a good one ...

Alexis Sanchez will complete move to Man City in coming days

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/814183/Alexis-Sanchez-Manchester-City-transfer-news-Arsenal

Post #291763  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yeah sounds like bellerina is off. One for the "don't sign young Spanish players because they always want to go home " theory

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 75311.html

I don't think he'll go this summer but I'd be tempted if they put in a huge bid. However I doubt their offer if they even make one, will be anywhere near what AW values him at. If Barca do bid £45m plus then it might not be so bad to take the cash and invest it in a rb with more physical presence and with the ability to cross a decent ball.

Post #291764  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
lomekian wrote:
Not buying it...sounds like a series of answers to specific and different questions cobbled together. The fact is, he was rubbishing the move only weeks ago, has 6 years left on his contract, and our financial situation is such that we don't need to sell anyone under contract, not like before. Add in the fact that as one of the 6 best young full-backs in Europe, he's actually probably out of Barca's financial reach. The only way this happens is if the player burns all his bridges to force a move, which seems unlikely given Bellerin's prior comments, or if Barca offer silly money or amazing options in a swap.

I'll be amazed if this happens.

When I read it, it seemed like the interviewer was trying to push him into saying he wants to join Barcelona, or at least give answers where that could be assumed.

There's another set of quotes saying his family has gone back to Barcelona and it will change the dynamic of his stay with Arsenal. Sounds like he's agitating for a move and will be off.

Good riddance I say, he always had that Reyesy look about him where he was going to be off the first chance he saw and ox is a better player anyway.

NothIng less than 50million please arsene and no more cry baby spaniards

Post #291765  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:27 pm 

Chesney to juve for 14m is another sound piece of business if it happens. Bye bye you cocky *%^@ well take that money in a heartbeat.

The other one mooted in the press that sounds excellent is Gibbs to Newcastle for and I quote 15 million quid, woohoo kerching. Let's rack up some dollar cash money for this deadwood

Post #291766  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:29 pm 

Ospina might be lacking a bit of height to be a really top keeper in this country but he is still a very good goalkeeper who has performed very well on the world and Champions league stages. To sell him for £3m in the current market would be ridiculous. To then sell Szczesny for £14m is plain daft. He's got to be worth at least another £10m. We'd then have to overpay for a replacement. I'm sorry but despite some of his previous immature antics, Szczesny is still a superior player to keepers like Pickford and is older and hopefully more mature now. It just wouldn't make sense especially when we have other positions that need prioritising. We shouldn't be wasting money on a keeper.

Post #291767  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:02 pm 

Sabir wrote:
Ospina might be lacking a bit of height to be a really top keeper in this country but he is still a very good goalkeeper who has performed very well on the world and Champions league stages. To sell him for £3m in the current market would be ridiculous. To then sell Szczesny for £14m is plain daft. He's got to be worth at least another £10m. We'd then have to overpay for a replacement. I'm sorry but despite some of his previous immature antics, Szczesny is still a superior player to keepers like Pickford and is older and hopefully more mature now. It just wouldn't make sense especially when we have other positions that need prioritising. We shouldn't be wasting money on a keeper.

I agree with you Sabir. I can understand Ospina being sold because, as you imply, he's possibly too short to be a top keeper in England. As a result he doesn't dominate the area and I go into panic mode every time the ball comes into our area in the air. As I think lomekian said a while back, that suggests he might be better suited to leagues abroad as high crosses are probably more common in England. But £3m would be ridiculous.

I also agree with you about Szczesny. He's a highly talented keeper who has presumably matured in Italy if Juventus want him. To sell him for £14m seems crazy. Was our chief transfer negotiator Dick Law poached from Aldi or the Poundshop?

Post #291768  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:09 pm 

Sab agreed.
3 million and 14 million for Ospina and Chesney are ridiculous.
What idiot negotiates our transfers??!!
Ospina should be going for 10 to 15 million and Chesney 20 to 25 million.
Im not even sure we should be selling him.
Bring him back and let him challenge Čech.
Why the hell should juventus get the benefits of his peak years.
I think Chesney would come back if promised the no 1 slot but cant see wenger doing that. No way he is coming back to sit on the bench.

Post #291769  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:16 pm 

If the Ox signs a new contract as i hope he does id be open to letting Bellerin go for 45 million minimum and reinvest the money. Its clear his long term future isnt here if his family have gone back to spain. So eventually he will go.
But only if the Ox stays. He has looked very good in the wing back role.

Post #291770  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 pm 

And if sanchez is going getting it done quickly.
And out of the country
No drawn out sagas this summer please

Post #291771  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:09 pm 

Ox at RB? Does he want to for a start, is he willing to commit to the position and develop the requisite skills, especially defending. Attack wise, as a full back he is better than Bellerin. I like Bellerin more. His pace, he's a better defender and is an asset in attack if not as good as Ox. He puts in a better cross as well. If Bellerin's mind is set and he's pulling a 'Fabregas' so be it. Can't blame someone for wanting to play for their hometown club and that club being no worse than 2nd or 3rd best club in the world.

