Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 225 guests

Post #517001  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:46 pm 

dec wrote:
It is only a few weeks since Aubameyang scored a hatrick against Leeds and followed it up with those vital goals against Benfica. He had a shocker on Thursday night but that has happened before. He is the type of striker who scores bucketfuls but every once in a while has a game where he misses easy chances.

It is also worth noting that our overall attacking play was terrible for the first half of this season. We were creating very little. Thankfully that has improved but was far more relevant to his scoring stats than signing a new contract.

Couldnt agree more. I recall Aubameyang chasing right backs the length of the pitch not that long ago. He was clearly pissed off with himself when he missed what should have been the first goal vs Olypiacos. The team attacking model is still changing and his and every role in that team still evolving.

Post #517002  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:51 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... obal-en-GB

Post #517003  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
That's a player I haven't thought about for a long time! We've been spoiled with good left backs during my time following Arsenal; Tierney is excellent, and before him there was Monreal who I felt was criminally underrated and was honestly one of the best full backs in the league for a few years. Before him there was a season or two with Gibbs and Andre Santos that wasn't great, but before that we had Clichy, Cole, and then Sylvinho (who I remember as a good player) for a short while in between Cole and Winterburn.

And then before my time there was of course Sansom who I know is very highly rated.

I think Bernard was kinda right on clichy who was a workman like fullback who I think suffered because of wengers lack of defensive coaching discipline and structure rather than his own ability, Gibbs was ok but not combative enough and Monreal was very solid but over rated by our fans. I felt certain wingers could really get to him in some games.

Tierney for me is easily the best since cole and I think it’s noticeable how the attacks coming down our right flank aren’t as regular when soares plays rather than a Bellerin.

Yep Bellerin is softer, can't cross for *%^@ and definitely more in the mould of Clichy. He also wears his shorts too high.

Post #517004  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:28 pm 

With no interesting Premier League games today I thought I'd watch Bayern - Stuttgart to see how Mavropanos is doing. Started interestingly enough with Bayern getting a player sent off after ten minutes. Then Bayern proceeded to score three goals in six minutes, adding a fourth before half time. Not Mavropanos fault in particular but not exactly a game where he stands out either...

That Lewandowski is a good player, we should try to sign him.

Post #517005  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
See Peter Lorimer, the Leeds legend, died today. I’m sure a number of the forum’s more mature members (in terms of age) will remember him. A former Scottish international (he was born in Dundee), noted for his ferocious shooting from long distances. He was only 74, not that old considering modern life expectancies.

Good player.

Probably the least offensive of Don Revie’s bunch of noswocs. Christ I hated that team - like most of humankind.

Yep. ‘Good player’ is high praise, considering. It’s about as much as I can manage.

Post #517006  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:19 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
See Peter Lorimer, the Leeds legend, died today. I’m sure a number of the forum’s more mature members (in terms of age) will remember him. A former Scottish international (he was born in Dundee), noted for his ferocious shooting from long distances. He was only 74, not that old considering modern life expectancies.

Good player.

Probably the least offensive of Don Revie’s bunch of noswocs. Christ I hated that team - like most of humankind.

Yep. ‘Good player’ is high praise, considering. It’s about as much as I can manage.

I couldn’t stand them either. I’ve been to two FA Cup finals not involving Arsenal. The 1975 West Ham vs Fulham one, in which I supported Fulham. And the 1970 final at Wembley, Chelsea vs Leeds. It was a 2-2 draw and I didn’t go to the replay.

I actually wanted Chelsea to win, and I have never had any affinity with them whatsoever. By which I mean they were only my second ‘least favourite’ London club because of Tottenham.

Despite that, at the time I actually wanted Chelsea to win the 1970 final, because of who they were playing. How times change!

Post #517007  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:
Good player.

