Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Decaf, john1, mcquilkie, Rich, warrior and 284 guests

Post #516201  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:14 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:

Don't do it to yourself, Rich. I made that mistake last season.

City are a machine with incredible strength in depth and somehow seem to have all their big players fit when it comes to the business end of the season. Even Haaland and De Bruyne being out made little difference and now they are both back look out. No one is stopping them bar some sort of unprecedented injury crisis.

We beat Liverpool, which was fantastic, but we still had to rely on two massive Liverpool errors to get us the goals to win it.

Somehow we need to become more ruthless and more clinical, and rotate more where we can, otherwise every game in the run-in becomes a slog, physically and emotionally draining.

Killing teams off when on top allows for better energy conservation and better use of substitutes but we don't have that killer instinct. It cost us last season and it will likely do so again this season. We lost the Liverpool cup tie because we couldn't finish our chances.

As an example, the Havertz attempted finish when put through on goal was actually very poor but we got lucky with the rebound that fell to Saka. We have to be more clinical in those kinds of situations because you can't expect to get lots of big chances in every game, especially against the top sides.

Just rewinding to last season, one other factor was we came apart when Saliba was injured. What have we done this season to cover such eventuality. Frankly I don't believe we have a plan. Maybe I have missed our plan B .

Holding replacing Saliba last season was a big blow, especially considering Holding cant even get a game for Palace this season. I still worry if Saliba or Gabriel are out for a while but last season's injury to Saliba also coincided with an injury to Tomiyasu meaning White couldn't shift in to central defence. At the time Arteta didn't fully trust Kiwior I feel as well, only bringing him in as a right CB in the last few games when the title was gone.
This season is Saliba gets injured its White to CB and Tomiyasu at RB. if Gabriel gets injured its either White in there (Saliba to left CB as the opening 3 games of this season) or Kiwior comes in as a direct replacement. Give it 6-8 weeks and we might be able to consider Timber for minutes also. We're not perfect but I think we're better set than last season. Even Partey coming back gives an emergency right back option and Tomiyasu can play CB. With partey at RB we can still play midfields of Jorginho/Rice/Havertz/Emile Smith Rowe/Ødegaard/Vieira/Trossard............Elneny!

Post #516202  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:17 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
I started to look at the run ins of us, city and Liverpool and was struck by how straight forward City’s looks…..again. I get that everyone plays everyone twice so an easy run in means you had it harder somewhere else, but there are good and bad times to have your fixtures, and easier fixtures when the pressure is on and you’re likely cramming those fixtures in due to cup games and postponements is definitely favourable!

Anyway, I had a perception that City always get an easy run in but needed to test that in case it was just my perception because they always steamroller wins in the home straight.

If you take the toughest 5 games of the season as away to the fellow big 6 sides then in the last 7 seasons City have had to go away to a big 6 side only 4 times in their final 10 games. So 4 in 70 games. By contrast Arsenal have had to go away to a big 6 side 14 times, including 3 times this season.

We have a tough run in again so we need to make the most of our next 6 before we play City, if we want to win the title it feels like we need to win all 6. No slip ups at all

Don't do it to yourself, Rich. I made that mistake last season.

City are a machine with incredible strength in depth and somehow seem to have all their big players fit when it comes to the business end of the season. Even Haaland and De Bruyne being out made little difference and now they are both back look out. No one is stopping them bar some sort of unprecedented injury crisis.

We beat Liverpool, which was fantastic, but we still had to rely on two massive Liverpool errors to get us the goals to win it.

Somehow we need to become more ruthless and more clinical, and rotate more where we can, otherwise every game in the run-in becomes a slog, physically and emotionally draining.

Killing teams off when on top allows for better energy conservation and better use of substitutes but we don't have that killer instinct. It cost us last season and it will likely do so again this season. We lost the Liverpool cup tie because we couldn't finish our chances.

As an example, the Havertz attempted finish when put through on goal was actually very poor but we got lucky with the rebound that fell to Saka. We have to be more clinical in those kinds of situations because you can't expect to get lots of big chances in every game, especially against the top sides.

