Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], john1, mcquilkie and 278 guests

Post #472241  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
We have a minuscule squad and first 11 no way are we favourites

We don't have much in terms of squad depth, but I'd much rather have the better starting eleven than the deepest squad. It's why Liverpool can challenge - and even beat - Man City. I think our starting eleven is clearly superior to Tottenham and Man Utd, and more importantly we have more points than they do. We're clearly favorites at this point.

Post #472242  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Is this in our hands ? Bollocks is it

If we get 7 points from the next 9 maybe. St Mary’s won’t be easy ? Brighton not sure.

The next 3 are critical if we can lead the rest after that all bets are off.

The expression ‘in your own hands’ is used towards the end of the season to show who has the relative advantage points wise in the number of games to be played. If Arsenal, Tottenham,Manchester United and West Ham all win their remaining games, each club would finish with the following points.

Arsenal 84
Tottenham 78
Manchester United 77
West Ham 75

So considering how the expression is used, it clearly is in Arsenal’s own hands.

Having said that, those clubs won’t all win each of their remaining games. They can’t do as some still have to meet each other. I thus agree that we’re not safe in any way, shape or form and it is still all to play for.

But how the expression is used, it is most definitely in Arsenal’s own hands.

It ain’t r%$&^*

Post #472243  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The expression ‘in your own hands’ is used towards the end of the season to show who has the relative advantage points wise in the number of games to be played. If Arsenal, Tottenham,Manchester United and West Ham all win their remaining games, each club would finish with the following points.

Arsenal 84
Tottenham 78
Manchester United 77
West Ham 75

So considering how the expression is used, it clearly is in Arsenal’s own hands.

Having said that, those clubs won’t all win each of their remaining games. They can’t do as some still have to meet each other. I thus agree that we’re not safe in any way, shape or form and it is still all to play for.

It ain’t r%$&^*

I don’t know what r%$&^* is supposed to mean. But look at the possible points for each side:

Arsenal 84
Tottenham 78
Manchester United 77
West Ham 75

It clearly is in Arsenal’s own hands. There’s still a long way to go, there’s still a lot to play for, things aren’t safe, and there are difficult fixtures remaining for each club.

But how the expression is commonly used, it is clearly is in Arsenal’s own hands.

Post #472244  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It ain’t r%$&^*

I don’t know what r%$&^* is supposed to mean. But look at the possible points for each side:

Arsenal 84
Tottenham 78
Manchester United 77
West Ham 75

It clearly is in Arsenal’s own hands. There’s still a long way to go, there’s still a lot to play for, things aren’t safe, and there are difficult fixtures remaining for each club.

But how the expression is commonly used, it is clearly is in Arsenal’s own hands.

Stuffy moralising

Post #472245  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:49 pm 

Bernard wrote:
If I was a Villa fan I’d be disappointed Martinez didn’t keep the goal out. It wasn’t hit that hard and wasn’t in the corner of the goal either.

Having just watched MOTD, I’m even more convinced about that I said above (post 544424, page 13611). I would expect a top keeper to keep Saka’s shot out. I’d be disappointed if either Leno or Ramsdale had let it in, and I’d expect Manchester United’s De Gea to as well (a great shot stopper, albeit other aspects of his game may not be at the same level as his shot stopping). Leicester’s Schmeichel and Chelsea’s Mendy too.

I think Martinez is a fine keeper with a very good all round game. But he could have done better with our goal today. Gladly he didn’t.

Post #472246  Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Arsenal 84
Tottenham 78
Manchester United 77
West Ham 75

Stuffy moralising

You call it stuffy moralising. I see it as using the expression ‘in your own hands’ how it’s commonly meant.

Post #472247  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:45 am 

long time gooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Happy for Leno :58big-emoticons:

Happy for me. :laughing7:

Happy for you and me :58big-emoticons:

Post #472248  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:46 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
What’s noticeable is there is no passenger. Everyone is fighting for the ball there’s no Özil type meandering all over the pitch and even Ødegaard has adapted his style to chase and Harry the opposition and he’s becoming very adept at winning the ball back.

