Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Decaf and 278 guests

Post #509921  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
We don’t and anyone saying we do couldn’t have seen the performance Barkley and Grealish provided yesterday.

Also Ramsey was an 8 not a number 10 so the comparison is with ceballos or Xhaka and not Özil. He scored winning goals and set up winning goals. Compared to our current midfield crop of El Nenny, Xhaka and cebackpass then then he’s a Liam Brady type Jedi master creator. Without partey on the pitch we have nobody slick on the ball in the middle of the pitch.

I bet Barkley wouldn’t ‘t create any more than Ceballos if he joined Arsenal. I still think you’re missing the point that if you want Arsenal to have more creativity, you’d spend your time better by moaning about our style of play than the current players.

Post #509922  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:19 pm 

This summer Arsenal had a squad with a decent GK, 2 decent full-backs, arguably no CB worthy of where we want to be, against arguably no CM worthy of where we want to be and one elite striker. That's 4 players.

The situation was so bad in central defence and central midfield that it was felt necessary to plug those gaps and cover those faults by playing a back 3 and having 2 holding midfielders tasked with protecting the defence.

The result of this meant huge gaps between midfield and attack and a struggle to get the ball forward quickly with any purpose.

We signed Gabriel and Partey, 2 players who should go some way to solving the issues above. Essentially signing top quality players who do the job of 2 players (relatively speaking) in order to free up the formation and get more attackers in to the squad. This brings us to 6 worthy first 11 players but with still gaps at CB, 2xCM and 2 forwards. We're also still playing quite defensive football even though we've signed these two players. There must now be a move to a 4-3-3 certainly in home games where we're expected to take the game to the opposition.

I don't know where that leaves us for this season or the upcoming transfer windows because we're seemingly skint and had to go cap in hand to Stan who apparently stumped up the cash for Partey.

Post #509923  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:23 pm 

Someone mentioned the most alert and energetic presence last night was Arteta on the sideline. He seemed to be directing pretty much every single pass and movement from the team. The point was made that he actually needs to loosen the reins. How can a professional footballer be expected to process all the information of the game whilst his manager is dictating his every move, putting him in a constant 2 minds between one he thinks he should do from his own instinct of time, space and players on the pitch vs what he manager is shouting.
Arteta - loosen the reins in both the formation, attacking intent and the micromanaging of detail.

Post #509924  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We don’t and anyone saying we do couldn’t have seen the performance Barkley and Grealish provided yesterday.

Also Ramsey was an 8 not a number 10 so the comparison is with ceballos or Xhaka and not Özil. He scored winning goals and set up winning goals. Compared to our current midfield crop of El Nenny, Xhaka and cebackpass then then he’s a Liam Brady type Jedi master creator. Without partey on the pitch we have nobody slick on the ball in the middle of the pitch.

I bet Barkley wouldn’t ‘t create any more than Ceballos if he joined Arsenal. I still think you’re missing the point that if you want Arsenal to have more creativity, you’d spend your time better by moaning about our style of play than the current players.

Really ? David Luiz scored more goals last year than Ceballos and Xhaka so yes I bet Barkley would.

It’s the players. Arteta plays 3 centre halves because he’s only got 1 decent one at the club and plays just 2 midfielders rather than 3 because he’s only got 1 decent midfielder at the club. Why do you think we are being linked with a spew of midfielders. The style is a product of the personnel

Post #509925  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:31 pm 

Plenty of views on the reasons for our problems, I'd say pretty much everything everyone has mentioned on here is true, it isn't 1 problem it is the culmination of a number of things.
Style of play
lack of quality players
static forward line
no natural creator
too defensive tactics
lack of pace in the team
lack of athleticism in the team
lack of shots
poor quality of finishing

Post #509926  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Really ? David Luiz scored more goals last year than Ceballos and Xhaka so yes I bet Barkley would.

Barkley scored 1 league goal for Chelsea last season.

