Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 292 guests

Post #505801  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:24 am 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/r75475528/status/1477292719215153152?s=21

These are the sorts of decisions certain players are given leeway for and certain ones are not. Rodri in this clip is not in control and it could be argued there is excessive force in the tackle considering what happens to Martinelli. Some people will argue he wins the ball but that isn’t the factor in determining free kicks. He slips, yes, but he’s out of control. This could have been a yellow for a different player, we didn’t even get a free kick for this.

very unhappy watching this tackle live but now that I've watched that clip a few times, I don't think Rodri was out of control. He races up with both feet planted together to block the shot and is still upright until he slips. The Martinelli momentum is circumstantial from taking the shot and having both feet off the ground rather than being from Rodri taking his legs out.

Post #505802  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:58 am 

Apparently Nketiah has tested positive for Covid. Be interesting to see if he’s the only one. Otherwise it could put Thursday’s semi-final against Liverpool in doubt.

Post #505803  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:48 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/r75475528/status/1477292719215153152?s=21

These are the sorts of decisions certain players are given leeway for and certain ones are not. Rodri in this clip is not in control and it could be argued there is excessive force in the tackle considering what happens to Martinelli. Some people will argue he wins the ball but that isn’t the factor in determining free kicks. He slips, yes, but he’s out of control. This could have been a yellow for a different player, we didn’t even get a free kick for this.

very unhappy watching this tackle live but now that I've watched that clip a few times, I don't think Rodri was out of control. He races up with both feet planted together to block the shot and is still upright until he slips. The Martinelli momentum is circumstantial from taking the shot and having both feet off the ground rather than being from Rodri taking his legs out.

But the point is he does take him out. If Rodri isn’t there at all Martinelli doesn’t fall flat on his back after taking the shot.
Strange way to block a shot by rushing in and planting both feet, I can’t see that being a natural thing to do.

Post #505804  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:15 am 

https://twitter.com/189nlne/status/1477 ... 37664?s=21
On a more positive note this clip shows the complete dominance we had over City in the build up to the first goal. I’ve only seen peak Liverpool do this to Man City in the past 3 years or so

Post #505805  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:26 am 

3 cup games before our game v Spurs.
I’d go with a strong team v Liverpool at home, rotate against Forest and then see who might be available for the away Liverpool game.

Post #505806  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:26 am 

Pointless dwelling on the Attwell nonsense. Yesterday showed a team on the up. Lots of good things to take from it. A couple of shrewd signings and I think we’re in a good place. This team is loveable.

Post #505807  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:26 am 

I thought it was a good performance overall. The disappointment for me was the poor decision making when under pressure. Xhaka was purely lazy with that decision or just straight panic. The same with the send off. What was he thinking well out from the goal. Under pressure he panicked. Never give the ref a decision like that to make.

With Xhaka it is clear he will always be what he is. Maybe we can forgive the send off but I worry if I see it repeated.

And the big unknown from the game is did we perform better because Arteta wasn’t at the game issuing instructions every 5 minutes?

Post #505808  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
the big unknown from the game is did we perform better because Arteta wasn’t at the game issuing instructions every 5 minutes?

I don’t buy this nonsense. The reason we played so well is that we’re a team on the up.

Post #505809  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:05 am 

Darren wrote:
Pointless dwelling on the Attwell nonsense. Yesterday showed a team on the up. Lots of good things to take from it. A couple of shrewd signings and I think we’re in a good place. This team is loveable.

Hi Darren,

Totally agree. A few weeks ago I still had big doubts about Arteta because there were not enough reasons to be encouraged by his management, now I believe there are some good reasons for optimism.

The fact that our upturn in form seemed to coincide with Aubameyang being dropped is something which may or may not be down to a stroke of luck. Would it have happened anyway based on the evidence of what Arteta was seeing on and off the pitch or did Aubameyang's ill-discipline enable Arteta to get lucky in that it allowed Lacazette and Martinelli to come in and give us a better overall team shape and balance. Sometimes you just need that bit of luck.

I think you are right about the two players. Clearly we are not City who can get by without a recognised CF so that's one hole that definitely needs plugging and I'd like to see an upgrade on Xhaka. I doubt either will happen in Jan, though. There are possibilities out there but we need to be quick, clever and persuasive in this market.

Post #505810  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:11 am 

azinoz wrote:
Whatever one may think of Xhaka, whether he’s just stupid, mitigated against by the referees, plain unlucky or a combination of them all the fact is, he is a liability. So do we offload him or get a couple of AG’s mates from Philly and make Mike Riley an offer he can’t refuse.

I know which option I would prefer if it was realistic.

