Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, grantyboy, mcquilkie and 252 guests

Post #480081  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:23 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
England U21s on Sky Main Event starts at 2pm. Should be worth watching as the England v San Marino game will not be.

Turgid 0-0 so far. Smith Rowe just subbed after 65 mins. Eddie staying on.

Post #480082  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:19 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah obviously I was mucking about on the pole :laughing7:

I can’t believe the state of country it’s consumed by ridiculous populism

Do you listen to radio 5 ? I used to quite enjoy it for its combination of sport and news analysis however on weekdays it’s now hard to listen to as you have Adrian Chiles, Naga Munchetty and Tony Livesy trying to analyse the governments ridiculous populist news strategies in a topical way without trying for all their might to scream “*%^@ off you nazi” to some of the guests they have on trying to defend them. If they state the bleeding obvious their boss the director general gets an email from the government threatening his job.

Seems we are living in a Paul Verhoevan movie

Rule Britannia. God save the Queen. (No not you TG THE Queen)

Here’s a suggestion.. Why don’t you

1) shout off the top of your mouth to the forum you think covid 19 is a fraud and that only 2000 people will die

2) generally ignore the rising death toll and continue more dickheadery on here

3) Create some daft e-petition saying people should have to be killed by covid 19 and ignore any empathy that clearly needed to be required due to the tragic circumstances

4) send details round here asking people to sign convincing everybody 100% your a complete Douche

5) achieve precisely zero signatures confirming that the level of bellendery being achieved is exclusive to your own line of rancid thinking and nobody else

5) after the tragic loss of 120 thousand poor souls delete the post about death creation on your e-petition thus ending a complete cycle of Twattery

Great work :58big-emoticons:

Post #480083  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:22 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
England U21s on Sky Main Event starts at 2pm. Should be worth watching as the England v San Marino game will not be.

I’m not watching the under 21 game, and nor shall I watch the San Marino game later. Watching paint dry sounds enthralling by comparison.

Post #480084  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I’m not watching the under 21 game, and nor shall I watch the San Marino game later. Watching paint dry sounds enthralling by comparison.

Good choice. I had expected the U21 game to be entertaining. It was anything but.

The Swiss executed an excellent containing game and then scored a deserved winner. England looked surprisingly devoid of ideas, particularly given the names up front.

As their coach said before the game the England U21 squad has a market value well in excess of the Swiss senior squad.

Post #480085  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:37 pm 

When considering transfers we need to be mindful of the homegrown quota. Essentially only 17 non-home grown players allowed which is what we have in the squad at the moment.
The way we should look to mitigate this is by making sure our back up GK we need to sign when Ryan returns to Brighton is a home grown player, get Runnarsson out on loan and promote a home grown youth team player to 3rd choice gk and look at a young home grown player to be a back up left back. That frees up 2 'foreign' places in the squad and doesn't use back up left-back to fill one of them.
Then players like Ceballos, Elneny, Luiz, can all be replaced with any player you want. Equally with the extra space in the squad when Nketiah is moved on - which he surely will be we could make a foreign striker signing.

The difficulty is identifying attainable and affordable home grown players to improve the squad.

Post #480086  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Try supporting Ireland, Bernard. Before last night we had scored one goal in our previous 8 games. Yes. One. We went completely mad last night and scored two goals in the same match but sadly lost to Serbia 3-2 as our 3rd choice keeper was a bit crap. It's some roller coaster of utter frustration.

Post #480087  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 pm 

dec wrote:
Try supporting Ireland, Bernard. Before last night we had scored one goal in our previous 8 games. Yes. One. We went completely mad last night and scored two goals in the same match but sadly lost to Serbia 3-2 as our 3rd choice keeper was a bit crap. It's some roller coaster of utter frustration.

When Liam Brady used to play I always did, unless they ever played West Germany.

Post #480088  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Apparently it isn't serious, and they're hoping he'll be fit for Norway's next game on Saturday.

Thanks. Not that I’m eager to see him to play on Saturday.

Hopefully he won't reaggravate it Saturday.

Post #480089  Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:51 pm 

A lot of press articles and Charles Watt talking about Countinho as a possibility as he is well discounted. Would not touch him. Wrong age and I was never impressed with him even when he was with Liverpool. We need younger players wanting to achieve something.

