Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: john1, mcquilkie, Rich and 285 guests

Post #497761  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:28 am 

socrates wrote:
Why would we suddenly divulge to Ornstein (our official mouthpiece) that we are in discussions with Wolves for Neto knowing it would be all over the internet in seconds. Makes no sense if we want to keep our dealings under wraps but does if we wish to steer press and social media attention away from our actual target(s).

It might be an attempt to put some pressure on Wolves, as they seem reluctant to sell. You have to assume Neto would fancy the move, a big step up for him.

Post #497762  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:29 am 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Ornstein reporting Arsenal are working on a deal for Pedro Neto from Wolves, but it's difficult. Not surprising considering Pépé is close to a loan move.

Hi Haz,

Wouldn't mind betting that's a convenient smokescreen planted by Arsenal in order to concentrate press and twitter attention on Neto whilst we pursue other targets.

Not saying we aren't interested but we've become very secretive of late with our transfer dealings, hence barely any credible rumours in the last couple of weeks.

Why would we suddenly divulge to Ornstein (our official mouthpiece) that we are in discussions with Wolves for Neto knowing it would be all over the internet in seconds. Makes no sense if we want to keep our dealings under wraps but does if we wish to steer press and social media attention away from our actual target(s).

I agree seems odd. The fee would be huge, 50-60 million surely. It would have to be a huge offer and he’s their best attacking player. Would surely mean no midfielder too. Seems a really weird link

Post #497763  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:30 am 

Rich wrote:
Darren wrote:
This thread by Swiss Ramble is a remarkable breakdown of our current financial position. I think Bernard in particular may find this interesting.

Makes it more understandable but still difficult to follow if you’re a bit green on the world of accounting.

Interesting point in how accounts are quite favourable in that when you buy a player the cost of that transfer is already over the length of the contract but if you sell that player then the full amount is counted on the books straight away

Hi Rich, Darren,

To be honest, the more I read about FFP the more confused I am. If the rules are so clear and so stringent then how come teams like PSG continue to spend like there's no tomorrow?

How are Barca allowed to get away with their own dire financial situation, by forward selling tv rights for the next 20 years or whatever manouvre they've done I suppose.

Post #497764  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:33 am 

Pedro Neto (Wolves) in January 2020: “When I was a kid, my favourite team in England was Arsenal. With Arsène Wenger, beside winning trophies, I thought they played really good football. I even used to read the Steve Gleiber Arsenal forum and some weirdo always used to post about serial killers. I’m with Wolverhampton and am very happy! Of course, it’s the best club in England now .”

… who knows maybe he will arrive

Post #497765  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:35 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

It might be an attempt to put some pressure on Wolves, as they seem reluctant to sell. You have to assume Neto would fancy the move, a big step up for him.

Maybe, I think he's a boyhood Arsenal fan as well.

Don't see it though, unless Wolves have to sell a player to balance the books.

Post #497766  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:36 am 

Speaking of Neto and Wolves, Wolves started their game v SPurs with 8 Portuguese players on the pitch. That must be some kind of record for the premier league for any non-english nationality. I don't think we even got close to that with French players.

Post #497767  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:41 am 

Darren wrote:
This thread by Swiss Ramble is a remarkable breakdown of our current financial position. I think Bernard in particular may find this interesting.

Thanks Darren. Knowing how long Swiss Ramble’s articles go on for, I haven’t got the time now. But I’ll try and read it later.

Post #497768  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:06 am 

I think the only stumbling block for a Neto deal would be if Wolves valued him too highly and wasn't prepared to budge on the fee. Neto's agent is Jorge Mendes who basically helped assemble most of Wolves squad and is very closely tied to the club. If Neto wants the move Mendes can probably make it happen.

Post #497769  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

Thanks Darren. Knowing how long Swiss Ramble’s articles go on for, I haven’t got the time now. But I’ll try and read it later.

It's very involved but makes for interesting reading. I really don't understand large swathes of it but it's pretty comprehensive.

Post #497770  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:37 am 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It's very involved but makes for interesting reading. I really don't understand large swathes of it but it's pretty comprehensive.

I was feeling somewhat inadequate as I skimmed through it with minimal comprehension.

Post #497771  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:39 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Makes it more understandable but still difficult to follow if you’re a bit green on the world of accounting.

Interesting point in how accounts are quite favourable in that when you buy a player the cost of that transfer is already over the length of the contract but if you sell that player then the full amount is counted on the books straight away

Hi Rich, Darren,

To be honest, the more I read about FFP the more confused I am. If the rules are so clear and so stringent then how come teams like PSG continue to spend like there's no tomorrow?

How are Barca allowed to get away with their own dire financial situation, by forward selling tv rights for the next 20 years or whatever manouvre they've done I suppose.

Could be a combination of bungs and expensive lawyers. Just me being cynical mind.