:laughing7:

I think you've summed up Xhaka pretty well, its a combination of things that make him a liability, and not all are in his control. Unfortunately, years of shirt-pulls and silly mistimed tackles have made him a target for referees.

Post #505811  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:16 am 

One thing that seems quite clear to me is that when Lacazette tires we are less of an attacking threat. Yesterday when he went off we pushed Martinelli up top but he doesn't yet have that upper body strength to allow him to hold the ball up and bring others into play in the way Lacazette does. It's an issue because Lacazette is by no means the complete answer, he offers little goal threat for a start, but we have no one else who can play that role. We desperately need another CF, even if its a loan for the remainder of the season.

Post #505812  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:22 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Martinelli should have scored but also note the ref in the wrong place and martinelli has to get around him to get the shot off. No need for the ref to be charging in to the box at that point, he has goal line technology

Is that right? I didn’t notice in the heat of the moment. I’ll have a look out for that on the highlights when I can steel myself to watch them.

Just watched it on MOTD. You’re dead right. It was as though the referee was an extra defender. He certainly didn’t help us out there. It’s like every bit of luck went against us.

Post #505813  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:22 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I thought it was a good performance overall. The disappointment for me was the poor decision making when under pressure. Xhaka was purely lazy with that decision or just straight panic. The same with the send off. What was he thinking well out from the goal. Under pressure he panicked. Never give the ref a decision like that to make.

With Xhaka it is clear he will always be what he is. Maybe we can forgive the send off but I worry if I see it repeated.

And the big unknown from the game is did we perform better because Arteta wasn’t at the game issuing instructions every 5 minutes?

We've been winning handsomely with Areteta there so this seems an unlikely hypothesis.

Post #505814  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:07 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

We've been winning handsomely with Areteta there so this seems an unlikely hypothesis.

And Stuivenberg was at the pitch side and doing exactly what Arteta does so no difference really.

Post #505815  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:41 am 

Morning all,

Anyone still stewing over yesterday ? Yep thought so me too.

Post #505816  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:43 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

What a plonker.

Next.Level.

Do you even watch our games.

Post #505817  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:55 am 

The truth is most who watch us week in week out know yesterday wasn’t some anomaly that we put in a good performance.

We’ve been playing very well for weeks and weeks and even in the defeats at Anfield and Old Trafford there were moments of very impressive play that occurred despite the losses. The analysis that we played well is far from a surprise for many of our fans. What yesterdays game may halt is this nonsense from people suggesting every time we win we got lucky or something.

This team is on the rise. A couple more experienced players including a striker and we could achieve real success

Post #505818  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:57 am 

Rich wrote:
Still frustrated with their penalty. Total reward for Silva diving, he had no other interest that throwing himself for the penalty. Of course Xhaka was silly to lay any hand on him at all….but think about just all the times Pépé has been fouled in the box and had it waved away. The consistency is atrocious. Do we honestly think we’d have been given that penalty?

Those are often not given and the inconsistency is awful, but in my view they should be. Surely the fact that Silva went down so easily doesn't matter: Xhaka grabbing his shirt gives him a licence to do that.

I think 'going down easily' and theatrically like that (and as Ødegaard did, and as Lacazette does) is very different to diving when there is no contact. Diving is cheating and should be yellow carded. Going down when you are fouled is unfortunately part of the game. And I don't blame the players: if you don't go down when you are fouled, how many time will the penalty be given?

In any case, I'm sure we can all agree that it was stupid from Xhaka and Gabriel. Very disappointing and frustrating but that certainly better that the blank despair that usually follows our encounters with City or Liverpool.

Post #505819  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:16 am 

I’ve just watched Tottenham on MOTD.

I was struck by the commentator’s repeated pronunciation of Hojbjerg.
It sounded like Hoy bee ere.

Which is quite different to how I thought it was.
Does that mean that Freddie would be Lung bee ere then?

Perhaps Hazuki can help out here.

Post #505820  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:23 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Danish pronounciation is a lost cause so I can't help out much with Hojbjerg, but with Ljungberg I would say Jung berg is more correct since the L is supposed to be silent. I would also rather see a 44-year old Ljungberg in this current Arsenal team if the choice was between him and the Dane.

Post #505821  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:24 am 

And yet another view on the continued erratic application of VAR.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... 4UWrn-mRkw

Can’t disagree with any of that.

Post #505822  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Danish pronounciation is a lost cause so I can't help out much with Hojbjerg, but with Ljungberg I would say Jung berg is more correct since the L is supposed to be silent. I would also rather see a 44-year old Ljungberg in this current Arsenal team if the choice was between him and the Dane.

Thanks for that.