Post #480090  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 am 

FIFA is licking its the chops at the potential revenue from the states if the public adopts football on par with its 3 major sports.

The EPL's popularity has grown very large in America. However, football is far more a spectator sport than a participatory sport. There are many people like myself who are huge fans of the sport but don't play it. Rare 15 or 20 years ago, now there are many hundreds of thousands if not millions of fans like me. America still has experimented with different models, currently adopting the academy model the rest of the world has.

But until America's best athlete sees football as a viable option to American football and basketball, or even baseball, it won't be as big as FIFA hopes. If one looks at a majority of the best American footballers, a common denominator is that they are offspring of immigrants that have a football background for the most part.

Until America brings football to the masses but more specifically to the areas that are producing the best athletes, it won't get the best out of the country.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56387717

Post #480091  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:29 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
FIFA is licking its the chops at the potential revenue from the states if the public adopts football on par with its 3 major sports.

The EPL's popularity has grown very large in America. However, football is far more a spectator sport than a participatory sport. There are many people like myself who are huge fans of the sport but don't play it. Rare 15 or 20 years ago, now there are many hundreds of thousands if not millions of fans like me. America still has experimented with different models, currently adopting the academy model the rest of the world has.

But until America's best athlete sees football as a viable option to American football and basketball, or even baseball, it won't be as big as FIFA hopes. If one looks at a majority of the best American footballers, a common denominator is that they are offspring of immigrants that have a football background for the most part.

Until America brings football to the masses but more specifically to the areas that are producing the best athletes, it won't get the best out of the country.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56387717

Hey AG,

Over last few years I've been watching Expedition Bigfoot, Finding Bigfoot and various other programmes focusing on the legend of Bigfoot and Yetis etc.

I find it all fascinating, they always seem to make a compelling case for their existence (sightings, foot prints, vocalisation, nests etc) without any definitive proof such as DNA, close-up pictures or videos, skeletons etc.

In your travels in the States have you ever been out in the wilderness and had a Bigfoot encounter or such like, or know anyone who has?

Post #480092  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:40 pm 

African Cup of Nations is in January 2022 so we'll lose players for a month next season. Ghana, Gabon and Egypt have qualified and Ivory Coast are expected to join them. That's Partey, Aubameyang, Elneny and Pépé all away at that time.
I must admit I thought the timings of the ANC had moved so it didn't coincide with the middle of the european season.
If we're lining up any African signings in the summer we need to consider this carefully.

Post #480093  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:43 pm 

I’m similarly fascinated by The Loch Ness monster. I don't know anything about zoology, biology, geology, geography, marine biology, cryptozoology,evolutionary theory, evolutionary biology, meteorology, limnology, history, herpetology, palaeontology or archaeology but I think; what if a dinosaur had got in the lake

Post #480094  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I’m similarly fascinated by The Loch Ness monster. I don't know anything about zoology, biology, geology, geography, marine biology, cryptozoology,evolutionary theory, evolutionary biology, meteorology, limnology, history, herpetology, palaeontology or archaeology but I think; what if a dinosaur had got in the lake

Well, you are certainly proving yourself to be the "missing link", that much I do know.

Post #480095  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:59 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Well, you are certainly proving yourself to be the "missing link", that much I do know.

:thebirdman: :thebirdman: :thebirdman: :walk:

Post #480096  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:39 pm 

Hey Soc, I haven't personally, but I have had a teammate in university from Oregon who is an avid camper and hunter and says that he and others at various times have 'seen something' that was unexplainable. Most people will say it was a 'bear' but they say they know the difference and his dog is used to bears and will be aggressive towards a bear but was utterly terrified of whatever it is.

I've seen those programs. In school we actually spoke of it and its actually something a biology or science teacher will discuss in most schools when I was growing up. As for believing myself, I will say I wouldn't dismiss it. I have to assume if our government gives any credence to it they have been secretly monitoring the areas of possible sightings.

I think one of the biggest reasons one can't dismiss it out of hand is from the many stories of the native populations. For me that's the strongest evidence. These people have been living on the land for thousands of years, and as you know are very close to the earth and land. If they say there is something out there, I would tend to believe them.