That’s good coaching. The players are motivated and organised. Mikel deserves tons of credit

Spot on, that is the huge difference in this Arsenal team. No passengers, all fighters.

Post #472249  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:52 am 

Rich wrote:
david.d wrote:
Was so worried about this game.
Villa away always a tricky game.
Out of the last 3 this was the one that worried the most.
6 points from 9 *%^@*** brilliant!!!!

I too was worried about this. The lack of rest, the effort put (in vain) in v Liverpool and Villa have been flying at home. Tv cameras, early game….it had all the omens.
The first half dominance was brilliant. Second half was about holding what he have.

I said a while back I thought our defence would be the defining factor in the top 4 race and that our threadbare striker situation (numbers, quality and goals) would be less important. Hopefully it’s proving the case right now. Spurs and Man U look miles off is defensively and in terms of playing like a team with clear tactics and everyone working in tune. They’re both still reliant on moments from individuals

There is better understanding and communication within this defensive unit. Kudos to Arteta and Jover. It is pleasantly shocking that we have not conceded from a corner all season (what's the count now?). What a difference from when every corner was a worry for us.

Post #472250  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:53 am 

Rich wrote:
https://twitter.com/now_arsenai/status/1505218243652431877?s=21

This is why refs need to explain their decisions and actions. Ref books Xhaka by pointing and saying ‘1, 2, 3’ That foul was his first foul so either the ref has just made up the other fouls or he’s counting team fouls as that was Arsenal’s 3rd foul as a team. I actually don’t know which one is worse but it continues to point to Arsenal and some of our players in particularly being targeted by refs

Yes, it was frustrating. Cash should have had a card way before he committed his fourth foul.

Post #472251  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:55 am 

Bored wrote:
That was a huge result today. I was worried beforehand but I cannot deny that Arteta has created a really effective team which is starting to look the part. There is still a long way to go however, so all this talk about Arsenal being on course for top 4 doesnt really sit well with me at all. The consecutive matches against Chelsea, Man U and West Ham looks crucial and a nerve racking. But right now the team is playing well and looks surprisingly focused. The only negative from today was the performance of Nketiah and Pépé who offered very little and in Pépé's case put us under uneccessary pressure at the end.

Poor Pépé tried too hard, and got in his own way :42laughter:

Post #472252  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:56 am 

Rich wrote:
Ashley Young on #Arsenal's celebrations at the end: "You saw the way they celebrated, to be honest it was like they won the league. But it shows they found it tough [against us]"

Ahahaha

Another sour grape. It was more than that, it showed the great team spirit.

Post #472253  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If we get 7 points from the next 9 maybe. St Mary’s won’t be easy ? Brighton not sure.

Arsenal 84
Tottenham 78
Manchester United 77
West Ham 75

Well said Bernard, it was but a simple expression commonly used. Why do we even need to debate the expression?

Post #472254  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:19 am 

We have a decent amount of time to rest up and get our bearings before Palace. They will be a tough nut to crack :42laughter:

No one would be surprised if we got a draw. However, we are more than capable of getting all 3 points and I expect it given the circumstances and our current ambitions.

Post #472255  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:15 am 

I don't know if anyone on the back pages have discussed the likelihood of it, but Liverpool's current form suggests its not that inconceivable they could run the table on trophies! All 4 competitions.

Has anyone done the domestic treble (league title, FA cup and League cup) in the same season? And if they win the CL, and the domestic cups and title?! Wow, not inconceivable and yes, a lot of luck would have to happen just like it did with Ferguson. Save for a Giggs run (we should have fouled him) and Bayern Munich not scoring a second time after hitting the post, once or twice was it? They'd have lost it.

It's crazy to think could happen. Did Milan do it with their great early 90s teams? I don't think Real Madrid or Barca has, but I am guessing. Maybe Juve? Or even BM?

