Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mcquilkie and 295 guests

Post #521801  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:45 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
PV4 manager of Crystal Palace

:icon_mrgreen1:

Just in time to poach a few fringe Arse players maybe. Azeez, Balogun (if that supposed Juve Ramsey swap doesn't occur), rescue Saliba from another loan? Hmmm.

Post #521802  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:57 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Ah yes. Quite carried away there. Oops.

To be fair, I think you'll get there. Sweden/Ukraine, then Czech Republic/Denmark, no excuses not to get to the final.

Have to say that statement is crackers. You must have seen enough football to know nothing is a given - ask Monsieur Deschamps!

Post #521803  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:07 pm 

Rich wrote:
Fair play to Southgate. He's taken a lot of stick for being negative but he's playing tournament football. Make them hard to beat and nick a goal...
Italy have been doing it very well for years. Not a bad model to copy. Under Southgate England seem to have stopped shooting themselves in the foot, which is half the battle, though Sterling's error went unpunished. It takes two to tango and surprisingly, after a bright start, Germany were even more cautious than England. Maguire was immense and Shaw was my MoM.

Post #521804  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:16 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
Fair play to Southgate. He's taken a lot of stick for being negative but he's playing tournament football. Make them hard to beat and nick a goal...
Italy have been doing it very well for years. Not a bad model to copy. Under Southgate England seem to have stopped shooting themselves in the foot, which is half the battle, though Sterling's error went unpunished. It takes two to tango and surprisingly, after a bright start, Germany were even more cautious than England. Maguire was immense and Shaw was my MoM.

Maguire was good, I thought Walker was the best of the back 3 as his interventions seemed to be at more dangerous moments.
Before Shaw set up Sterling's goal I was wondering what he'd done all game and that he seemed to be better suited to being an attacking left back than attacking wing back. I thought both wing backs needed to get much higher up the pitch. When Sterling scores both wing backs are in the penalty area for probably the first time in the match.

Post #521805  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:18 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Have to say that statement is crackers. You must have seen enough football to know nothing is a given - ask Monsieur Deschamps!

Not saying anything is a given, but if England go out against any of those sides they haven't done their job. Kind of like when Arsenal play Crystal Palace - you can never guarantee a win, but there's certainly reason to be disappointed if we don't beat them.

Post #521806  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:25 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:

Not sure I've ever seen Italy field 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders. All of the great Italian teams were characterised by a mix of top class defenders and gifted playmakers. The 2006 World Cup winners had Pirlo, Totti and Del Piero in their ranks.

Post #521807  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:32 pm 

If England win it all then fair play to Southgate and all complaints about formations and team selection goes out the window. But as a neutral, I would still be disappointed that a team with England's wealth of attacking talent can't produce more than a few glimpses of excitement each game. Look at Spain, who wish they had a striker like Kane, a scoring winger like Sterling or a playmaker like Grealish, they still manage to take the game to their opponents, always wanting to be in control. That's much more fun to watch.

Post #521808  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:45 pm 

dec wrote:
Not sure I've ever seen Italy field 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders. All of the great Italian teams were characterised by a mix of top class defenders and gifted playmakers. The 2006 World Cup winners had Pirlo, Totti and Del Piero in their ranks.
If England had a Pirlo or a Del Piero I am sure Southgate would play them! I am not going to moan if the manager cuts his cloth according to the quality available to him. Three weeks ago if a World or European Eleven was mooted I doubt if the unattached pundits would have included many England players in it. I imagine the same stands today. Southgate may yet see a "Golden Generation" of youths come through, but right now he has to keep his team in the business end of a major tournament, and so far his pragmatic way is working.

Post #521809  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:
Has anyone checked on Bernard?

To be honest I’m more disappointed about England winning than Germany losing. It will really surprise me if England don’t reach the final considering who they’re likely to play in the quarter and semi. Then on paper the hardest opposition in the final now France are out looks either Belgium, possibly without De Bruyne and Eden Hazard, or Spain who are nothing like what they used to be. The game is at home for England too.