I couldn’t stand them either. I’ve been to two FA Cup finals not involving Arsenal. The 1975 West Ham vs Fulham one, in which I supported Fulham. And the 1970 final at Wembley, Chelsea vs Leeds. It was a 2-2 draw and I didn’t go to the replay.

I actually wanted Chelsea to win, and I have never had any affinity with them whatsoever. By which I mean they were only my second ‘least favourite’ London club because of Tottenham.

Despite that, at the time I actually wanted Chelsea to win the 1970 final, because of who they were playing. How times change!

Actually I’d probably still prefer for Chelsea to beat Leeds in a cup final. Just never got over the club including when O’Leary was with them .

Post #517008  Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:01 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Actually I’d probably still prefer for Chelsea to beat Leeds in a cup final. Just never got over the club including when O’Leary was with them .

With all that’s been said, and I understand the hatred,the Leeds team is still in my top 3 best ever domestic teams… with our invincibles and the Liverpool team with Souness Rush Dalgleish et al. I’m hard pressed to put them in order. These three are the best I’ve ever seen...even above the great Utd teams (Best Law and Charlton version and the treble winners) or current Man C team who are on course for a four timer

Post #517009  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:54 am 

Andy Green wrote:
With all that’s been said, and I understand the hatred,the Leeds team is still in my top 3 best ever domestic teams… with our invincibles and the Liverpool team with Souness Rush Dalgleish et al. I’m hard pressed to put them in order. These three are the best I’ve ever seen...even above the great Utd teams (Best Law and Charlton version and the treble winners) or current Man C team who are on course for a four timer

They were so good I still remember their team. Goalkeeper: Sprake, Right Back: Reaney, Left Back: Cooper, Central Defence: Charlton and Hunter, Right Midfield: Lorimer, Left Midfield: Gray, Central Midfield: Bremner and Giles, Forwards: Jones and Clark. Madely was the adaptable fill in for various defensive positions.

Post #517010  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:11 am 

Andy Green wrote:

The first hard core Leeds fan I met was in the British pub in LA. And I recall him saying "That Revie side could play any type of football you wanted. If you came to put the boot in, we had no problem with it, even relished it, but if you came to play proper football, we excelled at that too."

For the most part, that's been confirmed by most fans. They were hated, loathed but undeniably good. From what I gather from Leeds fan, the club thought the London and other southern sides were a bit soft so perhaps they started a bit more physical admittedly.

Post #517011  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:13 am 

...oh, forgot to mention, I recall him remembering that when they played Liverpool it was great football on both sides but when they played Man Utd they were out to hurt each other. Not sure how much of that is his view or how it actually was.

Post #517012  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:44 am 

Almost posted a few weeks ago when Shrewsbury game mentioned from GG years. Went to that game and sat next to Nigel Winterburn’s parents. They were so nice and even shared their home made fruit cake with me and mate. They told us that Nige wasn’t that passionate bout football as a kid - funny how that turned out! What a player.

Always wondered which current player’s parents would do the same.

Next post in 2022![/quote]

What makes this forum uniquely special are these types of stories. Can't find them anywhere else really.[/quote]

I’m breaking my once a year pattern but glad you enjoyed the post AG.

I think those GG era away days were the best - always took thousands away and it was ( usually) good natured fun, taking the piss out of the locals. So many great memories. Did a Tuesday night to Anfield for a league cup tie which ended 2-2. We totally outplayed them and it was one of the games when there were big clues about the glory coming round the corner and the decline of Liverpool. For me that was one of the greatest and most important games seen over the many years of following this great club. Have still got the ticket stub, programme and press cuttings.
Also memorable for the pre game fun:someone somehow got a ghetto blaster into the ground and a mini acid house style rave drowned out the house PA with a mass of floppy haired Gooners giving it large in the corner. The faces of the pinch faced scouse old men staring at them from the next stand was memorable.

Post #517013  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:50 am 

Interesting that some of you have long memories when it comes to Leeds and their implosion and rise from the ashes like a Phoenix isn't enough. They have been chastened. But then again, I didn't have to put up with them as a gooner n the early 70s.

