Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 287 guests

Post #500081  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:18 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
George Swindin was i/c for my first match

We were living at 128 Highbury Hill when I was first taken over road to a match (do a 360 turn on 'Street View'), but as a babe-in-arms, I have no recollection whatever of the occasion. I continued to be taken to matches all through my childhood so no match ever stood out for me. As a toddler/child, they would mostly have been Reserve games or 'quiet' ones.

Since you mention him, I do remember seeing George Swindin playing in goal for us in a Reserve match, but only because somebody (probably the old man) specifically pointed out to me how odd it was for the Manager not to be with the First team who were playing away. Not sure I even knew that Swindin was our manager.

I also remember seeing Stanley Matthews playing against us, again because he was specifically pointed out to me - probably because he was older than the old man. Can't remember whether he was playing for Blackpool or Stoke though.

Post #500082  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:29 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Later for me, explained by your huge age, having fought at Agincourt. Bertie Mee’s era, a 3-0 (Graham scored two, Armstrong one) home win against Nottingham Forest on 23rd December 1967. Eleven years to the day before the 0-5 win at White Hart Lane when Brady scored ‘that goal’.

In the Forest team that day were Joe Baker, the former Arsenal forward, and Jim Baxter, the former Rangers legend.

Saturday 17 April 1971. We beat Newcastle 1-0 with a Charlie George goal which is still shown on TV now and again. The same day Leeds got mugged by an offside decision and lost at home to WBA 2-1, which meant with our win we went top.

Highbury was a magical sight for the 8 year old me.

I remember your one well. And the fuss Revie made about the WBA goal.

Post #500083  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yes it was. An away match where goals count double in the event of a draw.

A 1 all was no reason for mass suicide

Ok maybe I am being pedantic but away goals don't double. The away goals rule is that if two teams finish level after both ties the one with the most away goals is allowed progress to the next round. Officially the tie is listed as a draw.

Post #500084  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:
Saturday 17 April 1971. We beat Newcastle 1-0 with a Charlie George goal which is still shown on TV now and again. The same day Leeds got mugged by an offside decision and lost at home to WBA 2-1, which meant with our win we went top.

Highbury was a magical sight for the 8 year old me.

I remember your one well. And the fuss Revie made about the WBA goal.

Weirdly I remember that game because it was one of the handful of occasions that I was at the Clock End. No idea why. Their supporters were a cheery, friendly and resigned bunch.

Post #500085  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:03 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-told-leave-liverpool-john-barnes

I like Oxlade-Chamberlain but selling him for £35-40m was a very good sale. His injuries alone make it a good sale

The hard choice for him is regular play vs trophies. The regular play 'could' come with trophies depending on where but domestically, I can't see any of the top 6 clubs buying him save West Ham...maybe. Not sure a big enough continental side would want him either.

He's won everything you could as a club player, and he's only 27, prime years. Tough choice for him. Play sparingly and collect trophies or go and play more? Hmm...not sure which one I'd choose.

Post #500086  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:04 pm 

I assume you've seen 'Better Call Saul', ltg.

Post #500087  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Willian out! :12hello-bye:

Can we have a show of forum hands on how many watched arsenal in the early to mid 80s, mid ish 90s before Rioch and even darker times earlier?

I genuinely think some of the posters here wouldn’t have the disposition to have endured those moments in time without self harming.

Anyway gooner 7 , I swap your Willian for Eddie mcgoldrick and Glen Helder.

Time for some perspective

Chill TG, just pulling legs for fun

I was an Arsenal fan from around the 70s

Post #500088  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:24 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

Breaking Bad. Classic.

Loved that show .... watch Billions & Homeland if you have not yet done so

Post #500089  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:32 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Breaking Bad. Classic.

Loved that show .... watch Billions & Homeland if you have not yet done so

Already done. And you’re right. They are good.

I think that The Wire is my favourite ever.

Post #500090  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:28 pm 

Willian getting racial abuse now from some knuckle draggers on Instagram.

Post #500091  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:35 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

The bending the knee stuff not getting through.

Name, shame, penalise.

It won’t change mindsets but at least it would help to reduce it. The trouble is that such ridiculous prejudices are so totally ingrained.

Post #500092  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:52 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Breaking Bad - Not a great look for the US healthcare system AG.

Where a guy has to make commercial quantities of meth to pay for his medical bills.

:20hospitals:

Post #500093  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:18 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

This is too much .. totally unnecessary

Post #500094  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:30 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Bloody Instagram and Twitter. Why can't the racist and homophobic morons who post this poison be named and shamed?

