Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 271 guests

Post #505761  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:08 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Rich wrote:
My over riding opinion on refs is not that they make awful decisions against us all the time, as they can often be justified when looked at in isolation, it is that no one else seems to get treated as we do.
The shirt pull today by Xhaka, yes it’s silly, yes he’s thrown himself - but do those get given for every team? Anyone remeber the clear one Sokratis wasn’t given for a much clearer shirt pull. If you give that by VAR then you need to look at every corner and free kick in to the box as you’d have a penalty every time.
The Ødegaard one was a clear penalty with the aid of a replay so why wasn’t the ref asked to view the pitchside monitor?

On the yellow cards I think we’ve had Gabriel, Saka and Xhaka carded for things most players would not be. If they deem Xhaka a foul is it worthy of a yellow, but Danny Rose nearly taking Lacazette’s head off wasn’t a yellow?

I’ve said it countless times but when was the last player to get a straight red v Arsenal?

Paranoid nonsense. It's the old adage. Don't give the ref a decision to make.

What about when he is given a decision to make potentially in our favour and doesn’t? Plenty of those shockers this season that have decided matches

Post #505762  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:20 pm 

Whatever one may think of Xhaka, whether he’s just stupid, mitigated against by the referees, plain unlucky or a combination of them all the fact is, he is a liability. So do we offload him or get a couple of AG’s mates from Philly and make Mike Riley an offer he can’t refuse.

I know which option I would prefer if it was realistic.

Post #505763  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:21 pm 

We were great today. Some of the refereeing decisions seemed a bit baffling but i'm biased. The penalty looked like a dive from where I was sitting but if Xhaka did tug his shirt its hard to blame the ref if he gives the penalty. Before the match I would have taken a draw, but at half time I would not because we were comfortably dominating the game. From about 70 mins onwards I felt it was inevitable that City would score, so I wasnt surprised when they finally did. But overall there was much to be optimistic about. I really hope KSE buy a top striker and an upgrade for Xhaka, because it feels like the significant improvement the team has made must be continued and backed. Its a shame Tottingham got a last minute win but it does seem if they are riding their considerable luck at the moment.

Post #505764  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:24 pm 

The best change the league could make is to mic up the refs when they have to talk to each other for the var calls. Let’s hear what they say to each other to justify the decision they take.
Can you imagine listening to the conversation when Kane nearly broke Robertson’s leg!

Post #505765  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:25 pm 

A ‘neutral’ view on the controversies.

https://www.skysports.com/share/12507185

Seems about right to me.

Post #505766  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:27 pm 

Not sure what to make of that. Feels really unfair. The only way I could see them getting back into it was from a refereeing decision not open play.

Feel the refereeing never favours us that said I’m not sure I have many gripes about their pen. It’s just granit xhaka putting his hands on another player isn’t it. Feels like we’ve seen it so many times.

I think bad reffing is costing so many games. Spurs in particular seem so jammy with the refs

Never mind no matter what happens our team is on the rise and at least most seem to understand this now rather than demanding the managers dismissal and lauding graham potter.

Post #505767  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:28 pm 

I can’t help but keep dwelling on the Martinelli miss. He had a superb match but that cost us dearly.

If it goes in then we are 2-1 up with 11 men and the momentum, and the Gabriel incident doesn’t happen. A key moment.

Post #505768  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:33 pm 

azinoz wrote:
Whatever one may think of Xhaka, whether he’s just stupid, mitigated against by the referees, plain unlucky or a combination of them all the fact is, he is a liability. So do we offload him or get a couple of AG’s mates from Philly and make Mike Riley an offer he can’t refuse.

I know which option I would prefer if it was realistic.

Agreed, he contributes hugely to our passing and general play when we have the ball but is dribbled past too easily and makes rash decisions. We can find a player as good on the ball but more disciplined

Post #505769  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:34 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I can’t help but keep dwelling on the Martinelli miss. He had a superb match but that cost us dearly.

If it goes in then we are 2-1 up with 11 men and the momentum, and the Gabriel incident doesn’t happen. A key moment.