I was more into the Area 51 'thingy' and the possibility of a government cover up as well.

Post #480097  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
African Cup of Nations is in January 2022 so we'll lose players for a month next season. Ghana, Gabon and Egypt have qualified and Ivory Coast are expected to join them. That's Partey, Aubameyang, Elneny and Pépé all away at that time.
I must admit I thought the timings of the ANC had moved so it didn't coincide with the middle of the european season.
If we're lining up any African signings in the summer we need to consider this carefully.

This is a competition I have on my bucket list. I have a soft spot for west African sides because of players I've seen from there (Kanu, etc) or descended (Vieira). The atmosphere seems very festive when I see clips.

I want to see all the major competitions, CL, Euro, World Cup (when it comes to America probably), the South American competition as well.

Anyway, seems like we will be taking a big hit for ANC. I hate wanting to see the teams of our players knocked out early but...... :icon_mrgreen:

Post #480098  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:52 pm 

...one more thing regarding Big Foot type legends. The younger generation aren't as interested. It was deemed possible or credible when I was growing up. The younger generation don't seem to take as much interest into it. It was a very popular when I was a kid and something most people deemed very possible. The main theory I would hear is some pre homosapien or off shoot of homosapien that never got extinct. I think that is very possible.

Post #480099  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:52 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Hey Soc, I haven't personally, but I have had a teammate in university from Oregon who is an avid camper and hunter and says that he and others at various times have 'seen something' that was unexplainable. Most people will say it was a 'bear' but they say they know the difference and his dog is used to bears and will be aggressive towards a bear but was utterly terrified of whatever it is.

I've seen those programs. In school we actually spoke of it and its actually something a biology or science teacher will discuss in most schools when I was growing up. As for believing myself, I will say I wouldn't dismiss it. I have to assume if our government gives any credence to it they have been secretly monitoring the areas of possible sightings.

I think one of the biggest reasons one can't dismiss it out of hand is from the many stories of the native populations. For me that's the strongest evidence. These people have been living on the land for thousands of years, and as you know are very close to the earth and land. If they say there is something out there, I would tend to believe them.

I was more into the Area 51 'thingy' and the possibility of a government cover up as well.

I love the paranormal, ghosts, aliens and all that.

So many documentaries have been made abot Roswell and Area 51. I think there's also an Area 52 which is even more secretive.

Funny enough, in the Expedition Bigfoot series they talked to an ex US Air Force guy whose unit were on a training exercise deep in the forests of Washington State (I think it was) and he claimed that the instructor warned them that Bigfoot does exist, the Govt knows they do and that if they do come across one they should not engage with it because it will end badly.

Post #480100  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 pm 

Wow. Interesting. What is the most compelling information for you?

For me, an alien landing in America is convenient. Of all the places in the world, America? Not that I don't think it couldn't have happened. In middle school we had to do a book report on 'Chariot of the Gods'. I don't think teachers can get away with that these days in many school districts in the states.

It is fascinating though. There is an ongoing 'urban legend' of sorts that the Defense department gave U.S. corporations secrets from the aliens and ship to re-engineer and make products out of it. Supposedly, instant pictures from Polaroid were part of this.

Also, that its kept secret from all presidents for 'plausible deniability' reasons. Again, stories, but its rumored that presidents have asked if it was true and were rebuffed.

Post #480101  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:51 pm 

...as well as stealth technology.

Post #480102  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:56 pm 

If the Americans knew that Bigfoot existed the poor thing would be an attraction at seaworld by now trust me

Post #480103  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:09 pm 

TH14 has decided to remove himself from all social media platforms until more stringent action is taken on racism and bullying.

Post #480104  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If the Americans knew that Bigfoot existed the poor thing would be an attraction at seaworld by now trust me

Most likely caged behind bars at a zoo.

Post #480105  Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 pm 

So Saka is knackered then. Misses all the England games. He didn’t look right against West Ham.