Post #500095  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:43 pm 

tomc wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Bloody Instagram and Twitter. Why can't the racist and homophobic morons who post this poison be named and shamed?

The government should be named and shamed first

They have the technology to stop this instantly I assure you. They could legislate, penalise and imprison but don’t and instead Nick Clegg is now employed by Facebook

It’s part of the plan and the victims are just pawns because nobody wants to stand up the US on this

Post #500096  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Btw Ødegaard looks some player. Can’t see Madrid letting him go he could be another De Bruyne

Stranger things have happened.

I'm really looking forward to the City game. We'll probably lose because they are *&^te hot. And because we are the Arsenal.

But its nice that the late Wenger sinking dread feeling of 'we'll certainly lose heavily' when facing top opposition, is well and truly gone.

I sense we can beat ... or lose to ... anyone in the division these day.

Post #500097  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:09 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

The bending the knee stuff not getting through.

Name, shame, penalise.

It won’t change mindsets but at least it would help to reduce it. The trouble is that such ridiculous prejudices are so totally ingrained.

Absolutely.

People are so convinced of their opinions, and care so little for the damage done.

A little bit of humility and empathy would go such a long way.

Post #500098  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:18 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Btw Ødegaard looks some player. Can’t see Madrid letting him go he could be another De Bruyne

I'm really looking forward to the City game. We'll probably lose because they are *&^te hot. And because we are the Arsenal.

But its nice that the late Wenger sinking dread feeling of 'we'll certainly lose heavily' when facing top opposition, is well and truly gone.

But you have made a very good point there. We were getting absolutely butchered againest those top sides. 5,68

It’s not really happening anymore

Post #500099  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

They have the technology to stop this instantly I assure you. They could legislate, penalise and imprison but don’t and instead Nick Clegg is now employed by Facebook

It’s part of the plan and the victims are just pawns because nobody wants to stand up the US on this

On the contrary, if there is ever going to be a rational system of regulation of social media, it will come from the US. It will also have to be very, very careful. The excesses of free speech are ugly indeed. However, the remedy is very often worse than the disease. Apart from anything, right-wingers have a tendency to squeal like stuck pigs if what they think to be their 'rights' are violated by 'cancel culture. The sequel is they then rush off en masse and vote for populist arseholes like Trump.

At a deeper level, I don't think social media is the problem, any more than seeing an increasing ugly mug in front of me every morning is the fault of the mirror or the lighting.

You can't legislate decency and respect. Once a society has lost it, its damnably hard to get it back.

Good luck to Biden trying to claw it back gradually.

Post #500100  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:33 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I was in Cape Cod for the 8-2 Man U pasting.

My eldest son (unsurprisingly also a Gooner) was best man for a wedding and the bride was the daughter of the owner of the hotel chain (where the wedding party stayed). And there was a hurricane which put out all the power. But the father of the bride arranged for generators and a special breakfast grouping to watch the match.

I certainly won’t ever forget that occasion.

The bonus was that the hurricane was threatened to be so severe that all the Americans had fled. When the weather picked up a couple of days later we had Cape Cod virtually empty. We don’t dare go back. It will never be that idyllic again.

Post #500101  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

On the contrary, if there is ever going to be a rational system of regulation of social media, it will come from the US. It will also have to be very, very careful. The excesses of free speech are ugly indeed. However, the remedy is very often worse than the disease. Apart from anything, right-wingers have a tendency to squeal like stuck pigs if what they think to be their 'rights' are violated by 'cancel culture. The sequel is they then rush off en masse and vote for populist arseholes like Trump.

At a deeper level, I don't think social media is the problem, any more than seeing an increasing ugly mug in front of me every morning is the fault of the mirror or the lighting.

You can't legislate decency and respect. Once a society has lost it, its damnably hard to get it back.

Good luck to Biden trying to claw it back gradually.

You’ll be waiting a long time my friend.

Post #500102  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

But you have made a very good point there. We were getting absolutely butchered againest those top sides. 5,68

That 8 still draws a nasty wince. We hadn't yet become numbed to being pummelled.

But the nadir, in terms of being totally and utterly outclassed, must be that massacre by Bayern. I'd kind of stopped noticing by then.

Post #500103  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:50 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That 8 still draws a nasty wince. We hadn't yet become numbed to being pummelled.

But the nadir, in terms of being totally and utterly outclassed, must be that massacre by Bayern. I'd kind of stopped noticing by then.

The chelsea one at Stamford bridge on Wengers anniversary just ridiculous. It’s been going awry for years

Post #500104  Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 pm 

Decaf wrote:
You can't legislate decency and respect.

This is very true Decaf. Those two qualities are in short supply these days.