Post #509927  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It’s the players. Arteta plays 3 centre halves because he’s only got 1 decent one at the club and plays just 2 midfielders rather than 3 because he’s only got 1 decent midfielder at the club. Why do you think we are being linked with a spew of midfielders. The style is a product of the personnel

Yeah really. I don’t think there’s much chance at all that Barkley would be any more creative than Ceballos if he joined Arsenal. You’ve yet again got yourself this bee in your bonnet that “It’s the players”. I suggest it has more to do with the style of play.

Post #509928  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
Plenty of views on the reasons for our problems, I'd say pretty much everything everyone has mentioned on here is true, it isn't 1 problem it is the culmination of a number of things.
Style of play
lack of quality players
static forward line
no natural creator
too defensive tactics
lack of pace in the team
lack of athleticism in the team
lack of shots
poor quality of finishing

Apart from that, all OK then....

Post #509929  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:16 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That’s one more than ceballos then!! and he was in and out of the side.

Post #509930  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah really. I don’t think there’s much chance at all that Barkley would be any more creative than Ceballos if he joined Arsenal. You’ve yet again got yourself this bee in your bonnet that “It’s the players”. I suggest it has more to do with the style of play.

So you wouldn't have swapped Barkley for Ceballos in the second half yesterday ?

Post #509931  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

So you wouldn't have swapped Barkley for Ceballos in the second half yesterday ?

Would you have swapped them in the FA Cup final?

Post #509932  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:39 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Would you have swapped them in the FA Cup final?

Yeah. Ceballos runs round in circles

Post #509933  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:41 pm 

If it’s true that all these players are world beaters being hindered by Artetas negative tactics then how can you explain partey and Gabriel. Come into the side and make it look instantly better. Football is about players and we have many not up to scratch. It’s not harsh on them to say this.

Post #509934  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:56 pm 

Who was the last player we signed from a premiership club who wasn't considered a cast off or a free transfer? Was it Calum Chambers? Before that it might have been Arteta himself!

I get the inflated price from buying inside the prem but you certainly tick one box with them being up to speed. Liverpool have had some great success with this.

Liverpool succeeded because they identified a way of playing and bought players to fit that style, they also gave their full backing to the boss. Even when Klopp had some woeful players he'd established the way he wanted to play, high tempo, high press. Often the players weren't good enough for it and they were moved on, the ones who were good enough stayed and others were bought it to fit the mould. Conversely this is the exact thing holding Man U back in the transfer market as they tend to go in search of the newest shiniest signing with no real plan of how to use them or how they fit in to the style - if there even is a style?

We're a bit between this. We don't/can't go for the brightest star as Man U do but we are or have been going for players who are available rather than ones that fit the ethos - Kolasinac, Cédric, Willian, Mari etc. Gabriel and Partey fit the profile, as does Martinelli.

Arteta needs to work out exactly how it is he wants to play football. I can't believe after 3 years under Pep that the way we are playing is the way he dreamt of setting teams up when he became a manager. It makes no sense. It seems a means to an end to stabalise things because he doesn't have the players to play how he wants. What Arteta needs to do is strike a balance because by not trusting the players at all (some may say understandably so) it is absolutely stifling the life out of us.

Post #509935  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:23 pm 

Goonie wrote:

We miss Ramsey. Emery's struggles began after we lost him to injury and then to Juventus. Our current CMs lack the attacking instinct of Ramsey, they do not make runs into the box.

Concur on Ramsay, his dynamism would be a godsend right now.

Post #509936  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If it’s true that all these players are world beaters being hindered by Artetas negative tactics then how can you explain partey and Gabriel. Come into the side and make it look instantly better. Football is about players and we have many not up to scratch. It’s not harsh on them to say this.

The truth as always lies somewhere in between. The players are rubbish and the tactics are rubbish.