Post #497772  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:48 am 

On the FFP thing it’s quite simple guys

If you want to beat Financial fair play the cheating club always essentially sponsors themselves exceptionally and then it beats system,. It’s the one thing they all do.

Leicester are in trouble boom all of a sudden then agree a huge sponsorship deal with king power (owned by their owner)

City ? I believe their shirt sponsorship is more than double ours deal per year

PSG Qatar.

And on and on and on

Don’t think Newcastle have gone down this route yet.

Post #497773  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:57 am 

I'm intrigued by the situation at Man U with the planned protests against the owners tonight. There are large swathes of the Man U fan base including people like Neville who seem to pin all the blame squarely on the owners.

I understand the owners take large sums of money out of the club but they don't exactly hold back funds for squad improvement and wages. Man U have had more than enough money they have been allowed to spend by their owners on transfer fees and wages - their wage bill is astronomical. The people in charge of the football side of things have simply made awful decisions.

Other than taking money out of the club the main thing I think you can pin at the owners is their inability to put people in charge who know what they're doing. If you plan on being a distant and non-interested owner then you need to employ people who are brilliant - so that would be the Director of Football type people, then you can delegate everything to them including hiring managers and buying players.

In some respect it is similar to what happened at Arsenal, there was a lot of anger at the Kronke's before their recent interest and provisions of additional funds, but the money was being made available to Arsenal we just made bad decisions with it.

Post #497774  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:26 am 

Devon is literally covered in shite because of brexit

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... ms-332728/

Brexit loons swimming in other peoples piss still in denial thinking they have freedom. Yeah right freedom to swim in TURD

Post #497775  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:16 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Brexit loons swimming in other peoples piss still in denial thinking they have freedom. Yeah right freedom to swim in TURD

It's because the chemicals they need to clean the waters aren't available since we left the EU. It's just silly now but we have to ride it out with this current government, the Brexit dogma being the only pre-requisite for a cabinet position. It will get even worse under Truss, but hopefully when a new government finally come in they can at least make Brexit and leaving the EU a bit more sensible for us all. It will require closer alignment to the EU which will cause apoplexy within the Daily Mail, Daily Express and Telegraph newspapers. But the only way Brexit will work is by a more Norway style arrangement. Essentially all the things that the most rampant Tory Brexiters want to blow up.

Post #497776  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:21 am 

Let's remember the main reason for Brexit amongst the Tory party was for the tax avoidance stuff the EU is coming for. It was always for the 1% and no more.

Also worth pointing out that immigration into this country has increased since leaving the EU. It's failing on every metric.

Post #497777  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:39 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It's because the chemicals they need to clean the waters aren't available since we left the EU. It's just silly now but we have to ride it out with this current government, the Brexit dogma being the only pre-requisite for a cabinet position. It will get even worse under Truss, but hopefully when a new government finally come in they can at least make Brexit and leaving the EU a bit more sensible for us all. It will require closer alignment to the EU which will cause apoplexy within the Daily Mail, Daily Express and Telegraph newspapers. But the only way Brexit will work is by a more Norway style arrangement. Essentially all the things that the most rampant Tory Brexiters want to blow up.

It’s great. People can now exercise their increased freedom by swimming in FILTH. Suck it up losers.

One of many great benefits now we are free of EU bureaucracy.

Another great benefit that never gets mentioned is we have simplified our currency. I was at Gatwick a few weeks back and you could buy 1 US dollar per pound. Booom 1 to 1 is far easier to calculate than when a quid would get you 1.50 before brexit. This is obviously great and really helps with rampant inflation.

Post #497778  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:50 am 

Rich wrote:
Speaking of Neto and Wolves, Wolves started their game v SPurs with 8 Portuguese players on the pitch. That must be some kind of record for the premier league for any non-english nationality. I don't think we even got close to that with French players.

I read they had more Portuguese players playing than Benfica and Porto combined. How true that is I don't know.

Post #497779  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:58 am 

I read someone commenting on how Saka was noticeably getting in to 'rebound' or 'tap in' positions a lot more this season. None have born fruit yet but I'd be interested if this has been noticed by anyone because I've only been able to watch extended highlights of our games and haven't really focused on Saka.

It is interesting because of the work Arteta was credited with doing with Sterling to really increase his goal tallies, following the play right in to the 6 yard box from the opposite wing and he got so many tap ins or scruffy rebounds from others' shots

Post #497780  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Am I mistaken in thinking goals marginal decisions were being allowed last season? If they were there’s been a change.

No - It's the same as last season.
If we scored a goal and there was any chance it could be disallowed, then it would be disallowed. :icon_razz:

Post #497781  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:09 pm 

Mykhaylo Mudryk is a name linked to us as well. Nicknamed 'The Ukrainian Neymar'! :1laughter:

He's 21, plays as a winger for Shaktar. Right footed, mainly from the left side.

