Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, grantyboy and 300 guests

Post #500521  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:47 pm 

warrior wrote:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/russia-lose-champions-league-final-after-invasion-of-ukraine/news-story/fd7183bfc1b23ace7f8c3b8c167906b7

Paris will host this season’s Champions League final after Saint Petersburg was stripped of the match due to Russia’s military invasion of Ukraine, UEFA announced on Friday.

The showpiece occasion of the European club season will be played at the Stade de France on Saturday, May 28, European football’s governing body said after holding an emergency meeting in response to the crisis.

Expected and weak statement of intent from UEFA. Freeze all of Abramovich assets and send Chelsea down to League Two and we'll talk.

Post #500522  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:59 pm 

https://www.football365.com/news/mediaw ... -new-henry

Worth scrolling to read F365 take apart the sour press reports of our win v Wolves.

Post #500523  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
The most recent 'last minute winner' in a league game I could find was a 1-0 win at Burnley in November 2017 with Sanchez scoring a 92nd minute penalty.

There have been plenty of late winners, but not ones from 90 minutes onwards

Dec 2018
Attachment:

Post #500524  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:09 pm 

I hadn't watched loads of Wolves games until the two against us, but they are an impressive side. The sort of side that you feel with a bit of investment could really challenge the top 4 as they have a good spine and teamwork. Bruno Lage has done a fantastic job kicking them on from Nuno, I was actually really impressed with his interview as well. Calm, articulate and assured - none of this hyperbole nonsense you see from so many managers.

I also saw Jimenez at the end of the game go over to a group of fans in the Arsenal end who had a Mexican flag and stopped to take a picture with them. I thought that was a class gesture considering his team had just lost the game in the last seconds to give that moment to what were presumably Mexicans but Arsenal fans.

I know we kind of had this little mini rivalry with Wolves this past month but there is a lot to like about what they're doing as a club

Post #500525  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:17 pm 

warrior wrote:
Rich wrote:
The most recent 'last minute winner' in a league game I could find was a 1-0 win at Burnley in November 2017 with Sanchez scoring a 92nd minute penalty.

There have been plenty of late winners, but not ones from 90 minutes onwards

Dec 2018
Attachment:
liv.jpg

Hi Warrior, I meant an Arsenal last minute winner!

Post #500526  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hi Warrior, I meant an Arsenal last minute winner!

Ohhhhhhhhh ...

Post #500527  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:24 pm 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... l-facebook

Mega lolz!

Post #500528  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:18 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10545011/Chelseas-billionaire-owner-Roman-Abramovich-effectively-BARRED-living-Britain.html?ito=social-facebook

Mega lolz!

Shame that. :laughing7:

Post #500529  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:21 pm 

CL final to be heald in Paris at Stade de France, May 28, at 9 pm, CET. That's 8 pm UK. Some knew that already.

Post #500530  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
As much as the two subs were brilliant in changing the game I thought Ødegaard was once again the driving force behind our attacking. And it was more noticeable in the second half that White and Gabriel were winning far more of the longer balls Wolves cleared which is huge for the momentum of attack after attack, making Wolves feel like they can’t get out at all.
I can easily see Ødegaard as the next captain of Arsenal, I didn’t realise he’s been the national team captain for the past year……maybe he could have a word with Haaland

What excitement there was at the end of the game. The atmosphere shared between the crowd, players and even the bench was astonishing and a reason why, apologies to the many here and elsewhere who do, watching games on telly just isn’t the same. The same thrill simply isn’t replicated at home or a pub. Even an Arsenal pub.

Have to agree, also the view from my season ticket provides a far more representative view of how we play. You see the holistic view and interaction of the team together in a way that doesn’t get picked up on tv.

Our fans have been superb this season at home, I do wonder if we are acquiring a younger more enthusiastic fanbase. Bring it on.

Post #500531  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:31 pm 

Quick word on the game.

I’m ashamed to say I missed the winner as I had to go because I was suffering from a combination of work related exhaustion and minor problems at home but was so glad I went to the game as a respite. football can be healing sometimes I think.

I thought that we played well but our first 11 didn’t work, we were hitting far too many predictable balls over the top at martinelli. Like others have said I’d give Pépé a run. Clean legs I think. Feels like we need to switch it up a bit I feel

Ref was ridiculous again. You are watching almost a festival of time wasting now except we are the only ones who get booked for this it seems.

Man of the match for me was Lacazette who despite his hopeless lack of finishing was trying force the issue. Ødegaard was also obviously superb.

Post #500532  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:57 pm 

Don't know if many here are into boxing but if you are, this guy was always a great boxer - and his brother.

What he's doing these days is even more interesting though as he's the current Mayor of Kyiv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitali_Klitschko

Post #500533  Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Our fans have been superb this season at home, I do wonder if we are acquiring a younger more enthusiastic fanbase. Bring it on.

Must admit I’ve long felt that the fans are turning the Emirates into a very atmospheric ground. Compared to other clubs the reputation Arsenal supporters have as a quiet match going fan base is grossly unfair in my view.