Post #480106  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Little green men from mars, massive election fraud in the 2020 US presidential elections, and whether or not the earth is flat, are similarly fascinating topics. With Easter coming up soon, I feel we should reopen the debate on the existence of the Easter Bunny. On shouldn't dismiss these ideas on the say-so of the New York Time and bunch of 'scientists' and 'experts' who go around calling themselves 'Dr' without having medical degrees. What good is all this 'fake science' compared to one's gut instinct and youtube?

Post #480107  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:40 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Little green men from mars, massive election fraud in the 2020 US presidential elections, and whether or not the earth is flat, are similarly fascinating topics. With Easter coming up soon, I feel we should reopen the debate on the existence of the Easter Bunny. On shouldn't dismiss these ideas on the say-so of the New York Time and bunch of 'scientists' and 'experts' who go around calling themselves 'Dr' without having medical degrees. What good is all this 'fake science' compared to one's gut instinct and youtube?

Basically true. If aliens existed don’t you think one would have popped by to say hello by now after a couple thousand years.

If big foot existed he’d be working behind a fast food counter in the US by now, getting shot at in the Middle East or if you have seen the movie deliverance would have been violated badly in those woods.

All complete nonsense to entertain the weak minded

The only thing I find remotely interesting is the theory around the Bermuda Triangle. Not sure you can paint that as a coincidence

Post #480108  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Basically true. If aliens existed don’t you think one would have popped by to say hello by now after a couple thousand years.

Ah, OK, so basically what you are saying is that there is no life anywhere else in the universe and beyond.........well, thanks for that quite remarkable insight and for clearing the matter up once and for all.

Knowing everything about the universe, as well as about football........I just marvel at your wisdom and intellect. :laughing7:

Post #480109  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:21 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ah, OK, so basically what you are saying is that there is no life anywhere else in the universe and beyond.........well, thanks for that quite remarkable insight and for clearing the matter up once and for all.

There’s no factual evidence to suggest intelligent life exists in our own solar system apart from us. It may grate with you but is the truth. Despite landing on moons and planets we’ve found nothing.

If you choose to live in a parallel universe outside of reality your choice.

Post #480110  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:26 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Wow. Interesting. What is the most compelling information for you?

For me, an alien landing in America is convenient. Of all the places in the world, America? Not that I don't think it couldn't have happened. In middle school we had to do a book report on 'Chariot of the Gods'. I don't think teachers can get away with that these days in many school districts in the states.

It is fascinating though. There is an ongoing 'urban legend' of sorts that the Defense department gave U.S. corporations secrets from the aliens and ship to re-engineer and make products out of it. Supposedly, instant pictures from Polaroid were part of this.

Also, that its kept secret from all presidents for 'plausible deniability' reasons. Again, stories, but its rumored that presidents have asked if it was true and were rebuffed.

Post #480111  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

There’s no factual evidence to suggest intelligent life exists in our own solar system apart from us. It may grate with you but is the truth. Despite landing on moons and planets we’ve found nothing.

I think it would be difficult to categorically state there is no other form of life 'out there', just as it is impossible to prove that there is. My stance is I'll believe it when science shows it to me but it wouldn't surprise me if at some point in the future we did find life (and I don't mean human shaped green people), just 'life'. The reason for that is the advances in thinking and technology. We're discovering new things on our own planet daily, there are various caves in the world that we know so little about, we know more about our own solar system than we do parts of the deepest oceans. Not that long ago the collective thinking was the world was flat (some think it still is!) So based on there being infinitely more things we don't know about the universe than we do know I'd say the chances of other 'life' out there remain pretty high

Post #480112  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:42 am 

https://www.football365.com/news/kane-b ... ays-merson

Merson talks some nonsense at times. His basis for rating Kane above Lewandowski is that Lewandoski didn't do anything at the last world cup and Kane won the golden boot. Talk about using one thing without context to frame your argument. Lewandowski plays for an inferior team with Poland and half of Kane's goals were penalties. Of course Kane is an exceptional player but Lewandowski is just better. Look at what he's done in the champions league. Lewandowski was totally robbed of the Balon D'or last year simply because they didn't host an award. He's got 40+ goals in the last 6 seasons (Kane has done that once in his career) and is already on 42 goals from 36 games this season, not to mention the bundles and bundles of trophies he's won.

