Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 215 guests

Post #480001  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:40 am 

Bbc winning the coverage battle so far but watching Wright’s banter Roy Keane and others on ITV has been hysterical.

Post #480002  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:11 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Sorry for the Swedes..

I'm not. If you defend that deep, especially when the opposition a man down, you are asking for it. Craven stuff.

Post #480003  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 am 

gooner7 wrote:
6-0 England. Will they get to double digits before the end of the match? Panama deserves to be embarrassed, some of their players are downright dirty in their play.

I reckon they could have and I wish they had. Panama were a disgrace.

Lingard looked great after his knock on the head. Kane has ice in his veins and the luck of the devil.

Post #480004  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Never seen a Swedish team cause this much trouble for Germany. Could've scored three goals and I think it was a penalty on Berg as well. Germany look completely disoriented.

There were two good penalty claims early on which the ref ridiculously ignored.

Bloody Germans. Back to their old MO of stinking the place out and yet somehow still coming through. More Zermürbungskrieg than Blitzkrieg.

Post #480005  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:38 am 

gooner7, you said yourself, Muller is not a dirty player. I did that post because you said he was. Niggly, yes. But no way dirty.

Post #480006  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:29 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Never seen a Swedish team cause this much trouble for Germany. Could've scored three goals and I think it was a penalty on Berg as well. Germany look completely disoriented.

There were two good penalty claims early on which the ref ridiculously ignored.

Bloody Germans. Back to their old MO of stinking the place out and yet somehow still coming through. More Zermürbungskrieg than Blitzkrieg.

30 seconds from going out. Gutted. Ah well our boys will just have to a number on the Germans, should our paths cross. It's long overdue.

Post #480007  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bbc winning the coverage battle so far but watching Wright’s banter Roy Keane and others on ITV has been hysterical.

Not to mention Wrighty's shirts. They're a bit urgent.

Post #480008  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7, you said yourself, Muller is not a dirty player. I did that post because you said he was. Niggly, yes. But no way dirty.

Ok, I concede. He's niggly.

Post #480009  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:33 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Ok, I concede. He's niggly.

Niggly’s just a variant of dirty

Post #480010  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:09 pm 

dec wrote:
...Best kit of this tournament has been Peru's with that wonderful red sash.
Yes it is a top kit, as is the traditional blue and black of Uruguay.
On Germany, this may not be their usual strong squad but they are great fighters and a team. Gutted as I was for Sweden it would have been a travesty if Germany had not won that match. For me Germany remain the side to beat.

Post #480011  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm 

Ash wrote:

Suppose you see fairly bright as a variant of genius.

Post #480012  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 pm 

Another cracking game and Spain snatching a draw by the look of things against a really spirited Morocco side.
And Iran score a late equalizer against Portugal looks like Spain might win the group .
What a world cup I'm absolutely loving it so far.
Group winners play Russia and second play Uruguay - a far tougher opponent I'd say.

Post #480013  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:02 pm 

Huge RESPECT to both Iran and Morroco :53big-emoticons:

Post #480014  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 pm 

The Iranians were making unnecessary threats all game

Post #480015  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 pm 

The VAR wouldn’t be an issue if the refs had bollocks to maintain a correct decision, as soon as it goes to VAR it’s getting given once it’s been slowed down.

Post #480016  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The VAR wouldn’t be an issue if the refs had bollocks to maintain a correct decision, as soon as it goes to VAR it’s getting given once it’s been slowed down.

It's a shambles. Blatant red card for Ronaldo not given. Maybe the ref was told not to send him off. The Iran peno was daft and then you had the Serbian forward being rugby tackled by two Swiss defenders the other night and the ref doesn't go to VAR and gives a free out.

Post #480017  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It's a shambles. Blatant red card for Ronaldo not given. Maybe the ref was told not to send him off.

I didn’t think it was. Agreed it was yellow. The Iran player was acting up and exaggerating some niggles.

I think the main problem now is certain teams are literally playing to a slow motion VAR decision so are play acting. The Iran penalty was ludicrous just absolutely insane.

Post #480018  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:05 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
It's a shambles. Blatant red card for Ronaldo not given. Maybe the ref was told not to send him off.

I didn’t think it was. Agreed it was yellow. The Iran player was acting up and exaggerating some niggles..