Post #505823  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:36 am 

long time gooner wrote:
And yet another view on the continued erratic application of VAR.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... 4UWrn-mRkw

Can’t disagree with any of that.

I think VAR is one thing but I can’t understand how a booking for one of our players doesn’t constitute a booking for another side I see this week on week out. (I know I’m in rich territory here :laughing7: )

I saw a statistic that says since Arteta was appointed we’ve had twice as many red cards as other teams. For a side like ours ? Can you explain that. You aren’t convincing me we are a dirty side (just look at city! Blatant cheats)

Five yellow cards and a red for just 11 fouls yesterday for Arsenal. Seems we are treated harshly.

The club should pay for imperial college London to do independent research paper on this or something

Post #505824  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:55 am 

I just look at the 2 yellows Gabriel got yesterday and think back to the Watford game where Danny rose was literally allowed to kick saka as many times a he wanted with total impunity. Just crazy and that’s not an exception, every week Bukayo has to deal with players literally trying to kick him up in the air.

Post #505825  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:01 pm 

Decaf wrote:
In any case, I'm sure we can all agree that it was stupid from Xhaka and Gabriel. Very disappointing and frustrating but that certainly better that the blank despair that usually follows our encounters with City or Liverpool.

It is so much better than the usual drubbing where it's game over after 30 minutes and we're outclassed in every department. I'm left with 95% positive feelings which is a little weird after losing a game in the 93rd minute, but it's because we're seeing such tangible improvement in the way we play. If we keep these kind of performances up, we'll win a lot more games than we'll lose.

Post #505826  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:21 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich, your family will hate me for encouraging you but continue with the stats, etc. It's interesting.

Arsenal have committed the fewest fouls per game in the league this season. Under 9 fouls per match on average.

Post #505827  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I just look at the 2 yellows Gabriel got yesterday and think back to the Watford game where Danny rose was literally allowed to kick saka as many times a he wanted with total impunity. Just crazy and that’s not an exception, every week Bukayo has to deal with players literally trying to kick him up in the air.

And Jordan Ayew setting the league record of 7 fouls without a yellow card against us.

I can understand our high ratio when you factor in the obvious yellow cynical style pull backs that Xhaka does, and the dissent cards - you’re not going to get a correlation between number of fouls and number of yellows if you are consistently doing those sorts of fouls, but are we to believe that we’re the most cynical team in the league who give the refs the worst abuse?

Post #505828  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:41 pm 

My season ticket offers an elevated view of the right flank of our opponents half for the first half of games and I get to witness the sheer misery of Bukayo Saka getting kicked or “reducers” put on him 3 or 4 times of every single home game for the first 20 minutes.

In many cases it’s 30 year old men kicking a 20 year old up in the air with total impunity

It continues and keeps going until the home fans start screaming blue murder at the ref and then AND ONLY THEN does he start trying to address the problem. EVERY SINGLE GAME. The home fans actually have to police their own games because the refs aren’t good enough.

At some point Saka could get an impact injury and I’m really surprised he hasn’t had an extended spell on the sidelines so far.

Post #505829  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:43 pm 

Yellow dots are where the refs are from
Red dots are the location of prem league clubs

Amazing that there are only 3 southern refs and none from London. (I’m not counting the midlands as southern)

Attachments:

Post #505830  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:44 pm 

Decaf wrote:
In any case, I'm sure we can all agree that it was stupid from Xhaka and Gabriel.

I think it’s a shame that Xhaka has had so much focus here since the game. Socrates even called him a liability which is grossly unfair. He actually played very well yesterday. Some marks out of ten site gave him seven, which they said would have been higher without the penalty incident. I think that’s a fair comment, as Xhaka made a significant contribution to how well we played.

There’s no such thing as the perfect player. Everyone has faults however good they are. Messi can’t tackle like Sol Campbell or head it like Tony Adams. But I still remember the observation, some while back now, by DHD. We routinely look better when Xhaka plays or worse when he doesn’t. I can’t recall which way round DHD put it, but it doesn’t matter as they add up to the same thing. We don’t always play well when Xhaka is in the team, and nor do we only play badly when he doesn’t. But as a general observation I think DHD’s point is correct.

Moreover I strongly suspect Arteta appreciates that, which is why he loves Xhaka. For all those who want Xhaka gone, I think you should also want Arteta to leave. Because while Arteta is here, I don’t see Xhaka not being one of the first names on the team sheet anytime soon. I would prefer we had Declan Rice, but that looks as likely to me as winning the Euromillions jackpot without buying a ticket. If you want Arteta to remain in charge, learn to live with Xhaka consistently being in the team.