Post #500534  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:19 am 

Come on Leeds, get in and beat Spurs today :21encouragement: :22encouragement:

Post #500535  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:35 am 

Bored wrote:
I was very impressed with Wolves yesterday who were quick, technical and really well organised. Arsenal seemed slightly off their best which I think was reflected in the lack of real quality chances. I do wonder if playing once every 7-10 days could could result in a lack of sharpness for the team. Fantastic end to the game and a memorable atmosphere. Its not often you hear fans signing in their thousands outside the ground as they make their way home. Still a long way to go and i have no doubt there will be lots of excruciating twists and turns until the end of the season.

If we let a match once a week or week and a half affect us negatively, we don't deserve 4th. Legs are going to get heavy for all clubs in the league. We will have the luxury of a lot of rest.

If we can't handle that now, how do we expect to go deep into the CL or Europa next season and perform well there and the league? Not even accounting for going deep in either domestic cup.

We will need a big squad for that. Deep in quality as well. This season not having any other committments is a great position to be in. Arteta can't eff that up. Its a young side. His job to keep them sharp and motivated.

Post #500536  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:44 am 

warrior wrote:
Don't know if many here are into boxing but if you are, this guy was always a great boxer - and his brother.

What he's doing these days is even more interesting though as he's the current Mayor of Kyiv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitali_Klitschko

In America, Philly was known as a boxing city. It lived up to the reputation. There is a reason NYer Sylvestr Stallone chose Philly for Rocky's home town. We had 2 boxing rings near us growing up. At 14 I tried my hand at it...lol. My older brother was told I was 'too nice', no killer instinct. We all did it as a hobby though, it was what others were doing.

Anyway, both brothers had a storied career. I think boxing, at least in America has dropped off significantly. Bert Sugar a long time boxing analyst was asked about it. He said our heavyweight champions are all playing linebacker in the NFL. Truth is the boxing clubs closed, mainy for financial reasons. No one boxes any more.

No disrespect to the brothers but I don't think they'd have done as well in the early to mid 90s Tyson era and shortly after. The greatest decade for heavyweights especially was in the '70s. There were guys there who were not champion I fancy would take the title now. That decade was loaded. Very, very loaded. Any given night, Ali, Frazier, Shavers, Lyle, Foster, Jimmy Young, Page, Norton, Holmes, Foreman, could take the title and a slew of others including Ellis, Bugner, Quarry, could give you a lot of trouble.

Post #500537  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:47 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
No disrespect to the brothers but I don't think they'd have done as well in the early to mid 90s Tyson era and shortly after.

American - You may have missed the interesting bit though.

He's the current Mayor of Kyiv, Ukraine.

Post #500538  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:16 am 

lol..sorry, I went off on my own rant about boxing. A sport I grew up watching, doing a bit and still a fan of but not as much as I used to be.

I took a look at his party. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian ... for_Reform
Ukrainian Democratic Alliance for Reform.

"UDAR tends to avoid sensitive and polarising subjects and focuses instead on popular topics, such as more empowerment to ordinary Ukrainians and a ruthless campaign against corruption, the indifference of the authorities, the lack of local governance, inequality, and poverty. The party wants to "unleash the power of the state and provide conditions for welfare".

I wanted to see what his politics are and not knowing anything about Ukrainian politics looked it up. Seems fairly progressive.

Post #500539  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:43 am 

I think Leeds can get something out of the game against Spurs but not expecting Watford to mount much of a challenge vs Man Utd but hope springs eternal.

Post #500540  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:25 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I think Leeds can get something out of the game against Spurs but not expecting Watford to mount much of a challenge vs Man Utd but hope springs eternal.

I think both Leeds and watford can score but expect both to be easily beaten. Setting low expectations to hopefully be pleasantly surprised

Post #500541  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:40 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I will be pleasantly surprised if Leeds or Watford get anything from their games today. Defensively Leeds are all over the shop, so I imagine Kane and Son will be looking forward to todays match.

Post #500542  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:16 am 

Leeds are a tough nut to crack. Tottenham (Man Utd also) aren't looking like world beaters. I think a draw out of the Leeds vs Tottenham game is a reasonable expectation. I don't expect Watford to do the same. It would a welcome surprise if it does.

Post #500543  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:39 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Quick word on the game.

I’m ashamed to say I missed the winner as I had to go because I was suffering from a combination of work related exhaustion and minor problems at home but was so glad I went to the game as a respite. football can be healing sometimes I think.

I thought that we played well but our first 11 didn’t work, we were hitting far too many predictable balls over the top at martinelli. Like others have said I’d give Pépé a run. Clean legs I think. Feels like we need to switch it up a bit I feel

Ref was ridiculous again. You are watching almost a festival of time wasting now except we are the only ones who get booked for this it seems.

Man of the match for me was Lacazette who despite his hopeless lack of finishing was trying force the issue. Ødegaard was also obviously superb.

I wonder if he was trying to cross or to score. One feels a player should get credited with an assist when an own goal results!