To be fair, if Man Utd imploded, I'd still hate them. Same with Chelsea, Tottenham. Hmm..who else? Any club fat Sam is managing. I still feel a wee bit anti Bolton, all due to fat Sam being there.

I'm happy for West Ham and their manager, good guy. I hope Palace gets better. I have a soft spot for them. Whenever there are clips of the '90 FA cup I will them to beat Man Utd. Had they won, its rumored Fergie would have been sacked.

I would love to see the alternate universe of no Fergie at Man Utd after '90. They would still be good but how good?

Post #517014  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:58 am 

Yellowquadrant wrote:

I think those GG era away days were the best - always took thousands away and it was ( usually) good natured fun, taking the piss out of the locals. So many great memories. Did a Tuesday night to Anfield for a league cup tie which ended 2-2. We totally outplayed them and it was one of the games when there were big clues about the glory coming round the corner and the decline of Liverpool. For me that was one of the greatest and most important games seen over the many years of following this great club. Have still got the ticket stub, programme and press cuttings.
Also memorable for the pre game fun:someone somehow got a ghetto blaster into the ground and a mini acid house style rave drowned out the house PA with a mass of floppy haired Gooners giving it large in the corner. The faces of the pinch faced scouse old men staring at them from the next stand was memorable.

Haha..great stuff!! From what I hear about Liverpool, you guys were brave.

Post #517015  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:58 am 

Almost posted a few weeks ago when Shrewsbury game mentioned from GG years. Went to that game and sat next to Nigel Winterburn’s parents. They were so nice and even shared their home made fruit cake with me and mate. They told us that Nige wasn’t that passionate bout football as a kid - funny how that turned out! What a player.

Always wondered which current player’s parents would do the same.

Next post in 2022![/quote]
If you read the forum every day, was that a 0-1 win at Shrewsbury in the League Cup when Michael Thomas scored? I also went to that with a couple of friends and my wife to be (it must have been before I married her). One of the more puzzling away games we decided to attend. The only reason I can think of was us not having been to an away game at Shrewsbury before - or since as it’s turned out.[/quote]

Me again - can’t stop! Waiting for missus to wake up before early morning walk on Hackney Marshes.

Yes it was that game and I share your uncertainty about why I went - probably because I just enjoyed those trips so much that I would go anywhere in those days. Stopped off at a couple of places on way up including some Roman remains ( don’t ask). Remember a fairly dull game, a long drive back & feeling shattered the next day. But desperate to tell the Winterburn story ( as I still am!).

Post #517016  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:00 am 

God willing I'd like to spend several weeks going from the south coast to Geordie country (throw in Scotland as well and make it even further north) and just see football matches, all conferences. In fact, I'd prefer the small clubs.

Post #517017  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:04 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Yellowquadrant wrote:

Yeah, getting back to the car was nerve wracking. And remember relief seeing that the wheels were still on it having turned down the ‘kind’ offer to pay £5 before the game for a couple of urchins to look after it. I have no idea what I would have done if we had got stuck in a Liverpool side street at 10.30pm with about a pound left in my pocket.

Post #517018  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:49 am 

Yellowquadrant wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Yeah, getting back to the car was nerve wracking. And remember relief seeing that the wheels were still on it having turned down the ‘kind’ offer to pay £5 before the game for a couple of urchins to look after it. I have no idea what I would have done if we had got stuck in a Liverpool side street at 10.30pm with about a pound left in my pocket.

A fiver!!!! The going rate for ‘protected’ on street parking in Manchester and Liverpool in the early seventies was a quid. Well worth paying.

Post #517019  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:11 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Yellowquadrant wrote:

A fiver!!!! The going rate for ‘protected’ on street parking in Manchester and Liverpool in the early seventies was a quid. Well worth paying.

