Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, grantyboy, mcquilkie and 267 guests

Post #497561  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:58 pm 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:
It’s happened directly above Rog. First post (543601) on a new page (13591), Decaf’s quoted post (543597 from page 13590) is in small print.

Is it the same now ?

Yes thanks. Much appreciated. I won’t ask what you did as you might as well answer in Russian for the understanding I’d have of whatever you said. But thanks again.

Post #497562  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
warrior wrote:
Is it the same now ?

Yes thanks. Much appreciated. I won’t ask what you did as you might as well answer in Russian for the understanding I’d have of whatever you said. But thanks again.

Wait - I just adjusted that post (I had a hunch).

So, it's ok now, yes ?

If so, I'll (believe it or not) need to see another post that it does again so I can code a fix for it.

I think I know what it is now at least. (If so, it's what I suspected)

Post #497563  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:04 pm 

An interesting take on our formation (which is not always easy to spot on tv) https://newsjust24all.com/arsenal-midfi ... cyflprnneU

Definitely right up Rich’s street.

Post #497564  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:18 pm 

warrior wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wait - I just adjusted that post (I had a hunch).

So, it's ok now, yes ?

If so, I'll (believe it or not) need to see another post that it does again so I can code a fix for it.

I think I know what it is now at least. (If so, it's what I suspected)

For me it’s always been the first post on a new page that’s quoted someone else’s post. So I won’t have any contribution until the next page starts, and then only if it quotes another post. When bubblechris next logs in, maybe he’ll have something to add?

Post #497565  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:20 pm 

Hi

You are viewing it on a mobile phone and holding the phone vertically, is that right ?

If that's the case, try turning your phone horizontally and see what happens ?

*I can now reproduce the fault but only under a very certain circumstance.

Post #497566  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:27 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hi

You are viewing it on a mobile phone and holding the phone vertically, is that right ?

I routinely hold it horizontally when on the forum anyway.

Post #497567  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:29 pm 

It seems to be a known forum bug.

Although dated, it is described here what users are seeing.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... p=13277269

Our forum software is the same vintage as this bug report.

I thought it was a malformed double quotation but it's not.

Post #497568  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:09 pm 

So sorry for Leeds. Attack upon attack, and then Leicester leads 1-0.

Post #497569  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
'Circumstances in Chicago' enabled Al Capone to get pile his too. Most of it legit too.

Are you aware of anyone Abramovich had bumped off, like Al Capone?

He gained control of the Russian aluminium industry in what were called the Aluminium Wars. He is widely believed to have ordered hits on competitors. He was I believe jailed for theft of government property in Russia.

Post #497570  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
For sure putting Al Capone and Abramovich together makes more sense than comparisons with Jack Walker.

I find your moralistic criticism of businessmen who did little more than take advantage of circumstances in their country almost creepy.
Don't get too frightened, its only a discussion on the internet.

Post #497571  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:01 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
He was I believe jailed for theft of government property in Russia.

I might be wrong but I thought the charges were dropped? I don’t want to sound like an Abramovich fan. I’m not - I wish he’d never bought Chelsea. But I do find some of the moralistic ‘holier-than-thou’ stuff here a little off-putting.

Post #497572  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:53 pm 

We just need Liverpool to win by at least two goals so that West Ham drop below us. A thumping Man City win tomorrow wouldn’t go amiss either.

Post #497573  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:05 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
The lack of new ideas from TV and movie makers is astounding.

Some good stuff out there especially from the Koreans.

Having said that we are rewatching a lot of old stuff. We are watching Morse at the moment -- still hits the spot, mostly because of how well drawn and acted the two main parts are. And Prime Suspect. Helen Mirren's performance absolutely blows one's socks off.

I was given the full box set of Morse years ago and just rewatched it this year. Also a series of Prime Suspect, Wycliffe, Callan, got the old Maigret and a few others. My holiday home does not have internet so great time to put on some favourites.

Post #497574  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:32 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Some good stuff out there especially from the Koreans.

Having said that we are rewatching a lot of old stuff. We are watching Morse at the moment -- still hits the spot, mostly because of how well drawn and acted the two main parts are. And Prime Suspect. Helen Mirren's performance absolutely blows one's socks off.