Martinelli should have scored but also note the ref in the wrong place and martinelli has to get around him to get the shot off. No need for the ref to be charging in to the box at that point, he has goal line technology

Post #505770  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Martinelli should have scored but also note the ref in the wrong place and martinelli has to get around him to get the shot off. No need for the ref to be charging in to the box at that point, he has goal line technology

Is that right? I didn’t notice in the heat of the moment. I’ll have a look out for that on the highlights when I can steel myself to watch them.

Post #505771  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
My one lasting impression underneath the disappointment with the result and our costly errors is that we're clearly good enough for top 4.

I agree. We’re clearly good enough for fourth place. I listed the squad earlier in the season and felt it arguably should get fourth, not just might.

The main question is what happens in the January window. If we can get a top striker in, I feel that would address our biggest current weakness.

Saying the squad should get 4th is daft, it’s capable of it but should ? No way it would be a huge achievement for this young team. United have a far more experienced squad and spurs have 2 real natural world class match winners in Kane and son. We don’t.

We have a chance a real chance but there’s a long way to go.

Post #505772  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:55 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Yeah, in games like these there's always going to be a fine margin between a good and bad result. If you miss an open goal, give away a penalty or get an unnecessary red card there's a big chance it'll come back to haunt you - we did all three in the space of five minutes.

But the more I think about this game the more positive I get. Mistakes and bad results can happen, but our performance in the first 55 minutes was a level above anything I've seen Man Utd or Tottenham do this season. The thing about quality performances is that they will not always get you a result, but they will do it more often than the poor ones. If we play ten games where we perform like this, and ten games where we perform like we did in the Burnley win for example, I know which set of fixtures I would bet on to give us the most points.

Post #505773  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:08 pm 

https://twitter.com/ali_gooner08/status ... 38470?s=21

This is why Gabriel got his first yellow card. A City player pushes him in to the ref and the ref reads the situation wrong. So so annoying

Post #505774  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I agree. We’re clearly good enough for fourth place. I listed the squad earlier in the season and felt it arguably should get fourth, not just might.

The main question is what happens in the January window. If we can get a top striker in, I feel that would address our biggest current weakness.

Saying the squad should get 4th is daft, it’s capable of it but should ? No way it would be a huge achievement for this young team. United have a far more experienced squad and spurs have 2 real natural world class match winners in Kane and son. We don’t.

We have a chance a real chance but there’s a long way to go.

Agreed. ‘Could’ get 4th, most definitely, but not ‘should’ especially before a ball was kicked no one who watches, commentates or does punditry had us anywhere near the top 4 and our summer spending was mocked for being midtable purchases.
I’d say most media outlets had the top 4 as city, chelsea, Liverpool, Man U by a long way, then maybe us but more likely spurs and Leicester ahead

Post #505775  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:15 pm 

Play like we did today away to Spurs and we’re beating them comfortably. Spurs are massively rising their luck right now. Late goal today, no decent attacking play and very lucky with decisions for red cards, penalties and non red cards. Couldn’t beat 10 man Saints

There is no way this spurs team are better than us. Man for man it’s only Kane and Son.

Post #505776  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:53 pm 

Spurs still have to go away to City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U. And their two games in hand are away games.
Man U still have to go away to City, Liverpool and us

Comparisons between the way those two are playing and ourselves is like chalk and cheese at the moment. We must beat them both in the games we have against them

Post #505777  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
I’ve said it countless times but when was the last player to get a straight red v Arsenal?

Aleksandar Mitrovic Receives Red Card vs. Arsenal

August 2015

Post #505778  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:05 pm 

There will be a video of this game next to a Quora question asking 'What does the phrase a game of two halves mean?'

Two things I think we can learn from the game. First, we definitely have top 4 quality. Second, we definitely need top 4 mental toughness quality.

I'm not sure exactly what quality Xhaka has that deserves the minutes and confidence showed in him but I can only conclude my American brain that took up the sport as an adult can't understand it but the problem with that is I've heard too many British gooners have the same confusion.

I was surprised seeing Gabriel among the ones losing his head with tackles, and I can only conclude the squad was frustrated about something or a few things. The referee being one of them.