The greedy so and so’s. Glad I took the risk and didn’t pay. £1 - bargain! But it was 1988 so gotta allow for inflation.
Always thought that the car protection scam was a northern urban myth / stereotype thing until that day. When it happened other times after that, I always said I would pay after the game. No one ever came to collect. Putting on that posh / sincere voice and speaking slowly always worked.
I

Post #517020  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:07 am 

This is what we did in Philly. If there was no parking for a club, and we had to park on the street, we'd go to a homeless person nearby and rip a $20 bill in half and say "you get the other half if you watch the car. Any problems you can't handle come get us at the club, tell the bouncer".

Post #517021  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:08 am 

I'm assuming 5 quid was a fair amount of money for such work in those days? LOL...you guys are hilarious.

Post #517022  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:13 am 

I think this summer's transfer window will be fascinating for a lot of clubs.
This list below shows all the U23 players with only 1 year left on their deal this summer. Of course some may sign new deals with their clubs but if they can't reach an agreement these clubs will surely want to sell and these players will be available at knock down rates.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/transfe ... 0&yt0=Show

Post #517023  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:14 am 

I've been told the worst area of Liverpool is Toxteth.

Worst place to get stuck outside London?

Leeds

Liverpool

Manchester

other________

Post #517024  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:18 am 

In the old days you didn't go to Yankee stadium unless you traveled with the crowd. The south Bronx was no church picnic (still isn't). Philly has possibly the worse reputation in pro sports. At least in the 'old days'. Philly was the first sports arena to have a jail inside it. The bathroom at the baseball and ice hockey games had fights regularly. But even so, I'd take that over what I heard about the hooliganism and traveling to away grounds.

Post #517025  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:00 am 

The most scared that I’ve ever been was when Arsenal played away at Hillsborough (not long before the disaster there).

All of the stand emptied into one long corridor that ran the length of the ground with the exit being at the end. It was congested to say the least. Then some Arsenal supporters started a charge along that corridor. Really frightening.

In a different vein getting away from the old Wembley was a congested nightmare. An absolute crush. I did one experiment by lifting both feet off the ground and found, as I expected, that I still kept moving forward in the crush. I quickly put them back down again though because to have dropped down to the floor would have been fatal.

Post #517026  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:24 am 

long time gooner wrote:
In a different vein getting away from the old Wembley was a congested nightmare. An absolute crush. I did one experiment by lifting both feet off the ground and found, as I expected, that I still kept moving forward in the crush. I quickly put them back down again though because to have dropped down to the floor would have been fatal.

Getting away from the old Wembley could be bad. Don’t know if you noticed that post I did not that long ago about my dad taking me to an England Scotland game when I was a small boy. Drunken jocks galore making it much worse. It was when a Scotsman helped my dad get me away safely, firmly telling his rowdy compatriots around us to behave themselves because of me, or they’d have him to answer to.

It was him who gave me my affinity with Rangers as after we’d got clear, my dad thanked him and asked who he supported. He said ‘Glasgea Rangers’.

Post #517027  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:46 am 

long time gooner wrote:
The most scared that I’ve ever been was when Arsenal played away at Hillsborough (not long before the disaster there).

All of the stand emptied into one long corridor that ran the length of the ground with the exit being at the end. It was congested to say the least. Then some Arsenal supporters started a charge along that corridor. Really frightening.

Also as well as being congested at Wembley there was nowhere to hide if it kicked off like before the 91 semi with Middlesex outside the ground Literally couldn’t run. Was lucky to escape with my balls intact.

The new Wembley is still bad Due to congestion and if you get a coach there expect to wait 80 minutes after the game before you even get moving

Post #517028  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:08 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I've been told the worst area of Liverpool is Toxteth.

Worst place to get stuck outside London?