Walcott can go IF he fetches a really good price. Not sure what that price is but its not cheap. Welbeck and Girouid are good back ups for a top, top striker if either are okay with that role. Monreal will need replacing soon as he is on the other side of 30 and Gibbs is not that player.

Centrally, we seem somewhat sorted. Cazorla is on his last legs. Čech needs to be challenged as well. Go for a very good prospect that can learn under him.

Post #291772  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:27 pm 

david.d wrote:
If the Ox signs a new contract as i hope he does id be open to letting Bellerin go for 45 million minimum and reinvest the money. Its clear his long term future isnt here if his family have gone back to spain. So eventually he will go.
But only if the Ox stays. He has looked very good in the wing back role.

I might not read the obvious conclusion into Bellerins family moving back to Spain. When he moved here he was a child, makes absolute sense that his family would move too. Now that he is very much an adult, being able to make all his own stupid hairstyle choices, and long established as first choice and raking it in, they probably rightly thought he might not need their support in the same way. I'm sure he doesn't live with them so they've got no need to stay here anymore. Unless Barca bid more than 45-50m I can't see him going at all.

Post #291773  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:28 pm 

david.d wrote:
And if sanchez is going getting it done quickly.
And out of the country
No drawn out sagas this summer please

I'd do the opposite and refuse to sell until we have added more firepower. Without that we are totally screwed

Post #291774  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:37 pm 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... outhampton

Liverpool officially end their interest in Van Dijk and apologise to Southampton for their conduct. Sounds like Liverpool knew they had broken a few rules and Saints reporting them to the premier league or FA would have been bad news for them so they decided to pull out than risk a bigger punishment.

Post #291775  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 pm 

I can't see Wenger making any central defence signings even though we've moved to a 3 man back line which would normally require more CB to choose from. Wenger made a point when talking about Kolasinac that he sees Monreal playing a fair bit in a 3 man back line. So if you add Monreal and the returning Chambers to our current CB list you end up with Kos, Mert, Mustafi, gabriel, Holding, Monreal, Chambers. In numbers terms that is more than enough for 3 positions

Post #291776  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:50 pm 

Rich wrote:
I can't see Wenger making any central defence signings even though we've moved to a 3 man back line which would normally require more CB to choose from. Wenger made a point when talking about Kolasinac that he sees Monreal playing a fair bit in a 3 man back line. So if you add Monreal and the returning Chambers to our current CB list you end up with Kos, Mert, Mustafi, gabriel, Holding, Monreal, Chambers. In numbers terms that is more than enough for 3 positions

I would agree and happy really in terms of quality.

Post #291777  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10907645/liverpool-end-virgil-van-dijk-interest-and-apologise-to-southampton

Liverpool officially end their interest in Van Dijk and apologise to Southampton for their conduct. Sounds like Liverpool knew they had broken a few rules and Saints reporting them to the premier league or FA would have been bad news for them so they decided to pull out than risk a bigger punishment.

I know, bit mad innit? First ever statement I've heard of its kind. Maybe Barca should copy and paste it and enact it retrospectively for every player they've ever signed for us. Bastardos. Glad Liverpool aren't signing him anyway, seems a very good youngish CB.

Post #291778  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:03 pm 

Rich wrote:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10907645/liverpool-end-virgil-van-dijk-interest-and-apologise-to-southampton

I know it goes on everywhere but over the years Liverpool have had a lot more previous than other clubs, or cases where they got sanctioned. Ziege, Kenwyne Jones, that kid from Stoke, I think there were others and now VVD. They've been fined and warned in the past, I'm sure some legal lines had been crossed and didn't want something more serious ie a transfer ban which is why they put out that unusual statement.

Post #291779  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:05 pm 

david.d wrote:

That's what I was hoping would happen. Did you see Pickford's kicking when he played at the Emirates? Atrocious! This kind of signing just reminds me of Richard Wright.

Post #291780  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Was our chief transfer negotiator Dick Law poached from Aldi or the Poundshop?

Lidl!
Ospina is a good shot stopper but imagine 10 minutes remaining with a one goal lead, the opposition start aerially bombarding us, Ospina just isn't the man to see us home. And I've noticed he picks up injuries way too easily. A good gk but I'd be happy for him to move on. Just not for three bloody million quid.
I think people forget how good Szczesny is. He did some stupid stuff as well as make a few high profile gaffs but he is a top keeper and he proved it in Italy. There was a game when he played against the Germans a while back when he looked absolutely incredible, one of the best displays I had seen. I really thought he would be our keeper for the next decade. Ok things don't always work out but sell him for a decent fee. Not sell him cheap and then pay over the odds for a less talented player. No way is Pickford an improvement on Szczesny.

Post #291781  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 pm 

Sabir wrote:
david.d wrote:

That's what I was hoping would happen. Did you see Pickford's kicking when he played at the Emirates? Atrocious! This kind of signing just reminds me of Richard Wright.

Pickford's a good shot stopper. But as well as being very poor at distributing the ball, he's almost as bad as Ospina when the ball is crossed into his area in the air.