Post #505779  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:09 pm 

From September

Granit Xhaka asks whether he’s “prejudiced against” following red card

https://punditarena.com/football/rudi-k ... -red-card/

Post #505780  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:10 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/ali_gooner08/status/1477332432059838470?s=21

This is why Gabriel got his first yellow card. A City player pushes him in to the ref and the ref reads the situation wrong. So so annoying

Yikes

Post #505781  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:17 pm 

Post #505782  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:50 pm 

warrior wrote:
Rich wrote:

Aleksandar Mitrovic Receives Red Card vs. Arsenal

August 2015

As suspected. So 6 and a half years of never having an opponent sent off for violent conduct or a bad tackle. Not even one that was harsh or wrong and later overturned!

Post #505783  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:04 pm 

It was strange that the commentary I listened to today was praising the ref in the first half for not going to yellow cards too quickly. He was saying he could have carded a few but then he sets the bar and we’d end up with 10 cards and it wasn’t a dirty game, also noting the players seemed happy and there weren’t any major complaints. This then completely changed in the second half where he just wanted to card anything.
By the way this ref Attwell was demoted from the elite group of refs for 4 years due to poor performance and once gave a goal when it should have been a corner

Post #505784  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:06 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:blob9: 4am ....going to be hard to get back to sleep after that debacle .

try counting sheeps :42laughter:

:icon_mrgreen: I'd rather run through five thousand clubs I'd like Xhaka to p**ss off to ......... Central African Utd , Outer Mongolian Wanderers , Easter Island Cathusians , Tristan da Cuhna Barbarians , Jan Mayen Athletic

Post #505785  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:48 pm 

I think it would be a bit naive not to believe the officials would have a certain bias . Interested enough to make a job out of it they must surely have had favourite clubs growing up .
Commentators the same .... My bloke had multiple orgasms when City scored the winner ... "GLORIOUS THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CHAMPIONS " ignoring the fact they had got a dodgy penalty and were playing ten men for forty minutes .

First time I've really watched Man City when they haven't been demolishing someone playing flowing football and was surprised at the amount of niggle they put in .

We made them look very ordinary hence I find it hard to console myself with the "Oh we manned up . played well etc etc
Think of the enormous boost in confidence that would have given the dressing room to have won .

Think Ødegaard's heavy touch led to that non penalty decision . One view seem to show their goalie treading on his foot , other angles seemed to show he made the most off it .
Xhaka didn't do anywhere enough to make Fernandez fall ..... think it's the handful of shirt that was the decider .

Gabriel needs to be made to watch that video twenty times and wise up ... he had to be dragged away by Lacazette and he still wanted to go on with it like some rabid bull terrier .

Doesn't matter how flaky the first offence ..he was on a yellow; there was no real danger .... he didn't have to be so dumb
...... it is just symptomatic of how defenders defend these days , shirt pulls , rugby tackles , trips , niggly fouls .

A penalty could be dished out at every corner .

Post #505786  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:59 pm 

OH for any of your folk in the later time zones might thinking it is the end of the world ... don't despair . The sun came up this morning as per usual .

Time to shift sports watch a bit of cricket . NZ v Bangladesh ....we are going quite well although I don't like seeing us dealing to this opposition .

Bangladesh are such an impoverished country I like to see them winning to lift their spirits .

Post #505787  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:00 pm 

Still frustrated with their penalty. Total reward for Silva diving, he had no other interest that throwing himself for the penalty. Of course Xhaka was silly to lay any hand on him at all….but think about just all the times Pépé has been fouled in the box and had it waved away. The consistency is atrocious. Do we honestly think we’d have been given that penalty?

Post #505788  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:05 pm 

So so so frustrating.
Fantastic performance in the first half and defended well after going to 10 men.
Some of our football was outstanding.
How is the ref sent to monitor for their penalty but not for ours.
At first it looks like silva has dived and everyone is motioning for him to get the *%^@ up then when it went to var started to fear the worst then game over as xhaka gives the ref something to think about by pulling his shirt. Still soft but if he doesn't pull the shirt then no penalty.
Damn you Ake!!!!
How the fukk does he get back to clear off the line and gabby should have stuck it away but he was magnificent today.
He was running City ragged.
So gutting and pissed off to see Rodri get the winner.
Just seemed to fall for him.
Minimum we deserved was a point.
So soul destroying but so so proud of us today.
Keep playing like that and we have a great chance of top 4.
Heartened by the fact spurs still have to go to Liverpool Chelsea City and utd while we only have Chelsea to go to.
They are so jammy. Just knew they would get the late goal.
Lots to be positive about for us.