Lewandowski has 263 goals in his last 276 appearances for his club
Kane has 176 goals in his last 250 over the same 6 seasons
Lewandowski's entire career goals to games ratio is 0.69 compared to Kane's0.59

Lewandowski for me is quite simply the best striker on the planet right now.

Kane will probably go on to break the england goal scoring record and the all time premier league goal scoring record but that will be it unless he goes somewhere in wins big trophies. We remember Shearer as a great striker (who did win the premier league) but he's not a patch on Henry in all time premier league rankings

Post #480113  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:47 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think it would be difficult to categorically state there is no other form of life 'out there', just as it is impossible to prove that there is. My stance is I'll believe it when science shows it to me but it wouldn't surprise me if at some point in the future we did find life (and I don't mean human shaped green people), just 'life'. The reason for that is the advances in thinking and technology. We're discovering new things on our own planet daily, there are various caves in the world that we know so little about, we know more about our own solar system than we do parts of the deepest oceans. Not that long ago the collective thinking was the world was flat (some think it still is!) So based on there being infinitely more things we don't know about the universe than we do know I'd say the chances of other 'life' out there remain pretty high

There’s may be some evidence of organic life occurring on mars but I was referring to intelligent life and these 2 clowns are talking about Bigfoot, yetis, alien technology advancements and conspiracies and ghosts !

AG is kinda right when he says it’s too convenient it’s always in the us being suggested as the landing spot for alien life as they only account for 4% of the global population.

So in summary no Alien life in our lifetime mate but we may see Martinelli again.

Try space mountain at Disney Florida soc , it’s as good as its gonna get

Post #480114  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:10 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Knowing everything about the universe, as well as about football........I just marvel at your wisdom and intellect. :laughing7:

Of course there are many who do think that aliens are frequent visitors to our shores.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBV0EoJJY8

Post #480115  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:36 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/kane-better-than-lewandowski-says-merson

Merson talks some nonsense at times. His basis for rating Kane above Lewandowski is that Lewandoski didn't do anything at the last world cup and Kane won the golden boot. Talk about using one thing without context to frame your argument. Lewandowski plays for an inferior team with Poland and half of Kane's goals were penalties. Of course Kane is an exceptional player but Lewandowski is just better. Look at what he's done in the champions league. Lewandowski was totally robbed of the Balon D'or last year simply because they didn't host an award. He's got 40+ goals in the last 6 seasons (Kane has done that once in his career) and is already on 42 goals from 36 games this season, not to mention the bundles and bundles of trophies he's won.

Lewandowski has 263 goals in his last 276 appearances for his club
Kane has 176 goals in his last 250 over the same 6 seasons
Lewandowski's entire career goals to games ratio is 0.69 compared to Kane's0.59

Lewandowski for me is quite simply the best striker on the planet right now.

Kane will probably go on to break the england goal scoring record and the all time premier league goal scoring record but that will be it unless he goes somewhere in wins big trophies. We remember Shearer as a great striker (who did win the premier league) but he's not a patch on Henry in all time premier league rankings

I'd agree with your conclusion regarding Lewandowski. However, if Kane played for Bayern rather than Spurs he'd be getting a lot more goals.

Post #480116  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Considering the sheer size of the known or observable universe I find it almost impossible to accept that earth is the only planet capable of supporting life. The star in our solar system is obviously the Sun and it has eight planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. It used to have nine before Pluto was demoted from a planet. So far, the Earth is the only planet known to have life but there is growing evidence that water used to be on Mars, meaning life was possible there.

But I think of it this way. There are allegedly 200 billion stars in our galaxy. If they all have eight (or once nine) planets circling round them as the Sun in our solar system does, there are 1,600 billion planets in our galaxy. Will Earth seriously be the only one with life? 1,600 to 1,800 billion (as not everyone agrees that Pluto shouldn’t be considered one) is a seriously big number of planets in our galaxy.

But it goes further than that. In the observable universe there are up to 2 trillion galaxies. If our solar system is average (and I’ve little doubt it may not be as the Sun is apparently a fairly small star), that would mean there are some 1,600 billion multiplied by up to 2 trillion planets in the observable universe. The idea that none of them apart from Earth has life looks, to me at least, statistically remote.