Agree with all this, but part of being a fan is dreaming of what could be. Everyone expects City to win it. Their bench in the last game had 8 top class players. They've proven that injuries don't really affect them so we need players to go off the boil.
I actually think we're better defensively as them - they're more than capable of the type of defensive lapse we criticise Arsenal for. The difference is the ruthlessness in front of goal and the ability of a number of their players to unpick the lock.
Feels like we'll need to beat them at The Etihad - but if we can get our best team on the pitch I think we're far better prepared to be able to do that this season

Post #516203  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:37 am 

Don’t do it to yourselves. Enjoy the season for what it is, we have a good team but we aren’t winning a title. To achieve that we need an obsessive striker or player in the final third who can nick us goal when we aren’t playing well or don’t look like scoring. We just don’t have that. Feels like everyone needs to be on their game for us to win,

Table is a false economy. City will win it again. We have a good chance of 2nd or third which in my eyes would be continued and sustained progress.

Hopefully can have some fun in the champions league

Post #516204  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:43 am 

I do wonder if it would be worth letting Gabby Jesus take our penalties every once in a while. Would bump his figures up and give him more confidence in front of goal. Would make his goal record get scrutinised less

Post #516205  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:39 am 

There was a moment in the second half when Van Dijk and I think Kiwior both ended up on the ground and as Van Dijk got up he appeared to slyly knee Kiwior several times in the body. I haven’t seen any reference to this since. Did anyone else see this or was I just hallucinating (again)?

Post #516206  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:02 am 

grantyboy wrote:
P.s. isn’t it such a nice change to go into big games and know that we’ve got a chance and not just resigned to getting killed.

That's the difference. If we are in decent form and don't have major injuries, we can go toe to toe with any time, even against City at their place.

We've dropped too many points against lesser opposition--or at least in games we dominated.

In these games, we've sometimes seem a bit too reliant on having an excellent start and seem over-anxious to score.

City are very good at steamrolling teams in the 2nd half.

Post #516207  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:05 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I do wonder if it would be worth letting Gabby Jesus take our penalties every once in a while. Would bump his figures up and give him more confidence in front of goal. Would make his goal record get scrutinised less

Assuming he didn't miss. What's his record like? I'm always in favour of the striker taking penalties unless there is a compelling reason not to.

Edit: his record seems to be 6 scored and 7 missed :20hospitals:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.za/gabriel ... ler/363205

Post #516208  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Don’t do it to yourselves. Enjoy the season for what it is, we have a good team but we aren’t winning a title. To achieve that we need an obsessive striker or player in the final third who can nick us goal when we aren’t playing well or don’t look like scoring. We just don’t have that. Feels like everyone needs to be on their game for us to win,

Table is a false economy. City will win it again. We have a good chance of 2nd or third which in my eyes would be continued and sustained progress.

Yes, it's just so hard to see City dropping enough points to give us a sniff.

So, lowered expectations ... and if we do achieve a miracle then we can enjoy it all the more.

Champions League is another story.

Post #516209  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:38 pm 

Who's bigger? Arsenal or Chelsea.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xPg3j2glmrk

Post #516210  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:08 pm 

Bored wrote:
There was a moment in the second half when Van Dijk and I think Kiwior both ended up on the ground and as Van Dijk got up he appeared to slyly knee Kiwior several times in the body. I haven’t seen any reference to this since. Did anyone else see this or was I just hallucinating (again)?

Saw it too. He kicked him in the head and made it look "accidental".

Post #516211  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:24 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Blessed are the peacemakers… so here goes
Guys …in the spirit of Steve let’s keep it civil
We are all gooners albeit from different walks of life different upbringings different ages different socio economic groups …… as the French would say let’s vive la difference
Vigorous debate yes veiled threats no
Disagreee yes disrespect no
All you need is love

You have a good heart. Are you sure you lived all those years in Philly and remained so? But good luck with that with this bunch. lol. I've pretty much tuned out all the 'noise' (thank god for the foe button).

Anyway, I was back in Philly a couple weeks ago visiting my mother. It was cold, dreary and looks 'gritty'. 95% of the people seem like they are just trying to make it home praying someone crazy doesn't spoil it.

I flew into JFK and took the train down. Even New York looks happier than Philly.

