Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 270 guests

Post #500361  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:48 am 

We haven't had a player like Partey with his specific skillset in a while.

Post #500362  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:07 am 

Goonie wrote:
Strong rumours of Partey joining us. Looks the part of a strong midfield enforcer we've been missing since Vieira left. AMN in our midfield is also an interesting development.

Unless I’m missing something (entirely possible), all I’ve seen this morning is that one of Partey’s international team mates is urging him to join us. Doesn’t sound an awful lot to me. Yesterday the evidence that he’d be joining us seemed to be little more than reports that he’s open to playing in the Premier League. Fine, but Arsenal aren’t the only members of the Premier League and there are bigger, richer and more successful clubs than us as well.

From what I’ve heard of Partey, I hope we get him as he sounds a kind of midfielder we could do with. But from what I’ve read, the likelihood of him coming to us sounds much less than, for example, the prospects of Werner going to Chelsea. Anyway, I suggest the huge majority of transfer rumours are garbage based on little more than the imagination of journalists trying to get people reading reports. Accuracy seems a lesser priority from what I‘ve seen over many years.

If I am trying to be positive about our chances of getting Partey, it’s if Atletico still want Lacazette. If that’s the case, maybe both clubs would be willing to get some sort of exchange between the two players over the line. I’ve got a feeling Rich implied this quite recently.

However, a negative side to this idea is that swap deals are inevitably more complicated to complete. Instead of the buying club getting their financial offer for someone accepted by the selling club and then agreeing terms with the player involved, there is this complication. The two clubs have to reach agreement over the fiscal value of two players rather than just one, with one club paying another more if they can’t agree they’re worth exactly the same. Both players will then have to agree terms with the clubs they are joining, rather than only one having to agree terms with a new club.

As I say, I hope Partey does join us. But from what I’m reading, it’s way too early to get all that excited about the transfer yet.

Post #500363  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:56 pm 

Darren wrote:
DHD wrote:
Is anyone else getting seriously worried at the increasingly extreme, reactionary and downright bizarre actions of POTUS? Does anybody believe or trust him?

Is anybody getting seriously angry at the way Boris and his cronies are treating us like serfs with their lies, damn lies and statistics? Does anybody believe or trust them?

Trump is clearly displaying fascistic traits now. A revolting narcissist who needs to be removed from office.

F&&^%%#$ idiot .... you've got no idea about US politics .... my brother who thankfuully I see once a year spends 24/7 in the same mode

Trump ......... apparently killed both Kennedy's , Luther King , Marilyn Monroe , John Lennon , Jimmy Hoffa .and caused the 2008 financial crash

...... try reading a different news source .

Post #500364  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:43 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Darren wrote:
Trump is clearly displaying fascistic traits now. A revolting narcissist who needs to be removed from office.

F&&^%%#$ idiot .... you've got no idea about US politics .... my brother who thankfuully I see once a year spends 24/7 in the same mode

Trump ......... apparently killed both Kennedy's , Luther King , Marilyn Monroe , John Lennon , Jimmy Hoffa .and caused the 2008 financial crash

kiwi has been away from the forum a bit lately because he was clearly busy taking a course on subtlety.

Post #500365  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:05 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Darren wrote:

I’ve recently spent time with a couple of people who have had direct dealings, both social and business, with Trump. They both said he was a dangerous narcissist, and one agreed that they thought he was sick. No “news source” required.

Post #500366  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:00 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I’ve recently spent time with a couple of people who have had direct dealings, both social and business, with Trump. They both said he was a dangerous narcissist, and one agreed that they thought he was sick. No “news source” required.

:laughing7: Wonderful ....... always helps to have a couple of anonymous sources to bolster your case .
.... yeah I had a couple of rums with Trey Gowdy a fortnight ago and he agrees Trump isn't the greatest dude on the planet ..... he also told me .........Hamstrung by the minefield of judges , mayors , governors , congressmen / women senators , the CIA , FBI , NSA , Secret Service , fifty states all marching to a different agenda . an avalanche of total b%*&s%*^ coming from CNN , BBC , MSBC , NBC , ABC it's a wonder he has achieved anything at all .