I was given the full box set of Morse years ago and just rewatched it this year. Also a series of Prime Suspect, Wycliffe, Callan, got the old Maigret and a few others. My holiday home does not have internet so great time to put on some favourites.
Callan! I got the box set a few years ago and loved to see it again after so long. Time hasn't diminished it.

Post #497575  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:42 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Never really got into Morse, though my wife likes it far more than me. But talking of John Thaw, The Sweeney is one of my two top drama series. Edward Woodward’s Callan is the other. Hard to choose a favourite between them. The Sweeney’s best episodes were in my view more enjoyable than any Callan episodes, but I think The Sweeney had some dire, rubbish episodes which Callan didn’t. Suppose that means I found Callan more consistent.

Others I think great are The Invaders, a 1960s American sci-fi series with Roy Thinnes, and Derek Jacobi’s I Claudius.

Post #497576  Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:31 pm 

He should know....

They can’t collect legal taxes from illegal money.”

---Al Capone

Post #497577  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:24 am 

Rich wrote:
I’ve seen Gabriel Jesus name mentioned as a possible striker for us next year. It makes a lot of sense. Very good pressing, worked with Arteta, knows the league, not first choice at city, can also play wide. Not sure what his price would be or his wages but think both would be high for any striker we sign

We can only have one Gabriel at a time. It confuses the kit man. At this point, still early days for transfers and what not. Would City sell him to us? if he's at City he is paid over the market, but we will see.

Post #497578  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:26 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Don't get too frightened, its only a discussion on the internet.

lol...isn't that how it all starts? Then next thing you know, for a decade or so, you aren't wanting to read certain messages despite them still being set.
(stop it Ag, stop it :sign19: )

Post #497579  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:27 am 

Anyway, 3 points, no less will do. I'm a wee bit nervous I must admit. I want Man Utd to go into their game thinking they are a bit farther out of the race.

Post #497580  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:30 am 

warrior wrote:
Hi

Any suggestions for my PC?

Attachments:

Post #497581  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Hey kiwi .. your best mate has now tried to attack a nuclear power plant that supplies a third of the country’s power.

Kiwi, kiwi ! Talk to me mate.

K
I
W
I

Talk to me mate.

:laughing7: Make up your mind you didn't want to talk to me the other day .

A few Ukranians infiltrated an ADMINISTRATIVE building near the plant the Russians were already there ... they had a little Kalishnikov exchange of greetings
and the Ukranians lit a few newspapers on departing .

So you see my little friend it wasn't like Fox News or the BBC trumpeted "" Russians shell nuclear plant "

Bit like that Snake Island stand off where the Russian destroyer asked 13 dudes in a small building to to surrender . ""Russian warship go F***k yourself ""...and CNN reported the Ukranians all died heroically in a blazing gun battle .

The Americans drawing parallels to the Alamo .

One shell in their direction and they all sprinted out with their hands up . :laughing7: :laughing7: YOUR best mate Zelensky was planning their funerals

Post #497582  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:00 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Attachment:

Post #497583  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:20 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Okay ..we are making progress here ... Point 1 ... quite right taking a leaf out of Top Gun's book Blair and Bush should be strung up by their balls to the hands of Big Ben .

Although I'd disagree with most people condemning though ; most of the English speaking world bought into the Saddam's purchase of Yellowcake from the Congo and other fanciful theories .

Point 2 ... and I'll take this slowly .

As I pointed out Russia was promised by US , UK , Germany and France there would be no NATO expansion to any of the Warsaw Pact counties .
Since then Bulgaria , Czech , Slovakia , Romania , Latvia , Estonia , Lithuania . Poland have joined .

Any country joining ; what happens......? America rushes in builds a couple of bases ; installs half a dozen missile systems along with 10,000 troops .

Ukraine was promised NATO membership , when they join Article 5 comes into force ... meaning if attacked all other NATO members are obligated to help .

Putin seeking reassurances Ukraine would not join were all rebuffed so he thinks attack now , fight Ukraine alone .

NATO is a defensive alliance.

Putin is only going to have a problem with countries joining it if he has aspirations of invading them. Get it ? No ?

Also they hadn’t yet joined anyway.

Before we go any further I've got to ask .... honestly have you got two brain cells to rub together .

I swear to God ..... spaghetti bolonnaise put through a blender , a shredder then dumped in a concrete mixer would come out in better shape than what's housed in your skull .