Post #472256  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:19 am 

He won't get it probably but Arteta should be in the conversation at least for manager of the year.
I think the short list should be:

Klopp
Moyes
Arteta
Pep
honorable mention: Lage

Post #472257  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Arsenal 84
Tottenham 78
Manchester United 77
West Ham 75

Absolutely correct.

https://languagecaster.com/languagecast ... own-hands/

Post #472258  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:58 am 

If we’re looking to replace Xhaka in the summer for me it looks like the best way to do it is from outside the prem league. There have been lots of prem players names thrown around and unless we’re buying on potential (which I think would be wrong) I don’t actually see that many significant upgrades who are realistically getable. Xhaka is playing very well right now and his partnership with Partey is dominating central midfields up and down the country.

Post #472259  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:02 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't know if anyone on the back pages have discussed the likelihood of it, but Liverpool's current form suggests its not that inconceivable they could run the table on trophies! All 4 competitions.

Has anyone done the domestic treble (league title, FA cup and League cup) in the same season?

Weird sense of deju vu here.

I'm fairly certain you asked exactly this question about a year ago and received the answer.

Googling, or a memory superior that that of a goldfish, would also supply the answer.

Post #472260  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:08 am 

Rich wrote:
If we’re looking to replace Xhaka in the summer for me it looks like the best way to do it is from outside the prem league. There have been lots of prem players names thrown around and unless we’re buying on potential (which I think would be wrong) I don’t actually see that many significant upgrades who are realistically getable. Xhaka is playing very well right now and his partnership with Partey is dominating central midfields up and down the country.

I would prefer to see it happening organically. i.e. someone in the squad grabbing their chance when Xhaka is out. Trying to replace a player who is a first team starter is a big risk. Xhaka has his issues, but our midfield is working fine so why mess with it?

More generally, with the exception of striker, I reckon we will be looking to strengthen the squad with players with big potential, rather than buying players who would slot straight into the team.

Post #472261  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:55 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

I would prefer to see it happening organically. i.e. someone in the squad grabbing their chance when Xhaka is out. Trying to replace a player who is a first team starter is a big risk. Xhaka has his issues, but our midfield is working fine so why mess with it?

More generally, with the exception of striker, I reckon we will be looking to strengthen the squad with players with big potential, rather than buying player who would slot straight into the team.

Lokonga looks the only option organically, as you define it. Who else is there? AMN when he returns from loan? Still strikes me as more of a right back than midfielder. Elneny? No chance, although I think he’s a bit better than some have claimed.

Am I right in thinking the contracts of AMN and Elneny expire this summer? If I am then both their departures appear likely. Would we then be left with Lonkonga to cover not only Xhaka but Partey too? Or have I forgotten someone already in the squad, or am unaware of a bright prospect in the youth set up?

Lokonga’s first season arguably hasn’t gone quite as well as he and Arteta were probably hoping, and he doesn’t currently threaten Xhaka’s place as a first team regular. But I hope the potential is there for Lokonga to improve significantly.

EDIT: It seems AMN’s contract expires in 2023, so not this summer.

Post #472262  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:53 am 

Partey is fast becoming our most important player. After a slowish, injury-interupted debut season he is now showing an increasing ability to consistently control the midfield in Vieira-like fashion, allowing others to play. He's a physical specimen which helps and together with his undoubted technical ability he really has looked the closest thing we've had to Vieira since he left.

I thought he was excellent against both City and Liverpool, we just didn't quite have the personnel to deliver on the measure of control he was able to give us in those games.

Post #472263  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:57 am 

We seem to look slightly better balanced with Emile Smith Rowe on the left, he seems to float across the ground and his style of play seems to complement Tierney. However, it is difficult to drop Martinelli so its an interesting one for Arteta to work out. Not sure how we can get both in the side without dropping Lacazette, which would be a big risk so late in the season.

Post #472264  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:00 am 

The last 3 prem games have had winners scored by arsenal academy players. Iwobi, Ayling, Saka

Post #472265  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:05 am 

socrates wrote:
We seem to look slightly better balanced with Emile Smith Rowe on the left, he seems to float across the ground and his style of play seems to complement Tierney. However, it is difficult to drop Martinelli so its an interesting one for Arteta to work out. Not sure how we can get both in the side without dropping Lacazette, which would be a big risk so late in the season.