Post #500367  Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

kiwi has been away from the forum a bit lately because he was clearly busy taking a course on subtlety.

:laughing7: :12hello-bye: too true Bernard , I guess old age , turned 75 couple of months back leads to this tendency to sugarcoat things , tone it down ..... not really tell it how it is .

Post corona ..... the Aussie Rugby league re -started a couple of weeks back .

No fans allowed but they came up with a novel scenario .....,"FANS IN THE STANDS " for $22 you can have a life sized cut out of yourself , your wife , your dog propped up on a seat , they have some taped subtle crowd noises .... quite good .

EDIT ...although having just checked ..... some turkeys paid for a cut out of Adolf Hitler and Harold Shipman which didn't go down to well .

Post #500368  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:29 am 

:15laughter: :bs:

Post #500369  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I understand he will have to resit the exam next week. But you have to admire 75 yo males putting themselves out there to challenge all and sundry. Even if they are talking total bollocks.

Post #500370  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 am 

We're being linked with some interesting people.
Thiago Silva, out of contract but at 35 he's past it. Not sure what his wage demands would be but if we got a bargain without sacrificing a younger, better player for the same position.
The Partey rumors grow stronger, could love for that to happen. Even if we have to sell one of our gems up front.
And Luca Jovic loan rumors...

Post #500371  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:34 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

:laughing7: :12hello-bye: too true Bernard , I guess old age , turned 75 couple of months back leads to this tendency to sugarcoat things , tone it down ..... not really tell it how it is .

No fans allowed but they came up with a novel scenario .....,"FANS IN THE STANDS " for $22 you can have a life sized cut out of yourself , your wife , your dog propped up on a seat , they have some taped subtle crowd noises .... quite good .

EDIT ...although having just checked ..... some turkeys paid for a cut out of Adolf Hitler and Harold Shipman which didn't go down to well .

Phew. At least it was just Hitler and Shipman. Don't know if you've been following the UK news Kiwi, but it could have been worse. It could have been Churchill :8surprise: or God help us, Trump :8surprise:

Post #500372  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:36 am 

kiwipete wrote:
F&&^%%#$ idiot .... you've got no idea about US politics ...

And you do? All I've ever seen you do on the subject is parrot right wing talking points, peddle conspiracy theories and yell about CNN. Guess what, it's not just CNN, it's trusted media from all over the world because it's not difficult to listen to what he says and then look at the actual facts, something you seem completely unwilling to do.

But by all means, have another drink and continue yelling at everyone who doesn't like fascism. Doesn't make you look at all like a demented bigot.

Post #500373  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:44 am 

Trump at least didn't murder Swedish prime minister Olof Palme in 1986. The police just presented their conclusion and closed the investigation, 34 years after the murder. This is really the weirdest year.

Post #500374  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Phew. At least it was just Hitler and Shipman. Don't know if you've been following the UK news Kiwi, but it could have been worse. It could have been Churchill :8surprise: or God help us, Trump :8surprise:

Fascinating idea though. Think of all the female fans who will be spending their £22 on life size cut outs of Joanne Dennehy, Beverley Allitt, Rose West or Myra Hindley. Up in Scotland I bet cut outs of Peter Tobin will be popular with male Celtic fans as he supported them (or ‘supports’ as he’s still alive). Think of the demand for Peter Sutcliffe cut outs with Leeds fans. Dale Cregan cut outs with Manchester United fans.

I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal. Seen reports that Reggie Kray was. Mad Frankie Fraser was definitely a big Arsenal fan.