Post #505789  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
Still frustrated with their penalty. Total reward for Silva diving, he had no other interest that throwing himself for the penalty. Of course Xhaka was silly to lay any hand on him at all….but think about just all the times Pépé has been fouled in the box and had it waved away. The consistency is atrocious. Do we honestly think we’d have been given that penalty?

It’s such a weak penalty however if you grab a handful of an opposing players shirt in the box you are running your luck in this VAR era. All the opposing player has to do is throw himself on the floor and VAR will check it see the minor offence and give it.

It was a penalty that wouldn’t have been given before VAR. it was one of those games that really showed it hadn’t improved decisions

Post #505790  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:42 pm 

Rich wrote:
Do we honestly think we’d have been given that penalty?

I think we would have. Whenever you can see a shirt being pulled that clearly you give the ref something to think about, and when you combine it with the defender sticking out his leg the decision is made much easier. Silva dives, but to me it's one of those instances where the attacking player is impeaded and if he doesn't go down the chance is gone and he gets nothing for it.

The ref was pretty terrible overall today, he seemed very eager to show yellow cards but only to Arsenal players. However, I don't think he had much at all to do with the result. Their penalty was correct in my book, the second yellow for Gabriel was clear as day. We should've probably had a penalty too, but even if we got it and scored it's 1-0 after 11 minutes instead of 1-0 after 31 so it's hardly a game-ending error on Atwell's part.

Post #505791  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:03 pm 

To lighten the sad mood a bit and tangentially related story to azinoz's post.

When I was in LA, I stayed in an apartment that a young couple moved above me. They kept to themselves. I got their mail by accident and I noticed the name was Italian and seemed somewhat familiar but I didn't know from where I heard it.

Anyway, I delivered their mail and didn't make any inquiries about the name. I had a 2 bedroom flat and allowed them to use one of my parking spaces, I had 2, they were in a 1 bedroom flat and only had 1 space but 2 cars. They were having a get together with some new friends and coworkers and invited me for the kindness I showed. Anyway, the beer and alcohol were flowing. I was asked where you are from and I said Philly. She said we are from Philly too. Of course, we got into what area, etc. Both lived in separate areas. He lived in a suburb just north of Philly. She and he were at the same college, she was from another area.

Anyway, eventually we all became better friends and I learned their story or rather his story. He left the Philly area because his childhood friends, family, changed towards him.

He had an uncle, his father's brother who they were estranged from. He never met him, rarely talked about. His estranged uncle was a capo in the Philly mob in south Philly. In the late 80s and into the 90s Philly had a mob war within the family for control after Little Nicky Scarfo was no longer in charge. This uncle ended up on the news. He was found dead in the trunk of the car. This name was not a common Italian name for Philly such as Russo, Rizzo, Pileggi.

People in the upstairs neighbor's area found out there was a familial connection and lifelong friends and their families shunned him and his family thinking there was some mob connection to them and that's how they made their money. Eventually, he decided to make a fresh start in LA with his girlfrien/fiance'.

He was very angry and gutted about how so many people he knew his whole life would treat him and his family.

Post #505792  Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:11 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Do we honestly think we’d have been given that penalty?

I think we would have. Whenever you can see a shirt being pulled that clearly you give the ref something to think about, and when you combine it with the defender sticking out his leg the decision is made much easier. Silva dives, but to me it's one of those instances where the attacking player is impeaded and if he doesn't go down the chance is gone and he gets nothing for it.

The ref was pretty terrible overall today, he seemed very eager to show yellow cards but only to Arsenal players. However, I don't think he had much at all to do with the result. Their penalty was correct in my book, the second yellow for Gabriel was clear as day. We should've probably had a penalty too, but even if we got it and scored it's 1-0 after 11 minutes instead of 1-0 after 31 so it's hardly a game-ending error on Atwell's part.