Post #516212  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:34 pm 

I was looking at our resilience late in games, I went back over the last 2 and a half seasons and found 40 instances in the league where we were either drawing or winning a game by a single goal going in to the final 10 minutes of the game and we have only ended up losing points due to a goal scored by our opponents in the final 10 minutes + injury time on 4 occasions.
21/22 Everton (a) Lost 2-1 when Gray scored the last minute thunderbolt
21/22 Man C (h) Lost 2-1 Rodri last minute winner
22/23 Liverpool (a) drew 2-2 Firminho 87th minute equaliser
23/24 Fulham (h) drew 2-2 Palhinha 87th minute equaliser

When you see the pressure teams can be put under by any team in the league when they're only a single goal ahead it is quite a remarkable stat and shows that the supposed weak mentality and soft underbelly of Arsenal has well and truly gone.

Nowadays I feel much more secure when we defend a goal lead late in games.

Post #516213  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:37 pm 

Bored wrote:

Yes I saw that, sky did show a few replays of it and suggested van dijk knew what he was doing.

I was almost mildly irked in the very last seconds the ref gave a handball against us when it hit our player clearly in the chest and the pass had already been played through to Trossard who was clean through for number 4!

Post #516214  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Good idea if his record wasn't very poor. 13 taken, 6 scored and 7 missed!
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gabriel ... ler/363205

Post #516215  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I get it, its the hope that kills you. But surely its also the hope that excites you also.

The key for City is Rodri - he's the one player I'd take out of their team given the choice. Rodri has only missed 344 minutes of league football this season
3 x 90 minutes
1 x 45 minute due to a sending off
and 3 early subs in easily won games
Those 3 90 minutes he missed are the 3 games City have lost in the league this season

Post #516216  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:37 pm 

While I don't think it will be easy given its a fairly big London derby, I do think we will beat West Ham somewhat convincingly. I'm guessing...hmm....2-1 after being up 2-0 or 1-0 but control the game. The win against Liverpool has the boys thinking title race. Then there is the matter of being embarrassed at home by them and wanting to set things right with themselves and the fans.

Post #516217  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:46 pm 

Marquinhos has joined Fluminese on loan - option to buy at the end of the season. Low risk transfer will probably be a low fee if it happens

Post #516218  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:48 pm 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... es-FC.html

Lloris offered 'golden handshake' of £2m by Spurs when he left in the summer. In other words they paid up the remainder of his contract to get him off the books

Post #516219  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:19 pm 

Villa v Chelsea cup replay tonight. It would suit us for Villa to win. That way our game v Chelsea in a few weeks won’t get postponed with the other games. I’d rather get the games done as scheduled then have a backlog.

Post #516220  Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:02 pm 

I like it when fans put up their in/out transfer wish list. Always without fail they underprice the cost of the signings they want and think they'd get loads for the players they want to get rid of.

I've just seen a spurs fan say that they should get £30m for Hojberg, £20m for Bryan Gil, £15m for Spence and £10m for Reguillon!

I think they'd be lucky to get £25m for the lot

Post #516221  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:57 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just rewinding to last season, one other factor was we came apart when Saliba was injured. What have we done this season to cover such eventuality. Frankly I don't believe we have a plan. Maybe I have missed our plan B .

Holding replacing Saliba last season was a big blow, especially considering Holding cant even get a game for Palace this season. I still worry if Saliba or Gabriel are out for a while but last season's injury to Saliba also coincided with an injury to Tomiyasu meaning White couldn't shift in to central defence. At the time Arteta didn't fully trust Kiwior I feel as well, only bringing him in as a right CB in the last few games when the title was gone.
This season is Saliba gets injured its White to CB and Tomiyasu at RB. if Gabriel gets injured its either White in there (Saliba to left CB as the opening 3 games of this season) or Kiwior comes in as a direct replacement. Give it 6-8 weeks and we might be able to consider Timber for minutes also. We're not perfect but I think we're better set than last season. Even Partey coming back gives an emergency right back option and Tomiyasu can play CB. With partey at RB we can still play midfields of Jorginho/Rice/Havertz/Emile Smith Rowe/Ødegaard/Vieira/Trossard............Elneny!