Also, the actual number of planets can possibly be increased many times because what’s the current observable universe may not be the entire universe. If the universe includes everything, I find it impossible to believe there’s an astronomical brick wall that marks the end or outer limits of the universe. It just means, in my view, there are loads more planets in the universe beyond the 1,600 billion multiplied by up to 2 trillion planets that haven’t yet been observed or discovered.

Post #480117  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:52 pm 

Decaf wrote:
I'd agree with your conclusion regarding Lewandowski. However, if Kane played for Bayern rather than Spurs he'd be getting a lot more goals.

I agree. It’s a lot easier to score for Bayern than Tottenham. Would Bayern swap Lewandowski for Kane? I reckon so, and I’m not sure that’s only down to their ages.

Post #480118  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Considering the sheer size of the known or observable universe I find it almost impossible to accept that earth is the only planet capable of supporting life. The star in our solar system is obviously the Sun and it has eight planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. It used to have nine before Pluto was demoted from a planet. So far, the Earth is the only planet known to have life but there is growing evidence that water used to be on Mars, meaning life was possible there.

But I think of it this way. There are allegedly 200 billion stars in our galaxy. If they all have eight (or once nine) planets circling round them as the Sun in our solar system does, there are 1,600 billion planets in our galaxy. Will Earth seriously be the only one with life? 1,600 to 1,800 billion (as not everyone agrees that Pluto shouldn’t be considered one) is a seriously big number of planets in our galaxy.

But it goes further than that. In the observable universe there are up to 2 trillion galaxies. If our solar system is average (and I’ve little doubt it may not be as the Sun is apparently a fairly small star), that would mean there are some 1,600 billion multiplied by up to 2 trillion planets in the observable universe. The idea that none of them apart from Earth has life looks, to me at least, statistically remote.

Also, the actual number of planets can possibly be increased many times because what’s the current observable universe may not be the entire universe. If the universe includes everything, I find it impossible to believe there’s an astronomical brick wall that marks the end or outer limits of the universe. It just means, in my view, there are loads more planets in the universe beyond the 1,600 billion multiplied by up to 2 trillion planets that haven’t yet been observed or discovered.

Surely though without solving time travel it’s not possible for alien life to reach us on earth and they certainly aren’t around in our galaxy as we’d have known by now.

On the basis it takes 7 months to fly to mars ?

What’s your thoughts on the iPad 10 actually being based on alien technology and the US army being scared of a yeti ?

Post #480119  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Logically, there must be life out there.

Even if we ignore other life forms, the chance of carbon-based life on any planet that has a reasonably earth-like mix of the right elements (carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen etc.) and temperature is almost 100%. Its almost inevitable that interesting organic reactions will occur, and in fact 'new life' is sparking even on earth all the time. Furthermore, there are bound to be such planets. I believe they've already located a few possible one. In any case the logic of 1600 billion x 2 trillion x any number greater than zero suggests there is definitely life out there.

However the other part of the logic is that the closest of such planets are hundreds of light-years away, and even if they were looking for other habitable planets, the odds that they would find us, at exactly the right time (the few thousand years that humanity has been much more than a bunch of apes is just a blink in cosmic terms) are diminishingly small.

So basically you've got the law of large numbers working for and against you here, with the 'against' dominating regarding our chances of ever encountering sentient aliens.

Of course, one such sentient bunch of aliens, who just happen to be content just to observe us rather that eat us, and clever enough to get here in numbers yet stupid enough to crash, get spotted in flying saucers, etc, may have found us.

The alternative explanation is that aliens fall in the same class as Bigfoot and Nessy, and those missing votes in Georgia.

Post #480120  Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Surely though without solving time travel it’s not possible for alien life to reach us on earth and they certainly aren’t around in our galaxy as we’d have known by now.

On the basis it takes 7 months to fly to mars ?

I wouldn't be so sure. The pace of technological advance is mind-boggling and seems to be accelerating. Imagine what our Victorian ancestors would make of the theory of relativity bluetooth technology, GPS, 3-D printing (I just can't wrap my head around that) and the fact that we can now get to Mars!

[ 526021 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12000, 12001, 12002, 12003, 12004, 12005, 12006 ... 13151  Next