Ive seen enough of certain Arsenal players to know that no matter who the coach, what the tactics are who they are surrounded by on the pitch they simply aren't going to be good enough for what we want to achieve. They aren't going to be able to dribble and beat a man, they can't ever take the ball on the half turn, or they won't get quicker. So if I had to choose better players or better more attacking tactics I'd choose better players every time!

Post #509937  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Looks like me shelling out for Box Office is the kiss of death. Home to Leicester and now this. :1cry:

Luckily for us they are doing away with it now :)

Post #509938  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:34 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Agree with what you are saying Dec, but having seen a couple of Villa games lately, he's forming a very good partnership with Grealish and looks a much better player than in recent seasons.

Post #509939  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:46 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Arteta needs to work out exactly how it is he wants to play football. I can't believe after 3 years under Pep that the way we are playing is the way he dreamt of setting teams up when he became a manager. It makes no sense. It seems a means to an end to stabalise things because he doesn't have the players to play how he wants. What Arteta needs to do is strike a balance because by not trusting the players at all (some may say understandably so) it is absolutely stifling the life out of us.

Same bunch of players against MU and Villa but vastly different outcomes. Partey getting injured didn't help but we struggled from the start. The early disallowed goal somehow took the confidence out of our players, exemplified by Tierney's comical slip minutes later.

We know Wenger would be patient and let the players figure out themselves. Wonder if Arteta would do the same or start chopping and changing again.

Wenger's approach to this was his undoing as soon as he lost those generals on the pitch who really could figure it out for themselves. Between 97-04 Wenger always had at least 6-7 natural, intelligent leaders on the pitch.

Post #509940  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:48 pm 

Rich wrote:
What Arteta needs to do is strike a balance because by not trusting the players at all (some may say understandably so) it is absolutely stifling the life out of us.

Yeah, this is an interesting point that has cropped up over the last 24 hours, I think mainly due to some comments from Gunnerblog that Arteta was practically directing every pass the players played in the game.

Have to say that up to now I've enjoyed Arteta's hands on approach to the game. It highlights that he is playing an active role in organising the team and getting his ideas across to the players. As a new coach, I can see the logic behind that and it's great to see a manager invested in his role. We've had some notable success of course since he came in; 2 trophies, wins over Liverpool and even this season I thought we performed well against Man City and deservedly won at Old Trafford - though I fear we may be overestimating that rare achievement given Utd look worse at Old Trafford currently than we do at the Emirates - which is saying something.

However, I don't think that directing every pass and micro managing on that level is a great approach to take at all. Even taking an example from my son's football, when the coach is on at you from the sideline and takes away spontaneity then some characters will retreat into shells and basically not enjoy their football. If this is the case, then I would agree with those who like to see him give the players some freedom to express themselves within his unnegotiables.

Arteta has done well so far, but he was never going to turn us into an elite side overnight and this season the quality bar in the Prem has arguably risen as Leicester, Villa, Saints and Everton at times have shown.

Piss poor last night though it has to be said, hopefully the next two weeks will see a re-think as we've got Leeds away next, reeling from 2 heavy defeats, and they will be up for it.

Post #509941  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:51 pm 

Probably the easiest thing to fix, before you even start with changing players and formation and tactics is just upping the tempo we play at right from the first whistle. I recall us playing Man U in Arteta's first win, and even at home to Chelsea - the pressing and tempo was frantic from the first minute, we swarmed all over them and the goals came through sheer force and weight of pressure. Against Chelsea we were gassed at 60 minutes and Jorginho took over (should have been sent off mind), but I've not seen that approach since. It is so much harder to up the tempo from a slow start than the other way round.
There have been times when we've seen the high press, CB following the forwards in to midfield and the likes of Xhaka pushing all the way in to attacking midfield to exercise the press. We can do it we just choose the slow method. Literally no one in world football is winning football matches with any regularity with the slow methodical passing in your own half approach.