Fingers crossed

Post #516222  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:34 am 

Rich wrote:
Marquinhos has joined Fluminese on loan - option to buy at the end of the season. Low risk transfer will probably be a low fee if it happens

Not good enough for us then

Post #516223  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:48 pm 

Was listening to a Man Utd supporters youtube channel and she made some good points I didn't think about but knew subconsciously. We struggle against sides that park the bus. And the reason why we have a great record recently against the big sides is they come at us and play a fairly high line. I'm thinking 'duh' but never thought about it much.

She actually picks us to win the CL because of that. We do well against the top sides because they are more attacking and the CL suits us in the later rounds if we are up against top sides.

Post #516224  Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:42 pm 

anyone see Keir Starmer around block 133 sunday.

smaller than he looks on the telly

Post #516225  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:06 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Was listening to a Man Utd supporters youtube channel and she made some good points I didn't think about but knew subconsciously. We struggle against sides that park the bus. And the reason why we have a great record recently against the big sides is they come at us and play a fairly high line. I'm thinking 'duh' but never thought about it much.

She actually picks us to win the CL because of that. We do well against the top sides because they are more attacking and the CL suits us in the later rounds if we are up against top sides.

Yep, teams that have generally tried to attack us and take us on have been usually beaten. Our gk and defensive players bait the press then beat the press. Look how often Rice waits until the opponent is all but committed to try to tackle or intercept before he passes the ball. Lots of our players put their foot on the ball as they wait to be closed down.

Post #516226  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:10 am 

We’ve had two subs combine for a goal 6 times this season - a premier league record

Attachments:

Post #516227  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:14 am 

Last season Ramsdale caught about 5% of crosses in to our box. This season Raya is catching 15% of crosses in to our box.

He’s getting far more comfortable in the team, the players know his game more and he them. The fast breaks from his catches aren’t a coincidence- our forwards are anticipating it and are on their way already

Post #516228  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:32 am 

Have you seen all the talk of blue cards etc. they can’t even get the red or yellow right now let alone giving a further decision, maybe it should only apply to non binary individuals.

Post #516229  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
anyone see Keir Starmer around block 133 sunday.

smaller than he looks on the telly

Not on Sunday but I've seen him there a few times. I'm in 133. Darren too.

Post #516230  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:44 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Have you seen all the talk of blue cards etc. they can’t even get the red or yellow right now let alone giving a further decision, maybe it should only apply to non binary individuals.

Yep - that's the answer. If all else fails, invent a new rule.

So what happens if a goalie yaps back at the Ref?

Post #516231  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:40 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Yep, teams that have generally tried to attack us and take us on have been usually beaten. Our gk and defensive players bait the press then beat the press. Look how often Rice waits until the opponent is all but committed to try to tackle or intercept before he passes the ball. Lots of our players put their foot on the ball as they wait to be closed down.

The Liverpool apologists were trying to blame Liverpool's missing forwards for their tentative display. I think that is not giving us enough credit. I can only think of a couple of games this season where we've been under the cosh for sustained periods. We're really good off the ball and on transitions/beating the press, which means that teams need to be very careful about throwing players forward. Of course, this is only when we are not being tentative, which has occasionally been a problem.

We are actually not that bad against a low block either. It looks laboured and/or profligate but we generally do score if teams try to park the bus.

Post #516232  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:49 am 

Ødegaard has created more chances from open play than any other player in Europe's top 5 leagues this season

Post #516233  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:55 am 

DHD wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

The idea of a sin-bin is a really good one. But the blue card does seem to be too complicated. Why not just have a sin bin for yellows? If a goalie gets one, allow the team to make a temporary substitution of another player for the reserve goalie. Rugby union does that with front row player so why not?

Similarly with injuries. Get a temporary replacement on while the player is being treated/assessed rather than hold everything up for 5 minutes.

Post #516234  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:59 am 

Rich wrote:
Ødegaard has created more chances from open play than any other player in Europe's top 5 leagues this season

That's very interesting. I've thought he's been excellent barring a few lean spells, but somewhat under the radar because we're not capitalising on his good work.

Post #516235  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:04 pm 

Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones on Mikel Arteta's fist pump celebration:

"The gaffer [Klopp], the way he fist pumps the crowd, that’s kind of our thing.

"If they want to be stealing our stuff, it shows we’re on the right path if they’re copying us.