I don't think Ronaldo's one was worthy of a red either. If a red for that was applied as the decision consistently, eleven a side games would finish as five a side matches. For me a yellow was right.

Mark Lawrenson was the BBC's co-commentator for the game. He didn't think Portugal's penalty should have been given because Ronaldo wasn't in full control of the ball. Does that matter, even if he wasn't? I'd have thought a penalty should be awarded for fouls in the area regardless of whether the attacking player has full cmtrol of the ball.

Post #480019  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:11 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Another cracking game and Spain snatching a draw by the look of things against a really spirited Morocco side.
And Iran score a late equalizer against Portugal looks like Spain might win the group .
Group winners play Russia and second play Uruguay - a far tougher opponent I'd say.

Portugal now get Uruguay. Shame as I'd have been interested to see Torreira against Spain's midfield.

Post #480020  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 am 

It was a deliberate elbow to the face. That is classed as violent conduct and a red card. There is no yellow card sanction for deliberately elbowing an opponent. The yellow shown by the ref was a cop out. As Liam Brady said on Rte, Fifa don't want a star playeri missing 3 games of the world cup.

Post #480021  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:00 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I didn’t think it was. Agreed it was yellow. The Iran player was acting up and exaggerating some niggles..

I don't think Ronaldo's one was worthy of a red either. If a red for that was applied as the decision consistently, eleven a side games would finish as five a side matches. For me a yellow was right.

Mark Lawrenson was the BBC's co-commentator for the game. He didn't think Portugal's penalty should have been given because Ronaldo wasn't in full control of the ball. Does that matter, even if he wasn't? I'd have thought a penalty should be awarded for fouls in the area regardless of whether the attacking player has full cmtrol of the ball.

For me I agreed with Lawrenson. He wasnt in control of the ball fully but there was also something else about it that made it look a pre orchestrated attempt to run into the box and fall over. You have to be convinced and I wasn’t. When you slow everything down to examine the slightest touch it practically makes a far more likely chance of getting a decision and there will be a record amounts of penalties in this world cup

If you think the VAR madness is bad now imagine what it will be like when we reach the knockout stages. Some of the cheating in the World Cup has been shocking

Post #480022  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:01 am 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Portugal now get Uruguay. Shame as I'd have been interested to see Torreira against Spain's midfield.

I'm picking Uruguay to beat Portugal.

Post #480023  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 am 

dec wrote:
It was a deliberate elbow to the face. That is classed as violent conduct and a red card. There is no yellow card sanction for deliberately elbowing an opponent. The yellow shown by the ref was a cop out. As Liam Brady said on Rte, Fifa don't want a star playeri missing 3 games of the world cup.

I’m not sure there was much actual contact. Not like the guy walked away with a broken nose.

Post #480024  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

For me I agreed with Lawrenson. He wasnt in control of the ball fully but there was also something else about it that made it look a pre orchestrated attempt to run into the box and fall over. You have to be convinced and I wasn’t. When you slow everything down to examine the slightest touch it practically makes a far more likely chance of getting a decision and there will be a record amounts of penalties in this world cup

If you think the VAR madness is bad now imagine what it will be like when we reach the knockout stages. Some of the cheating in the World Cup has been shocking

There were two interesting ones in the Morocco game.

For the first Morocco goal, Ramos got his studs into the attacker's foot. This was only visible on the slow motion replay. Had the attacker gone down it would have been a red card without doubt. But he stayed on his feet and scored.

For Spain's equaliser, the assistant ref ruled it offside. On var it looked exactly in line so the goal stood. However, a) if it looks exactly in line how can the var officials be sure it wasn't a milimetre offside? How fine is the resolution? b) should they be interfering with such close ones?

Post #480025  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:55 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'm picking Uruguay to beat Portugal.

I'm hoping Uruguay beats Protugal

Post #480026  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:26 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

I’m not sure there was much actual contact. Not like the guy walked away with a broken nose.

If it had been the other way round would the Iranian have been sent off?

Neymar not getting a yellow for that dive also makes it a bit of a mockery. How can that not be a yellow card?