Post #505831  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:51 pm 

Rich wrote:

Amazing that there are only 3 southern refs and none from London. (I’m not counting the midlands as southern)

Might not necessarily be a bad thing. I’d rather have a northerner referee an Arsenal game than a Tottenham fan from London.

Post #505832  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
In any case, I'm sure we can all agree that it was stupid from Xhaka and Gabriel.

I think it’s a shame that Xhaka has had so much focus here since the game. Socrates even called him a liability which is grossly unfair. He actually played very well yesterday. Some marks out of ten site gave him seven, which they said would have been higher without the penalty incident. I think that’s a fair comment, as Xhaka made a significant contribution to how well we played.

There’s no such thing as the perfect player. Everyone has faults however good they are. Messi can’t tackle like Sol Campbell or head it like Tony Adams. But I still remember the observation, some while back now, by DHD. We routinely look better when Xhaka plays or worse when he doesn’t. I can’t recall which way round DHD put it, but it doesn’t matter as they add up to the same thing. We don’t always play well when Xhaka is in the team, and nor do we only play badly when he doesn’t. But as a general observation I think DHD’s point is correct.

Moreover I strongly suspect Arteta appreciates that, which is why he loves Xhaka. For all those who want Xhaka gone, I think you should also want Arteta to leave. Because while Arteta is here, I don’t see Xhaka not being one of the first names on the team sheet anytime soon. I would prefer we had Declan Rice, but that looks as likely to me as winning the Euromillions jackpot without buying a ticket. If you want Arteta to remain in charge, learn to live with Xhaka consistently being in the team.

If you give Arteta money for 1 player right now he’s signing a striker, if your giving him money for 2 players he’s signing a xhaka replacement too I reckon. Loads of rumours about Bruno Guimarães.

At the moment he’s been the lesser of many evils and the manager has quite rightly and justifiably prioritised other areas of the side. Socrates assessment is accurate unfortunately and if I told you one of our players would give away a penalty in a game I reckon 90% of us would place a bet it was Xhaka who had done it. He has good qualities but many more bad ones and if we want to compete at the highest level again we won’t do so with a player so immobile and such a liability in the centre of our side.

The fact we are talking about Xhaka again after a previous week of talking about Xhaka tells you all you need to know and the manager won’t be unaware of the issue.

Post #505833  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:12 pm 

Lionel Messi tests positive for Covid-19, says Paris Saint-Germain

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/02/foot ... index.html

Post #505834  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:14 pm 

Stuart Attwell has been on VAR for 118 matches in his career. In those 118 matches he’s ‘given’ 4 red cards…..3 of those have gone to Arsenal players.
There will of course be statistical differences for various teams but the wild anomalies need looking at further.

Post #505835  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Might not necessarily be a bad thing. I’d rather have a northerner referee an Arsenal game than a Tottenham fan from London.

Quite. I doubt any refs from London would be allowed to ref games with London teams. Although Mike Dean from the Wirral does do games with Liverpool and Everton from memory as he declares himself as a Tranmere fan. Not disputing that because he’s been seen quite passionately on Tranmere’s terraces. But just being from an area you’d have friends and family and will have grown up around those clubs. I’d happily have a Ref from Luton who supports Luton ref our games than a northern ref

Post #505836  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:42 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Sounds like
freh·dee yung·buhg

https://www.google.com/search?q=freddie ... nunciation

Post #505837  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
Stuart Attwell has been on VAR for 118 matches in his career. In those 118 matches he’s ‘given’ 4 red cards…..3 of those have gone to Arsenal players.
There will of course be statistical differences for various teams but the wild anomalies need looking at further.

That is an astounding statistic.

We do so very often seem to be on the debit side of contentious decisions. We definitely do not break even.

Post #505838  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:48 pm 

warrior wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Sounds like
freh·dee yung·buhg

https://www.google.com/search?q=freddie ... nunciation

Completely different to the Hojbjerg on MOTD.

But, as Haz pointed out, it’s Danish not Swedish.

Post #505839  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:50 pm 

Rich wrote:

Stuart Attwell was also on the list of suspects for the Son of Sam murders in New York City mid to late 70s. Modern policing techniques weren’t around in the 70s so could it be the police got the wrong guy and David Berkowitz was actually innocent and that Attwell is the Son of Sam :8surprise: :26surprise:

Post #505840  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The fact we are talking about Xhaka again after a previous week of talking about Xhaka tells you all you need to know and the manager won’t be unaware of the issue.

The fact that we’re talking about him may also be linked to your energy for repeating yourself about him so often. I just think you’ll have to get used to seeing Xhaka in Arsenals team for a while longer. Arteta seems to love him.

[ 537937 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12643, 12644, 12645, 12646, 12647, 12648, 12649 ... 13449  Next