The biggest thing Emile Smith Rowe adds over Martinelli is making late runs in to the 6 yard box when the ball is on the right hand side (saka).
Emile Smith Rowe can be used to give Ødegaard a rest as well.

Striker is the main area to strengthen in the summer but a central midfielder who can play as an 8 or a 10 would be very useful as well

Post #472266  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:20 am 

16 more points than last season at the same stage.

Rival fans will point to 1 game a week and the biggest spend in Europe. The biggest spend in Europe is almost certainly hugely wide of the mark when looked at in net spend and including wages which in a lot of cases rose far higher than the transfer fee itself. Man U have committed £52m to Ronaldo in wages alone. Varane would be even more over the length of his contract.

Rival fans will say anything they can to diminish what’s going on at Arsenal right now, even down to telling us we’re celebrating wins too much! We just need to keep our heads down, keep winning and see where we are at the end

Post #472267  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:29 am 

Rich wrote:

Rival fans will point to 1 game a week and the biggest spend in Europe. The biggest spend in Europe is almost certainly hugely wide of the mark when looked at in net spend and including wages which in a lot of cases rose far higher than the transfer fee itself. Man U have committed £52m to Ronaldo in wages alone. Varane would be even more over the length of his contract.

Rival fans will say anything they can to diminish what’s going on at Arsenal right now, even down to telling us we’re celebrating wins too much! We just need to keep our heads down, keep winning and see where we are at the end

Yeah. It’s not right for the team and the fans to enjoy themselves. How dare they.

Post #472268  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

More generally, with the exception of striker, I reckon we will be looking to strengthen the squad with players with big potential, rather than buying player who would slot straight into the team.

Lokonga looks the only option organically, as you define it. Who else is there? AMN when he returns from loan? Still strikes me as more of a right back than midfielder. Elneny? No chance, although I think he’s a bit better than some have claimed.
r.

Agreed. That is why I think its essential to strengthen the squad behind the existing first choice midfielders. More Lokonga types (I don't mean exactly the same attributes, but the same profile in terms of potential).

Post #472269  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:32 am 

Roy Keane was (still is) big on Partey. He has taken far longer than I thought for him to show anything close to the player I thought we were getting. His shooting is way off target but he seems to be far more on target for Ghana and even for Atletico once in a while.

As for the left side, I agree that Emile Smith Rowe seems to work best with Tierney. I would like to see Martinelli as a lead center forward. I'd like to see him play a similar role Henry did. I'd like to see how that would work out. It might not but I'd like to see it tried.

I love Tierney's committment. I really do but I also seem him as a bit of a one trick pony. He's very uncomfortable on his right foot. he needs to work on that. He only seems to have one thing in his locker, use his pace to go left and cross. If he's over played left and forced on his right foot, he's stuck.

Post #472270  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:32 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yeah. It’s not right for the team and the fans to enjoy themselves. How dare they.

The fact that they clearly aren't enjoying it is not diminishing it for me at all. Long may they moan and gnash their teeth :laughing7: :laughing7: ... especially the ones who were laughing so hard after our first three games.

Post #472271  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:33 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

"No one likes us and we don't care"

I've adopted that mindset as well.

Post #472272  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:33 am 

I see that cart horse lewandowski bagged himself another 2 goals yesterday taking his total to 45 for the season. Pathetic effort

*%^@ off Lewandowski stay away from our club !

Post #472273  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:36 am 

Rich wrote:

Further to this point, I don't think it's fair to look at spending in just one window. We had a big rebuild on our hands, of course we're going to spend more than Man City who already have a finished squad. Their need to spend last summer wasn't very big, because they've already spent a fortune assembling their squad - I had a quick look at their starting eleven in their last game and the average cost of those 11 players was £49m. And that's with an academy player starting.

Post #472274  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I see that cart horse lewandowski bagged himself another 2 goals yesterday taking his total to 45 for the season. Pathetic effort

Aubameyang is scoring regularly now. Perhaps we should put a bid in for him. :42laughter:

Post #472275  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:47 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Ashley Young on #Arsenal's celebrations at the end: "You saw the way they celebrated, to be honest it was like they won the league. But it shows they found it tough [against us]"

Ahahaha

Another sour grape. It was more than that, it showed the great team spirit.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Ashley Young who is a diving, cheating, cry baby, prat.