Post #480027  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'm just not sure whether it even matters if he wasn't fully in control of the ball. Penalties can, and sometimes are, given when defenders hold forwards when a corner is on its way into the box. The ball can be feet or even yards from them, so nobody will have it under control. The issue is surely whether Ronaldo was actually fouled in the box, which may be debatable, not whether he was fully in control of the ball. But it was the control issue that Lawrenson seemed to focus on.

EDIT: Oh dear. Non-yellow again.

Post #480028  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'm just not sure whether it even matters if he wasn't fully in control of the ball. Penalties can, and sometimes are, given when defenders hold forwards when a corner is on its way into the box. The ball can be feet or even yards from them, so nobody will have it under control. The issue is surely whether Ronaldo was actually fouled in the box, which may be debatable, not whether he was fully in control of the ball. But it was the control issue that Lawrenson seemed to focus on.

EDIT: Oh dear. Non-yellow again.

But you said you don't like yellow? :1laughter:

But I agree with your point about fouls. The control issue is silly.

Post #480029  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:52 am 

I just know replied to posts should appear in yellow.

Post #480030  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

There were two interesting ones in the Morocco game.

For the first Morocco goal, Ramos got his studs into the attacker's foot. This was only visible on the slow motion replay. Had the attacker gone down it would have been a red card without doubt. But he stayed on his feet and scored.

For Spain's equaliser, the assistant ref ruled it offside. On var it looked exactly in line so the goal stood. However, a) if it looks exactly in line how can the var officials be sure it wasn't a milimetre offside? How fine is the resolution? b) should they be interfering with such close ones?

That’s the thing it’s definately a good thing in many ways but I have a feeling it’s going to simply act as a magnifier for play acting as the competition increases and the stakes get higher

Post #480031  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:03 pm 

You're all missing the important discussion about yesterdays football - what on earth were Russia doing when Suarez scored. Look at the Russian player to the left of the wall.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ZfQr0kRZY[/youtube]

Post #480032  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:03 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
You're all missing the important discussion about yesterdays football - what on earth were Russia doing when Suarez scored. Look at the Russian player to the left of the wall.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ZfQr0kRZY[/youtube]

Looks like FIFA shut you down. They might be onto us. To be fair though, they probably followed Babu here.

Post #480033  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Suppose you see fairly bright as a variant of genius.

:laughing7:

Sorry, mostly winding you up.

Post #480034  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:21 pm 

I have repaired and optimised the forums database tables. Things should be a bit zippier now.

Post #480035  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:45 pm 

warrior wrote:
I have repaired and optimised the forums database tables. Things should be a bit zippier now.

And a bit yellower too (in Bernard’s case). :laughing7:

Post #480036  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

And a bit yellower too (in Bernard’s case). :laughing7:

Yeah - I created a new user for him but it still played up once just before (above).
Edit - Fixed now and I know what it is.

Post #480037  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I just know replied to posts should appear in yellow.

Bernard - Please do not tick the box that says "Disable BBCode" when posting.

Disabling Bulletin Board code causes all formatting to be dropped which makes your posts with quotes not appear in yellow.

I was wondering why it was only affecting your account. Anyway, now I know why.

Post #480038  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:24 pm 

Bernard2 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Jack Wilshere is about to Join palace apparently so there will be much change next year.

The Mirror says he'll leave but don't mention Palace as one of his destination options.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... 721052.amp

EDIT: Bugger. The replied to post isn't in yellow. Rog, after the problems I've had in getting back on the forum, my vote is to leave things as they are. It didn't used to happen every time I posted a reply.

Yep - Confirmed - All your old posts with problems have had their BB Code disabled which makes quotes not come out as yellow.

I have checked your account and BBCode is indeed enabled by default. You need to leave that box unchecked when posting.

Post #480039  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:25 pm 

Ever Banega has been rumoured to us. Really like him, a good mix of skill and positional awareness. Puts a shift in defensively as well. That was a lovely pass to Messi for the goal.

Post #480040  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:35 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Ever Banega has been rumoured to us. Really like him, a good mix of skill and positional awareness. Puts a shift in defensively as well. That was a lovely pass to Messi for the goal.

Was just about to post the same thing. Criminal that he didn’t start their opening two games. It’s obviously going to be all about Messi but Benega is controlling the game

[ 563336 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11998, 11999, 12000, 12001, 12002, 12003, 12004 ... 14084  Next