I've said UK . America , France , Germany PROMISED Russia if she let Germany re unite they wouldn't expand NATO . Can you follow that

If this isn't such a big deal WHY did America get so F**&*&^% upset when Russia were going to do the same in Cuba .

"" they hadn't yet joined anyway "" :laughing7: Mama Mia this confirms you cant read ...what have i just said Article 5 etc

Post #497584  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:36 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Sorry Newk ,

I think you just pulled a hamstring .

.. abstention is a vote for .... means they don't agree with the resolution . Given the childish nature of the US ; anyone voting in favour risks American sanctions .

That ""cradle of democracy"" doesn't give a monkey's they are in deep poo with the US already .

India abstained ; now there are calls for sanctions for not toeing the American / EU partyline .

John Barret and Dan Maskell marvelling at that brilliant Bungert backhand winner down the line .... what a turn around
Thanks Kiwi. An abstention is a vote for - now it is all clear to me. I apologise for my misunderstanding and will immediately send a donation to Putin to keep up the good work for democracy.

Having checked, I also find Bungert won that Wimbledon final, leaving the Newk in tatters 6-2 6-1 6-1. Amazingly, despite what we believed at the time, Wilhelm went on to do the Grand Slam that year.

No apologies needed Old Man I can see how these little subtleties might test your mental capacity .
but I'll try and further your education ........ If this abstention is so benign and not essentially a vote in favour ... Why are the Yanks getting their underwear in such a knot and considering sanctions ....................Take your time

https://thekashmirwalla.com/sanctions-o ... -un-vote-o

Post #497585  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:44 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I've said UK . America , France , Germany PROMISED Russia if she let Germany re unite they wouldn't expand NATO . Can you follow that

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... ent-again/

Sources Here : https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... n/#sources

Post #497586  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:59 am 

warrior wrote:

I thought, ideally, we lived in a world where countries could make their own decisions? What it seems is one group (NATO) promising what not to do with a sovereign country and the other side (Russia) arbitrarily invading said nation because their 'promise' wasn't kept.

How is invading a sovereign nation that hasn't attacked you ever right? If you end up with a country that doesn't like you on your border but hasn't involved itself in your affairs, be a provocation for invasion and war?

Hmm...my neighbor doesn't speak, doesnt' seem to like me (what a surprise), I guess I can do a home invasion to correct the situation, eh?

Mind boggling that invading a sovereign nation because it may not like you or might allign with nations you consider the opposition is justified. It speaks volumes on who condones it. Suggests how they conduct their own private live perhaps. May even explain some things on here as well.

NATO said they wouldn't offer membership to former eastern bloc nations, they did, they didn't invade you, they didn't attack you, but it is just cause to invade one of those nations? They broke their promise so its okay to invade. NATO is defensive. "Hey, I could face a war if I invade any of my former territory if they are in NATO , I will invade before that can happen. Wow!

We forget that these nations WILLINGLY joined NATO. What happened to sovereign states making their own deicsions on whom to allign with? And to be clear, America has literally spent trillions of dollars and million of lives if we count death on all sides, doing what Russia did and should be condemned for it and some brave souls have (Iraq).

Seems we didn't learn anything from WW2. Which now that I give it some thought doesn't surprise me.

Post #497587  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:59 am 

warrior wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/l ... 0160530-sn

I'd have thought you were supposed to be neutral ; not joining the Tag Team .

Post #497588  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:00 am 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Attachment:
mycomputer.jpg

Fixed! :58big-emoticons:

Post #497589  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:01 am 

kiwipete wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-shifrinson-russia-us-nato-deal--20160530-sn ... and you were saying

Attachment:

And why am I 'supposed to be neutral' ?

Post #497590  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:11 am 

warrior wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-shifrinson-russia-us-nato-deal--20160530-sn ... and you were saying

Attachment:
goneski.jpg

And why am I 'supposed to be neutral' ?

Just a passing thought on the neutrality see if I could push you back in your shell .

That article I posted is titled
Op - Ed ...... ""Russia's got a point , The US broke a NATO promise "" ... it's in the LA Times I've got an Ad Blocker so I can't open it

Post #497591  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:16 am 

kiwipete wrote:
That article I posted is titled
Op - Ed ...... ""Russia's got a point , The US broke a NATO promise "" ... it's in the LA Times I've got an Ad Blocker so I can't open it

You do know that 'Opinion / Op-Ed' pieces are different from sourced facts though, right ?