Leeds

Liverpool

Manchester

other________

Depends on what you mean specifically but anyone can get their bollocks kicked in at the football. I saw one Arsenal fan battering another at half time in the east stand over some disagreement

For crime generally I wouldn’t look much further than Liverpool or Manchester where drugs and serious crime are more rife. Both cracking cities for a night out but your aware it simmers away in the background

Just transporting some of these criminals up north involves the police putting on such a display of sheer force to deter their cohorts

https://youtu.be/BlaueODQjNw

Post #517029  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:29 am 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/aurelien- ... ler/413112
Another young French defensive midfielder earning rave reviews at the moment

Post #517030  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Also as well as being congested at Wembley there was nowhere to hide if it kicked off like before the 91 semi with Middlesex outside the ground Literally couldn’t run. Was lucky to escape with my balls intact.

Do you mean the Tottenham fans were outside the ground or Arsenal’s, as Highbury used to be in Middlesex too? Or do you call us Kent, the county Woolwich was in until 1889, as the club was formed in 1886?

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20306

Post #517031  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
...Utterly ridiculous nonsense and the teeth nashing on display when he misses a chance is pathetic (and I’m aware they were 2 shocking misses yesterday)
Must say I agree with you. He is a high class striker, worthy of his salary and allowed to have his off moments. Being late as captain in a NLD was silly, but for those who want to see a long queue, ask Arsenal to put him on the transfer list.

Post #517032  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:24 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Yes, it was a great team, but always tainted by their gamesmanship and occasional violence. Revie was a pioneering player, and then manager. When he changed Leeds' kit to emulate Real Madrid, he also adopted some of the more cynical practices of the European teams, though to his credit not diving. While there always had been tough teams in English football, Revie's Leeds went beyond that. When they concentrated on football they were superb.

Heresy I know, but Spurs' Double team, later supplemented by Jimmy Greaves and Alan Gilzean, was a phenomenal side.

Post #517033  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:41 pm 

omoh! Our departed member, Mee, is looking down on you now and I don't have to say what his demeanor is.

Post #517034  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:43 pm 

One of the most surreal things as an American going to a game was not seeing the opposition fans until I was in my seat. I recall not seeing any (visible) Liverpool fans as I was getting out of the underground, walking to the game, going in, not at the concession stand or the bathrooms. I almost wondered if they had even turned up.

Post #517035  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:14 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/Arsenal/videos/433102064619488

Post #517036  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Depends on what you mean specifically but anyone can get their bollocks kicked in at the football. I saw one Arsenal fan battering another at half time in the east stand over some disagreement

Probably two forumites. :15laughter:

Post #517037  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 pm 

Arsenal: Leno, Chambers, Luiz, Mari, Tierney, Xhaka, Partey, Ødegaard, Saka, Aubameyang, Lacazette

Subs: Ryan, Cédric, Holding, Gabriel, Elneny, Ceballos, Smith Rowe, Pépé, Martinelli

I'd have preferred Cédric over Chambers. The one big area Chambers worries me is 1v1 against pace and trickery. He's up against Bowen or Benrahma today

Post #517038  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:06 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Probably two forumites. :15laughter:

I make you right LTG :58big-emoticons:

100% :laughing7:

Post #517039  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal: Leno, Chambers, Luiz, Mari, Tierney, Xhaka, Partey, Ødegaard, Saka, Aubameyang, Lacazette

Subs: Ryan, Cédric, Holding, Gabriel, Elneny, Ceballos, Smith Rowe, Pépé, Martinelli

I'd have preferred Cédric over Chambers. The one big area Chambers worries me is 1v1 against pace and trickery. He's up against Bowen or Benrahma today

Good decisions there Mikel. Lacazette and Aubameyang the right choice

Chambers was good last game (I really hope we don’t sell him)

Post #517040  Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Good decisions there Mikel. Lacazette and Aubameyang the right choice

I would have preferred Pépé with Aubameyang in the middle. But its a close call.

[ 563336 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12923, 12924, 12925, 12926, 12927, 12928, 12929 ... 14084  Next