For me it’ll be unbearable in this country if England win it. I know I’m in a minority but I consider the English really bad winners. Practically the whole country becomes obnoxious, even those who don’t follow sport. I hate, despise and loathe the English national team of any sport, but football far more than cricket or rugby both of whom have won their world cups in living memory.

It’s my thirtieth wedding anniversary today so I’ve got to pretend to be happy with my wife when going out shortly. But God I feel like going abroad for a month to get away from the more revolting English people.

This is such a daft charade you persist with.

Post #521810  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:48 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
If England had a Pirlo or a Del Piero I am sure Southgate would play them! I am not going to moan if the manager cuts his cloth according to the quality available to him. Three weeks ago if a World or European Eleven was mooted I doubt if the unattached pundits would have included many England players in it. I imagine the same stands today.

Come on, why is a "world eleven" some sort of benchmark? Sterling, Kane, Grealish, Foden, Saka, Mount, Rashford, Sancho are all top top class players, producing wonderful performances week in week out in the biggest leagues. None of them may be THE best at a given position, but the depth of top class attacking talent for England is ridiculous, and measures up with any national team in the world.

Post #521811  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:48 pm 

No I have to say I was wrong on 2 fronts, the set up wasn’t too conservative and I was also wrong to turn down a match ticket. Well done England

Post #521812  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:09 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
dec wrote:
If England had a Pirlo or a Del Piero I am sure Southgate would play them! I am not going to moan if the manager cuts his cloth according to the quality available to him. Three weeks ago if a World or European Eleven was mooted I doubt if the unattached pundits would have included many England players in it. I imagine the same stands today. Southgate may yet see a "Golden Generation" of youths come through, but right now he has to keep his team in the business end of a major tournament, and so far his pragmatic way is working.

Jack Grealish is the most talented English midfielder. In my view, he is one of the best in Europe. TAA is probably the best attacking fullback in world football. Jadon Sancho has been a star in the Bundesliga. I think you are under-rating the talent you have available. Rice and Philips and 5 defenders is too conservative for me. I think England could be much more exciting and a better team for it.

Post #521813  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:17 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
If England had a Pirlo or a Del Piero I am sure Southgate would play them! I am not going to moan if the manager cuts his cloth according to the quality available to him. Three weeks ago if a World or European Eleven was mooted I doubt if the unattached pundits would have included many England players in it. I imagine the same stands today.

Come on, why is a "world eleven" some sort of benchmark? Sterling, Kane, Grealish, Foden, Saka, Mount, Rashford, Sancho are all top top class players, producing wonderful performances week in week out in the biggest leagues. None of them may be THE best at a given position, but the depth of top class attacking talent for England is ridiculous, and measures up with any national team in the world.
I was simply making the point that the England squad does not contain any universally recognised international star - Kane on his day maybe - but not any of the names you mention, several of whom are relative novices who happen to shine in club teams - Chelsea, Bayern and City - that are arguably better sides than England! International football is obviously different. Anyway, Southgate's negativity can be overstated - in qualifyng for this tournament the amount of goals scored by his team (37 in 10 games) was exceeded only by Belgium. Yes, England have been steady so far, but there is a cup to be won, and you won't find too many glum England fans tonight!

Post #521814  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:18 pm 

dec wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Jack Grealish is the most talented English midfielder. In my view, he is one of the best in Europe. TAA is probably the best attacking fullback in world football. Jadon Sancho has been a star in the Bundesliga. I think you are under-rating the talent you have available. Rice and Philips and 5 defenders is too conservative for me. I think England could be much more exciting and a better team for it.

Maybe but honestly you can’t say England misjudged that. The tactics were essentially that our 7 defensive lads fancied cancelling out theirs and the remaining guys made the difference. It worked. For once in my whole life

Post #521815  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:25 pm 

dec wrote:
I'll take my excitement when we win something! I obviously hope you are right about Grealish, but let us see if he can deliver consistently for England. We had genuinely high quality midfielders in Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard, none of whom got a sniff of international glory.

Post #521816  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:29 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Maybe but honestly you can’t say England misjudged that. The tactics were essentially that our 7 defensive lads fancied cancelling out theirs and the remaining guys made the difference. It worked. For once in my whole life

At the same time, Muller missed an absolute sitter and England should've had at least one player sent off (Phillips, for the challenge on Kroos in the first half). Not sure that's a strategy I'd bank on for the next game...