Post #509942  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:09 pm 

Niall wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Looks like me shelling out for Box Office is the kiss of death. Home to Leicester and now this. :1cry:

Luckily for us they are doing away with it now :)

The Box Office or losing? ;-)

Post #509943  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:13 pm 

Niall wrote:
Piss poor last night though it has to be said, hopefully the next two weeks will see a re-think as we've got Leeds away next, reeling from 2 heavy defeats, and they will be up for it.

That will be interesting. This represents the most disappointing part for me. Villa had just shipped 7 goals to Leeds and Southampton and we barely laid a glove on them - they've shown their vulnerabilities in the previous 2 games. Leeds are the same, I think Liverpool, Leicester and Palace have all put 4 past them, Fulham managed to score 3. They have massive weaknesses keeping goals out of their net, but I expect us to toil away and struggle to have more than 6-7 shots
Along with Fulham, West Brom, Burnley and Sheff Utd we have the worst attack in the league which is frankly embarrassing when you look at the players, the cost of assembling them and the amount they are paid compared to those other 4 teams.

Post #509944  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:47 pm 

Opta showed Willian only made 2 forward passes during his time on the pitch v Villa

Post #509945  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:49 pm 

If we play wing backs and wingers and 2 holding mids and our main attacking thrust is down the wings rather than through the centre logic has it that we only ever get 1 player in a goalscoring position.

The point of wing backs is that your two wide men don’t need to be on the touchline, they can form a narrow front 3 all in the box or they can drift across in to spaces between the lines.

Post #509946  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:03 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We are losing these games in the middle of the park. When Partey went off yesterday we all knew where this was going.

Grealish and Barkely have everything Arsenal don't have......desire, skill, flair, power, pace. The tempo is created by the midfielders and we just have nothing there. After partey went off they literally ran rings around our midfield.

Exactly. The premiership and other leagues have evolved in style. More and more teams are setting up now with players who can do real damage on the counter attack. Add in the explosion of TV money coming in to the prem and traditionally weaker teams can now afford £30m players, who are of course attracted to the league and who pose this genuine danger.
All the dangerous teams in the league have some form of this in their play.
Dominate possession and razor sharp press and speed: Liverpool
Dominate possession and quick mobile interplay: City and Chelsea
Quick counter attacking: Spurs, Man U
High tempo, high press, rapid counter attack: Leeds, Southampton, Villa
Solid defence, incisive midfield, rapid counter attack: Leicester
Wolves and Everton are a little bit less easy to place as are we.

It isn't just in midfield we struggle with those key attributes it is up front as well. When you see most other teams forward players there is movement, interplay, getting on the ball, dribbling, shift and shoot. Our front 3 are totally static. When was the last time you saw an Arsenal wide man dribble towards the full-back and beat him with pace and trickery? When was the last time we even attempted it?

The prem is absolutely awash with penalties this season, Leicester have 8 pens in 8 games. We dont get men in the box dribbling at pace to win them.

There really is no quick fix for this. We've built a squad totally ill suited to the league. virtually every area of the pitch needs addressing still. We made 2 decent moves in the summer but it cost us £75m. I'm concerned about some transfers not fitting the right profile, Cédric, Mari, Willian. On paper they seemed like logical moves because of the price. We don't have the money or the time to solve 6-7 other positions in the team that need solving. Edu and the rest need to recognise that we can't be signing established talent like Partey all the time we need to identify younger players with all those attributes you list above and getting them in the £20m and under price range. Just shifting some of the waste of space players at the club saves us £1m a week in wages

Your last paragraph is a good summary of our predicament. My personal problem is that I am not sure that Arteta is the person who can recognise and deal with the issue. I know others are confident of his abilities but I see some worrying traits evolving; lack of trust in young players and his choice of signings are difficult to accept.

Post #509947  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

His summary of Xhaka was spot on.