Post #472276  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:37 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I’m not aware of anyone calling Lewandowski a cart horse. What I did is question the wisdom of signing a player who, depending on when the 2022/23 Premier League season starts, may well already be 34 before playing for us (his birthday is in August).

Considering the problems we faced in getting rid of Özil and Aubameyang when they had been given extremely lucrative contracts in their thirties, I really don’t think it’s unreasonable to express such doubts.

Especially as Lewandowski is on £369k a week, so £19.2m a year, at Bayern. Giving him a two year contract meeting his salary at Bayern would therefore cost £38.4m. Added to which his Bayern contract doesn’t expire until the summer of 2023, so you can be damn sure they’d want a transfer fee that’s significant enough to tempt them to sell. What would that be? £30m doesn’t sound an outlandish possibility. Taking account of wages and a transfer fee, for a two year contract it could thus cost Arsenal £68.4m to sign a player in his mid-30s, so inevitably on his way down.

I don’t think a remarkable scoring record for someone who plays for the biggest club and best team in what’s approaching an uncompetitive league (if Bayern win it, and they’re six points clear though Dortmund have a game in hand, this year will be their tenth Bundesliga title in a row), stops my question from being valid. Particularly as signing Lewandowski would contradict, if not reverse, Arsenal’s current transfer strategy of signing young and hungry players with the potential to improve.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... owski/amp/

Post #472277  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m not aware of anyone calling Lewandowski a cart horse. What I did is question the wisdom of signing a player who, depending on when the 2022/23 Premier League season starts, may well already be 34 before playing for us (his birthday is in August).

Considering the problems we faced in getting rid of Özil and Aubameyang when they had been given extremely lucrative contracts in their thirties, I really don’t think it’s unreasonable to express such doubts.

Especially as Lewandowski is on £369k a week, so £19.2m a year, at Bayern. Giving him a two year contract meeting his salary at Bayern would therefore cost £38.4m. Added to which his Bayern contract doesn’t expire until the summer of 2023, so you can be damn sure they’d want a transfer fee that’s significant enough to tempt them to sell. What would that be? £30m doesn’t sound an outlandish possibility. Taking account of wages and a transfer fee, for a two year contract it could thus cost Arsenal £68.4m to sign a player in his mid-30s, so inevitably on his way down.

I don’t think a remarkable scoring record for someone who plays for the biggest club and best team in what’s approaching an uncompetitive league

I think you have that the wrong way round. Players like Lewandowski are why Bayern is so formidable. His records for Dortmund and Poland prove that. Also, he's been formidable in the champions league, against the best defenders in the world.

There is obviously the chance that his form would drop for us. However I would be surprised if he wasn't able to score upwards of 20 goals combining with Saka, Ødegaard, etc.

For me, the big issue would be whether we need the drama of such a high profile signing.

Post #472278  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don’t think a remarkable scoring record for someone who plays for the biggest club and best team in what’s approaching an uncompetitive league (if Bayern win it, and they’re six points clear though Dortmund have a game in hand, this year will be their tenth Bundesliga title in a row), stops my question from being valid. Particularly as signing Lewandowski would contradict, if not reverse, Arsenal’s current transfer strategy of signing young and hungry players with the potential to improve.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... owski/amp/

:14laughter:

Post #472279  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:32 pm 

socrates wrote:

I would like to see us go with Emile Smith Rowe on the left, and Martinelli take on the Lacazette role. I'm optimistic, perhaps myopically, that it will work for us.

Post #472280  Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:48 pm 

Nice gif going round of Rob Holding coming on the pitch and holding up his fingers....5....2....3 He's come on in our last 3 away games to beef up the defence and seal the 1 goal victory. It is a nice tactic for Arteta to have up his sleeve.

[ 499796 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11804, 11805, 11806, 11807, 11808, 11809, 11810 ... 12495  Next