Post #521817  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:36 pm 

Anyway, on to the REAL football. Sweden are looking pretty good today!

Post #521818  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:39 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

At the same time, Muller missed an absolute sitter and England should've had at least one player sent off (Phillips, for the challenge on Kroos in the first half). Not sure that's a strategy I'd bank on for the next game...

But he missed it’s still 2-1. I agree I’d have picked mount but the idea you flood the team with attackers.

It worked. End of

Post #521819  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:
Has anyone checked on Bernard?

To be honest I’m more disappointed about England winning than Germany losing. It will really surprise me if England don’t reach the final considering who they’re likely to play in the quarter and semi. Then on paper the hardest opposition in the final now France are out looks either Belgium, possibly without De Bruyne and Eden Hazard, or Spain who are nothing like what they used to be. The game is at home for England too.

For me it’ll be unbearable in this country if England win it. I know I’m in a minority but I consider the English really bad winners. Practically the whole country becomes obnoxious, even those who don’t follow sport. I hate, despise and loathe the English national team of any sport, but football far more than cricket or rugby both of whom have won their world cups in living memory.

It’s my thirtieth wedding anniversary today so I’ve got to pretend to be happy with my wife when going out shortly. But God I feel like going abroad for a month to get away from the more revolting English people.

:14laughter:

Post #521820  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
But he missed it’s still 2-1. I agree I’d have picked mount but the idea you flood the team with attackers.

Think there's a middle ground between being super conservative and going all out, abandoning all structure. The starting eleven against the Czechs was more attacking and played better, while still maintaining the defensive solidity.

Post #521821  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:53 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Think there's a middle ground between being super conservative and going all out, abandoning all structure. The starting eleven against the Czechs was more attacking and played better, while still maintaining the defensive solidity.

You must be joking, I went last week. :15laughter:

There were people asleep near to us only woken by the limbs when we scored.

Post #521822  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

First 30 minutes was the best England has produced this tournament, second half wasn't as good but it still shows it's possible to attack and defend in the same match.

Post #521823  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:59 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

First 30 minutes was the best England has produced this tournament, second half wasn't as good but it still shows it's possible to attack and defend in the same match.

England weren’t any less defensive than Germany today.

Post #521824  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:01 pm 

Another player waving his arms in innocence. Bye bye Danielson.

Post #521825  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

No, Germany was very disappointing too in that regard. Only managed to hit their level in one game this tournament.

Post #521826  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:05 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Yeah, not much to wave about there. Doesn't really matter how much you hit the ball if your studs go straight up into an opponents knee.

Post #521827  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:09 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Yeah, not much to wave about there. Doesn't really matter how much you hit the ball if your studs go straight up into an opponents knee.

Truly grim, especially seeing the fouled player’s leg bend under the impact.

Post #521828  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:14 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No, Germany was very disappointing too in that regard. Only managed to hit their level in one game this tournament.

Yep. They played very well against Portugal, but were very ordinary in the other games. Didi Hamann is working as a pundit on Irish TV for the Euros. He expected nothing from them before the tournament started. Loew dropping Muller, Hummels and Boateng when all were still performing at a high level and then reversing it 12 months later. The feeling in Germany is that the whole thing was disjointed.

Post #521829  Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:16 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Truly grim, especially seeing the fouled player’s leg bend under the impact.

Looked horrible. To be fair, I think it was completely accidental.

Post #521830  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:18 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Grealish's quality evident in both goals.

A game changer

Post #521831  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:38 am 

Worth noting how good Kai Havertz was last night for the Germans. He had a very good end to the season for Chelsea. If he keeps that form up he has the talent to push Chelsea to a proper title challenge next year. Great player to watch

Post #521832  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:04 am 

dec wrote:
Congratulations, Bernard.

If it makes you feel better, you mentioned that you have only watched full matches involving Germany and England. Well Spain are much better than you give them credit for and Italy are very impressive, without having big stars.

Lots of football to be played yet.