Post #497592  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:19 am 

Found the link and fixed it.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/l ... story.html

Note it's an opinion piece though. (I haven't read it all yet ..)

Post #497593  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:19 am 

warrior wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Try this for size Big Cojones

https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-book ... ders-early

Post #497594  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:28 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hey kiwi .. your best mate has now tried to attack a nuclear power plant that supplies a third of the country’s power.

Kiwi, kiwi ! Talk to me mate.

K
I
W
I

Talk to me mate.

:laughing7: Make up your mind you didn't want to talk to me the other day .

A few Ukranians infiltrated an ADMINISTRATIVE building near the plant the Russians were already there ... they had a little Kalishnikov exchange of greetings
and the Ukranians lit a few newspapers on departing .

So you see my little friend it wasn't like Fox News or the BBC trumpeted "" Russians shell nuclear plant "

Bit like that Snake Island stand off where the Russian destroyer asked 13 dudes in a small building to to surrender . ""Russian warship go F***k yourself ""...and CNN reported the Ukranians all died heroically in a blazing gun battle .

The Americans drawing parallels to the Alamo .

One shell in their direction and they all sprinted out with their hands up . :laughing7: :laughing7: YOUR best mate Zelensky was planning their funerals

Can you post links to support your views here, Pete? I'm always happy to be swayed by facts.

Post #497595  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:44 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
He was I believe jailed for theft of government property in Russia.

I might be wrong but I thought the charges were dropped? I don’t want to sound like an Abramovich fan. I’m not - I wish he’d never bought Chelsea. But I do find some of the moralistic ‘holier-than-thou’ stuff here a little off-putting.

They couldn't get anything to stick on Capone either (apart from tax evasion). Would I be 'holier than thou' in considering the Chicago mob a less than desirable business partner because they mostly got away with it?

Post #497596  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:55 am 

kiwipete wrote:
https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-book/russia-programs/2017-12-12/nato-expansion-what-gorbachev-heard-western-leaders-early

Back at you:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220222223 ... 7.htm#c203

Post #497597  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:03 am 

kiwipete wrote:

And Russia PROMISED that if Ukraine got rid of its nukes it would not attack them. Russias idea of international law is based on one principle: might is right and we have nukes.

The other funny one is that Ukrainians are Nazis and are being nasty to the Russia minority, and this justifies invading the whole country. Firstly, they obviously are not all Nazis. Even NZ would be fair game for invasion if the presence of far right elements or being nasty to minorities was sufficient grounds for invasion. Second, Russia has a lot of cheek, considering they conspired with the Nazis in 1939 to 1941 in exchange for half of Poland, and more recently, they have been particularly brutal to recalcitrant minorities.

Yes, WWII was a long time ago (as were Stalin's ethnic cleansings in the Ukraine). However, if your argument is that history doesn't matter, don't invoke history yourself. And history does matter because people in Russia's neighours remember these things, and not just the far right/far left version of history presented on Fox and RT.

Post #497598  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:04 am 

Decaf wrote:
They couldn't get anything to stick on Capone either (apart from tax evasion). Would I be 'holier than thou' in considering the Chicago mob a less than desirable business partner because they mostly got away with it?

Well he served a lengthy time in prison so was caught up with eventually. My point was that being accused of something does not automatically mean or guarantee that the individual is or was guilty. I would be stunned if you disagreed with that.

Post #497599  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:14 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Wrong again. If Warrior started to delete or tamper with your posts it would be a problem.

Also, you better do something about this: if China or Oz is looking for an excuse to invade NZ and the bar has been set by Russia, this would be pretty handy.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/new-zeala ... i-emigres/

Post #497600  Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:26 am 

Decaf wrote:
Wrong again. If Warrior started to delete or tamper with your posts it would be a problem.

I'm in agreement with Mcquilkie here and am happy to be swayed by facts.

Sadly, I think the 'war' in Ukraine is really going to escalate much more. Not a fact, just my opinion though.

[ 526021 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12437, 12438, 12439, 12440, 12441, 12442, 12443 ... 13151  Next