Post #500105  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:07 am 

Wilfred Zaha has become the first PL player to no longer 'take the knee" as he feels it's degrading. He states that it isn't working and will "stand tall" against racism. Nor will he display "Black Lives Matter" on his shirt anymore as he feels that it's a target.

Post #500106  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:20 am 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Breaking Bad - Not a great look for the US healthcare system AG.

Where a guy has to make commercial quantities of meth to pay for his medical bills.

:20hospitals:

When big Pharma, the AMA (American Medical Association that represents doctors), nurses unions, HMOs, etc, the whole healthcare industry has more power and influence with the government than the people do, that tends to happen. They guarantee themselves a healthy, often obscene profit at the people's expense with the government's say so.

Post #500107  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:32 am 

long time gooner wrote:
I think that The Wire is my favourite ever.

The Wire is excellent. Many argue back and forth between that and The Sopranos as the best tv show ever. My view is, at its best, The Sopranos is unsurpassed but The Wire was consistently better. Nary a bad episode in The Wire but The Sopranos had some uncharacteristically weak episodes (Tony Sopranos dream state for example...???).

You may want to also take a look at:

This Is Us
Ozark
The Lie (I think its a Canadian movie actually)
Succession
Goliath
Godfather of Harlem
The Imposters
...and yes, it's a wonder I do anything but watch TV. :toothy9:

Post #500108  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:48 am 

Bernard one for you. When we play our home game in Greece do you consider that the stadium will be one more place that can correctly be said to be our home ground like highbury, Wembley while we remodelled and Emirates. In the Second World War we played home games at WHLane. Or is it just a location where we had to play home ties in Europe. Subtle difference.

Post #500109  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:53 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard one for you. When we play our home game in Greece do you consider that the stadium will be one more place that can correctly be said to be our home ground like highbury, Wembley while we remodelled and Emirates. In the Second World War we played home games at WHLane. Or is it just a location where we had to play home ties in Europe. Subtle difference.

Hi Gaz, I’ve seen it called a neutral venue so I won’t be counting Athens (I believe it’s the stadium of Olympiacos) as one of our home grounds. Nor do I with Wembley or White Hart Lane either. Being competitive football was postponed for WWII I assume we only played friendlies at White Hart Lane (I haven’t checked that but it seems a logical assumption). So I think there’s even less reason for counting Tottenham as one of our home grounds.

For me classification as a home ground should mean something more than using a neutral venue, even if it is officially designated as the home match in a two legged tie. I’d say it has to mean an element of permanence.

Post #500110  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Hi Gaz, I’ve seen it called a neutral venue so I won’t be counting Athens (I believe it’s the stadium of Olympiacos) as one of our home grounds. Nor do I with Wembley or White Hart Lane either. Being competitive football was postponed for WWII I assume we only played friendlies at White Hart Lane (I haven’t checked that but it seems a logical assumption). So I think there’s even less reason for counting Tottenham as one of our home grounds.

For me classification as a a home ground should mean something more than using a neutral venue, even if it is officially designated as the home match in a two legged tie.

I think WWII was actually a competitive league. I think I read it on the official site. Trick question for quizzes - name the grounds since 1920 where Arsenal have played a home game.

Post #500111  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:43 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

For me classification as a a home ground should mean something more than using a neutral venue, even if it is officially designated as the home match in a two legged tie.

I think WWII was actually a competitive league. I think I read it on the official site. Trick question for quizzes - name the grounds since 1920 where Arsenal have played a home game.

Was it a sort of Emirates Cup competitive league with some sort of ‘two Bob’ trophy handed out to the winners of a friendly competition?

From 1920, Highbury (or the Arsenal Stadium) and the Emirates Stadium. If you want to count Wembley Stadium and whatever Olympiacos call their ground after the game next Thursday, then them as well. Are there any others?

EDIT: Apparently it’s called the Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium.

Post #500112  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:22 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Was it a sort of Emirates Cup competitive league with some sort of ‘two Bob’ trophy handed out to the winners of a friendly competition?

From 1920, Highbury (or the Arsenal Stadium) and the Emirates Stadium. If you want to count Wembley Stadium and whatever Olympiacos call their ground after the game next Thursday, then them as well. Are there any others?

EDIT: Apparently it’s called the Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartime_League

Post #500113  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:53 am 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
George Swindin was i/c for my first match

We were living at 128 Highbury Hill when I was first taken over road to a match (do a 360 turn on 'Street View'), but as a babe-in-arms, I have no recollection whatever of the occasion. I continued to be taken to matches all through my childhood so no match ever stood out....