Very mature take on the game .

Rather than bogging oneself down with refereeing injustices , biases , conspiracies , dredging up decades of wrongs against us , giving the ulcers that come with following Arsenal "fresh legs "

Post #505793  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:04 am 

Rio's in our corner ........... interesting slice , dice , squirm and wriggle by their officiating expert .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdl0gwR ... chAnalysis

Post #505794  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:27 am 

Rich wrote:
Play like we did today away to Spurs and we’re beating them comfortably. Spurs are massively rising their luck right now. Late goal today, no decent attacking play and very lucky with decisions for red cards, penalties and non red cards. Couldn’t beat 10 man Saints

There is no way this spurs team are better than us. Man for man it’s only Kane and Son.

Didn’t you agree that it’s silly to say we should get fourth but then imply at Tottenham only Kane and Son are better than we have? I would most likely say ‘could’ get fourth is a better word to use, but ‘should’ isn’t that outlandish if you rate us better than Tottenham. Manchester United are the main alternative and their first choice midfield is Fred and McTominay. Moreover their most influential forward is a 37 year old has been.

As I say, could is probably the most sensible word. But if we find a top forward from somewhere in January, I’m not sure should is that outlandish.

Post #505795  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:35 am 

Rich, your family will hate me for encouraging you but continue with the stats, etc. It's interesting.

Post #505796  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:36 am 

Okay, Arteta not being on the touchline had

a. negative overall effect
b. positive overall effect
c. no visible difference

Post #505797  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:38 am 

City knew they were being outclassedn and are grateful for that result. I wonder how the top clubs as well as the league are looking at us now? I doubt we can 'sneak up' on any of the top sides. I have to think we are now thought of as a threat. Not the same category as Liverpool or Chelsea but a threat nonetheless who can win against anyone in the league if we are in the mood.

Post #505798  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:38 am 

IMO, we need a replacement for Xhaka if we ever want to be challenging for the EPL championship. Easily targeted as an offensive thrust by most opposition because he is slow to recover. And with that, he commits fouls. That shirt pull was an instinctive reaction of his whenever he cannot get the better of a player. Most whizz past him. In the build up to the penalty, City were 2 on 1 to get behind us. Not sure who is the culprit who failed to track the City runner into the box. Xhaka comes to mind because he is covering Tierney on the left. Don't want to say he is useless, because he is not. But he remains our weakest link and opposing managers know to exploit that.

Post #505799  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:06 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Didn’t you agree that it’s silly to say we should get fourth but then imply at Tottenham only Kane and Son are better than we have? I would most likely say ‘could’ get fourth is a better word to use, but ‘should’ isn’t that outlandish if you rate us better than Tottenham. Manchester United are the main alternative and their first choice midfield is Fred and McTominay. Moreover their most influential forward is a 37 year old has been.

As I say, could is probably the most sensible word. But if we find a top forward from somewhere in January, I’m not sure should is that outlandish.

Hi Bernard, I suppose it depends on at what point you make the judgement. Before a ball was kicked no one would have said we should get 4th. Now we’re half way through the season we’ve put ourselves in a position where people are talking about the possibility of us finishing 4th. Spurs and Man Uare still ahead if they win their games in hand though.
At the start of the season Man U should have finished top 4, and even right now they should finish top 4. Their squad is huge compared to ours.
We’re definitely in the mix. We could get top 4 absolutely. And I rate our best 11 above spurs, if Man U get their best 11 ticking (which I don’t think they have at any point this season) then they might be tough to beat.

Post #505800  Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:10 am 

https://twitter.com/r75475528/status/14 ... 53152?s=21

These are the sorts of decisions certain players are given leeway for and certain ones are not. Rodri in this clip is not in control and it could be argued there is excessive force in the tackle considering what happens to Martinelli. Some people will argue he wins the ball but that isn’t the factor in determining free kicks. He slips, yes, but he’s out of control. This could have been a yellow for a different player, we didn’t even get a free kick for this.

[ 537937 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12642, 12643, 12644, 12645, 12646, 12647, 12648 ... 13449  Next