Post #500544  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:20 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Leeds are a tough nut to crack. Tottenham (Man Utd also) aren't looking like world beaters. I think a draw out of the Leeds vs Tottenham game is a reasonable expectation. I don't expect Watford to do the same. It would a welcome surprise if it does.

Tough nut?

They have let in more goals than any other club and have the second worse goal difference.

Post #500545  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:32 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Tough nut?

They have let in more goals than any other club and have the second worse goal difference.

As I said a day or two back, I think Leeds are in big danger of relegation.

Post #500546  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:18 am 

Decaf wrote:
I wonder if he was trying to cross or to score. One feels a player should get credited with an assist when an own goal results!
It looked to me as if he was passing to Saka rather than wildly mis-shooting.

Post #500547  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:28 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
It looked to me as if he was passing to Saka rather than wildly mis-shooting.

I was impressed that Saka had got himself into that position for what would have been a tap in.

Post #500548  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Tough nut?

The tough nut to crack are 3 down inside half an hour.

Post #500549  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:04 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Tough nut?

The tough nut to crack are 3 down inside half an hour.

Not been watching it but it sounds like Leeds are bad enough to even make Tottenham look good.

Post #500550  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:26 pm 

Well there goes the goal difference. *%^@*** Leeds :laughing7:

Post #500551  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:35 pm 

So the world has to watch Ukraine getting torn to pieces like it’s some sort of sporting event whilst one of the globes largest armies uses hi tech weapons to blow up blocks of flats of people. You can’t avoid it on the tv and radio a feel like some sort of voyeur when you hear about the carnage.

Every western politician should be painted in Ukrainian colours and dumped in Kyiv. Complete bunch of *%^@*** failures the lot of them. Also likewise for any of the dinlows supporting obvious Russian foreign policy initiatives like *%^@*** brexit, trump and covid denial. Take a look at yourselves you absolute total and utter morons.

Boot every *%^@*** Russian out the country, take their money, property in west London the lot. An absolute failure in humanity.

Thousands of deaths for what, absolutely *%^@*** nothing. If you think we can solve issues like climate change you are kidding yourselves. The world is an evil place.

Post #500552  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:01 pm 

This is probably not a day where we can expect teams to do us any favours. Leeds are in free fall at the moment - they're even worse defensively than last season, and has lost all their attacking edge that made them such an entertaining side last year. Expecting Man Utd to beat Watford quite comfortably as well.

West Ham vs Wolves tomorrow is interesting. A draw would be really nice, because I'm not really sure what other result would benefit us the most. Wolves win and they're two points behind us with us having two games in hand. West Ham win and the go ahead of us on goal difference, but we'll have three games in hand. Wolves are in great form, so perhaps it would be a good thing to see them lose some of their momentum, but I still think West Ham is the slightly better team.

Post #500553  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:20 pm 

Okay Watford, you're next up. Leeds let us down, time for you to step up.

Post #500554  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:49 pm 

That "tough nut" Leeds just lost 4-0 to Spurs. :14laughter:

Adios Bielsa.

Post #500555  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:22 pm 

Cristiano has got the biggest Adam's apple in footballdom.

Post #500556  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:22 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
So the world has to watch Ukraine getting torn to pieces like it’s some sort of sporting event whilst one of the globes largest armies uses hi tech weapons to blow up blocks of flats of people. You can’t avoid it on the tv and radio a feel like some sort of voyeur when you hear about the carnage.

Every western politician should be painted in Ukrainian colours and dumped in Kyiv. Complete bunch of *%^@*** failures the lot of them. Also likewise for any of the dinlows supporting obvious Russian foreign policy initiatives like *%^@*** brexit, trump and covid denial. Take a look at yourselves you absolute total and utter morons.

Boot every *%^@*** Russian out the country, take their money, property in west London the lot. An absolute failure in humanity.

Thousands of deaths for what, absolutely *%^@*** nothing. If you think we can solve issues like climate change you are kidding yourselves. The world is an evil place.
Well done TG! That is at least a five for the price of one post - six if we count climate change. You missed out on the anti-Artetas and Xhaka though...

Post #500557  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:31 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Well done TG! That is at least a five for the price of one post - six if we count climate change. You missed out on the anti-Artetas and Xhaka though...

Sorry, was just listening to radio 5 and it’s really hard listening to these poor poor *%^@ers begging for help that won’t be coming

Not sure I can pin this on xhaka although I thought he was *%^@ against wolves.

Post #500558  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:50 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
This is probably not a day where we can expect teams to do us any favours. Leeds are in free fall at the moment - they're even worse defensively than last season, and has lost all their attacking edge that made them such an entertaining side last year. Expecting Man Utd to beat Watford quite comfortably as well.

A very fine jinx by me, if I may say so myself.

Post #500559  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:51 pm 

United drop points.

Post #500560  Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:52 pm 

Watford got it done, a ton of counter opportunities but shots looked like the gang that couldn't shoot straight. Even at the end, they had a chance for a last minute winner. Partey is looking at Watford's Kuco and saying 'He can't hit a barn door'.

[ 529274 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12511, 12512, 12513, 12514, 12515, 12516, 12517 ... 13232  Next