Thanks dec. To be honest the only matches I’ve watched in full are Germany’s. Hence the only England game I’ve watched in full was yesterday’s and that was because they played Germany. I hope you’re right about Spain if they end up playing England in the final. I’d also forgotten about Italy, who presumably also have a good chance of reaching the final.

Post #521833  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:06 am 

England are off to Rome but if they win that and keep going it will be 6 out of 7 games at Wembley. I think Bernard mentioned it before but with some big name favourites knocked out it really does feel like a home tournament for England.

Post #521834  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:17 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’m perfectly entitled to express my support in international football, just like everyone else is. You express your desire for England to win. I just shrug my shoulders and let you get on with it, as I do with everyone else who does the same.

Just as you are entitled to support who you want and post viewpoints on the issue, so am I. Hence I’m puzzled why you think of my support of Germany and dislike of England as a daft charade. I’ve explained the reasons in the past. I see them as valid and understandable.

Post #521835  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:50 am 

Rich wrote:
England are off to Rome but if they win that and keep going it will be 6 out of 7 games at Wembley. I think Bernard mentioned it before but with some big name favourites knocked out it really does feel like a home tournament for England.

Considering there isn’t supposed to be a home nation, I wonder why UEFA thought it okay to have, if England reach the final, six of their seven games at Wembley? I realise the venues were decided some while back, but with both semi finals (I believe) and the final being at Wembley, I would gave thought it fairly obvious that if England progressed they would have a significant and arguably unfair advantage. Is it even arguable, especially with all three of their group games and their last sixteen match also being at Wembley? It just seems odd.

Post #521836  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m perfectly entitled to express my support in international football, just like everyone else is. You express your desire for England to win. I just shrug my shoulders and let you get on with it, as I do with everyone else who does the same.

Just as you are entitled to support who you want and post viewpoints on the issue, so am I. Hence I’m puzzled why you think of my support of Germany and dislike of England as a daft charade. I’ve explained the reasons in the past. I see them as valid and understandable.

As something of mongrel I have allegiances across the UK and Ireland so always want the home nations to win so understand allegiances to different teams. I’ve also always had a bit of a soft spot for the Dutch national team and the way they play football But by saying stuff like “revolting English people” you are letting people know this is simply a charade and not serious. If it’s that bad you wouldn’t attend Arsenal games and surround yourself with such people.

Post #521837  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:32 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Considering there isn’t supposed to be a home nation, I wonder why UEFA thought it okay to have, if England reach the final, six of their seven games at Wembley? I realise the venues were decided some while back, but with both semi finals (I believe) and the final being at Wembley, I would gave thought it fairly obvious that if England progressed they would have a significant and arguably unfair advantage. Is it even arguable, especially with all three of their group games and their last sixteen match also being at Wembley? It just seems odd.

The competition format is absurd I agree with that wales player. There is an element of luck that England won their group but to only play 1 game away from England when wales have gone to Baku and the like is simply ridiculous

If England don’t win this tournament I doubt we ever will.

Post #521838  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 am 

On the German front I thought it was a daft decision not to start Gnabry. The standard formation these days seems to fill your team with as many defensive midfielders as possible

Post #521839  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The competition format is absurd I agree with that wales player. There is an element of luck that England won their group but to only play 1 game away from England when wales have gone to Baku and the like is simply ridiculous

Yes, it's a weird one, but I doubt that there'll be a similar tournament - England at home in six matches out of seven, and with Wembley semi-finals and final - in the next 20 or 30 years. If the next few Euros give the same advantage to other nations (especially Germany, Bernard: we've all got our fingers and toes crossed!), there's no particular harm done.

Post #521840  Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:01 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes, it's a weird one, but I doubt that there'll be a similar tournament - England at home in six matches out of seven, and with Wembley semi-finals and final - in the next 20 or 30 years. If the next few Euros give the same advantage to other nations (especially Germany, Bernard: we've all got our fingers and toes crossed!), there's no particular harm done.

The tournament is certainly the poorer for not having a host nation. Obviously, Covid screwed it up completely anyway, but you usually get supporters of the host nation really getting on board with teams playing in their cities. It's all just a bit flat.

[ 562427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13043, 13044, 13045, 13046, 13047, 13048, 13049 ... 14061  Next