Post #500375  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:31 am 

This may eclipse the Brexit debate in both severity and vitriol. :7laughter:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/th ... rock-bands
The 10 worst albums by 10 brilliant classic rock bands

1. Deep Purple - The Battle Rages On...
2. Kiss - Carnival Of Souls: The Final Sessions
3. Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
4. Alice Cooper - Goes To Hell
5. Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue
6. Pink Floyd - Soundtrack from the film More
7. Jethro Tull - The Jethro Tull Christmas Album
8. Queen - Made In Heaven
9. Bob Seger - Noah
10. Eagles - On The Border

Post #500376  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Fascinating idea though. Think of all the female fans who will be spending their £22 on life size cut outs of Joanne Dennehy, Beverley Allitt, Rose West or Myra Hindley. Up in Scotland I bet cut outs of Peter Tobin will be popular with male Celtic fans as he supported them (or ‘supports’ as he’s still alive). Think of the demand for Peter Sutcliffe cut outs with Leeds fans. Dale Cregan cut outs with Manchester United fans.

I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal. Seen reports that Reggie Kray was. Mad Frankie Fraser was definitely a big Arsenal fan.

Wasn't Osama bin Laden a gooner?

Post #500377  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:31 pm 

Bernard wrote:
...I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal. Seen reports that Reggie Kray was. Mad Frankie Fraser was definitely a big Arsenal fan.
Frankie was never convicted of murder, although he was quoted as saying “It’s alleged I’ve killed 40 people and who am I to disagree with that? I’ve always said I like even numbers.”

Post #500378  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wasn't Osama bin Laden a gooner?

You’re right Bromley he was. Well remembered.

Post #500379  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal.

Stretching the point admittedly, but might our Sovereign Lady (may she sustain) have a few stiffs to answer for?

Post #500380  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:32 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
...I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal. Seen reports that Reggie Kray was. Mad Frankie Fraser was definitely a big Arsenal fan.
Frankie was never convicted of murder, although he was quoted as saying “It’s alleged I’ve killed 40 people and who am I to disagree with that? I’ve always said I like even numbers.”

You’re correct he wasn’t actually committed of murder. But whether it was forty or not, I’d be very surprised if he didn’t do any.

Post #500381  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:37 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I’m trying to think of famous murderers who supported Arsenal.

Stretching the point admittedly, but might our Sovereign Lady (may she sustain) have a few stiffs to answer for?

Do you mean the Queen? If so, who are you suggesting she bumped off? Diana? Did the Queen hire Diana’s rat-arsed driver?

Post #500382  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:01 pm 

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1270 ... 00898?s=20

Pathetic.

Post #500383  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:23 pm 

Seems the late Fidel Castro was also an Arsenal fan.

Post #500384  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 pm 

Zed wrote:
Seems the late Fidel Castro was also an Arsenal fan.

Yes he was.

Post #500385  Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:24 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Didn't know we were playing Brentford. Took the lead twice but still lost 2-3. But it looked like Brentford goals came only after we made many subs - guess that affected the performance.

Wonder if our friend from across the Atlantic will start blaming Mustafi for conceding three against Brentford? If he does, perhaps you or someone else he hasn’t blocked could tell him we conceded all three goals after Mustafi went off. According to Arsenal.com Mustafi was substituted after 60 minutes. Brentford scored their first after about 70 minutes, which they followed up with a further two.

Post #500386  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:56 am 

It's a friendly so its difficult to say the result was bad in context.

Post #500387  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:19 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Didn't know we were playing Brentford. Took the lead twice but still lost 2-3. But it looked like Brentford goals came only after we made many subs - guess that affected the performance.

Wonder if our friend from across the Atlantic will start blaming Mustafi for conceding three against Brentford? If he does, perhaps you or someone else he hasn’t blocked could tell him we conceded all three goals after Mustafi went off. According to Arsenal.com Mustafi was substituted after 60 minutes. Brentford scored their first after about 70 minutes, which they followed up with a further two.

Info from the Arsenal website. The subs at 60 minutes in the defence
60 - Sokratis for Bellerin
60 - Holding for Mustafi
60 - Kolasinac for Tierney

Even then we had only scored once prior to this time. This result does not fill me with joy. The first half team had been
First half XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, Pablo Mari, Tierney; Willock, Ceballos, Saka; Pépé, Nketiah, Aubameyang

The following started the second half:
Second half XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, David Luiz, Tierney; Maitland-Niles, Guendouzi, Özil; Aubameyang, Lacazette, Saka

I would have expected better. It is not as if we had on a pile of non first team players involved.