Post #509948  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:49 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

This is kinda why I think Arteta needs to be given time. If we had Pep or klopp It wouldn’t mean that Xhaka all of sudden doesn’t need 2 touches to bring it under control and only ever passes with his left instep. New transfers fix this no amount of coaching will

Post #509949  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:25 pm 

The bottom line is that in terms of chances created we are near the bottom of the table, in terms of possession we are mid table mediocrity. We are where we are in the table because our level of play dictates that that is where we deserve to be.

I don't think we've scored in open play for 4 games.

How often do any of our players score with a piece of individual brilliance, other than Aubameyang and very occasionally Pépé.

Our midfield goal threat is virtually zero. Our goal threat from distance is virually zero.

You cannot create as few chances and score as few goals as we do per game and expect to be anywhere else in the table than where we are.

Aubameyang's incredible chance conversion rate, given the paucity of chances he gets, was always going to drop off at some point and if he isn't scoring no one else will.

Post #509950  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

This is kinda why I think Arteta needs to be given time. If we had Pep or klopp It wouldn’t mean that Xhaka all of sudden doesn’t need 2 touches to bring it under control and only ever passes with his left instep. New transfers fix this no amount of coaching will

Why did we sign Mari, Soares and Willian on longterm contracts? I don't get it.

Post #509951  Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:28 pm 

socrates wrote:

Evening socrates. I don’t know what money he’s on but I don’t think Soares has looked too bad on the few occasions he has played. A decent squad back up with experience. What did he cost in terms of a transfer fee? If he was free I can understand signing him. Sadly Mari got injured so quickly after joining, but because of that I feel it’s too soon to say whether he’ll end up being a good or bad signing.

Willian has started poorly, but proved himself to be a fine player over a good number of years at Chelsea. The Chelsea fans I know were all more disappointed to lose him than they were Barkley. Willian is one of the reasons I can see the sense of dec’s post that our lack of creativity has more to do with the style of play than simply lacking any creative players. With Willian, Saka, Ceballos and Pépé, we have creative players. As I suggested earlier, I simply don’t believe that putting on a Chelsea strip made Willian creative, but wearing the Arsenal kit has made him lose his creativity. It surely has more to do with the style of play. If I have a longer term worry about Willian it’s that we had to give him a three year contract to get him. But he looks quite fit so am hoping he’ll be able to positively contribute over the full three years.

I strongly suspect that when appointed Arteta recognised our defending had to be improved. Despite the three goals against Villa, I think he has. Sadly that’s arguably come at the expense of our attacking prowess. The challenge for Arteta is getting a better mix where we’re not only good at defending, but also better going forward.

Post #509952  Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:11 am 

Our next 3 EPL games are Leeds A, Wolves H and Spurs A. I hope we have thought about a change in formation by then. As I said the other week I think we should consider moving to 4-4-2. I think only this type of formation will suit Aubameyang playing centrally. We have to try something

Post #509953  Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:22 am 

socrates wrote:
The bottom line is that in terms of chances created we are near the bottom of the table, in terms of possession we are mid table mediocrity. We are where we are in the table because our level of play dictates that that is where we deserve to be.

I don't think we've scored in open play for 4 games.

How often do any of our players score with a piece of individual brilliance, other than Aubameyang and very occasionally Pépé.

Our midfield goal threat is virtually zero. Our goal threat from distance is virually zero.

You cannot create as few chances and score as few goals as we do per game and expect to be anywhere else in the table than where we are.

Aubameyang's incredible chance conversion rate, given the paucity of chances he gets, was always going to drop off at some point and if he isn't scoring no one else will.

I was wiling to sacrifice some scoring for us to be stronger defensively. We're not having either. Overall defensively we are more solid but it seems that any time the opposition makes a concerted effort, they will be rewarded.

Even the shut out at OT was fortunate. I don't know where in the overall process we are. Arteta can answer that or a more canny observer than I am.

Lastly, its a bad time for Aubameyang to have a dry spell. No one else is taking up the slack.