And there was me thinking I was unique by not remembering much as a child. As an out of towner my visits were rare, my old man worked shifts so his attendance was also patchy. He was of the generation that would go to whoever happened to be playing at home on a Saturday he was work free. The earliest game I have memories of, though I’d been to Highbury before, was Spurs v United. The old man felt I should witness Law, Best and Charlton first hand... they won 3-2.

My old man was a Gooner btw, like his father before him who adopted them when moving to Walthamstow as a copper.

Post #500114  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:13 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CglhQzAIOvE:
Thanks for the tips AG. Series I have enjoyed lately and recommend:
Fauda - exceptionally good
Queen's Gambit - top stuff
The Man In The High Castle
Night Manager
Lupin
Sneaky Pete - improbable idea but it works
The Vanishing At Cecil Hotel

Also The Dig - lovely English film.

Like you my eyes are square...

Post #500115  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:51 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Queen's Gambit - top stuff.

Not seen the film. Super book though. I really enjoyed it.

Post #500116  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:55 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
DHD wrote:

We were living at 128 Highbury Hill when I was first taken over road to a match (do a 360 turn on 'Street View'), but as a babe-in-arms, I have no recollection whatever of the occasion. I continued to be taken to matches all through my childhood so no match ever stood out....

And there was me thinking I was unique by not remembering much as a child. As an out of towner my visits were rare, my old man worked shifts so his attendance was also patchy. He was of the generation that would go to whoever happened to be playing at home on a Saturday he was work free. The earliest game I have memories of, though I’d been to Highbury before, was Spurs v United. The old man felt I should witness Law, Best and Charlton first hand... they won 3-2.

My old man was a Gooner btw, like his father before him who adopted them when moving to Walthamstow as a copper.

The very first game that I ever saw was in the Delphian League. Harrow Town at home to Bishop’s Stortford. Harrow were 0-1 at half time and went on to win 7-1. I assumed that all games were like that.

Post #500117  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:00 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
Agbonlahor on talksport
“There was a time I could’ve gone to Spurs or Arsenal... but they were on our level..”
“I wouldn’t have left to go sideways!”

He got taken apart on social media with people saying that in Agbonlahor's 13 years at Villa they never once finished above Arsenal, never played in the Champions League and played in 1 FA Cup final which he lost 4-0 to Arsenal, then got relegated!

Utter delusion
Yes - I think the records show that in his time the teams played each other 25 times and Villa won just three times, six draws and sixteen defeats. He is such a proud Villa man he is happy to live in an alternative world! Very good player on his day - had a bit of nasty about him which sometimes made life difficult for our prettier boys.

He said that through Villa tinted lens. He was a childhood fan of Villa and the happiest thing for him was to play for Villa. I kinda admire that he wouldn't leave the club he loved all his life for greener pastures.

People criticized LeTissier for doing the same. Were I able to play for Arsenal as a fan of the club as a kid, I don't think I'd want to leave either. Good times or bad.

Post #500118  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:03 pm 

I've heard a lot of talk about Queen's Gambit. I might have to give it a serious look. As well as a few of the other suggestions.

Post #500119  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:56 pm 

So Calvert Lewin trips over Trent Alexander Arnold as he is about to run through and tap the ball in to an empty net.
I think there is a debate whether it is a penalty or not....but the ref decided it was a penalty and then didn’t send off Trent. This is where the rules are not applied consistently and in particular where Arsenal are concerned. Once the ref has decided it is a penalty he has to decide two things, was it a clear goal scoring opportunity and was there a genuine attempt by the defender to play the ball? It was a definite clear goal scoring opportunity as he was about to tap it in an empty net and Trent clearly made no attempt to play the ball or make a tackle so it has to be a red card if he is being treated the same as Luiz - which we were all told was the rules! of course there is a harshness in that Trent didn’t actually do anything but neither did Luiz!

Post #500120  Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:01 pm 

A lot being made of Liverpool’s injuries and how apparently their first 5 choice CB are out injured. 3 actual CB and 2 central mids and also that no other team could have coped....now I’m not saying we might have but it is a question of squad depth
Our 5 first choice would be Gabriel, holding, luiz, Mari, chambers. If we’d lost those players then Sokratis and Mustafi wouldn’t have left in January and would be playing now, Tierney could also slot in, even Kolasinac might not have left with that sort of injury crisis. So while having that pair in central defence wouldn’t be ideal it would at least be a pair of actual CB. Liverpool have had bad luck but they went in to a potential 60 game season with only 3 CB, 2 of which had very chequered injury histories even before this campaign

[ 548398 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12500, 12501, 12502, 12503, 12504, 12505, 12506 ... 13710  Next