Post #500388  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:04 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
60 - Holding for Mustafi

Even then we had only scored once prior to this time. This result does not fill me with joy. The first half team had been
First half XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, Pablo Mari, Tierney; Willock, Ceballos, Saka; Pépé, Nketiah, Aubameyang

Second half XI: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, David Luiz, Tierney; Maitland-Niles, Guendouzi, Özil; Aubameyang, Lacazette, Saka

I would have expected better. It is not as if we had on a pile of non first team players involved.

In my view the defensive substitutions on the hour all involved bringing on worse players than the guys who went off. But I’m not going to get worried about the result. These games against Charlton and Brentford were little more than part of a warm up or fitness strategy that were presumably a bit more competitive than playing the youth team would have been.

Perhaps if anyone should get slightly worried it’s Charlton as we slaughtered them before losing to Brentford. Having said that, I would guess Brentford must be a better side than Charlton as I thought they were supposed to be fighting for a place in the Championship play offs for promotion to the Premier League. I don’t remember Charlton ever being mentioned in that context on the rare occasions I heard the play off fight being mentioned on Talksport. Maybe they are. Or could they be way down the Championship? Indeed, I don’t even know what division Charlton are in these days. For all I know they might be in League 1, or even League 2.

But just like the Charlton result didn’t enthuse me that much, the Brentford result doesn’t really concern me. I see both games as fitness events in a semi-competitive environment.

Post #500389  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:41 am 

I’d never heard of La Liga TV until just now. I fancied watching the Seville match this evening. It turns out that Sky haven’t been showing La Liga games for a couple of seasons.

Apparently “People in the UK have missed Spanish football,” LaLigaTV’s Simon Hanley told the Independent on a visit to its Barcelona studios last month.” Obviously I didn’t.

Seems that the Spanish league have set up their own TV channel which they control and sell. Sky subscribers can see it for an extra £6 per month although the next couple of weeks are covered by a free trial.

I wonder how long before the Premier League goes that way.

Post #500390  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:31 am 

long time gooner wrote:
I’d never heard of La Liga TV until just now. I fancied watching the Seville match this evening. It turns out that Sky haven’t been showing La Liga games for a couple of seasons.

Apparently “People in the UK have missed Spanish football,” LaLigaTV’s Simon Hanley told the Independent on a visit to its Barcelona studios last month.” Obviously I didn’t.

Seems that the Spanish league have set up their own TV channel which they control and sell. Sky subscribers can see it for an extra £6 per month although the next couple of weeks are covered by a free trial.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rts-rights

Post #500391  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:05 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rts-rights

Would be okay for you but not me then..

The chances of a “Premflix” channel happening in England, where Sky Sports has around six million subscribers and BT Sport close to two million, are slim. But Masters suggested a two-tiered system – with some countries watching games shown by existing TV broadcasters and others streamed directly by the Premier League – was inevitable. “I’m not saying it will happen in the next cycle or when it will happen but eventually the Premier League will move to a mix of direct consumer and media rights sales,” he said. “It is impossible to say when that will be.”

Post #500392  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 pm 

Actually as a general point I find the whole location issue immensely annoying. I pay for a service (like Sky or BT Sport or Eurosport) but am not allowed to access when abroad. Simply ridiculous.

Post #500393  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
60 - Holding for Mustafi

In my view the defensive substitutions on the hour all involved bringing on worse players than the guys who went off. But I’m not going to get worried about the result. These games against Charlton and Brentford were little more than part of a warm up or fitness strategy that were presumably a bit more competitive than playing the youth team would have been.