Post #291782  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:22 pm 

Sabir wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Was our chief transfer negotiator Dick Law poached from Aldi or the Poundshop?

Lidl!

I meant Lidl. Forgot their name and confused them with Aldi.

Post #291783  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:23 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Monreal will need replacing soon as he is on the other side of 30 and Gibbs is not that player.

I agree Gibbs is not that player but that's why we signed Kolasinac.

Post #291784  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:17 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yeah sounds like bellerina is off. One for the "don't sign young Spanish players because they always want to go home " theory

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 75311.html

They wont want to go home if their club has better ambitions. They came with hopes but were "conned" by a word twisting manager.

Post #291785  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:19 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Abu wrote:

pervert

persistent

Predictable

Post #291786  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:25 am 

warrior wrote:
Here's a good one ...

Alexis Sanchez will complete move to Man City in coming days

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/814183/Alexis-Sanchez-Manchester-City-transfer-news-Arsenal

Tabloids and their cr**. Did they learn from Wenger, or the other way round?

Post #291787  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 am 

david.d wrote:
Sab agreed.
3 million and 14 million for Ospina and Chesney are ridiculous.
What idiot negotiates our transfers??!!
Ospina should be going for 10 to 15 million and Chesney 20 to 25 million.
Why the hell should juventus get the benefits of his peak years.
I think Chesney would come back if promised the no 1 slot but cant see wenger doing that. No way he is coming back to sit on the bench.

I think Wenger simply dislike players who speak of the club or him. The quiet ones are his favourites.

Post #291788  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:57 am 

Has it been confirmed we bid anywhere close to the press stated price of 89 mil or more? I find it unbelievable considering its Wenger. It may be Gazidis and part of the contract agreement that this summer we are going to go for big players and spend big. If we did make that offer its a game changer for Arsenal. It says we are now competing with anyone. A good sign. The club can handle it financially I suppose. Just amazing if we had the stones to bid that much.

I can only see City, Man Utd and Chelsea doing that in the EPL. I can't see Tottenham or Liverpool doing that.

Post #291789  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:00 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Sadly you can't. You need to find these attributes in one player.

Certainly, finding these attributes in one player would be preferable to two. In fact, finding them in two is almost worthless. Wenger must have known that when he signed Welbeck and Podolski that they weren't one player, but, in fact, two separate players. What was he thinking? In the Invincibles era, he almost certainly wouldn't have made such a simple numerical error.

:laughing7: :laughing7:
All the best to all in the UK for the elections.

Post #291790  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:02 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Abu wrote:

pervert

persistent

perspicacious

Post #291791  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:03 am 

Daz wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
persistent

perspicacious

permertesacker

Post #291792  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:08 am 

Decaf wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Certainly, finding these attributes in one player would be preferable to two. In fact, finding them in two is almost worthless. Wenger must have known that when he signed Welbeck and Podolski that they weren't one player, but, in fact, two separate players. What was he thinking? In the Invincibles era, he almost certainly wouldn't have made such a simple numerical error.

:laughing7: :laughing7:

We're gonna need it. Big Tory win because Corbyn might push up national share a bit by doing well among the converted in Liverpool and Gateshead but lose key marginals. UKIP vote goes almost entirely to Tories. Waveres go Tory because he's seen as weak on national security and prioritising "human rights" over fighting terror (he obligingly walked straight into the obvious Tory trap on that one).

Unless young people turn out in droves which frankly I doubt.

Worst Tory candidate and campaign in decades probably going to be rewarded with a thumping majority.

Post #291793  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:13 am 

Plus it's *%^@*** raining = lower turnout = favours Tories.

Wenger out.

Post #291794  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:25 am 

Daz wrote:
Daz wrote:

perspicacious

permertesacker

permafrost

Post #291795  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:31 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

permertesacker

permafrost

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om0jhPkOwhg[/youtube]

Post #291796  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:43 am 

Decaf wrote:

Bear in mind that the world is watching and praying that you are not as foolish as the yanks. We have some faith regarding the Welsh, Irish and Scottish voters and some optimism regarding the English.

Post #291797  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 am 

Daz wrote:
Plus it's *%^@*** raining = lower turnout = favours Tories.

Wenger out.

Crap.

Crazy weather here, as you may have seen. We thought we were goners at one stage with a big fire across the valley. SA is definitely not for the faint-hearted!

Post #291798  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 am 

Daz wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
persistent

perspicacious

paludicolous

Post #291799  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:00 am 

Let's hope Daz and the the bookies are wrong.

Daz has plenty of form. As for the bookies: #Leicester #brexit #CheetoBenito

Post #291800  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:15 am 

Decaf wrote:
Let's hope Daz and the the bookies are wrong.

Daz has plenty of form. As for the bookies: #Leicester #brexit #CheetoBenito

The polls are close enough that a Labour victory is actually within the realm of possibility, which is encouraging. Fivethirtyeight had a pretty good summary of the different likely scenarios.

[ 390536 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7292, 7293, 7294, 7295, 7296, 7297, 7298 ... 9764  Next