Post #509954  Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:43 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Soares was signed as cheap cover for Bellerin who had a major injury and AMN admitted he told Arteta he wouldn’t play full back anymore in January and then reconsidered

Mari I don’t quite get I think we already agreed to sign him in January but he may still come good.

Soares and Mari had little to do with Arteta I think he only joined on December 20 and they were well in flight.

Willian makes sense until you examine his recent Bad performances and with Martinelli injured.

Post #509955  Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Soares was signed as cheap cover for Bellerin who had a major injury and AMN admitted he told Arteta he wouldn’t play full back anymore in January and then reconsidered

Mari I don’t quite get I think we already agreed to sign him in January but he may still come good.

Soares and Mari had little to do with Arteta I think he only joined on December 20 and they were well in flight.
Willian makes sense until you examine his recent Bad performances and with Martinelli injured.

I had read with Mari that the primary target was Gabriel but we couldn't make it happen so we went for Mari. Obviously we then made Gabriel happen this summer. The president of the brazilian team we signed Mari from said something recently that hinted the total fee for Mari was somewhere closer to £5m - not the £7m loan plus £7m transfer fee that has been quoted.

Post #509956  Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:11 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I had read with Mari that the primary target was Gabriel but we couldn't make it happen so we went for Mari. Obviously we then made Gabriel happen this summer. The president of the brazilian team we signed Mari from said something recently that hinted the total fee for Mari was somewhere closer to £5m - not the £7m loan plus £7m transfer fee that has been quoted.

If it’s 5 million for Mari that would make more sense. Then it’s 2 squad players for the lesser competitions for minimal spend. Like having a debate about the new goalkeeper

Post #509957  Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:39 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Even the shut out at OT was fortunate. I don't know where in the overall process we are. Arteta can answer that or a more canny observer than I am.

I don't think the shut out at Man U was fortunate. I think it would have been unfortunate if Man U had nicked a draw. We're not in a position where we can go away to Man U and create 4-5 clear opportunities and win handsomely. It was always likely to be a tight game.
I don't recall Man U having a clear chance or Leno having to do much at all. There was the deflection that hit the post but that would have been incredibly unlucky to concede in that manner as it wasn't even a shot.
The Man U away performance was every bit as good as the Villa performance was bad. At Man U every player was on their game, the 50/50's were all won by us, individual duels were won all over the pitch - in terms of a gameplan, effort, discipline etc it was all there - and it was all missing v Villa

Post #509958  Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:40 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hi Rich,

If that's true it does make more sense.

With Willian and Soares its more the lenght of contract than the actual signing.

Didn't we pay a big loan fee for Soares back in Jan when he was injured?

Post #509959  Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:44 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I don't think the shut out at Man U was fortunate. I think it would have been unfortunate if Man U had nicked a draw. We're not in a position where we can go away to Man U and create 4-5 clear opportunities and win handsomely. It was always likely to be a tight game.
I don't recall Man U having a clear chance or Leno having to do much at all. There was the deflection that hit the post but that would have been incredibly unlucky to concede in that manner as it wasn't even a shot.
The Man U away performance was every bit as good as the Villa performance was bad. At Man U every player was on their game, the 50/50's were all won by us, individual duels were won all over the pitch - in terms of a gameplan, effort, discipline etc it was all there - and it was all missing v Villa

I think United were very poor against us which made us look better than we are and conversely we were very poor against Villa which made Villa look better than they are.

In truth United and us are both flawed teams with inherent weaknesses which can be ruthlessly exposed on occasions and hence the reason why both teams are so inconsistent.

Post #509960  Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:46 am 

Ziyech at Chelsea looks like some player, settled in immediately, magical delivery with his left foot. Reminds me of Mahrez. They didn't exactly break the bank for him either £35m ish. I look at players like him and Grealish and just crave some of that technical ability at our club. Crazy to think of the days when we had so many players like this, they could keep the ball and play creative triangles for fun

[ 563338 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12746, 12747, 12748, 12749, 12750, 12751, 12752 ... 14084  Next