"They can have their moment and stuff, but there’s a long way to go,"

This has got crazy. Fundamentally everyone is missing the point. The question being asked to everyone by the media is ‘what do you think of arsenals over celebration’ getting people to decide if they think people should be allowed to celebrate as they want or should calm it down. How about asking whether the celebrations were considered OTT in the first place?? For me they were no different than what plenty of players and managers do every week in this league.

You can tell we’ve got people rattled when Jones is getting salty over a perceived fist pump from Arteta which is apparently patented by Klopp. And that even if it was true that Arteta was purposely copying Klopp’s celebration that that is evidence that Liverpool club are on the path to greatness because of us copying their managers celebration.

Just stop talking guys

Post #516236  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones on Mikel Arteta's fist pump celebration:

"The gaffer [Klopp], the way he fist pumps the crowd, that’s kind of our thing.

"If they want to be stealing our stuff, it shows we’re on the right path if they’re copying us.

"They can have their moment and stuff, but there’s a long way to go,"

This has got crazy. Fundamentally everyone is missing the point. The question being asked to everyone by the media is ‘what do you think of arsenals over celebration’ getting people to decide if they think people should be allowed to celebrate as they want or should calm it down. How about asking whether the celebrations were considered OTT in the first place?? For me they were no different than what plenty of players and managers do every week in this league.

You can tell we’ve got people rattled when Jones is getting salty over a perceived fist pump from Arteta which is apparently patented by Klopp. And that even if it was true that Arteta was purposely copying Klopp’s celebration that that is evidence that Liverpool club are on the path to greatness because of us copying their managers celebration.

Just stop talking guys

They're just feeding the trolls (if that is the right expression).

It's breathtakingly stupid and/or arrogant to try to patent the fist pump as Scouse. Its being done by a German, and is in any case is an old American sporting celebration. Jimmy Connors comes to mind for some reason.

Post #516237  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:50 pm 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

The idea of a sin-bin is a really good one. But the blue card does seem to be too complicated. Why not just have a sin bin for yellows? If a goalie gets one, allow the team to make a temporary substitution of another player for the reserve goalie. Rugby union does that with front row player so why not?

Similarly with injuries. Get a temporary replacement on while the player is being treated/assessed rather than hold everything up for 5 minutes.

I'm not sold on the blue-card idea. Isn't it just another completely subjective decision that refs will be totally unable to be consistent on so will just be another way of diluting the game. Will there be var checks for blue cards?
Sin bins for yellow feels too much. Yellow cards can be given for the most innocuous of things all the way up to the most redish coloured yellow cards for really poor fouls.
What I'd advocate for is refs simply properly clamping down on the very things that they say will come under the blue card. For much of this I think you need to be able to understand the mindset of the footballer to see what is a deliberate cynical ploy and instantly punish those with yellows. Where rotational or persistent fouling is in the game, spot it early and give a final warning that really means a final warning even if the next foul is weak bring our the yellow on the basis of the 2-3 that went before. If a particular player is being targeted warn the captain that the next foul on that player by ANY player will be a yellow (that follows the way Rugby refs work). Stop having higher thresholds for 2nd yellow cards over and above 1st yellow cards and allow var to review 2nd yellow cards because they have just as much impact on the game as straight red cards which they do review. Footballers have an inbuilt instinct to try to cheat and pinch and gain any advantage they can, moving a ball on a free kick, gaining yards on a throw in - these things rarely have a direct impact but its an ego thing that the player has got away with it, any advantage they can get. The throw in thing winds me up, almost exclusively when the defending team have a throw right by their corner flag it will always get taken 10 yards up the pitch. Refs just tell them where the mark is and that's where the throw is taken from......I could go on

Post #516238  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:00 pm 

The whole blue card nonsense is a terrible idea.

Post #516239  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:11 pm 

Was I wrong about Havertz?

Post #516240  Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:48 pm 

Just as I said before people are showing Carragher up for his awful take on our celebrations and his only response is to turn it round to claim others are obsessed with it or him. It’s a classic tactic when you’ve lost the argument is to change the focus and gaslight others or make out as though you were never serious about your opinion and so those having a go at you have just taken your bait and have been shown up to be stupid by taking him too seriously

Attachments:

[ 518931 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12903, 12904, 12905, 12906, 12907, 12908, 12909 ... 12974  Next