Post #497782  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:20 pm 

Wolves looking to sign Kalajdzic, a striker, they've already signed Guedes and as far as I'm aware Traore is still their player to come back in. They have Jiminez, Hwang and Podence - might they be preparing to lose Neto?

Post #497783  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:27 pm 

Brooke Norton-Cuffy has joined Championship side Rotherham on loan for the season. Will be interesting to follow his development there, he's supposed to be a real talent. It's about time Arsenal had a defender break through from the academy.

Post #497784  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:44 pm 

Rumours about Aubameyang to Chelsea for £22m gathering pace. It doesn't really frighten me all that much, a very good player in his day but he's 33 now and going to a club that seems to kill any attacking talent it signs.

Post #497785  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:46 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rumours about Aubameyang to Chelsea for £22m gathering pace.

Major development in Chelsea’s pursuit of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/08/2 ... ubameyang/

Post #497786  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:53 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Rumours about Aubameyang to Chelsea for £22m gathering pace.

Major development in Chelsea’s pursuit of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/08/2 ... ubameyang/

Same news here.

https://www.barcablaugranes.com/2022/8/ ... sea-report

Post #497787  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:40 pm 

https://twitter.com/nocontextfooty/stat ... zpArUBzfwg

How stupid is this from Reece James? Clearly knows exactly what he's doing to the ref.

Post #497788  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:44 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rumours about Aubameyang to Chelsea for £22m gathering pace. It doesn't really frighten me all that much, a very good player in his day but he's 33 now and going to a club that seems to kill any attacking talent it signs.

I agree and actually hope they do sign him. Excellent in his day but at 33 now his day was at Dortmund and Arsenal. If he is Chelsea’s forward signing, that’s fine by me.

Post #497789  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:45 pm 

Interesting relegation six pointer tonight.
Personally I'm hoping for Liverpool to go 3 up in about 15 minutes and see a massive Man Utd meltdown.

Post #497790  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:44 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Brooke Norton-Cuffy has joined Championship side Rotherham on loan for the season. Will be interesting to follow his development there, he's supposed to be a real talent. It's about time Arsenal had a defender break through from the academy.

Good loan for him in the Championship after doing so well in League 1.

Watch out for Lino Sosa our 17 year old left back. Looks like a very good player capable of playing above his age

Post #497791  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:46 pm 

8 nil Liverpool win please, ronaldo tantrum followed by a spate of red cards depriving them of key players in the lead up to our game plus a pitch invasion by their divvy fans protesting about the owners meaning they get a points deduction too.

All of which isn’t as unrealistic as it should be

Post #497792  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:54 pm 

Some Neto stats against our current wingers.

The thing he gives is that maybe is different from the others is dribbling at pace. Neto is very quick which I always love in any player, he’s predominantly left footed but contrary to the popular way of using wingers he actually mostly plays on the left.

Very interesting player, fits so many of the profile boxes Arsenal tick now when signing players. He’s only 22, has plenty of prem experience, probably flexible enough to play wide right and left, has that high energy with lots of pace.

Could he explode with a better team and better players in the same way Jota did?

Attachments:

Post #497793  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:58 pm 

The randomness of the fixtures always gives you good and bad times to play teams. I’d love for Arsenal to be playing Liverpool right now. Bit out of sorts, not quite free flowing yet and a whole host of injuries. They start with a midfield 3 of Milner, Henderson and Elliot tonight. Our midfield would surely take that apart. Fabinho and Thiago are big misses for them.

I’d also love to be playing Man U right now! On the flip side teams like Brighton, Newcastle and Leeds look full of confidence and we don’t face any for a while

Post #497794  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:07 pm 

So if we’ve spent 117 million quid so far already can anybody honestly see us shelling out another 75 million quid for Tielemans and Neto.

It would surely cost that as a minimum. A 192 million pound summer. Even if you knock off 10 million for ainsley assuming he’s sold to fulham or West Ham that’s massive spending.

I’d be surprised if our friend from Leicester turns up I have to say.

Post #497795  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:17 pm 

What was van dijk doing for that goal.

You’ve got to chase the ball down even if it does hit your hand

Post #497796  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:55 pm 

If Man U win this match we'll have a 5, 6 and 7 point lead on 3 teams who would/should be challengers for a top 4 place. Not to be sniffed at considering last year we gave most of these at least a 6 point start after 3 games

Post #497797  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:11 pm 

Wow. 2-0. Just imagine if it was us losing at Man Utd. We’d be being written off.

Post #497798  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:12 pm 

How is rashford onside yet Gabriel Jesus Saturday was deemed offside.

That’s nuts

Post #497799  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
How is rashford onside yet Gabriel Jesus Saturday was deemed offside.

That’s nuts

Camera angles. All a ludicrous degree of claimed accuracy. Far more complicated than a static line on a tennis court, or indeed a goal line.

Post #497800  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:15 pm 

Var still useless

Attachments:

[ 518931 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12442, 12443, 12444, 12445, 12446, 12447, 12448 ... 12974  Next