Perhaps if anyone should get slightly worried it’s Charlton as we slaughtered them before losing to Brentford. Having said that, I would guess Brentford must be a better side than Charlton as I thought they were supposed to be fighting for a place in the Championship play offs for promotion to the Premier League. I don’t remember Charlton ever being mentioned in that context on the rare occasions I heard the play off fight being mentioned on Talksport. Maybe they are. Or could they be way down the Championship? Indeed, I don’t even know what division Charlton are in these days. For all I know they might be in League 1, or even League 2.

But just like the Charlton result didn’t enthuse me that much, the Brentford result doesn’t really concern me. I see both games as fitness events in a semi-competitive environment.

Charlton are in the Championship. They fell into the bottom 3 just before lockdown. Which is why I was hoping the Championship would be binned this season. Another club where the fans have been shafted by a succession of owners not fit for purpose. I hope they can stay up but not looking likely as their best player Lyle Taylor is now refusing to play as his contract expires at the end of June.

Post #500394  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Do you mean the Queen? If so, who are you suggesting she bumped off? Diana? Did the Queen hire Diana’s rat-arsed driver?

I'm suggesting there perhaps she'd be one of the few Gooners who have had wars fought in their name.

Presumably as Head of State, many infamous murderers would have been executed 'at her pleasure'? I bet you know how many.

Post #500395  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 pm 

If Hodd happens to look in, do you have any news of a reported cull of Academy Scouts?

Post #500396  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:48 pm 

I'll be very interested to see how teams are affected by no fans being in the stadium. Lots of early conclusions have been made from the Bundesliga games that have taken place behind closed doors.
One thought was that those teams who typically have less possession have struggled in home matches as they don't have the fans to feed off for that extra burst of fitness/stamina.
I think about the number of times I've watched Arsenal away from home where we've failed to quieten the crowd, it could be as simple as dwelling on the ball and a forward blocking a clearance, it gets an underdog crowd up for it and the opposition players really do feed off that.
I think we can benefit from no fans in comparison to a lot of clubs in the league. Certainly away from home against some vociferous home fans. In our home games it is only really in some of the biggest games that our crowd really seem to get going and provide impetus for the team.

Post #500397  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:06 pm 

ltg, have you tried using a VPN when abroad for access?

Post #500398  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:08 pm 

Anthony Taylor is the ref for the Man City match next Wednesday.

Post #500399  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:52 pm 

DHD wrote:
Presumably as Head of State, many infamous murderers would have been executed 'at her pleasure'? I bet you know how many.

I’ve just looked it up. The current Queen was crowned on 2nd June 1953. The executions after that date totalled 69. Interestingly the first was that of John Christie of 10 Rillington Place fame on Wednesday 15th July 1953. Hanged by Albert Pierrepoint at Pentonville Prison, quite close to Arsenal’s ground.

Post #500400  Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
I think we can benefit from no fans in comparison to a lot of clubs in the league. Certainly away from home against some vociferous home fans. In our home games it is only really in some of the biggest games that our crowd really seem to get going and provide impetus for the team.

I’ve been to over fifty different clubs as an away fan following Arsenal. More grounds than that as quite a few have built or use new stadiums. To be honest I don’t think Arsenal’s home support is much different to pretty well any club. I went to our away Champions League game at Celtic Park some years ago and their home support wasn’t noisy enough to make them noticeably different. Maybe it’s better when Rangers are the away team, but the only two Old Firm derbies I’ve been to were both at Ibrox.

Indeed on one of them, the Rangers Celtic game was the same weekend as a Tottenham Arsenal match at White Hart Lane (the Glasgow derby was on the Saturday and the North London one the next day on the Sunday). I went to both. Believe it or not, there wasn’t that much of a noticeable difference in the atmosphere at each.

I’ve seen Arsenal at places like the Manchester clubs (both City and United), the Merseyside clubs (both Liverpool and Everton), the north east (Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough), Leeds, Aston Villa, Tottenham, Chelsea and West Ham plus countless smaller clubs and I honestly don’t consider Arsenal’s home support as consistently worse than any of them. Not enough to make me notice anyway.

[ 559787 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12507, 12508, 12509, 12510, 12511, 12512, 12513 ... 13995  Next